PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Top 25??

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2014, 03:20 PM
So, I know this will sound homerish, but that is OK. I know that most AGS poll voters have LU in their poll, but strangely they still can't get into either TSN or Coaches today. I'm looking for some objective reasoning from anyone who agrees with those 2 polls as to why they don't belong at this point. NCAA .org has Liberty as the #3 in SOS and Warren Nolan has them at #10. I believe they were #23 in last week's GPI as well. Just curious.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 3rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
So, I know this will sound homerish, but that is OK. I know that most AGS poll voters have LU in their poll, but strangely they still can't get into either TSN or Coaches today. I'm looking for some objective reasoning from anyone who agrees with those 2 polls as to why they don't belong at this point. NCAA .org has Liberty as the #3 in SOS and Warren Nolan has them at #10. I believe they were #23 in last week's GPI as well. Just curious.

No one agrees with those polls.

rokamortis
November 3rd, 2014, 03:49 PM
Liberty should be #1.

citdog
November 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Anti-christian fanatic bias

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2014, 03:56 PM
OK Rok, i hear ya. not trying to whine, just seeing if anyone can see their reasoning. At least in the 20-25 range. Can't wait to beat....I mean meet you guys on the 22nd.

And Dog, nah. Definitely not thinking that. I say not paying attention.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 3rd, 2014, 05:01 PM
Liberty is woefully underrated. I believe their sagarin has them around 15th best FCS team. They have an (albeit crappy) FBS win, a very close loss to us and a road loss to a solid ISU. They were also very competitive at UNC.

I am really interested in the game v CCU.

rokamortis
November 3rd, 2014, 05:20 PM
OK Rok, i hear ya. not trying to whine, just seeing if anyone can see their reasoning. At least in the 20-25 range. Can't wait to beat....I mean meet you guys on the 22nd.

And Dog, nah. Definitely not thinking that. I say not paying attention.

You guys are ranked #1 by the Smart Football ranking. Just saying.

KPSUL
November 3rd, 2014, 05:25 PM
Anti-christian fanatic bias

I know your joking, but I wonder if there is at least a little shred of truth about some bias against Liberty? It wouldn't take much to move them a couple of positions.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 3rd, 2014, 05:28 PM
You guys are ranked #1 by the Smart Football ranking. Just saying.

That seems misnamed

Fordham
November 3rd, 2014, 05:28 PM
not to mention they handled Bryant very well and Bryant has rolled through pretty much every other game on their schedule. Bryant is #21 in coaches poll and #23 in Sports Network

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2014, 05:53 PM
Exactly

ElCid
November 3rd, 2014, 06:19 PM
Liberty is woefully underrated. I believe their sagarin has them around 15th best FCS team. They have an (albeit crappy) FBS win, a very close loss to us and a road loss to a solid ISU. They were also very competitive at UNC.

Liberty is #13 FCS in Sagarin with SOS of 147 (all of Div I). They are #16 in Massey with 151 SOS (all of Div I) and #23 SOS for just FCS. I have had you guys in most of the year...at #17 in mine now.

I think the lack of a signature win has made people hesitate. You can say App St., but, well, they pretty much suck. Still, it was FBS, and as you say, albeit bottom of the barrel, so not high quality. Kind of like beating Army or FIU. The close game with Richmond was good, but a loss. The Indiana St game was again a tough match, especially on the road, but you lost by three scores. The Bryant win was good, but at home against NEC. They may not be as bad as everyone portraits them (I do have them ranked as well), but they are just a bit lower quality. Their SOS is over 200 in both Sagarin and Massey. Every other game was as expected. Sweep the next 2 and play CCU tough and I think you may get more respect from some voters.

Just my perspective. I have only seen you play once (Brevard). I thought you looked very good, but it was Brevard. They would let even Furman look good, maybe.

caribbeanhen
November 3rd, 2014, 06:35 PM

I saw just a bit of the Liberty game vs Presby last Saturday and the talent I saw at the WR spot raised my brow a bit..... Liberty is a team to watch.....

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2014, 06:35 PM
Liberty is #13 FCS in Sagarin with SOS of 147 (all of Div I). They are #16 in Massey with 151 SOS (all of Div I) and #23 SOS for just FCS. I have had you guys in most of the year...at #17 in mine now.

I think the lack of a signature win has made people hesitate. You can say App St., but, well, they pretty much suck. Still, it was FBS, and as you say, albeit bottom of the barrel, so not high quality. Kind of like beating Army or FIU. The close game with Richmond was good, but a loss. The Indiana St game was again a tough match, especially on the road, but you lost by three scores. The Bryant win was good, but at home against NEC. They may not be as bad as everyone portraits them (I do have them ranked as well), but they are just a bit lower quality. Their SOS is over 200 in both Sagarin and Massey. Every other game was as expected. Sweep the next 2 and play CCU tough and I think you may get more respect from some voters.

Just my perspective. I have only seen you play once (Brevard). I thought you looked very good, but it was Brevard. They would let even Furman look good, maybe.

Thanks for the thoughts. Good stuff. WarrenNolan.com has LU at #10 in FCS SOS.

The Ville
November 3rd, 2014, 08:04 PM
Liberty is certainly one of the Top 25 teams in FCS right now.

knucklehead
November 7th, 2014, 11:48 AM
This from TSN.....

" According to the NCAA, no FCS team has a tougher schedule (of past and future opponents' records) than Liberty. Coach Turner Gill's team is buying time until its Nov. 22 showdown with unbeaten Coastal Carolina. Saturday's opponent is Big South newcomer Monmouth, which they beat last year, 45-15. This year's game figures to be closer.*"

Yet not in their poll. http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_11_05_2014.htm

Sycamore62
November 7th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Since it's easier to fall than move up, I think losing to ISUb hurt you guys even though imo we were terribly underrated even after that.

Im not gonna lie, at the time, I didnt think either team would be doing as well as they are now and I'm as homer as you can get for ISUb

MarkCCU
November 8th, 2014, 08:21 AM
You guys could break into the Top 25. I've always respected the LU program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk