PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 10

superman7515
November 1st, 2014, 11:27 PM
Remember to please take an extra minute or two to double-check your ballots before hitting submit. You can really make a difference in easing things up a little on those who have to check every ballot line by line to make sure there aren't any duplicates or obvious mix-ups. Watch out for those Jacksonville/Jacksonville State, Montana/Montana State, North Dakota/North Dakota State, South Dakota/South Dakota State, and Furman/Valparaiso mix-ups. Okay, I can kinda understand that last one. The point being, if everyone takes two extra minutes to make sure they put teams where they want them and don't have any duplicates, then all of those minutes add up to hours saved by the guys pulling double-duty (for free) to pull this thing all together. I believe that things have improved quite a bit over the last few weeks, so kudos to all.

Off my soapbox now and back to your regularly scheduled program...

For the second straight week, three losses in the Top 10; at least this week all three were to ranked teams, but they were still to lower ranked teams, so shake-ups continue at the top. Only two more losses from #11 to #25, but 8 teams from #26 to #40 received an L this week, with Presbyterian likely being eliminated from the playoffs. Hopefully a little more clarity heading into the home stretch.

For the most part, all of the games are complete. Montana State at Cal Poly didn't finish that long ago, so no recap is available yet, but I've linked to the box score until such time as they write something up. Every other game already has a recap entered into the links, not just a box score, so that may be helpful to see some games.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdDdmeWthYWhPSXJoTVB6eDFwc2VsN lE&usp=sharing

For anyone who doesn't remember:
Green - Reached our magical seven D1 win threshold (There are several green this week, so there are two shades of green. The color doesn't mean anything, just an attempt to help you see a little easier from one line to the next)
Yellow - Must win out to reach seven D1 wins
Red - Can't reach seven D1 wins this season

Yes, I know it's not a hard and fast rule, but we've all seen that it does play a part. As always, if you see any errors, please let me know so that I can get that changed ASAP, and thank you for making "How They Fared" the number 1 tool on AGS for filling out your brackets each week.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 2nd, 2014, 06:02 AM
Great work as usual!!!

xthumbsupx

kdinva
November 2nd, 2014, 07:22 AM
thanks for maintaining this spreadsheet....

BisonBacker
November 2nd, 2014, 08:16 AM
Another Thanks and bump

tomq04
November 2nd, 2014, 08:23 AM
Sam Houston ready for a ranking again?

dgreco
November 2nd, 2014, 09:50 AM
Sam Houston ready for a ranking again?

I considered it, but decided Cal Poly, JMU and UNI all jump over/bump SHSU

LuckyKat
November 2nd, 2014, 10:04 AM

Trash...

citdog
November 2nd, 2014, 10:22 AM
Trash...

Cal Poly is deserving of a ranking this week. The Mustangs have defeated teams the last two weeks who are better than ANY, except lsu, who appear on the Bearkats schedule.

Bison56
November 2nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
Bump

BlueHenSinfonian
November 2nd, 2014, 04:21 PM

I'm not ready for UNI yet, but they have three big games coming up to earn a spot back. JMU has two left that they'll be favored, and one that they won't. They'll probably sneak in to the playoffs with two more wins. Cal Poly shot way up in my poll after I slept on them last week. Taking down Montana and Montana State in succession is a major accomplishment.

Another team worth looking at is Bucknell. They've been quietly building a great season this year, with their only loss to Bryant. They play Fordham next week, so that should be a great game, the Bison may surprise the Rams.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 2nd, 2014, 05:27 PM
I'm not ready for UNI yet, but they have three big games coming up to earn a spot back. JMU has two left that they'll be favored, and one that they won't. They'll probably sneak in to the playoffs with two more wins. Cal Poly shot way up in my poll after I slept on them last week. Taking down Montana and Montana State in succession is a major accomplishment.

Another team worth looking at is Bucknell. They've been quietly building a great season this year, with their only loss to Bryant. They play Fordham next week, so that should be a great game, the Bison may surprise the Rams.

Anybody that doesn't have Cal Poly in their top 25 at this point just flat out ain't doing a good job right now. That is an extremely solid team on both sides of the ball and good special teams.

