PDA

View Full Version : Bethune-Cookman At-large?

smilo
October 25th, 2014, 08:07 PM
If South Carolina State and Bethune-Cookman both win out (a somewhat significant if since they do play a couple not-terrible teams), SC State will have the head to head tie-breaker (even if NC A+T is included too I believe but that might be more complicated).

They would be 10-2 (the same as what we were speculating Sacred Heart to potentially be before their loss today if the only remaining loss had been Bryant). The losses would be SC State and getting dominated by FBS UCF.

The 10 wins would include (Sagarin ranking as of last Saturday out of 252 teams):
D2 Florida Tech
249 Savannah State
239 Florida A&M
233 Delaware State
231 Howard
228 Hampton
227 Norfolk State
223 NC Central
222 Grambling State
130 FIU

The losses are to #50 and #174.
Western Carolina was already ahead of them and teams like Bryant and James Madison are sure to jump ahead based on this defeat. Quite possibly some non-Harvard Ivies too.

So, even though I'm leading you, do you believe a team with 9-sub 222 wins should be invited for the FIU win? And secondly, will the committee extend the invitation?

I'm sure it's tough to say without knowing what other teams are going to be there, but compare them to a 7 win MVFC or maybe SLC team.

Big Dawg
October 25th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Right now, I don't think so...we, as a conference, haven't earned the right for an at-large bid

As much as I would like to see it, I just don't think so...now had BCU not lost to SCSU, and dominated everybody the rest of the way, MAYBE...but right now...no

FargoBison
October 25th, 2014, 08:19 PM
They shouldn't but the committee will cave and give them one.

Bisonator
October 25th, 2014, 08:28 PM
No/no.

You want a playoff invite, play somebody! Geeze that schedule is pathetic!

Bison56
October 25th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Um no.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2014, 08:59 PM
No/God No.

No. No. No. No.

LehighU11
October 25th, 2014, 09:01 PM
No/God No.

No. No. No. No.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if a second MEAC team sneaks in ahead of a 4th MVFC.

centennial
October 25th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if a second MEAC team sneaks in ahead of a 4th MVFC.

The collective whining will be deafening and it would be justified. Kinda like 30th out of 39th basketball ball conference getting an at large.

FargoBison
October 25th, 2014, 09:07 PM

Yep some of these people need to look at last year's playoff field....

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2014, 09:11 PM
The answer is No/Yes....gonna be an interesting next few weeks I think...especially with what is happening in the MVFC and the Big Sky.

Big Dawg
October 25th, 2014, 09:59 PM
No/no.

You want a playoff invite, play somebody! Geeze that schedule is pathetic!

That comment makes no sense at all...their OOC schedule comprised of two FBS programs and one team from the SWAC

The rest are conference games which you can't just NOT play...high horse much?

FWIW, I also said No

Humble Steward
October 25th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Honestly, without me being biased, B-CU would receive an at large bid at 10-2. Just look at last years playoffs. SCSU got in at 9-3 and there is no reason for me to believe that we would have to be 11-1 to get into the playoffs. Just one mans opinion, but there still is a lot of football to play. Good luck to everyone with the remainder of their season.xpeacex

MTfan4life
October 25th, 2014, 10:08 PM
South Carolina State got in at 9-3 last season with no good wins and over a pretty decent bubble of teams. BCU has the chance to finish 10-2 with an FBS win. The committee LOVES FBS wins. When SHSU got the #1 overall seed a few years back, a big argument presented by the committee was that they had an FBS win even though it was over New Mexico State who would have struggled in the NAIA that season. What is scary is that 3 teams could get in from the MEAC. NC A&T could very well be 10-2 as well and they'd have essentially the same resume SCSU had last season with one more win. Three teams from the MEAC is a great possibility if they all win out. Every one will now be fans of Morgan State as they are the best team left on SCSU's schedule.

JSUBison
October 25th, 2014, 11:34 PM
South Carolina State got in at 9-3 last season with no good wins and over a pretty decent bubble of teams. BCU has the chance to finish 10-2 with an FBS win. The committee LOVES FBS wins. When SHSU got the #1 overall seed a few years back, a big argument presented by the committee was that they had an FBS win even though it was over New Mexico State who would have struggled in the NAIA that season. What is scary is that 3 teams could get in from the MEAC. NC A&T could very well be 10-2 as well and they'd have essentially the same resume SCSU had last season with one more win. Three teams from the MEAC is a great possibility if they all win out. Every one will now be fans of Morgan State as they are the best team left on SCSU's schedule.

As I pointed out in a thread talking about Lehigh getting passed over when the went 10-1, the committee has shown that in the event of ties for the conference autobid, they don't try to make sense of it and just invite everybody that tied. If the MEAC has three teams tied for first at the end of the year, the committee will not have an easy job at all. If the Big Sky and MVFC have bubble teams all jumbled together in places 2-4 or so in the standings, as it looks like it could happen, it will be a nightmare scenario, but will make for some excellent reading here!

