PDA

View Full Version : Texas State lands 5 on ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District VI Squad

Freightliner
November 9th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Least we have one thing going for us this year....

Any other I-AA teams have players in this?

Making the Grade
Headed by repeat first-team selection Walter Musgrove, Texas State University had five student-athletes named to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District VI University Division Football Team. Joining Musgrove on the all-academic squad released Thursday were teammates Chase Wasson, Blake Burton, Buck Koalenz and Nate Langford.

READ MORE (http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110906aac.html)

Retro
November 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110906aaa.html

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Quite a few Kats on the squad. Keep in mind, this is the 'district' squad. SLC will put out that all-Academic SLC team in a few weeks.

Remember when SHSU had five of the ten on the SLC all-academic mens' basketball team last year? That was impressive! And all five are back this year. Conference championship contenders. All-Conference in the classroom. Now, that's a program! :)

P Daniel Sepulveda, Baylor
QB Paul Smith, Tulsa
WR Chase Wasson, Texas State
WR Todd Walker, Texas Tech
WR Grant Walker, Texas Tech
TE Nick Cleaver, New Mexico State
RB Blake Burton, Texas State
OL Mike Mengers, Tulsa
OL Vince Natali, New Mexico
OL Cody Wallace, Texas A&M
OL Buck Koalenz, Texas State
OL Stephen Daigle, Southern Miss
PK Chris Manfredini, TCU
DB Biobele Bilaye-Benibo, Rice
DB Walter Musgrove, Texas State
DB Trumaine McBride, Mississippi
DB Brant Linde, McNeese State
LB Wade Koehl, Houston
LB Cody Kase, New Mexico
LB Brock Stratton, Texas Tech
DL Darnell Smith, Oklahoma State
DL Carl Pendleton, Oklahoma
DL Aaron Ivey, Sam Houston State
DL Nate Langford, Texas State

Freightliner
November 10th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Quite a few Kats on the squad.
hmm....just one...yeah..thats a lot:rolleyes:

Keep in mind, this is the 'district' squad. SLC will put out that all-Academic SLC team in a few weeks.
And this is a regional squad dealing with all divisions (I, II, and III). Along with having the most picks in the nation, these picks go to the Academic All American ballot. I'll take 5 possible Academic All Americans over how ever many SLC Academic picks.

Remember when SHSU had five of the ten on the SLC all-academic mens' basketball team last year? That was impressive! And all five are back this year. Conference championship contenders. All-Conference in the classroom. Now, that's a program! :)
:giveadamn:

cosmo here
November 10th, 2006, 07:35 AM
hmm....just one...yeah..thats a lot:rolleyes:

And this is a regional squad dealing with all divisions (I, II, and III). Along with having the most picks in the nation, these picks go to the Academic All American ballot. I'll take 5 possible Academic All Americans over how ever many SLC Academic picks.

It's only Division I . . II and III have their own division. I would imagine some positions are more difficult than others to make the list as well, it's not just the top 24 from each district. Five is great, just don't start comparing yourself to Harvard :) In some districts its tougher to make the team as well.

Freightliner
November 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM
It's only Division I . . II and III have their own division. I would imagine some positions are more difficult than others to make the list as well, it's not just the top 24 from each district. Five is great, just don't start comparing yourself to Harvard :) In some districts its tougher to make the team as well.

True...

btw - I in NO way am I comparing Texas State to Harvard or any of the Ivy League Schools. Academic wise they are the Cream of the Crop.

Course some of the schools in this region makes it also difficult to be even nominated.

*still cant believe they left a 3.6 gpa in Mathematics off the listxidiotx *

rmutv
November 10th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Robert Morris Colonial DE Ray Gensler got the nomination here in Moon Township. From the official RMU site:

Senior defensive lineman Ray Gensler (Pittsburgh, Pa. / Keystone Oaks) of the Robert Morris University football team was named to the ESPN The Magazine 2006 District II University Division Football Academic All-America Team Thursday by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). It marks the second straight District II honor for Gensler, and by making the team he will be placed on the national ballot for Academic All-America consideration. In 2005 Gensler was named to the second team for defense.

In his fourth year as a starter at left end for the Colonials, Gensler owns a 3.91 cumulative grade point average as a manufacturing engineering major. He currently ranks fourth on the team in tackles with 63, including 25 solo takedowns. Gensler also leads the Northeast Conference and ranks third in I-AA in sacks with 11 and in 2006 established a new Robert Morris career record in the category, eclipsing former defensive lineman Jason Spencer’s (1994-97) record of 17. Heading into RMU’s 2006 regular season finale Saturday at Sacred Heart, Gensler owns 19 career sacks.

Gensler also tied the Robert Morris single-season record of 11 sacks in the club’s last game when he posted one and-a-half sacks against Albany (11/4). On his career, Gensler owns 181 career tackles, including 74 solo tackles.