PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 11

Sader87
November 2nd, 2014, 08:00 PM
LOL...apologies to carney2, I think the Pards fans have had it for this year. Just getting this started if people want to get talking about this weekend's games.

Has to be GotW (Year?): Fordham @ Bucknell Fri 6:30

Lehigh @ Holy Cross Sat 12:35

Lafayette @ Colgate Sat 1:00

GTown has a bye.

ColgateTD
November 2nd, 2014, 08:06 PM
Sader - you know there's now a curse on HC this weekend for you having started this?....

Sader87
November 2nd, 2014, 08:10 PM
Sader - you know there's now a curse on HC this weekend for you having started this?....

We have an "exorcism room" in the Fenwick buildong on campus....we're good. xdrunkyx
http://www.holycross.edu/departments/publicaffairs/hcm/winter06/features/feature1.html

Ivytalk
November 2nd, 2014, 08:44 PM
Fordham: Frankie Frisch takes Christy Mathewson deep
Holy Cross: Jesuits bring out the hoodoo
Colgate: The Raiders right the ship

bonarae
November 2nd, 2014, 09:31 PM
Fordham
Holy Cross
Colgate

ngineer
November 2nd, 2014, 09:33 PM
Very hard to go against the Rams, even without Nebrich. Now, BU without stellar DT Naylor and Nitti a ??? Would love to see Bison pull it out, but don't see how. Fordham, 38-20.

Very tough game to call. Crusaders have shown to be better than their record...same as Lehigh. Both teams have made a ton of mistakes that has prevented them from having a winning season. A number of LU frosh are starting to make their presence felt. Both QB's appear to be fairly similar, though Pujols seems to make few mistakes. Shafnisky looks great, then takes a step back. Part of growing process, but frustrating. I see this coming down to a FG and Lehigh's Pandy is due to make a meaningful kick for the Brown & White. Lehigh 31-28.

Going with the home team on the tundra. Laughyette having trouble with their OL. Raiders, 27-24.

carney2
November 3rd, 2014, 05:57 AM
LOL...apologies to carney2, I think the Pards fans have had it for this year.

Apologies. I'm suffering through Maine's first "blizzard" of the year. And, yes, most Pards packed it in after the Holy Cross No Show debacle. If tickets for New York's Toilet Bowl aren't for sale, many wish they could find some other pressing engagement for the 22nd. Both "teams" are a joke.

jimbo65
November 3rd, 2014, 07:14 AM
Fordham

Lehigh

Colgate

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2014, 09:31 AM
Colgate 96, Lafayette 14

FordhamFan
November 3rd, 2014, 10:15 AM
I'm nervous. Road game, Friday night, TV, gonna be cold. But I still think the Rams will pull it out.

Fordham
November 3rd, 2014, 10:46 AM
I'm nervous. Road game, Friday night, TV, gonna be cold. But I still think the Rams will pull it out.

same here. Bucknell D very good. Not sure if Nitti will play or not but their running game is very good too so that's a concern as well since it's always been our Achilles' heal. Combine that with a Bucknell team amp'd up by the chance at the auto-bid AND on national TV and I really hope we come to play. I also love how Maetzold played but would feel more comfortable if Nebrich was somehow able to go given his experience playing away in tough games.

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2014, 12:21 PM
Seems like the Patriot League fans don't even care about the PL this year... unless you are Fordham... I mean the Rams have a great team but it would be nice if everyone else could pull their weight and make things interesting.

Sader87
November 3rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
Next year will be very interesting imo....Fordham will still be good but they lose a lot of Sr stahters on both O&D, matched with all the other teams adding another scholarship class. Should/could be a wide-open PL in 2015.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2014, 12:37 PM
Fordham will take a step back, especially if they lose their coach. This is their opportunity to make a run imo. They had a chance in 2002 but lost to Villanova in the round of 8.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 3rd, 2014, 12:39 PM
You should care about and watch this Fordham team... it's a once-in-a-generation team IMO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
You should care about and watch this Fordham team... it's a once-in-a-generation team IMO.

I'll be interested to see how they do in the playoffs. They need to do it when it matters. The Army game will be interesting....

FordhamFan
November 3rd, 2014, 12:44 PM
If Moorhead stays after this season, I'd be SHOCKED

Sader87
November 3rd, 2014, 12:46 PM
HC '87 was bettah than FU 2014.....just sayin' xcoffeex

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2014, 12:50 PM

As would I...

RichH2
November 3rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
See FU already pushing PL forward again with guaranteed 4 yr schollies starting this year. Here we go again :)

BucBisonAtLarge
November 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
Fordham

Lehigh

Colgate

Ramblin' Man
November 3rd, 2014, 07:02 PM

HC '87 was bettah than FU 2014.....just sayin' xcoffeex

That was more than a generation ago. xthumbsupx

Ramblin' Man
November 3rd, 2014, 07:14 PM

I don't get why some Ram fans seem to be convinced that Coach Moorhead is halfway out the door. I've had a chance to speak with him on more than one occasion and he has a number of goals that he wants to achieve here at Rose Hill. He is an alumnus, after all, and gives the impression of being extremely loyal to the Old Maroon. Don't forget that he signed a contract extension after last season, when he supposedly was on many schools' radar.

While we can never be absolutely certain that a "hot" FCS coach like Moorhead will not be persuaded to step up to the next level, I find this belief bordering on certainty among Fordham fans to be...well...a bit masochistic.

FordhamFan
November 3rd, 2014, 07:27 PM
I don't get why some Ram fans seem to be convinced that Coach Moorhead is halfway out the door. I've had a chance to speak with him on more than one occasion and he has a number of goals that he wants to achieve here at Rose Hill. He is an alumnus, after all, and gives the impression of being extremely loyal to the Old Maroon. Don't forget that he signed a contract extension after last season, when he supposedly was on many schools' radar.

While we can never be absolutely certain that a "hot" FCS coach like Moorhead will not be persuaded to step up to the next level, I find this belief bordering on certainty among Fordham fans to be...well...a bit masochistic.

The lack of support institutionally from Fordham would make any coach leave given the right opportunity. The offices are a joke, the football team gets bumped around as far as field availability goes, meetings are held wherever they can scrounge room...it's a joke. Fordham does not understand the gem they have in this man, and I'm praying they can make as good a hire when/if he leaves.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2014, 07:28 PM

I think it depends on what opportunities are available after the season. I doubt he leaves for the sake of leaving but if the right job comes along he'll at least seriously consider it. If nothing else I could see a "good" FBS program offering Moorhead a OC job.....