MTfan4life
October 26th, 2014, 12:49 AM
As I pointed out in a thread talking about Lehigh getting passed over when the went 10-1, the committee has shown that in the event of ties for the conference autobid, they don't try to make sense of it and just invite everybody that tied. If the MEAC has three teams tied for first at the end of the year, the committee will not have an easy job at all. If the Big Sky and MVFC have bubble teams all jumbled together in places 2-4 or so in the standings, as it looks like it could happen, it will be a nightmare scenario, but will make for some excellent reading here!

My projection for this week will likely have all 3 teams in it. Fans can scrunch their face and spill milk all they want, but in the end, if you don't want to risk being out at-larged by a MEAC, your team better not lose more than 3 games.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Right now, A&T is in first place. If A&T, Bethune-Cookman and South Carolina State win out, all three would be co-champs and BCU would earn the auto-bid.

ejjones
October 26th, 2014, 06:52 AM
First off, way too early to have this discussion. The real poll should be, does the MEAC deserve a 2nd bid, regardless of who it is. We have 6 teams with 1 conference lost. This race is far from over. There is a lot of parity in the league & I really like this new crop of coaches. The MEAC as a conference is steadily improving & we will not be the laughing stock of FCS for much longer.

With that said, go bulldogs; however, we do not control our own destiny. BC is now our friend as they host NCCU next week.

Humble Steward
October 26th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Right now, A&T is in first place. If A&T, Bethune-Cookman and South Carolina State win out, all three would be co-champs and BCU would earn the auto-bid.

Help me understand how we would receive the automatic bid. If we all win out, South Carolina State would have wins over BCU and A&T. I thought head to head would give them the nod, unless since all three teams didn't play each other it goes to points.

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2014, 08:14 AM
First off, way too early to have this discussion. The real poll should be, does the MEAC deserve a 2nd bid, regardless of who it is. We have 6 teams with 1 conference lost. This race is far from over. There is a lot of parity in the league & I really like this new crop of coaches. The MEAC as a conference is steadily improving & we will not be the laughing stock of FCS for much longer.

With that said, go bulldogs; however, we do not control our own destiny. BC is now our friend as they host NCCU next week.

Yep, Morgan and NCCU still control their own destinies.

And no the committee is not going to punish a 10-2 team because of its conference affiliation. When it comes down to it, BCU has a win over FBS OOC. But the MEAC season is far from over.

Sidebar: take a look at the Pioneer league too. If Jacksonville wins, and BCU finishes 10-2; BCU is definitely in to provide a cheaper match up.

Bisonator
October 26th, 2014, 08:22 AM
That comment makes no sense at all...their OOC schedule comprised of two FBS programs and one team from the SWAC

The rest are conference games which you can't just NOT play...high horse much?

FWIW, I also said No

Well when your conference is complete garbage I don't think you deserve an auto bid either.

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Well when your conference is complete garbage I don't think you deserve an auto bid either. Good for you! When are y'all moving up to FBS?

eaglesdare
October 26th, 2014, 09:02 AM
BCU loses to NCCU

MSU loses to A&T or SCSU

NCCU vs NC A&T is defacto MEAC Title Game

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Well when your conference is complete garbage I don't think you deserve an auto bid either.

Wow. Is it too late to use my banhammer, Ursus? They may not be in the MVFC (god's gift to FCS), but they meet the requirements for an invite. Take a chill pill brah.

FargoBison
October 26th, 2014, 09:52 AM
The MEAC has been competitive in their playoff games, they definitely deserve the auto...

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Wow. Is it too late to use my banhammer, Ursus? They may not be in the MVFC (god's gift to FCS), but they meet the requirements for an invite. Take a chill pill brah.

Outside of the auto they have no business as an at large. Like I said last week, Massey rates 6 D2 conferences stronger than them. They would barely deserve one in the D2 playoffs. Neither BC or SCSt have any business in the playoffs, we aren't here to give spots for political correctness. The at larges should be the next best 13. BC or SCSt aren't even in the next best 20-25.

ejjones
October 26th, 2014, 11:20 AM
You should leave ND sometime...there is a world that exist outside of hunting season.

ejjones
October 26th, 2014, 11:24 AM
BCU loses to NCCU

MSU loses to A&T or SCSU

NCCU vs NC A&T is defacto MEAC Title Game
BC will not lose 2 conference games in a row. They lost like 5 in the last 4 years. So your #1 is out.

ejjones
October 26th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Outside of the auto they have no business as an at large. Like I said last week, Massey rates 6 D2 conferences stronger than them. They would barely deserve one in the D2 playoffs. Neither BC or SCSt have any business in the playoffs, we aren't here to give spots for political correctness. The at larges should be the next best 13. BC or SCSt aren't even in the next best 20-25.
What are you folks drinking in Fargo? I realize your comments is only a small sample, but gee...makes you wonder.

kalm
October 26th, 2014, 11:30 AM
My projection for this week will likely have all 3 teams in it. Fans can scrunch their face and spill milk all they want, but in the end, if you don't want to risk being out at-larged by a MEAC, your team better not lose more than 3 games.

