PDA

View Full Version : CAA Conference Scheduling 2015

KPSUL
November 6th, 2014, 10:04 AM
UNH just released its 2015 schedule and they are playing the same 8 conference opponents as 2014. No games with Nova, Towson and JMU for two consecutive years. Anyone know how that happens?

kdinva
November 6th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I would guess with twelve members (since adding Elon for 2014), these schedules are set for two years, with home/away switching. I would presume for 2016 & 2017, tweaks will be made.....

JMU2004
Maybe we're back to the old North/South pod scheduling? You play you pod every year, and rotate every 2 years among the other pod?

gumby013
Rotational scheduling is generally on a 2 year cycle of changes. That way each pairing gets a home and away game.

superman7515
November 6th, 2014, 10:56 AM
I would guess with twelve members (since adding Elon for 2014), these schedules are set for two years, with home/away switching. I would presume for 2016 & 2017, tweaks will be made.....

Not necessarily. Delaware hasn't had a home game with New Hampshire since 2006, next week will be our third road game at Durham since then.

@ New Hampshire in 2007
No game in 2008-2011
@ New Hampshire in 2012
No game in 2013
@ New Hampshire in 2014

kdinva
November 6th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Not necessarily. Delaware hasn't had a home game with New Hampshire since 2006, next week will be our third road game at Durham since then.

@ New Hampshire in 2007
No game in 2008-2011
@ New Hampshire in 2012
No game in 2013
@ New Hampshire in 2014

then the Delaware AD needs to be in conversation w/Mr. Yeager.......

UNH Fanboi
November 6th, 2014, 11:15 AM

@ New Hampshire in 2007
No game in 2008-2011
@ New Hampshire in 2012
No game in 2013
@ New Hampshire in 2014

It's ok, all those home games against D2 and MEAC teams make up for it ;-).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM

@ New Hampshire in 2007
No game in 2008-2011
@ New Hampshire in 2012
No game in 2013
@ New Hampshire in 2014

Supe, that happened because of all the teams joining and leaving the CAA the past years. They were forced back to the drawing board multiple times. With the league being back to 12 teams, the rotational schedule can happen again. Although to do that won't one of Nova, UDel and Towson have to be considered a "North" team even if there aren't formal divisions? Or have they figured out a rotation that doesn't require that and still allows the Nova-UDel season ending game ?

Gordon Shumway
November 6th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Supe, that happened because of all the teams joining and leaving the CAA the past years. They were forced back to the drawing board multiple times. With the league being back to 12 teams, the rotational schedule can happen again. Although to do that won't one of Nova, UDel and Towson have to be considered a "North" team even if there aren't formal divisions? Or have they figured out a rotation that doesn't require that and still allows the Nova-UDel season ending game ?

They could fix all the scheduling just by declaring Towson a north team for scheduling purposes, and go back to the old pod rotation every two years. Geographically, one of Nova or Delaware should be a north team, but there isn't that much difference between them and Towson. Whichever team gets called north will inherit some extra travel, which is likely why none of the three will want to be that team.

KPSUL
November 6th, 2014, 12:08 PM

@ New Hampshire in 2007
No game in 2008-2011
@ New Hampshire in 2012
No game in 2013
@ New Hampshire in 2014

The good news (for Delaware) is that the 2015 game is finally back in DE. Maybe they were just giving UNH a chance to catch up a bit in the series.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 6th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Would it be premature or fair to assume that everyone will have the same conference opponents next year?

Dane96
November 6th, 2014, 01:52 PM
See, this is what would not make sense; This would be year two of the round-robin. Albany has played the same teams home-home.

melloware13
November 6th, 2014, 02:09 PM
See, this is what would not make sense; This would be year two of the round-robin. Albany has played the same teams home-home.

Except it got skewed slightly by adding in Elon.

JMU2004
November 6th, 2014, 02:34 PM
JMU 2015

http://jmusports.com/news/2014/11/6/Football_1106145810.aspx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 6th, 2014, 02:37 PM
If there are 'pods', who makes up the pods?

South: Richmond, WM, JMU, Elon

Mid Atlantic: Towson, UD, Villanova, Stony Brook

Northeast: UNH, Maine, Albany, Rhody

Play everyone in your "Pod" every year than then 5 of the others?

Perhaps i should swap Stony Brook and Rhody since UD didn't play Stony Brook this year?

The scheduling has made no sense to me but i'm probably don't have a full respect for how hard it is with all the comings and goings in the conference for the last few years.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 6th, 2014, 02:40 PM
JMU 2015

Awesome!! Welcome back for another great year in the CAA, Dukes!!

