PDA

View Full Version : Colgate-Fordham

ColgateTD
October 30th, 2014, 02:54 PM
What chance do posters think 'Gate has of winning this game? Or at least making it competitive? We need a ball control offense IMO that takes time off the clock and explores the Rams' defense, which may be its only "weak" link...and I say that knowing this team has the closest thing to a perfect PL squad that we have seen in several years.

We're one year into scholarships while the Rams are four years ahead of us. It will take a tremendous effort on both sides of the ball to come out on top. I'm hoping we make use of our talented WRs and TEs - Lalli, Maddaluna III, Quazza, O'Connell, and Alex Greenawalt, who have had minimal input so far. Mooney needs to come of age in a very tough environment. The passing game needs to be expanded and become a real threat for us to establish the ground game and win.

What say you?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 30th, 2014, 04:27 PM
How windy is it suppose to be in the Bronx on Saturday? Perhaps the weather will play havoc on the Rams offense. The Colgate defense is probably better than average overall but Yale, who has an elite "O", took them apart pretty good. I just don't think Colgate is either good enough on offense or defense to really threaten on the road. If they keep it within 14-17 points they did well imo....

I'll go Fordham 40-24....

Fordham
October 30th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Nebrich out this week, possibly next. Post on our board referenced a rushed trip to the hospital for appendectomy.

Go...gate
October 30th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the young man. Appendectomies are no fun at all.

FordhamFan
October 30th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Definitely out. This game is gonna be an absolute battle.

Gate83
October 30th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Sorry to hear about Nebrich, makes it a battle of backups. Note that just came out from coach Hunt says Melville got sick while recovering from the Princeton injury, hopefully able to go next week. Weather forecast has improved slightly & winds aren't supposed to pick up until Sunday, trends that hurt both the Red Raiders & my Sunday morning tee time. Hoping we can control the ball enough to take it to the 4th, then you never know. But not all that optimistic about the game... on the other hand, the tailgate in the Bronx is always a good time!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Speedy recovery for Nebrich.

ColgateTD
October 30th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Definitely out. This game is gonna be an absolute battle.

Think you're sandbagging us FordhamFan. The only battle I see is between the second and third string QB on the Rams' side. Despite my opening post, I just don't see the Raiders coming out on top in this one, taking every scenario into account. I hope I'm wrong, but.....:(

Gate83
October 30th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Don't worry TD, we'll win the parking lot (like usual). Though I tend to agree with your game forecast...

Fordham
October 31st, 2014, 05:40 AM
Nebrich being out really turns this game into a 'who knows what will happen?' game. We became remarkably pedestrian when he was out last year AND also when he had such limited mobility in the 'Nova game. As the season has gone on and his knee got better and better, we've been seeing the old Nebrich.

Should be a good one.

FordhamFan
October 31st, 2014, 10:33 AM
Think you're sandbagging us FordhamFan. The only battle I see is between the second and third string QB on the Rams' side. Despite my opening post, I just don't see the Raiders coming out on top in this one, taking every scenario into account. I hope I'm wrong, but.....:(

I'm telling you man, this is just a perfect storm. Nebrich out, blustery forecast that favors Colgate's grind it out offense. Keep Fordham's offense off the field. Only let the Rams have 8-9 possessions, make every one count and hope it takes Maetzold a few possessions to get going. I'm not saying it will happen, but I'm just saying don't be shocked if it does

Fordhamanhattan
October 31st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Peter Maetzold is no Mike Nebrich but the young man is no slouch. He led Houston area high schools in yardage when at Friendswood and is said to know the playbook almost as well as his fellow Texan, receiver Brian Wetzel. This is to be expected from this Biology major future physician. He comes from an impressive family, his father was a founder and now chairman of a biosciences company in Houston. He threw for 300 yards last year in both of his outings when Nebrich was injured. A major concern is interceptions as he had five during those two games. I think the team really comes together Saturday. Today, by the way is the 50th anniversary of the revival of Fordham football.

Gater
October 31st, 2014, 11:29 AM
A kid this smart should continue to focus on his studies through Saturday.

FordhamFan
October 31st, 2014, 11:33 AM
Peter Maetzold is no Mike Nebrich but the young man is no slouch. He led Houston area high schools in yardage when at Friendswood and is said to know the playbook almost as well as his fellow Texan, receiver Brian Wetzel. This is to be expected from this Biology major future physician. He comes from an impressive family, his father was a founder and now chairman of a biosciences company in Houston. He threw for 300 yards last year in both of his outings when Nebrich was injured. A major concern is interceptions as he had five during those two games. I think the team really comes together Saturday. Today, by the way is the 50th anniversary of the revival of Fordham football.

A great point. Fordham is the luckiest team in the nation..and it's not because Nebrich graced them with his presence...it's because they have a backup in Maetzold that would start for almost any other team in the PL and a lot of Ivies. The kid was destined to be the starter, only for Nebrich to come in and steal all of the glory...and he hasn't complained a peep. The kid goes about his business and is as good a backup QB as any FCS team has in the nation.

