PDA

View Full Version : Media now picking San Diego Toreros?!

Guard Dawg
November 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Way to go USD fans, you now have brianwashed the media into picking USD to make the playoffs.

http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=740
Who from the I-AA West will be in the postseason?

From the two automatic bid leagues, I feel the Big Sky representative will be Montana State and the Southland representative will be Sam Houston State.

The Great West Football Conference does not have an automatic bid and my predicted winner of NDSU is playoff ineligible since they are still in their reclassification period from Division II. SDSU is also playoff ineligible and Cal Poly with my predicted results will have four losses and just six DI wins and be taken out of consideration.

The I-AA West has had a history of four playoff spots but getting that many spots this year will be difficult. Right now, I see just the two automatic qualifiers coming from the West, along with Montana. This likely would mean that current undefeated San Diego from the Pioneer League would gain a spot in the playoffs as well to get a fourth team from the West into the playoffs.

Unless we see a number of teams with four losses, I just can’t see any other I-AA West teams making the playoffs. I also don’t see a four-loss team getting in the playoffs over an undefeated San Diego team.

So there you have my I-AA West playoff picks—Montana, Montana State, Sam Houston State, and San Diego as the West’s playoff teams. With my predictions, I don’t think any West team will get a Top 4 seed; however, Montana would undoubtedly get a home game in the opening round.

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM
This is super news for San Diego! What is even better is if NDSU beats Cal Poly this weekend and then Montana beats the bobcats. This will just about make it automatic... as automatic as an at-large bid can be :)

He thinks we get in even if MSU beats Montana! Wow, i wasn't thinking that... if MSU did win, I wonder where we would get sent for the playoffs. Would we still get Montana, or would UMASS or ASU be more of a probability? Looks like if we win Saturday and Montana wins two in a row, we head to Missoula.

Time to book a flight, what is the best airline in and out of Missoula?

UMass922
November 9th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Good thing the playoff field is constructed by the selection committee and not by the media.

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 09:59 PM
You now have the media calling for the Toreros to be in the playoffs... (several outlets), you have the Toreros making the playoffs based on the polls and GPI, you also have the Toreros being undefeated, you also have the Toreros putting up sensational numbers, near the tops of I-AA in most categories, you have the Toreros putting it on a top 25 team in Yale, you have the Toreros playing the schedule they were stuck with from the beginning of the year and just dominating, you have the Toreros with profile players and coaching staff, you have the Toreros sporting a Payton Award Candidate QB, you have yourselves a selection... TOREROS!
Congrats on the playoffs.... (just beat Dayton!)

GOKATS
November 9th, 2006, 10:02 PM
This is super news for San Diego! What is even better is if NDSU beats Cal Poly this weekend and then Montana beats the bobcats. This will just about make it automatic... as automatic as an at-large bid can be :)

He thinks we get in even if MSU beats Montana! Wow, i wasn't thinking that... if MSU did win, I wonder where we would get sent for the playoffs. Would we still get Montana, or would UMASS or ASU be more of a probability? Looks like if we win Saturday and Montana wins two in a row, we head to Missoula.

Time to book a flight, what is the best airline in and out of Missoula?

I'm really hoping for the 'Cats win over the griz and a first round home game for the 'Cats. If so, I really hope they send USD to Bozeman rather than Missoula, because we'll gladly take the 'guppy' win.:D

ps:

And the airline connections are much better into Bozeman than Missoula.

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
You now have the media calling for the Toreros to be in the playoffs... (several outlets), you have the Toreros making the playoffs based on the polls and GPI, you also have the Toreros being undefeated, you also have the Toreros putting up sensational numbers, near the tops of I-AA in most categories, you have the Toreros putting it on a top 25 team in Yale, you have the Toreros playing the schedule they were stuck with from the beginning of the year and just dominating, you have the Toreros with profile players and coaching staff, you have the Toreros sporting a Payton Award Candidate QB, you have yourselves a selection... TOREROS!

Well let's take care of Dayton before we talk playoffs.....xlolx

Jim Mora: "Playoffs, don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin' me....playoffs?!" Link to the audio of this quote: http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/jim_mora_playoffs.mp3

Maverick
November 9th, 2006, 10:07 PM
You have everything but a strength of schedule which is the one thing that cannot be overcome with the committee able to see beyond all that you mention. I-AA Waves on Wednesday had that made clear by committee members. That one irrefutable fact has never changed this entire year and without strength of schedule you will be playing UCD and the Gridiron Classic. All else is self-delusion.

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM
You have everything but a strength of schedule which is the one thing that cannot be overcome with the committee able to see beyond all that you mention. I-AA Waves on Wednesday had that made clear by committee members. That one irrefutable fact has never changed this entire year and without strength of schedule you will be playing UCD and the Gridiron Classic. All else is self-delusion.

I am not holding my breath but how can you possibly say "self-delusion"? USD is high in the polls, and mentioned in the media as having a chance. You may not agree with the polls or some of the media, but to say "delusion" is plain wrong. Apparently USD has more of a chance than you might think...and its not just the USD dfans who think so...:read:

GOTOREROS

Maverick
November 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Self-delusion in terms of thinking that the committee will ignore the USD strength of schedule that is only ahead of 10 other teams in I-AA according to Sagarin. When selection committee members on the I-AA Waves program emphasize the importance of the strength of schedule in the selection process and still they keep on about polls, rankings, statistical rankings, and now the fact that even the media is talking about the "chance". All of that results from self-delusion and little experience with the playoffs and how teams are selected for the at-large spots in the bracket.

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Self-delusion in terms of thinking that the committee will ignore the USD strength of schedule that is only ahead of 10 other teams in I-AA according to Sagarin. When selection committee members on the I-AA Waves program emphasize the importance of the strength of schedule in the selection process and still they keep on about polls, rankings, statistical rankings, and now the fact that even the media is talking about the "chance". All of that results from self-delusion and little experience with the playoffs and how teams are selected for the at-large spots in the bracket.

I think the wild card is the "Regional Rankings" and that is what people are thinking when it comes to USD's chances. It may very well not happen for USD, but if it ever is this is the year.....:twocents:

GGASU
November 9th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Good thing the playoff field is constructed by the selection committee and not by the media.

It is a good thing that San Diego is in the West and not a first round opponent for UMASS, otherwise it would be one and done for the Minutemen.

Mr. C
November 9th, 2006, 11:12 PM
One clarification on what was in Kent Schmidt's column: There is nothing that says that the committee will, or must take four teams from the west. In fact, if the best eight at-large squads are not from a particular region, it will make no difference to the committee to find one from another region. And to repeat what others are saying in this thread, the word I am hearing from the conferences and the committee members is that strength of schedule will be the most important factor in selecting at-large teams. That news has to send shivers through the bones of San Diego and Charleston Southern, while giving hope to teams like Portland State, Montana State and Eastern Illinois, who could all be in the four-loss pool.

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 11:38 PM
If Cal Poly loses this weekend and if the Griz win the next two, it will be a complete shame if USD doesn't make it in. There is only two autobids out west, Big Sky and Southland currently... USD would get in because it would be better to take them than a 7-4 team, plus it would be super hard to determine which 7-4 team should get in.

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 11:39 PM
If you listened to I-AA waves, yes... they talked about Strength of Schedule... but they also said USD had a chance.

Tod
November 9th, 2006, 11:49 PM
“Battle of the Brawl”?

:o :o :o :o :o

Torero Tradition
November 9th, 2006, 11:53 PM
USD fans are huge fans of the Griz and NDSU the next couple weeks!

Mr. C
November 9th, 2006, 11:55 PM
If Cal Poly loses this weekend and if the Griz win the next two, it will be a complete shame if USD doesn't make it in. There is only two autobids out west, Big Sky and Southland currently... USD would get in because it would be better to take them than a 7-4 team, plus it would be super hard to determine which 7-4 team should get in.
You obviously either ignored, or misread my post. How many bids come out of a region has NO bearing on who will be selected. If the best eight at-large teams are from the east, then they would select eight teams from the east. And believe me when I say that 7-4 teams WILL be strongly considered this year. I am even more convinced in the past couple of days that San Diego's chances of getting into the field are astronomical.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Astronomically Positive for getting in the playoffs? :) well, at least you wear your east coast bias on your sleeve... and when you do interviews.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Astronomically Positive for getting in the playoffs? :) well, at least you wear your east coast bias on your sleeve... and when you do interviews.
East Coast bias? I have never lived in the east and am California born and bred. I do now live in the south, but I'm still a California boy through and through.

I'm not smacking your school, BTW. I think your team is better than people think (I've had them ranked around 20 for weeks). I'm just telling you what people in high places are saying. There is almost NO chance that San Diego will get in.

GOTOREROS
November 10th, 2006, 12:52 AM
East Coast bias? I have never lived in the east and am California born and bred. I do now live in the south, but I'm still a California boy through and through.

I'm not smacking your school, BTW. I think your team is better than people think (I've had them ranked around 20 for weeks). I'm just telling you what people in high places are saying. There is almost NO chance that San Diego will get in.

My favorite quote on this subject, which I have used several times:

Lloyd: What are the chances of a girl like you and a guy like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance.

xlolx

GOTOREROS

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 12:59 AM
you have the right idea

th0m
November 10th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I think the wild card is the "Regional Rankings" and that is what people are thinking when it comes to USD's chances. It may very well not happen for USD, but if it ever is this is the year.....:twocents:

Please give me a source that talks about these elusive regional rankings :eyebrow: And by source I mean from the NCAA, not the "media".

JohnStOnge
November 10th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Well...I hope he's wrong because he's got Sam Houston State instead of McNeese State as the automatic qualifier from the Southland. Probably not a bad pick because McNeese has to get by what's been an underachieving Northwestern State team on the road tomorrow night...but the Cowboys do have control of their own destiny. Win their last two games against the Demons then at home against Nicholls State and they're in.

Fordham
November 10th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Apologies if this has been posted before but I've pretty much avoided these USD threads ... not out of animosity but the sheer volume made it tough to want to wade through. Thus, I'm not sure if this has been posted before but figured I'd throw it out there as I saw it on a sportingnews.com blog (not that this makes it true).

Nonetheless:

Harbaugh's Ready To Move On From Sandy Yego <sic>" (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=146940)
Harbaugh's ready to move on from San Diego
November 9, 2006

I talked to a source who's very close to San Diego coach Jim Harbaugh, and here's what I heard. Harbaugh has not been contacted by Iowa State or Michigan State about their openings. But his name is being tossed around anyway, and for good reason.