They should be in probably the 15-20 area at least in people's polls at this point.

penguinpower
November 2nd, 2014, 07:11 PM
I agree that Cal Poly should be considered in the top 25 however they should be considered after all Missouri Valley teams have been considered

ursus arctos horribilis
November 2nd, 2014, 07:36 PM
I agree that Cal Poly should be considered in the top 25 however they should be considered after all Missouri Valley teams have been considered

No. You are welcome to think you are all that if you want to but the rest of us watch you and know what we are looking at.

Cal Poly would roll through the bottom 1/2 of the MVFC and would have an equal chance with any MVFC team. The are as good as any of the 2nd tier teams under NDSU. There are a few of you but just playing in the same league with NDSU doesn't make you NDSU.

taper
November 2nd, 2014, 07:57 PM
No. You are welcome to think you are all that if you want to but the rest of us watch you and know what we are looking at.

Cal Poly would roll through the bottom 1/2 of the MVFC and would have an equal chance with any MVFC team. The are as good as any of the 2nd tier teams under NDSU. There are a few of you but just playing in the same league with NDSU doesn't make you NDSU.

Week 2
South Dakota St 44
Cal Poly 18

SDSU is 6th in the MVFC.
Poly is 2nd in the Big Sky.

Granted, it was early in the season and Poly had a slow start, but saying they could win against the top Valley teams is a stretch.

Walkon79
November 2nd, 2014, 08:24 PM
Week 2
South Dakota St 44
Cal Poly 18

SDSU is 6th in the MVFC.

Granted, it was early in the season and Poly had a slow start, but saying they could win against the top Valley teams is a stretch.

Glad you added the "early in the season" qualifier. Teams evolve and Cal Poly is playing as well as anybody in the country right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

robsnotes4u
November 2nd, 2014, 09:06 PM
Glad you added the "early in the season" qualifier. Teams evolve and Cal Poly is playing as well as anybody in the country right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

xthumbsupx

robsnotes4u
November 2nd, 2014, 09:08 PM

Agree. They have matured after losing what they did at the beginning. Strong on both Sides of the Ball.

Southern Bison
November 2nd, 2014, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry guys, but this is 2 Montana teams trying to lift up someone that beat them. All y'all needed to do was beat them.

Yes, CP is playing sound football right now, but they haven't been all season. We'll have to wait and see over the next 3 weeks to see if they're peaking right now or if the ascent continues. If it continues, then the Griz & Cat fans can keep strolling down that path. If CP falls down from the mountain top over the final 3 games, then they flashed in the proverbial pan like YSU in '13 and so many other schools over the years.

McNeese72
November 2nd, 2014, 09:16 PM
The McNeese team that played the first half of the Northwestern St. game is a top ten team. The McNeese team that played the second half of the Northwestern St. game shouldn't even be in the top 25.

I can't figure this team out. xdontknowx

Doc

lionsrking2
November 2nd, 2014, 09:25 PM
The McNeese team that played the first half of the Northwestern St. game is a top ten team. The McNeese team that played the second half of the Northwestern St. game shouldn't even be in the top 25.

I can't figure this team out. xdontknowx

Doc

Join the club!xeyebrowx

ursus arctos horribilis
November 2nd, 2014, 11:09 PM
Week 2
South Dakota St 44
Cal Poly 18

SDSU is 6th in the MVFC.

Sorry, you are incorrect. I saw the top team and then a team near the bottom play the Griz. I don't care what they did early I'm telling you that right now they would give NDSU a game and NDSU would pull away in the end and win by a couple of scores. Any other team in the MVFC would not fare better than splitting with the Cal Poly team playing the last few weeks.

I don't really care if you like it but that's how it is. They are as good now as any team in the MVFC not named NDSU.

FargoBison
November 2nd, 2014, 11:14 PM
CP is the best team in the Big Sky right now.

I would put them on a level with the teams below NDSU in the MVFC.

MTfan4life
November 3rd, 2014, 12:55 AM
Week 2
South Dakota St 44
Cal Poly 18

Illinois State 45
South Dakota State 10

Northern Iowa 42
Illinois State 28

Granted, it was early in the season and South Dakota State turned the ball over a bunch, but saying they could beat Northern Iowa is a total stretch.

penguinpower
November 3rd, 2014, 05:35 AM
Sorry, you are incorrect. I saw the top team and then a team near the bottom play the Griz. I don't care what they did early I'm telling you that right now they would give NDSU a game and NDSU would pull away in the end and win by a couple of scores. Any other team in the MVFC would not fare better than splitting with the Cal Poly team playing the last few weeks.

