PDA

View Full Version : Fordham Offers 4-Year Scholarships

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2014, 12:38 PM
http://fordhamsports.com/news/2014/11/3/GEN_1103140835.aspx

Game-changer for Patriot League? Hell, game-changer for FCS landscape?

bison137
November 3rd, 2014, 01:01 PM
Is this really a big deal? The four-year scholarship is contingent on staying academically eligible, having no disciplinary issues, and continuing to play the sport. Absent an issue with one of those three areas, how often will a PL school yank a player's scholarship? My guess is rarely if ever. So will it be difficult for Pl schools to put in writing what has been their general rule anyway.

Ramblin' Man
November 3rd, 2014, 01:05 PM
Is this really a big deal? The four-year scholarship is contingent on staying academically eligible, having no disciplinary issues, and continuing to play the sport. Absent an issue with one of those three areas, how often will a PL school yank a player's scholarship? My guess is rarely if ever. So will it be difficult for Pl schools to put in writing what has been their general rule anyway.

No it will not. This story does not have legs. It's no big deal.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM
No it will not. This story does not have legs. It's no big deal.

I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not, to be honest. If we see Georgetown make this commitment, absolutely, it's no big dwl. If we see Lehigh and Colgate this week with similar announcements, yes, no big deal. If we are greeted with silence this week, I'm a lot less sure.

Sader87
November 3rd, 2014, 01:27 PM
One thing I'm not certain about....is say an athlete is given a 1/2 schollie, will that only guarantee a 1/2 scholly moving forward?

How many of FU's football schollies are partial scholarships right now?

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2014, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not, to be honest. If we see Georgetown make this commitment, absolutely, it's no big dwl. If we see Lehigh and Colgate this week with similar announcements, yes, no big deal. If we are greeted with silence this week, I'm a lot less sure.

Georgetown? Of Allen Iverson fame?

Yeah, as if Georgetown has any issues with athletes maintaining grades. xlolx

HoyaMetanoia
November 3rd, 2014, 02:01 PM

Yeah, as if Georgetown has any issues with athletes maintaining grades. xlolx

Well, because Allen Iverson seems dumb, because he was poor and black, there's no way he could've stayed eligible right?

Yet, one of Georgetown's top two players each of the past two years has been suspended indefinitely for not keeping up academically, despite the negative impact on the team's record.

Let's hear some more chirping from a school that is completely irrelevant academically and gets the kids who couldn't even sniff UMD or Penn State, let alone Georgetown, from the DC area.

bison137
November 3rd, 2014, 02:05 PM
One thing I'm not certain about....is say an athlete is given a 1/2 schollie, will that only guarantee a 1/2 scholly moving forward?

Yes.

jimbo65
November 3rd, 2014, 02:06 PM
Cant speak for the other PL schools but the present Fodham basketball coach has had a kind of revolving door with some of the recruits who were never A 10 caliber players to begin with. The bball recruiting has improved immensely in the last two recruiting classes, so this may not be a big deal. That said, these players did not sign themselves on and, IMO, if they meet the requirements but do not have the talent, they should be allowed to stay. This would provide that opportunity.

bison137
November 3rd, 2014, 02:23 PM
Cant speak for the other PL schools but the present Fodham basketball coach has had a kind of revolving door with some of the recruits who were never A 10 caliber players to begin with. The bball recruiting has improved immensely in the last two recruiting classes, so this may not be a big deal. That said, these players did not sign themselves on and, IMO, if they meet the requirements but do not have the talent, they should be allowed to stay. This would provide that opportunity.

This has not ever been an issue with PL basketball teams, with the possible exception of American. I know there have been many scholarship players who turned out not to have the talent to get on the court. But none had their scholarship non-renewed and it doesn't appear that there was any effort to run them off.

Go...gate
November 3rd, 2014, 02:32 PM
This has not ever been an issue with PL basketball teams, with the possible exception of American. I know there have been many scholarship players who turned out not to have the talent to get on the court. But none had their scholarship non-renewed and it doesn't appear that there was any effort to run them off.

I don't believe it has been an issue at Colgate, either.

ace93
November 3rd, 2014, 02:40 PM
I don't think it will be a very big deal with PL football. A10 hoops is a different story as long as it continues to give us the ability to offer something other schools do not. As soon as other schools are doing the same, it becomes less of a big deal and I would think eventually not big deal at all.

HoyaMetanoia
November 3rd, 2014, 02:41 PM
Also, this is purely a PR move. A couple of FBS teams have made big pronouncements about this, but if you want to get rid of a kid, you'll still get rid of a kid. It's all about recruiting. Something you can tell the kids' parents.

DFW HOYA
November 3rd, 2014, 02:57 PM

What, not of Roy Hibbert fame?

Put aside your personal biases on Allen Iverson--he played 20 years ago and, while fully eligible at Georgetown, was not and is not applicable (again!) to PL football.

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM
An even bigger deal would be if Lafayette fired its football coach and committed to winning every season.

RichH2
November 3rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
Not a big deal now. But,what happens in a few years when all are at the PL cap. Coach has 5-6 guys on full and partial aid who will never see the field? Do we leave the issue to each school?

Sader87
November 3rd, 2014, 03:19 PM
Apropos of nothing...I've heard that AI was an amazing option QB in hs.....

citdog
November 3rd, 2014, 03:56 PM
Well, because Allen Iverson seems dumb, because he was poor and black, there's no way he could've stayed eligible right?

Yet, one of Georgetown's top two players each of the past two years has been suspended indefinitely for not keeping up academically, despite the negative impact on the team's record.

Let's hear some more chirping from a school that is completely irrelevant academically and gets the kids who couldn't even sniff UMD or Penn State, let alone Georgetown, from the DC area.

A little sensitive about your flanks I see metanoia.......

Bisonoline
November 3rd, 2014, 08:39 PM

How many of FU's football schollies are partial scholarships right now?

You can always earn your way to a full ride.