PDA

View Full Version : GSU vs Furman thread: Bout time

Baldy
November 9th, 2006, 06:56 AM
To add a little perspective......

Furman loses to CCU, GSU didn't have much trouble dispatching CCU.
GSU takes Appy to two overtimes, Furman gets toasted by Appy.
Furman beats Woffy by 14, GSU loses to Woffy by 18.
Both teams beat Western rather easily.
GSU loses to Citadel by a TD, Furman beats Cid by a TD.
Furman beats Chatty by 6, we lose to Chatty by 1.

If this game is decided by more than a TD, I'll be suprised.
GSU by 3. :thumbsup:

bobbythekidd
November 9th, 2006, 07:02 AM
This is always an exciting game. I will be listening to it this year as opposed to being there.
With Felton back strong I will have to say Purps by 7. (At least we keep it close).:mad:
I hope Travis finds an audio link for Idle before Saturday.

OL FU
November 9th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Furman has a 21 point lead at the end of the first half but only wins by 3.:D

OL FU
November 9th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I put on an earlier thread the Furman would win by a lot and while I think it is possible I don't necesarily think it will happen. If a team wins by more than two touchdowns it will be Furman. The players may be hoping for a chance to put some pain on a team that has given them much over the years.

Alot of Furman's struggles have been in games with injuries in particular to Gray and later to Felton. I am not sure either one is close to 100% yet. If they are as close to 100% as you can be at the end of the season, I would add another 7-10 points to Furman's favor.

blueballs
November 9th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Furman by 3 scores...

OL FU
November 9th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Furman by 3 scores...

Between the election and GSU football this has been a bad autumn for blueballs:nod: :(

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Go Paladins!

ErkPeterson
November 9th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I just want to see a good game. I'm tired of praying for wins anymore. Normally I'd say we come out and run around like a bunch stooges under the current staff. However this is GSU vs FU, all bets are off. Hopefully our team hasn't given up yet. Talent and heart alone should keep us in the game. That is if our kids have any heart left after this nightmare season. I've been supporting our staff all year and keep telling myself this is a transition year, etc. However I'm getting the feeling the kids are beggining to doubt their leadership. If this happens we are defeated before we walk on the field and the game will get ugly soon. Go Eagles....Please!?!?!

gsugt1
November 9th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I am going to go out on a limb here and say we win 28-24. Just a feeling I have :nod:

thirdgendin
November 9th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Furman generally plays better at home, but this year we have had three tight wins (JSU, Citadel, and UTC) and a lackluster performance (West Georgia), in addition to the Western blowout. We have won 12 in a row in Paladin Stadium and 16 straight at home in the regular season.

blueballs
November 9th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Between the election and GSU football this has been a bad autumn for blueballs:nod: :(

Only on those two fronts has it been bad, everything else is great.

Like the GOP, GSU stopped being themselves, lost their identity, went away from what got them there and have found themselves losers this fall.

Like the comparison there OL FU?;)

Seven Would Be Nice
November 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I am going to go out on a limb here and say we win 28-24. Just a feeling I have :nod:

Unless some major changes happen with playcalling/execution.. our offense wont put that much up against FU this year.

Im saying 13-10, GSU. (with a TD run back from an INT, and a missed PAT):rotateh:

OL FU
November 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Only on those two fronts has it been bad, everything else is great.

Like the GOP, GSU stopped being themselves, lost their identity, went away from what got them there and have found themselves losers this fall.

Like the comparison there OL FU?;)

:nod: :nod: :nod:

OL FU
November 9th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Georgia Southern University could play the spoiler this weekend at Furman University.

If the Eagles hand the Paladins the fourth loss of their season, it almost assuredly would deny Furman (7-3, 5-1 SoCon) a trip into the NCAA Division I-AA football playoffs for the first time since 2003.

So if you're Georgia Southern first-year coach Brian VanGorder, whose team is 3-6 (2-4 SoCon), you'd think there would be a lot of emphasis on the spoiler role as a team motivator.

Not so, VanGorder said Tuesday.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061108/SPORTS0103/611080394/1027

It is interesting since I have never been a coach. I realize that the approach a coach takes should be toward building for the long term. I think most coaches would play up rivalry games since they are such a part of college football. On the other hand I can see why BVG does not want to make it look overly important.

