PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota State vs Indiana State

Sycamore62
November 4th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I think this is a must win for SDSU and would take a LOT of pressure off ISUb on the road next week.

Ive said this elsewhere. If ISUb can keep Zenner to big plays and not highlight reel plays they may be OK.

Hopefully they have had time to realize after last week they cant mail in games anymore.

KUlawJack
November 4th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I think this is a must win for SDSU and would take a LOT of pressure off ISUb on the road next week.

Ive said this elsewhere. If ISUb can keep Zenner to big plays and not highlight reel plays they may be OK.

Hopefully they have had time to realize after last week they cant mail in games anymore.

It would put us both squarely in the same position if the Jacks won and then we'd have the head to head win (assuming we both win our last two). However, we have that glaring DIII on our schedule, but we have the Cal Poly win, which might be big if they keep winning. You have the FBS win, which is a great feather in the cap. This game could either clarify some things or make it even messier as we go forward.

If ZZ has big plays it will open the passing game for us. How has your pass rush been this year? We give up lots of sacks. Its ugly, honestly.

Thumper 76
November 4th, 2014, 11:27 AM
With Sumner back I think it changes the SDSU offense and will open things up for ZZ

RabidRabbit
November 4th, 2014, 11:42 AM
The biggest difference maker for the Jacks offense is whether both of the 6-4+ WR, Weineke and Schneider are available. If there are 3 potential stars to watch rather than two, really tough to keep all three under wraps.

Sumner played well, and hopefully his foot keeps getting better. Some mobility + his arm strength makes Sumner a very decent QB.

Sycamore62
November 4th, 2014, 11:51 AM
It would put us both squarely in the same position if the Jacks won and then we'd have the head to head win (assuming we both win our last two). However, we have that glaring DIII on our schedule, but we have the Cal Poly win, which might be big if they keep winning. You have the FBS win, which is a great feather in the cap. This game could either clarify some things or make it even messier as we go forward.

If ZZ has big plays it will open the passing game for us. How has your pass rush been this year? We give up lots of sacks. Its ugly, honestly.

I think the pass rush is pretty good except against NDSU where we looked like children. is your starting QB being back a significant improvement?

They are susceptible to some things on D. ive noticed they get away with getting beat sometimes but I guess some of that is just the odds of anyone catching a deep pass.

KUlawJack
November 4th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I think the pass rush is pretty good except against NDSU where we looked like children. is your starting QB being back a significant improvement?

They are susceptible to some things on D. ive noticed they get away with getting beat sometimes but I guess some of that is just the odds of anyone catching a deep pass.

I'd say our starting QB being a back is a significant improvement. However, we need to keep in mind he has played only once in the last 10 weeks, and that was last weekend. Hopefully the rust really starts shaking off.

We couldn't get any pressure against NDSU either, but our DL has been terrible about that this year.

Kemo
November 4th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Sumner's arm can stretch the field and increases the likelihood of a defender paying for getting beat. On the flip side, Sumner (especially coming off the foot injury) doesn't have the mobility of our back up, so the defenders probably won't have to cover quite as long, as Sumner won't extend plays very often.

Sycamore62
November 4th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I cant sit here and say I have any clue as to how the game will go. If the weather is reasonable i think it helps us. It says 50% chance of rain and 15mph wind that will be coming in the back of the stadium and out the 10ft opening in the front.(google earth the stadium and you will see what i mean). It acts like a bellows.

Our OLine has been a weakness and a strength. If they have a good day we will do well on O

As far a Zenner, I think we have held most RBs in check (outside of NDSU). The UNI Johnson guy had some success but I felt he did a good job of getting yards after first contact. Having a little trouble remembering. Maybe Clenz or some other UNI fan can help.

I know as a Sophomore I though we did well against him except for about 2 game changing runs.

Thumper 76
November 4th, 2014, 06:24 PM
That's what. Zenner does. 3yds, 4yds, 3,5,3. Then pops a big one.

Sycamore62
November 4th, 2014, 06:59 PM
That's what. Zenner does. 3yds, 4yds, 3,5,3. Then pops a big one.

