PDA

View Full Version : Villanova vs. Richmond

Gangtackle11
October 26th, 2014, 09:47 AM
This looks to be a very competitive game. Both teams have been dealing with injuries of late and it will be interesting to see what team has the depth or makes the better adjustments.

Thoughts?

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Nova can still easily get to 10-2 and a first round bye/ seed with a L here based on where their final 3 opponents have been heading in recent weeks. Richmond with a win legitimizes itself and makes a 1-2 final three games still have them backing into the playoffs along with showing the CAA is not a 2 trick pony this year in Nova/ UNH. Therefore, this games means a lot more to Richmond, JMU and W&M in particular for playoff purposes.

Should be an awesome game!

KPSUL
October 26th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Nova can still easily get to 10-2 and a first round bye/ seed with a L here based on where their final 3 opponents have been heading in recent weeks. Richmond with a win legitimizes itself and makes a 1-2 final three games still have them backing into the playoffs along with showing the CAA is not a 2 trick pony this year in Nova/ UNH. Therefore, this games means a lot more to Richmond, JMU and W&M in particular for playoff purposes.

Should be an awesome game!

Getting the #2 or 3 seed in the playoffs is hugely important this season; no one wants to play NDSU in Fargo. With a win against Richmond they have an excellent chance of winning out and assuring a 2 or 3 seed - particularly since Eastern Washington lost yesterday. Villanova wants this win as much as Richmond. Level of motivation will have no effect on the game.

CHIP72
October 26th, 2014, 11:07 AM
It goes without saying this is a big game. If I wasn't visiting my brother in Houston next/this weekend, I'd consider making the 2 hour (if you're lucky) drive to Richmond to attend (though it is more likely I'd attend Lehigh/Georgetown). From my point of view hopefully the Wildcats will pull out their second very good road win in Virginia in a three week period.

JMUNJ08
October 26th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Getting the #2 or 3 seed in the playoffs is hugely important this season; no one wants to play NDSU in Fargo. With a win against Richmond they have an excellent chance of winning out and assuring a 2 or 3 seed - particularly since Eastern Washington lost yesterday. Villanova wants this win as much as Richmond. Level of motivation will have no effect on the game.

No motivational issues for Nova and I agree that the seed is very important to miss NDSU. A loss though aids the rest of the conference as a W over Richmond by W&M/ JMU now becomes a bigger resume booster and gets more CAA teams to the dance. Therefore, my motivation is a little homerizm for the Dukes...

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 26th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Richmond's injury issues have been pretty well documented.

What is VU dealing with?

HailSzczur
October 26th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Richmond's injury issues have been pretty well documented.

What is VU dealing with?

Earnest Pettway is out for the season. Starting Center Ross Hall has missed alot of time. Austin Medley saw like 1 snap with week, he was out 6 weeks with 2 high ankle sprains. Robertson still has the cast on his non throwing arm. Those are just the ones I can think of without looking

smilo
October 26th, 2014, 12:11 PM
HB Austin Medley came back last game only for HB/Wildcat/all-purpose player Gary Underwood to get injured. Out 4 weeks. I don't know if Ross Hall was back at center last week, but if not he certainly should next week. TE Earnest Pettway is out until the playoffs. He's been our top TD target this year. His backup had a TD catch (his first career reception) vs. Morgan State. Someone else got injured on a TD yesterday, but I didn't see who.

OLB Corey Majors and DE Tanoh Kpassagnon are likely out the rest of the year (though I'm hoping we get Majors for the playoffs).

--------

I posted on Twitter yesterday, the importance of a 2-seed cannot be understated not just for winnability purposes and avoiding NDSU, but for excitement of the fanbase purposes.
12/6 Host St. Joe's basketball
12/6 Host Round of 16 game
12/13 Host Quarterfinal vs. 7 seed
12/14 Host Temple basketball
12/19 (Last Day of Finals) Host #3 seed
12/20 Host Syracuse basketball
If Villanova wants to get the fanbase amped up about football at all, we need home games making 3 straight weekends full of excitement (obviously requiring us to win the first 2).

CHIP72
October 26th, 2014, 01:20 PM
You have to figure that if Villanova hosts a second round playoff game, it will have a 3:30 PM start on Saturday 12/6 to maximize the number of fans who will attend the Villanova/St. Joe's game at 1 PM and decide to stick around to watch the football game after the Holy War game is over.

On a slightly related side note, it irks me to no end that the La Salle/Temple game and the St. Joe's/Villanova game partially overlap. (Explorers/Owls starts at 12 PM.) The Holy War game is the only Big Five matchup I've never seen in person and one of only three City Six matchups I've not attended in person (Drexel/Temple and Drexel/Villanova are the others). However, if Villanova hosts a second round football playoff game, the start time for the Hawks/Wildcats basketball game could work to my advantage. (I intend to attend the La Salle/Temple game at the Palestra that day so I can see both of those teams in person this coming season.)

Nova09
October 26th, 2014, 02:58 PM
You have to figure that if Villanova hosts a second round playoff game, it will have a 3:30 PM start on Saturday 12/6 to maximize the number of fans who will attend the Villanova/St. Joe's game at 1 PM and decide to stick around to watch the football game after the Holy War game is over.

On a slightly related side note, it irks me to no end that the La Salle/Temple game and the St. Joe's/Villanova game partially overlap. (Explorers/Owls starts at 12 PM.) The Holy War game is the only Big Five matchup I've never seen in person and one of only three City Six matchups I've not attended in person (Drexel/Temple and Drexel/Villanova are the others). However, if Villanova hosts a second round football playoff game, the start time for the Hawks/Wildcats basketball game could work to my advantage. (I intend to attend the La Salle/Temple game at the Palestra that day so I can both of those teams in person this coming season.)

If nova gets that 2 seed and makes semis, its either doubleheader Saturday or Friday kickoff saturday main event with cuse bball

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 26th, 2014, 03:06 PM
How does all of this affect the field hockey and women's golf schedules?

CHIP72
October 26th, 2014, 03:30 PM
If nova gets that 2 seed and makes semis, its either doubleheader Saturday or Friday kickoff saturday main event with cuse bball

Yeah, but the 12/20 Syracuse game is at the Wells Fargo Center, not the Pavilion (unlike the 12/6 St. Joe's game). It is a lot harder for people to drive from the WFC to Villanova Stadium or vice-versa than it is to walking on the sidewalks between the Pavilion and Villanova Stadium.

We're getting ahead of ourselves here - the Wildcats need to take care of business against the Spiders on Saturday so those first round bye and later round home game possibilities come into play.

jmrepak
October 26th, 2014, 03:38 PM
As probably the only or one of a very few Coastal Carolina and a UR grads it's no surprise I'm pulling for a Spiders W this weekend at Robins.

32counter
October 26th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Short ride from Conway to UR.Come on up and join in watching the UFC cage fight next Saturday in the Brickhouse.Kickoff is noon.

jmrepak
October 26th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Short ride from Conway to UR.Come on up and join in watching the UFC cage fight next Saturday in the Brickhouse.Kickoff is noon.
Wish I could. I have a rental house up there and haven't been up in over a year, but my business is down here and I have to work for the next 2 or 3 weekends. I'll be watching though

VUCats02
October 26th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Will there be any TV announcers dropping F bombs for this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0igkrYz5W4

KPSUL
October 26th, 2014, 10:13 PM
No motivational issues for Nova and I agree that the seed is very important to miss NDSU. A loss though aids the rest of the conference as a W over Richmond by W&M/ JMU now becomes a bigger resume booster and gets more CAA teams to the dance. Therefore, my motivation is a little homerizm for the Dukes...

Sounds like we essentially agree. A UNH fan just wouldn't be paying attention if they weren't pulling for a RU victory over Nova I'd be going to the RU - Nova game if I didn't already have tickets for W&M - JMU. You guys (JMU) aren't out of the show yet either.

HailSzczur
October 26th, 2014, 10:42 PM

Can't post that without Brandon Harvey's amazing game winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-KWtwe6yGk

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Earnest Pettway is out for the season. Starting Center Ross Hall has missed alot of time. Austin Medley saw like 1 snap with week, he was out 6 weeks with 2 high ankle sprains. Robertson still has the cast on his non throwing arm. Those are just the ones I can think of without looking

I believe also NT Pat Williams was lost for the season with a knee injury vs. Morgan State.