That being said....it is not easy to go from limited reps in practice to game speed in 4 days.

citdog
October 31st, 2014, 11:39 AM
neibrich out for fordham?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoJVJpTruzg

The Boogie Down
October 31st, 2014, 03:54 PM
+1. Maetzold was overly criticized last year when Lafayette beat us in every facet of the game. He'll get his redemption tomorrow.

TheValleyRaider
November 1st, 2014, 07:50 AM
Gonna have to miss this one (got tickets for the Army-Air Force slapfight instead)

Obviously hate to see one of Fordham's best go down like that. Still, can't help but feel just a bit more confident. Our Raiders have that way of always sneaking up on the rest of the League somehow ;)

I'll be tracking for sure...

Let's Go 'Gate!

Fordham
November 1st, 2014, 12:21 PM
Rams up 7 - 0 after a blocked punt got us the ball at the 1. Controversial call in that Edmonds appeared to have fumbled at the one with a Colgate recovery but it was ruled that his knee was down and we got another shot. Next play a short pass from Maetzold got us the TD.

Go...gate
November 1st, 2014, 12:25 PM
Lots of rain and wind....

Fordham
November 1st, 2014, 12:26 PM
Colgate with two nice 3rd down conversions to extend their drive here.

Fordham
November 1st, 2014, 12:39 PM
Backup QB looks very sharp. Rams up 13-0 after missing the PAT

Go...gate
November 1st, 2014, 12:48 PM
Not looking good for Colgate so far.

Go...gate
November 1st, 2014, 12:52 PM
But Colgate rips off a 77 yard drive in six plays (big play a 46-yard scamper by QB Mooney). Score now 13-6 after Fordham blocks Colgate PAT.

Fordham
November 1st, 2014, 12:53 PM
Your O is moving the ball better than ours right now, Go...gate

Go...gate
November 1st, 2014, 01:13 PM
I think in these conditions, experience will prevail. Colgate is a relatively young club. Fordham has been through a lot of these kind of games in bad weather conditions. Glad we are in the fight, though.

Fordham
November 1st, 2014, 01:16 PM
ugh - 2nd blocked PAT for us but nice drive to get the TD right before the half

Go...gate
November 1st, 2014, 01:16 PM
Fordham scores. Leading 19-6 with the PAT coming up.

Gater
November 1st, 2014, 01:27 PM
Fordham's QB doing a great job. Great scrambling and some nice passes. Really looked like Fordham fumbled on the 1. Tough break for Colgate. Colgate's D playing better than O at this point but Fordham has started three drives inside Colgate 40. Fordham will win going away if that continues. Four blocked kicks and one missed field goal between the two teams.

Fordham
November 1st, 2014, 01:32 PM
I think you guys came to play. Certainly were taking it to our D to start - just shoving it down our throats. We seem to have made some adjustments on D on the 2nd Q drives though and have settled in.

On O, you guys are doing a nice job bottling up Edmonds, which is what you had to do. The reason we're up is because, as you wrote Gater, Maetzold is doing a great job. You had to force us into putting the game in Maetzold's hands and so far it's worked out ok for us.

Gater
November 1st, 2014, 01:58 PM
Fordham came out of the locker room fired up. Not sure what happened on Mooney's first pick where receiver was out of bounds but second pick was ugly. Game going in a bad direction for 'gate.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 1st, 2014, 02:00 PM
People didn't believe me when I said Fordham was a once-in-generation offense. Even without Nebrich they're deadly.

Gater
November 1st, 2014, 02:12 PM
Second fumble by Edmonds on the one not called. Seems like Rams would have recovered anyway. Colgate stops them on the one. Rams force fumble on one for TD but changed to safety. Seems like refs are calling game around goal line that as soon as player is hit progress is stopped. Couldn't see when Colgate runner lost the ball but it's just a poorly offciated game at this point. Fordham looking to pull away.

Gater
November 1st, 2014, 02:21 PM
Armineto gets pick for Colgate. Colgate seems to fumble on run but not called. Couldn't see where ball came out on my computer but Fordham player was standing there with ball. Always easy to blame refs when you're down three scores but it's bad both ways.

Vooter
November 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
34-6, Rams, middle of the fourth...

Gater
November 1st, 2014, 03:03 PM
Good to see a senior backup play so well. Wish it hadn't come against 'gate. Maetzold did an amazing job at slipping sure sacks and made some really good throws. Colgate's passing game was pretty rough. Fordham's 18 senior starters wore down a young Colgate team. Hope you guys beat Army and make some noise in the playoffs.

FordhamFan
November 1st, 2014, 04:21 PM
^Let's hope we beat Bucknell first

Gater
November 1st, 2014, 07:40 PM
Purposely left Bucknell out of there. Hoping for a Bucknell win and Colgate winning out to split the title. Fordham would make the playoffs. Bucknell would have a good shot as well.