Interesting though

gsugt1
November 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Unless some major changes happen with playcalling/execution.. our offense wont put that much up against FU this year.

Im saying 13-10, GSU. (with a TD run back from an INT, and a missed PAT):rotateh:

You don't trust me xlolx xlolx

ErkPeterson
November 9th, 2006, 10:20 AM
http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061108/SPORTS0103/611080394/1027

It is interesting since I have never been a coach. I realize that the approach a coach takes should be toward building for the long term. I think most coaches would play up rivalry games since they are such a part of college football. On the other hand I can see why BVG does not want to make it look overly important.

Interesting though

Interesting, Not sure I agree with BVG on a "business as usual" approach. This rivalry is huge no matter what the opposing records are. I don't know, just me - but I'd be trying something a lil diff this week. Nothing else is working. :eyebrow:

OL FU
November 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Interesting, Not sure I agree with BVG on a "business as usual" approach. This rivalry is huge no matter what the opposing records are. I don't know, just me - but I'd be trying something a lil diff this week. Nothing else is working. :eyebrow:

Gonna line up in the option behind Foster the entire game:eyebrow:

ErkPeterson
November 9th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Gonna line up in the option behind Foster the entire game:eyebrow:
I seriosuly doubt that, although alot in the Boro wish we would. I'm referring to BVG's approach to the game in general. Just another SoCon game, etc. The history behind this game is short, however Its hard to imagine where either school would be had this rivarly never started. IMO we've both helped push each either to grid-iron excelence. Its not just "another game"
:smiley_wi I do wish we'd throw the ball more vertical this time, for once. If I see 1 more bubble screen I will puke

walliver
November 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Furman by 21.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 9th, 2006, 02:05 PM
You don't trust me xlolx xlolx

I trust you, I just don't see us being that productive :(

Man, it really would be a thing of beauty if Foster lined up as QB this Saturday.

straightshooter
November 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
It would be great to see him under center, but we've fired everyone who knows anything about the GSU option, so look for more of the same boring stuff.

OL FU
November 9th, 2006, 03:43 PM
It would be great to see him under center, but we've fired everyone who knows anything about the GSU option, so look for more of the same boring stuff.

You might score more just handing to Foster and seeing whether or not we could catch him:smiley_wi

Seven Would Be Nice
November 9th, 2006, 05:11 PM
You might score more just handing to Foster and seeing whether or not we could catch him:smiley_wi

Y'all know how well that worked last year more than anyone. xlolx xlolx

Seven Would Be Nice
November 9th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Hey is this game going to be on CSS or not? I thought it was.. but now I can't find it anywhere. Don't tell me I have to listen to another game on the radio :bawling:

JDC325
November 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Hey is this game going to be on CSS or not? I thought it was.. but now I can't find it anywhere. Don't tell me I have to listen to another game on the radio :bawling:

Attending is allways and OPTION ( I keed) unless your freaking wife is making you attend a freaking wedding of someone you barely freaking know. When Furman is freaking right up the road and GSU is freaking 3 hours with no freaking traffic. I am laying the law down next year .... really....:o

GSU by 7

PantherRob82
November 9th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Should be a good game. Would be suprised if it's more than a one score game.

OL FU
November 9th, 2006, 08:35 PM

http://www.csssports.com/college_football.cfm

3:30 PM :nod:

Seven Would Be Nice
November 9th, 2006, 08:48 PM
http://www.csssports.com/college_football.cfm

3:30 PM :nod:

Amen!! why do all of our away games start at 3pm and home games at noon??:mad: :mad: Oh well, this one will be good and have me glued to the TV all afternoon.

Go EAGLES!!! lets knock that Paladin off his horse and all playoff hopes with him!! :hurray: :hurray:

Seven Would Be Nice
November 9th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Attending is allways and OPTION ( I keed) unless your freaking wife is making you attend a freaking wedding of someone you barely freaking know. When Furman is freaking right up the road and GSU is freaking 3 hours with no freaking traffic. I am laying the law down next year .... really....:o

GSU by 7

Buy your tickets farrr in advance:)

ASU Kep
November 10th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I'm rooting for Furman here, but fear an upset:

GSU - 24
Furman - 20.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 10th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I just caught a rumor on TCS that FOSTER is starting QB.. can anyone confirm this dream come true?