I still wonder who approached Ambrose after last year and if he has any regrets in staying. Fordham, historically, is a better program than Towson. Even so, it's not like the Rams have been racking up league championships or winnings seasons over the last 10-20 years....

Sader87
November 3rd, 2014, 08:23 PM
That was more than a generation ago. xthumbsupx

Not for the many Irish at HC....we marry late and have kids in our 30s and 40s.....xdrunkyx

TheValleyRaider
November 3rd, 2014, 08:25 PM
2-1 last weekend, 36-13 overall

Fordham at Bucknell Fordham Last major hurdle for the Rams this season, Bison nearly got a win in the Bronx last year. I expect a good showing from BU, but too many injuries and too many weapons.

Lehigh at Holy Cross Holy Cross Not really sure what to think about this one. Neither squad looks like they have a grip on winning games, but I'll take the Crusaders at home.

Lafayette at Colgate Colgate Back to the friendly confines, looking to wrap up an unbeaten home campaign (one year after going 0-fer). Is Mooney finally able to put together a win?

Ramblin' Man
November 4th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Fordham does not understand the gem they have in this man

The five year contract extension given Moorhead after only two years at the helm says otherwise.

Pard4Life
November 4th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Next year will be very interesting imo....Fordham will still be good but they lose a lot of Sr stahters on both O&D, matched with all the other teams adding another scholarship class. Should/could be a wide-open PL in 2015.

So... everyone will be swimming in a sea of disappointing mediocrity? I feel like c2 is starting to rub off... then again, swimming in a sea of mediocrity may be our only hope of a title. There is something to be excited about after all!

Pard4Life
November 4th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I'll be interested to see how they do in the playoffs. They need to do it when it matters. The Army game will be interesting....

A healthy Nebrich and Fordham wins.

Sader87
November 4th, 2014, 09:41 AM
So... everyone will be swimming in a sea of disappointing mediocrity? I feel like c2 is starting to rub off... then again, swimming in a sea of mediocrity may be our only hope of a title. There is something to be excited about after all!

To an extent yes....but I also see PL teams getting better and better every year for the next 4 or 5 years though....they become more and more scholarship talented athletically and then build on that base once they have become completely scholarship.

That's the hope anyway.

Fordham
November 4th, 2014, 10:38 AM

I agree with FordhamFan on this one and I've also had many conversations with Coach. While he's never said 'he's out of here' the fact is that he's a young coach and far and away the most talented I've seen at Fordham, although Clawson is in his league (again, just my opinion). He has bigger and better things to achieve imo. No masochism here - just very grateful that a fellow alum who could have gone anywhere to work his magic, chose to come back to Rose Hill to give us these special seasons.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I would have thought he would have been a natural for UConn but they appear to have turned a bit of a corner in the mess that is the AAC. Otherwise, where would he go? Maybe a MAC school?

What I would look at is Vandy's direction for a new head coach. If they take Clawson or Lembo, I could see Moorhead heading to one or the other, IMO.

FordhamFan
November 4th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I agree with FordhamFan on this one and I've also had many conversations with Coach. While he's never said 'he's out of here' the fact is that he's a young coach and far and away the most talented I've seen at Fordham, although Clawson is in his league (again, just my opinion). He has bigger and better things to achieve imo. No masochism here - just very grateful that a fellow alum who could have gone anywhere to work his magic, chose to come back to Rose Hill to give us these special seasons.

Boom, nailed it. He's just a rising coach. It's how the game works. He's going to be a coach at the 1A level, and he deserves to be. I'm in agreement with the quoted statement, I'm just very happy he came here and maybe revitalized the program for awhile. And hey, if he leaves one of his assistants to run the team, all the better. That whole staff is tremendous.

Sader87
November 4th, 2014, 10:48 AM
It'll be interesting....obviously FU is not going to be as good as this year for at least a few years probably. If he were to strike while the iron is hot...this would have to be the year to do it.

Howevah, he may comfortable at FU....lot of examples of guys who have put off going FBS to stay at their FCS school....Laycock and Murphy at Harvard come quickly to mind.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I would have thought he would have been a natural for UConn but they appear to have turned a bit of a corner in the mess that is the AAC. Otherwise, where would he go? Maybe a MAC school?

What I would look at is Vandy's direction for a new head coach. If they take Clawson or Lembo, I could see Moorhead heading to one or the other, IMO.

Syracuse desperately needs help on offense. I could see him as the OC there.....

FordhamFan
November 4th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Syracuse desperately needs help on offense. I could see him as the OC there.....

MAC is what I'm thinking. I don't know anything as a fact obviously, but he's been an OC at the next level, I don't think he wants to go back to do that. He wants to be a head coach. I think Akron could be the place. Bowden might get a better job and Moorhead has been there before, he's from Pittsburgh...Akron wouldn't shock me if that job opened up.

Fordham
November 4th, 2014, 11:20 AM
He's a Pittsburgh guy. I could see him going to a MAC school in Ohio. The only chance I see him staying for another year is if he really wants to be at Pitt and holds out for another season or two until that one opens up again.

If he stays, it's possible (not likely but possible) that he convinces Nebrich to stay for one more year. With guys like Hodge coming back and what they are calling far and away our best recruiting class ever on its way in, we may not take THAT much of a step back next year. That's alot of ifs but it all starts with the guy at the helm.

The Boogie Down
November 4th, 2014, 12:57 PM
And hey, if he leaves one of his assistants to run the team, all the better. That whole staff is tremendous.

That's what we thought in 2004 with Ed Foley.

With guys like Hodge coming back and what they are calling far and away our best recruiting class ever on its way in, we may not take THAT much of a step back next year.

We thought that too in 2004. We lost the big three (Eakin, Watson, Dudley) but had Tad Kornegay (who became an all-star in Canada) coming back and some other solid contributors like Marcus Taylor and James Prydatko. Plus some new, highly touted talent ready to step up like Derric Daniels, Jonte Coven and Sylvester Clarke. They had their moments here and there but we went from 9-3 to 2-9 in two years.

Of course two years after that we were back in the playoffs so who knows what roller coaster rides the future holds.

Bill
November 4th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Had a nice 3-0 last week...up to 37-12.

On to a week 11:

Fordham @ Bucknell - Not going to be close, even without the QB. Rams, 36-10.

Lehigh @ Holy Cross - Oh boy. Gut says HC, heart says Lehigh. If we lose, are we guaranteed a better draft spot? :) Lehigh, 32-31

Lafayette @ Colgate - Raiders all the way. Colgate, 23-12

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Of course two years after that we were back in the playoffs so who knows what roller coaster rides the future holds.

To be a Fordham fan is to enjoy rollercoasters.

FordhamFan
November 4th, 2014, 07:53 PM
To be a Fordham fan is to enjoy rollercoasters.

That's just a perfect quote.

PAllen
November 5th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Fordham - Bucknell could give them a run for their money, but Fordham is just better

Holy Cross - I've been wrong on every Lehigh pick this year, let's hope it continues

Colgate - The march to an anticlimactic 150 continues.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Fordham - Bucknell could give them a run for their money, but Fordham is just better

Holy Cross - I've been wrong on every Lehigh pick this year, let's hope it continues

Colgate - The march to an anticlimactic 150 continues.

Very glad to see PAllen doing his part to finish the season strong. :)

van
November 5th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Fordham @ Bucknell, Rams should top Buffs, but expect it to be close as home team defends well

Lehigh @ Holy Cross, engineers improving but still not there, Crossers up and down so who knows?

Lafayette @ Colgate, Pards in disarray and Gaters have been more consistent and at home

Lehigh'98
November 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Bucknell can win this if Nebrich is out.
Cross is bad, Lehigh is more badder.
Gate, the march to the worst big PL game in history continues.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I haven't made my pick yet, but am wondering why Lehigh was deemed so much better than Georgetown last week, but are considered underdogs by most heading to "Woostah" this weekend. I can understand people picking the Cross, but so resoundingly?

FordhamFan
November 5th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I haven't made my pick yet, but am wondering why Lehigh was deemed so much better than Georgetown last week, but are considered underdogs by most heading to "Woostah" this weekend. I can understand people picking the Cross, but so resoundingly?

I'm with ya there, that game is as toss up as it gets. Cross is so inconsistent and Lehigh, while quite bad, is a slowly rising stock. Will be a close one if you ask me, and Lehigh's got the playmakers to win almost any game, home or away.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 5th, 2014, 11:39 AM

I've watched HC a bunch this year. The Crusaders really don't have any explosive players on offense, especially out wide. The HC front 7 is also a little dicey. This is a pretty interesting matchup overall. I think LU's quickness on offense and good OL will be the difference.

HC has not beaten LU since 2009....

carney2
November 5th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Fordham @ Bucknell Fri 6:30 - With or without Nebrich, another Ram laffer.

Lehigh @ Holy Cross Sat 12:35 - Was thinking this might be a tossup and then it hit me - it's Pujals against the phantom Lehigh D.

Lafayette @ Colgate Sat 1:00 - Hitters beat quitters.

Sader87
November 5th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I've been beating up on my alma mater a lot this season but an argument could be made, that on any given day, they could be the 2nd best team (far below FU) in the PL this year.

Within the league so fah, they've lost to FU badly (who hasn't?), coulda/woulda/shoulda won at Colgate and beat Laffy on the road. They've also played Albany and Dartmouth pretty tough on the road.

You are what you are (HC is 3-6) but they could very easily be 6-3 but for a play or two in the @Albany, @Colgate and @Brown games this year.

They've also been a victim of terrible scheduling this season.....this Saturday will be our first home game since Sept 27th.

I'm not saying we blow out Lehigh this Saturday but a win would hardly be surprising imo. Lehigh has had a very difficult schedule too....not putting down the Engineers in this regard.....it'll be a good game as all PL games not involving FU this year have been this year mostly.

JimboCBA72
November 5th, 2014, 01:32 PM

Uh? Clawson is in his first year as HC of Wake Forest

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Uh? Clawson is in his first year as HC of Wake Forest

Fair point. I forgot he was already at Wake.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Not for the many Irish at HC....we marry late and have kids in our 30s and 40s.....xdrunkyx

There is still a special place in the world for the Irish bachelor.

ColgateTD
November 5th, 2014, 07:32 PM
36-13

Fordham - the Rams showed us last week just how overwhelming they are. Don't think the Bison can take them out.

LU - I see LU coming on strong in anticipation of the 150th.

Colgate - Now we're getting down to our own level in the PL. Home team pulls it out.

bison137
November 5th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I've b

They've also been a victim of terrible scheduling this season.....this Saturday will be our first home game since Sept 27th.

Sounds familiar. Bucknell had no home games in October and only one in September. Had only one home game over a 62-day span.

van
November 5th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Sounds familiar. Bucknell had no home games in October and only one in September. Had only one home game over a 62-day span.

And hardly anyone in Lewisburg noticed.

ngineer
November 5th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Fair point. I forgot he was already at Wake.

What a Lehigh connection with Higgins as Asst. Head Coach!

Lehigh'98
November 6th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I've been beating up on my alma mater a lot this season but an argument could be made, that on any given day, they could be the 2nd best team (far below FU) in the PL this year.

Within the league so fah, they've lost to FU badly (who hasn't?), coulda/woulda/shoulda won at Colgate and beat Laffy on the road. They've also played Albany and Dartmouth pretty tough on the road.

You are what you are (HC is 3-6) but they could very easily be 6-3 but for a play or two in the @Albany, @Colgate and @Brown games this year.

I'm not saying we blow out Lehigh this Saturday but a win would hardly be surprising imo. Lehigh has had a very difficult schedule too....not putting down the Engineers in this regard.....it'll be a good game as all PL games not involving FU this year have been this year mostly.

I think it's pretty clear Bucknell is 2nd best in PL, Gate prob 3rd. From there, it's ugly.

Fordhamanhattan
November 6th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Fordham has both the Patriot league pre-season defensive player (Hodge) and offensive player of the year (Nebrich) out for this fray but I am still sticking with the Maroon. Perhaps the spirit of Cornelius Murphy, the Ram who died after injuries suffered in the 1931 contest between undefeated Bucknell and Iron Major Frank Cavanaugh's undefeated Fordham before 30,000 in the Polo Grounds on November 21st of that year will inspire The Bronx eleven. another Ram tackle John Syzmanski also suffered severe injury in that contest. Fordham students and fans prayed to native American martyr Kateri Tekakwitha for her intercession in his plight and many believe it led to his recovery. It aided her rise to sainthood. Bucknell won the '31 game 13-12 but Sleepy Jim Crowley's Rams came back in '32 to vanquish the Bison 30-0 the following annum. The softball field at Fordham is named in Mr. Murphy's honor.

Sandlapper Spike
November 6th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Fordham @ Bucknell

Lehigh @ Holy Cross

Lafayette @ Colgate

Gate83
November 6th, 2014, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=Sader87;2172657]
Within the league so fah, they've lost to FU badly (who hasn't?), coulda/woulda/shoulda won at Colgate and beat Laffy on the road. They've also played Albany and Dartmouth pretty tough on the road.[QUOTE]

Channeling your inner Jet fan, eh? Will there soon be a "fire Gilmore" banner circling Fitton?