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 6th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Date
Opponent

Sept. 3

at San Jose State

Sept. 12

at Colgate

Sept. 19

at Stony Brook*

Sept. 26

vs Central Connecticut State

Oct. 3

vs Elon*

Oct. 10

Open

Oct. 17

at William & Mary*

Oct. 24

at Delaware*

Oct. 31

vs Rhode Island*

Nov. 7

vs Richmond*

Nov. 14

at Albany*

Nov. 21

vs Maine*

JMU2004
November 6th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Awesome!! Welcome back for another great year in the CAA, Dukes!!

We'll be playing a CAA schedule no matter what in 2015. That was ensured when we turned down the SBC and didn't get another invite by 6/1/14.

superman7515
November 6th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Supe, that happened because of all the teams joining and leaving the CAA the past years.

I know why it happened, just saying not to count anything as set in stone in the CAA over the last few years, haha.

superman7515
November 6th, 2014, 03:12 PM
JMU 2015

I thought twice about mentioning this, but there's a really big Easter egg hidden in there. Wonder if anyone else will pick up on it.

JMU2004
November 6th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I thought twice about mentioning this, but there's a really big Easter egg hidden in there. Wonder if anyone else will pick up on it.

? Away at Liberty is odd.

Or the mention (on 2 accounts) of local away games for JMU fans to commute too.

superman7515
November 6th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Nah...

James Madison ends the season with Villanova.

Delaware & Villanova have played the final game every year since 1999 in the Battle of the Blue season ending rivalry game.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 6th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Nah...

Delaware & Villanova have played the final game every year since 1999 in the Battle of the Blue season ending rivalry game.

Saw that, very surprised to say the least! Now, I have no idea if there is any pattern to scheduling. Saw a quote from an Assistant AD at UNH that he thought it would be 2016 before there was any pattern to scheduling.

lydiabixby
November 6th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Not sure what you guys are intimating, but is this an appropriate time to re-introduce the Rhode Island paradox?

Can URI continue to tolerate itself as the perennial cellar dweller with no end in sight?

MacThor
November 6th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Hmm. I thought it was the lack of an FBS game.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 6th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Nah...

Is that rivalry still what it once was?

Catsfan90
November 6th, 2014, 05:42 PM

@ New Hampshire in 2007
No game in 2008-2011
@ New Hampshire in 2012
No game in 2013
@ New Hampshire in 2014

I remember one particular game at Delaware stadium in 2010 I'd love to forget..... That wasn't regular season though.

Gordon Shumway
November 6th, 2014, 05:47 PM
This scheduling talk reminds me how just a few years ago all the talk around here was about UNH & Maine being able to stay in the CAA, because they were on an island by themselves and the CAA was moving south. Now there are 5 true northern schools, 4 true southern schools, and three 'tweeners. Amazing how quickly things can change.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 6th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I remember one particular game at Delaware stadium in 2010 I'd love to forget..... That wasn't regular season though.

The 2006 game down there was one of the best games I've ever been to

superman7515
November 6th, 2014, 06:51 PM
And in one of the oddest answers yet... Delaware plays at Villanova on Sept 19 due to the Pope visiting Philadelphia starting that weekend, this will allow the Pope to watch UD beat 'Nova.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 6th, 2014, 07:00 PM
And in one of the oddest answers yet... Delaware plays at Villanova on Sept 19 due to the Pope visiting Philadelphia starting that weekend, this will allow the Pope to watch UD beat 'Nova.

You're making that up....

superman7515
November 6th, 2014, 07:07 PM
You're making that up....

Nope. Delaware vs Villanova was moved to coincide with the Pope's visit for the World Meeting of Families, so His Holiness can take in the marquee college football game of Philadelphia.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 6th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Nope. Delaware vs Villanova was moved to coincide with the Pope's visit for the World Meeting of Families, so His Holiness can take in the marquee college football game of Philadelphia.

Wow so after the VP you guys skipped right over POTUS and went straight to the Pope....who's next?
Someone should start a pole.

KPSUL
November 6th, 2014, 07:37 PM
JMU 2015

Looks like JMU is also playing the same 2014 conference opponents in 2015

URMite
November 6th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Wow so after the VP you guys skipped right over POTUS and went straight to the Pope....who's next?

Actually, I would expect the VP and his holiness to be in opposite stands...

melloware13
November 6th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Image from UD release:
http://instagram.com/p/vFQT64zaZW/

9/5 - Jacksonville
9/12 - Lafayette
9/19 - @ Villanova (& Pontifex)
9/26 - @ North Carolina
10/3 - William & Mary
10/10 - @ Rhode Island
10/24 - New Hampshire
10/31 - @ Towson
11/7 - Albany
11/14 - James Madison
11/21 - @ Elon

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 7th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Looks like JMU is also playing the same 2014 conference opponents in 2015

Nahhh... in 2015 we get Morehead at home.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 7th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Delete Post

EDIT: Conference Opponents DO remains the same...

dgtw
November 7th, 2014, 05:52 AM

Hope he knows that this won't be the type of football they play in Argentina.