CHIP72
October 27th, 2014, 08:32 AM

I remember watching that game live when it happened. I remember thinking "did I hear what I think I just heard?". Frankly, I thought it was funny.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 27th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Unbelievable that was 5 years ago already. And in a strange scheduling quirk, that's the last time we've had the Wildcats down here.

knucklehead
October 27th, 2014, 09:41 AM
That is a memory for sure. I remember it well.

HUGE GAME! I lean towards Villanova winning this one. The home field advantage will help UR some (if a crowd shows up) and if Rocco can settle and not throw a bunch of picks, UR has a real shot at the upset. As a Liberty fan, I say go UR!

HailSzczur
October 27th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I believe also NT Pat Williams was lost for the season with a knee injury vs. Morgan State.

Hadn't seen that, but I did read that Gary Underwood is lost for at least 3 weeks with a sprained MCL

smilo
October 27th, 2014, 10:23 AM
How does all of this affect the field hockey and women's golf schedules?
Nobody cares anything about football here. This is extremely important because the only remotely relevant thing going on here is basketball.

This is going to be devastating if true. The only reason our pass defense is any good lately is because of the interceptions thrown right to them caused by the pressure up front. Our defensive line is going to pretty poor without him in the middle.

Bison56
October 27th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Will this game be televised or just streaming?

kdinva
October 27th, 2014, 11:26 AM

Comcast SportsNet, Noon........(verizon fios ch. 76 in richmond)

CHIP72
October 27th, 2014, 01:22 PM

Various regional sports networks in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic will televise the game. It may available on premium sports tiers of some cable providers (as an example, I know AT&T U-verse carries some of the regional networks carrying the game) and also on satellite.

Nova09
October 27th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Can someone in NYC area confirm that SNY picked up the game? Website appears to indicate as much, but I don't want to end up in a bar and find out that SNY was actually only streaming the feed online. And I don't live in the area so can't check myself.

Bison56
October 27th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Thank you for the info. Looking forward to this game. Should be a good one.

Catsfan90
October 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM
What's the status on Strauss? And if he isn't playing, how good is their backup?

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 27th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Strauss is out. Probably for the remainder of the season.

Michael Rocco is a highly competent backup. The offense hasn't run as smoothly in the last 2 games as it had previously (under Strauss), but we can still put points on the board.

bostonspider
October 27th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Interestingly Michael Rocco had beaten out Strauss for the starter position at UVA, but could not do so after both had transferred to UR..

CHIP72
October 27th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Can someone in NYC area confirm that SNY picked up the game? Website appears to indicate as much, but I don't want to end up in a bar and find out that SNY was actually only streaming the feed online. And I don't live in the area so can't check myself.

I checked the listings on TVGuide.com for Houston area AT&T U-verse cable systems a couple days ago; SNY is one the channels available on the premium sports tier. Villanova/Richmond was listed as being televised on SNY when I checked.

Also, SNY is one of the channels listed on the CAA Sports website as televising the game: http://www.caasports.com/calendar.aspx?path=football&

MacThor
October 27th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Strauss is out. Probably for the remainder of the season.

Michael Rocco is a highly competent backup. The offense hasn't run as smoothly in the last 2 games as it had previously (under Strauss), but we can still put points on the board.

Is it "probably?" Last I heard, he was having season-ending surgery.

Rocco is a drop-off from Strauss, no doubt. The receivers have stepped it up pretty well since Barnette went down.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 27th, 2014, 04:46 PM
^^Your guess is as good as mine. I'm guessing you've read the same reports I have.

The last one I saw had Strauss seeking a 2nd opinion and that surgery was being held off for now.

heath
October 27th, 2014, 07:07 PM
This Lehigh guy will be travelling south (2 hours further south than Georgetown) to watch this game. Have Richmond family, but kinda think Nova wins. Either way,food, family and beer+ a good game=more than I've seen in Pa this season.

32counter
October 27th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Michael Rocco transferred to UR in January,2013.He had hoped to play in 2013 but with only one year of eligibility he was prevented from doing so.Transfers from FBS to FCS can play immediately if there are at least 2 years of eligibility remaining.UR petitioned the NCAA for immediate playing time but to no avail.Michael Strauss as UR's starting QB finished 2013 on fire as one of the better FCS QB's.Having not played in over a year ,Michael Rocco in the preseason was unable to win the starting job but has played in all games this season.Young Rocco,started 23 games at UVA during his stay in Charlottesville.It is Michael Rocco's team now to direct.

