PDA

View Full Version : FAMU Slammed For Handling of Holmes Firing

FYI85
October 29th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Ex-State senator says FAMU should fire Kellen Winslow Sr. for the way he handled Holmes' firing

http://www.hbcugameday.com/2014/10/fallout-from-famus-holmes-firing.html

BEAR
October 29th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Sad. Great program to end up like this. :(

C'mon FAMU.... do better.

FormerPokeCenter
October 29th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Give Winslow some time....I bet he gets it turned around....

NFL hall of famer who worked through several knee surgeries to get out there and perform...

He knows what it takes to succeed. The traditionalists at FAMU need to STFU and let the man do his job...

Homecoming doesnt have a damn thing to do with the head coach, who SHOULD be busy coaching and finding a way to win...

FYI85
October 29th, 2014, 04:27 PM

NFL hall of famer who worked through several knee surgeries to get out there and perform...

He knows what it takes to succeed. The traditionalists at FAMU need to STFU and let the man do his job...

Homecoming doesnt have a damn thing to do with the head coach, who SHOULD be busy coaching and finding a way to win...

Obviously, you aren't very familiar with the workings of HBCU culture. Homecoming is and will always be a big deal at HBCUs. Alumni flock to the schools and they have fundraisers where they wine and dine supporters and convince the ones that do give to keep giving. The senator who is complaining about the way it was done is a donor and his name is on the school's new arena. I don't care what kind of school you are, pissing off alumni that contribute is never a smart move.

Maybe FAMU needs to realize it wasn't what it was, but Winslow also needs to realize that he isn't at Ohio State or Florida State. Money is a real issue for FAMU, and now they'll have to pay Holmes and a new coach for the a year-and-a half. Holmes wasn't great, or even necessarily good, but this was done pretty backhanded.

Big Dawg
October 29th, 2014, 10:35 PM

i totally agree

blackcaesar3k5
October 30th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Kellen Winslow was failure as the Athletic Director at Central State and made terrible decisions when it came to hiring head football coaches..

FAMU should at least gave Earl Holmes two more years to turn the Rattlers program around..

dgtw
October 30th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Unless a coach has done something illegal, broken NCAA rules or is caught sleeping with a coed, I do not like firing a coach at midseason.

Big Dawg
October 30th, 2014, 11:26 AM
FAMU should at least gave Earl Holmes two more years to turn the Rattlers program around..

No...Holmes was hired with minimal experience...his only coaching experience was as a co-defensive coordinator at FAMU(he was hired in 2008)

I understand he played 10+ years in the NFL, but becoming the head coach of a Division I program is an entirely different beast.

I will agree with you on the midseason firing, however

blackcaesar3k5
October 30th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Some of my relatives played at FAMU for likes of Jake Gaither, Rudy Hubbard, Ken Riley and William Joe..

FAMU gave Ken Riley more time than this to rebuild program back in eighties..

kdinva
November 7th, 2014, 11:14 AM
things getting murkier........

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Florida A&M: The Florida A&M trustees’ athletics committee has issued a vote of no confidence in athletics director Kellen Winslow, according to Doug Blackburn of the Tallahassee Democrat.

superman7515
November 7th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Unless a coach ... is caught sleeping with a coed, I do not like firing a coach at midseason.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, 'cause I've worked in a lot of schools and I tell you, people do that all the time.

Big Dawg
November 7th, 2014, 05:14 PM
things getting murkier........

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Winslow pissed a lot of Rattlers off last week...

kdinva
December 15th, 2014, 11:39 AM
AD Winslow just quit.........

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker