PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 11

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 1st, 2014, 07:45 PM
I was 2-2 today. VMI and The Citadel finally collected their first conference wins. Here is where I have it after today's games (number in parenthesis indicate number of wins needed for at-large bid vs. number of D1 games remaining).

1) Chattanooga (1 of 3) - One win away from at least a share of their second straight conference title.
2) Western Carolina (3 of 3) - Needs to win out to have a chance.
3) Wofford (OUT) - Resting up for an elimination game for them vs. Chattanooga.
4) Samford (OUT) - Burninated Concordia College.
5) The Citadel* (OUT) - Shocked the Bears in Macon.
6) VMI* (OUT) - Repelled the invading Paladins.
7) Furman* (OUT) - No playoffs for them.
8) Mercer* (OUT) - Experienced growing pains today
ETSU - Played football on Homecoming for the first time in years (a scrimmage, but still).

Predictions
Furman @ The Citadel - Bulldogs defend their house
Western Carolina @ Samford - Catamounts keep their playoff hopes alive
Wofford @ Chattanooga (Game of the Week) - Mocs clinch share of conference title

Conference Title Scenario
Samford - eliminated with loss or Chattanooga win
Wofford - eliminated with loss
Western Carolina - eliminated with loss and Chattanooga win
Chattanooga - clinches share or title with win, clinches autobid with win and Western Carolina loss

kdinva
November 1st, 2014, 07:57 PM
1) UTC
2) Wofford
3) Samford
4) WCU
5) Citadel
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Furman

UTC 31; Wofford 21
Citadel 31; Furman 24
Samford 27; WCU 20

rokamortis
November 1st, 2014, 08:01 PM
1) UTC
2) Wofford
3) Samford
4) WCU
5) Citadel
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Furman

UTC 31; Wofford 21
Citadel 31; Furman 24
Samford 27; WCU 20

I bet that felt good posting that!

bonarae
November 1st, 2014, 09:08 PM
Chattanooga
The Citadel
Samford

ElCid
November 1st, 2014, 09:22 PM
5) The Citadel* (OUT) - Shocked the Bears in Macon.

Shocked? Really? Hardly a shock.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2014, 10:22 PM
SoCon Standing and Remaining SoCon Schedules

5-0 Chattanooga: Wofford, @Furman
4-1 Western Carolina: @Samford, VMI
3-1 Wofford: @UTC, @Furman, Mercer
3-2 Samford: WCU, @Citadel
1-3 Furman: @Citadel, Wofford, UTC
1-3 Citadel: Furman, Samford, @VMI
1-4 VMI: @WCU, Citadel
1-5 Mercer: @Wofford

SoCon Scores

Furman 15
VMI 31
A: 3,624

Chattanooga 51
Western Carolina 0
A: 8,705

Concordia College 0
Samford 51
A: 4,871

The Citadel 28
Mercer 26

chattanoogamocs
November 2nd, 2014, 01:23 AM
10,692 Chattanooga
14,285 Jacksonville State
8,872 Samford
8,848 VMI
10,763 Mercer

10,000 Mercer
10,027 Reinhardt
12,227 Furman
10,173 Ave Maria
8,027 Austin Peay
9,277 Western Carolina
10,271 The Citadel

9,762 Western Carolina
8,929 Brevard
10,511 Catawba
7,343 Wofford
13,323 The Citadel
8,705 Chattanooga

9,476 The Citadel
10,828 Coastal Carolina
8,573 Gardner-Webb
10,467 Charlotte
8,037 Chattanooga

8,179 Furman
7,533 Gardner-Webb
9,789 Western Carolina
7,347 Coastal Carolina
8,047 Samford

7,942 Wofford
7,392 North Greenville
7,108 UVA-Wise
9,259 The Citadel
8,010 VMI

5,466 Samford
4,968 Stillman
4,618 VMI
8,714 Mercer
4,157 Wofford
4,871 Concordia

4,804 VMI
4,479 Davidson
4,490 Mercer
6,624 Gardner-Webb
3,624 Furman

2013 Attendance:
13,155 The Citadel
9,922 Chattanooga
9,379 Mercer
8,299 Furman
8,241 Western Carolina
7,773 Wofford
7,512 Samford
5,046 VMI

OrangeJuice
November 2nd, 2014, 06:37 AM
1. Chattanooga - showed who is boss
2. Samford - order will be restored next weekend
3. WCU - back to reality
4. Wofford - here by default
5. The Citadel - Mercer first of several SOCON wins to come
6. Mercer - took us a half to figure out triple-option. Almost a great comeback (again).
7. VMI - Experienced growing pains today
8. Furman - wow. what happened?
9. ETSU - like to list 9 more than just 8

Predictions
Furman @ The Citadel - Didn't see this prediction coming
WCU @ Samford - Hangover for WCU
Wofford @ Chattanooga - The beatings continue
OPEN @ Mercer - Bears get healthy for big game versus powerhouse Warner

Note: Men's Soccer Wins SoCon Regular Season Title (http://http://mercerbears.com/sports/msoc/2014-15/releases/20141101sx79uc)

kdinva
November 2nd, 2014, 07:19 AM

shocked only it was that close......VMI's four redzone turnovers allowed Mercer to stay, then win, that contest earlier.......

OL FU
November 2nd, 2014, 08:15 AM
Predictions
Furman @ The Citadel -
Western Carolina @ Samford
Wofford @ Chattanooga

ElCid
November 2nd, 2014, 08:44 AM
shocked only it was that close......VMI's four redzone turnovers allowed Mercer to stay, then win, that contest earlier.......

Me too. We had it done by half, except the team forgot one thing, to play the second half. That is not really fair, because they did some good things in the second half, but they were clearly not as focused. The weather probably played a little bit on the frozen hands as the sun went down (I was freezing my butt off), but we started making too many mistakes the second half and Mercer correctly adjusted a bit as well since they stopped us more, although not completely.

And I have to say, we did a few silly penalties again, at absolutely the wrong time. And while the officiating was not bad in general, we did get a questionable un-sportsmanlike conduct on their last drive, which was crucial. I say questionable because I did not hear if anything was said as well (mouth might have been running), but go to ESPN3 and zip to the last Mercer drive (at the 2:53:00 mark on the replay--8:10 on the game clock), where we sacked them bad on 3rd down and see for yourself if giving your arms a flex with your teammates is really unsportsmanlike. Even the announcers on ESPN3 (who must have been a Mercer grad from the some of the comments he made all game) said it was questionable. A facemask a few plays later did not help either but it was an inadvertent grab and release and our guy knew it immediately and kicked himself. So much for the days when The Citadel used to commit the least penalties in all of Div I football on an annual basis. There was also one that we probably could have been flagged on at the 30 minute mark on the tape. The hit we put on Mercer return man was brutal. When I saw it in live action (and heard it and felt it) it looked clean. On the replay it looks like a helmet to helmet, but it is always hard to tell if the runner got lower just as the hit was made and that led to the helmet to helmet rather than the defender purposely doing it. It looked like the return man got a tad lower and leaned as our guy made the hit. In any event we did not see their #13 until the second half. Glad he was alright.

I have to hand it to Mercer for doing what they have done all year, and that is finishing games. I kept telling the Bulldog fans near me at half that this thing was not over, and they laughed. I guess if we stayed focused it might have been, but I know my Dogs and I am starting to know Mercer and it was far from over. I think the Dogs wanted to throw more, but there was a brutal 20 MPH wind most of the game so I am glad they only attempted 3 passes. I say 3 (we were 1 of 2) because we got sacked on one that we were clearly going to pass on. Also, I think we did a very good job on special teams and that likely saved us. We kept their stud return men in check. We had 3 or 4 fumbles but only lost 1. All the others bounced our way.

I do have to question the attendance figures that were given. The west side was barely half full and while the east side was fuller, it was not even close to capacity. 10,000+? It was closer to 7K maybe. There were 2-3 hundred combined in the end zones grass. Obviously the weather kept folks away. I do not doubt they sold 10K+ but the numbers on hand did not come close. The field and stadium are very nice. They have done a first rate job in Macon. Parking was easy and Mercer did a very nice job setting up a tailgate area for all the Dog fans. We had 200-300 Bulldog fans on hand. I look forward to going again and maybe not just when my Dogs are in town.

ElCid
November 2nd, 2014, 10:06 AM
1) Chattanooga - Distant #1, nobody is close
2) Samford - They are the true sleepers of the SOCON.
3) Western Carolina - Ouch, but they have come a long way
4) Wofford - They are always tough, just less tough this year
5) The Citadel - Still trying to come into focus, a nice home stand coming to see if they can
6) Mercer - UHG! Who invited them? They will be a thorn in everyone's side
7) VMI - They are more talented than folks think, just have not been able to get it together, until now thanks to Furman
8) Furman - In total meltdown mode?

Wofford @ Chattanooga - Chatty might be feeling a bit cocky so closer than they would like as Wofford can chew clock - 28-20
Furman @ The Citadel - Furman is down and wanting to come back bad, Dogs still have growing pains and a questionable D, so closer than I would like, but I think Dogs will prevail at home - 34-24
WCU @ Samford - Western just got shellacked and Samford seems rejuvenated - 38-17

OrangeJuice
November 2nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
I would say ElCid made a very good synopsis of the game. I do think Mercer's 2nd half performance had as much to do with adjustments on defense, but there is no doubt Citadel came out flat.

The announcers are Mercer announcers almost as much as you would expect a radio announcer to be. DJ Shockley is the color guy and he went to UGA. I'm not sure about the play-by-play guy. I don't think he went to Mercer but he might as well have.

The hit on the return was brutal and scary. It was definitely helmet-to-helmet and a penalty should have been called The problem is the Citadel player lowered the crown of the helmet instead of keeping the face mask up. It didn't affect the outcome of the game though. Not sure about the unsportsmanlike call. Hard to tell what went on there.

Also agree the crowd looked to be about 7,000. It was Homecoming and I think it would have been packed and closer to 11,000 if the weather was 1/2 decent. This is the downside of the ESPN3 broadcast I guess.

kdinva
November 2nd, 2014, 10:15 AM
go to ESPN3 and zip to the last Mercer drive (at the 2:53:00 mark on the replay--8:10 on the game clock), where we sacked them bad on 3rd down and see for yourself if giving your arms a flex with your teammates is really unsportsmanlike. Even the announcers on ESPN3 (who must have been a Mercer grad from the some of the comments he made all game) said it was questionable.

conversely, the two ESPN3 announcers in Lexington were very good......totally neutral, talked a lot about the two school's overall missions in life.

On one play where Cobb scrambled for 18 yards, then slid, and the Furman DB that went into Cobb helmet to shoulder pad got flagged, and both announcers said that was a bad call, and I agree, but I can't change that. xsmiley_wix

chattanoogamocs
November 2nd, 2014, 10:39 AM
Just thought I would point out that the Mercer ESPN3 broadcasts are produced more "in-house" by Mercer than any of the other SoCon schools. At the beginning of the season they were way overboard homerish, but they have gotten better throughout the year as I think they realize that this is a national broadcast (online, at least) and they need to take a more neutral tone.

Outside of Mercer, all the ESPN3 broadcasts are staffed by ESPN, which is why they sound more neutral (because they are).

Mercer had already signed their own deal with ESPN to show all their home games on ESPN3, so they are basically working directly with ESPN. The other ESPN3 games throughout the conference have been put together through deal with the SoCon office and thus kinda have a middle man.

(College of Charleston basically did the same thing last year as Mercer is doing now, including buying their own production truck)

Of course, anything you see on SoCon Digital Network will be the home announcers and will have more of a home side slant.

citdog
November 2nd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Just thought I would point out that the Mercer ESPN3 broadcasts are produced more "in-house" by Mercer than any of the other SoCon schools. At the beginning of the season they were way overboard homerish, but they have gotten better throughout the year as I think they realize that this is a national broadcast (online, at least) and they need to take a more neutral tone.

Outside of Mercer, all the ESPN3 broadcasts are staffed by ESPN, which is why they sound more neutral (because they are).

Mercer had already signed their own deal with ESPN to show all their home games on ESPN3, so they are basically working directly with ESPN. The other ESPN3 games throughout the conference have been put together through deal with the SoCon office and thus kinda have a middle man.

(College of Charleston basically did the same thing last year as Mercer is doing now, including buying their own production truck)

Of course, anything you see on SoCon Digital Network will be the home announcers and will have more of a home side slant.

The fellas from Western do a great job. Was very impressed with their broadcast.

The Cats
November 2nd, 2014, 10:42 AM
1- Chattanooga (no choking this year)
2- Western Carolina (until somebody besides the Mocs beat them)
3- Wofford
4- Samford (until they beat somebody besides Concordia and Furman)
5- The Citadel
6- Mercer
7- VMI
8- Furman

Wofford at Chattanooga
Furman at The Citadel
Western Carolina at Samford (Cats bounce back after terrible loss)

chattanoogamocs
November 2nd, 2014, 10:45 AM
The fellas from Western do a great job. Was very impressed with their broadcast.

The overhead shot needs a little work (sometimes they focus in too close to the ball on plays...overhead shot should almost always be kept wide), but except for that nitpick, I agree. Also, WCU is mainly students doing the camerawork, so I tend to be more forgiving in my critique.

I have watched a lot of SoConDN stuff from around the conference...and most of it is better than I thought it would be.

ElCid
November 2nd, 2014, 11:16 AM
I would say ElCid made a very good synopsis of the game. I do think Mercer's 2nd half performance had as much to do with adjustments on defense, but there is no doubt Citadel came out flat.

The announcers are Mercer announcers almost as much as you would expect a radio announcer to be. DJ Shockley is the color guy and he went to UGA. I'm not sure about the play-by-play guy. I don't think he went to Mercer but he might as well have.

The hit on the return was brutal and scary. It was definitely helmet-to-helmet and a penalty should have been called The problem is the Citadel player lowered the crown of the helmet instead of keeping the face mask up. It didn't affect the outcome of the game though. Not sure about the unsportsmanlike call. Hard to tell what went on there.

Also agree the crowd looked to be about 7,000. It was Homecoming and I think it would have been packed and closer to 11,000 if the weather was 1/2 decent. This is the downside of the ESPN3 broadcast I guess.

I was not even thinking of this but yeah, ESPN probably had an impact as well. I guess I did not think about it because there was no way I was not going to go, weather or not, since it is the shortest drive for me all season. No reason to watch the box when I can freeze. The thing that got me was when the color guy said something like, "If Mercer can get a first down here it would be awesome." I kept thinking, awesome for who? I guess he was just caught up in the whole Mercer thing that you guys got going up there. You have done a good job of PR. Which is rather nice for you. It is good to have energy, I wish we had some back in Charleston. I also just read chattanoogamocs explanation and I guess you have the private ESPN thing going as well.

SU DOG
November 2nd, 2014, 01:00 PM
1) UTC
2) Wofford
3) Samford
4) WCU
5) Citadel
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Furman

UTC 31; Wofford 21
Citadel 31; Furman 24
Samford 27; WCU 20

This standing looks about right to me, and so do the winners. In the case of these scores, however, I think the spread will be wider in each game. For example, I believe that Samford will win by more than 7 points. Of course, that's a homer opinion.

dungeonjoe
November 2nd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Off topic, but I am not impressed with the SoCon digital network. Besides the horrible camera angles and focus issues, I wish the defenses Wofford faced were as easy to fool as the camera operators. Inevitably, the camera will follow the fake 15 yards down the field before making a sickening jerk to try and focus on the guy with the ball.

maybe it is the in house people, but the Western/chatty game was no better yesterday. For instance, there was a roughing the punter penalty; I didn't see it (or a replay). I turned it off and watches the VMi/Furman game instead

NavyDog
November 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM
1) UTC
2) Wofford
3) Samford
4) WCU
5) Citadel
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Furman

UTC 31; Wofford 21
Citadel 31; Furman 24
Samford 27; WCU 20

Looks good from a power ranking perspective and predictions. Home teams should carry the day across the board. I know….Wofford is always dangerous, furman is typically a tight contest vs Citadel and WCU is much improved….but this time of year--I'll go with the Chat, Sammy, El Cid trifecta.

chattanoogamocs
November 2nd, 2014, 01:59 PM
Off topic, but I am not impressed with the SoCon digital network. Besides the horrible camera angles and focus issues, I wish the defenses Wofford faced were as easy to fool as the camera operators. Inevitably, the camera will follow the fake 15 yards down the field before making a sickening jerk to try and focus on the guy with the ball.

maybe it is the in house people, but the Western/chatty game was no better yesterday. For instance, there was a roughing the punter penalty; I didn't see it (or a replay). I turned it off and watches the VMi/Furman game instead

Unless the game is on ESPN3 or ASN...it is going to be in-house people running the show...and the majority of the schools will use student interns. Not to brag, but the majority of people working in Chattanooga are full time paid professionals. For all major sports we hire camera people from local network TV stations. For a football or basketball game, Mocvision has a 10-12 person crew, only 3 of them are students (two are grips, one is a back up for replay). The reality is, some schools will pony up extra funds to try and do a nice job and some schools (that can't afford it) won't.

I think a lot of it will get better over time. This was all thrown together pretty quickly and schools that were previously not doing as much video are having to play catch up (especially since pretty much all sports are being covered). There is also a learning curve with the new equipment that SoCon has provided (which is actually very nice stuff)...even for crews that have a lot of experience.

Remember...it's free. And when something is free, you get what you pay. ;)

ElCid
November 2nd, 2014, 03:02 PM

Ditto. The back and forth is annoying while trying to find who has the ball, kind of like our defense.....

catamount man
November 2nd, 2014, 03:26 PM
1. Chattanooga - showed who is boss
2. Samford - order will be restored next weekend
3. WCU - back to reality
4. Wofford - here by default
5. The Citadel - Mercer first of several SOCON wins to come
6. Mercer - took us a half to figure out triple-option. Almost a great comeback (again).
7. VMI - Experienced growing pains today
8. Furman - wow. what happened?
9. ETSU - like to list 9 more than just 8

Predictions
Furman @ The Citadel - Didn't see this prediction coming
WCU @ Samford - Hangover for WCU
Wofford @ Chattanooga - The beatings continue
OPEN @ Mercer - Bears get healthy for big game versus powerhouse Warner

Note: Men's Soccer Wins SoCon Regular Season Title (http://http://mercerbears.com/sports/msoc/2014-15/releases/20141101sx79uc)

October 18, 2014: WCU 35 Mercer 21

WELCOME TO REALITY!

catamount man
November 2nd, 2014, 03:30 PM
1) Chattanooga - the dominant team in the SoCon and could be the Sunbelt's 12th member yesterday. Seriously.
2) Samford - only here because the CATS have not beaten them since they joined the SoCon.
3) WCU - Hey, at 6-3 we have already erased years of futility. Even if VMI is the only win left, I think all of WCU can live with 7-5. Believe me, we can live with it.
4) Wofford - The workhorse team of the conference.
5) The Citadel - Great win Bulldogs. Was rooting for you hard.
6) Mercer - you're here only for the VMI win.
7) VMI - good win for Sparky and his staff
8) Furman - wow..........

Chatt over Wofford
WCU over Samford (we're due to beat them sometime)
The Citadel over Furman

BearDownMU
November 2nd, 2014, 03:33 PM
October 18, 2014: WCU 35 Mercer 21

WELCOME TO REALITY!

If we'd just gotten drilled by half a hundred, I'd want to talk about three weeks ago, too.

catamount man
November 2nd, 2014, 03:39 PM
If we'd just gotten drilled by half a hundred, I'd want to talk about three weeks ago, too.

I'm just dealing in facts. Be proud that you can beat half the NAIA.

utcfan
November 2nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
1. UTC
2. WCU
3. Wofford
4. Samford
5. Citadel
6. Mercer
7. VMI
8. Furman

UTC>Wofford
Samford>WCU (home field advantage)
Citadel>Furman

BearDownMU
November 2nd, 2014, 03:44 PM
I'm just dealing in facts. Be proud that you can beat half the NAIA.

I'm proud of any win. Not bringing 'em up a month later after a beating, tho.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2014, 04:44 PM
Nobody is picking Wofford this weekend, I like those odds.

Though I have to say if I weren't biased I'd be doing the same thing

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2014, 04:50 PM
At this point it would appear that there is a solid top 4 and a solid bottom 4 in the Socon though.

Toby
November 2nd, 2014, 06:27 PM
1) Chattanooga - Distant #1, nobody is close
2) Samford - They are the true sleepers of the SOCON.
3) Western Carolina - Ouch, but they have come a long way
4) Wofford - They are always tough, just less tough this year
5) The Citadel - Still trying to come into focus, a nice home stand coming to see if they can
6) Mercer - UHG! Who invited them? They will be a thorn in everyone's side
7) VMI - They are more talented than folks think, just have not been able to get it together, until now thanks to Furman
8) Furman - In total meltdown mode?

Wofford @ Chattanooga - Chatty might be feeling a bit cocky so closer than they would like as Wofford can chew clock - 28-20
Furman @ The Citadel - Furman is down and wanting to come back bad, Dogs still have growing pains and a questionable D, so closer than I would like, but I think Dogs will prevail at home - 34-24
WCU @ Samford - Western just got shellacked and Samford seems rejuvenated - 38-17

I hate when you are so reasonable. This looks to be right on target. Not much to argue about here.

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Macon and hope you come back often. The economy could use your business! Congrats to the Bulldogs, you did what you needed to do.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 2nd, 2014, 07:02 PM

When you think about it, The Citadel prior to yesterday has yet to win a conference game. Mercer has played surprisingly well for their first season in the SoCon and came close to winning more than one game. Mercer has nothing to be ashamed of this season.

ElCid
November 2nd, 2014, 09:37 PM

Again, not sure about anything said, but this pose will apparently get you a 15 yard penalty in the SOCON, even when made to your own teammates.

Toby
November 2nd, 2014, 10:03 PM
Again, not sure about anything said, but this pose will apparently get you a 15 yard penalty in the SOCON, even when made to your own teammates.

Here's one I may not agree with you on. While I can't be 100% sure, it looked to me like the refs had already warned Citadel on several other occasions about on-field celebrations without throwing the flag. This one may have been the straw that broke the proverbial "back" after previous "in your face" type celebrations had been ignored by the refs and only warranted a "warning". I can't be 100% sure of this since I wasn't on the sidelines. But that is what it looked liked from the stands.

That being said, I don't like the penalty even if it is on the books. Let the kids play and celebrate.

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2014, 10:36 PM

ElCid - Most everything you have posted about the game yesterday has been inordinately fair and balanced. Very hard for a fan to do that (see my last 2 weeks of PowerRankings, for example)...but I think you're looking at this call through baby blue lenses. I wasn't going to comment, but since you posted a pic with one of my FavoriteBears in it (who was, by the way, not responsible for giving up the sack - he gave up his 1st-ever vs. the Mocs last week - hate to make that a habit :)), I felt that I needed to. I believe #62's (who is a great player, BTW) initial celebration - the spontaneous, initial reaction that you show, was fine & would not have been called...but when he held the pose, rotated clockwise so that he was then directly over MU's QB on the ground (see pic - MU's #55 is reaching down to help his teammate to his feet), and then kept rotating into the face of the official, still holding the pose...the Ref had to call it excessive.