Nova09
October 28th, 2014, 08:07 AM
I saw the Williams injury posted on Villanova rivals site. This poster "Uncle Ed" is apparently in the know on the Main Line:

UncleEd
https://ct.yimg.com/mr/images/forum/badge/rr144.gif (https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1014&CID=149847)
Post #9345 (https://villanova.rivals.com/rfFan.asp?Post=0&User=609082)
MyFanPage (https://villanova.rivals.com/rfFan.asp?User=609082)
Add Buddy (https://villanova.rivals.com/rfEdit.asp?Page=5&Update=5&Add=609082)
Ignore (https://villanova.rivals.com/mbignore.asp?user=609082&action=add)

Re: Gary Underwood's status?

Underwood is out for three games with a leg injury. Medley returned yesterday after missing three or four games. Eleven carries for 31 yds. BTW Underwood is a fine receiver coming out of the backfield.
So Cats got an RB back and then lost a RB. A Nova plan was to redshirt Soph Javon White. Might change that plan.
True frosh Matt Gudzak has impressed at times this season. Will get more PT. Underwood will surely return for the playoffs.
The really sad injury report is that senior nose tackle Pat Williams suffered a career ending

UncleEd
https://ct.yimg.com/mr/images/forum/badge/rr144.gif (https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1014&CID=149847)
Post #9345 (https://villanova.rivals.com/rfFan.asp?Post=0&User=609082)
MyFanPage (https://villanova.rivals.com/rfFan.asp?User=609082)
Add Buddy (https://villanova.rivals.com/rfEdit.asp?Page=5&Update=5&Add=609082)
Ignore (https://villanova.rivals.com/mbignore.asp?user=609082&action=add)

Re: Gary Underwood's status?

Underwood is out for three games with a leg injury. Medley returned yesterday after missing three or four games. Eleven carries for 31 yds. BTW Underwood is a fine receiver coming out of the backfield.
So Cats got an RB back and then lost a RB. A Nova plan was to redshirt Soph Javon White. Might change that plan.
True frosh Matt Gudzak has impressed at times this season. Will get more PT. Underwood will surely return for the playoffs.
The really sad injury report is that senior nose tackle Pat Williams suffered a career ending knee injury. Williams has been playing very well. Yesterday he blocked a punt that I swear he blocked with his face mask. He will be missed.Junior tackle Jordan Hunter must step up. Hunter surely has the size at 6-2, 320.
10/26 8:20 AM | IP: Logged

10/26 8:20 AM | IP: Logged

Yes, Williams is done. Absolutely terrible decision to schedule that game. Ridiculous knee jerk. Could be the decision that gets JR the Payton while simultaneously knocking us out of NC contention.

VUCats02
October 28th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Yes, Williams is done. Absolutely terrible decision to schedule that game. Ridiculous knee jerk. Could be the decision that gets JR the Payton while simultaneously knocking us out of NC contention.

Oh, stop. It could have happened any game. Last year, not scheduling a 12th game could have been reason Nova didn't make playoffs.

smilo
October 28th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Pat Williams will be suited up for the Richmond game. No injury. (Thanks to Brian Ewart for confirming that with the University.)

Gangtackle11
October 28th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Great news.

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Good, we could use another one of these next week: One of the best punt blocks I've ever seen (2:37)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX990QIqqos#t=158

VUCats02
October 28th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Cannot wait to see this game. So glad I get CSN all the over here in Texas! Great news about Pat Williams. I would be shocked if the game ended with a team winning by more than 1 score.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 28th, 2014, 08:48 PM
How did Williams go from being out for the season to back healthy in a day? Bad Intel or just a ruse?

HailSzczur
October 28th, 2014, 09:35 PM
How did Williams go from being out for the season to back healthy in a day? Bad Intel or just a ruse?

Or a miracle....we are a Catholic school.

Saw this on a the rivals board. No sources or anything so I'm really not sure what the intel is like here: "Practiced today. Will play Sat. Torn meniscus. If he gets by Sat. then meds might scope it. Then he would be out until playoffs."

lydiabixby
October 29th, 2014, 08:02 AM
The Richmond weather forecast has wind and rain for Saturday afternoon. Sounds like a John Robertson day.

bluehenbillk
October 29th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Can a UR fan confirm a stat from last year i remember: Has (Coach) Rocco never lost a November game?