Fordham
November 6th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Not sure how tomorrow night will play out but I have to say it's a testament to Coach Moorhead, his staff and the team he's assembled that we have both the last year's PL Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year (as well as this year's Pre-Season ones) out and yet we are still favored to win. I know we had the jump on scholarships so there's a big advantage there but not many teams can lose two team and league leaders like that and barely skip a beat (thus far).

RichH2
November 6th, 2014, 09:03 AM
38-11
Lehigh
Fordham
Colgate

bison137
November 6th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Not sure how tomorrow night will play out but I have to say it's a testament to Coach Moorhead, his staff and the team he's assembled that we have both the last year's PL Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year (as well as this year's Pre-Season ones) out and yet we are still favored to win. I know we had the jump on scholarships so there's a big advantage there but not many teams can lose two team and league leaders like that and barely skip a beat (thus far).

But even with them out, Fordham still has a HUGE advantage over the rest of the league. The other six have no scholarship seniors and no scholarship juniors. Last I looked FU is starting 17 scholarship seniors.

Sader87
November 6th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I think it's pretty clear Bucknell is 2nd best in PL, Gate prob 3rd. From there, it's ugly.

This what makes the last 3 weeks in the PL somewhat interesting at least.

I'm not saying HC is clearly the #2 in the PL right now but if they win out from here and I think you could make that argument.

I think Bucknell is about to get exposed (my opinion) these last few weeks. If they had played HC's schedule so fah, they'd be in the 4-5 or 5-4 range record-wise is my guess.

Still not terribly bullish about the Crusadahs this year.....they've been a maddeningly, frustrating team to follow but I think they have an opportunity to end this season on a high note and put those frustrations behind them....we shall see.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2014, 11:36 AM
But even with them out, Fordham still has a HUGE advantage over the rest of the league. The other six have no scholarship seniors and no scholarship juniors. Last I looked FU is starting 17 scholarship seniors.

You forgot the (3?) post-grad scholarship players and transfer scholarship players who essentially had a redshirt year elsewhere, like Tebucky Jones, Jr. Not condemning the practice, but it does offer a big competitive advantage.

Ramblin' Man
November 6th, 2014, 12:17 PM
You forgot the (3?) post-grad scholarship players and transfer scholarship players who essentially had a redshirt year elsewhere, like Tebucky Jones, Jr. Not condemning the practice, but it does offer a big competitive advantage.

No question about that, but you still have to have the right coaches responsible for recruiting, preparation, and game day strategy. Remember that in 2011 we had two scholarship classes already while the rest of the league had none, yet we still wound up with a record of 1-10.

The next year, under Coach Moorhead, we were 6-5 and 3-3 in the Patriot League. Those three PL losses were by a combined total of eight points. What a difference a year (and a coach) can make.

Sader87
November 6th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Tomorrow's FU@BU game, biggest regular season PL game on national TV (sorta...CBS Sports network) since???

I really don't know....was there one last year? FU at Laffy? Lehigh at Colgate a few years ago?

Sadly, I won't see it...doing a high school game on local cable.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Tomorrow's FU@BU game, biggest regular season PL game on national TV (sorta...CBS Sports network) since???

I really don't know....was there one last year? FU at Laffy? Lehigh at Colgate a few years ago?

Sadly, I won't see it...doing a high school game on local cable.

Lehigh and Fordham were both undefeated and ranked in the Top 15 last year when the game was on CBS SportsNetwork. Given the moment in time, you'll he hard pressed to beat that one. Maybe Lehigh-Colgate in 2004? That was CSTV iirc....not sure the viewership on that one...

ace93
November 6th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Who are the ones you are counting?

bison137
November 6th, 2014, 03:50 PM
No question about that, but you still have to have the right coaches responsible for recruiting, preparation, and game day strategy. Remember that in 2011 we had two scholarship classes already while the rest of the league had none, yet we still wound up with a record of 1-10.

The next year, under Coach Moorhead, we were 6-5 and 3-3 in the Patriot League. Those three PL losses were by a combined total of eight points. What a difference a year (and a coach) can make.

Another way to look at this is how important junior/senior scholarship players are in football.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 6th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Who are the ones you are counting?

Biestek, Yancey, Ian Williams are the three. Tebucky Jones, Jr., Nebrich redshirted at UConn.

Again, not condemning the practice, but all five of these guys are huge difference-makers. Klecko, who as you point out is hurt, is a junior and will be a 5th year senior next year.

Take this as a compliment - I will be very, very happy to see all five of these kids graduate.

ace93
November 6th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Biestek, Yancey, Ian Williams are the three. Tebucky Jones, Jr., Nebrich redshirted at UConn.

Again, not condemning the practice, but all five of these guys are huge difference-makers. Klecko, who as you point out is hurt, is a junior and will be a 5th year senior next year.

Take this as a compliment - I will be very, very happy to see all five of these kids graduate.

Ok, not sure of the situation on Yancey and Williams, but they are both listed as seniors on our roster, while Biestek is listed as grad.

As for Nebrich, he did not redshirt at UConn. Played in 8 games there in '11. 3 games at FU in '12. 13 games in '13. Whatever and counting in '14. Rumor has it he most likely won't be coming back even though he could have due to medical hardship waiver for '12.

BTW, wasn't there a time when the PL did not allow post-graduate athletes? I recall my senior year inquiring about a redshirt and being told that if I graduated I could not apply for it, but if I did not graduate, I could. Not sure if that was accurate or not.

ngineer
November 6th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Ok, not sure of the situation on Yancey and Williams, but they are both listed as seniors on our roster, while Biestek is listed as grad.

As for Nebrich, he did not redshirt at UConn. Played in 8 games there in '11. 3 games at FU in '12. 13 games in '13. Whatever and counting in '14. Rumor has it he most likely won't be coming back even though he could have due to medical hardship waiver for '12.

BTW, wasn't there a time when the PL did not allow post-graduate athletes? I recall my senior year inquiring about a redshirt and being told that if I graduated I could not apply for it, but if I did not graduate, I could. Not sure if that was accurate or not.

With the medical red shirt one can work on a masters degree and play that fifth year.

ace93
November 6th, 2014, 11:21 PM
With the medical red shirt one can work on a masters degree and play that fifth year.

Now, yes, but I was told the PL did not always allow it. Not sure why I even posted that question earlier.