My source told me that Harbaugh is interested in exploring other opportunities. And his job with San Diego doesn't prevent him from doing so. There's some talk that Harbaugh would be unwilling to leave San Diego because he's divorced and wouldn't want to leave his children. But that's a personal matter he could resolve. Harbaugh is very eager to move on to bigger and better things after doing a great job at San Diego, where he's in his third year on the job.

Harbaugh is the total package. He's 42, a 15-year NFL quarterback who played at Michigan. He's the son of a successful college coach and has proven he's more than capable of being a good coach during his tenure in San Diego, going 11-1 last year and 9-0 entering this weekend's game. Harbaugh would have a lot to sell on the recruiting trail, in addition to his developing coaching acumen. Let's just say he's an ultra hot commodity.

Destination: Iowa State

I just heard from a source that Iowa State's top choices are Denver Brocnos assistant Tim Brewster; LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, Harbaugh and Texas defensive coordinator Gene Chizik. I'm also told that Pelini doens't want the job. So, it looks like the ISU gig could come down to Brewster and Harbaugh. I hear Iowa State A.D. Jamie Pollard will be talking to Brewster and Harbaugh soon.

Stay tuned for updates on these other coaching rumblings.

HensRock
November 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM
My favorite quote on this subject, which I have used several times:

Lloyd: What are the chances of a girl like you and a guy like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance.

xlolx

GOTOREROS

Excellent analogy! :hurray:

IaaScribe
November 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Portland State would have a huge gripe if it gets to 7-4 and loses out on a playoff spot to San Diego. The committee would be sending a horrible message out. Portland State went out and played a first-class schedule -- W at New Mexico, L at Oregon, L at California -- along with the rigorous Big Sky slate and ended up winning seven games. So you're going to reward USD for going unbeaten against a creampuff slate? Horrible.

If San Diego makes the playoffs, the I-AA playoffs are as much of a scam as the BCS.

MrTitleist
November 10th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I'm really hoping for the 'Cats win over the griz and a first round home game for the 'Cats. If so, I really hope they send USD to Bozeman rather than Missoula, because we'll gladly take the 'guppy' win.:D

ps:

I wouldn't say that they're much better (having researched other outlets in MT).. same price as flying into Missoula. But if you were going to fly into Missoula, you'd be better off coming into Spokane and driving.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't say that they're much better (having researched other outlets in MT).. same price as flying into Missoula. But if you were going to fly into Missoula, you'd be better off coming into Spokane and driving.

I'd rather just fly into Missoula... remember $$ is not an issue with USD folk xlolx

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the message Mr. C. I think it will be a huge let down for many people if USD doesn't make it in. Many of the players believe they are in without question if they win on Saturday... Maybe the coach is feeding them this :cool:

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Portland State would have a huge gripe if it gets to 7-4 and loses out on a playoff spot to San Diego. The committee would be sending a horrible message out. Portland State went out and played a first-class schedule -- W at New Mexico, L at Oregon, L at California -- along with the rigorous Big Sky slate and ended up winning seven games. So you're going to reward USD for going unbeaten against a creampuff slate? Horrible.

If San Diego makes the playoffs, the I-AA playoffs are as much of a scam as the BCS.

Portland State had a chance to take care of business and they couldn't. Would it be USD's fault that they went out and schedule 3 I-A games? I mean cmon, you were swept by the Montana schools, win one of those and you are in. USD did the only thing they could do... and that was go undefeated. You can talk about strength of schedule, but also in previous history teams with 4 losses don't get in. If PSU got in over MSU that woul be a complete joke. MSU beat PSU straight up. There are going to be too many 7-4 teams. That is why USD gets in.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Apologies if this has been posted before but I've pretty much avoided these USD threads ... not out of animosity but the sheer volume made it tough to want to wade through. Thus, I'm not sure if this has been posted before but figured I'd throw it out there as I saw it on a sportingnews.com blog (not that this makes it true).

Nonetheless:

Harbaugh's Ready To Move On From Sandy Yego <sic>" (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=146940)
Harbaugh's ready to move on from San Diego
November 9, 2006

I talked to a source who's very close to San Diego coach Jim Harbaugh, and here's what I heard. Harbaugh has not been contacted by Iowa State or Michigan State about their openings. But his name is being tossed around anyway, and for good reason.

My source told me that Harbaugh is interested in exploring other opportunities. And his job with San Diego doesn't prevent him from doing so. There's some talk that Harbaugh would be unwilling to leave San Diego because he's divorced and wouldn't want to leave his children. But that's a personal matter he could resolve. Harbaugh is very eager to move on to bigger and better things after doing a great job at San Diego, where he's in his third year on the job.

Harbaugh is the total package. He's 42, a 15-year NFL quarterback who played at Michigan. He's the son of a successful college coach and has proven he's more than capable of being a good coach during his tenure in San Diego, going 11-1 last year and 9-0 entering this weekend's game. Harbaugh would have a lot to sell on the recruiting trail, in addition to his developing coaching acumen. Let's just say he's an ultra hot commodity.

Destination: Iowa State

I just heard from a source that Iowa State's top choices are Denver Brocnos assistant Tim Brewster; LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, Harbaugh and Texas defensive coordinator Gene Chizik. I'm also told that Pelini doens't want the job. So, it looks like the ISU gig could come down to Brewster and Harbaugh. I hear Iowa State A.D. Jamie Pollard will be talking to Brewster and Harbaugh soon.

Stay tuned for updates on these other coaching rumblings.

For those that are in the Harbaugh inner-circle, it is common knowledge he wants to coach at a higher level and wants to leave USD. He tried pretty hard last year. A couple of factors... family problems and the DUI led him to stay with the Toreros another year.

cosmo here
November 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Portland State had a chance to take care of business and they couldn't. Would it be USD's fault that they went out and schedule 3 I-A games? I mean cmon, you were swept by the Montana schools, win one of those and you are in. USD did the only thing they could do... and that was go undefeated. You can talk about strength of schedule, but also in previous history teams with 4 losses don't get in. If PSU got in over MSU that woul be a complete joke. MSU beat PSU straight up. There are going to be too many 7-4 teams. That is why USD gets in.

You don't get it. Portland State made its schedule, and San Diego made its schedule. Portland State played three I-A schools, San Diego played two non-Division I schools. Portland State beat a I-A team and played in the Big Sky. San Diego beat Yale and played in the PFL.

so the committee is going to say "it's too hard to choose the best 7-4 team, who wants San Diego?" and they all raise their hands and say "ok, lets take them, we give up, who wants lunch?" :rolleyes:

Eaglegus2
November 10th, 2006, 10:43 AM

It is easy to get the media to support you when you hold a gun to their head. The gun being Harbough wanting out of San Diego.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 10:49 AM
you can overschedule just like you can underschedule

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 10:54 AM
It is easy to get the media to support you when you hold a gun to their head. The gun being Harbough wanting out of San Diego.

:eek:

GOTOREROS
November 10th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Please give me a source that talks about these elusive regional rankings :eyebrow: And by source I mean from the NCAA, not the "media".

Well if you listened to I-AA Waves this past Tuesday you would have heard the committee chair speak about how each week the other committee members call in and discuss their regionals rankings. They each report to the chair on those teams they deem in consideration. Go ahead and listen to the archive...

Also, ask Mr. C. if you don't beleive me......

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM
7-4 teams have gotten into the playoffs with at-large bids in the past. Idaho in 1995 and Appalachian State in 1992 are two examples. No PFL or non-scholly ever has. Strength of schedule and 7-4 is going to trump 8-0 vs a weak schedule. The committee is already letting you know this.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Well if you listened to I-AA Waves this past Tuesday you would have heard the committee chair speak about how each week the other committee members call in and discuss their regionals rankings. They each report to the chair on those teams they deem in consideration. Go ahead and listen to the archive...

Also, ask Mr. C. if you don't beleive me......
The use of regional rankings by the committee has been well documented by committee members in past years. You just need to read some of the archives from I-AA.org to find plenty of articles on this subject, usually stuff published in columns from this time of year. The "elusive" regional rankings are private, between committeee members, and are not revealed to the media, or other outsiders, though committee members have described the process of how they make them in the past.

UMass922
November 10th, 2006, 12:28 PM
It is a good thing that San Diego is in the West and not a first round opponent for UMASS, otherwise it would be one and done for the Minutemen.

You might be right; it very well could be. San Diego might be the best team in I-AA for all I know, or if not the best, at least better than UMass. My only point is that San Diego has not put together a playoff-worthy resume. Teams must be selected for the playoffs based on evidence, not speculation, that they are one of the best teams.

If San Diego does get selected for the playoffs, there's nothing I can do about it, and at that point it will be exciting to see how the Toreros do. I wouldn't even necessarily be surprised if they beat a top team. Heck, as long as they're not playing UMass, I'd probably root for them, since I like to root for underdogs and "mid-majors" (I always root for schools like Gonzaga in the NCAA basketball tournament).

The fact that I don't think they deserve a playoff bid doesn't mean I think they're a patsy, a creampuff, a paper tiger, etc.; it doesn't mean I'd underestimate them. All it means is that I think there are almost certainly going to be enough teams with better resumes than San Diego to fill out the at-large pool.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM
How can they not have put up a playoff resume...

THEY ARE UNDEFEATED

I repeat, they committee doesn't sit there at the start of the year and determine what schedule is worthy and then decide which teams are playoff eligible.

USD is non-scholarship, and they play in a non-scholarship conference. No matter how many times that is said, people expect them to have the exact same schedule as all the other teams?

People say.... oh we will never know how USD stacks up looking at their schedule.... WELL MOST PEOPLE BLINDLY don't want to realize USD played a top team in Yale. Then people just make up excuses to say why USD won or why that game isn't very important. Folks... YALE is a good team, they beat Lehigh who might be in the playoffs.

USD is undefeated... I repeat, they haven't lost a game. They are ranked highly in ALL POLLS. They are GPI indicated for the playoffs, for weeks now, have a Payton Award Candidate at QB, the Nations top I-AA offense (also a highly ranked defense) and are near the tops in many statistical categories.

If USD sucked so bad, and weren't worthy of consideration, how do you explain the high rankings, etc.? It's not like this is based on one poll... there are many!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM
OK ok ok... can I move to close on this motion? Because the discussion is taking circle after circle... Thank you... all in favor of sending USD to Missoula to get crushed say aye...

AYE!