URMite
October 29th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Can a UR fan confirm a stat from last year i remember: Has (Coach) Rocco never lost a November game?

Not true 14-4 at Liberty, but 7-0 at UR...

Anovafan
October 29th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Pat Williams did suffer a meniscus tear last week. He doesn't want surgery and wants to play the rest of the season with the tear. He will play against Richmond and the doctors will evaluate it after the game. If it gets worse he will have surgery next Monday and be out 3 weeks and hopefully back for the playoffs, assuming everything goes to plan with his knee and that whole making the playoffs thing. If I had to guess, the story will be the same next Monday, the kid is a warrior and doesn't want to miss a game.

bluehenbillk
October 29th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Not true 14-4 at Liberty, but 7-0 at UR...

OK, it was probably just undefeated at UR then...

jmrepak
November 1st, 2014, 11:31 AM
Sounds like an ugly game in bad weather so far. Still in the 1st quarter and there is 1 int and 1 muffed punt for both teams... Still tied, but its 3rd and goal from the 8 for 'Nova

Edit...'Nova throws an INT in the endzone. We are now at 5 turnovers in the 1st qtr.

CHIP72
November 1st, 2014, 11:34 AM
Robertson with an INT in the endzone after the muffed punt. Still 0-0.

CHIP72
November 1st, 2014, 11:35 AM
Incidentally, a free stream of the game is available on the CAA website.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 1st, 2014, 11:40 AM
Richmond just fumbled at the 'Nova 1..this game is extra sloppy....

jmrepak
November 1st, 2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks for that. Richmond wanted to charge for it and Nova didn't see anything about CAA.com

tribe_pride
November 1st, 2014, 11:42 AM
This 1st quarter has been ugly. 6 turnovers already including 2 inside the 10 yard line and a missed 47 yard FG.

2 muffed punts - 1 from each team (1 own player ran into him and the other ball was going over head and guy went for it). Each QB has thrown an INT and Nova has a reverse where the backup threw an INT. Finally Rocco fumbled the snap at the 1 yard line. 0-0 at the end of the 1st.

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 12:00 PM
ugh...what an ugly game...

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM
This 1st quarter has been ugly. 6 turnovers already including 2 inside the 10 yard line and a missed 47 yard FG.

2 muffed punts - 1 from each team (1 own player ran into him and the other ball was going over head and guy went for it). Each QB has thrown an INT and Nova has a reverse where the backup threw an INT. Finally Rocco fumbled the snap at the 1 yard line. 0-0 at the end of the 1st.

Also two missed FGs

tribe_pride
November 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM
Another missed 47 yard FG by Richmond - not even close. Very windy with some rain. Still 0-0 with about 6:00 to go in the half.

Nova played subpar 2 weeks ago in the first half before turning it on. Same this week? Richmond with 200 yards so far and Nova with only about 100 but are driving at the Richmond 30.

tribe_pride
November 1st, 2014, 12:08 PM
Who'd have thought? Nova is the one who is able to kick a FG. 3-0 Nova on a 24 yarder.

CHIP72
November 1st, 2014, 12:11 PM
Good kickoff return by Richmond out to their 35 yard line. They have 2:20 to work with before halftime.

CHIP72
November 1st, 2014, 12:16 PM
Halftime score:

Villanova 3 Richmond 0

TypicalTribe
November 1st, 2014, 12:19 PM
Just a sloppy game so far. Rocco has had trouble throwing the ball accurately and there's been mistakes all over the place. Richmond has really had opportunities to gain a leg up and have to be disappointed that they're down at the half. Will be interesting to see if either team can get much traction, real or metaphoric, in the 2nd half.

Lehigh'98
November 1st, 2014, 12:44 PM
Both offenses look stiff this game. Defensive struggle right now, 3-3. Hope Nova didn't peak too early in the season.

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 12:45 PM
Ugly...fumbled snap. Richmond gets it at the 6 and goes for -13 yrds on the drive but manages the FG to tie it up.

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 12:55 PM
Nova get a TD but then miss the xtra point.

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 12:57 PM
Nova has missed 6 extra points this year? How the hell do you miss six extra points?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 1st, 2014, 12:58 PM
Nova has missed 6 extra points this year? How the hell do you miss six extra points?