GannonFan
November 7th, 2014, 09:35 AM

Well, yes, we have Biden, but remember, we also have Christie as a UD alum, so depending on his campaign for 2016 we may still yet have a POTUS. Of course, by then, even he may have stopped going to Delaware games as the rest of the fanbase has stopped going too.

KPSUL
November 7th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Nahhh... in 2015 we get Morehead at home.
Getting "Morehead at home" sounds like good new in more ways than one!

DoubleH
November 7th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Getting "Morehead at home" sounds like good new in more ways than one!

xlolx xsmileyclapx

VUCats02
November 7th, 2014, 12:47 PM
i thought the pope was coming to Philadelphia the weekend AFTER????

- - - Updated - - -

Can we just go ahead right now, and say that the pope is the reason there will be a shakeup in the CAA next year? If Nova does not make the playoffs, and John Robertson doesn't win the walter peyton award next year, I will put full blame on the pope.

melloware13
November 7th, 2014, 01:25 PM
i thought the pope was coming to Philadelphia the weekend AFTER????

- - - Updated - - -

Can we just go ahead right now, and say that the pope is the reason there will be a shakeup in the CAA next year? If Nova does not make the playoffs, and John Robertson doesn't win the walter peyton award next year, I will put full blame on the pope.

The WMoF is the week after the 19th, so it's probably a way to showcase something in the area for him in advance.

HailSzczur
November 7th, 2014, 04:53 PM
The whole Pope thing is to have parent's weekend the week of the Delaware game, thus making sure everyone's schedule is clear the following week (@Penn) to allow for any Pope related festivities going on in Philadelphia

VUCats02
November 8th, 2014, 12:34 PM
The whole Pope thing is to have parent's weekend the week of the Delaware game, thus making sure everyone's schedule is clear the following week (@Penn) to allow for any Pope related festivities going on in Philadelphia

And how does that relate to Nova having to play Delaware in the middle of the season? THey could play anyone else that weekend.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 08:58 PM

I think the kryptonite has gotten to your brain. The Pope will make sure Villanova is blessed, even though they probably won't need a blessing to beat the Blue Hens...

;)

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 09:03 PM
And how does that relate to Nova having to play Delaware in the middle of the season? THey could play anyone else that weekend.

From what I've read, the CAA allows teams to have one date for a guaranteed home game. Villanova wants Parents' Day to be that game, and they want Parents' Day to be in September. The Pope's visit eliminated 9/26 as a possibility, so Villanova wanted 9/19 to be Parents' Day. Delaware was the only team that was available for the Wildcats to play at home on 9/19.

I don't agree with the rationale either, but at least it does give me the opportunity to potentially attend the Battle of the Blue for once. (The game typically takes place the same day as Lehigh/Lafayette which I ALWAYS want to watch, and also occurs the same day as the first round of the Division II playoffs, which sometimes has a team I root for participating that day.)

HailSzczur
November 9th, 2014, 01:04 AM
From what I've read, the CAA allows teams to have one date for a guaranteed home game. Villanova wants Parents' Day to be that game, and they want Parents' Day to be in September. The Pope's visit eliminated 9/26 as a possibility, so Villanova wanted 9/19 to be Parents' Day. Delaware was the only team that was available for the Wildcats to play at home on 9/19.

I don't agree with the rationale either, but at least it does give me the opportunity to potentially attend the Battle of the Blue for once. (The game typically takes place the same day as Lehigh/Lafayette which I ALWAYS want to watch, and also occurs the same day as the first round of the Division II playoffs, which sometimes has a team I root for participating that day.)

I haven't seen our schedule released yet, so I don't know the scheduling specifics, but I don't understand why we couldn't have gotten a Morgan St. (or Monmouth who has been a past parent's weekend opponent) game for that weekend? Might make a lot more sense once we have the bigger picture

Gangtackle11
November 9th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I haven't seen our schedule released yet, so I don't know the scheduling specifics, but I don't understand why we couldn't have gotten a Morgan St. (or Monmouth who has been a past parent's weekend opponent) game for that weekend? Might make a lot more sense once we have the bigger picture

This year the FCS was a 12 game schedule. I believe that it is back to 11 games. Morgan State was the 12th game. Next few years it will be 8 CAA games, FBS, Penn, & a FCS opponent. Thus with only 11 games they moved Delaware to 9/19 date. Delaware was apparently the only team with schedule flexibility.

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2014, 09:49 AM
this early Nova game bodes well for Delaware as Nova might not realize there playing em yet....