PDA

View Full Version : JMU & UMass ADs comment on playoffs

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=7188&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

As Bourne said, JMU's bid will be "agressive". I hope thats the case, esp if we drop one of the last 2 and aren't one of the 4 seeds.

The writer didn't do his research though- he's got NSDU in the fight for one of the 4 seeds.

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Umass's AD is on the selection committee.

YoUDeeMan
November 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=7188&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

As Bourne said, JMU's bid will be "agressive". I hope thats the case, esp if we drop one of the last 2 and aren't one of the 4 seeds.

By Mike Barber: "Assuming nothing dramatic happens, No. 1 Appalachian State (9-1) and No. 2 Montana (8-1) are the likely top two seeds. No. 3 UMass and No. 4 JMU would be the likely next two. No. 5 North Dakota State (8-1) or whoever wins the Gateway Conference, possibly No. 6 Youngstown State (7-2), could sneak into the picture." xidiotx

I'm sure the NDSU fans would love to see the committee have the same opinion of that well informed sports writer. :rolleyes:

BDKJMU
November 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I noticed that when I read the article a couple of days ago. Then it had a comments section where a JMU fan had pointed that out.

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 02:39 PM

I thought he could not be in the room when they discuss UMASS or is it any A-10 team.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I thought he could not be in the room when they discuss UMASS or is it any A-10 team.

Just his team. And no one has ever proved one way or the other that having a school rep on the committee has any effect of any kind on what teams make the playoffs. It's just message board banter.

BillLuc1982
November 9th, 2006, 02:47 PM
If Montana loses to Montana State, will YSU get a seed over Montana if YSU beats Western Kentucky?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 9th, 2006, 03:21 PM
If that happens, I'd say it's a coin flip. ;)

GOTOREROS
November 9th, 2006, 03:50 PM

And he was the Cal Poly AD before UMASS right? Interesting....

DB_Atlantic10
November 9th, 2006, 08:12 PM
If Montana loses to Montana State, will YSU get a seed over Montana if YSU beats Western Kentucky? Don't know, but for Montana's sake, they don't do well w/o seeds.... They are Grizzlies in Missoula, but more like Panda Bears on the road......xlolx

redbirdtim
November 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM
If YSU wins and Montana loses, yes I would give them the seed.

Longhorn
November 9th, 2006, 08:24 PM
By Mike Barber: "Assuming nothing dramatic happens, No. 1 Appalachian State (9-1) and No. 2 Montana (8-1) are the likely top two seeds. No. 3 UMass and No. 4 JMU would be the likely next two. No. 5 North Dakota State (8-1) or whoever wins the Gateway Conference, possibly No. 6 Youngstown State (7-2), could sneak into the picture." xidiotx

I'm sure the NDSU fans would love to see the committee have the same opinion of that well informed sports writer. :rolleyes:

Yes...you've got Mike Barber pegged exactly right. For YEARS he's constantly made mistakes of simple facts when covering JMU and A10 FB...honestly, sometimes I think he just wipes his a** on a piece of paper and turns it in to his editor. :nonono2:

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 10:41 PM
And he was the Cal Poly AD before UMASS right? Interesting....
Yes he left Poly got UMass right when they were making the jump to I-AA.

Peems
November 9th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Don't know, but for Montana's sake, they don't do well w/o seeds.... They are Grizzlies in Missoula, but more like Panda Bears on the road......xlolx

be wary of pandas...

http://www.stupidcollege.com/items/Panda-Bear-Rage

Mr. C
November 9th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Yes he left Poly got UMass right when they were making the jump to I-AA.
Trying to make sense of your post. Are you saying that the UMass AD left Cal Poly at the time Cal Poly was moving to I-AA? The Mustangs have been in I-AA since 1994.

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Trying to make sense of your post. Are you saying that the UMass AD left Cal Poly at the time Cal Poly was moving to I-AA? The Mustangs have been in I-AA since 1994.
Wow i cant even make sense of it myself. I have no clue what I was typing. I ment to say he left Cal Poly for UMass when Poly was moving up from D 2. But it must have been for other sports.

Mr. C
November 9th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Wow i cant even make sense of it myself. I have no clue what I was typing. I ment to say he left Cal Poly for UMass when Poly was moving up from D 2. But it must have been for other sports.
Cal Poly's program has been Division I since 1994. You can't move in one sport and not bring the rest of your program.

umassfan
November 9th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Cal Poly's program has been Division I since 1994. You can't move in one sport and not bring the rest of your program.
I dont know if you are correct because it was well stated that when he came from Poly they were moving up from D2.

"McCutcheon came to UMass from California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, where he was the director of athletics for a 20-sport varsity program from 1992-2004. During his time at Cal Poly, McCutcheon coordinated the school's reclassification from Division II to Division I-AA and secured membership in the Big West Conference. Cal Poly teams won 15 conference championships during McCutcheon's tenure, with 11 teams and 45 individuals advancing to NCAA postseason competition. "

Maybe he did it sooner then I thought at Poly but I thought it was more recent.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I dont know if you are correct because it was well stated that when he came from Poly they were moving up from D2.

"McCutcheon came to UMass from California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, where he was the director of athletics for a 20-sport varsity program from 1992-2004. During his time at Cal Poly, McCutcheon coordinated the school's reclassification from Division II to Division I-AA and secured membership in the Big West Conference. Cal Poly teams won 15 conference championships during McCutcheon's tenure, with 11 teams and 45 individuals advancing to NCAA postseason competition. "

Maybe he did it sooner then I thought at Poly but I thought it was more recent.
It sounds like they are talking about the early years of his tenure at Cal Poly for that. My info came directly from the 2006 Cal Poly media guide. Whatever is the case, it sounds like McCutcheon did an outstanding job at Cal Poly and sounds like he has continued that success at UMass. I think you guys made a pretty good hire.

umassfan
November 10th, 2006, 12:33 AM
It sounds like they are talking about the early years of his tenure at Cal Poly for that. My info came directly from the 2006 Cal Poly media guide. Whatever is the case, it sounds like McCutcheon did an outstanding job at Cal Poly and sounds like he has continued that success at UMass. I think you guys made a pretty good hire.
I agree... Im glad hes the AD of UMass. I also noticed on I-AA.org that they started in 94. I didnt notice he was with Poly so long till today. When he was hired, they made it seem like the move up was a recent thing. Guess you learn something new every day. :D

BDKJMU
November 10th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Yes...you've got Mike Barber pegged exactly right. For YEARS he's constantly made mistakes of simple facts when covering JMU and A10 FB...honestly, sometimes I think he just wipes his a** on a piece of paper and turns it in to his editor. :nonono2:

Check this out. He says Villanova averages 340 yards per game rushing, good for 8th in the A-10. Hell, 340 a game would probably lead the nation. Villanova actually averages 146 on the ground.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7249&CHID=3

th0m
November 10th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Indeed. CCSU leads the nation with 275 ypg rushing.

What Barber must've meant was 340 yards of TOTAL offense per game, in which Villanova indeed ranks 8th in the A-10.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM
What I wouldn't give for a good newspaper in Harrisonburg... xcoffeex