Bad kicker. They'd be undefeated with a decent one....

TypicalTribe
November 1st, 2014, 01:00 PM
Then he knocked the kickoff out of bounds at the 20. Disastrous couple of kicks.

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 01:02 PM
Richmond marches down and scores...lead 10-9

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 01:23 PM
Now you have Richmond calling consecutive time outs. Going to see it all this game.

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 01:26 PM
And Richmond throws a pic in the redzone. Still 10-9

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 01:45 PM
wow..Richmond with a chance to run a bunch of time off the clock and only use about 45 seconds. Poor execution there.

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM
Nova turns it over on downs..2:30 left..Richmond ball.

gsf23nd
November 1st, 2014, 01:52 PM
Down goes Nova...

Go Lehigh TU owl
Richmond will win! I have no idea what do with 'Nova after this game. Richmond is damn good team but VU had a ton of self-inflicted wounds....

dwtime
Richmond wins 10-9

Bison56
November 1st, 2014, 01:54 PM
Would it be fair to say they both had played their worst game of the year on the same day?

dwtime
November 1st, 2014, 02:10 PM
Would it be fair to say they both had played their worst game of the year on the same day?

I would agree with both offenses but both defenses sounded like they played very well.

Lehigh'98
November 1st, 2014, 02:11 PM
Wonder if nova still gets a seed. Now they probably will have to go through fargo dome to win it

kdinva
November 1st, 2014, 02:13 PM
.....and the CAA gets tighter.......

HailSzczur
November 1st, 2014, 02:26 PM
Our effing kicking game....That's all I have to say

seattlespider
November 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
Ugly defensive game, but it gets us the big win we desperately needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HailSzczur
November 1st, 2014, 02:34 PM
This is setting the CAA up nicely for 4 bids

Gordon Shumway
November 1st, 2014, 02:46 PM
That was one ugly game, but congrats to the Spiders. Nova is going to be kicking themselves (pun intended) over losing a potential #2 seed on a missed XP. Ouch.

Richmond did a fabulous job containing Robertson. From what I had seen from him in the past, I wasn't sure he was actually human. Guess he is after all.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2014, 03:05 PM
The Richmond Spiders are back in the national conversation. It's been too long but it feels damn good.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2014, 03:07 PM
It would probably be fair to call this our worst offensive performance of the year ... but our best defensive performance. By far.

spdram
November 1st, 2014, 04:47 PM
Defense has been getting better for the last month, no real stars, but solid across the field. The wind seemed to affect both teams today, we were missing 3 DB's today, so it may have been a good thing

jmrepak
November 1st, 2014, 06:37 PM
<--This Coastal and Richmond Alum thanks the Spiders for getting it done today!

SpiderJPO
November 1st, 2014, 07:18 PM
At some point people will wake up and realize that Richmond is relevant. If UNH does not score to beat us earlier this year with less than a minute left we are in the top 5. We still have not played a complete game and will only get better the next three weeks.

spdram
November 1st, 2014, 07:47 PM
Add to that, remove the FBS Wahoos from the schedule (replace with a "warm-up" game like some play) and we could be undefeated.

Gordon Shumway
November 1st, 2014, 08:31 PM
At some point people will wake up and realize that Richmond is relevant. If UNH does not score to beat us earlier this year with less than a minute left we are in the top 5. We still have not played a complete game and will only get better the next three weeks.

Wait...what?

How do you suppose they got to be ranked #8 this week, if people don't think they are relevant?

knucklehead
November 1st, 2014, 08:37 PM
Congrats to UR. Keep on winning

SpiderJPO
November 1st, 2014, 08:47 PM
Gordon, you are right about the fan's poll but check out our other rankings prior to this week in the other polls. I think everyone tended to think the CAA was only two elite teams and then a drop in quality. My argument is UNH beat us in the last minute after we led the entire game but yet we have continued to be an afterthought since then. Check out the picks on this board prior to the game today. Take a look at the comments on this post about an ugly game. It was a physical battle today that we should have won by two touchdowns. If we don't fumble away the ball against UNH inside the five that game is completely different and the Spiders would be at #2 and not you. That being said you guys showed some big time guts driving the field with your second string QB to win our game on the last drive and deserve your lofty ranking but I think we should be closer to you than we have been so far. Now we just have to keep winning and the rest of the country will realize what type of team we have.