PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Autobid game? Chatty @ WCU

Southern Bison
October 27th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Excited to see (in person) the spectacular turnaround in Cullowhee this weekend that Speirs has started. Chattanooga continues thier tradition of early season domination. Is this the year they finally reach the playoffs or do the Catamounts continue their Cinderella season?

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2014, 08:09 PM
It Chatty wins Wofford could still play a role but if the Cats win the autobid is pretty much theirs since they'll have essentially a 1.5 game lead in the conference with tie breakers over Wofford and Chatty and only 2 SOCON games left after this week, one of which should be a snoozer at home against VMI.

catamount man
October 27th, 2014, 08:19 PM
If WCU does win, they still have to go to Samford. At 6-2, they have passed my preseason predictions of 5 wins but more wins can only help in recruiting. WCU finally has an offensive line that resembles a D1 team and that has helped pave the way to rack some good impressive numbers. I want them to win them all, but no matter what happens, Coach SPEIR and his staff are laying one hell of a foundation in Jackson County, NC. GO CATS!

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2014, 08:25 PM
If WCU does win, they still have to go to Samford. At 6-2, they have passed my preseason predictions of 5 wins but more wins can only help in recruiting. WCU finally has an offensive line that resembles a D1 team and that has helped pave the way to rack some good impressive numbers. I want them to win them all, but no matter what happens, Coach SPEIR and his staff are laying one hell of a foundation in Jackson County, NC. GO CATS!
Yeah, but Samford already has two conference losses so WCU could drop that game and still have head-to-head tie breakers over the only other two teams with one conference loss (Wofford and Chatty if they lose on Saturday). Basically, the Cats secure the autobid with a win on Saturday and a win in one of their last two @Samford or vs VMI. If they can't take down Samford I'd have to think VMI will be easy pickings but you never know.

walliver
October 27th, 2014, 08:33 PM
WCU needs to win this game. If they lose, they would basically have to beat Alabama to get an at-large. Although there is a chance they could win the tiebreaker in a three-way tie.
Chatty would like to win this game, but would still have a good chance at an at-large bid if they won the remainder of their games.

Southern Bison
October 27th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Considering the Cats' last game is at Alabama, their season has only 3 weeks left...VMI is a win & Sammy should be a win. It comes down to this Saturday.

The Cats
October 27th, 2014, 08:34 PM
The Cats are taking it one game at time. The Mocs will be tough, and if the game was in Chattanooga, i'd be very worried. Hell, I'm very worried anyway with the game in Cullowhee. But the Cats really want to defend the home turf this season, and that just might be the edge they need.

Southern Bison
October 27th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Ticket prices? Where to sit? Tailgate locations of AGS members?

Look for some Green & Gold in Cullowhee and come say Hello!

chattanoogamocs
October 27th, 2014, 09:06 PM
After watching the Mocs lose so many close "get over the hump" games over the last few years...outside of APSU and VMI, every game makes me nervous.

Here is another chance.

...at least it's never boring. :)

tenNesseeCat
October 27th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Excited to see (in person) the spectacular turnaround in Cullowhee this weekend that Speirs has started. Chattanooga continues thier tradition of early season domination. Is this the year they finally reach the playoffs or do the Catamounts continue their Cinderella season?

Are you going up just for the game? Lots of beautiful drives not far from Cullowhee! Great hiking, trout fishing, amazing golf, the smokies! I think the fall colors are starting to show up.

Win or lose on Saturday for the cats, it's exciting to have a game of this importance in EJ Whitmire! I think the team knows they are capable of wining Saturday, it's about poise and execution. Speir appears to have the character it took to right the ship, but he's had help from the AD and chancellor. I think they have all played a significant role in this process. A process that is still in progress. I hope we all get to enjoy a clean competitive game between former bottom feeders turned SoCon leaders! Watch the Sudler Trophy winning, Pride of the Mountains Marching Band at halftime. They are always impressive!

tenNesseeCat
October 27th, 2014, 09:50 PM

Tickets online right now for as cheep as $13 I believe. I like to sit high on the east side(bigger side with press box) i like the seats just covered by the awning from the press box. You can stay somewhat dry there if it rains. I sat on the west side in 04 for a scrimmage, but I felt out of place. Less glare for day games over there, but no view of the mountains like the east side! All on what you like. Cheap tix will be east side! I want to try Paws Porch sometime, it just looks like my wife's ideal "viewing" environment!

The Cats
October 27th, 2014, 09:51 PM

Tickets - $13.00 - $23.00 - https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/BuyNew.asp?EventID=108649&SponsorID=6403#.VE8C4PnF-So

I'd get something on the newer west stands - the sun will be to your back - on the east side for a 2 pm game, the sun can be wicked and hard on your eyes, but might feel good this time of the year. If you like to sit high, for a better view, the east side is for you.

Most visitors go to the one of the two parking lots around the baseball stadium for tailgating. You can see their location on this map - http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/2013_Football_Parking_Map.pdf

If you want to join in with some WCU fans, check out the Catamount Tailgating Club - they will take you in and feed you as well, a great group of Catamount fans. They set up in Lot 4C behind the Cordelia Camp building.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Catamount-Fans-Tailgating-Club/126113944130417

http://catamount.boards.net/thread/6506/tailgate-location

catamount man
October 28th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Latest write-up from ACT. GO CATS!
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/2014/10/27/western-carolina-football-enjoys-amazing-turnaround/18019455/

catamount man
October 28th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Steve White, WCU's SID from 1970-1998, and longtime color commentator on the Catamount Sports Network to retire at end of season.:( God bless ya whitey! GO CATS!

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/2014/10/27/western-carolinas-best-fan-time-life/18016933/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Catamount87
October 28th, 2014, 09:41 AM

Welcome to Cullowhee USA!

Seats on the east side will give you the best overall views of the mountains and the field. Given the weather forecast, sunny, low 50s and gusty winds, the east side will be the warmer side too. Here's a link to the seating chart, http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/WCUFB2014_Stadium_Map.pdf There aren't many seats left in section DD but it looks like section D has good availability.

Now the bad news, the leaves already peaked, so you won't be enjoying all those amazing colors. BTW, if you want an enjoyable ride, the Blue Ridge Parkway from I-26 in Asheville to 23/74 in Waynesville is great. It's about 58 miles with some spectacular mountain views and really great if you own a sports car.

tenNesseeCat
October 28th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Steve White, WCU's SID from 1970-1998, and longtime color commentator on the Catamount Sports Network to retire at end of season.:( God bless ya whitey! GO CATS!

I wonder if a win over UTC this weekend would make him want to stay?

citdog
October 28th, 2014, 10:35 AM

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/2014/10/27/western-carolinas-best-fan-time-life/18016933/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

Steve is a great guy. He does an excellent job for y'all. Having seen both teams the last couple of weeks I think Chatty is just better. Should be a good one.

SH_Moc
October 28th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Considering the Cats' last game is at Alabama, their season has only 3 weeks left...VMI is a win & Sammy should be a win. It comes down to this Saturday.

I wouldn't say that Samford is an automatic win. They are improving on both sides of the ball. Samford is difficult to run against. With the exception of the Chattanooga game they have been stout against the run. If the game becomes a shootout I would put my money on Eubanks over Mitchell as a passer.

SH_Moc
October 28th, 2014, 11:40 AM
After watching the Mocs lose so many close "get over the hump" games over the last few years...outside of APSU and VMI, every game makes me nervous.

Here is another chance.

...at least it's never boring. :)

I am not nervous, I am excited. I think that the Mocs will go up to Cullowhee and take care of business this weekend. I am more nervous about the Wofford game than the Catamounts. I think this match up plays into the strength of UTC's defense.

chattownmocs
October 30th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I don't think either will get a bid with a loss here. Everything, everything is riding on this ballgame for both teams.

longtimemocfan
October 30th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Look forward to seeing this game live. Haven't been to Cullowhee since Bob Waters was the coach there. Be interested to see the contingent of Catamounts fans. Think you'd see more if the weather cooperated.

tenNesseeCat
October 30th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Look forward to seeing this game live. Haven't been to Cullowhee since Bob Waters was the coach there. Be interested to see the contingent of Catamounts fans. Think you'd see more if the weather cooperated.

I think they are starting to call for some accumulation now. I hope it doesn't, but it will probably keep some away. I'll still make the trip, via I-40 instead of 441 through the smokies, if they shut it down. what route do most take from Chattanooga to Cullowhee? I hope you enjoy Cullowhee, except for the game!

longtimemocfan
October 30th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Hopefully the weather won't be too much of a factor for traveling or the game..That would sure change the complexity on both.....I always got off at Cleveland and too k U.S.74/64 then 74 up to Sylva to get there.

tenNesseeCat
October 30th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Yea, i'd guess that would be better than hwy 64 from Murphy. lower elevation through the gorge than winding stair gap and cowee mountain. pretty drive either way.

longtimemocfan
October 30th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Yea, i'd guess that would be better than hwy 64 from Murphy. lower elevation through the gorge than winding stair gap and cowee mountain. pretty drive either way.

Yes, 74 a little more direct as well.....I just hope with his success you don't lose your coach. Better teams mean a better SoCon.

tenNesseeCat
October 30th, 2014, 02:12 PM
He appears to be pretty happy where he's at. $ makes people act crazy though. i hope he and his whole staff stay in Cullowhee!

Apphole
October 30th, 2014, 02:24 PM
WCU needs to win this game. If they lose, they would basically have to beat Alabama to get an at-large. Although there is a chance they could win the tiebreaker in a three-way tie.
Chatty would like to win this game, but would still have a good chance at an at-large bid if they won the remainder of their games.
Surely the mighty Southern Conference can get more than one team into the 24-team FCS playoffs...

chattanoogamocs
October 30th, 2014, 02:45 PM
He appears to be pretty happy where he's at. $ makes people act crazy though. i hope he and his whole staff stay in Cullowhee!

Everyone is always happy right where they are...right until a bigger school offers them a lot more money.

Even Mark knows to never say never...

"I say it each week and I mean it. I thank the good Lord for putting me in Cullowhee for this time and this place."

It's just life as a mid-major/FCS school...none of us are immune...even those who have an alumni coaching the team.

(hell, if North Dakota State can lose a coach to a bigger school...no one is safe...because there is no better job right now than that one)

That being said, I think Speir still has at least a couple more years left in Cullowhee. There are two kinds of "move up" coaches...those who just want to move up as fast as they can and those who only want to move up for "the right job". I think Speir is smart enough to wait awhile until something really good comes along, he isn't going to jump ship just for some extra money.

citdog
October 30th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Surely the mighty Southern Conference can get more than one team into the 24-team FCS playoffs...

How's appy doing this year? xcoffeex

Apphole
October 30th, 2014, 02:55 PM
How's appy doing this year? xcoffeex

Picking up FBS wins and signing home-and-homes with ACC teams. xcoffeex xcoffeex

citdog
October 30th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Picking up FBS wins and signing home-and-homes with ACC teams. xcoffeex xcoffeex

losing to the fighting falwells on homecoming

citdog
October 30th, 2014, 03:00 PM

wake forest xlolx

Apphole
October 30th, 2014, 03:16 PM
losing to the fighting falwells on homecoming
That was awful.

BTW my initial post wasn't totally sarcastic. I'm very surprised that in year 1 of the new membership that a single bid is a possibility.

citdog
October 30th, 2014, 03:17 PM
That was awful.

BTW my initial post wasn't totally sarcastic. I'm very surprised that in year 1 of the new membership that a single bid is a possibility.

furman sucks

chattanoogamocs
October 30th, 2014, 03:21 PM
weak forest xlolx

Fixed it for ya.

FUBeAR
October 30th, 2014, 03:33 PM
That was awful.

How many playoff bids did the departed teams get to last year's playoffs. Was it 1, 2, or all 3 of them?

The Cats
October 30th, 2014, 09:12 PM

Please remind all of us, how many Sun Belch teams were bowl eligible last year?

Then, how many of those got bowl invites?

That tells me all I need to know about the Sun Belch.

When you can troll with something legit, please do come back. Until then, don't embarrass yourself with Appy's win over Campbell and Troy..... However they did do well in this week's bye.

kdinva
October 31st, 2014, 05:28 AM
That was awful.

any truth to the rumor that ESPN GameDay will be in Boone this weekend for Appy St v. Ga State?

meanwhile, Ga. Southern is 6-0/7-2 after last nite's win over Troy St.

AshevilleApp2
October 31st, 2014, 06:10 AM
It's a shame this game isn't on ESPN3.

tenNesseeCat
October 31st, 2014, 07:11 AM
It's a shame this game isn't on ESPN3.

Yes it is! Makes me feel like someone isn't doing their job somewhere. Biggest game of the year in SoCon play thus far.

walliver
October 31st, 2014, 09:38 AM
Yes it is! Makes me feel like someone isn't doing their job somewhere. Biggest game of the year in SoCon play thus far.

For better or worse the SoCon games are picked before the season starts and not updated during the year.
Most outside observers would have picked UTC-FU as the "big game", few would have picked UTC-WCU.

tenNesseeCat
October 31st, 2014, 10:25 AM
true. it would be a good one for tv though. i'm hopin it's my first game viewed in the snow!

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2014, 10:31 AM
true. it would be a good one for tv though. i'm hopin it's my first game viewed in the snow!

Mind the concrete steps to the seats. Learned that lesson at the semi-final game in Boone in 2005.

tenNesseeCat
October 31st, 2014, 10:39 AM
http://www.weather.com/sports-rec/below-zero/halloween-weekend-snow-first-flakes-northeast-great-lakes-20141027

This could be really fun!

Southern Bison
November 1st, 2014, 11:27 AM
The Bison have arrived!

It's a balmy 32 degrees with flurries dancing in the breeze...beautiful football weather!

Southern Bison
November 1st, 2014, 12:05 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/01/70a6edbf8bab5610f0bf3f064cce6679.jpg

OL FU
November 1st, 2014, 12:08 PM
The Bison have arrived!

It's a balmy 32 degrees with flurries dancing in the breeze...beautiful football weather!

Have a sip for me

Smitty
November 1st, 2014, 12:52 PM
I never thought I would see a NDSU flag in the parking lot...

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 01:19 PM
Keon williams 1 yd td run. 7-0 Chattanooga. 6:05 1st qtr.

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 01:28 PM
Keon Williams 39 yd td run. 14-0 Chattanooga. 1st qtr.

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 01:43 PM
Jacob Huesman to Tarahin Tyson. 21-0 Chattanooga. 2nd qtr

Southern Bison
November 1st, 2014, 01:47 PM
Western needs to realize they have a game today and quick...

21-0 Chatty 12:00 2Q

Smitty
November 1st, 2014, 01:51 PM
I figured that old WCU would show up one of these weekends. To bad it happens to be on one of the most important games.

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 01:55 PM
Jacob Huesman to Tommy Hudson. 28-0 Chattanooga. 2nd qtr.

Southern Bison
November 1st, 2014, 01:57 PM
WTF? When will the Cats be showing up for the game?

Smitty
November 1st, 2014, 02:00 PM
WTF? When will the Cats be showing up for the game?

Doesn't look like it is happening today.

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 02:08 PM
Jacob Huesman 1 yd td run. 35-0 Chattanooga. 2:27 2nd qtr

kdinva
November 1st, 2014, 02:12 PM
Jacob Huesman 1 yd td run. 35-0 Chattanooga. 2:27 2nd qtr

did not expect this.......

Southern Bison
November 1st, 2014, 02:14 PM
Chat town, are you at the game? If not, STFU (borrowing from your candyass)

Smitty
November 1st, 2014, 02:15 PM
I kinda expected the final score to be along these lines. Not the half time score

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 02:23 PM
Chat town, are you at the game? If not, STFU (borrowing from your candyass)

38-0 half. Ribeiro goes to 10-10 on the year from 33 yds.

utcfan
November 1st, 2014, 02:23 PM
Not the game I expected thus far....

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 02:30 PM
This is the sign of a program turning the corner to dominance.

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2014, 02:31 PM
The Cats just ran into Chattanooga's defense on the WRONG day!!! The Moc's offense isn't that good...it is just a result of a really tired Cats Defense....Our Defense is continuing to get 3 and outs...that sets up our O....and results in 38 points at half! The Cats are better then the score, but 49 yards at halftime.....The good news for the Cat's....you won't see a front four like that again.....well, Bama is pretty good...but????

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 02:53 PM
Ribeiro good from 27. 41-0 Mocs. 3rd.

Smitty
November 1st, 2014, 03:04 PM
There is a game on? Turned it off so I could go drown myself in my tears.

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 03:23 PM
39 yarder from Ribeiro. 12-12 on the season. 44-0 Chattanooga. 4th

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 03:42 PM
Marquis Green 36 yd td run. 51-0 Chattanooga 4th.

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2014, 03:42 PM
Looks like the Mocs finally put together a full game!!! as hard as they tried not to score that last one...51-0 in Cullowhee.

utcfan
November 1st, 2014, 03:50 PM
UTC 51
WCU 0
Final

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 03:51 PM
Western gets dirty in the 2nd half. Chattanooga rolls, 51-0 final.

chattownmocs
November 1st, 2014, 03:54 PM
Chattanooga outrushes WCU 386-14

catamount man
November 1st, 2014, 04:10 PM
No excuses, no crying. WCU just simply took an ass whipping. Congrats Mocs!

Milktruck74
November 1st, 2014, 04:24 PM

The Mocs Offense isn't that good and the Cats aren't that bad...The Mocs D just took control and made our O look like superstars....it isn't that hard to turn numbers on a very tired defense.....your boys never got a rest....3 and out 3 and out.... a few first downs by the cats O and this is a very different score. I hope the Cats can win out (besides Bama) and have an outside shot at the playoffs....its in the committees hands now. Win out!!!!

Mocs123
November 1st, 2014, 04:27 PM
I watched the game on TV. Great Band, beautiful looking campus. I really need to catch a game in Cullowhee sometime.

Good luck on the rest of the season.

Mocs123
November 1st, 2014, 04:51 PM
I watched the game on TV. Great Band, beautiful looking campus. I really need to catch a game in Cullowhee sometime.

Good luck on the rest of the season.

Southern Bison
November 1st, 2014, 05:46 PM
Chattown, your sorry ass couldn't handle a few flurries to show up and support your team...or you were scheduled to work at Subway today.

Your comment about turning the corner to dominance is laughable...only in a weak year for the SoCon could the Mocs win the autobid.

I hope y'all make it to Fargo for the 2nd round and your boys will experience what real dominance is

Southern Bison
November 1st, 2014, 06:45 PM
What...no response? Did your Mom call you up from the basement for dinner?

longtimemocfan
November 1st, 2014, 07:05 PM

Classy post. Hard to write too much after a loss of this magnitude. Cats not nearly as bad as the score would indicate. WCU still headed in the right direction.

MartletCat
November 1st, 2014, 09:10 PM

Truer words were never spoken.

Only one thing (minus the ass whipping) that bothered me today, and I'll probably get some negative feedback here....but during the 2nd & 3rd quarter, Chatty sidelines exchanged a fair amount of trash talk, and a couple middle fingers with our fans. Not saying it wasn't totally warranted, but come on. Huesman told a few guys to shut the hell up and that nipped it quick though. A few of our fans decided to launch some hot dog wrappers and cups, which probably fired UTC up a bit more as well, and brought a few of the fuzz over. Classless on both sides. UTC being up by 31 before the half and taking timeouts with <30 secs left probably fueled a bit of this too....

Actually, I probably shouldn't even talk since we only got beat by over 50.....awful performance from The Cats. That was a good win from a team that showed up ready to win and I'll be interested to see what the next few weeks look like.

Highlight of the day:
Got to have a couple beers with Southern Bison, and a bit of snow fell before the "game" today.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2014, 09:57 PM
I take issue with a number of Catamounts fans saying it was bad sportsmanship for the Mocs to take timeouts to get a field goal at the end of the first half and accusing Huesman of trying to run up the score. It was the first half, I don't care what the score is...you take every opportunity you can to score...you don't run the clock out when you are inside the 30 and in field goal range...especially not on the road against an undefeated team in conference play.

If the Mocs and Huesman were really poor sports why didn't they keep pouring it on in the 2nd half? The Mocs did everything they could for the entire 2nd half to try and not run up the score...including exclusively running the ball the last twenty plus minutes of the game (even when they had a 3 and 13m they still ran a vanilla play right up the middle).

If anything, Russ has been too nice with leads because he doesn't want to embarrass another team and it has bitten the Mocs in the butt (blown leads that turned into losses late or games that became too close for comfort).

As for the the student section/Mocs interaction...while I do believe that student athletes should be held to a higher standard, you have to remember that they are the same age as the kids in the stands egging them on...add in the emotion of playing a very big road game it doesn't surprise me that some of them might give a one fingered salute (though it is still disappointing to hear). As you said, Huesman came over and put an end to it, which is what is supposed to happen...end of story. That is the downside to WCU's stadium in that the stands are incredibly close to the sidelines...you have students about 15 feet from the opposing teams players.

I know this is a very bitter pill for the Catamount fans to swallow. I am sure everyone agrees that if that game was played 10 times...or even 100...you would probably never see another result that lopsided. It is just one of the rare games were everything goes right for one team and everything goes wrong for the other. Those teams are obviously not 51 points different. The Cats are much younger than the Mocs and I have no doubt they will continue to do well as long as Speir is there.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2014, 10:00 PM
Oh..and my butt and my toes are still cold! ;)

But it was fun to go watch a game in real football weather.

eaglewraith
November 1st, 2014, 10:02 PM
Your comment about turning the corner to dominance is laughable...only in a weak year for the SoCon could the Mocs win the autobid.

Having kept an eye on the Socon this year, all I can do is shake my head.

The conference is weak as **** this year. If UTC can't manage to win the autobid this time, God help them.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2014, 10:07 PM
Having kept an eye on the Sun Belt this year, all I can do is shake my head.

The conference is weak as **** this year. If GSU can't manage to win the conference title, God help them.

There ya go. ;)

eaglewraith
November 1st, 2014, 10:16 PM
There ya go. ;)

We're running through everyone like **** through a goose....just like we'd do in the Socon.

Joke all you want, but there's definitely been a step up in competition....except maybe for Georgia State. You guys want to trade a team?

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2014, 10:31 PM
We're running through everyone like **** through a goose....just like we'd do in the Socon.

Joke all you want, but there's definitely been a step up in competition....except maybe for Georgia State. You guys want to trade a team?

I don't know...I think there are more stinky teams in that group than just Georgia State.

And honestly...I can't think of any teams in the Sun Belt I would "want" outside of you guys...either because they suck or they are 2 to 3 time zone away.

But as I told Eagle22, I have watched a number of your games (most of them actually) and have been happy for you guys and the success you have had.

But don't think you can come over here and take shots at us without at least getting your nose tweaked a little in response.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2014, 10:33 PM
Now that this "autobid?" game is over, next week is the same...

SoCon Autobid game? Wofford at Chattanooga

Southern Bison
November 1st, 2014, 10:36 PM
It was great to meet Chattanoogamocs and MartletCat and talk a little football with them face to face!

WCU Band puts on a great halftime show, Speir is building a strong program, and a trip to Cullowhe will be an annual plan for me from now on.

SpeedkingATL
November 1st, 2014, 10:37 PM
Maybe this is the year the Mocs get over the hump. Whee is certainly moving in the right direction too. Nice win Mocs.

tenNesseeCat
November 1st, 2014, 10:54 PM
I'm not even gonna say good win for the mocs, cause I think it was a waste of everyone's time. Congrats on the W. maybe you will have a competative game next week! Good luck on the rest of your season.

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2014, 10:58 PM
It was great to meet Chattanoogamocs and MartletCat and talk a little football with them face to face!

WCU Band puts on a great halftime show, Speir is building a strong program, and a trip to Cullowhe will be an annual plan for me from now on.

Nice meeting you too!

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2014, 11:04 PM
Maybe this is the year the Mocs get over the hump. Whee is certainly moving in the right direction too. Nice win Mocs.
God I hope so.

Huge game on Saturday...Wofford has been really under the radar this season...but there they are...one game behind with a chance to share the title with a win on Saturday.

Just as nervous for this one as I was for the one earlier today.

Keep waiting for Lucy to pull the ball back from Charlie Brown. ;)

chattanoogamocs
November 1st, 2014, 11:24 PM
Truer words were never spoken.

Only one thing (minus the ass whipping) that bothered me today, and I'll probably get some negative feedback here....but during the 2nd & 3rd quarter, Chatty sidelines exchanged a fair amount of trash talk, and a couple middle fingers with our fans. Not saying it wasn't totally warranted, but come on. Huesman told a few guys to shut the hell up and that nipped it quick though. A few of our fans decided to launch some hot dog wrappers and cups, which probably fired UTC up a bit more as well, and brought a few of the fuzz over. Classless on both sides. UTC being up by 31 before the half and taking timeouts with <30 secs left probably fueled a bit of this too....

Actually, I probably shouldn't even talk since we only got beat by over 50.....awful performance from The Cats. That was a good win from a team that showed up ready to win and I'll be interested to see what the next few weeks look like.

Highlight of the day:
Got to have a couple beers with Southern Bison, and a bit of snow fell before the "game" today.

Or maybe this is why the Mocs might have been a little testy on the sidelines...

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2014/nov/02/wiedmer-mocs-deliver-whiteout-performance/

CULLOWHEE, N.C. — As the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Mocs began warming up for Saturday's Southern Conference game at Western Carolina, they were greeted by much, um, chatter from the home team, especially quarterback Troy Mitchell.

"Overrated," was one of the comments the team ranked No. 12 in the FCS coaches' poll heard from Mitchell and his teammates. "We're going to put you in your place" was another.

Three hours later, UTC on the preferred end of a 51-0 final score, Mocs All-America defensive end Davis Tull said, "We thought they were a little arrogant in pregame. We wanted to make a statement."

Probably not a good idea to piss off 2x All-American (and Academic All-American) Davis Tull.

ElCid
November 1st, 2014, 11:35 PM
God I hope so.

Huge game on Saturday...Wofford has been really under the radar this season...but there they are...one game behind with a chance to share the title with a win on Saturday.

Just as nervous for this one as I was for the one earlier today.

Keep waiting for Lucy to pull the ball back from Charlie Brown. ;)

Not going to happen. I think Chatty will handle them fairly easily at home. They have wins against who? 2 nobodies, us, an erratic Samford team that was still smarting after the lost to Chatty, and VMI. While they appear to have improved a bit as the season progressed, I don't think they have it in them this year.

chattanoogamocs
November 2nd, 2014, 01:00 AM
It's just hard for a Moc fan to ever feel comfortable with success.

As big as the Western game was...Wofford is even bigger because if the Mocs win, they are guaranteed a bid to the playoffs, something that last happened so long ago that I was in 10th grade and had just gotten my learners permit to drive a car...I am now a greying 45 year old man. :)

MartletCat
November 2nd, 2014, 08:16 AM
Or maybe this is why the Mocs might have been a little testy on the sidelines...

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2014/nov/02/wiedmer-mocs-deliver-whiteout-performance/

CULLOWHEE, N.C. — As the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Mocs began warming up for Saturday's Southern Conference game at Western Carolina, they were greeted by much, um, chatter from the home team, especially quarterback Troy Mitchell.

"Overrated," was one of the comments the team ranked No. 12 in the FCS coaches' poll heard from Mitchell and his teammates. "We're going to put you in your place" was another.

Three hours later, UTC on the preferred end of a 51-0 final score, Mocs All-America defensive end Davis Tull said, "We thought they were a little arrogant in pregame. We wanted to make a statement."

Probably not a good idea to piss off 2x All-American (and Academic All-American) Davis Tull.

Oh good Lord....I didn't even know about this. Thanks for the post, and I retract everything I said last night. Some taunting was definitely warranted then. Maybe our guys will learn to keep their mouth shut now, and let their performance on the field do the talking. Also, "overrated" would've been my last selection of options for trash talk. Chatty was bigger, faster, and stronger than us all the way around.

JaxSinfonian
November 2nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
I don't know...I think there are more stinky teams in that group than just Georgia State.

An aphorism of ancient origin in Jacksonville, Alabama, that perhaps has never been more true: Troy sucks.

chattanoogamocs
November 2nd, 2014, 11:16 AM
An aphorism of ancient origin in Jacksonville, Alabama, that perhaps has never been more true: Troy sucks.

Troy is Abilene Christian's b*tch. ;)

chattanoogamocs
November 2nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
...and Abilene Christian is a .500 2nd year FCS program.

chattanoogamocs
November 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
Let me say something to give WCU fans some hope for the future.

What happened yesterday was very similar to what happened during Russ Huesman's second season with the Mocs.

UTC has showed some promise the year before, won 6 games, but was still getting manhandled by the top programs.

They came in to 2010 and right of the bat lost to ASU by only a point...they beat GSU that year and going into the last game of the season, they were 6-4 and if they won their final game, had a pretty decent shot at an at-large bid. The game was at Wofford, but players and fans still felt pretty confident that this was the "coming out" game for the Mocs...the result?

Wofford rolled over the Mocs 45-14 (UTC scored late in garbage time just to make it that "close"). It was humbling.

My point? WCU is still trying to learn how to be a winning program...UTC is about 3 years ahead in that respect.

Another point that was brought up by a friend last night...WCU still has a lot of guys on the team that have lost a lot in their career...the tendency for those guys, when a game like this comes along is to kinda give up because they have been waiting for a tank (because it is what they are used to)...all the self-doubt starts creeping in. That is not a knock on them, it is just human nature. If WCU continues to progress they will have no one on their team but people that are used to success...that is a huge difference maker when it comes to confidence (and not foolish over-confidence).

Southern Bison
November 2nd, 2014, 04:09 PM
I really hope to see WCU rebound from the loss and finish the SoCon 6-1 & use this season as a big stepping stone towards next year.

DP_ASU
November 2nd, 2014, 04:34 PM
Cantamount

Southern Bison
November 2nd, 2014, 05:41 PM
Cantamount
App State fans shouldn't be talking any smack this season...at least GaSo knows how to play FBS football.

catamount man
November 2nd, 2014, 06:39 PM
Want to borrow a win? LOL!

MartletCat
November 2nd, 2014, 09:38 PM

What happened yesterday was very similar to what happened during Russ Huesman's second season with the Mocs.

UTC has showed some promise the year before, won 6 games, but was still getting manhandled by the top programs.

They came in to 2010 and right of the bat lost to ASU by only a point...they beat GSU that year and going into the last game of the season, they were 6-4 and if they won their final game, had a pretty decent shot at an at-large bid. The game was at Wofford, but players and fans still felt pretty confident that this was the "coming out" game for the Mocs...the result?

Wofford rolled over the Mocs 45-14 (UTC scored late in garbage time just to make it that "close"). It was humbling.

My point? WCU is still trying to learn how to be a winning program...UTC is about 3 years ahead in that respect.

Another point that was brought up by a friend last night...WCU still has a lot of guys on the team that have lost a lot in their career...the tendency for those guys, when a game like this comes along is to kinda give up because they have been waiting for a tank (because it is what they are used to)...all the self-doubt starts creeping in. That is not a knock on them, it is just human nature. If WCU continues to progress they will have no one on their team but people that are used to success...that is a huge difference maker when it comes to confidence (and not foolish over-confidence).

Exactly how I've started to feel lately. A bit of realization and understanding that it takes time. I've been to every single Western home game for what is coming up on 9 seasons straight now, along with multiple away games as well, when work allows. I specifically remember sitting at a game in 2010, hopeless, with a small pile of empty airplane bottles at my feet, and about 300 people in the stands at the start of the 4th quarter, wondering when basketball season was starting. I asked myself, "After all these years, has it really come down to this?" This was in the prime of by far the worst coaching, administrative, and athletics department decisions I have ever witnessed. The start of games had our team hanging out on the sidelines, not even half paying attention to what was going on in front of them. The coaches couldn't care less, avoided the media, and openly talked down about the team as a whole. Halftime was the end of the game for the fans; students especially. 1 - 2 wins per season had become the norm, and it hurt, so badly. I wanted us to be successful in the best of ways possible, and it was a long time coming. I can honestly say that the departmental changes should've happened in about 2004, before I even got to Cullowhee on a student basis. The losing ways ran mostly with the team, and a shut-down, given up attitude was all I saw. Changes absolutely needed to happen, and soon.

Looking at 2014: It's been a couple years into a mass overhaul of everything football in Cullowhee. The right people, with the right attitude have shown up, and made a great impact in the best way. A team that I've never seen have a winning season is finally turning the corner, and bringing the freshmen to seniors along. A group of guys that didn't have faith in winning, are now learning how to finish strong, and and the hard work has shown that it can pay off. Some of these guys playing have had more wins this season alone, than in the past 3 years of their collegiate football career combined. Now THAT is an obvious change for the better. What is now in Cullowhee, is the right, can-do attitude. I can only hope the coaches, staff, administration, current and former players, students, and everyone in attendance can keep this going, because it's headed in the right direction.

This past weekend was a humbling experience, and shows that we still have much to learn, and a lot of growing to do. The quoted post above, I completely agree with, and was well said. It takes time, it takes effort, and a commitment to hard work and determination. Neither of these teams would be in this position without the right type of push from the right people. Here's hoping for some great football between The Mocs and The Cats for years and years to come.

DP_ASU
November 4th, 2014, 06:54 PM
App State fans shouldn't be talking any smack this season...at least GaSo knows how to play FBS football.

xcoffeex App State fans can always talk smack to WCU Cantamount fans...

Catamount87
November 5th, 2014, 07:54 AM
This is why I believe most UTC fans haven't done much trash/smack talking towards WCU fans. They understand the situation, they've been there done, respect the journey WCU is on and are humble in their success. In the end, most on both sides know that if we both improve then that's good for the each of us and the SoCon.

DP_ASU
November 7th, 2014, 05:01 AM
This is why I believe most UTC fans haven't done much trash/smack talking towards WCU fans. They understand the situation, they've been there done, respect the journey WCU is on and are humble in their success. In the end, most on both sides know that if we both improve then that's good for the each of us and the SoCon.

WCU will go back to its normal way of life next year.

The Cats
November 7th, 2014, 08:14 AM
WCU will go back to its normal way of life next year.

Good one.....

longtimemocfan
November 7th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Good one.....
I think Cat fans have a lot to look forward to.. When Russ first got here it was a well known fact that the turnaround wouldn't be complete until he got the lines on both sides of the football up to speed with the elite teams in the conference (Wofford,GSU and Appy) I think Western is close but it takes time through redshirting and several recruiting classes to develop depth on both sides of the ball. I think your coach is on the right path.

Apphole
November 9th, 2014, 09:35 PM

Clearly you haven't been paying attention over the past month...

Catch the top 10 last night?

Southern Bison
November 9th, 2014, 09:50 PM

It must suck being mediocre in the FBS...come back to AGS to relive some of App's good ol' days?

chattownmocs
November 10th, 2014, 12:31 AM

What? You guys suck.