PDA

View Full Version : Furman

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2014, 04:10 PM
With all due respect to VMI, and I mean that, WTF Furman? Good Lord.

Go...gate
November 1st, 2014, 07:05 PM
Could be a breakthrough win for VMI.

jmrepak
November 1st, 2014, 07:11 PM
VMI doesn't deserve respect for anything other than the fact that they are a Military Institution. They suck at football and this loss signals the fall of the Paladins and nothing more. I do think Furman will rebound quickly, but man what a bad year.

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2014, 07:34 PM
It has been a miserable year. It has been hard to explain.

Injuries tell part of the story. Furman went into today's game missing four all conference starters from the lineup, Charles Emert (RT), Reese Hannon (QB), Trey Robinson (S), and Carl Rider (MLB). Take any team and remove four of their best players from the lineup, and the team will suffer. That is especially true when it is your starting QB and MLB (the "quarterback of the defense").

Take the safety position, before halftime today Furman was down four safeties: Robinson (mono), Brown (fractured arm), Anderson (sprained ankle), and Tremaine (broken arm). When injuries come to one position like that, it is virtually unbearable.

A step further has been untimely dismissals. Furman had their starting center (Thoni) and best all around defensive player/kick returner (Hollman) were dismissed over the summer. Shawn Boone, a sixth year second string DE was dismissed this week. Add that with the injuries, and the depth chart is just destroyed.

Still, not lost in all of this is putrid play. From week one the team has not looked good. The defense played relatively well until basically succumbing to injuries, but the offense has been atrocious all season. The play calling has been predictable, we are putting far too much pressure on two freshmen QBs, and have basically been unable to establish a running game at all this season.

It is hard to pinpoint the exact reason. There was a lot of hope going into this season. On paper, this is virtually the same team that played in the second round of the playoffs last season in Fargo. Still, the team that took the field looks like a shadow of that team. We aren't excelling in any of the three areas of football, and are basically just getting our butts kicked right now.

That said, I don't think Furman is irretrievably finished. They have recruited well, and, despite the record, I still like Bruce Fowler a lot. Believe me, this came as a complete surprise to Furman fans. We did not see this season coming whatsoever. Even after Hannon went down, I could not have envisioned this.

bdog
November 1st, 2014, 07:36 PM
VMI doesn't deserve respect for anything other than the fact that they are a Military Institution. They suck at football and this loss signals the fall of the Paladins and nothing more. I do think Furman will rebound quickly, but man what a bad year.

You are an idiot

dungeonjoe
November 1st, 2014, 07:48 PM

Injuries tell part of the story. Furman went into today's game missing four all conference starters from the lineup, Charles Emert (RT), Reese Hannon (QB), Trey Robinson (S), and Carl Rider (MLB). Take any team and remove four of their best players from the lineup, and the team will suffer. That is especially true when it is your starting QB and MLB (the "quarterback of the defense").

Take the safety position, before halftime today Furman was down four safeties: Robinson (mono), Brown (fractured arm), Anderson (sprained ankle), and Tremaine (broken arm). When injuries come to one position like that, it is virtually unbearable.

A step further has been untimely dismissals. Furman had their starting center (Thoni) and best all around defensive player/kick returner (Hollman) were dismissed over the summer. Shawn Boone, a sixth year second string DE was dismissed this week. Add that with the injuries, and the depth chart is just destroyed.

Still, not lost in all of this is putrid play. From week one the team has not looked good. The defense played relatively well until basically succumbing to injuries, but the offense has been atrocious all season. The play calling has been predictable, we are putting far too much pressure on two freshmen QBs, and have basically been unable to establish a running game at all this season.

It is hard to pinpoint the exact reason. There was a lot of hope going into this season. On paper, this is virtually the same team that played in the second round of the playoffs last season in Fargo. Still, the team that took the field looks like a shadow of that team. We aren't excelling in any of the three areas of football, and are basically just getting our butts kicked right now.

That said, I don't think Furman is irretrievably finished. They have recruited well, and, despite the record, I still like Bruce Fowler a lot. Believe me, this came as a complete surprise to Furman fans. We did not see this season coming whatsoever. Even after Hannon went down, I could not have envisioned this.

Furman will be back. They are a kind of program that wins or learns. They are doing a lot of learning this year. They will be on top of the conference sooner rather than later.

kdinva
November 1st, 2014, 07:52 PM
VMI doesn't deserve respect for anything other than the fact that they are a Military Institution. They suck at football .

and to think my wife and I got married in the Horry County courthouse.........only if I knew then what I know now, we would have driven to Charleston....

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2014, 08:30 PM
Furman will be back. They are a kind of program that wins or learns. They are doing a lot of learning this year. They will be on top of the conference sooner rather than later.

I imagine this is just a combination of a lot of unforeseen circumstances. I do imagine that the offensive coordinator may be on notice.

SCPALADIN
November 1st, 2014, 08:32 PM
I imagine this is just a combination of a lot of unforeseen circumstances. I do imagine that the offensive coordinator may be on notice.

...and one would hope a certain "QB coach" who hangs out in the press box, as well.

dungeonjoe
November 1st, 2014, 08:37 PM

The injuries were unforeseen. I think there were weaknesses that some saw.

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2014, 08:46 PM
The injuries were unforeseen. I think there were weaknesses that some saw.

Absolutely. We knew going into the season we had some question marks on the OL and in the kicking game. Those problems just continued to get worse and other problems just kept springing up.

jmrepak
November 1st, 2014, 08:47 PM
You are an idiot
Why does that make me an idiot? I've watched VMI drag at the bottom of the Big South for years. They're just not a good football school and haven't been for as long as I've been following college FB. Maybe I was too harsh saying they don't deserve respect for anything, but they definitely don't for football. Am I also an idiot for pointing out that it signals the fall of Furman. A team that started in the top 15 and is now 2-7? Am I an idiot for thinking they will bounce back quickly even though they are a program rich with tradition to fall back on and alumni that expect a good program and are willing to help get it there? Why don't you post a few more times and think about your comments a little more before posting them.

jmrepak
November 1st, 2014, 08:49 PM
and to think my wife and I got married in the Horry County courthouse.........only if I knew then what I know now, we would have driven to Charleston....
Sorry for being a little too harsh. I should have stayed football specific with not deserving any respect. Let's be honest though, they haven't earned any on the gridiron.

kdinva
November 1st, 2014, 08:55 PM
Let's be honest though, they haven't earned any on the gridiron.

agree on that.......but on one Saturday every so often VMI comes up and bites someone that the experts didn't see (like VMI's 47-20 win over CCU in '08........and CCU had a decent team that season....VMI's last win in that "series").

jmrepak
November 1st, 2014, 09:01 PM
agree on that.......but on one Saturday every so often VMI comes up and bites someone that the experts didn't see (like VMI's 47-20 win over CCU in '08........and CCU had a decent team that season....VMI's last win in that "series").
Fair enough...what area in C-field are you in? I have a rental house off of Hull in the newer part of Ashbrook.

CID1990
November 2nd, 2014, 12:46 AM

thats a lot of ink spilled just to say

furman sucks

CID1990
November 2nd, 2014, 12:51 AM
Let's be honest though, they haven't earned any on the gridiron.

Exhibit A of the difference in priorities between the best team in the big south and the former worst team in the big south

being good in football as a pathway to respect

that explains the API for every school in the conference

jmrepak
November 2nd, 2014, 05:24 AM
Exhibit A of the difference in priorities between the best team in the big south and the former worst team in the big south

being good in football as a pathway to respect

that explains the API for every school in the conference
That's not the case at all. This is football specific only. The academic quality of my Alma Mater is the most important thing to me which is why I serve on 3 boards and am an Exec in Residence guest speaker there. The reality is that the academics of a university need to be able to stand alone, but quality athletics can raise the profile of the university.

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2014, 06:13 AM
Absolutely. We knew going into the season we had some question marks on the OL and in the kicking game. Those problems just continued to get worse and other problems just kept springing up.

been a long year for Braves fans and Furman and Delaware fans.

CID1990
November 2nd, 2014, 06:35 AM
That's not the case at all. This is football specific only. The academic quality of my Alma Mater is the most important thing to me which is why I serve on 3 boards and am an Exec in Residence guest speaker there. The reality is that the academics of a university need to be able to stand alone, but quality athletics can raise the profile of the university.

I'm not the one who broke the seal on the respect thing- it sure didn't sound football specific

jmrepak
November 2nd, 2014, 07:00 AM
I'm not the one who broke the seal on the respect thing- it sure didn't sound football specific
You quoted me saying they haven't earned respect on the gridiron in your original response and are now saying it sure didn't sound football specific. I also clarified that it was football specific in my 2nd and 3rd posting on this thread. Don't defend a misinformed remark with a lie. That doesn't make it any better.

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2014, 07:16 AM
been a long year for Braves fans and Furman and Delaware fans.

Been a rough year. Braves were bad, Furman's bad, Falcons are bad. Auburn is just about keeping my 2014 sports sanity alive.

TTUEagles
November 2nd, 2014, 07:27 AM
Been a rough year. Braves were bad, Furman's bad, Falcons are bad. Auburn is just about keeping my 2014 sports sanity alive.

Try being a Braves/Titans/GD TTU fan.... Thank God for the Predators - really? That's what I'm 'hanging my hat' on???? (thread hijack, sorry)

OL FU
November 2nd, 2014, 08:11 AM
I think Paladin fans most important comment was that it was obvious there were problems from the start.xnodx
The injuries, of course, have exacerbated the problems. I know there is another thread on here about the uffp exploding, so what the heck. I am not one that thinks a head coaching change fixes the issues. There have been some really bright spots during Fowler's tenure. But there certainly needs to be some real soul searching about what is going on. and maybe a few more "Just as I Ams":)

SCPALADIN
November 2nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
I think Paladin fans most important comment was that it was obvious there were problems from the start.xnodx
The injuries, of course, have exacerbated the problems. I know there is another thread on here about the uffp exploding, so what the heck. I am not one that thinks a head coaching change fixes the issues. There have been some really bright spots during Fowler's tenure. But there certainly needs to be some real soul searching about what is going on. and maybe a few more "Just as I Ams":)

I'm not usually one to blame losses on injuries but it is really difficult to overlook the attrition we've had to endure. It's a freaking triage here at Furman.

Senior safety Hunter Tremaine, making his first career start following a rash of injuries in the secondary, sustained a fractured arm in the first half and joins Paladin safeties Trey Robinson (mononucleosis) Thomas Brown (fractured arm), and Rodney Anderson (sprained ankle) on the sideline. He virtually out of Safeties.

Among Furman's injured players are five All-SoCon performers, including quarterback Reese Hannon (fractured ankle), linebacker Carl Rider (torn labrum), tackle Charles Emert (concussion), Robinson, and long snapper Danny LaMontange (fractured ankle)."

Our long snapper is a senior who got a phone call from Fowler Tuesday before the Samford game asking him if he'd like to play. He apparently was a long snapper in high school...4 years earlier. The injury situation has reached a level of ridiculous like I've never seen in the 20 years I've been following Furman football.

citdog
November 2nd, 2014, 10:15 AM
Been saying it for years.........furman sucks

when I said it to my Mother yesterday she hung up one me.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2014, 10:16 AM
I'm not usually one to blame losses on injuries but it is really difficult to overlook the attrition we've had to endure. It's a freaking triage here at Furman.

Senior safety Hunter Tremaine, making his first career start following a rash of injuries in the secondary, sustained a fractured arm in the first half and joins Paladin safeties Trey Robinson (mononucleosis) Thomas Brown (fractured arm), and Rodney Anderson (sprained ankle) on the sideline. He virtually out of Safeties.

Among Furman's injured players are five All-SoCon performers, including quarterback Reese Hannon (fractured ankle), linebacker Carl Rider (torn labrum), tackle Charles Emert (concussion), Robinson, and long snapper Danny LaMontange (fractured ankle)."

Our long snapper is a senior who got a phone call from Fowler Tuesday before the Samford game asking him if he'd like to play. He apparently was a long snapper in high school...4 years earlier. The injury situation has reached a level of ridiculous like I've never seen in the 20 years I've been following Furman football.

I absolutely agree with you on the injuries. I hate to say it because around here it's kinda like what else do you have. My other concern though is we really didn't start that well before we were badly beat up. (yes even at the start of the season we had issues, Rider out from the start and McCloud not a full strength, Thone, etc). Everyone expected GWU to be pretty good at the start and I think Mercer has proven they can play with anyone in the conference (even though they haven't figured out how to win) so maybe our start with most of our starters wasn't as mediocre as it looked. Who knows? Just a tough season considering the expectations.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Been saying it for years.........furman sucks

when I said it to my Mother yesterday she hung up one me.

Gimme a break. We lost a football game. The Citadel and VMI lost the war of Northern Aggression.xrolleyesx

citdog
November 2nd, 2014, 10:19 AM
Gimme a break. We lost a football game. The Citadel and VMI lost the war of Northern Aggression.xrolleyesx

Cannot reply to political discussions on the FCS Board....... xdrunkyx

The Cats
November 2nd, 2014, 10:27 AM
At least you guys have injuries to blame for your troubles.

I don't know what the Catamounts can blame their play Saturday on.

AshevilleApp2
November 2nd, 2014, 11:06 AM

xlolx Dungeon Joe does some subtly great work!

SU DOG
November 2nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
Regardless of what a person thinks of Furman(from a football perspective), the SoCon NEEDS for this program to be strong. Heaven knows our conference is struggling enough with OOC wins and getting any national respect. You just have to admit that the Furman program is steeped in great history and tradition. I too think that this fall will quickly be replaced with a return to relevance - there's just too much pride from FU folks for that not to happen. What they need to do, I have no idea, but whatever it is, I'm certain it will get done. Sure, last week was fun from a Samford viewpoint and this week had to be special for VMI, but for the overall good, a win against the Paladins needs to be against a strong proud program that is in its historical position of being a SoCon powerhouse.

dungeonjoe
November 2nd, 2014, 01:22 PM

I wonder about strength and conditioning coaching at FU. Some of the injuries are just freak luck, but that many? Sounds like a stronger s/c program might be in order.

or

Y'all need to run over to Bob Jones and get yourself a snake-handling, Benny Hinn wannabe to slap them purps on the forehead and get them healed up real good.

catamount man
November 2nd, 2014, 03:37 PM
I wonder about strength and conditioning coaching at FU. Some of the injuries are just freak luck, but that many? Sounds like a stronger s/c program might be in order.

or

Y'all need to run over to Bob Jones and get yourself a snake-handling, Benny Hinn wannabe to slap them purps on the forehead and get them healed up real good.

Ole Benny Hinn came to to greenvegas a few years back and a guy I know went because he truly wanted to see how fake ole Benny is. Said Benny's "crowd control" was visibly taking REAL sick people out of the side door, including a black man in a wheelchair who, according to my friend, was fighting them because he was there to get prayed for. Unreal. Oh and the 2 rows of people who would go on stage and get "healed" were members of a very famous Greenville church that is in the same league with Hinn's name and claim it version of the gospel. Again, unreal and sad. Furman can do much better.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2014, 04:49 PM
Yeah, Furman has so many injuries that I think we can just say they suck no matter what. This year is an anomaly. Next year they will be a wild card, and not one to be counted out.

But for now, Furman sucks. And I'm not meaning to say that in a mean way. It's just better if we all except it, have fun with it, and understand that things just can't get much worse for them this season.

It's better for everyone if we just except it and start singing Baptist spirtuals at every mishap that happens henceforth. It's that sort of season.

But Jesus Christ if Wofford loses to them I'll be pissed.

dungeonjoe
November 2nd, 2014, 07:01 PM
You keep taking JC's name like that youngster, somebody might pulta Benny Hinn whammy on your forehead.

Biff
November 3rd, 2014, 08:09 AM

And what did Furman do during The War?

OL FU
November 3rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
And what did Furman do during The War?

It was a joke BIFF:D

Biff
November 3rd, 2014, 08:14 AM
It was a joke BIFF:D

Oh I got it … figured it was a good week to beat a dead horse ...

OL FU
November 3rd, 2014, 08:32 AM
Oh I got it … figured it was a good week to beat a dead horse ...

ouch

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2014, 10:09 AM

Were I in charge (I am not) I would have to look at the whole program top to bottom. Sure, injuries happen, but Furman came into the season with a number of injuries to key players. Several of those were sustained in spring practice and in the pre-season.

I do imagine, though, that there will be no hitting in the DB practice this week. Not that there is anyone left to hit.

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2014, 10:13 AM

I agree with you. I think that there are some major issues, particularly on offense. Even last year, with a healthy Hannon, Dakota Dozier, etc. the offense was not very good. Now, they weren't abysmal, and still held onto the football, but our offense was truly just a mechanism to getting the football into Ray Early's kicking range. I have been underwhelmed with our offensive production pretty much since Ingle Martin left.

I think everyone can endure losing. When you start losing like we are losing, though, it raises more questions. Again, I think Bruce Fowler is going to have to do a top down analysis of this program this off season.

CID1990
November 3rd, 2014, 01:14 PM
You quoted me saying they haven't earned respect on the gridiron in your original response and are now saying it sure didn't sound football specific. I also clarified that it was football specific in my 2nd and 3rd posting on this thread. Don't defend a misinformed remark with a lie. That doesn't make it any better.

You made an asshole comment. Try to sound cerebral in your mea culpa all you want, but I think your first comment was your true colors.

No shame, Bubba. Some schools have different priorities. It is obvious where CCU's lie.

jmrepak
November 3rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
You made an asshole comment. Try to sound cerebral in your mea culpa all you want, but I think your first comment was your true colors.

No shame, Bubba. Some schools have different priorities. It is obvious where CCU's lie.
Yep, you're right. I'm just an asshole all the way around, and I'm sure you've never said or written anything at all that went above and beyond your intention which lead to you then clarifying in your follow up comments. I'm also sure that every school should be fully characterized as well as their intentions, priorities and ambitions known based on the comments of a single post from a football fan on a public forum. Your comment was contradictory and you continue to defend it and make underhanded insults. There's no shame though, Bubba. Some people are just assholes.

citdog
November 3rd, 2014, 03:22 PM
Yep, you're right. I'm just an asshole all the way around, and I'm sure you've never said or written anything at all that went above and beyond your intention which lead to you then clarifying in your follow up comments. I'm also sure that every school should be fully characterized as well as their intentions, priorities and ambitions known based on the comments of a single post from a football fan on a public forum. Your comment was contradictory and you continue to defend it and make underhanded insults. There's no shame though, Bubba. Some people are just assholes.

I don't think the insult was underhanded. It was perfectly clear and you deserved it. Sometimes it's good to just back up and punt bro.....

jmrepak
November 3rd, 2014, 03:40 PM
I don't think the insult was underhanded. It was perfectly clear and you deserved it. Sometimes it's good to just back up and punt bro.....
I was going to use you as my example, but I didn't want to pull someone into a conversation that didn't do anything. Since you're here now on your own.

How would Citadel grads feel about everyone interpreting Citdog's posts as the priorities of that institution?

This is my last post in this thread. Come after me somewhere else all you want, but I'm done hashing it out on a Furman thread.

Sader87
November 3rd, 2014, 03:43 PM
This was just getting good too.....xrotatehx

citdog
November 3rd, 2014, 03:44 PM
I was going to use you as my example, but I didn't want to pull someone into a conversation that didn't do anything. Since you're here now on your own.

How would Citadel grads feel about everyone interpreting Citdog's posts as the priorities of that institution?

This is my last post in this thread. Come after me somewhere else all you want, but I'm done hashing it out on a Furman thread.

That would be an asinine thing for one to do. On the other hand all one has to look at is the money being poured into USC-Coastal's athletic program and draw a conclusion.......

THANKS for playing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

rokamortis
November 3rd, 2014, 03:47 PM
That would be an asinine thing for one to do. On the other hand all one has to look at is the money being poured into USC-Coastal's athletic program and draw a conclusion.......

THANKS for playing...

Furman still sucks though, right?

citdog
November 3rd, 2014, 03:49 PM
Furman still sucks though, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLT2erau3zo

citdog
November 3rd, 2014, 03:51 PM
This is my last post in this thread. Come after me somewhere else all you want

Brave Sir Repak ran away!!!

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/large/HolyGrail144.jpg