PDA

View Full Version : Former Dartmouth FB player elected to Congress

Go Green
November 5th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Congrats to Alex Mooney (Dartmouth) who played one year of football before moving onto rugby for winning the Congressional seat in the West Virginia Second District.

http://www.dartreview.com/an-interview-with-alex-mooney/

I know that we have a political board, so this is strictly a football post. Any other FCS schools have former athletes in Congress?

Nova09
November 5th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Hmm, can't quite answer your question but I'll have some fun with it:

This sport enthusiast attended Penn and Nova, and still goes to many Penn games:

http://articles.philly.com/2011-04-20/sports/29451332_1_dreams-beach-boys-ed-rendell

The 2nd lady first married a Delaware FB player (when she attended) then moved up the food chain from bird-->cat and ultimately settled on good ol' Joe

http://www.cedartreebooks.com/wp/authors.php?id=5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Biden

And my personal favorite, this Nova alum was instrumental in UConn going FBS, had a tertiary role in Nebrich ending up at Fordham, spearheaded litigation against Edsall and Maryland for things like fraud, corruption, dishonest practices, etc., then left public office himself in disgrace for misappropriation of funds:

http://advance.uconn.edu/2000/000508/00050802.htm

superman7515
November 5th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Joe Biden played for the Blue Hens.

citdog
November 5th, 2014, 03:49 PM

Was he plagiarizing speeches then too?

Nova09
November 5th, 2014, 03:49 PM

Wow, how did I know her first husband did but not her famous current husband?

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Was he plagiarizing speeches then too?

no, just a roster spot

URMite
November 5th, 2014, 04:42 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/05/10/Biden-Fibs-Again-About-Having-Played-College-Football

hebmskebm
November 5th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Interesting side note, West Virginia is the third different state Mooney has run for political office in. He was formerly a Maryland state senator and had previously run for state representative in New Hampshire.

superman7515
November 5th, 2014, 08:02 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/05/10/Biden-Fibs-Again-About-Having-Played-College-Football

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/16/14489712-fact-check-bidens-too-tall-football-tale?lite

If Tubby says he was on the team in 1961 & 1963, he was on the team.

Go Green
November 5th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Fascinating discussion! Learn something new every day!

:)

Anyone who cares, other Ivy football players who ended up in Congress include the Kennedy brothers (Harvard) and Bob Ehrlich (Princeton).

Green26
November 5th, 2014, 10:45 PM
John Carney, Dartmouth '78 and cornerback, is the lone Congressman from Delaware. Just elected to 3d term. Great guy. His brother played for Maryland. His nephew, the son of another Dartmouth football players, is a redshirting TE for Pitt. Very athletic family.

superman7515
November 5th, 2014, 11:32 PM
John Carney, Dartmouth '78 and cornerback, is the lone Congressman from Delaware. Just elected to 3d term. Great guy. His brother played for Maryland. His nephew, the son of another Dartmouth football players, is a redshirting TE for Pitt. Very athletic family.

He was the coach of the Blue Hens freshman team for a while. Started out in elected office under the corrupt administration of Governor Ruth Ann Minner, lots of trouble for sweetheart land deals for friends and campaign finance fraud in that place. Lost when he ran for Governor after she was done, but thanks to the Delaware one party system, was able to get into the House position when Carper moved on to run for the Senate. He keeps his nose clean though, basically disappears until it is time for re-election. You never hear anything of him, good or bad, between them.

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2014, 05:18 AM
He was the coach of the Blue Hens freshman team for a while. Started out in elected office under the corrupt administration of Governor Ruth Ann Minner, lots of trouble for sweetheart land deals for friends and campaign finance fraud in that place. Lost when he ran for Governor after she was done, but thanks to the Delaware one party system, was able to get into the House position when Carper moved on to run for the Senate. He keeps his nose clean though, basically disappears until it is time for re-election. You never hear anything of him, good or bad, between them.

Fair and balanced!

Couple of Harvard grads just elected to the Senate yesterday: Tom Cotton (AR)
and Ben Sasse (NE). Not football players, but worth mentioning.

Fordhamanhattan
November 6th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Governor Cuomo of New York and Fordham as well as Congressman Bill Pascrell (big Fordham football fan) were reelected. Cuomo's opponent Rob Astorino was also a Fordham man as well as Republican Attorney General John Cahill candidate (Fordham football fan). FYI, three elected Republican candidates for President in a row had Fordham men as campaign chairmen: John Mitchell for Richard Nixon, William Casey for Ronald Reagan and my old friend Richie Bond for George Bush. The unforgettable G. Gordon Liddy was a three school Fordham man, the Prep, College and Law School.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2014, 08:54 AM
A certain Yale cheerleader made it to the White House.

Sandlapper Spike
November 6th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Fair and balanced!

Couple of Harvard grads just elected to the Senate yesterday: Tom Cotton (AR)
and Ben Sasse (NE). Not football players, but worth mentioning.

This reminded me of a Harvard grad who was a football player, Pug Ravenel, a fine quarterback for the Crimson in the late 1950s, and his fateful foray into South Carolina politics.

Ravenel won the Democratic nomination for governor in South Carolina in 1974, shocking the political establishment. Back then, winning the Democratic primary (or the runoff, as in this case) would have all but guaranteed victory in the general election.

However, in late September of that year the state Supreme Court ruled that he had not met the residency requirement (he had lived in the northeast after college for many years before moving back to his home state in 1972). He was forced to drop out of the race.

In the fallout from that development, South Carolina wound up electing its first Republican governor since Reconstruction. Ravenel later ran against Strom Thurmond for Thurmond's U.S. senate seat (and lost, of course); later, he failed in an attempt to win a spot in the U.S. House of Representatives.

superman7515
November 6th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Fair and balanced!

Haha, I neither watch nor read Fox News, well, except for commercial breaks during NFL football or some other program, but that's local news, not the Fox News channel. I have no issue with Carney, but there's no question that Minner was shady. He's just boring, IMHO, which isn't bad. He just doesn't do anything good enough or bad enough to get recognition.

Ivytalk
November 6th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Haha, I neither watch nor read Fox News, well, except for commercial breaks during NFL football or some other program, but that's local news, not the Fox News channel. I have no issue with Carney, but there's no question that Minner was shady. He's just boring, IMHO, which isn't bad. He just doesn't do anything good enough or bad enough to get recognition.

Spot on. Carney goes to work, collects a paycheck, and doesn't make waves. I was surprised that he lost the gubernatorial primary to Markell, but he didn't let that stop him.

dgtw
November 6th, 2014, 03:50 PM
A certain Yale cheerleader made it to the White House.

His father played baseball for Yale.

Go Green
November 7th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I learned a few things in this thread. Thanks!

Will reciprocate by saying that a few years ago, a Yale alum lost a Washington State Legislature seat when it was revealed (so to speak) that she posed for Playboy as an undergrad.

Anyone interested in tracking down the photos (and they're out there), her name is Amy Biviano. Happy Googling!

:)