PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the Year nominees?

Southern Bison
October 25th, 2014, 11:40 PM
It's been a coming out of the cellar for a few teams this season and it's also been business as usual for other schools that experienced coaching changes. Other schools kept their coach and are disappointed or elated.

Who do you think is nominated/wins the FCS Coach of the Year?

My nominees:
Chris Kleiman, NDSU - If he goes into the playoffs undefeated, he's in the discussion. Replacing Bohl and 26 Seniors from the Perfection of '13 and still maintaining the unbeaten streak cannot be ignored.

Mark Speirs, Western Carolina - What he's developing in Cullowhee is a long-awaited resurgence of Catamount football. If WCU makes the playoffs, that's the year's Cinderella story.

Mike Kramer, Idaho State - Let's see what they do in the final 4 games but he's 1 win shy of tying the total wins for the past 3 seasons. ISU could be a surprise bubble team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 25th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Without looking up names, the EKU and Coastal Carolina coaches should get serious consideration.

Ash has done a helluva job at Montana State this year too....

dewey
October 25th, 2014, 11:47 PM
It's been a coming out of the cellar for a few teams this season and it's also been business as usual for other schools that experienced coaching changes. Other schools kept their coach and are disappointed or elated.

Who do you think is nominated/wins the FCS Coach of the Year?

My nominees:
Chris Kleiman, NDSU - If he goes into the playoffs undefeated, he's in the discussion. Replacing Bohl and 26 Seniors from the Perfection of '13 and still maintaining the unbeaten streak cannot be ignored.

Mark Speirs, Western Carolina - What he's developing in Cullowhee is a long-awaited resurgence of Catamount football. If WCU makes the playoffs, that's the year's Cinderella story.

Mike Kramer, Idaho State - Let's see what they do in the final 4 games but he's 1 win shy of tying the total wins for the past 3 seasons. ISU could be a surprise bubble team.

I agree with Mike Kramer from Idaho State especially if they end up a playoff team. From how terrible they have been to a playoff team is incredible.

I also agree with Chris Klieman. Probably add Mike Sanford (???) Indiana State head coach, Mike McDonnell New Hampshire head coach (sorry for name if I got it wrong), Coastal Carolina head coach, Illinois State head coach (Brock Spack?), Villanova head coach.

I am sure I missed some but these should be a good start.

Dewey

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 11:57 PM
I don't know about Coach of the Year nationally...but I think Speir is the Coach of the Year in the SoCon, even if they lose to Chattanooga next week and don't win the SoCon. He has done a helluva a job.

Big_Fan
October 26th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Its a bit early yet to declare a "Coach of the Year," but first year coach John Grass quietly has JSU 6-1, with out lone loss being at Michigan State.

We began the season with an almost entirely new coaching staff, rebuilt linebacking corp, and young secondary... and had two games on the road right off the bat - MSU and Chatty. I think the way MSU throttled us on the scoreboard caused people to ignore us. We went conservative against UTC, and ended up needing OT to win the game - in spite of completely dominating them statistically... and people wrote us off even more.

The TSU game was ugly, in large part because the game was played in a torrential downpour, on a field that was literally coming apart. Our DB's couldn't cut and we were forced to play soft zone. TSU chewed up a lot of yards through the air, but we still handed them their first loss in "the hole," in multiple seasons.

We are continuing to improve. The TTU game was our most complete game of the season. We had just 2 penalties, and were solid in all phases of the game (sans blocked 50 yd FG attempt).

Our defense held MSU's run game in check until late, Chatty to only 111 yards (negative total offense in the first half). Trash time yards (3rd string defense getting burned deep multiple times in the 4th qtr by a D2 Harlon Hill candidate), and passing yards put up by MSU, are the main reasons our defense isn't ranked higher.

Our offense missed its 3rd game of over 600 yards by 4 yards today. A lot of that damage was done with our 3rd string QB, after our starting QB suffered a jammed finger on his throwing hand. Unlike last season, we have a backup QB that can do the same things our starting QB does.

All of this to say, Coach Grass started the season with two tough games on the road - the defending Big 10 champion, and the odds-on favorite to win the SoCon. Coach Clark took almost all of his assistants to UAB, and our defense has had to grow up in a hurry. We have reeled off 6 straight wins. If we run the table, earn a seed, and make a run in the playoffs, it will be hard to argue that he hasn't done a fantastic job in his first year as a college head coach (and just second year coaching at the college level), and deserves at least some consideration for honors.

penguinpower
October 26th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Best coach of the year is Indiana State'so Mike Sanford. He has really dine the mist with his team by just about anyone else. It is easy to win when you are chocked full of talent. I think Indiana State plays at a level or 2 above what would be expected with their overall talent level..