ASU Kep
November 10th, 2006, 12:18 AM

BVG's POV: The players are going to be as amped up as humanly possible Sat against Furman. There is no need to hype it up any more. Doing so and then losing would only make the off-season seem even more dissappointing. Sometimes being over-excited can lead to mistakes, anyway.

youwouldno
November 10th, 2006, 12:29 AM
There is no way GSU is going to play the TO all of the sudden. And Foster's no good as a regular QB, he can't throw.

ASU Kep
November 10th, 2006, 12:48 AM
If GSU goes back to the TO in this one, I'd fire BVG immediately.

seantaylor
November 10th, 2006, 01:08 AM
There is no way GSU is going to play the TO all of the sudden. And Foster's no good as a regular QB, he can't throw.

You don't know much, do you. Foster had more TD passes through 9 games than this new offense through nine games with a third of the passes attempted. If Foster starts, we win. Period.

boonedocks
November 10th, 2006, 03:10 AM
If Foster starts, we win. Period.

Except last year at ASU. :smiley_wi Seriously though, that will be very interesting if foster starts. He is a great athlete. I wish I could record this game, but i'll be in the 'whee.

seantaylor
November 10th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Except last year at ASU. :smiley_wi Seriously though, that will be very interesting if foster starts. He is a great athlete. I wish I could record this game, but i'll be in the 'whee.

Foster didn't start against ASU last year. He was hurt all week, and we brought him in in the second quarter after we were already down big.

boonedocks
November 10th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Oh my bad, i didn't recall that. Is this game still being televised on CSS?

ErkPeterson
November 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Oh my bad, i didn't recall that. Is this game still being televised on CSS?
Yep!

OL FU
November 10th, 2006, 06:45 AM
You don't know much, do you. Foster had more TD passes through 9 games than this new offense through nine games with a third of the passes attempted. If Foster starts, we win. Period.

This is a prelude to the agrument that if he had started we would have won. :nod:

OL FU
November 10th, 2006, 06:46 AM

And that is why he has been the starting QB all year:eyebrow:

OL FU
November 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM
It does seem to me that start Foster would (1) revitalize the fan base and (2) revitalize the players from last year. I really haven't kept up. How many starters are transfers?

you can say whatever you want, Foster's passing success was mainly attributed to GSU's awesome running attack last year. He is, more than likely, not going to throw 25-30 times. And he is far from the kind of passer that you want throwing from the new GSU set.

I would guess he could run some form of hybrid option or possibly running more out of the same formation but I would have to question changing to much at this point in the season. Especially since BVG has said ( I think) he is sticking to the new offense.

On the other hand, he probably doesn't have much fun going out to eat in Statesboro or Savannah:D

Also, from the Southern Connection, there was talk of Clark benched for questioning a coach. If the Foster rumor is true, could it be further disciplinary action?

bryan92
November 10th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Clark is playing, or he has been practicing (taking snaps with the first team)all week for nothing.

OL FU
November 10th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Clark is playing, or he has been practicing (taking snaps with the first team)all week for nothing.

Darn, another mystery, the thrill of intrigue spoiled.

On another Foster point. I hope we make lots of kick offs and kick everyone of them out of bounds:nod: :D

drjman
November 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Last meeting at Paladin Stadium, couldn't get onto the field:

http://homepage.mac.com/drjman/.Pictures/portfolioshost/mrfelton.jpg

FU97
November 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Different offenses. The pass was barely defended last year for GSU as the run was so deadly. When you run 80% of the time, the pass is generally wide open, particularly off play action.

FU97
November 10th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Last meeting at Paladin Stadium, couldn't get onto the field:

http://homepage.mac.com/drjman/.Pictures/portfolioshost/mrfelton.jpg

Here's hoping Felton is back healthy. He was a shell of himself vs Elon and only used as a decoy vs ASU.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 10th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Felton is a stud... I hope I never have to see him play against us again!