It was a good game despite the weather - Bears' D just took too long to learn how the TO looks at game speed and learn to stop it (28 pts in 1st half / 0 in 2nd) and the Bears' O just didn't 'hold serve' in the 1st half like they needed to in order to give the D time for their lesson. Citadel's D deserves credit for that, despite what I'm reading their fans say about their own players. Anyway, a famous Citadel Alum football player / good friend of mine told me at halftime that he hoped the 2nd half would be 'more competitive.' I told him that I sure didn't think it was 'uncompetitive' in the 1st half and that if Mercer figured out how to tackle the pitch man, he would regret his comment. There may have been a few $%^$%#&'s after that as well. I guess I'll have to wait until next year for him to call me a $^&*#$^*$... Nah, due to my Alma Mater, he'll certainly do that before then...maybe next week. xnodx

chattanoogamocs
November 2nd, 2014, 10:48 PM
Very hard for a fan to do that (see my last 2 weeks of PowerRankings, for example)l

I can't wait to see this weeks rankings...looking at previous rankings (every time Mercer loses, they go up a spot), I am fully anticipating Mercer's coronation this week as the #1 team.

Just wondering how far the Mocs will fall after the win in Cullowhee...surely no worse than 3rd.

xpopcornx

FUBeAR
November 2nd, 2014, 11:00 PM
I can't wait to see this weeks rankings...looking at previous rankings (every time Mercer loses, they go up a spot), I am fully anticipating Mercer's coronation this week as the #1 team.

Just wondering how far the Mocs will fall after the win in Cullowhee...surely no worse than 3rd.

xpopcornx

Bears are off this week, so I will join them and take a week off from this foolishness (the PowerRankings, at least - I will be attending an FCS game though - PC @ Ole Miss - I'm friends with Blue Hose players' families and have a daughter who is a RebelBear (student, not a player :D)

But - I will tell you that there is no question that I would rank the Moc's my #1 team and would have Woffy as somewhere between 2 & 6 (still haven't seen them play...much), VMI would be 7 and, sadly, I would have to put FU as #8....while I hope with all my heart that they come up with some way to Beat the Bellhops in Chucktown this week. Not sure who would be 2-6...sorry to disappoint.

ElCid
November 3rd, 2014, 05:48 AM
Here's one I may not agree with you on. While I can't be 100% sure, it looked to me like the refs had already warned Citadel on several other occasions about on-field celebrations without throwing the flag. This one may have been the straw that broke the proverbial "back" after previous "in your face" type celebrations had been ignored by the refs and only warranted a "warning". I can't be 100% sure of this since I wasn't on the sidelines. But that is what it looked liked from the stands.

That being said, I don't like the penalty even if it is on the books. Let the kids play and celebrate.

I have always hated when they celebrate when it highlights themselves. It's the me generation stuff. Jump up and down with your teammates, sure. Jump around and say "I did that, everybody look at me," is just selfish. You can always tell who the team players or self serving players are when they have a great play. It says a lot about them.

I did not see any previous warning (I was jumping up and down too much trying to keep warm), but if so, then that would make sense.

ElCid
November 3rd, 2014, 06:05 AM
ElCid - Most everything you have posted about the game yesterday has been inordinately fair and balanced. Very hard for a fan to do that (see my last 2 weeks of PowerRankings, for example)...but I think you're looking at this call through baby blue lenses. I wasn't going to comment, but since you posted a pic with one of my FavoriteBears in it (who was, by the way, not responsible for giving up the sack - he gave up his 1st-ever vs. the Mocs last week - hate to make that a habit :)), I felt that I needed to. I believe #62's (who is a great player, BTW) initial celebration - the spontaneous, initial reaction that you show, was fine & would not have been called...but when he held the pose, rotated clockwise so that he was then directly over MU's QB on the ground (see pic - MU's #55 is reaching down to help his teammate to his feet), and then kept rotating into the face of the official, still holding the pose...the Ref had to call it excessive.

It was a good game despite the weather - Bears' D just took too long to learn how the TO looks at game speed and learn to stop it (28 pts in 1st half / 0 in 2nd) and the Bears' O just didn't 'hold serve' in the 1st half like they needed to in order to give the D time for their lesson. Citadel's D deserves credit for that, despite what I'm reading their fans say about their own players. Anyway, a famous Citadel Alum football player / good friend of mine told me at halftime that he hoped the 2nd half would be 'more competitive.' I told him that I sure didn't think it was 'uncompetitive' in the 1st half and that if Mercer figured out how to tackle the pitch man, he would regret his comment. There may have been a few $%^$%#&'s after that as well. I guess I'll have to wait until next year for him to call me a $^&*#$^*$... Nah, due to my Alma Mater, he'll certainly do that before then...maybe next week. xnodx

OK, I'll buy that. But I was thinking he was looking at our bench which was in that direction as well. I guess I can't fault the ref for thinking otherwise. He just should not have done it.

The Bears did adjust well. That was evident. At the same time I don't think our offense adjusted, it mostly just tried the same things. I have always hated out play calling. We are so predictable. In the option, it is hard not to be a little repetitive, that is how you wear down the D, but a little misdirection now and again would be nice. Our offense did a couple things differently in the second half, but it was mostly off the same menu. I thought you guys were competitive the whole game and our D did do some good things as you say, but we have issues in pass defense for certain.

tenNesseeCat
November 3rd, 2014, 08:01 AM
Rankings

UTC
WCU
Wofford
Samford
The Citadel
(T)Mercer
(T)VMI
(T)Furman

Picks

Wofford @ UTC - How could I not pick them after what they showed in Cullowhee. 35-17
Furman @ The Citadel - The bulldogs look to make it two in a row. 27-10
WCU @ Samford - The Cats head to Birmingham with a chip on their shoulder. 31-27

Mocs123
November 3rd, 2014, 09:23 AM
1.) Chattanooga. Played their best game of the year in Cullowhee.
2.) Western Carolina. A talented team learning how to win. How will they respond after last week.
3.) Wofford. A good football team playing under the radar.
4.) Samford. Playing good football right now in Birmingham.
5.) Furman. Talented team decimated by injuries.
6.) The Citadel. Pulled out a win on the road.
7.) Mercer. A scrappy team playing competitive football, but not winning.....yet.
8.) VMI Got their first conference win

This weeks games:

Furman 10
The Citadel 21 - Furman is the better team but after the past two weeks you have to wonder if they have mailed it in.

Western Carolina 27
Samford 31 - Not sure what to expect from this game. Western could come out fired up and ready for redemption after last week or they could be in a funk. I think these teams are both talented and evenly matched, so I will go with the home team by 4.

Wofford 21
Chattanooga 34 - This games scares me. I hope we don't have a letdown after a big win last week. Wofford has been a little under the radar this year but are always a smart, well coached, and disciplined team. If we stay focused this week, we clinch at least a share of the SoCon title

SH_Moc
November 3rd, 2014, 10:11 AM
1. Chattanooga - Imposed their will on Western Carolina, in a game that established the Mocs as the best team in the conference. Can they keep it going against Wofford?
2. Wofford - Ayers squad is consistent and is stout against the run. Will be a good test for the Mocs.
3. Samford - Playing good football late in the season. If not for some early season struggles they would be in the conversation for a playoff spot.
4. Western Carolina - Good teams don't get beat 51-0 in critical games. I would have dropped them lower if the teams below weren't so bad. Maybe Troy Mitchell should have tried talking less and playing more.
5. The Citadel - Hangs on to beat Mercer for a SoCon win.
6. VMI - Gets their first SoCon win in their return to the conference.
7. Mercer - Conference wins have eluded the scrappy Bears. Now the Bears have a bye week to prepare for the mighty Warner Royals.
8. Furman - Seven losses in a row with the latest to VMI earns Furman their rightful spot in the SoCon cellar.

Furman @ The Citadel - I think that Furman has thrown in the towel for 2014. Citadel wins a close one at home.
Western Carolina @ Samford - Catamounts not only have to try and put a 51-0 beat down behind them they have hit the road to play a much improved Samford Bulldog squad. I think Samford wins by more than two touchdowns.

SoCon Game of the Week
Wofford @ Chattanooga - Wofford is so well coached and has a history of crushing the hopes and dreams of Mocs and Moc fans. However, I think Chattanooga's talent is better this year and the Mocs will win at home.

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
I would have dropped them lower if the teams below weren't so bad.

As long as you know that one of those teams you are calling 'so bad,' and placed almost at the bottom of your 'so bad' list, played tooth-and-nail with 'your' team at 'your house' and missed having an opportunity to win by just a few inches, then your assessment is fine.

I hope, for Chatt's chances to advance in the playoffs, that you are incorrect. No way a team that plays that close at home in a conference game to a 'so bad' team late in the season, a year after missing the playoffs the way they did the prior year, has much of a chance to advance beyond the 1st round. I think Chatt is better than that and will advance.

SH_Moc
November 3rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
As long as you know that one of those teams you are calling 'so bad,' and placed almost at the bottom of your 'so bad' list, played tooth-and-nail with 'your' team at 'your house' and missed having an opportunity to win by just a few inches, then your assessment is fine.

I hope, for Chatt's chances to advance in the playoffs, that you are incorrect. No way a team that plays that close at home in a conference game to a 'so bad' team late in the season, a year after missing the playoffs the way they did the prior year, has much of a chance to advance beyond the 1st round. I think Chatt is better than that and will advance.

I think the Mocs took Mercer for granted and allowed the scrappy Bears to hang in a game that they shouldn't have. That was a wake up call for the Mocs and they took out their anger on WCU. I would think Mark Speir should scratch Bobby Lamb off his Christmas card list after lighting a fire under the Mocs the week before his Catamounts had to play UTC. I do give Mercer credit for taking that game all the way to the last play of the game. When the Mocs should have put it away once they got up 21 in the 3rd quarter, Mercer fought back and gave UTC a scare.

Good thing for the Bears is that they have two weeks to prepare for the mighty Royals. I would hate for them to have another nail biter like Rheinhardt.

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2014, 11:30 AM
Mercer game was the best thing that ever could have happened to the Mocs.

Lesson learned...don't take anyone for granted...especially a well coached team.

UCMoc
November 3rd, 2014, 11:43 AM

It doesn't matter how many teams you play close. In the end, it's how many did you beat. All those 27-28 final scores against good teams didn't get Chattanooga into the playoffs, and all the teams Mercer played close won't get them out of the cellar. That's the thing about moral victories, they aren't actual victories.

SH_Moc
November 3rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
It doesn't matter how many teams you play close. In the end, it's how many did you beat. All those 27-28 final scores against good teams didn't get Chattanooga into the playoffs, and all the teams Mercer played close won't get them out of the cellar. That's the thing about moral victories, they aren't actual victories.

Well said UCMoc.

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 12:36 PM

Yes - as SH_Moc said..."Well said"...It has nothing whatsoever to do with my comment that you quoted, but it is well-stated and I agree with you 100%.

So...I'll try again...If you think Mercer is 'so bad,' it says an awful lot about Chatt's Team which I just don't think is true. No way, after how the Mocs were screwed out of (IMHO) the playoffs last year, that they overlooked any conference team this season. Coach Huesman is an excellent Coach and there is no way he would let that happen. Why don't you listen to what he and the Moc's players said after the game? I'll paraphrase a few comments I heard, "Mercer is a really good team." "Mercer has some excellent football players." "Mercer had us schemed up exceptionally well." "Mercer kids play hard from the kickoff through the 4th quarter." Yes - they also said they took some bad angles on defense (and they did) and a few other things to explain the closeness of that game, but what I heard was them focus on being excited to get a conference win over a solid opponent. I respect Chatt's Coaches & Players, and my own eyes enough to know that Chatt. is an excellent football team that played hard against a very good (not 'so bad') Mercer team (despite their inability to 'get over the hump' in most SoCon games this season) and the Mocs were excited to get that win. If y'all want to keep talking down and disrespecting your own Team, Coaches, and Players, that's fine with me. I just think you are wrong. Chattanooga is a darn good football team.

Toby
November 3rd, 2014, 12:45 PM

SH_Moc said, "Western Carolina - Good teams don't get beat 51-0 in critical games. I would have dropped them lower if the teams below weren't so bad."

So first you say "playing good football" is important. Then you say losing 51-0 is really bad. But losing 51-0 is not as bad as losing 38-31. Then you say losing close is bad cause it is only a moral victory.

Reading your posts are like watching solo ping pong.

Catamount87
November 3rd, 2014, 12:57 PM
1. Chattanooga - showed up ready to play and brought their A+ game, a sign of an excellent team
2. WCU - were the boys out a bit too late on Friday, maybe afraid of the cold?
3. Wofford - Quietly have established themselves near the top again
4. Samford - mid/late season confidence booster completed, now back to the regularly scheduled program
5. The Citadel - still haven't learned discipline nor how to play 4 complete quarters together
6. Mercer - competitive but learning
7. VMI - got their obligatory 1 conference win
8. Furman - 7 in a row?!? Please hide all the kitchen knives in Greenville
9. ETSU - holding court here because they don't play Furman this year

Predictions
Furman @ The Citadel - The dogs don't ever quit but the Paladins appear to have done just that
Western Carolina @ Samford - Heart say WCU but logic gives Samford the nod at home, I'm going with my heart.
Wofford @ Chattanooga - Mocs are on a roll and want to continue to prove their point.

UCMoc
November 3rd, 2014, 01:05 PM
So first you say "playing good football" is important. Then you say losing 51-0 is really bad. But losing 51-0 is not as bad as losing 38-31. Then you say losing close is bad cause it is only a moral victory.

Reading your posts are like watching solo ping pong.

Please find where I said that. In fact, please find where I said anything else at all in this thread. Go ahead...I'll wait.

UCMoc
November 3rd, 2014, 01:10 PM
Yes - as SH_Moc said..."Well said"...It has nothing whatsoever to do with my comment that you quoted, but it is well-stated and I agree with you 100%.

So...I'll try again...If you think Mercer is 'so bad,' it says an awful lot about Chatt's Team which I just don't think is true. No way, after how the Mocs were screwed out of (IMHO) the playoffs last year, that they overlooked any conference team this season. Coach Huesman is an excellent Coach and there is no way he would let that happen. Why don't you listen to what he and the Moc's players said after the game? I'll paraphrase a few comments I heard, "Mercer is a really good team." "Mercer has some excellent football players." "Mercer had us schemed up exceptionally well." "Mercer kids play hard from the kickoff through the 4th quarter." Yes - they also said they took some bad angles on defense (and they did) and a few other things to explain the closeness of that game, but what I heard was them focus on being excited to get a conference win over a solid opponent. I respect Chatt's Coaches & Players, and my own eyes enough to know that Chatt. is an excellent football team that played hard against a very good (not 'so bad') Mercer team (despite their inability to 'get over the hump' in most SoCon games this season) and the Mocs were excited to get that win. If y'all want to keep talking down and disrespecting your own Team, Coaches, and Players, that's fine with me. I just think you are wrong. Chattanooga is a darn good football team.

But the point is that you played part of one game really well. That doesn't mean you are a good team. A good team actually wins the game. Because Chattanooga was not as well prepared for you guys and had to make adjustments to win, does not mean that Mercer is better than what their record states. I stand by my post. You guys have played part of several games very well. That doesn't equate being good, or being better than last place.

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
But the point is that you played part of one game really well. That doesn't mean you are a good team. A good team actually wins the game. Because Chattanooga was not as well prepared for you guys and had to make adjustments to win, does not mean that Mercer is better than what their record states. I stand by my post. You guys have played part of several games very well. That doesn't equate being good, or being better than last place.

Hate to see you keep disrespecting Chatt's Team, Players, and Coaches like that...but ROCK ON man!

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 01:16 PM
I'm going with my heart.

Atta guy!

UCMoc
November 3rd, 2014, 01:24 PM
Hate to see you keep disrespecting Chatt's Team, Players, and Coaches like that...but ROCK ON man!

Come on man. You are too rational for this "I know you are but what am I?" BS. You know the point that I am making.

It is not disrespecting them to say that they were unprepared for you guys, adjusted, and then won. Good teams lose to bad teams all the time. There's even a common phrase about it...if only I could remember it...

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 01:33 PM
Come on man. You are too rational for this "I know you are but what am I?" BS. You know the point that I am making.

It is not disrespecting them to say that they were unprepared for you guys, adjusted, and then won. Good teams lose to bad teams all the time. There's even a common phrase about it...if only I could remember it...

I know the point you are trying to make, but Chatt's Coaches, Players, and I don't agree with you. They were not unprepared for Mercer because Coach Huesman and their Sr. Leadership just would not allow that to be the case...and the Mocs were a few inches (translating to 7 points) better than the Bears on that day. A truly good team, which I believe Chatt is, does not lose (or even play close) to a 'so bad' team at this level with that much on the line, ever. So, if you want to say Mercer is a bad team, fine; then you are saying something about YOUR team that I just will not agree with - Chatt is an excellent football team and will make some noise in the playoffs.

UCMoc
November 3rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
I know the point you are trying to make, but Chatt's Coaches, Players, and I don't agree with you. They were not unprepared for Mercer because Coach Huesman and their Sr. Leadership just would not allow that to be the case...and the Mocs were a few inches (translating to 7 points) better than the Bears on that day. A truly good team, which I believe Chatt is, does not lose (or even play close) to a 'so bad' team at this level with that much on the line, ever. So, if you want to say Mercer is a bad team, fine; then you are saying something about YOUR team that I just will not agree with - Chatt is an excellent football team and will make some noise in the playoffs.

Fine. I stand corrected.

You aren't rational.

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 01:45 PM
Fine. I stand corrected.

You aren't rational.

I'll assume the 1st part of your comment refers to your opinion of Mercer's very good Football Team in relation to Chattanooga's excellent Football Team

AND

I take no issue at all with the 2nd part of your comment. In fact, I think you may be approaching ChattTownMocs level of an AGOTO with that comment! xthumbsupx

UCMoc
November 3rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
I'll assume the 1st part of your comment refers to your opinion of Mercer's very good Football Team in relation to Chattanooga's excellent Football Team

AND

I take no issue at all with the 2nd part of your comment. In fact, I think you may be approaching ChattTownMocs level of an AGOTO with that comment! xthumbsupx

STFU.

Sorry. Had to.

utcfan
November 3rd, 2014, 03:14 PM
Mercer played a great game vs UTC. They have the foundation of a solid program, but, in the end, as Bill Parcells said, You are what your record says you are...I expect they will compete for the SoCon on a regular basis in the near future..

MUfan
November 3rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
Mercer played a great game vs UTC. They have the foundation of a solid program, but, in the end, as Bill Parcells said, You are what your record says you are...I expect they will compete for the SoCon on a regular basis in the near future..

I agree.

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 04:02 PM
Mercer played a great game vs UTC. They have the foundation of a solid program, but, in the end, as Bill Parcells said, You are what your record says you are...

Oh, jiminy crickets...another response completely unrelated to the point I am TRYING to make about Chatt. being an Excellent Football Team that would not lose to or even play a very close game with a 'so bad' in-conference team. They are just too well-coached. too motivated to win the SoCon, & too talented for that.

I do take exception with the Big Tuna though. I believe your record is what your record is and that's what is 'should be' because you played the games, but that record is an indicator of how well you played on those days vs. the competition you played. If you string enough of those good days together, you can call yourself a Champion (and you are). If you don't, it doesn't automatically make you 'so bad.' If you get blown out on a bunch of those days and/or execute at a level of ineptitude that is clearly inferior, and/or have a talent deficiency so pronounced that most or all of your opponents are running circles around you...then you can say you are a 'so bad' team. We have seen those teams in the SoCon over the years, right? They are easy to identify, aren't they? Davidson (the latter years) and Marshall were those teams back in my playing days. On the other hand, if you lose several close games to good or excellent teams, it means you are a good team that hasn't learned how to win; which can be as 'fatal' a flaw as being a 'so bad' team and, in the long run, actually, may be less honorable than just being bad...because you are not realizing your potential...which is kinda sinful...help me out on that dungeonjoe.

Again - if it makes you Mocs folks happy to say Mercer is a Bad Team, be my guest to sing it from the highest mountains. I think what that says about the Mocs (and it definitely does say something about them, whether the faithful want to admit it or not) is completely wrong though. Those boys in Blue & Yeller can play!

SH_Moc
November 3rd, 2014, 05:04 PM
I don't think it is disrespecting the UTC coaches or team to say they had an off game defensively versus Mercer. The coaches can tell the kids all day and all night that Mercer is a good team, that is going to be well coached and play hard and isn't going to back down from a fight. If the players don't take that message to heart you end up in a situation in the 4th quarter and you find yourselves scratching and clawing out a victory over a team that probably shouldn't have been that close. You can look at any number of examples when Power 5 teams play lower FBS or even FCS teams and the players take it for granted and next thing you know you have a close ball game. I do think the Mocs were a bit complacent with the Bears and they got punched in the mouth. The good thing about that game is they took that punch and delivered one back.

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 05:27 PM
I don't think it is disrespecting the UTC coaches or team to say they had an off game defensively versus Mercer. The coaches can tell the kids all day and all night that Mercer is a good team, that is going to be well coached and play hard and isn't going to back down from a fight. If the players don't take that message to heart you end up in a situation in the 4th quarter and you find yourselves scratching and clawing out a victory over a team that probably shouldn't have been that close. You can look at any number of examples when Power 5 teams play lower FBS or even FCS teams and the players take it for granted and next thing you know you have a close ball game. I do think the Mocs were a bit complacent with the Bears and they got punched in the mouth. The good thing about that game is they took that punch and delivered one back.

I was talking about their post-game comments after playing Mercer; not the typical coach-speak pre-game warnings before playing a bad team...

If you think the Mocs came out complacent in the Mercer game, then I think YOU must feel that YOU have a lot to worry about moving forward. I don't think they did; so I don't think the Mocs will have a problem being 'up' for any important games, just as they were up for an important conference game vs. Mercer 2 weeks ago. Yes, as you said - The Bears did come out strong and then the Mocs battled back, demonstrating what an explosive offense they have (as they did again last week vs. WCU, to even greater effect), and took a commanding 3 score lead. Surely, you aren't going to claim that Mocs' 'complacency' was again the reason Mercer was able to close that gap and just miss the tying (or go-ahead) score by inches (2x) with a few minutes left in the game. You have to think more of your Team than that, don't you? I can't imagine that a Championship-caliber Team would allow a bad team to get the jump on them in the 1st quarter, battle back, take a 3 score lead, and then allow that bad team right back in the game in the 4th quarter. Chattanooga has clearly demonstrated to me, on the field, that they are a Championship-caliber team. If you think that they can both be a Championship-caliber Team and allow a 'so bad' team to beat them out of the gate and then come back from far behind to almost win in the 4th quarter....I just don't know what to say. Either Chatt. is nothing but a Pretender (and my opinion is they are NOT) OR Mercer is not a 'so bad' team...based on the game they played against each other (and the results of other games this season, if you want to expand the scope of this discussion). It has to be one or the other.

Toby
November 3rd, 2014, 05:32 PM
Please find where I said that. In fact, please find where I said anything else at all in this thread. Go ahead...I'll wait.

Sorry, all you Moc fans look and sound alike :) ….. The earlier comment was intended for SH_MOC with whom you agreed.

Toby
November 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
. Either Chatt. is nothing but a Pretender (and my opinion is they are NOT) OR Mercer is not a 'so bad' team...based on the game they played against each other (and the results of other games this season, if you want to expand the scope of this discussion). It has to be one or the other.

FUBeAR - I think it is obvious that they would rather diss Mercer than laud UTC.

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 05:55 PM
FUBeAR - I think it is obvious that they would rather diss Mercer than laud UTC.

