PDA

View Full Version : Big South Week 11 Discussion and Picks

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2014, 08:47 AM
Getting the Schedule up now. Previews later.

11am (?WHAT?) Gardner Webb (4-5) at Charleston Southern (6-3)

12Noon Coastal Carolina (9-0) at Charlotte (3-5)

12Noon Presbyterian (5-4) at #12 Mississippi (FBS) (7-2)

3:30pm Monmouth (5-3) at Liberty (6-3)

kdinva
November 3rd, 2014, 09:17 AM
CSU 35; Gard-Webb 24
CCU 44, UNCC 31
Mississippi 59, Presby. 7
Liberty 42; Monmouth 14.

CasualFan
November 3rd, 2014, 11:05 AM
11am Gardner Webb (4-5) at Charleston Southern (6-3)

12Noon Coastal Carolina (9-0) at Charlotte (3-5)

12Noon Presbyterian (5-4) at #12 Mississippi (FBS) (7-2)

3:30pm Monmouth (5-3) at Liberty (6-3)

I didn't put a lot of thinking into those picks, but I don't think a lot is required.

knucklehead
November 3rd, 2014, 11:49 AM
This week's power rankings from flames nation. http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/big-south-football-power-rankings-week-10-2/

knucklehead
November 4th, 2014, 08:44 AM
11am Gardner Webb (4-5) at Charleston Southern (6-3) CSU stopped the 2 game losing streak with a shut out win up at Monmouth this weekend. GWU is now on a 2 game losing streak after losing to CCU. Chas So. should have the edge in this one at home with an interesting 11am start time.

12Noon Coastal Carolina (9-0) at Charlotte (3-5) Coastal continues to roll through their schedule (SOS #42 Warrennolan.com). They continue to put up a lot of points per game (36.6) and give up very few (16.7). It is a home game for Charlotte, but they are really struggling at 3-5 right now.

12Noon Presbyterian (5-4) at #12 Mississippi (FBS) (7-2) After 2 big wins vs CSU and Monmouth, Presby was dominated by LU on Saturday. They have their 3rd FBS opponent of the season and this one is really tough. #12 Old Miss should handle Presby very easily. Sorry Hose fans.

3:30pm Monmouth (5-3) at Liberty (6-3) After a great 5-1 start to their season where they averaged 30+ offensive PPG, Monmouth has had a rude start to the conference season with 2 losses in a row. They lost to both Presby and CSU, and could only manage 12 points between the 2 games. Liberty is now 2-0 in conference. The defense seems to have improved greatly since the App State game and the offense continues to roll (35 ppg). Liberty is favored and Williams stadium should be a tough atmosphere for Monmouth, but it is their second trip to the 'Burg.

knucklehead
November 4th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Gardner Webb at Charleston Southern

Coastal Carolina at Charlotte

Presbyterian at #12 Mississippi

Monmouth at Liberty

rokamortis
November 4th, 2014, 11:25 AM
This week's power rankings from flames nation. http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/big-south-football-power-rankings-week-10-2/ (http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/big-south-football-power-rankings-week-10-2/)

Sure their 9-0 mark and #2 ranking is impressive, but their schedule has been weak. Here’s who their nonconference wins have come against (all rankings according to GPI prior to this past week’s games): #63 Citadel (3-6), #49 North Carolina A&T (7-2), #44 South Carolina State (6-3), #104 Florida A&M (2-7), #92 Elon (1-8), #70 Furman (2-7). Not exactly a murderer’s row of FCS teams. They face #88 Charlotte (3-5) Saturday. If you want to have some fun, go back and read our mentions on twitter from Saturday night.

If the flamers think our schedule is so week why don't they move us to 2 in their own poll?

rokamortis
November 4th, 2014, 11:27 AM
11am Gardner Webb (4-5) at Charleston Southern (6-3) CSU stopped the 2 game losing streak with a shut out win up at Monmouth this weekend. GWU is now on a 2 game losing streak after losing to CCU. Chas So. should have the edge in this one at home with an interesting 11am start time.

12Noon Coastal Carolina (9-0) at Charlotte (3-5) Coastal continues to roll through their schedule (SOS #42 Warrennolan.com). They continue to put up a lot of points per game (36.6) and give up very few (16.7). It is a home game for Charlotte, but they are really struggling at 3-5 right now.

12Noon Presbyterian (5-4) at #12 Mississippi (FBS) (7-2) After 2 big wins vs CSU and Monmouth, Presby was dominated by LU on Saturday. They have their 3rd FBS opponent of the season and this one is really tough. #12 Old Miss should handle Presby very easily. Sorry Hose fans.

3:30pm Monmouth (5-3) at Liberty (6-3) After a great 5-1 start to their season where they averaged 30+ offensive PPG, Monmouth has had a rude start to the conference season with 2 losses in a row. They lost to both Presby and CSU, and could only manage 12 points between the 2 games. Liberty is now 2-0 in conference. The defense seems to have improved greatly since the App State game and the offense continues to roll (35 ppg). Liberty is favored and Williams stadium should be a tough atmosphere for Monmouth, but it is their second trip to the 'Burg.

Did you know that Warren Nolan doesn't include DII teams in the SoS calculations? I wonder what yours would be if they did?

CoastalFan2005
November 4th, 2014, 11:45 AM
If the flamers think our schedule is so week why don't they move us to 2 in their own poll?

I know, right? They did play App State after all, their schedule is obviously better. With their marquee wins over App, Brevard, and Bryant (who has only beaten one team with a winning record), how could the Flames not obviously be the best team in the Big South?

CasualFan
November 4th, 2014, 12:01 PM
This week's slate is pretty crappy. I definitely think we should talk some more smack about November 22. Seriously, I can't wait for Charleston Southern at Georgia. xlolx

Cheers,
xdrunkyx

knucklehead
November 4th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Look, I'm not saying that CCU's schedule is soft, I'm just trying to use the teams they played to figure out how good they really are. I'm not sure we will know for sure until the 22nd. I can not wait. First, there is some work to do.

CasualFan
November 4th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Is anyone willing to go out on a limb and break the trend of CSU, CCU, Mississippi, and Liberty picks?

ElCid
November 4th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Is anyone willing to go out on a limb and break the trend of CSU, CCU, Mississippi, and Liberty picks?

I think those are it, but I will say of all these games I think the closest will be CCU/Charlotte. Yeah I know that sounds crazy but I think Charlotte is one of those teams that plays to its competition right now. They have tremendous speed and can score as fast as anyone in Div I right now. Their scoring drives against JMU were 0:28, 3:34, 3:33, 1:26, 1:29, 2:20, 2:07. There average scoring drive for the year is around 2 minutes. But they live and die by the big play. I think CCU is a pretty good team (#3 in my poll), but even though Charlotte lost to both CSU and the Dogs in overtime, I think Charlotte is the best team that CCU will have faced to date. Yeah, they are 3-5 but as I say, I think they are generally playing below their capability.

Libertine
November 6th, 2014, 08:31 AM

I'll take the Webb over CSU. G-W handled CSU pretty well a year ago up in Boiling Springs at a point when G-W was just about the same and CSU had a lot more going for them. Also, the 11AM kickoff is not particularly an advantage for CSU. They had morning starts twice last year and were not ready to play in either case.

As for the rest, I'll follow the pattern of Coastal, Ole Miss and Liberty. For all the advantages that Charlotte should have as a "rising FBS" program, they are shockingly bad at actually playing football. If final is within two scores, I'll be surprised. Presby's only hope is that the Rebels forget that their bye is actually next week and don't show up for the game. Monmouth has been to Liberty before and it wasn't pretty. I think Monmouth was better than they showed in the 2013 game but Liberty is still going to have too much on both sides of the ball.

kdinva
November 6th, 2014, 09:25 AM
For all the advantages that Charlotte should have as a "rising FBS" program, they are shockingly bad at actually playing football.

I think, though, UNCC is ahead of Ga. State at this point.....

knucklehead
November 6th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I hope both LU and CCU keep on winning. And no, that does not mean I'm cheering for Coastal. If this happens, then there should be no competition for week 12 GOTW!

rokamortis
November 6th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Look, I'm not saying that CCU's schedule is soft, I'm just trying to use the teams they played to figure out how good they really are. I'm not sure we will know for sure until the 22nd. I can not wait. First, there is some work to do.

Look, I'm not saying she's a gold digger ...

KPSUL
November 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I think those are it, but I will say of all these games I think the closest will be CCU/Charlotte. Yeah I know that sounds crazy but I think Charlotte is one of those teams that plays to its competition right now. They have tremendous speed and can score as fast as anyone in Div I right now. Their scoring drives against JMU were 0:28, 3:34, 3:33, 1:26, 1:29, 2:20, 2:07. There average scoring drive for the year is around 2 minutes. But they live and die by the big play. I think CCU is a pretty good team (#3 in my poll), but even though Charlotte lost to both CSU and the Dogs in overtime, I think Charlotte is the best team that CCU will have faced to date. Yeah, they are 3-5 but as I say, I think they are generally playing below their capability.

Charlotte also lost to Elon, providing Elon's only 2014 win so far. I know you can't use one common opponent to predict an outcome, but I can't fathom a team with a losing record AND also having lost to Elon beating the number 3/2 ranked FBS team.

Coastal Carolina '09
November 6th, 2014, 01:03 PM
xpeacex

ElCid
November 6th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Charlotte also lost to Elon, providing Elon's only 2014 win so far. I know you can't use one common opponent to predict an outcome, but I can't fathom a team with a losing record AND also having lost to Elon beating the number 3/2 ranked FBS team.

No I don't think so either, but as I said, I think it may be closer than the other games if CCU is not careful. But maybe not after all...I did not realize that Charlotte lost its QB, so I just heard. But they appear to be playing to their competition in most of their games. They may have lost to Eloan, but they also kept it close to JMU (566 to JMUs 570 yards of O) and they aren't too shabby this year.

rokamortis
November 7th, 2014, 02:16 AM
No I don't think so either, but as I said, I think it may be closer than the other games if CCU is not careful. But maybe not after all...I did not realize that Charlotte lost its QB, so I just heard. But they appear to be playing to their competition in most of their games. They may have lost to Eloan, but they also kept it close to JMU (566 to JMUs 570 yards of O) and they aren't too shabby this year.

We saw what Furman did with a freshman QB in his first start. They were a completely different team for our game ... then proceeded to crap the bed. Thanks Furman .... xsmhx

Charlotte has a bye week to get their guy acclimated and introduce any new wrinkles. So could be interesting.

Southern Bison
November 7th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I'm going to stay in town this weekend and catch the Coastal/Charlotte game. Anyone from AGS going to be there?

CoastalFan2005
November 7th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I'm going to stay in town this weekend and catch the Coastal/Charlotte game. Anyone from AGS going to be there?

A couple of folks from CoastalFans are going, but I'm not sure where they'll be sitting.

jmrepak
November 7th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I'll be there. We are in GA, but are tailgating with the Alumni Association prior.

Southern Bison
November 7th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Cool! I'll have the Bison flag flying high so look for that.

Southern Bison
November 8th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Coastal handing to the 49ers after 1st quarter. 14-0
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/08/bab8d243cb504af911940cfcee8ed660.jpg

Libertine
November 8th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Good Lord, Gardner-Webb. xsmhx

CasualFan
November 8th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Good Lord, Gardner-Webb. xsmhx
Yeesh. How do you stay motivated after a 1st quarter like that?

knucklehead
November 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Great fan support at Charlotte. WOW!

Big South went pretty much as expected this week. Gardner Webb though..WOW!

jmrepak
November 9th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Great fan support at Charlotte. WOW!

Big South went pretty much as expected this week. Gardner Webb though..WOW!
That pic is at a specific angle. Their student section was probably half empty. The rest was pretty full.

knucklehead
November 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Gotcha.

MarkCCU
November 9th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Coastal fans will travel, I like that. We have a very supportive fan club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk