PDA

View Full Version : G5 14 P5 91

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 27th, 2014, 06:32 PM
The "Gang of 5" is 14-91 against Power 5 teams this year. That number is relatively close to the FCS record vs FBS competition. I was shocked by that number when I saw it. There's a lot of conclusions to be drawn that's for sure. The MAC has done the best with 4 different teams notching wins.....xrotatehx

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 27th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Has Appalachian State landed any of the wins?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 27th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Has Appalachian State landed any of the wins?

Not quite. Their 52-14 loss to Michigan is looking more disappointing each week....

The Sun Belt has one, UL-Monroe beat Wake Forest. Conference USA has failed to win one. It's a shame Marshall's OOC is so bad.....

SUPharmacist
October 27th, 2014, 09:57 PM
That number is relatively close to the FCS record vs FBS competition. I was shocked by that number when I saw it.

What is the FCS vs FBS number, and what is the FCS vs P5 record? The G5 record is awful, but I would think FCS vs P5 is much worse.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 27th, 2014, 10:01 PM
What is the FCS vs FBS number, and what is the FCS vs P5 record? The G5 record is awful, but I would think FCS vs P5 is much worse.

I believe FCS has 8 FBS wins this year. NDSU has the only win over a P5 team iirc.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2014, 10:22 PM
I would guess that a decent portion of the FCS Top 25 could take Wake Forest, which represents the only Sun Belt P5 win this season. NDSU, Villanova and UNH certainly could take them.

Certainly to be taken with a grain of salt, but Sags has 34 (!) FCS teams ranked above Wake right now:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Point being that, if FCS had some of these same opportunities to play the dregs of the P5, they could make a run at having the same record agianst them as the G5 does.

Here's an even more telling/shocking breakdown from the AAC board.

MAC 3-21: Northern Illinois d. Northwestern, Bowling Green d. Indiana, Central Michigan d. Purdue

Sun Belt 1-14: Louisiana Monroe d. Wake Forest

CUSA: 0-20

NONE of these wins approach what NDSU did, and CUSA's 0-20 record.... oh my.

UNIFanSince1983
October 27th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I would guess that a decent portion of the FCS Top 25 could take Wake Forest, which represents the only Sun Belt P5 win this season. NDSU, Villanova and UNH certainly could take them.

Certainly to be taken with a grain of salt, but Sags has 34 (!) FCS teams ranked above Wake right now:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Point being that, if FCS had some of these same opportunities to play the dregs of the P5, they could make a run at having the same record agianst them as the G5 does.

Here's an even more telling/shocking breakdown from the AAC board.

NONE of these wins approach what NDSU did, and CUSA's 0-20 record.... oh my.

Central Michigan thrashed Purdue and Purdue is probably about the same as Iowa State maybe even a little better than the Cyclones.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 27th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Akron has a win over Pitt to give the MAC 4 P5 wins.....

I'd take NIU's win over Northwestern over NDSU's win against Iowa State. Not by a lot, but I would...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Certainly fair to compare NIU over N'Western, NDSU over Iowa State, maybe even Akron over Pitt as same caliber of wins. Just as notably, the Sun Belt and CUSA haven't even come close.

centennial
October 27th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Certainly fair to compare NIU over N'Western, NDSU over Iowa State, maybe even Akron over Pitt as same caliber of wins. Just as notably, the Sun Belt and CUSA haven't even come close.
They are also rated lower than the MVFC.

chattanoogamocs
October 28th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Central Michigan thrashed Purdue and Purdue is probably about the same as Iowa State maybe even a little better than the Cyclones.

...after barely beating Chattanooga 20-16.

Go...gate
October 28th, 2014, 01:56 AM
The "Gang of 5" is 14-91 against Power 5 teams this year. That number is relatively close to the FCS record vs FBS competition. I was shocked by that number when I saw it. There's a lot of conclusions to be drawn that's for sure. The MAC has done the best with 4 different teams notching wins.....xrotatehx

Funny about that. Over the years, the MAC has had their share of step-up wins against power conferences, especially the Big Ten. They always pull a surprise or two.

PAllen
October 28th, 2014, 07:49 AM

This. FCS vs FBS is not a fair comparison, FCS vs P5 is.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Vanderbilt is probably worse than Wake Forest.