I know...it's strange when the fans of an opposing team think more of their team than their own fans do. As the Mocs Fans were fretting their upcoming game with WCU last week, I posted Tuesday on their FanBoard that they had nothing to fear; that they were easily 3 scores better than WCU. I didn't want to torque off the WCU fans too much by posting what I really thought the difference in the score would be. ["Mercer sux/We beat you" comment from WCU fans coming in 5...4....3....wait for it]

SH_Moc
November 3rd, 2014, 05:55 PM
I was talking about their post-game comments after playing Mercer; not the typical coach-speak pre-game warnings before playing a bad team...

If you think the Mocs came out complacent in the Mercer game, then I think YOU must feel that YOU have a lot to worry about moving forward. I don't think they did; so I don't think the Mocs will have a problem being 'up' for any important games, just as they were up for an important conference game vs. Mercer 2 weeks ago. Yes, as you said - The Bears did come out strong and then the Mocs battled back, demonstrating what an explosive offense they have (as they did again last week vs. WCU, to even greater effect), and took a commanding 3 score lead. Surely, you aren't going to claim that Mocs' 'complacency' was again the reason Mercer was able to close that gap and just miss the tying (or go-ahead) score by inches (2x) with a few minutes left in the game. You have to think more of your Team than that, don't you? I can't imagine that a Championship-caliber Team would allow a bad team to get the jump on them in the 1st quarter, battle back, take a 3 score lead, and then allow that bad team right back in the game in the 4th quarter. Chattanooga has clearly demonstrated to me, on the field, that they are a Championship-caliber team. If you think that they can both be a Championship-caliber Team and allow a 'so bad' team to beat them out of the gate and then come back from far behind to almost win in the 4th quarter....I just don't know what to say. Either Chatt. is nothing but a Pretender (and my opinion is they are NOT) OR Mercer is not a 'so bad' team...based on the game they played against each other (and the results of other games this season, if you want to expand the scope of this discussion). It has to be one or the other.

I was impressed with the effort Mercer gave in the game against Chattanooga. When the Mocs went up by 21 I figured the game was over and UTC was going to walk away with a decisive win. Lo and behold Mercer fought their way back in the game.

You keep talking about coaches and players giving praise to Mercer after the game and those were well deserved. And you use those quotes to justify your stance that Mercer right now is a team that is only 7 points out of being in contention with the Conference favorite. I contend that the Mocs defense played a terrible game some which was due to Mercer, but more I believe was due to lack of intensity and not preparing like they should have for that opponent that week. If you want to use post game comments as a judge of performance, Coach Huesman stated that was one of the worst defensive showings that Chattanooga has had in his six years. He said that he was going to make sure his defense was to learn their lesson at practice to not underestimate an opponent. His anger wasn't because his defense was matched up against a team that he felt was in the same class as them, he was angry because he knew his defense should not have allowed Mercer to be in that ballgame.

I think Mercer is a decent team, not a bad team, but also not a good team. Not yet. They have yet to beat a good team, losing close to Chattanooga, WCU and Citadel doesn't equate to being there just yet.

FUBeAR
November 3rd, 2014, 05:58 PM
I think Mercer is a decent team, not a bad team, but also not a good team. Not yet. They have yet to beat a good team, losing close to Chattanooga, Samford [FUBeAR added], WCU, FU (before 'the fall')[FUBeAR added], and Citadel doesn't equate to being there just yet.

I'll take it and I do not (strongly) disagree. My work is done here.

SH_Moc
November 3rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
I know...it's strange when the fans of an opposing team think more of their team than their own fans do. As the Mocs Fans were fretting their upcoming game with WCU last week, I posted Tuesday on their FanBoard that they had nothing to fear; that they were easily 3 scores better than WCU. I didn't want to torque off the WCU fans too much by posting what I really thought the difference in the score would be. ["Mercer sux/We beat you" comment from WCU fans coming in 5...4....3....wait for it]

As I posted in the Chattanooga vs. WCU thread I was not nervous about the Catamounts. I figured it would be a 2 - 3 TD margin. I am more concerned about Wofford because Mike Ayers always gives Chattanooga fits....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by chattanoogamocs http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2168063#post2168063)
After watching the Mocs lose so many close "get over the hump" games over the last few years...outside of APSU and VMI, every game makes me nervous.

Here is another chance.

...at least it's never boring. :)

I am not nervous, I am excited. I think that the Mocs will go up to Cullowhee and take care of business this weekend. I am more nervous about the Wofford game than the Catamounts. I think this match up plays into the strength of UTC's defense.

SH_Moc
November 3rd, 2014, 06:07 PM

I don't think I will be a big fan of Mercer. They will be challenging the Mocs in both football and basketball for conference championships. Also they will be going head to head for recruits in North Georgia, which has been so good to Chattanooga. With Mercer and ETSU I will have my conference hate quotient filled. That is something that has been missing for us Mocs fans of late. We have not had a true conference rival. I think Mercer will fill that gap. So I will get my licks in now while Mercer is getting their legs under them.

Mocs123
November 3rd, 2014, 06:25 PM
I too think Chattanooga-Mercer has the chance to be a great rivalry which is good for both schools. I am not sure about most schools but I think our biggest bad-blood rivalry game has been Jacksonville St. during Huesman's time in Chattanooga and it would be great to have one in our own conference.

Before Huesman came to Chattanooga, our biggest rival would have to have been Western because we were competing to not be the bottom feeder of the conference. Both teams are leaps and bounds better then they were then.

ElCid
November 3rd, 2014, 06:30 PM
I too think Chattanooga-Mercer has the chance to be a great rivalry which is good for both schools. I am not sure about most schools but I think our biggest bad-blood rivalry game has been Jacksonville St. during Huesman's time in Chattanooga and it would be great to have one in our own conference.

Before Huesman came to Chattanooga, our biggest rival would have to have been Western because we were competing to not be the bottom feeder of the conference. Both teams are leaps and bounds better then they were then.

I actually like the way Mercer has stomped into the SOCON. Lots of opportunities to be someone's rival as a result. Good for the game.

utcfan
November 3rd, 2014, 06:48 PM
Chattanooga
5-0

6-3

3-1
3-2
0-0
Won 3

Western Carolina
4-1

6-3

4-1
2-2
0-0
Lost 1

Wofford
3-1

5-3

4-0
1-3
0-0
Won 2

Samford
3-2

5-3

4-1
1-2
0-0
Won 2

The Citadel
1-3

3-6

2-2
1-4
0-0
Won 1

Furman
1-3

2-7

1-3
1-4
0-0
Lost 7

VMI
1-4

2-8

2-2
0-6
0-0
Won 1

Mercer
1-5

5-5

3-3
2-2
0-0
Lost 3

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2014, 06:57 PM
SoCon Rankings

Coaches Poll
11. Chattanooga

Sports Network Poll
13. Chattanooga
39. Western Carolina
40. Samford
42. Wofford

AGS Poll
14. Chattanooga
39. Western Carolina

Massey Composite Index
13. Chattanooga
37. Samford
43. Western Carolina
46. Wofford
56. The Citadel
76. Mercer
87. Furman
100. VMI

Catamount87
November 4th, 2014, 09:51 AM
The rivalry topic is an interesting one, the SoCon really needs to have new rivalries develop and grow. They'll help fuel greater interest, support and recognition for the league and all the members. With ETSU coming back into the SoCon and UTC and WCU greatly improved in football, a core regional rivalry can grow around the mountains to compliment the regional one in SC.

citdog
November 4th, 2014, 09:53 AM
The rivalry topic is an interesting one, the SoCon really needs to have new rivalries develop and grow. They'll help fuel greater interest, support and recognition for the league and all the members. With ETSU coming back into the SoCon and UTC and WCU greatly improved in football, a core regional rivalry can grow around the mountains to compliment the regional one in SC.

Must be sad to have no rival. WCU really didn't have one even when they did because they couldn't beat appy. Having two AGAIN is really sweet!

Catamount87
November 4th, 2014, 09:59 AM
WCU and App were rivals in every sport, baseball and Track and Field have some heated ones. Sadly, we didn't keep up our end of the bargain on football. BUT, the WCU/App game still accounts for 2 of their top 10 largest football crowds. Interestingly, the only other SoCon team to appear more than once in their top 10 crowds, The Citadel.

FUBeAR
November 4th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I said I wasn't going to do a PowerRanking this week cuz the Bears are off...but that also means I'm 'free' to do some prediculatin'....and I'm gonna be candid...which may make some folks a little tweaked off...sorry...

Predictions

FU @ El Cid - Man, I hate to think about feeling like I lost to the Bellhops 2x in one season & in back-to-back weeks, but that's what I think is gonna happen. FU has not made any strides in fixing their O. The FR QB is gonna be good, but in watching the VMI game (1st half was all I watched), he doesn't seem to have the passing game dialed in just yet and the WR's are showing their frustration with that (body language). They should be able to run the ball better than they are because they do have talent in the OL & at RB, but I think the OL doesn't seem to be in synch - understandable with the # of players they've used in there and the way they've moved 'em around, but they seem to be coming off the ball 'like popcorn' and not working together or really ATTACKING the D. Besides, El Cid's run D is stronger than their pass D and I think they will stone the Paladins, unless something changes since last week. On the other side of the ball, stopping the T/O with safeties that haven't seen it and who have hardly seen the field is going to be tough. Saw some bad body language on the field vs. VMI on FU's D as well. When that D (before the injuris) goes ALL OUT every play, they are a Top 10 D...when they don't (and they didn't appear to be vs. VMI), they are just average, at best. Callin' it, sadly, Bellhops 35 - 'Dins 6

Western Carolina @ Samford - Cinderella gets 'mishandled' (euphemism - insert your own word(s)) again by the Bulldogs. I think the Cat's QB scrambling and throwing screens|hitches or semi-rainbows to their shifty or tall WR's (respectively) are the only truly dangerous weapons in their offense. Sammy's LB's and DB's are fast and good enough to neutralize this and their DL is good enough to stop their (IMHO, remember) anemic running game. On the other side of the ball, Sammy's WR's are good enough to exploit WCU's CB's and the Sammy QB proved vs. FU that he can get the ball down the field to those guys. Sammy can also run it well enough vs. WCU's D to keep 'em honest, but their production will be through the air. Clock strikes midnight again - Sammy 42 - Cats 14

Wofford @ Chattanooga - Gonna hold my keyboard back a bit on this one cuz I still haven't seen Woffy play much. I do know Chatt's AWESOME DL and athletic LB's were able to neutralize El Cid's TO offense and have heard Woffy has shown some weakness vs. the pass. JHuesman and the Mocs D make the ankle-biters pay, but Woffy does score some points. Chatt 49 - Woffy 24

chattanoogamocs
November 4th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Just from the fans I know, I am not WCU will ever be that much of a deep rivalry (I know they are searching, because their rival left them). I just don't feel like there is that much in common. ASU was a great rival because they were both pretty close by, in-state, and both small mountain communities...commonality is a big component in rivalries. UTC is a metropolitan school and outside of the Carolina's...Chattanooga has always kind of felt like they were on the outside looking in (the biggest reason so many UTC fans wanted to go to the OVC was because they thought there would be a much better chance to develop rivalries). I think Samford has slowly developed into somewhat of a rival (mainly because of proximity...not only distance wise, but moreso being an "western outlier" with conference proper) and obviously there is a huge rivalry with ETSU...school profiles are nearly identical in size and scope...and the only 2 Tennessee schools in the conference.

I think there are two types of rivalries...there are old school deep rooted rivalries and there are "in the moment" rivalries. I think UTC and WCU can easily develop an "in the moment" rivalry if both their football teams continue to progress. The best example of WCU and UTC being in the moment rivals is women's basketball. When they were both really good, it was a rivalry, but after Dunkenberger and Harper left and WCU dropped off, it went away...then it was ASU for a while...and Samford. It's no different than Davidson and UTC in men's basketball, for a while there was heat and a rivalry, but when UTC went down, it went away. Conversely, ETSU and UTC could both have one win...but if it was over the other school, you still had something to crow about.

None of this is meant as any type of insult to any school mentioned. It is what it is...you can't force a rivalry. It has to develop naturally...and some rivalries are deep and long (VMI/Citadel) and some are just whoever are the two best teams at the moment. All that being said, if two teams who aren't traditional rivals both stay good for a long period of time, it can turn into a rivalry, best example of that would be ASU/GSU in football. Normally those two wouldn't be big rivals, but the fact they duked it out for SoCon titles for the better part of 20 years, made it a rivalry.

I went up to Cullowhee on Saturday...it was nice, even with the chilly weather.

AshevilleApp2
November 4th, 2014, 01:19 PM
WCU and App were rivals in every sport, baseball and Track and Field have some heated ones. Sadly, we didn't keep up our end of the bargain on football. BUT, the WCU/App game still accounts for 2 of their top 10 largest football crowds. Interestingly, the only other SoCon team to appear more than once in their top 10 crowds, The Citadel.

We brought them in for Homecoming.

OL FU
November 4th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Just from the fans I know, I am not WCU will ever be that much of a deep rivalry (I know they are searching, because their rival left them). I just don't feel like there is that much in common. ASU was a great rival because they were both pretty close by, in-state, and both small mountain communities...commonality is a big component in rivalries. UTC is a metropolitan school and outside of the Carolina's...Chattanooga has always kind of felt like they were on the outside looking in (the biggest reason so many UTC fans wanted to go to the OVC was because they thought there would be a much better chance to develop rivalries). I think Samford has slowly developed into somewhat of a rival (mainly because of proximity...not only distance wise, but moreso being an "western outlier" with conference proper) and obviously there is a huge rivalry with ETSU...school profiles are nearly identical in size and scope...and the only 2 Tennessee schools in the conference.

I think there are two types of rivalries...there are old school deep rooted rivalries and there are "in the moment" rivalries. I think UTC and WCU can easily develop an "in the moment" rivalry if both their football teams continue to progress. The best example of WCU and UTC being in the moment rivals is women's basketball. When they were both really good, it was a rivalry, but after Dunkenberger and Harper left and WCU dropped off, it went away...then it was ASU for a while...and Samford. It's no different than Davidson and UTC in men's basketball, for a while there was heat and a rivalry, but when UTC went down, it went away. Conversely, ETSU and UTC could both have one win...but if it was over the other school, you still had something to crow about.

None of this is meant as any type of insult to any school mentioned. It is what it is...you can't force a rivalry. It has to develop naturally...and some rivalries are deep and long (VMI/Citadel) and some are just whoever are the two best teams at the moment. All that being said, if two teams who aren't traditional rivals both stay good for a long period of time, it can turn into a rivalry, best example of that would be ASU/GSU in football. Normally those two wouldn't be big rivals, but the fact they duked it out for SoCon titles for the better part of 20 years, made it a rivalry.

I very much agree with you. 10 years ago you ask a Georgia Southern fan who their rival was and the majority would have said Furman. Ask them last year and only the old schooler's like me would have said Furman. Exactly for the reason you mentioned above. With the start the two schools had in playing each other and then both being very good for a long period of time, the rivalry was strong. Then when both fell off at the same time in the later 00's, while a rivalry still existed, it just wasn't the same.

On the other hand, there is the Citadelxmadxxmadx

citdog
November 4th, 2014, 02:43 PM
We brought them in for Homecoming.

And got beat 52-28

chattanoogamocs
November 4th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I very much agree with you. 10 years ago you ask a Georgia Southern fan who their rival was and the majority would have said Furman. Ask them last year and only the old schooler's like me would have said Furman. Exactly for the reason you mentioned above. With the start the two schools had in playing each other and then both being very good for a long period of time, the rivalry was strong. Then when both fell off at the same time in the later 00's, while a rivalry still existed, it just wasn't the same.

On the other hand, there is the Citadelxmadxxmadx

I think part of the reason UC/UTC has never had many rivals is because for so long their were an independent nomad. The Mocs have played football for over 110 years, but doesn't have any schools they have played more than about 40-50 times. If you went just by games played, UTK would be one of the Mocs biggest rivals (and until this year, they hadn't played them since 1969).

The Cats
November 4th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I didn't want to torque off the WCU fans too much by posting what I really thought the difference in the score would be. ["Mercer sux/We beat you" comment from WCU fans coming in 5...4....3....wait for it]

Actually, we don't take the comments to seriously from fans whose school has a 1-5 conference record. A record that is worse than both Furman and VMI.

So keep on telling everyone Mercer shoulda/coulda/woulda won all your conference games, if that makes you feel better.
That's why we play the games, and that's why they keep score.

ElCid
November 4th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Yes it is a rivalry of sorts, but not the typical rivalry. More like two brothers fighting. Beat the crap out of each other, but knowing there is a deep kinship and not loathing. Unlike say, ... Furman. Or more appropriately Wofford in the recent past. That game has become an obsession lately. When I was a cadet in the early 80s it was Furman we hated most. And they were always the last game of the year. That has wore off a little since then. But I still hate them.:D

chattanoogamocs
November 4th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Yes it is a rivalry of sorts, but not the typical rivalry. More like two brothers fighting. Beat the crap out of each other, but knowing there is a deep kinship and not loathing. Unlike say, ... Furman. Or more appropriately Wofford in the recent past. That game has become an obsession lately. When I was a cadet in the early 80s it was Furman we hated most. And they were always the last game of the year. That has wore off a little since then. But I still hate them.:D

That is another breakdown in the hierarchy of rivalries...there are one's that are based solely on animosity (you can stand them and want to whip their ass) and other based on mutual respect or kinship (like siblings and you want to whip their ass). :)

Some rivalries are based on one team/fans being a bunch of inbred moronic arrogant jackholes....cough, cough...Marshall.

It will be interesting to see what the ETSU rivalry is like...in the 80's and 90's we hates those guys and vice versa...I mean come on, one of our players punch a cheerleader (really more a shove to the face :) ...and she was saying some very unkind things during the game)...but after they lost their football team, I actually felt sorry for them and the ****ty job the AD/President did with the program (you know, "I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy"). I signed petitions to help get the program back...and get them back to the SoCon. I still want to see the Mocs beat them in every sports, but some of that "hate" has dissipated. Ironically, I think is some ways their fans might hate UTC more, because we didn't get shoved into the ASun and instead of dropping football, the Mocs actually turned it around (Mullins was up there telling everyone that Chattanooga was next in dropping football).

FUBeAR
November 4th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Actually, we don't take the comments to seriously from fans whose school has a 1-5 conference record.

So keep on telling everyone Mercer shoulda/coulda/woulda won all your conference games

You are the only one I see that keeps talking about "shoulda" and, I wholeheartedly agree, it's always an invalid 'claim' in this context....

Coulda/Woulda, which can virtually be interchanged (with the exception that 'woulda' implies more certainty or finality and, therefore, might be a bit less valid unless the woulda comment applies to a situation where the clock reads 00:00), is different than shoulda. Coulda or Woulda, typically, mean that a team was in the game with a chance to win and can certainly give rise to valid comments. For example, "Ole Miss coulda beat Auburn last week if that ball had just crossed the goal line" is a valid statement. Or "Ole Miss woulda won if that ball had just crossed the goal line" is also reasonably valid. On the other hand, "Ole Miss shoulda won because they have prettier coeds than Auburn" is not.

Woulda or Coulda CAN be misused as well though, if applied in completely unrealistic situations. For example, "WCU woulda won last week if their team showed up" is not valid. Nor would "WCU coulda won last week if their players weren't doing so much trash-talking to UTC's players before the game," be a valid claim.

And...do you really use the record of the team that someone supports to evaluate the validity of their opinions and/or comments? Interesting methodology you have there. I'm guessing you view Harvey Updyke, Jr. as your Oracle of Football Knowledge then. If that works for you, man, run with it!

And2...it must have been a very, very hard 8 years for you, not being able to take yourself seriously all that time. I'm feelin' for you and I understand your need to lash out.

Year
WCU SoCon Record
Rank

0–7
8th

0–7
8th

1–7
8th

1–7
9th

1–7
8th

0–8
9th

0–8
9th

1–7
8th

citdog
November 4th, 2014, 06:17 PM
You are the only one I see that keeps talking about "shoulda" and, I wholeheartedly agree, it's always an invalid 'claim' in this context....

Coulda/Woulda, which can virtually be interchanged (with the exception that 'woulda' implies more certainty or finality and, therefore, might be a bit less valid unless the woulda comment applies to a situation where the clock reads 00:00), is different than shoulda. Coulda or Woulda, typically, mean that a team was in the game with a chance to win and can certainly give rise to valid comments. For example, "Ole Miss coulda beat Auburn last week if that ball had just crossed the goal line" is a valid statement. Or "Ole Miss woulda won if that ball had just crossed the goal line" is also reasonably valid. On the other hand, "Ole Miss shoulda won because they have prettier coeds than Auburn" is not.

Woulda or Coulda CAN be misused as well though, if applied in completely unrealistic situations. For example, "WCU woulda won last week if their team showed up" is not valid. Nor would "WCU coulda won last week if their players weren't doing so much trash-talking to UTC's players before the game," be a valid claim.

And...do you really use the record of the team that someone supports to evaluate the validity of their opinions and/or comments? Interesting methodology you have there. I'm guessing you view Harvey Updyke, Jr. as your Oracle of Football Knowledge then. If that works for you, man, run with it!

And2...it must have been a very, very hard 8 years for you, not being able to take yourself seriously all that time. I'm feelin' for you and I understand your need to lash out.

Year
WCU SoCon Record
Rank

0–7
8th

0–7
8th

1–7
8th

1–7
9th

1–7
8th

0–8
9th

0–8
9th

1–7
8th

DAMN in 8 seasons Mercer only won 4 less SoCon Games than Western Carolina. Granted Mercer didn't field a team........

DP_ASU
November 4th, 2014, 06:52 PM

Year
WCU SoCon Record
Rank

0–7
8th

0–7
8th

1–7
8th

1–7
9th

1–7
8th

0–8
9th

0–8
9th

1–7
8th

Smackdown.

The Cats
November 5th, 2014, 07:31 AM

That was hardly a lash out... just a reply to your countdown - but call it what you will, whatever makes you feel better about your team.

It's also been hard for a lot longer than 8 years for Catamount fans, but hopefully that's behind us now.

The Cats
November 5th, 2014, 07:34 AM
DAMN in 8 seasons Mercer only won 4 less SoCon Games than Western Carolina. Granted Mercer didn't field a team........

You pile on nicely. I guess you need something in your life.

Catamount87
November 5th, 2014, 07:46 AM
1-5. Be careful not to throw stones in your glass house.

Year
WCU SoCon Record
Rank

0–7
8th

0–7
8th

1–7
8th

1–7
9th

1–7
8th

0–8
9th

0–8
9th

1–7
8th

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2014, 08:39 AM
whatever makes you feel better about your team.

It's also been hard for a lot longer than 8 years for Catamount fans

Certainly do not need any interaction with nor validation from you to be very, very proud of the Mercer Bears Football Program, Players, and Coaches. Nothing you could(a?) post or say will increase nor decrease that pride.

I'm sorry that you have had to feel so un-proud of WCU Football for so long and were so "Utterly Embarrassed" of them again last Saturday. Well, to be completely accurate, I don't know if you, personally, were "Utterly Embarrassed." I'm just borrowing that sentiment from a WCU fan's message thread title on a site, ironically, called "Catamount Pride."

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2014, 08:50 AM
1-5. Be careful not to throw stones in your glass house.

So...you're saying if someone throws a stone at my house...

Actually, we don't take the comments to seriously from fans whose school has a 1-5 conference record. A record that is worse than both Furman and VMI.

So keep on telling everyone Mercer shoulda/coulda/woulda won all your conference games, if that makes you feel better.
That's why we play the games, and that's why they keep score.

...that I should not throw it back. I should, instead, use it and start to build a better house. I like it. I will work on that starting on 11/23...maybe.

Catamount87
November 5th, 2014, 09:45 AM
"...build a better house." That's a great comment and attitude.

Y'all are clearly putting in a good foundation. Sure the Bears are 1-5 this year and yes, there is a lot of shoulda/coulda/woulda to the season. The potential there. At some point, in probably the not too distant future, that Bear is going to bite a few teams that have turned their nose up at it and disrespected it. Honestly, of all the people that get this, it should be my fellow Catamounts.

Smitty
November 5th, 2014, 01:07 PM
1) UTC
2) WCU
3) Samford
4) Wofford
5) Citadel
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Furman

UTC vs Wofford
Citadel vs Furman
Samford vs WCU

All upsets this week!

Toby
November 5th, 2014, 01:17 PM
"Ole Miss ......because they have prettier coeds than Auburn"

Might have to challenge that presupposition. At least it would make for an interesting "playoff" competition. :)

Toby
November 5th, 2014, 01:33 PM
"...build a better house." That's a great comment and attitude.

Y'all are clearly putting in a good foundation. Sure the Bears are 1-5 this year and yes, there is a lot of shoulda/coulda/woulda to the season. The potential there. At some point, in probably the not too distant future, that Bear is going to bite a few teams that have turned their nose up at it and disrespected it. Honestly, of all the people that get this, it should be my fellow Catamounts.

I think the one thing that WCU fans and Mercer fans can agree on is that both programs have greatly exceeded almost all expectations this year. If we did a SoCon poll on that issue it would be close or at least a tie at the top between which has had the better (most improved) year. That being said, both programs need to continue to improve as expectation have been raised. Mercer has been in and more than competitive in all their games this year but have fallen short of their goal. WCU has greatly improved from their long suffering position, but the UTC game showed that they too have fallen short of their goal.

The SoCon desperately needs both of these programs to improve (as well as others) so this year has been a strong positive momentum boost in that regard. But to sustain the momentum each needs a lot more work.

Toby
November 5th, 2014, 01:37 PM
1) UTC
2) WCU
3) Samford
4) Wofford
5) Citadel
6) Mercer
7) VMI
8) Furman

UTC vs Wofford
Citadel vs Furman
Samford vs WCU

All upsets this week!

If WCU winning is an upset, shouldn't you have Samford ranked #2?

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Furman released their game notes for the Citadel contest.

Identifies 22 players that have played/started/on 2 deep that have missed time this season. 2 other players that were injured last season and have not recovered. 3 others dismissed from the team.

That is 27 players that actually contribute for Furman that have missed time in 2014. Over 42% of an FCS's allotted 63 scholarships. 16 of those 27 players have missed 3 games or more.

8 of those players are listed as either S/NIC. 6 are OL. Furman goes into this week's game with two substitutes on the OL. One guy backs up the two tackles, the other backs up the guards and center.

I don't think I have ever seen anything like that.

citdog
November 5th, 2014, 02:21 PM

Identifies 22 players that have played/started/on 2 deep that have missed time this season. 2 other players that were injured last season and have not recovered. 3 others dismissed from the team.

That is 27 players that actually contribute for Furman that have missed time in 2014. Over 42% of an FCS's allotted 63 scholarships. 16 of those 27 players have missed 3 games or more.

8 of those players are listed as either S/NIC. 6 are OL. Furman goes into this week's game with two substitutes on the OL. One guy backs up the two tackles, the other backs up the guards and center.

http://loldamn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/funny-gif-man-crying-tears.gif

OL FU
November 5th, 2014, 02:24 PM
http://loldamn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/funny-gif-man-crying-tears.gif

Yeah the problem with putting that in the game release is it sounds like we are making excuses before we play. xbawlingx

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I'm still trying to figure out under what justification people are ranking Samford ahead of Wofford.

CID1990
November 5th, 2014, 02:41 PM

dont recruit china dolls then

injuries are part of the game

The Cats
November 5th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Certainly do not need any interaction with nor validation from you to be very, very proud of the Mercer Bears Football Program, Players, and Coaches. Nothing you could(a?) post or say will increase nor decrease that pride.

Please point out the time I said or implied you needed validation from me about anything to do with Mercer.
If I were in your shoes, I too would be proud of what Mercer has accomplished in the year and a half they have played football. I've only commented about some of your over the top comments, but never belittled your team.

I'm sorry that you have had to feel so un-proud of WCU Football for so long and were so "Utterly Embarrassed" of them again last Saturday. Well, to be completely accurate, I don't know if you, personally, were "Utterly Embarrassed." I'm just borrowing that sentiment from a WCU fan's message thread title on a site, ironically, called "Catamount Pride."

I post with the same moniker on all the boards in which I'm a member. I am a member of the Catamount Pride board, and if you can find on that or any other board where I said I was "Utterly Embarrassed" or even "moderately embarrassed" in connection to Western Carolina, please post it here for all to see, and I DAMN WELL NEVER said I was "un-proud of WCU football". In our worst seasons, I was/am proud of the Catamounts - I've supported and will continue to support them through thick & thin.

So, Please don't "borrow sentiment" from other posters and apply them to me - I've never done that to you or any of your Mercer friends. I can no more control what some people post on a board, than you can.

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Also, when it comes to rivals (and I may be late to the conversation on this), it's all about parity and perception.

I think a good example of this would be Wofford and Gardner Webb. GW has beaten us the last 2 years. As a Wofford fan, I don't consider them a rival, but if we don't get back into the habit of beating them on a regular basis (regardless of how good/not good they are), we will be.

If you're a Wofford fan, our biggest rival is Furman, but for the longest time they viewed us in the same way we view GW...not a rival, but when they beat us, it's because we're down and not good, not the other way around.

Or, look at the Citadel and Wofford. 17 years ago, if you asked any of the bellhop faithful if they considered Wofford a rival, they would have laughed at your face. Now, having gone 0-16 the last 16 tries, especially games like the one that happened this year, I think it's safe to say we're rivals.

But, even with that said, Furman has not been playing on a consistently high level in the last 10 years as Wofford. The same with the Citadel. Honestly, from a statistical and emotional level, GSU was the best rival Wofford had since being in the Socon; we were consistently competitve. Even App State pretty much had our number in that period, we only beat them something like 5 times or so, and the most consistent memory I (and everyone else) had was them having our number in a major way when conference championships were on the line.

But, App State and GSU are gone now. To be quite honest Samford is probably our most consistent current rival now looking back at it.

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Yeah the problem with putting that in the game release is it sounds like we are making excuses before we play. xbawlingx

I certainly don't think it is making an excuse so much as offering an explanation to the fan base of what is going on.

The Citadel has the inglorious distinction of being the only team we beat last year that did not see a healthy Reese Hannon. We beat them with a plug and play roster last year, no reason we cannot do it again this go around.

walliver
November 5th, 2014, 02:53 PM

Were you here last year when GSU fans posted the same type of posts repeatedly.:D

Over and over and over and over and ...

citdog
November 5th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Were you here last year when GSU fans posted the same type of posts repeatedly.:D

Over and over and over and over and ...

and appy st guys claiming they redshirted 36,0000 players

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I post with the same moniker on all the boards in which I'm a member....if you can find on...any other board where I said I was...embarrassed in connection to Western Carolina, please post it here for all to see

The Cats (http://catamount.boards.net/user/2)
Athletic Director
http://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.pnghttp://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.pnghttp://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.pnghttp://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.pnghttp://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8107/8589477223_2dd8887ec4_t.jpg

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/customavatars/avatar2436_8.gif

aka - Jerry Love
Member is Online

Appalachian State (http://catamount.boards.net/thread/6126/appalachian-state)May 4, 2014 at 1:07pm
Quote (http://catamount.boards.net/post/20735/quote/6126)http://images.proboards.com/v5/icon-like-button.png (http://catamount.boards.net/search/results?what_at_least_one=embarrass&who_only_made_by=0&display_as=0#)http://images.proboards.com/v5/icon-options.png

Post by The Cats on May 4, 2014 at 1:07pm

Sunday's game is about to start, and again, problems with the camera operator and the audio.

What an overall poor and negative reflection the all-access video feeds are for Western Carolina. I hope no one from ASU paid for this even, it's an embarrassment.

Well, that took about 30 secords to find, as requested. Next challenge?

citdog
November 5th, 2014, 03:08 PM
I certainly don't think it is making an excuse so much as offering an explanation to the fan base of what is going on.

The Citadel has the inglorious distinction of being the only team we beat last year that did not see a healthy Reese Hannon. We beat them with a plug and play roster last year, no reason we cannot do it again this go around.

The Citadel and the word inglorious should NEVER be used in the same paragraph much less the same sentence. Perhaps all these injuries have occurred because furman renounced Jesus in the pursuit of money and more yankee students.

citdog
November 5th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Athletic Director
http://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.pnghttp://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.pnghttp://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.pnghttp://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.pnghttp://images.proboards.com/v5/stars/star_blue.png

aka - Jerry Love
Member is Online

Appalachian State (http://catamount.boards.net/thread/6126/appalachian-state)May 4, 2014 at 1:07pm
Quote (http://catamount.boards.net/post/20735/quote/6126)http://images.proboards.com/v5/icon-like-button.png (http://catamount.boards.net/search/results?what_at_least_one=embarrass&who_only_made_by=0&display_as=0#)http://images.proboards.com/v5/icon-options.png

Sunday's game is about to start, and again, problems with the camera operator and the audio.

What an overall poor and negative reflection the all-access video feeds are for Western Carolina. I hope no one from ASU paid for this even, it's an embarrassment.

http://lisalynn1975.tripod.com/Scooby/ruhroh.gif

walliver
November 5th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Power Poll:

1) Chattanooga - results on the field
2) Wofford - playing better every week, but starting QB may not be back this weekend.
3) WCU - unexpected beatdown will test the mettle of this team.
4) Samford - playing better football, and a formidable opponent to anyone in the conference
5) The Citadel - Should win 2 of the next three
6) Mercer - losing, but keeping 'em close
7) VMI - probably won't beat FU again for two decades, but celebrating this week
8) ETSU - kickoffs in 9 months (21 months for SoCon)
NR) Furman - As much fun as it is to kick them when their down, it's just not as much fun when the team is in this kind of shape.

Predictions:
Furman at the Citadel - FU will have a plan, but I doubt they have the horses to win this game. Bullpups 35-10
Western Carolina at Samford - WCU has manufactured their own breaks for much of this year, but Samford plays clean and pulls out a 28-24 win.
Wofford at Chattanooga - Maybe a Homer pick, and playing at Chatty for 2d year in a row doesn't help, but T-Dogs get redemption for last year 31-28

Playoff Prediction:
Chattanooga gets auto-bid and that is it.
Even in a three-way tie, Wofford would have to beat Chatty by 26 or more to win the "points allowed" tiebreaker (and that isn't going to happen). UTC would have to give up 55 points for Western to win the tiebreaker. WCU's only real chance at autobid is for UTC to lose this weekend and against Furman. Both WC and WCU seem to have scheduled themselves out of an at-large ... but, the only thing that can be definitively stated about "The Committee" is that they do at least one unexpected thing every year.

The Cats
November 5th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Athletic Director

aka - Jerry Love
Member is Online

WOW, you really got me - there was a very poor video quality feed - so I guess I'm a bad Catamount fan. But it was the audio feed, NOT anything to do with the football team or program.

Better keep looking. Check out the Pride board, I've posted there longer, as well as AGS and CSF board. Also, check out the ASU board, GSU board, Furman board, Wofford & Chattanooga boards, as well as the Elon board, Charleston board, The Citadel Board, ETSU board.... and your very own board.

chattanoogamocs
November 5th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Power Poll:

1) Chattanooga - results on the field
2) Wofford - playing better every week, but starting QB may not be back this weekend.
3) WCU - unexpected beatdown will test the mettle of this team.
4) Samford - playing better football, and a formidable opponent to anyone in the conference
5) The Citadel - Should win 2 of the next three
6) Mercer - losing, but keeping 'em close
7) VMI - probably won't beat FU again for two decades, but celebrating this week
8) ETSU - kickoffs in 9 months (21 months for SoCon)
NR) Furman - As much fun as it is to kick them when their down, it's just not as much fun when the team is in this kind of shape.

Predictions:
Furman at the Citadel - FU will have a plan, but I doubt they have the horses to win this game. Bullpups 35-10
Western Carolina at Samford - WCU has manufactured their own breaks for much of this year, but Samford plays clean and pulls out a 28-24 win.
Wofford at Chattanooga - Maybe a Homer pick, and playing at Chatty for 2d year in a row doesn't help, but T-Dogs get redemption for last year 31-28

Playoff Prediction:
Chattanooga gets auto-bid and that is it.
Even in a three-way tie, Wofford would have to beat Chatty by 26 or more to win the "points allowed" tiebreaker (and that isn't going to happen). UTC would have to give up 55 points for Western to win the tiebreaker. WCU's only real chance at autobid is for UTC to lose this weekend and against Furman. Both WC and WCU seem to have scheduled themselves out of an at-large ... but, the only thing that can be definitively stated about "The Committee" is that they do at least one unexpected thing every year.

Ah man...it's the first week you haven't mentioned Chattanooga "pulling a Huesman"...I was fully prepared to point out that this season it should be called "pulling a Lamb" since Mercer is the one losing most of the close games. Huesman has lost 2 games under 7 points, Lamb has lost 4. ;)

The bad news for Wofford is (as you pointed out)...they have to not only pull a Huesman, but they either have to do it twice, or lose by 26 or more on Saturday. I think even Huesman couldn't pull a Huesman that big. Now Mocs former basketball coach Henry Dickerson might have been able to do it...that is where Moc fans came up with term "Henry Proof"...I.E. a lead even Henry Dickerson couldn't blow.

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I was fully prepared to point out that this season it should be called "pulling a Lamb" since Mercer is the one losing most of the close games. Huesman has lost 2 games under 7 points, Lamb has lost 4. ;)

C'mon man...that ain't right. He's coaching his wool off this year. Give him, at least, until next year, when the Bears have a few 'adults' on the team, before y'all start that kind of nicknaming/labeling. I'm sure there will be some good ones though...thought someone might bring up a certain sore subject of that ilk after last week's game, but I guess there's just too much love in this room for that.

BTW - Speaking of those close final scores...Reckon what a bettin' man coulda made bettin' on the Bears so far this year (starting with the FU game - no one would be foolish enough to bet against Reinhardt!) if he bet $1,000 & took the Bears and the points or gave the points on the few times they have been favored....and let it ride all season?

Oops...gotta go...travel agent is calling in - she's got my vacation to Hawaii all booked up and wants to discuss the details. Thanks SportsFans! :D

chattanoogamocs
November 5th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Like I said a week or two ago...Huesman has figured out how not to "pull a Huesman"...just don't play any close games...it has worked so far.

(now that I am joking about it...Wofford will probably come up to Chattanooga and win 28-27)

citdog
November 5th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Check out the Pride board, I've posted there longer

Oh yeah????????

chattanoogamocs
November 5th, 2014, 04:39 PM
As for Mercer...on the Mocfans poll the week of the game, I picked the "Mocs win by 9 points or less" option...so obviously I thought Mercer was going to give it a good game...I think I also said "the first one to 28 wins"...of course, I say that every game because the Mocs rarely lose if they hold a team under 28...or get to 28 first.

The Cats
November 5th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Oh yeah????????

What's wrong? Forget your meds this morning?

chattanoogamocs
November 5th, 2014, 07:24 PM
As for Mercer...on the Mocfans poll the week of the game, I picked the "Mocs win by 9 points or less" option...so obviously I thought Mercer was going to give it a good game...I think I also said "the first one to 28 wins"...of course, I say that every game because the Mocs rarely lose if they hold a team under 28...or get to 28 first.

Mentioning this today...about me always joking "the first one to 28 wins"...I say that because of the number of painful losses the Mocs have suffered, losing 27-28. So tonight I actually went back to see if my joke had any validity.

Huesman is 37-28 overall is the coach of the Mocs, during that time period, if the Mocs "get to 28 points first" they are 26-1 in those games. The only loss was in 2010 when #3 ASU came back from 28-7 down at the half to beat Chattanooga 42-41.

So there you have it...if your team hold the Mocs under 28 points or does not allow them to get to 28 first, there is about a 71% chance of winning...let the Mocs get to 28 first and the odds drop to less than 4%.

Catamount87
November 6th, 2014, 07:35 AM
As a general "rule of thumb", that probably holds true across the board. As a bit of a stats geek, I'm tempted to dig into that but I don't have the time it would take.

walliver
November 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Ah man...it's the first week you haven't mentioned Chattanooga "pulling a Huesman"...I was fully prepared to point out that this season it should be called "pulling a Lamb" since Mercer is the one losing most of the close games. Huesman has lost 2 games under 7 points, Lamb has lost 4. ;)

The bad news for Wofford is (as you pointed out)...they have to not only pull a Huesman, but they either have to do it twice, or lose by 26 or more on Saturday. I think even Huesman couldn't pull a Huesman that big. Now Mocs former basketball coach Henry Dickerson might have been able to do it...that is where Moc fans came up with term "Henry Proof"...I.E. a lead even Henry Dickerson couldn't blow.

He still has a few weeks to pull one off. I hope it's not in the playoffs.

Sandlapper Spike
November 6th, 2014, 01:18 PM
As a general "rule of thumb", that probably holds true across the board. As a bit of a stats geek, I'm tempted to dig into that but I don't have the time it would take.

It would be more likely to be the case in a league without a lot of 42-40 kind of games. SoCon teams are averaging slightly under 28 points per game this season (27.89), so I'm guessing the percentages across the board would be fairly similar.

chattanoogamocs
November 6th, 2014, 01:30 PM
It would be more likely to be the case in a league without a lot of 42-40 kind of games. SoCon teams are averaging slightly under 28 points per game this season (27.89), so I'm guessing the percentages across the board would be fairly similar.

Obviously, unless you have a terrible defense and just try to outscore teams, most teams will be pretty successful if they can score 28 a game. However I was surprised how dominant it was...26 out of 27 is pretty amazing.

My point was/is...28 is the sweet spot, the top of the curve, for the Mocs...if you get them in low scoring games, they haven't fared well (if both teams are at 28 or under, the Mocs are only 6-12)...which is interesting considering the Mocs are known for having a better than average defense.

The stats also reinforce that they are not a "comeback team" (jump on them early and they are in trouble) and are not good in high scoring shootouts (they have lost every game that their opponent has gotten over 40).

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2014, 01:56 PM
The stats also reinforce that they are not a "comeback team" (jump on them early and they are in trouble)

Oh...if only this was ALWAYS the case... xbawlingx

chattanoogamocs
November 6th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Oh...if only this was ALWAYS the case... xbawlingx

LOL. Sorry about that.

Though honestly, I don't really count that since Mercer was never up my more than a TD at any point (by jumping out early I meant more like 14-0 or 21-0...in the past, the has normally been enough to rattle the Mocs). Though I am certainly glad the Mocs had the 21 point cushion in the 3rd against Mercer, because in the end, they needed all of it. That was one of those "get to 28 points first" games.

The only time the Mocs have staged a really big comeback in SoCon play was a 26 point 4th quarter at Furman to win 36-28.

PaladinFan
November 6th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Obviously, unless you have a terrible defense and just try to outscore teams, most teams will be pretty successful if they can score 28 a game. However I was surprised how dominant it was...26 out of 27 is pretty amazing.

My point was/is...28 is the sweet spot, the top of the curve, for the Mocs...if you get them in low scoring games, they haven't fared well (if both teams are at 28 or under, the Mocs are only 6-12)...which is interesting considering the Mocs are known for having a better than average defense.

The stats also reinforce that they are not a "comeback team" (jump on them early and they are in trouble) and are not good in high scoring shootouts (they have lost every game that their opponent has gotten over 40).

I would be ecstatic if Furman could score 28. They've done it just once this season. They've only broken 20 twice, and once only because our defense scored.

chattanoogamocs
November 6th, 2014, 02:22 PM

It would be hard to put together a good sample for WCU, because the Catamounts did break 28 very often over the last 6-8 years.

EDIT: And that was not meant as a swipe at Western...just reality.

Catamount87
November 6th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Actually, I wasn't thinking of just WCU. I was thinking across college football, possibly starting with the SoCon. I haven't even looked at doing it because we are talking about a enormous amount of data and time. But I do think your "first to 28" theory probably has a lot of validity across college football and not just UTC, WCU or the SoCon.

It would be hard to put together a good sample for WCU, because the Catamounts did break 28 very often over the last 6-8 years.

chattanoogamocs
November 6th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Actually, I wasn't thinking of just WCU. I was thinking across college football, possibly starting with the SoCon. I haven't even looked at doing it because we are talking about a enormous amount of data and time. But I do think your "first to 28" theory probably has a lot of validity across college football and not just UTC, WCU or the SoCon.

Next week I might sit down and just do the last 6 years of the SoCon. It only took me about 30 minutes to do Chattanooga (the only time consuming thing was on higher scoring games, looking back to see who got to 28 first)

ElCid
November 6th, 2014, 08:16 PM

Well the magic number for my Dogs losing this year appears to be 19. When we score under we lose, over we win. Losing with scores of 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 18. Winning with scores of 28, 37, 63. So maybe 28 is the magic number for winning. As much as our fans have complained about our D, the O has not produced like they should. We might have 3 more victories if our O was in gear.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 7th, 2014, 07:19 AM
That is another breakdown in the hierarchy of rivalries...there are one's that are based solely on animosity (you can stand them and want to whip their ass) and other based on mutual respect or kinship (like siblings and you want to whip their ass). :)

Some rivalries are based on one team/fans being a bunch of inbred moronic arrogant jackholes....cough, cough...Marshall.

It will be interesting to see what the ETSU rivalry is like...in the 80's and 90's we hates those guys and vice versa...I mean come on, one of our players punch a cheerleader (really more a shove to the face :) ...and she was saying some very unkind things during the game)...but after they lost their football team, I actually felt sorry for them and the ****ty job the AD/President did with the program (you know, "I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy"). I signed petitions to help get the program back...and get them back to the SoCon. I still want to see the Mocs beat them in every sports, but some of that "hate" has dissipated. Ironically, I think is some ways their fans might hate UTC more, because we didn't get shoved into the ASun and instead of dropping football, the Mocs actually turned it around (Mullins was up there telling everyone that Chattanooga was next in dropping football).

I am glad UTC did not have the "leadership" that ETSU had, for if they did, UTC would not have been in the discussion for membership in the Sun Belt. I can only imagine where ETSU would be if it was not for the "leadership team" in place. I am glad Stanton and Mullins are gone.

longtimemocfan
November 7th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Like I said a week or two ago...Huesman has figured out how not to "pull a Huesman"...just don't play any close games...it has worked so far.

(now that I am joking about it...Wofford will probably come up to Chattanooga and win 28-27)

The joke (28-27) was on us in 2011. Losing by that same score 3 times in one year. The Wofford game in Chattanooga was pretty much indicative of that whole season.
I remember being up something like 24-14 in the Wofford game and facing a 4th and less than a yard. When Russ sent out the FG unit I immediately started saying no,no. That will give us 27 again. We all know how it ended up.

chattanoogamocs
November 8th, 2014, 05:57 PM
SoCon Standing and Remaining SoCon Schedules

6-0 Chattanooga: @Furman
4-2 Samford: @Citadel
4-2 Western Carolina: VMI
3-2 Wofford: @Furman, Mercer
2-3 Citadel: Samford, @VMI
1-4 VMI: @WCU, Citadel
1-4 Furman: Wofford, UTC
1-5 Mercer: @Wofford

SoCon Scores