Gangtackle11
November 7th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Fordham 38 Bucknell 20
Holy Cross 27 Lehigh 13
Colgate 27 Lafayette 14

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Game Preview, Lehigh at Holy Cross:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/11/game-preview-lehigh-at-holy-cross.html

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2014, 11:29 AM
3-0 last week, 38-11 overall....

Fordham 35 Bucknell 24 - The Bison battle hard but the Rams still get a double digit win. This would be a fun game to be at. CMS at night seems like a cool place...I love BU's campus!

Colgate 30 Lafayette 21 -It's suppose to be a cold weekend in Hamilton. That spells a W for Colgate and another disappointing ride down Route 12 for Lafayette....

Lehigh 34 Holy Cross 24 - I've watched HC a number of times this year and the same problems continue exist for them. The Crusaders really don't have the weapons on offense to take advantage of the big plays LU tends to give up. Shaf outplayed Pujals in his debut last year. Watching both teams play, Lehigh has the more explosive players, especially on offense. Both teams have real shaky kickers....

Sader87
November 7th, 2014, 12:42 PM
39-10 on the year...C&P'd from Crossports:

The HAL9000 spat out the following this morning:

Fordham 38 Bucknell 20 The Bison hang tough for awhile but the Rams pull away with too many weapons in the 2nd half.

Colgate 23 Lafayette 17 The Red Raiders seem to own the Pards, especially in Hamilton.

Holy Cross 34 Lehigh 17 Crusaders put together their best effort of the year on their return to Fitton after a half season exodus.

Pard4Life
November 7th, 2014, 02:12 PM
This season needs to be put out of its misery...

Fordham 28, Bucknell 20

Holy Cross 34, Lehigh 30

Colgate 70, Lafayette 14

Sader87
November 7th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Chandler Fenner, a CB with the Giants, will be the first Sadah to start an NFL game this Sunday since Kozerski started on the Bengal O-Line into the mid-90s.

Leopard Loyalist
November 7th, 2014, 02:49 PM

Agreed. Not even sure that the Yankee Stadium extravaganza rises to the level of anti-climax at this point.

Fordham over Bucknell
Holy Cross edges Lehigh
Colgate beats Lafayette

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2014, 02:54 PM
It's going to be a cold, windy night in Lewisburg with some snow flurries flying around. Great football weather....

Pard4Life
November 7th, 2014, 03:41 PM
It's going to be a cold, windy night in Lewisburg with some snow flurries flying around. Great football weather....

Bucknell wins if there is snow... simply because they win when it snows.

Go...gate
November 7th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Fordham 21, Bucknell 16

Lehigh 33, Holy Cross 24

Colgate 23, Lafayette 20

Bonus pick: Princeton 27, Pennsylvania 23

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Will the Fordham-Bucknell game be streamed?

The Boogie Down
November 7th, 2014, 04:51 PM
RAMS, Raiders and Saders all close, but all over the Keystoners.

RichH2
November 7th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Seems not owl.

Southsider
November 7th, 2014, 04:59 PM

Fordham 28, Bucknell 20

Holy Cross 34, Lehigh 30

Colgate 70, Lafayette 14

Yes, but the sun will still rise on Sundayxdrunkyx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I checked out the PL Network just because and the Colgate-Bucknell soccer game started. It's snowing heavily in Hamilton right now. Should be fun tomorrow....

ColgateTD
November 7th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Hot dogs are overcooking at the Rams-Bison game. Play is being delayed due to hamburger smoke :)

Pard4Life
November 7th, 2014, 06:44 PM
I checked out the PL Network just because and the Colgate-Bucknell soccer game started. It's snowing heavily in Hamilton right now. Should be fun tomorrow....

Great. Instead of losing by 56, Lafayette will lose by 70.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Forgot about Friday football. Its 10-10 but I'm still predicting 35-24 Fordham. Hope I'm wrong because Lauretta has That Look tonight.

ColgateTD
November 7th, 2014, 08:37 PM
17-17 all. Looks like the Bison are poised for an upset.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2014, 10:39 AM
game breakdown, Lehigh Holy Cross:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/11/game-breakdown-lehigh-at-holy-cross.html

Better late than never.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Fordham -- check
Lehigh
Colgate (35-10) over Lafayette

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Lehigh 3 HC 0 7:53 1Q

The Boogie Down
November 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
game breakdown, Lehigh Holy Cross:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2014/11/game-breakdown-lehigh-at-holy-cross.html

Better late than never.

Yeah, bettah late than nevah but no Massachusetts based drink recipe? Thought the Cape Codder would be an obvious choice?

Fordham -- check
Lehigh
Colgate (35-10) over Lafayette

Very-very small "check" on that first pick. Not that I ain't grateful!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 12:01 PM
HC stops LU twice from the 1 yard line, including once on 4th down....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 12:03 PM
LU 3 HC 0 End 1Q

Lehigh really dominated but their struggles scoring TD's in the RZ continue....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 12:24 PM
HC puts together a nice drive that ends in a FG....

3-3 about 6:00 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Pujals with a 11 yard TD run....LU controlled the 1st quarter but was denied at the goal line, HC has won the 2nd quarter including being able to score in the RZ...

10-3 HC....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Shaf gets picked trying to throw the ball out of bounds, HC converts with a TD right before. #46 for HC has been the difference in this game. Playing great on D. LU gets the ball to start the second half....

17-3 HC 0:19

Lehigh'98
November 8th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Horrible mistake by Shaf...can't throw ball up for grabs.

Southsider
November 8th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Shaf gets picked trying to throw the ball out of bounds, HC converts with a TD right before. #46 for HC has been the difference in this game. Playing great on D. LU gets the ball to start the second half....

17-3 HC 0:19

Owl, I know you like this kid, but LU will not succeed with him at the controls. It did not look to me like he was trying to throw the ball away. It looked more like a holy crap just heave it throw! The OC is a bust! When you can't score from 3 yards out you are in trouble.

Lehigh'98
November 8th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Lehigh seems to have no counter for defensive adjustments HC made.

Franks Tanks
November 8th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Colgate up 3-0 in the 2nd. The Lafayette offense is absolutely awful, with about 40 yards of offense so far. I believe we have more false starts than 1st downs.

You guys ready for 150?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Owl, I know you like this kid, but LU will not succeed with him at the controls. It did not look to me like he was trying to throw the ball away. It looked more like a holy crap just heave it throw! The OC is a bust! When you can't score from 3 yards out you are in trouble.

I think he was honestly trying to rid over it and it didn't work. He wasn't really looking where he threw it. His attention seemed to be getting to the side line....

Sodeke imo needs to find a the EZ on 4th down. You have a 3 yard wide hole and a one on one with the LB. Make an individual play.....

Southsider
November 8th, 2014, 01:00 PM
This team makes my head hurt......xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangx

van
November 8th, 2014, 01:01 PM
+1

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Lehigh scores a touchdown on their first possession of the 2nd half, but a long kickoff return and a 4th and 2 conversion allow Holy Cross to answer. Holy Cross leads Lehigh 24-10 in the 3rd quarter.

Meanwhile, despite FOUR 1st half Colgate turnovers, Lafayette can't do anything to capitalize. Colgate leads 10-0 and is deep in Leopards territory late in the 2nd quarter.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM
After watching a couple of Campus Insiders webcasts, I'm just about ready to blow up Ruby Tuesday's headquarters and create malware for the 120 Sports app. xrolleyesx

Neighbor2
November 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Still pick'n Lehigh for the Bumble in the Bronx, but it's a tough call.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Pelletier in the locker room without his helmet, and without Pelletier, Lehigh's passing offense has sputtered.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Parrish has to make that catch!

Lehigh'98
November 8th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Coen has his work cut out for him this offseason.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 02:11 PM
TD Lehigh...

HC 27 Lehigh 20 3:44 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Lehigh has the ball at their own 25, 1 T.O. left, 1:30 left....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 02:23 PM
After a big play to the HC 45 ball Shaf's pass goes right off a LU's WR hands and into a HC defender arms. HC will win a hard fought game. HC's defense made the plays when they had to and the LU offense did not.

Southsider
November 8th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Just another awful loss.............This team is a mess.

Franks Tanks
November 8th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Gate and the Pards all tied at 16 in the 4th.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Two chances for touchdowns in the first two drives, Lehigh comes away with 3 points. Story of the game. Had they made either of them into TDs it could have gone differently.

tingly
November 8th, 2014, 02:36 PM
First drives can be the easiest to score, too. Gotta take advantage.

Southsider
November 8th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Wrong thread Tingly...........?

tingly
November 8th, 2014, 02:41 PM
not anymore :)

Sader87
November 8th, 2014, 02:43 PM
That had all the earmarks of a typical HC collapse ovah the last 3 seasons.....finally caught a break.

We have been probably the worst team in the country in closing out games in that span.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Gate and the Pards all tied at 16 in the 4th.

The Lafayette/Colgate game has been totally different in the 2nd half. Colgate hasn't done much offensively, while Lafayette has come alive. This would be an excellent win for the Leopards if they can pull it out.

Still 16-16 with about 8 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 02:50 PM
The Leopards with their second partially blocked punt of the 2nd half. Lafayette with the ball inside of Colgate's 25 yard line.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Missed Lafayette FG keeps it tied

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Lafayette completes a long pass on 3rd and 7 to get down inside the Colgate 30 yard line, and then kicks a 31 yard FG with 3 seconds left in regulation to win 19-16.

Go...gate
November 8th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Congratulations to Lafayette. They never quit and kept on fighting. Well done.

ColgateTD
November 8th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Just another terrible collapse in the 4thQ. The team just can't finish games this year :(

LU-CU shaping up to be the battle for last place.

ngineer
November 8th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I listened to the LU game on my headset while working in the yard this afternoon and I am sure the neighbors thought I was ready for a 402 Commitment with all the profanity streaming forth. Totally inexcusable not to score with three shots at the one....and they use a shotgun formation to run into the line??? WTF!! The game was lost in the first quarter by the coaches. I rarely dump on coaches because most of the tlme it is an execution issue. However, you have to place the players in position to be successful and they did not. Losing Pelletier was a killer as well. Kelsey's tipped ball at the end was a shame but not for lack of effort. Physical mistakes will happen all the time, but DUMBASS PLAYCALLING at this stage of the season...DON'T GET ME STARTED!! From the sounds of it, I thought the Frankasaurus had taken the wrong bus and ended up on our sidelines. Folmar opened up the playbook in the second half, but it was too late. Despite his numbers, I don't know if Shafnisky is the answer going forward. He needs to improve his arm strength. Next year we're going to have a very nice stable of receivers and the ol' "Air Lehigh" SHOULD return, but keeping in mind some very nice running backs. This OC has had plenty of time by now to get his act together. Defensively, we played a pretty decent game, though some blown coverages resulted in points. Still the defense did enough today to win. Will be interesting to see how many people show up in Goodman next week. The curiosity seekers, like rubberneckers, straining to see how the wreck will occur this week.

I feel much better now...thank you.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I listened to the LU game on my headset while working in the yard this afternoon and I am sure the neighbors thought I was ready for a 402 Commitment with all the profanity streaming forth. Totally inexcusable not to score with three shots at the one....and they use a shotgun formation to run into the line??? WTF!! The game was lost in the first quarter by the coaches. I rarely dump on coaches because most of the tlme it is an execution issue. However, you have to place the players in position to be successful and they did not. Losing Pelletier was a killer as well. Kelsey's tipped ball at the end was a shame but not for lack of effort. Physical mistakes will happen all the time, but DUMBASS PLAYCALLING at this stage of the season...DON'T GET ME STARTED!! From the sounds of it, I thought the Frankasaurus had taken the wrong bus and ended up on our sidelines. Folmar opened up the playbook in the second half, but it was too late. Despite his numbers, I don't know if Shafnisky is the answer going forward. He needs to improve his arm strength. Next year we're going to have a very nice stable of receivers and the ol' "Air Lehigh" SHOULD return, but keeping in mind some very nice running backs. This OC has had plenty of time by now to get his act together. Defensively, we played a pretty decent game, though some blown coverages resulted in points. Still the defense did enough today to win. Will be interesting to see how many people show up in Goodman next week. The curiosity seekers, like rubberneckers, straining to see how the wreck will occur this week.

The fact spread teams often refuse to get out of the shotgun when they need less than a yard, and especially when they need less than a foot, is one of my real pet peeves. The (Philadelphia) Eagles essentially lost their game against the Cardinals a couple weeks ago because Chip Kelly called a a middle run from the shotgun formation when the Eagles needed 6 inches for a 1st down and 2 feet for a touchdown. JUST RUN THE F****** QUARTERBACK SNEAK IN THAT SITUATION! You can't tell me you can't run your spread offense with the quarterback under center.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2014, 08:54 PM
The fact spread teams often refuse to get out of the shotgun when they need less than a yard, and especially when they need less than a foot, is one of my real pet peeves. The (Philadelphia) Eagles essentially lost their game against the Cardinals a couple weeks ago because Chip Kelly called a a middle run from the shotgun formation when the Eagles needed 6 inches for a 1st down and 2 feet for a touchdown. JUST RUN THE F****** QUARTERBACK SNEAK IN THAT SITUATION! You can't tell me you can't run your spread offense with the quarterback under center.

There's so many teams around the country that do it. Auburn and ND did it in basically every short yardage situation today. Lehigh did the same with Colvin but it almost always worked.

They should bring in Tom Brady to teach the art of the QB sneak. That man is the best 1 yard runner in football history...

ngineer
November 8th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Shafnisky has "twinkle toes". Not the best QB sneak candidate, but we do have a strong runner in Leigh for between the tackles and we do have a couple full backs. Whatever happened to the quick-opener.

Lehigh'98
November 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM
There's so many teams around the country that do it. Auburn and ND did it in basically every short yardage situation today. Lehigh did the same with Colvin but it almost always worked.

They should bring in Tom Brady to teach the art of the QB sneak. That man is the best 1 yard runner in football history...

Never seen Brady stopped on a sneak before!!

Southsider
November 9th, 2014, 05:57 AM

I've been saying this all season. My fear is that some of the newcomers will seek playing time elsewhere when they realize Coen won't consider other options.

ngineer
November 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I've been saying this all season. My fear is that some of the newcomers will seek playing time elsewhere when they realize Coen won't consider other options.

I think the QB auditions will be wide open come April and August. Shafnisky has some very good skills, but he still making a lot of mistakes, and I think our OC is too enamored of his running ability with the 'designed" QB draws. Nick runs best when he improvises on a pass play. most of the time the QB draw is futile. Opposition knows it's coming. We will have some deep threats next year, and don't know if he as the arm to lead the WR's 30-40 yards down field.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I think the QB auditions will be wide open come April and August. Shafnisky has some very good skills, but he still making a lot of mistakes, and I think our OC is too enamored of his running ability with the 'designed" QB draws. Nick runs best when he improvises on a pass play. most of the time the QB draw is futile. Opposition knows it's coming. We will have some deep threats next year, and don't know if he as the arm to lead the WR's 30-40 yards down field.

Maybe Shaf can increase his arm strength some.

The WR group is not nearly as good as previous editions. Parrish is simply not good enough to be a #1 in primary passing offense. His biggest plays at LU will ultimately be passes. Your best WR, Pelletier, is a FR who needed to be brought up to speed to start the season. How many PI fouls have the Lehigh WR's created this year? I can't think of more than 2 or 3. They simply don't scare the opposing defenses like in years past. We knew WR could/would be a concern this year and that has proven to be absolutely true.

If you're Folmar coming in you know your strengths are the OL, a mobile QB and an in-coming transfer RB along with Sodeke. There's also no AA WR returning for the first time in 3 years. Emphasizing the run is not really the wrong thing to do imo. I simply think Folmar was in a tough spot. All the QB's were injured in the spring and those who were returning had minimal game experience. You also, in some ways, had to "protect" a poor defense.

The whole concept of "Air Lehigh" doesn't really exist imo. They ran a pro-style offense with Stambaugh. Go look back at the stats from 1998. Stambaugh wasn't slinging the ball all over the field. He did however have a deep threat in Braswell which was used to great effectiveness. In '99 the offense took shots down the field with a healthy Ricky Moore (remember Delaware?). However, he got hurt and the offense became more reliant on short passes with Fedorcha/Snyder and struggled later in the year. Jean, in general, outplayed Stambaugh in '99 from the RB position. His game against Bucknell was incredible. Jean was also the MVP in the 14-12 slugfest against morbid Lafayette.

Then Brant Hall came along and the offense transitioned more to a spread run and shoot to utilize his athleticism. They also had a great RB combo in Pleasant (power) and Burcher(speed). Maybe Folmar should utilize "the Western Illinois formation"? I still think it was ridiculous that people thought Cianello was a better QB than Hall. A healthy Hall was a RIDICULOUS FBS level QB. The shoulder injury against Fordham in '01 ruined his legacy in many ways. Hall was TCU's Boykin while Cianello was TCU's Andy Dalton. Either way, Josh Snyder, a possession WR, is what made the passing game go.

After that, Lembo cycled through Schwenk, #17 (started against Buffalo) and Keating. Bergen was the primary weapon from the TE spot along with Pugh's big play ability. Then Borda came along. Lembo started to use the "underneath" handoff with he and Rath during '04 and part of '05 along with a controlled passing games. Borda's 100+ yard rushing game against ranked Colgate was a major factor in that win. His most dangerous WR, Gerran Walker, big plays came from slip screens and other short passes, not deep balls. Walker was a slot receiver with wheels. Porter was probably the "true" deep threat but he would disappear at times. When Borda got hurt Lembo and Co. used basically the same offense WVU was using with White and Steve Slaton at that time. It worked perfectly until the Big Hurt ruined the party. Then Coen and Brown came in, tried to turn Threatt into a pocket passer and the whole thing fell apart.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Just another terrible collapse in the 4thQ. The team just can't finish games this year :(

LU-CU shaping up to be the battle for last place.

Thankfully, there's Georgetown to prevent that....xsmiley_wix

Southsider
November 9th, 2014, 04:20 PM

The WR group is not nearly as good as previous editions. Parrish is simply not good enough to be a #1 in primary passing offense. His biggest plays at LU will ultimately be passes. Your best WR, Pelletier, is a FR who needed to be brought up to speed to start the season. How many PI fouls have the Lehigh WR's created this year? I can't think of more than 2 or 3. They simply don't scare the opposing defenses like in years past. We knew WR could/would be a concern this year and that has proven to be absolutely true.

If you're Folmar coming in you know your strengths are the OL, a mobile QB and an in-coming transfer RB along with Sodeke. There's also no AA WR returning for the first time in 3 years. Emphasizing the run is not really the wrong thing to do imo. I simply think Folmar was in a tough spot. All the QB's were injured in the spring and those who were returning had minimal game experience. You also, in some ways, had to "protect" a poor defense.

The whole concept of "Air Lehigh" doesn't really exist imo. They ran a pro-style offense with Stambaugh. Go look back at the stats from 1998. Stambaugh wasn't slinging the ball all over the field. He did however have a deep threat in Braswell which was used to great effectiveness. In '99 the offense took shots down the field with a healthy Ricky Moore (remember Delaware?). However, he got hurt and the offense became more reliant on short passes with Fedorcha/Snyder and struggled later in the year. Jean, in general, outplayed Stambaugh in '99 from the RB position. His game against Bucknell was incredible. Jean was also the MVP in the 14-12 slugfest against morbid Lafayette.

