PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs? Where does your team stand

knucklehead
October 30th, 2014, 11:39 AM
A great blog post from Chris Lang http://m.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/fcs-playoff-watch-where-does-your-team-stand/article_ddf3dd94-604d-11e4-b995-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

UNIFanSince1983
October 30th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I can tell you. UNI is out. They might be "hanging by a thread", but after this weekend and next that thread will rip.

McNeese72
October 30th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I don't even have to read it. McNeese has to win out or the chances of getting in are very slim.

We still haven't beaten anybody decent, yet. So, I'm not holding my breath. One game at a time, one game at a time. This week it is Northwestern St.

knucklehead
October 30th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I hear ya. liberty is pretty much in the same boat. If the one loss is ccu...maybe. really hate to put it back in the committee's hands again....for the umpteenth time.

Grizalltheway
October 30th, 2014, 12:14 PM
On the verge, I'm afraid.

lionsrking2
October 30th, 2014, 12:17 PM
My guess is we'll have to win our final three to lock up a bid. We could lose one more and finish with eight countable D-I wins at 8-4, but not sure it would be enough.

Mattymc727
October 30th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Pretty solid overview. I get confused with all of the bubble teams and who needs to beat who, but this makes the next weeks very entertaining for FCS fans. Great post!

Walkon79
October 30th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Such a big game this weekend in Cali! If the Cats win I'm feeling really good about the next two at home. ISU scares me a little but they haven't won in Bozeman in I don't know how long. I'm confident we can out score ISU.

We should be playing for the conference championship in Missoula on the 22nd!

tribe_pride
October 30th, 2014, 01:04 PM
He forgot about the Tribe. Should be on the bubble with Richmond and JMU.

BisonTru
October 30th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Not sure if the Tribe will make the playoffs, but they certainly should be in the conversation or at least the article.

KPSUL
October 30th, 2014, 01:40 PM
William and Mary wll be in if they win out, and have a decent shot if the lose one and it is to Richmond or JMU

IaaScribe
October 30th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Just an oversight on William & Mary. Sorry about that. It's been fixed. Thanks everyone for reading.

BEAR
October 30th, 2014, 02:09 PM
UCA ...HAS...to win out to get 8 DI wins plus a share of the conference..

But even then SFA has the "longest time away from the playoffs" spot if they win out and SELA will have 9 division I wins and a good ranking...

SO>......... even winning out will make it tough for the bears... imagine that...

Grizalltheway
October 30th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Such a big game this weekend in Cali! If the Cats win I'm feeling really good about the next two at home. ISU scares me a little but they haven't won in Bozeman in I don't know how long. I'm confident we can out score ISU.

That would be effin' awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much just yet.

WileECoyote06
October 30th, 2014, 02:13 PM
MEACEliminated: x-Savannah State (0-8), Howard (1-7), Hampton (2-6), Delaware State (2-7), x-Florida A&M (2-6), North Carolina Central (4-4), Morgan State (4-4), Norfolk State (3-5), South Carolina State (5-3).

On the bubble

North Carolina A&T (7-2): First off, I put South Carolina State in the eliminated category because the Bulldogs won’t get in as a four-loss at-large. They are, however, in control of their fate in the MEAC auto-bid race having beaten both A&T and Bethune-Cookman. A&T has no business being in the at-large discussion with its GPI of 49 and no quality wins. But this committee loves to reward this mediocre (natch, awful) conference on a yearly basis with an at-large bid, and you can bet a 10-2 A&T team would get in ahead of a much more deserving 8-4 team from a better conference.

Bethune-Cookman (6-2): Cookman at least beat an FBS team, albeit a terrible one in Florida International. Like A&T, Cookman will have to get to 10-2 to get a sniff, and the toughest game remaining figures to be the Nov. 6 game at Norfolk State. The rest of FCS should just be rooting for either A&T or Cookman to lose again, because I don’t think 9-3 with two conference losses will get it done, the committee’s weird love for the MEAC notwithstanding.

Cookman beat an FBS team rated 99 by Massey Composite compared to 115 App State, which is hailed as a signature win for Liberty. The MEAC has received three at-large bids in fifteen years. Hardly a yearly basis. Two of those three years the at-large has gone to the MEAC co-champion.

It's hard to take his analysis seriously, when he obviously crosses over from being a journalist to a fan boy. He might as well have just created a thread on AGS.

ElonFirefighter
October 30th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I think we have a great shot at the Auto bid or an at large.... oh were talking football not futball. Never mind

MTfan4life
October 30th, 2014, 02:19 PM

Actually, the last time ISU beat the Cats, the game was in Bozeman in 2003 with Mankind, err I mean Jared Allen. It would be pretty sweet for that to happen, but NAU would have to lose once as they would own the tiebreaker over the Griz.

Sader87
October 30th, 2014, 02:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwH__x6jV6A Much like Kramer, HC is out.....

centennial
October 30th, 2014, 02:47 PM
[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Cookman beat an FBS team rated 99 by Massey Composite compared to 115 App State, which is hailed as a signature win for Liberty. The MEAC has received three at-large bids in fifteen years. Hardly a yearly basis. Two of those three years the at-large has gone to the MEAC co-champion.

It's hard to take his analysis seriously, when he obviously crosses over from being a journalist to a fan boy. He might as well have just created a thread on AGS.
Or maybe the teams should deserve an at large regardless of getting 9-10 wins. Especially when 7 of them are D2 level teams, you are also free to schedule a hard OOC and win it so that other fans will have respect for your conference. Also helps the computer rankings.

Daytripper
October 30th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Sam Houston wins out, I believe they are in based on tie breakers. One loss the rest of the way...no chance.

centennial
October 30th, 2014, 02:50 PM
[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Or maybe the teams should deserve an at large regardless of getting 9-10 wins. Especially when 7 of them are D2 level teams, you are also free to schedule a hard OOC and win it so that other fans will have respect for your conference. Also helps the computer rankings.

WileECoyote06
October 30th, 2014, 02:56 PM

But this writer is supposed to be a journalist; giving an analysis of the at-large scenario. I have no problem with his legitimate statements saying A&T shouldn't be near an at-large with an SRS of 49. That was enough. The other stuff was just griping and on top of that wasn't completely true.

smilo
October 30th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Absolutely flawless article. I don't think I disagree with a single team, and when you are dealing with such a large pool, that's quite impressive. Nice job!

IaaScribe
October 30th, 2014, 03:13 PM
You know what, you're right. I went back and eliminated the unnecessary snark and added that the MEAC has only received at-larges twice in the four years since the field was expanded.

rokamortis
October 30th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Someone gunning for a certain job in PA? Hmmmmm.

j/k - Nice Job Mr. Lang.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Well with only 8 wins, I hope the Bison have a good enough resume to get in.

http://s3.pikabu.ru/images/big_size_comm/2014-02_3/1392396784981.jpeg

knucklehead
October 30th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Snark is Never unnecessary. The reality is that we have a bit of a moving target since its still earlyish. With that in mind. I thought this was a great shot at coming as close as possible in a very thorough way.

rokamortis
October 30th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Lang - I'd like to see you add a weekly prediction of the playoff field, if you are so inclined.

IaaScribe
October 30th, 2014, 03:35 PM
The plan is to start that next week. We'll have a lot more clarity after some of this weekend's games, especially in the SoCon, Southland and Big South.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 30th, 2014, 04:22 PM
The CAA will begin to shape up after this weeks games. Of course, I'm pulling for JMU to win out and make it difficult to keep them out of the field. Most likely UR, W&M and JMU will beat each other up and all will be left out of the field.

Go Dukes

blackbeard
October 30th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Gotta win out after throwing up all over ourselves last week. Of course that was the most likely case anyway as an NEC team. Conference has to build its resume a few more years to "deserve" consideration for an at-large. Depending on what happens in some other conferences I do think Bryant has a shot if they win all except at SHU and finishes 9-2.

centennial
October 30th, 2014, 05:10 PM
The plan is to start that next week. We'll have a lot more clarity after some of this weekend's games, especially in the SoCon, Southland and Big South.
Good job BTW regardless of what the meac fans think.

WestCoastAggie
October 30th, 2014, 08:38 PM
If my Aggies win out, I won't care if we make it in or not. Winning 10 games is huge for us and sets us up well for 2015. It would be nice to have a playoff game but no need to sweat it at this point. My guys are still learning how to win on the FCS level.

WileECoyote06
October 30th, 2014, 09:36 PM
You know what, you're right. I went back and eliminated the unnecessary snark and added that the MEAC has only received at-larges twice in the four years since the field was expanded.

Thanks for your response.

Walkon79
October 30th, 2014, 10:47 PM
That would be effin' awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much just yet.

Well to be honest I meant the Cats would be playing for the title, I didn't mean both of us :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tomq04
October 30th, 2014, 11:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Obligatory Mora.

What’s that? Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs?You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game.

Grizalltheway
October 31st, 2014, 12:12 AM
Well to be honest I meant the Cats would be playing for the title, I didn't mean both of us :)

Well, in that case, you'll be lucky to be going into that game with without 4 losses already in hand. :D

Big Dawg
October 31st, 2014, 03:33 AM
I just hope we can win a game

http://casualkhakisblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/jim-mora.jpg

robsnotes4u
October 31st, 2014, 12:47 PM

I thought it was pretty obviousxthumbsupx

AggieManiac704
October 31st, 2014, 12:51 PM
3 losses will have A&T on the outside looking in.

Walkon79
October 31st, 2014, 03:55 PM
Well, in that case, you'll be lucky to be going into that game with without 4 losses already in hand. :D

:p:p

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2014, 05:53 PM
Gotta win out. Pretty slim odds.

skinny_uncle
October 31st, 2014, 06:38 PM
Pretty good article although there is no mention of EIU or Tenn.-Martin in the OVC section in any category.

ngineer
October 31st, 2014, 07:07 PM
Will let you know after this weekend...(;-)

IaaScribe
October 31st, 2014, 08:47 PM
Pretty good article although there is no mention of EIU or Tenn.-Martin in the OVC section in any category.

Thanks for that catch. They were supposed to be in the eliminated section of the OVC, at least from at-large consideration.

ejjones
November 1st, 2014, 08:41 AM
[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

He lost me...put Sc State in the eliminated column? And then state that a 4 loss won't get a sniff at an at-large when they clearly only have 3 losses & beat both teams that are listed on the bubble...

kalm
November 1st, 2014, 11:11 AM
Very solid effort, Scribe.

centennial
November 1st, 2014, 01:06 PM
He lost me...put Sc State in the eliminated column? And then state that a 4 loss won't get a sniff at an at-large when they clearly only have 3 losses & beat both teams that are listed on the bubble...
You obviously don't live in reality. Don't worry, neither does the committee, maybe they will give your team an at large again. I only hope that you get matched up with a MVFC or any other top team..

WileECoyote06
November 1st, 2014, 01:36 PM

I read it twice. He's analyzing the shot at an at-large and currently SCSU would gain the autobid if they win out. They would not be granted an at-large bid if they don't finish as co-champions as they'd have four losses instead of three. So that part is accurate.

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2014, 04:58 PM
IN!

BEAR
November 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM
After today, we don't.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 1st, 2014, 09:19 PM
We need to win out and pray for some upsets and lucky tie breakers.

Maybe the Pope could lend a hand (or a prayer)? He shares the university's name!

EDIT

Apparently, we are already ineligible because of sanctions and our previous losses. Oh well, we can still have a winning season. (No small thing for the Red Flash)

skinny_uncle
November 1st, 2014, 10:32 PM
Anyone want to list the teams who got eliminated today?

JMUNJ08
November 1st, 2014, 11:05 PM
A few with an outside shot lost: Presby, Monmouth, Mizzu St., Western Carolina & Central Arkansas.... Big Sky go murkier but all still alive for at large bids...

knucklehead
November 2nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
Lang's update after this week's games!

Great job again.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/fcs-playoff-watch-three-weeks-out/article_cb3e7b5c-62b2-11e4-9777-0017a43b2370.html

Grizalltheway
November 2nd, 2014, 03:23 PM
Win two of the last three and we've got a decent shot, win all three and the deal is sealed.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2014, 03:49 PM
Booking my ticket to Frisco. Getting my reservation at the Embassy.

penguinpower
November 2nd, 2014, 07:13 PM
Booking my ticket to Frisco. Getting my reservation at the Embassy.

the Embassy is for people that live in the 1980s you must be 40 to 50 years old. I'm being a smartass so don't take it the wrong way

WestCoastAggie
November 2nd, 2014, 07:30 PM
If A&T beats Morgan State, you can pretty much pencil us with a 10-2 record. We are the only team that played Coastal Carolina the toughest and our loss to S. Carolna State was at a neutral site without our best offensive player Quick.

Our resume is really interesting this year, if we reach 10 wins (9 Div-1 victories).

NoDak 4 Ever
November 2nd, 2014, 07:57 PM
the Embassy is for people that live in the 1980s you must be 40 to 50 years old. I'm being a smartass so don't take it the wrong way

That place was awesome the last 2 years. Overlooks the ballpark we have our rally at and walking distance to 3rd Base

That notwithstanding, I'm 42

WileECoyote06
November 2nd, 2014, 08:23 PM
If A&T beats Morgan State, you can pretty much pencil us with a 10-2 record. We are the only team that played Coastal Carolina the toughest and our loss to S. Carolna State was at a neutral site without our best offensive player Quick.

Our resume is really interesting this year, if we reach 10 wins (9 Div-1 victories).

The sad thing is if things hold the line, A&T is probably the odd team out. BCU has a better SOS, an FBS win, and lost at SCSU. However an ace in the hole for A&T is that Hilton is on the playoff selection committee.

kalm
November 2nd, 2014, 08:26 PM
The sad thing is if things hold the line, A&T is probably the odd team out. BCU has a better SOS, an FBS win, and lost at SCSU. However an ace in the hole for A&T is that Hilton is on the playoff selection committee.

Not to be a dick, but A&T's best win is against Massey's 293 highest rated team in Elon. Again, I'm not a huge computer fan but there are 50-some FCS teams ranked ahead of A&T.

penguinpower
November 2nd, 2014, 10:40 PM
That place was awesome the last 2 years. Overlooks the ballpark we have our rally at and walking distance to 3rd Base

That notwithstanding, I'm 42

In 40 and the last 3 I've stayed in have been garbage but the kids think it's the best thing since sliced bread

WestCoastAggie
November 2nd, 2014, 10:40 PM

Meh... Playoffs or no playoffs; to see A&T win 10 games is an amazing thing to witness. We will be celebrating that feat in Aggieland if it happens.

WestCoastAggie
November 2nd, 2014, 10:44 PM
Not to be a dick, but A&T's best win is against Massey's 293 highest rated team in Elon. Again, I'm not a huge computer fan but there are 50-some FCS teams ranked ahead of A&T.

Meh... We had Coastal Carolina on the ropes and we let 'em off the hook. We didn't know how to close out games nor did we have our offense rolling like we do now. Next year will be our year, however.