PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-27

JALMOND
October 29th, 2014, 12:57 AM
So the Big Sky had one of those "What the hell just happened" weekend last weekend where two strong teams, Eastern Washington and Montana both lost. Scary to say that the only thing that might have saved Montana State from the same, cruel fate was that the Bobcats had a bye last weekend. Now what was a two horse race to the top has now, this late in October, transformed into a six team race, with each one thinking they have what it takes to become conference champion. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only, and I have a feeling this week is going to be some great discussion. Have at it.

1. Montana State (2)---With all the casualties around them the Bobcats may have benefited the most by not playing. Sitting out the week has no doubt prepared them to head out on the road and play suddenly dangerous Cal Poly. Hoping they don't meet the same fate that Montana had...

2. Eastern Washington (1)---For some strange reason, the Eagles forgot to play the game last weekend at Northern Arizona to the finish and watched the Lumberjacks steal what was their win. Eager to shake off the shock of losing, the Eagles come home to face North Dakota.

3. Cal Poly (4)---What was the most shocking for the Mustangs was probably not that they beat Montana at home last weekend, but how they did it with relative ease. They let the Grizzlies hang around in the first half, then shut the door in the second half. They get another chance to shock this weekend as Montana State comes to town.

4. Idaho State (5)---Face it, this is not the Bengals of old. They went on the road to Northern Colorado and took care of the Bears the way a confident leading team would. They get to continue their magical season this weekend at Portland State.

5. Northern Arizona (6)---Hopelessly looking at a long way from victory, the Lumberjacks somehow willed their way to the win against Eastern Washington last week. Winning on the road has been their downfall so far and they go to Weber State this weekend.

6. Montana (3)---The Grizzlies headed out on the road last weekend to Cal Poly hoping for a good showing and a good win. However they got neither and it wasn't even much of a game after the third quarter. They head home this weekend and welcome Sacramento State.

7. Sacramento State (7)---Last week, the Hornets avoided all the carnage around them by taking the weekend off. They used it to prepare, for sure, for this weekend's game at suddenly vulnerable Montana. Can they rub salt in the Grizzlies' wound.

8. Southern Utah (8)---The Thunderbirds brought in North Dakota this weekend and made sure the upset bid would not hit them, putting away North Dakota. Their reward this weekend is the opportunity to take the weekend off.

9. Portland State (11)---The Vikings finally put together a complete game on the road at the expense of winless Weber State last weekend. Seeking to do it again against a more formidable opponent, they entertain Idaho State in their friendly stadium.

10. North Dakota (10)---The No-Names tried to get a road win last weekend at Southern Utah but fell short in the end. Things do not get any easier for them this weekend as they have to hit the road and play a very angry Eastern Washington team.

11. Northern Colorado (9)---The Bears had an opportunity to stop Idaho State's surprising season last weekend at home, but failed (like so many teams before them). Things may be easier for them this weekend as they head on the road to play UC-Davis. OK, maybe that is not easier.

12. Weber State (12)---The Wildcats quest for their first win went away rather quickly last weekend at Portland State. Still hoping for their first win, they get world beaters Northern Arizona, who has looked beatable on the road this season.

13. UC-Davis (13)---Everyone else was getting in the action of pulling upsets and the Aggies pick a bad time for a week off. Still, it would mean a lot to get a win this weekend when Northern Colorado comes to town.

RECAP: 1-6 bunched up, 7-8 behind them, 9-13 behind.

tomq04
October 29th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Looks pretty good to me.

veinup
October 29th, 2014, 10:27 AM
no salt rubbing please

wapiti
October 29th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Looks good. Now to list who is still in the run for playoff consideration using 7 Div 1 wins as the criteria.

1. Montana State --- Must win 2 of 4. @CP, PSU, ISU, @UM

2. Eastern Washington --- Must win 1 of 3. UND, UM, @PSU

3. Cal Poly --- Must win 2 of 4. MSU, @ISU, UC Davis, @San Diego

4. Idaho State --- Must win 4 of 4. @PSU, CP, @MSU, Weber

5. Northern Arizona --- Must win 3 of 4. @Weber, UC Davis, @UND, SUU

6. Montana --- Must win 3 of 4. Sac, @EWU, @SUU, MSU

7. Sacramento State --- Must win 4 of 4. @UM, SUU, PSU, @UC Davis

8. Southern Utah ---OUT

9. Portland State ---OUT

10. North Dakota ---Must win 4 of 4. @EWU, Weber, NAU, @NC

11. Northern Colorado ---OUT

12. Weber State ---OUT

13. UC-Davis ---OUT

darell1976
October 29th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Looks good. Now to list who is still in the run for playoff consideration using 7 Div 1 wins as the criteria.