Then Brant Hall came along and the offense transitioned more to a spread run and shoot to utilize his athleticism. They also had a great RB combo in Pleasant (power) and Burcher(speed). Maybe Folmar should utilize "the Western Illinois formation"? I still think it was ridiculous that people thought Cianello was a better QB than Hall. A healthy Hall was a RIDICULOUS FBS level QB. The shoulder injury against Fordham in '01 ruined his legacy in many ways. Hall was TCU's Boykin while Cianello was TCU's Andy Dalton. Either way, Josh Snyder, a possession WR, is what made the passing game go.

After that, Lembo cycled through Schwenk, #17 (started against Buffalo) and Keating. Bergen was the primary weapon from the TE spot along with Pugh's big play ability. Then Borda came along. Lembo started to use the "underneath" handoff with he and Rath during '04 and part of '05 along with a controlled passing games. Borda's 100+ yard rushing game against ranked Colgate was a major factor in that win. His most dangerous WR, Gerran Walker, big plays came from slip screens and other short passes, not deep balls. Walker was a slot receiver with wheels. Porter was probably the "true" deep threat but he would disappear at times. When Borda got hurt Lembo and Co. used basically the same offense WVU was using with White and Steve Slaton at that time. It worked perfectly until the Big Hurt ruined the party. Then Coen and Brown came in, tried to turn Threatt into a pocket passer and the whole thing fell apart.....

Owl, you've got way too much time on your hands..............xsalutexxsalutex

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Owl, you've got way too much time on your hands..............xsalutexxsalutex

Haha, truer words have never been spoken....xnodx

What led most of those Higgins and Lembo teams was defense. Look at the national ranks in rush and scoring D. Those '03 and '04 Lembo teams were physically tough along the line of scrimmage. The '03 opener against Fordham was a clinic. Pugh carried the ball about 40 times and the defense punished Eakin and Watson all game....

In '98, the offense was very inconsistent to start the year. Lehigh barely escaped Columbia (needed a last second FG) and St. Mary's. Heck, Lehigh beat Princeton in OT on a Stambaugh scramble....

ngineer
November 9th, 2014, 09:43 PM

Nice historical account. I agree that our offense got 'blown up' this year with all the injuries to the OL. Losing Short for the season at Yale was a killer. Note all the high snap issues we've had. My reference to 'Air Lehigh" is that I see a very strong receiving corps next year, along with some nice backs. With a healthy OL, we should be very good; however, the play calling in the first period at HC, to me, was unexplainable and made my head spin...including the announcer on ESPN, a former Lehigh player. So I'm not alone. Defense is finally looking more stable. Of course, we're playing less 'offensive' teams. With Colgate's problems, I think we can win that and Laughyette, though I expect both to be competitive games, i.e. no more than a ten point spread.

Franks Tanks
November 9th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Haha, truer words have never been spoken....xnodx

What led most of those Higgins and Lembo teams was defense. Look at the national ranks in rush and scoring D. Those '03 and '04 Lembo teams were physically tough along the line of scrimmage. The '03 opener against Fordham was a clinic. Pugh carried the ball about 40 times and the defense punished Eakin and Watson all game....

In '98, the offense was very inconsistent to start the year. Lehigh barely escaped Columbia (needed a last second FG) and St. Mary's. Heck, Lehigh beat Princeton in OT on a Stambaugh scramble....

In 2004 the Pards rushed for 279 yards in the game vs. 83 by Lehigh. Tell is again how tough those lines were.

Franks Tanks
November 9th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Nice historical account. I agree that our offense got 'blown up' this year with all the injuries to the OL. Losing Short for the season at Yale was a killer. Note all the high snap issues we've had. My reference to 'Air Lehigh" is that I see a very strong receiving corps next year, along with some nice backs. With a healthy OL, we should be very good; however, the play calling in the first period at HC, to me, was unexplainable and made my head spin...including the announcer on ESPN, a former Lehigh player. So I'm not alone. Defense is finally looking more stable. Of course, we're playing less 'offensive' teams. With Colgate's problems, I think we can win that and Laughyette, though I expect both to be competitive games, i.e. no more than a ten point spread.

The Squaks lose a game by less than 20 points and all of a sudden ngineer thinks they will run the table. You have a QB that can't throw, and a D that can't stop anyone, which is apparently the recipe for success.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2014, 09:55 PM
In 2004 the Pards rushed for 279 yards in the game vs. 83 by Lehigh. Tell is again how tough those lines were.

Those were really tough Lafayette teams. '04 and '05 were really good in the trenches. They stood up to Delaware and App State in the playoffs......

In general, 2004 Lehigh was damn tough team. They stood up physically for 4 quarters against JMU. They also held Jamaal Branch to less than 30 yards rushing. That was an insane accomplishment at the time. Tom Alferson, iirc, led the country in sacks. It was a 12 game season, not a one....

Franks Tanks
November 9th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Those were really tough Lafayette teams. '04 and '05 were really good in the trenches. They stood up to Delaware and App State in the playoffs......

In general, 2004 Lehigh was damn tough team. They stood up physically for 4 quarters against JMU. They also held Jamaal Branch to less than 30 yards rushing. That was an insane accomplishment at the time.....

Actually I agree, but somebody has to start some stuff since bogie is MIA. The guys from those teams could probably strap it up today and pound the fancy scholarship crème puffs I have to look at every week..

ngineer
November 9th, 2014, 10:49 PM
[/B]The Squaks lose a game by less than 20 points and all of a sudden ngineer thinks they will run the table. You have a QB that can't throw, and a D that can't stop anyone, which is apparently the recipe for success.

Huh? you can throw a blanket over HC, CU, LC and LU. All have 'issues'. I won't be surprised to win the last two, and I won't be surprised if we lose the last two. The only surprise will be if either game is a blow out. Shaf can throw, but anything 'deep' is risky. Also some deciision issues, but that comes with experience...D certainly has had its problems, but there has been improved results with lesser opponents.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2014, 09:40 AM
HC is better than LU, LC, CU, IMO, at this stage of the season.

Pards Rule
November 10th, 2014, 10:53 AM

In general, 2004 Lehigh was damn tough team. They stood up physically for 4 quarters against JMU. They also held Jamaal Branch to less than 30 yards rushing. That was an insane accomplishment at the time. Tom Alferson, iirc, led the country in sacks. It was a 12 game season, not a one....

The Owl speaks the truth here!