PDA

View Full Version : Towson vs. Villanova

Gangtackle11
November 3rd, 2014, 01:54 PM
​Tough 1 point loss makes this game a little more interesting. Nova has lost 2 games due to some blame to kicking game.(at least Syracuse and a tie game vs. Richmond).

Look forward to your comments on this game.

Anovafan
November 3rd, 2014, 03:31 PM
No panic at Nova. I posted earlier that Richmond would be the toughest CAA game of the season for Nova and it was (thus far). Richmond did a great job on Robertson and completely changed their defensive scheme for one game to play zone with a great pass rush. Kudos to them for a great coaching job. I am rather disappointed Nova couldn't make the appropriate changes at halftime. I would think the next 3 teams on Nova's schedule will play JR the same way. I think the good news is that none of the 3 have the overall skill that Richmond does. Looking at Towson on tv a few games this year, I think Nova will win but not by a blowout margin. Probably something like 35-21.

Tiger93
November 3rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
Towson fan here, and to be honest with you 35-21 would be a score I would probably be happy with at this point. Connor Frazier has struggled at QB for most of the year and it has made our running attack very predictable (even though Darius Victor is a very good back). It was predictable last year, but we had the offensive line to pull that off. This year it is not a very experienced line, and we have made a lot of mistakes.

Even last week, Towson led 21-3 at halftime and did not score in the second half in a tight 21-19 win at home against Elon. I expect you guys to bounce back in a big way next week. We have a lot of talent on our defense, but the schemes are not the best and the fact that our offense has struggled has usually led to defense eventually tiring late in the game.

My hope for our final two games is to beat Rhode Island and play some competitive football against you guys and William & Mary. We really need to find a better quarterback for next year. I like Frazier because of the big plays he made in the semifinal win against Eastern Washington last year to lead us to the National Title game, but we need a higher level of consistent play at QB.

DoubleH
November 4th, 2014, 11:14 AM
We have a lot of talent on our defense, but the schemes are not the best

Understatement of the year. DC Hachmann has to go, been saying it for years. WAY too many defensive lapses/breakdowns, and this goes back several years, not just 2014.

Bottom line: Towson will not out-scheme 'Nova on defense, so I expect the Cats to score 28+, at least. Can Towson keep up offensively? No. Shaky o-line and QB play hamstrings a real talented RB in Victor.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I think (and hope) Villanova gets back on track with a solid win today. The Wildcats can't afford any more slip-ups if they want to be a top 8 team (i.e. get a bye) in the playoffs.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Slow start for the Wildcats, especially offensively. Tied at 7-7 early in the 2nd quarter.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Nice, roughly 80 yard TD drive by the Wildcats featuring some excellent run and pass plays by John Robertson. Villanova leads Towson 14-7 with a little less than 10 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter.

kdinva
November 8th, 2014, 08:19 PM
'Nova up only 21-14, fifteen minutes to go......

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Villanova scores on a 1 yard TD run by John Robertson on the first play of the 4th quarter. The Wildcats lead the Tigers 28-14 with 14:55 remaining in regulation.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Villanova with a 47 yard INT return for a touchdown after a tipped pass. The Wildcats now lead 35-14 with 13:25 left in the 4th quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Towson has shown some fight this year minus the no show against JMU. They'll be a team to watch out for in 2015...

kdinva
November 8th, 2014, 08:27 PM
now, 35-14, 12 minutes to play.......

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Villanova mounts a nice drive and scores a game-clinching TD with about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The Wildcats now lead Towson 42-14 with a little more than 3 minutes left in the game.

In both halves, Towson started strong and Villanova was sluggish, but the Wildcats gradually asserted more and more control as the half progressed.