Now I'll probably hear from 150 NDSU fans on why their coach should be nominated. AND I KNOW THAT DEWEY ALREADY MENTIONED SANFORD. TALKING ABOUT OTHERS.

danefan
October 26th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Greg Gattuso from Albany

Albany is essentially the same team that went 1-11 last year. He's got them sitting at 6-2 right in his first year. Tremendous turnaround.

DawnBTVS
October 26th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I'll throw out a vote to Jay Hopson over at Alcorn State for consideration. First white HC ever turned around a program that went 2-8 and is currently sitting at 7-2 (including a 6 point loss to FBS Southern Miss). Only other loss was 28-21 to an in-conference 5-0 Grambling State squad.

Cocky
October 26th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Grass has also had to deal with a large amount of injuries. At last count 14 out with injuries.

Professor Chaos
October 26th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Mike Sanford at Indiana St has to be in the mix. If they make the playoffs I think he'll be tough to beat.

dgreco
October 26th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Marty Fine has to be on the list. After consecutive 4-7 seasons, Bryant is having a heck of a season. The team is very young and was picked 6th in the conference coaches' poll.

WWII
October 26th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Marty Fine has to be on the list. After consecutive 4-7 seasons, Bryant is having a heck of a season. The team is very young and was picked 6th in the conference coaches' poll.

I totally agree.

KPSUL
October 26th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I agree with Mike Kramer from Idaho State especially if they end up a playoff team. From how terrible they have been to a playoff team is incredible.

I also agree with Chris Klieman. Probably add Mike Sanford (???) Indiana State head coach, Mike McDonnell New Hampshire head coach (sorry for name if I got it wrong), Coastal Carolina head coach, Illinois State head coach (Brock Spack?), Villanova head coach.

Dewey

You got the UNH coach's last name, but his first name is Sean. Villanova's coach is Andy Talley, he's been there since the mid-80's. Coastal's Coach is Joe Moglia, fairly well publicized for having been a super wealthy bank CEO before returning to college coaching.

It's a little early in the season to pick the one likely recipient of the Eddie Robinson Award, but it is fun to speculate on who is shaping up as the most likely candidates. Talley and McDonnell are both former recipients so I think they'd have to go all the way to the championship game to be selected. It may actually be harder to sustain greatness after a coaching change but I don't think that Klieman could win this year even with a Championship - feelings that he is still winning with Bohl's team.

To me that leaves the two most likely candidates as Spack from Illinois State and Moglia from Coastal Carolina; assuming either goes to the Semis in the playoffs.

cjsweat
October 26th, 2014, 11:58 AM
WCU lost at South Florida and at a tough Presbyterian team. That's a complete reversal from last season. Speir has to be the front-runner in my opinion.

citdog
October 26th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Harold Nichols from PC and Bobby Lamb of Mercer deserve consideration.

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Indian State's coach, WCU Coach those 2 are the top of the list.

MTfan4life
October 26th, 2014, 12:11 PM
No mention for Broderick Fobbs out of Grambling? They forfeited a game less than 12 months ago and now they are sitting in first place of their conference. What he's done there in a short matter of time has been incredible.

Jrbird2
October 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Brock Spack of Illinois State needs a mention or two here - the Redbirds are off to their best start since 1932!

Professor Chaos
October 26th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Brock Spack of Illinois State needs a mention or two here - the Redbirds are off to their best start since 1932!
Enjoy Coach Spack while you have him because I'm thinking he may be off to greener pastures soon. I know in the past he was mentioned in connection with several jobs that former NDSU coach Craig Bohl was mentioned in. I think with how well the Redbirds have done this year it may be the year he gets poached by a bigger program.

Fordham
October 26th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Joe Moorhead
Andy Talley

citdog
October 26th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Joe Moorhead
Andy Talley

Talley perhaps

Moorhead nope

AshevilleApp2
October 26th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Harold Nichols from PC and Bobby Lamb of Mercer deserve consideration.

I have to agree on both.

AmsterBison
October 26th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Coach from Western Illinois has done pretty well... but playing two Big 10 teams is bad enough, but this is not the year you want to be merely good in the MVFC.

Southern Bison
October 27th, 2014, 07:46 PM
The posts are what I was hoping for...insightful for the most part and mentioning a few coaches I didn't think of.

WestCoastAggie
October 27th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Rod Broadway definitely needs to be considered for this award.

Gangtackle11
October 27th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Andy Talley: only a shanked 25 yard FG @ Syracuse keeps the Wildcats from being undefeated.

ngineer
October 27th, 2014, 09:46 PM

Dewey

This is Andy Talley's last year as the only coach Villanova has known since reinstating football back in the late 1980's. If the Wildcats finish regular season undefeated against all FCS teams and narrow loss to Syracuse, he gets serious consideration. When is the voting, i.e. does performance in playoffs come into consideration? If so, then 'cats may need to get to at least semi-finals or finals.

bojeta
October 27th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Won't know for 3 weeks, but if Cal Poly pulls off a Big Sky title, and playoff spot, then Tim Walsh certainly deserves consideration in light of the disastrous events that preceded this season, and the remarkable comeback so far.

veinup
October 28th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Won't know for 3 weeks, but if Cal Poly pulls off a Big Sky title, and playoff spot, then Tim Walsh certainly deserves consideration in light of the disastrous events that preceded this season, and the remarkable comeback so far.

thatd be quite something indeed.

McNeese75
October 28th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Broderick Fobbs - Grambling

Taking a 1-10 team that was in complete shambles (way worse than any other turn around team this year) to a 5-3 (5-0 in conference) record so far.

- - - Updated - - -

No mention for Broderick Fobbs out of Grambling? They forfeited a game less than 12 months ago and now they are sitting in first place of their conference. What he's done there in a short matter of time has been incredible.

I missed this one, sorry

Professor Chaos
October 28th, 2014, 10:43 AM
This is Andy Talley's last year as the only coach Villanova has known since reinstating football back in the late 1980's. If the Wildcats finish regular season undefeated against all FCS teams and narrow loss to Syracuse, he gets serious consideration. When is the voting, i.e. does performance in playoffs come into consideration? If so, then 'cats may need to get to at least semi-finals or finals.
In reference to the Eddie Robinson award I'm fairly sure the voting occurs before the playoffs begin even though the winner isn't announced until mid-December usually.

Catamount87
October 28th, 2014, 10:43 AM
So many very good candidates with good stories. But I think two that really shine are Mark Speir at WCU and Broderick Fobbs at Grambling. Both took over programs that were in disarray, God awful disarray. I'd give a slight nod to Speir because he had to first rebuild through recruiting (only 7 Sr or RS-Sr on the team). Fobbs had possibly more talent to work with, 21 Sr. Still, it's a shame we'd have to pick just one because they've both done phenomenal jobs!

Anovafan
October 28th, 2014, 10:45 AM

I believe the voting for the Eddie Robinson award is done before the playoffs and the AFCA coaches award is done after the playoffs. The latter usually goes to the NC winning coach.

And Andy Talley will be back coaching next year.....Nova will be just as good next year as this one.

Southern Bison
October 28th, 2014, 10:35 PM
So far, we have the following coaches mentioned (by school name in alphabetical order)

*Albany - Greg Gattuso
* Alcorn State - Jay Hopson
* Bryant - Marty Fine
* Cal Poly - Tim Walsh
* Coastal Carolina - Joe Moglia
* Eastern Kentucky - Dean Hood
* Fordham - Joe Moorhead
* Grambling - Broderick Fobbs
* Idaho State - Mike Kramer
* Illinois State - Brock Spack
* Indiana State - Mike Sanford
* Jacksonville State - John Grass
* Mercer - Bobby Lamb
* Montana State - Rob Ash
* New Hampshire - Sean McDonnell
* NC A&T - Rob Broadway
* North Dakota State - Chris Kleiman
* Presbyterian - Harold Nichols
* Villanova - Andy Talley
* Western Carolina - Mark Speir

Any others?

SFA 93
October 29th, 2014, 07:05 AM
If SFA wins out with 4 games left to go, finishes 10-2, conference champions, playoffs and ranked, from a 3-7 season, where they were ranked dead last in almost everything on defense, Clint Conque should get it.

But only if these things that are still possible happen.

ysubigred
October 29th, 2014, 07:30 AM
So far, we have the following coaches mentioned (by school name in alphabetical order)

*Albany - Greg Gattuso
* Alcorn State - Jay Hopson
* Bryant - Marty Fine
* Cal Poly - Tim Walsh
* Coastal Carolina - Joe Moglia
* Eastern Kentucky - Dean Hood
* Fordham - Joe Moorhead
* Grambling - Broderick Fobbs
* Idaho State - Mike Kramer
* Illinois State - Brock Spack
* Indiana State - Mike Sanford
* Jacksonville State - John Grass
* Mercer - Bobby Lamb
* Montana State - Rob Ash
* New Hampshire - Sean McDonnell
* NC A&T - Rob Broadway
* North Dakota State - Chris Kleiman
* Presbyterian - Harold Nichols
* Villanova - Andy Talley
* Western Carolina - Mark Speir

Any others?

This might sound screwed up since I've been firing this guy for 3 years... YSU's Wolford... If they go 4-0 (very tall order) to finish the year and get a deep playoff run with a True freshman QB Wolford should definitely get a mention considering the past 4 years of collapse.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2014, 05:14 PM
This might sound screwed up since I've been firing this guy for 3 years... YSU's Wolford... If they go 4-0 (very tall order) to finish the year and get a deep playoff run with a True freshman QB Wolford should definitely get a mention considering the past 4 years of collapse.

No way, that guy is a dumpster fire.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 29th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Greg Gattuso of Albany. Remarkable coaching job.