Same wih shakir 2-3 years ago. I guess that's how most running games work though.

Sycamore62
November 4th, 2014, 07:07 PM
ISUb -1
O/U 51

KUlawJack
November 5th, 2014, 09:09 AM
ISUb -1
O/U 51

Wow. I honestly expected it to be about -4 ISUb.

Sycamore62
November 5th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Wow. I honestly expected it to be about -4 ISUb.

recently the O/U with us has been 40-41. Im not sure how much they handicapp these games, i wouldnt be surprised if it's computer generated.

until last week, we were 8-0 vs the spread and it was the 1 or 2nd time we were favored (I never knew where to look vs TTU)

Sycamore62
November 5th, 2014, 01:47 PM
weather forecast update high of 51 with a 20%chance of rain. 13MPH wind will be from the West which would be a diagonal wind from left to right looking from the stadium side

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2014, 03:59 PM
On the plus side SDSU is used to playing in wind out here in SD

mango433
November 5th, 2014, 04:05 PM
On the plus side SDSU is used to playing in wind out here in SD

13 mph? That's nothing in SD

Sycamore62
November 5th, 2014, 04:11 PM
the construction of Memorial Stadium apparently makes wind blow 8 different directions on the field.

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2014, 05:39 PM
13 mph? That's nothing in SD

Hell nobody even says its breezy until it's 25

Sycamore62
November 5th, 2014, 05:51 PM
I'm just giving the weather report. If the wind were 13mph vs UNI we would have lost

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I'm just giving the weather report. If the wind were 13mph vs UNI we would have lost

It's much appreciated. I don't think the wind factor should affect SDSU like it could affect the Trees with what SDSU practices in every day. Plus it's seems ISU is much more of a passing team than a running team.

clenz
November 6th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Hell nobody even says its breezy until it's 25
It's blowing about 40 mph where i live. We don't get a "strong wind advisory" until the wind hits mostly sustained 30 mph

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sycamore62
November 6th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I didnt say 13mph was strong, I just said it was a forecast. anyway now they are predicting a wind that will be going with the length of the field left to right. now its up to a blistery 15mph. That was a joke.

EDIT: although if it's cold then I'd change my wind opinion. (I know as a southerner up here in Illinois im used to super warm weather)

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I didnt say 13mph was strong, I just said it was a forecast. anyway now they are predicting a wind that will be going with the length of the field left to right. now its up to a blistery 15mph. That was a joke.

EDIT: although if it's cold then I'd change my wind opinion. (I know as a southerner up here in Illinois im used to super warm weather)

xlolx

citdog
November 6th, 2014, 05:41 PM
(I know as a southerner up here in Illinois im used to super warm weather)

The degree of difficulty on the 'reverse carpetbaggin' is HIGH!

Sycamore62
November 6th, 2014, 06:06 PM
The degree of difficulty on the 'reverse carpetbaggin' is HIGH!

I was a bit ambiguous with that post. I meant how far south compared to South Dakota

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2014, 11:00 PM
I was a bit ambiguous with that post. I meant how far south compared to South Dakota

Is South of south like adding two negatives?

clenz
November 7th, 2014, 07:59 AM
It does make a huge difference with little change.

From where I grew up (MN, IA, SD boarder line) to Cedar Falls, IA (where I lived for 8 years) was a decent sized difference.

Cedar Falls to the Cedar Rapids area (where I live now) there is small difference, but a difference none the less.

Go to the Missouri Boarder (about 1.5 hr south of Cedar Rapids) and there is a very noticeable difference.

I imagine the difference between Sioux Falls (about 40 minutes from where I grew up) and Illinois (most parts) there is a huge difference.

UNI is the northern most MVC school. Opposing fans travel here for basketball games and bitch about the weather non-stop.

There was one weekend that my wife and I left for the MVC tournament, which is in St. Louis the first full week weekend in March, and it was 10 degrees in Cedar Falls. We got to Mt Pleasant, IA (2 hours south of CF) and it was noticeably warmer with MUCH less snow on the ground. We got to St Louis and it was 75 degrees.

KUlawJack
November 7th, 2014, 08:37 AM

From where I grew up (MN, IA, SD boarder line) to Cedar Falls, IA (where I lived for 8 years) was a decent sized difference.

Cedar Falls to the Cedar Rapids area (where I live now) there is small difference, but a difference none the less.

Go to the Missouri Boarder (about 1.5 hr south of Cedar Rapids) and there is a very noticeable difference.

I imagine the difference between Sioux Falls (about 40 minutes from where I grew up) and Illinois (most parts) there is a huge difference.

UNI is the northern most MVC school. Opposing fans travel here for basketball games and bitch about the weather non-stop.

There was one weekend that my wife and I left for the MVC tournament, which is in St. Louis the first full week weekend in March, and it was 10 degrees in Cedar Falls. We got to Mt Pleasant, IA (2 hours south of CF) and it was noticeably warmer with MUCH less snow on the ground. We got to St Louis and it was 75 degrees.

What town did you grow up in Clenz? My wife is from that neck of the woods, maybe a bit further east.

clenz
November 7th, 2014, 08:50 AM
What town did you grow up in Clenz? My wife is from that neck of the woods, maybe a bit further east.
There is almost no way she wasn't east. I went to the third most NW school district in the state of Iowa - George-Little Rock. Only Central Lyon and West Lyon are NW of our district. I grew up in George.

Sycamore62
November 7th, 2014, 09:04 AM
You guys mentioned that your D-Line was suspect but I see you are #13 in pass defense. How does that work? My lazy guess would be that your wins are big and losses came from rushing and turnovers.

Sycamore62
November 7th, 2014, 09:13 AM

The coldest game I have ever experienced in person was ISUb@ISUr in 1995. cold and the stiff wind coming over the fieldhouse seemed to gain intensity. I was playing center and asked for a new ball at one point. They gave me the new ball that I watched the moisture on it freeze as I grabbed it. Snap, drop back, fumble on the throw for a safety.

there was a foot of snow on the ground in 1997 in our last game but it was all outside the UNIDome so it seemed a lot warmer xnodx

I have a Brother-in-Law on the EIU team and one of our interns at work both told me it was pretty bad at SDSU in 2012 in the playoffs. And last year, I dont know how the weather was for you guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but there was about nothing that would have got me to drive the 22 blocks to EIU's stadium to watch either of those playoff games

FargoBison
November 7th, 2014, 03:54 PM
This is the sneaky big game of the weekend. The loser would either be completely done in SDSU's case or would have some serious work to do in ISUB's case.

I really liked the Trees in this game until Sumner came back and played well last weekend, now I might have to give a slight edge to the Jacks. Wish this game was on TV.

RabidRabbit
November 7th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Looking that SDSU will have all four of their major offensive weapons firing behind a somewhat improved (returned from injury) O-line. Sumner, Weineke, Schneider and Zenner are all likely to be back out on the field. Back-up QB Lujan is also recovered from a banged up shoulder.

Jacks are back into a November where no losses can occur if they are to make the play-offs. Both Ind St. and SDSU are (via Massey, the SRS and other measures of SOS, computer-generated, top 15, if not top 10 teams. It's a shame that the loser of this will likely be out of the play-offs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 7th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I'm taking the Trees at home.

35-31

Dakotaguy74
November 7th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Drop a few bucks on GoJacks and stream the game. We could use some NoDak oil money.

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I cant get a good feel for what I expect to see today. Ive tried to look at outcomes and they don't help me and I'm always cautiosly optimistic about ISUb. I think they need to have early success and dominate each qtr they have the wind if its a factor. If they can rush the ball today id give them the edge. If not it will be hard to win.

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Its chilly and the wind is blowing out of the west endzone. Not sue how much factor it will play

CappinHard
November 8th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Cripes, I paid for the Sycamore stream and the video is awful.

CappinHard
November 8th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Wow, that 4th down screen would have went for a touchdown. Gotta connect on that easy lob.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 12:35 PM
0-0 at the end of the first quarter.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Zenner runs for the 68 yard TD... and it's call back because of a hold. xbawlingx

CappinHard
November 8th, 2014, 12:40 PM
If anyone is at the game, what is the god awful noise the fans are making when they "get loud"?

CappinHard
November 8th, 2014, 12:42 PM
High snap on the SDSU punt, scrambled to get it off, punt gets blocked and goes through the end zone for a safety.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Jacks are just shooting themselves in the foot.

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 12:48 PM
That was blocked around the 20 and went out if the endzine in the air

CappinHard
November 8th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Apparently ISUb is the king of trick plays... The double pass back to the QB goes for a big gain and sets up the TD. 9-0

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 12:51 PM
ISU runs a WR throw back to the QB for roughly 30 yards to the 2 yard line and ISU punch it in from there.

centennial
November 8th, 2014, 12:53 PM
ISU will do anything to get to the playoffs. No play is too stupid.

CappinHard
November 8th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Sumner looks very uncomfortable. If his foot felt better, he could have ran for a couple first downs already.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Jacks keep moving the ball past the 50 and F'ing it up. Another pick by Sumner.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Sumner looks very uncomfortable. If his foot felt better, he could have ran for a couple first downs already.

Yah, could have walk for a couple of those first downs and instead has been throwing bad passes. Needs to settle down.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Nice response by the Jacks. Nice drive capped by a Zenner 1 yard TD run out of the Wildcat.

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 01:06 PM
The last int was a horrible decision. Wind killed it. I think he was throwing it away

RabidRabbit
November 8th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Zenner takes direct snap, and the Jacks O-line seals left side, Zenner walks into EZ. Nice 75 yd 8 play drive to get to 9-7 ISU up with 5 min left in 2nd qtr.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 01:26 PM
9-7 ISU-B at halftime. So far SDSU is getting beat by 2 block punts, a safety, punting a free kick out of bounds (which is a 30 yard penalty from where the ball went out), 2 interceptions, a trick play, and an incredibly unfortunate holding penalty.

citdog
November 8th, 2014, 01:32 PM
9-7 ISU-B at halftime. So far SDSU is getting beat by 2 block punts, a safety, punting a free kick out of bounds (which is a 30 yard penalty from where the ball went out), 2 interceptions, a trick play, and an incredibly unfortunate holding penalty.

you forgot the partridge in a pear tree

NDSUSR
November 8th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Damn... What a mess. Come on SD get your **** together.

So damn is ok but **** isnt???? Weird.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 01:37 PM
you forgot the partridge in a pear tree
Can we suit them up and put them on special teams?

At least then that unit would be comical in a literal sense.

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 01:47 PM
The hold absolutely broke the td
the kickoff was off a tee and it is 30 from the kicking line not the OB spot

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks, I misheard the ruling on that play. I've actually never seen that happen before.

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Thanks, I misheard the ruling on that play. I've actually never seen that happen before.

Ya i would have gone with a rekick but they didnt ask

imo the difference in this game is sdsu's ability to tackle our receivers

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Jake Weineke takes a slant 91 yards for a TD!

CappinHard
November 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Is this Tecmo Super Bowl?! Amazing run after the catch by Weineke, zig zagging his way down the field.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Is this Tecmo Super Bowl?! Amazing run after the catch by Weineke, zig zagging his way down the field.

This is a great way to describe that play.

JayJ79
November 8th, 2014, 02:05 PM
The hold absolutely broke the td

teams get to choose whether to punt or kick (off a tee) the free kick after a safety.
many teams elect to punt it to get better hangtime, though unlike a scrimmage punt, it is a penalty to kick out of bounds.

in any case, I always wondered how the "free kick out of bounds" penalty was marked off. good to know. of course now that kickoff touchbacks are moved out to the 25 and normal kickoffs that go out of bounds place it at the 35, it isn't that big of a penalty anymore. but it does make a big difference after a safety, since the kick comes from 15 yards farther back.