BeauFoster
November 10th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Putting the fact that USD is undefeated aside, I think that some people on here are forgetting the true goal of the playoff system. The purpose of any playoff system is to determine a champion through competition. When determining any playoff field, a selection committee should look at what teams have a legitimate chance of winning the ultimate prize (don't start about the b-ball tourney, the first 2 rounds are there for $ only). Does USD have a shot at winning it all? That is the $64,000 question. Unfortunately (IMO), besides a beating a low-25 GPI ranked Yale, USD has done little to prove that they can compete with the other top ranked teams in the country. They have great stats and it seems that they have a legit QB. Will that be enough to sway the committee? I don't know.

cosmo here
November 10th, 2006, 12:52 PM

THEY ARE UNDEFEATED

I repeat, they committee doesn't sit there at the start of the year and determine what schedule is worthy and then decide which teams are playoff eligible.

USD is non-scholarship, and they play in a non-scholarship conference. No matter how many times that is said, people expect them to have the exact same schedule as all the other teams?

People say.... oh we will never know how USD stacks up looking at their schedule.... WELL MOST PEOPLE BLINDLY don't want to realize USD played a top team in Yale. Then people just make up excuses to say why USD won or why that game isn't very important. Folks... YALE is a good team, they beat Lehigh who might be in the playoffs.

USD is undefeated... I repeat, they haven't lost a game. They are ranked highly in ALL POLLS. They are GPI indicated for the playoffs, for weeks now, have a Payton Award Candidate at QB, the Nations top I-AA offense (also a highly ranked defense) and are near the tops in many statistical categories.

If USD sucked so bad, and weren't worthy of consideration, how do you explain the high rankings, etc.? It's not like this is based on one poll... there are many!

Don't direct your anger at us, direct it at your AD and head coach who put together a schedule that includes a DII and an NAIA school. If they felt they had a playoff-caliber team, they should have put together a playoff-caliber schedule.

don't confuse the polls and GPI with the selection comittee. xcoffeex

YoUDeeMan
November 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM
OK ok ok... can I move to close on this motion? Because the discussion is taking circle after circle... Thank you... all in favor of sending USD to Missoula to get crushed say aye...

AYE!

Nay.

Just because one or two people really, really, really believe in Santa Claus and fairies, doesn't mean that I-AA should cater to their playoff hopes and dreams. SDU is what SDU is...a school that plays in a weak conference and took it upon themselves to schedule two sub-D1 teams. Somebody threw Hampton a cookie last year and they choked on it.

Enough with the charity ideas for schools that elect to avoid tough competition during the regular season.

And, JMU fan, if JMU loses close games in their next two (ignore the fact that that is very unlikely), would most JMU fans be so willing to give up an 8-3 JMU's spot for USD?

If not, then stop tossing in USD and leaving out a more deserving team.

Nay, nay, nay, nay, nay.

Nay.

cosmo here
November 10th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Somebody threw Hampton a cookie last year and they choked on it.

Hampton earned an automatic bid last year.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=Cluck U]
If not, then stop tossing in USD and leaving out a more deserving team.
[QUOTE]

We'd never hear the end of it! Go UCD!

grizbeer
November 10th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I'd rather just fly into Missoula... remember $$ is not an issue with USD folk xlolxbest option from San Diego is Alaska Air or Delta - Alaska with a stop in Seattle, Delta in SLC. United also has a flight, but stops in Denver.

Also you might try a cheap flight to Las Vegas, then Allegiant into Missoula if budget is an issue. The only problem with Allegiant is they only fly to Missoula on Thursday, Sunday, and Tuesday, so your options are limited, but compared to trying to fly on Thanksgiving Weekend everything can be tough.

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2006, 01:11 PM

Respectfully Torero tradition, Wofford was in 2002 on the same fence as you are now. Media outlets saying that Wofford should get an invitation, the hype was there and all of that. Selection Sunday that year came and went without a phone call to Wofford. (Hence the term you hear on AGS "Woofed")

I hope it does work out for you and your team. Cinderella stories are one of the things that makes sports so dynamic. But be prepared for the fact that for many of the reasons mentioned here (SOS being the one at the top of the list) SD might not get a call-- no matter what the media calls for.

Wofford came out in 2003 and took care of business and left no doubt about its abilities and made it all the way to the quarterfinal round. Make it or not, I hope the Torero team and fans will build upon this year and develop a great college football tradition at SD.

College football at our level be better if they do.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks D-jo, what was Wofford's record that year? can you post their schedule and outcome? Thanks

Woofed or not, USD football is on the rise! :)

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks D-jo, what was Wofford's record that year? can you post their schedule and outcome? Thanks

Woofed or not, USD football is on the rise! :)

9-3 overall and 6-2 in the Southern Conference

Newberry
SC State
Georgia Southern
Maryland
Chattanooga
VMI
Western Carolina
App State
The Citadel
East tenn State
Furman
Elon

losses: Maryland, Furman, and VMI:bawling:

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Wofford definately got screwed! If they did let them in that year, no way they should let a 7-4 in this year.

One thing USD has going for them is that they are undefeated and highly ranked, plus they sport the Nations #1 offense and carry a top defense.

Frosty The Snowbuff
November 10th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I notice that this is San Diego hour so I'll ask a quick question....

Anyone notice that a Big South Team (Charleston Southern) is Undefeated as well??...I'm not sure how high they are in the poll...but isn't there a chance that they may jump San Diego for that playoff spot (If CSU wins out)??

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Wofford definately got screwed! If they did let them in that year, no way they should let a 7-4 in this year.

One thing USD has going for them is that they are undefeated and highly ranked, plus they sport the Nations #1 offense and carry a top defense.

right.

Guard Dawg
November 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Cupcake schedule= San Diego

yosef1969
November 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM

THEY ARE UNDEFEATED

Wow - these USD threads are really annoying. I've tried to avoid most of them but there are so many. . .

What part of weak schedule is so hard to understand. An undefeated season means nothing if you haven't defeated any quality opponents.

IMO no way USD deserves a spot over a 7-4 Portland State team.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Complication No. 2: There are a pair of undefeated teams out there who are still undefeated (San Diego and Charleston Southern), but have played obviously inferior schedules.

In San Diego’s case, the Toreros have been ranked as 10th in the Gridiron Power Index (GPI) and have cascaded up the national rankings as the season has progressed.

But San Diego has played two non-Division I games (Azusa Pacific and Dixie State), competes in arguably the worse conference in I-AA (the Pioneer Football League) and has played only one non-conference game with a quality opponent (current Ivy League leader Yale).

Do you reward an obviously talented team with a playoff bid? Or do you punish them for playing a rotten schedule?

Other complications for San Diego is the fact that the Toreros would be eligible to play in the postseason as the PFL’s representative in the Gridiron Classic if they beat Dayton on Saturday. The champion of the Northeast Conference will host the PFL winner on Dec. 2.

The PFL and the NEC agreed several weeks ago to send their second-place team to the Gridiron Classic should either of the championship teams earn a spot in the playoffs. The game was also rescheduled from Nov. 18 to Dec. 2 to accommodate such a possibility.

But there are still more complications for San Diego, a team with more plot twists than Desperate Housewives. The Toreros are also scheduled to play UC Davis on Nov. 25, the opening weekend of the playoffs.

UC Davis, a solid squad that was ranked in the top 25 of every major poll until a recent losing streak, would probably be the toughest, most respected opponent on San Diego’s schedule. But the timing of the game would bring no benefit to the Toreros’ playoff resume.

The Aggies have graciously agreed to reschedule their game with San Diego in a different year — with a financial penalty for the Toreros — should USD make the playoffs.

But all of these scenarios makes you wonder if the NCAA committee would want to deal with such difficult logistics?

The Committee need not worry itself about picking the Toreros based on the Gridiron classic or UC Davis game. It has nothing to do with them. You take the next best 8 at-large teams. San Diego is one of those teams this year.

gophoenix
November 10th, 2006, 04:54 PM

They take the next best 8 playoff teams meeting a ton of criteria. The ability to draw fans (which is which Elon, Wofford and others have been screwed), tradition of being in the playoffs, SoS, and overall record against scholarship D-I opponents (notice past articles where a Morehead St win hasn't counted for the playoffs)....

So let me think again, what of the typical qualities does San Diego have again? Other than a loud mouth coach, a newspaper willing to listen and fans who spout this stuff continually.

It's like watching a political campaign here.

San Diego is one of those teams this year.

How in the heck do you figure that? San Diego has statistically the best offense against the worst competition of the division. And San Diego sports an undefeated record (much like Davidson did in 2000) while playing one team currently in the top 50 of I-AA schools.

Elon is one of the best football teams too. Wait, so is Gardner-Webb. And Towson. And Cornell. And Indiana St and Murray St.... see how easy it is for any of us to say.

A 4-7 team from the Big Sky, A-10, Gateway or SoCon should get a bid before you guys.

OldFootballGuy
November 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM
The Committee need not worry itself about picking the Toreros based on the Gridiron classic or UC Davis game. It has nothing to do with them. You take the next best 8 at-large teams. San Diego is one of those teams this year.

Not even close. If USD gets into the playoffs with the schedule thye've played the fallout will be tremendous. Every team with playoff hopes will load up on cupcakes. There won't be any reason for good OOC matchups like JMU/ASU this year. Instead, you'll see JMU play Marist and LaSalle. San Diego may be a decent team, but there's no basis by which to judge them against the teams who have played a playoff caliber schedule.

YoUDeeMan
November 10th, 2006, 09:59 PM

In a previous post, why ask what Wofford's record was the year they got screwed? :nono:

Google "Wofford football". Whew, I broke a sweat typing that. :bang:

"Wofford definately got screwed". xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
To an average I-AA football fan, the statement, "Wofford got screwed" makes sense. They know what Wofford's SOS schedule that year meant. But to a person who's posts indicate they don't have a drop of I-AA football knowledge, or any idea of what SOS is, the statement, "Wofford got definately got screwed" sounds like a six year old agreeing with the crowd that an orgasm feels good.

You have no credibility.

usdtoreros
November 10th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I notice that this is San Diego hour so I'll ask a quick question....

Anyone notice that a Big South Team (Charleston Southern) is Undefeated as well??...I'm not sure how high they are in the poll...but isn't there a chance that they may jump San Diego for that playoff spot (If CSU wins out)??