1. Montana State --- Must win 2 of 4. @CP, PSU, ISU, @UM

2. Eastern Washington --- Must win 1 of 3. UND, UM, @PSU

3. Cal Poly --- Must win 2 of 4. MSU, @ISU, UC Davis, @San Diego

4. Idaho State --- Must win 4 of 4. @PSU, CP, @MSU, Weber

5. Northern Arizona --- Must win 3 of 4. @Weber, UC Davis, @UND, SUU

6. Montana --- Must win 3 of 4. Sac, @EWU, @SUU, MSU

7. Sacramento State --- Must win 4 of 4. @UM, SUU, PSU, @UC Davis

8. Southern Utah ---OUT

9. Portland State ---OUT

10. North Dakota ---Must win 4 of 4. @EWU, Weber, NAU, @NC

11. Northern Colorado ---OUT

12. Weber State ---OUT

13. UC-Davis ---OUT

You might as well have us out. We may be playing either a 3rd string QB without any previous playing time, a true Freshman whose redshirt may come off, or a WR who played QB in high school. The injury bug is hitting us big time. Just getting to 4 wins may be a challenge now.

deez_na
October 29th, 2014, 11:15 AM
UND is out too, 5 losses won't get a playoff spot

tomq04
October 29th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Throw in the WR and see what happens!

darell1976
October 29th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Throw in the WR and see what happens!

He may give Adams a run for his money. xlolx In seriousness there hasn't been a starter named yet, as they hope Bartels (our #2 QB) is ready to go.

wapiti
October 30th, 2014, 12:05 PM
UND is out too, 5 losses won't get a playoff spot

My criteria was 7 Div 1 wins. If UND wins out they will have 7 Div 1 wins and will have finished on a 4 game winning streak.
That will get them consideration to be in the playoffs.

But that being said chances are EWU will thump UND this saturday and completly snuff out UND's slim playoff hopes.

Grizalltheway
October 30th, 2014, 12:17 PM
My criteria was 7 Div 1 wins. If UND wins out they will have 7 Div 1 wins and will have finished on a 4 game winning streak.
That will get them consideration to be in the playoffs.

But that being said chances are EWU will thump UND this saturday and completly snuff out UND's slim playoff hopes.

They've already been snuffed. See -----> http://m.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/fcs-playoff-watch-where-does-your-team-stand/article_ddf3dd94-604d-11e4-b995-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Walkon79
October 30th, 2014, 12:34 PM
If the Cats get by Cal Poly.......

We finish with 3 at home. xlolxxlolx

wapiti
October 30th, 2014, 12:36 PM
They've already been snuffed. See -----> http://m.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/fcs-playoff-watch-where-does-your-team-stand/article_ddf3dd94-604d-11e4-b995-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

I was to lazy to include 5 or more losses as a critera to eliminate a team from consideration.

ThreadStopper
October 31st, 2014, 09:25 PM
If the Cats get by Cal Poly.......

We finish with 3 at home. xlolxxlolx

You will finish the season at home win or loose at San Luis Obispo. I just hope you have one more loss hanging on you!

tomq04
November 1st, 2014, 11:09 PM
Things got awfully interesting.
1. EWU
2. Cal Poly
3. ISU
4. MSU
5. NAU/Griz
6. the rest

In seriousness, NAU and the Griz are very alive, but I think Idaho State is the real contender here.

Red & Black
November 1st, 2014, 11:23 PM
The CP @ ISU game is going to be really interesting.

veinup
November 1st, 2014, 11:23 PM
this **** is getting craayyyzayyyy

MTfan4life
November 2nd, 2014, 01:01 AM
1. EWU
2. Cal Poly
3. ISU
4. MSU
5. NAU/Griz
6. the rest

In seriousness, NAU and the Griz are very alive, but I think Idaho State is the real contender here.

I think all NAU has to do is win out and they get the auto-bid. I may be wrong, but I do know that they are the only team who would be undefeated in head-to-head play against other teams from the group. Head to head is the first tiebreaker.

robsnotes4u
November 2nd, 2014, 07:16 AM
1. EWU
2. Cal Poly
3. ISU
4. MSU
5. NAU/Griz
6. the rest

That was my thoughts this morning also. Weird.

EWU defense shines against UND, even though UND had a 3rd or 4th stringer playing QB.

Montana holds Sac to less than Montana State and scores less.

Montana State's defense does better than Montana against Cal Poly

ISU and PSU equal in the stats except for PSU has 6 TOs. ISU only wins by 18

What a mess the conference is in.

tomq04
November 2nd, 2014, 09:36 AM
NAU will get the auto bid, and in theory EWU will have the higher seeding assuming we win our last 2 (sorry griz). The last spot will go to CP/ISU/MSU depending on the out comes of the ISU games. If MSU can hold on they get the nod, if they lose to ISU and ISU beats CP ISU will get seat #3 and everyone's mind will be blown.

#tales from the toilet

Ginsbach
November 2nd, 2014, 09:44 AM

It is, which is something that couldn't be said about most of ISU's games in the past. When I was in Pocatello for grad school during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, there were very few games that mattered and Holt Arena was empty. It's great to see the improvement.

dewey
November 2nd, 2014, 10:01 AM

Crazy to imagine the Idaho State Cal Poly winner in mid November has a great shot at the conference championship.

Boy I love college football!

Dewey

veinup
November 2nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
heard poly got a td taken away for highstepping? did that actually happen?

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM
Yes. It was pretty hilarious.

tingly
November 2nd, 2014, 05:49 PM
highstepping video
http://www.ksby.com/news/cal-poly-earns-fifth-straight-victory-with-35-27-upset-of-no-8-9-montana-state

I wouldn't want to be him at the next practice.

slostang
November 2nd, 2014, 05:57 PM

Yep. Stupid and lucky it did not cost Cal Poly. Had they not taken the points off the board the final score would have been 42-27.

Grizzlies82
November 2nd, 2014, 06:04 PM
Yep. Stupid and lucky it did not cost Cal Poly. Had they not taken the points off the board the final score would have been 42-27.

Really, REALLY, odd to see a touchdown taken away for that penalty.
Yes the kid had an easy score, understandable that he was excited, but why didn't he just cross the line then do his silly little dance?????
SLOstang, watched both of these games (UM & MSU) and was impressed with Poly's ability, that is a solid team!

dgreco
November 2nd, 2014, 06:05 PM
Similar thing happened in the Bryant game, Bryant RB, McCray, did a faux stiff-arm/wave to the players at the 5 (on a 48 yd TD run) and the TD was called back. Never saw it before yesterday, and I guess it happened in multiple games.

lionsrking2
November 2nd, 2014, 06:21 PM
Really, REALLY, odd to see a touchdown taken away for that penalty.
Yes the kid had an easy score, understandable that he was excited, but why didn't he just cross the line then do his silly little dance?????
SLOstang, watched both of these games (UM & MSU) and was impressed with Poly's ability, that is a solid team!

That's a bad call IMO. I don't think he was showboating as much as he was trying to deceive the defender who had an angle on him. Had he been clearly several yards ahead, and did the drum major high step with his hand behind his head, go ahead and throw the flag ... but not for that.

Walkon79
November 2nd, 2014, 08:30 PM
That's a bad call IMO. I don't think he was showboating as much as he was trying to deceive the defender who had an angle on him. Had he been clearly several yards ahead, and did the drum major high step with his hand behind his head, go ahead and throw the flag ... but not for that.

I thought it was clearly taunting. But I only watched it once live, and I'm biased :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lionsrking2
November 2nd, 2014, 08:39 PM
I thought it was clearly taunting. But I only watched it once live, and I'm biased :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I get the bias:) but nothing clear about it to me. Let em play.

Red & Black
November 2nd, 2014, 09:11 PM
I get the bias:) but nothing clear about it to me. Let em play.

I guess by the new rule, it was the correct call to take the points off the board. But what I thought the refs got wrong was the spot. Seems like he got a 1st down prior to the "high step" he got flagged for. I feel like it a should have been 1st down and 25 or whatever after the penalty yards factored in, but they made it 4th down and forever. Bad call IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veinup
November 2nd, 2014, 09:56 PM
silly rule. maybe okay to penalize for it but to take away a TD is ridiculous. add yards to the extra point or kickoff or something.

Rjones61
November 3rd, 2014, 05:05 AM
You should only erase a touchdown if the offense did something illegal to give themselves leverage. Period.

tingly
November 4th, 2014, 12:46 PM
4th down was correct. It's crystal clear in the rulebook. I have no doubt that it was highstepping for no good reason I'm ridiculously biased for Poly.