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 02:12 PM
teams get to choose whether to punt or kick (off a tee) the free kick after a safety.
many teams elect to punt it to get better hangtime, though unlike a scrimmage punt, it is a penalty to kick out of bounds.

in any case, I always wondered how the "free kick out of bounds" penalty was marked off. good to know. of course now that kickoff touchbacks are moved out to the 25 and normal kickoffs that go out of bounds place it at the 35, it isn't that big of a penalty anymore. but it does make a big difference after a safety, since the kick comes from 15 yards farther back.
Wind pushed it ob. Right in the face pushes it whichever way off-center you kick it today. Punt would have died imo

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 02:18 PM
15-9 SDSU lead at the end of the 3rd quarter. Jacks have the ball inside the ISUb 30 with a 3rd and 2 play coming up.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Jacks get a field goal and now lead 18-9.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 02:35 PM
WOW. Indiana state has a huge run, originally called a TD, then ref says he's out at the 2. Indiana State has an incomplete pass and then fumbles on the next play trying to stretch out for the TD. Still 18-9.

- - - Updated - - -

And Zenner has a 94 yard run for a TD. Holy Turn-of-Events, Batman!

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Parrish throws a pick on the following series and Jacks take over at their own 49.

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 02:44 PM
WOW. Indiana state has a huge run, originally called a TD, then ref says he's out at the 2. Indiana State has an incomplete pass and then fumbles on the next play trying to stretch out for the TD. Still 18-9.

- - - Updated - - -

And Zenner has a 94 yard run for a TD. Holy Turn-of-Events, Batman!
Weird turnover. Id like to see replay. Our rb stepped out on the 2. F had a good look at it and got wiped out

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Sumner does a nice pump fake on a double move by Weineke and it's an easy TD pitch and catch. Jacks now lead 32-9.

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Weird turnover. Id like to see replay. Our rb stepped out on the 2. F had a good look at it and got wiped out
There have been a ton of plays I wanted to see a replay off, but SYCvision must not have the capabilities for replays, because I haven't seen one yet.

wow
November 8th, 2014, 02:51 PM
There have been a ton of plays I wanted to see a replay off, but SYCvision must not have the capabilities for replays, because I haven't seen one yet.

No doubt.

3 more years of Weineke is exciting!

Theee Catrabbit
November 8th, 2014, 03:00 PM
No doubt.

3 more years of Weineke is exciting!

3 years and a reloaded line and another Zenner in the chamber....

Kemo
November 8th, 2014, 03:01 PM
SDSU gets the onside kick. Takes a knee. 32-17 Final. Jackrabbits win.

Sycamore62
November 8th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Its pretty low budget

centennial
November 8th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I want to thank SDSU for making the MVFC at large situation more confusing.

RabidRabbit
November 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Yes, I tried moving it to the 48" flat-screen, and the pixels were so large that it was unwatchable.

SDSU made the TOP, and balanced out the turnovers, and especially timely breaks. If the Sycs had made it to 18-16 (or 17), instead of becoming 25-9 SDSU, it would have been a very different game.

If someone looks at the final score, they will not appreciate what a tight game this one was.

The 91-yd pass to Weineke tied the longest pass play in SDSU history.

The 94-yd Zenner run was classic runaway Zenner. 193 yards for Zenner. And no credit for the 63-yd run called back due to holding on Jacks.

IND St. - Good luck on pulling two more wins, and then play-off slot. You're the most pleasant surprise of this 2014 season.

skinny_uncle
November 8th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I want to thank SDSU for making the MVFC at large situation more confusing.

Bunnies new them song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

dewey
November 8th, 2014, 03:28 PM
SDSU with a healthy Sumner could be a dangerous team down the stretch and possibly into the playoffs.

Congratulations to the Jacks on the win.

Dewey

Jacked_Rabbit
November 8th, 2014, 08:34 PM
SDSU takes care of business at home vs. WIU & USD (MVFC bottom dwellers), there's no reason they don't earn an at-large bid. The road win over UNI looks better than ever after today.

i_got_a_fever
November 10th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Hassell's Hit on Perish is just Filthy! 1:03

http://youtu.be/9erQu8v_qLo

clenz
November 10th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Hassell's Hit on Perish is just Filthy! 1:03

http://youtu.be/9erQu8v_qLo
I can't believe he didn't feel that coming.

I felt it within a second of the snap and I had no idea what was about to happen

His RG left his ass out to hang badly