You also have to look at how they won. USD has dominated everyone they have played, while CSU has squeeked out several victories against weak opponents.

usdtoreros
November 10th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Putting the fact that USD is undefeated aside, I think that some people on here are forgetting the true goal of the playoff system. The purpose of any playoff system is to determine a champion through competition. When determining any playoff field, a selection committee should look at what teams have a legitimate chance of winning the ultimate prize (don't start about the b-ball tourney, the first 2 rounds are there for $ only). Does USD have a shot at winning it all? That is the $64,000 question. Unfortunately (IMO), besides a beating a low-25 GPI ranked Yale, USD has done little to prove that they can compete with the other top ranked teams in the country. They have great stats and it seems that they have a legit QB. Will that be enough to sway the committee? I don't know.

Using your premise, I would argue that is exactly why USD should be in the playoffs. Since they have beaten everyone, they have a chance to beat anyone in the playoffs. Why pick a team that has already lost to a few of the teams they would have to beat to win the championship.

Torero Tradition
November 10th, 2006, 11:10 PM
GAME IS SOLD OUT TOMORROW!!! Quite the buzz on campus right now, community is really starting to support this team!

FlyYtown
November 11th, 2006, 12:32 AM
yawn! time for bed... and yawn to these topics.. Has AGS become SDT central?

TheBisonator
November 11th, 2006, 01:27 AM
The simple notion that USD has a chance at getting into the playoffs this year after beating teams that aren't better than high school all-star teams... And that an 8-1 NDSU team - With their lone loss on the road at a Big Ten team losing by one point on a blocked field goal in front of 63,000 fans, beating a I-A MAC team, as well as Georgia Southern, Northeastern, Stephen F. Austin, UC Davis, Southern Utah and Mississippi Valley State - Has no chance of making the playoffs at all, makes me want to slit my wrists.

November 11th, 2006, 02:31 AM
... a chance at getting into the playoffs this year after beating teams that aren't better than high school all-star teams...Concordia-St. Paul (D-II) 4-6
Ball State 4-6
Georgia Southern 3-6
Northeastern 3-6
Stephen F. Austin 2-7
UC Davis 4-5
Southern Utah 3-6
Mississippi Valley State 6-4
29-46 Bison beaten opponent's record

BeauFoster
November 11th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Using your premise, I would argue that is exactly why USD should be in the playoffs. Since they have beaten everyone, they have a chance to beat anyone in the playoffs. Why pick a team that has already lost to a few of the teams they would have to beat to win the championship.

The answer to that question lies in the thread about beating teams twice in one year. Even though I do not agree with that old adage, nearly 75% of the time, the team that won the first game loses the second. Also, USD has not beaten a team that will even sniff the playoffs (they haven't even played one) and they have done nothing to prove that they can beat a team that will make the playoffs.

MR. CHICKEN
November 11th, 2006, 08:21 AM
AN'......ISN'T KENT SCHMIDT......FAITH HILL'S...PUBLICIST?

CHEERIOS......SOS...SOS...SOS...SOS.....1st COMMITTEE CONSIDERATION!

BUK!...BUK!...BUK!...BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

GOTOREROS
November 11th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Concordia-St. Paul (D-II) 4-6
Ball State 4-6
Georgia Southern 3-6
Northeastern 3-6
Stephen F. Austin 2-7
UC Davis 4-5
Southern Utah 3-6
Mississippi Valley State 6-4
29-46 Bison beaten opponent's record

Interesting when you put facts into a debate.....:nod:

Torero Tradition
November 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
The answer to that question lies in the thread about beating teams twice in one year. Even though I do not agree with that old adage, nearly 75% of the time, the team that won the first game loses the second. Also, USD has not beaten a team that will even sniff the playoffs (they haven't even played one) and they have done nothing to prove that they can beat a team that will make the playoffs.

Yale would sniff the playoffs, plus Yale has beaten teams that will probably be in the playoffs. Why can't people see the statement USD made in that game?

AZGrizFan
November 11th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Interesting when you put facts into a debate.....:nod:

The W-L record of the opponents of the football factory called USD isn't much better @ 34-41, and that's not counting Dixie State, which I COULDN'T EVEN FIND!

GOTOREROS
November 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM
The W-L record of the opponents of the football factory called USD isn't much better @ 34-41, and that's not counting Dixie State, which I COULDN'T EVEN FIND!

Uh.........I was simply commenting on what Ralph responded to a NDSU statement about opponents records. At what point did I make any claim about USD having a superior record? :rolleyes: I didn't say anything about our recrod becuase I know what it is, unlike the Bison fan who popped off and was set straight by Ralph....

You can go back to your anti-USD agenda now.......: smh :

ucdtim17
November 11th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Just when I think I can't take any more USD, what do I find on the front page of the SF Chronicle sports page this morning, but of course, another article on USD

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/11/11/SPGCEMB1B91.DTL

BigApp
November 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Dixie State is a D2, and is 1-8 so far on the season.

They have been outscored a per-game average of 41-14.

They give up an average of almost 400 yards per game.

They lost to Azusa Pacific 38-20.

They are a pitiful football team.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM
San Diego, congrats on a 10-0 season so far!

BeauFoster
November 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Yale would sniff the playoffs, plus Yale has beaten teams that will probably be in the playoffs. Why can't people see the statement USD made in that game?

Yale lost yesterday. They are not even the third best team in the Ivy.

GOTOREROS
November 12th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Yale lost yesterday. They are not even the third best team in the Ivy.

Yale has 1 loss in conference and they are not the third best team?

BeauFoster
November 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Yale has 1 loss in conference and they are not the third best team?

They haven't played Harvard yet, either.

AZGrizFan
November 12th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Uh.........I was simply commenting on what Ralph responded to a NDSU statement about opponents records. At what point did I make any claim about USD having a superior record? :rolleyes: I didn't say anything about our recrod becuase I know what it is, unlike the Bison fan who popped off and was set straight by Ralph....

You can go back to your anti-USD agenda now.......: smh :

Thanks, but I never left it. ;) ;) ;)

GOTOREROS
November 12th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks, but I never left it. ;) ;) ;)

Cave Creek is really nice this time of year - playing much golf? Starts to get pricey this time of year huh?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM
So if USD gets in I guess they are cancelling their game with Davis?

GOTOREROS
November 12th, 2006, 11:38 AM
So if USD gets in I guess they are cancelling their game with Davis?

Yes - it has been confirmed should they get in...

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I don't blame the San Diego people for being excited, have fun.
But you really have gone overboard on the posting. It doesn't matter how many threads you start, or how many posts you make about traveling to Missoula. I'm pretty sure volume of posting and threads on AGS is not a criteria that the committee uses when selecting the field.
You can't wish yourselves into the playoffs.

McNeese75
November 12th, 2006, 12:13 PM
But you really have gone overboard on the posting. It doesn't matter how many threads you start, or how many posts you make about traveling to Missoula. I'm pretty sure volume of posting and threads on AGS is not a criteria that the committee uses when selecting the field.

I hear they are wearing ruby slippers and clickin heels over there too xlolx

BigApp
November 12th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Yes - it has been confirmed should they get in...

Are you referring to your Southern Cal Trojans getting into the BCS title game?

Mike Johnson
November 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM

No, I think they expect their play on the field, their stats, and their rankings to get them in.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I think the Toreros left it all on the field and they are very deserving of an at-large bid. Especially after the way some of the games turned out this weekend.

SO ILLmatic
November 12th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Just for discussion's sake: San Diego is more deserving than what teams to receive one of the at-large bids???

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 01:26 PM
More deserving than 7-4 teams... but let's wait for the new rankings and GPI to come out this week and I will gladly point out why they should make it in based on the information i'm presented from all the experts.

Stang Fever
November 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
More deserving the Portland St who is 7-4 with two losses to Cal and Oregon...right

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Portland State went for the money, they had their chances to get in and then they lossed to both the Montana schools.

BeauFoster
November 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM
TT: I have two legitimate questions for you...First, how many times have you seen USD play in person? Second, how many other (Sports Network) top 25 teams have you seen play either in person or on TV? I am asking for complete games, not highlights.

TheTribeHasSpoken
November 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
USD IS THE BEST EVER AT EVERYTHING!

ucdavisaggie05
November 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Just wait until the 25th....the Ags would love to hang an L on your "11-0" record. Tavernetti Bell will be ringing next Saturday afternoon.

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM
It's a 10-0 record... they could only hang a loss on that. If USD doesn't make the playoffs they play UC-Davis and then the Gridiron Classic, if they make the playoffs the other two games are off....

ucdavisaggie05
November 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM
10-0 and not 11-0, eh? Oops. That's what I get for checking out the schedule.

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/usd-m-footbl-sched.html

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM
aggie, you have any pics of your stadium... i would like to see what it is like.

jjpitt
November 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Who's brainwashed? Montana Grizzlies have taken on one opponent after another....with each one's year (if not career) goal of knocking off Montana. To add fuel to the fire, five teams have had the week off before their Montana game to give them two weeks to prepare for us. The result has always been the same, as it will be with the bobcats (sic) this Saturday in the "Brawl of the Wild."

It has been this way all season....the Grizzlies get no respect. Until you see our D, you haven't seen one outside of 1-A football. The country's best QB's have folded under its pressure week after week.:D

Way to go USD fans, you now have brianwashed the media into picking USD to make the playoffs.

http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=740
Who from the I-AA West will be in the postseason?

From the two automatic bid leagues, I feel the Big Sky representative will be Montana State and the Southland representative will be Sam Houston State.

The Great West Football Conference does not have an automatic bid and my predicted winner of NDSU is playoff ineligible since they are still in their reclassification period from Division II. SDSU is also playoff ineligible and Cal Poly with my predicted results will have four losses and just six DI wins and be taken out of consideration.

The I-AA West has had a history of four playoff spots but getting that many spots this year will be difficult. Right now, I see just the two automatic qualifiers coming from the West, along with Montana. This likely would mean that current undefeated San Diego from the Pioneer League would gain a spot in the playoffs as well to get a fourth team from the West into the playoffs.

Unless we see a number of teams with four losses, I just can’t see any other I-AA West teams making the playoffs. I also don’t see a four-loss team getting in the playoffs over an undefeated San Diego team.

So there you have my I-AA West playoff picks—Montana, Montana State, Sam Houston State, and San Diego as the West’s playoff teams. With my predictions, I don’t think any West team will get a Top 4 seed; however, Montana would undoubtedly get a home game in the opening round.

November 12th, 2006, 05:43 PM
aggie, you have any pics of your stadium... i would like to see what it is like.Check the stadium thread that is a link at the top of the page.

CopperCat
November 12th, 2006, 06:45 PM

ps:

Ditto.xsmileyclapx

Torero Tradition
November 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
USD would be just as happy to go to Bozeman as they would Missoula... but since reality is starting to set in.... i think we are headed to missoula :)