I don't really care if you like it but that's how it is. They are as good now as any team in the MVFC not named NDSU.

What is your basis? Montana squeaked by a (winless in the Valley) South Dakota team by 7 points. The valley is 23-1 in out of conference play. The Big Sky teams have done nothing to boost their resumes. Just because a bad team beat 2 mediocre teams doesn't mean they deserve a ranking. The same goes for the Patriot league and NEC teams that have 8 wins. The 8 wins are against who? Granted the Big Sky is not even close to those conferences. But I argue that some of these teams that have 7-8 wins are not deserving of their high ranking and this is the reason we got to see the worst selection the FCS has ever seen last year. Sam Houston State, Butler and a few others come to mind.

And the fact is that Cal Poly was smashed by a middle of the pack Missouri Valley team. I know you will stick up for your Big Soft Sky like an SEC fan but those games have been played and the Big Sky already lost to the Valley teams 5-6-7 weekends ago.

You can watch me all you want. I don't vote in the poll any longer because I have become biased after watching teams with 7-8 wins left out of the playoffs last year in favor of undeserving teams.

Unfortunately the fact is that people bring politics to the table and those politics get used in every ranking system. and the same politics get factored into the selection committee because this is no way to know who will beat who except to play. At the end of the season you will see the bull**** again. Maybe the take 4 a out of the NEC or Patiother leagues. You can spin it how you want the fact in this case is there is some evidence that they don't belong.

windwalker
November 3rd, 2014, 05:42 AM
Why is this thread NOT about the top 25, but only 2 or 3 teams????

superman7515
November 3rd, 2014, 06:49 AM

The beautiful thing about it is, every week, the thread is what you make of it. No offense, I don't see you offering up anything to sway the voters either, haha. I would love for more people to come on the thread each week and tell me why Team X deserves to be in the Top 10, Top 20, out of my poll, etc. But it's usually easier to curse the darkness (complain after the poll is released) than to light a candle (make your case on here beforehand so people can be engaged).

BisonFan02
November 3rd, 2014, 09:02 AM
The beautiful thing about it is, every week, the thread is what you make of it. No offense, I don't see you offering up anything to sway the voters either, haha. I would love for more people to come on the thread each week and tell me why Team X deserves to be in the Top 10, Top 20, out of my poll, etc. But it's usually easier to curse the darkness (complain after the poll is released) than to light a candle (make your case on here beforehand so people can be engaged).

This. I really wish more fanbases would contribute info about their teams. That is the entire reason I joined AGS back in the day (and, for the most part, stay away from fansites). The only two reasons I see why it doesn't happen is either small fanbases....or they are chased away by a few posters after trying to contribute. I have a feeling the second reason occurs WAY too often, and that is unfortunate.

JMUNJ08
November 3rd, 2014, 09:19 AM
What is your basis? Montana squeaked by a (winless in the Valley) South Dakota team by 7 points. The valley is 23-1 in out of conference play. The Big Sky teams have done nothing to boost their resumes. Just because a bad team beat 2 mediocre teams doesn't mean they deserve a ranking. The same goes for the Patriot league and NEC teams that have 8 wins. The 8 wins are against who? Granted the Big Sky is not even close to those conferences. But I argue that some of these teams that have 7-8 wins are not deserving of their high ranking and this is the reason we got to see the worst selection the FCS has ever seen last year. Sam Houston State, Butler and a few others come to mind.

And the fact is that Cal Poly was smashed by a middle of the pack Missouri Valley team. I know you will stick up for your Big Soft Sky like an SEC fan but those games have been played and the Big Sky already lost to the Valley teams 5-6-7 weekends ago.

You can watch me all you want. I don't vote in the poll any longer because I have become biased after watching teams with 7-8 wins left out of the playoffs last year in favor of undeserving teams.

Unfortunately the fact is that people bring politics to the table and those politics get used in every ranking system. and the same politics get factored into the selection committee because this is no way to know who will beat who except to play. At the end of the season you will see the bull**** again. Maybe the take 4 a out of the NEC or Patiother leagues. You can spin it how you want the fact in this case is there is some evidence that they don't belong.

I'm glad we figured out the reason you are so against Cal Poly... its for losing all your big games down the stretch and not making the dance!!!!

Seriously, ECB aside, I have been rather impressed with Cal Poly's wins since the polls have held both Montana teams in high regard. If that was a MVFC team doing the same, they would make a big jump in my polls too (UNI has that chance this upcoming week after big win #1 last week)

JMU is also a team now starting to come around after a DRAMATIC change in the offseason not in just coaching staffs but style of play. Anyone who has seen our offense in the past would be crazy surprised to see us gunslinging the ball around the field. Our QB could set the passing TD record next week just tells you what we have done as a program and surely has taken some time to get the players/ fans/ etc. behind it and see that we are gunning for a playoff spot this year. Stony Brook will be a rather big test as we would be on the road in the cold against a great defense. If we can get by them (hopefully not a squeaker) than I think we got a good shot at making it.

BisonBacker
November 3rd, 2014, 09:24 AM

I disagree completely. Not saying poly isn't deserving of a ranking in the top 25 as they surely do and I have them in mine. They will have the rest of the season to play out and maintain. Let's see if they can. If they do they will surely be moving up in my poll further but saying and doing are two entirely different things. I have to go check to see who they have left on their schedule. These last few weeks are going to be fun to watch overall. Nova losing this weekend was a surprise and also to see Youngstown State struggle early with USD was a surprise but they did come back and win like they were supposed to. Fun football time of the year.

BisonBacker
November 3rd, 2014, 09:27 AM
This. I really wish more fanbases would contribute info about their teams. That is the entire reason I joined AGS back in the day (and, for the most part, stay away from fansites). The only two reasons I see why it doesn't happen is either small fanbases....or they are chased away by a few posters after trying to contribute. I have a feeling the second reason occurs WAY too often, and that is unfortunate.

I agree. I also think some folks need to get a thicker skin. If you offer up reasons why team X is higher in your poll or just your opinion if you don't participate in the poll that's fine either way. But if someone comes on and challenges you expect for some banter back and forth. Just have to be willing to give it back when you get it from some. Either way it's just fun to visit about it.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
UNI just did something no one else had done yet this year. I think they deserve a ranking. It should probably be in the 20-25 range still as 1 quality win does not make a season, but there is something to say about beating an undefeated team. ISUr had been behind before, but came back to win. They came back against us, but we answered unlike we probably would have done earlier in the season. We have a history of losing those close games. I think we have turned a corner. Not sure we can beat NDSU, but we are playing better and are one of the 25 best teams in the country no doubt.

veinup
November 3rd, 2014, 09:33 AM

because MVFC.

KPSUL
November 3rd, 2014, 10:11 AM
JMU is also a team now starting to come around after a DRAMATIC change in the offseason not in just coaching staffs but style of play. Anyone who has seen our offense in the past would be crazy surprised to see us gunslinging the ball around the field. Our QB could set the passing TD record next week just tells you what we have done as a program and surely has taken some time to get the players/ fans/ etc. behind it and see that we are gunning for a playoff spot this year. Stony Brook will be a rather big test as we would be on the road in the cold against a great defense. If we can get by them (hopefully not a squeaker) than I think we got a good shot at making it.

Strangely, it seems like all the passing JMU is successfully doing is in spite of Coach Withers, not because of him. I watch his press conferences and he frquently talks about how running the ball is what JMU is all about. Instead of being pleased by Vad Lee's performance he acts more disappointed than anything. Stony Brook is going to be a tough matchup for JMU on the road, and they've got Richmond on the road a week later. I'm no Bracketologist, but I'm not sure they can afford to lose either game.

superman7515
November 3rd, 2014, 10:12 AM
Losing to Stony Brook would be much more damaging. Richmond is going to be a top 10 team this week after the victory over Villanova, so they'll be a clear favorite. The Stony Brook/James Madison game is a playoff elimination game.

kalm
November 3rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
Losing to Stony Brook would be much more damaging. Richmond is going to be a top 10 team this week after the victory over Villanova, so they'll be a clear favorite. The Stony Brook/James Madison game is a playoff elimination game.

How can Stony Brook possibly be alive for a A.L.?

clenz
November 3rd, 2014, 10:35 AM
UNI just did something no one else had done yet this year. I think they deserve a ranking. It should probably be in the 20-25 range still as 1 quality win does not make a season, but there is something to say about beating an undefeated team. ISUr had been behind before, but came back to win. They came back against us, but we answered unlike we probably would have done earlier in the season. We have a history of losing those close games. I think we have turned a corner. Not sure we can beat NDSU, but we are playing better and are one of the 25 best teams in the country no doubt.
Illinois State was propped up by a very weak schedule and a couple crazy come backs (yes, I know I've said good teams find ways to win close games and ISUr did that). I had them in the top 10 last week but they saw a BIG drop in my poll this week. I don't trust them going forward. I know UNI has a GREAT defense but that offense (other than 2 Coprich runs) looked pretty bad. Coprich had 104 of his yards on 2 of his 27 carries. That means the rest of the game he had 62 yards on 25 carries (2.48 ypc).

Their passing game was 15-36, which is Brion Carnes bad.

UNI has a top 3 defense and a 40-50 offense. How you want to average that out is up to you

superman7515
November 3rd, 2014, 10:59 AM
How can Stony Brook possibly be alive for a A.L.?

I personally don't think they are, but a loss would prevent them from getting to 7 D1 wins and eliminates any cosmic scenario where the committee backs SBU into the playoffs.

RabidRabbit
November 3rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
Granted, it was early in the season and Poly had a slow start, but saying they could win against the top Valley teams is a stretch.Illinois State 45
South Dakota State 10

Northern Iowa 42
Illinois State 28

Granted, it was early in the season and South Dakota State turned the ball over a bunch, but saying they could beat Northern Iowa is a total stretch.

Note 10/18/14 UNI 28, SDSU 31! xdrunkyx

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2014, 11:19 AM
Granted, it was early in the season and Poly had a slow start, but saying they could win against the top Valley teams is a stretch.Illinois State 45
South Dakota State 10

Northern Iowa 42
Illinois State 28

Note 10/18/14 UNI 28, SDSU 31! xdrunkyx

Pretty sure there was a lot of sarcasm in that post...

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
Hey, I'm having connection problems and so forth and the poll might be out a bit late. Hopefully by the top of the hour but if you guys could spread the word if it's necessary I'd appreciate the help.

Basically working with 1/2 resources right now and way behind.

JMUNJ08
November 3rd, 2014, 01:28 PM
Strangely, it seems like all the passing JMU is successfully doing is in spite of Coach Withers, not because of him. I watch his press conferences and he frquently talks about how running the ball is what JMU is all about. Instead of being pleased by Vad Lee's performance he acts more disappointed than anything. Stony Brook is going to be a tough matchup for JMU on the road, and they've got Richmond on the road a week later. I'm no Bracketologist, but I'm not sure they can afford to lose either game.

Good points. Our problem is not getting out of the gate strongly and having to come back through the air. This weekend's matchup is rather tough and a must win (unless we find a way to get past UR...). We still want to run heavy but need to get the game to be more in our favor/ not get away from us...

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 01:51 PM

this is really a bunch of blithering, unconnected crap. You are talking about an autobid at one point, then reasoning that because something completely unconnected to the AGS Poll makes you stop voting?

xlolx

Good lord dude. Get a grip on yourself and your bias because it's an ugly thing to watch and probably for you to live with. Last year you thought the MVFC was just miraculous even though the OVC schooled you OOC so you trying to talk about your OOC this year is pretty silly considering SOME of the teams that went into that record.

Right now, UNI, NDSU, and maybe Ill. State would be the only teams I'd shy away from putting money on CP against.

You ain't as good as you all think every team is. I hope you make the playoff cuz I'll be calling on you for that first CP matchup with your beloved MVFC teams...excepting NDSU.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2014, 01:57 PM

supe nailed ya down on this one. It was this way because only people interested enough to discuss and promote the teams they saw as being under served were involved.

If you add something compelling going forward I'll be happy to jump in on it. This post you made does not qualify as that btw.