You may be right, but if you're from the MEAC, Pioneer, Patriot, and NEC it should be that you better win your conference it you don't want to get at-larged by an 8-4…especially from the MVFC.

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM
What are you folks drinking in Fargo? I realize your comments is only a small sample, but gee...makes you wonder.
Firstly, I am in CO. I know reading is a hard skill. Secondly, instead of making a personal attack why don't you prove that your conference deserves an at large. You can't. Your Ad hominem attack has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with the fact that you hope emotion takes over logic like last year, so that your undeserving teams can sneak over a deserving one. There is no reason for an at large from your conference over a MVFC or CAA team. Our dungeon dwellers South Dakota, Western Illinois would likely win your conference with ease.

ejjones
October 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Firstly, I am in CO. I know reading is a hard skill. Secondly, instead of making a personal attack why don't you prove that your conference deserves an at large. You can't. Your Ad hominem attack has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with the fact that you hope emotion takes over logic like last year, so that your undeserving teams can sneak over a deserving one. There is no reason for an at large from your conference over a MVFC or CAA team. Our dungeon dwellers South Dakota, Western Illinois would likely win your conference with ease.
Oops, my bad; I presumed you were a Fargo homer. I see you qualify for the Denver suburbs. Lastly, I don't have to prove anything. The committee will do that for you.

FargoBison
October 26th, 2014, 11:57 AM

Somewhere Clenz is losing his mind right now.

I would agreed. Three MEAC teams would be an absolute joke.

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Somewhere Clenz is losing his mind right now.

I would agreed. Three MEAC teams would be an absolute joke.
Any MVFC fan should. The reality is that NDSU won't always be the best team, we might be the 2nd-4th team. Would you be fine when a team that has no business as an at large, takes our spot? This year SIU, SDSU have to ask this question.

citdog
October 26th, 2014, 12:07 PM
They would probably leave the NCAA Rep waiting on the phone for an hour and a half and then never even bother to answer.

eaglesdare
October 26th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I feel the conference has slowly improved during BCU's run, they could lose back to back conference games. Eventually they wont be able to just roll the ball out there and win, which is good for the whole conference. The last team in is a total toss up so MVC fans probably shouldnt lose so much sleep over it. A&T has what SCSU had last year, a close loss to Coastal, so maybe there is a shot. But the MEAC getting an at large(I think its been three times since 99)doesnt happen often enough to buy into conspiracy theories based on.....ahem....."political correctness".

UNHWildcat18
October 26th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I think the bigger joke is that the pioneer league gets a damn AQ. Not to be disrespectful to the hard working athletes they have but they have no business in the playoffs. they are FCS by title but their level of play is that of D-2. Such a joke they take up a spot. Oh, yes NO/NO to BCU getting an at large.

RabidRabbit
October 26th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Pioneer being granted an auto bid actually helped get two extra at-larges for the play-offs. Much as the MEAC and SWAC do for basketball, the Pioneer is does for the FCS play-offs.

The better question though, is why play the Pioneer against another low SOS, single AQ qualifier if not to feed to the #1 team in the FCS play-offs? Teams that are AQ's but do not have the 7 D-I wins should not be playing a low SOS conference at-large, while a top 10 rated team has to play the 12th rated team in the 1st round, and that winner plays #2 seeded team, while Pioneer/OVC 3rd goes to #7 seeded team.

The distance criteria is keeping very good at-larges (mainly MVFC and Big Sky teams) from getting the 1st/2nd round match-ups with the likely easier match-ups. Butler/Tn St or NAU/SDSU what were those pre-selection ratings? SDSU vs Tn St, NAU vs Butler would have led to NAU and SDSU wins. We already know that SDSU/Butler would be a 35 pt win, as that was played regular season.

Choosing 2 MEACs (or 3) rather than all 7 D-I win MVFC reflects no SOS rating. BC, if they win out, does have the FBS W, and no losses OOC to FCS. That's a good thing. But punishing any team that has as many top 25 wins as MVFC teams will have who qualify, that's nonsense.

UNHWildcat18
October 26th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Pioneer being granted an auto bid actually helped get two extra at-larges for the play-offs. Much as the MEAC and SWAC do for basketball, the Pioneer is does for the FCS play-offs.

The better question though, is why play the Pioneer against another low SOS, single AQ qualifier if not to feed to the #1 team in the FCS play-offs? Teams that are AQ's but do not have the 7 D-I wins should not be playing a low SOS conference at-large, while a top 10 rated team has to play the 12th rated team in the 1st round, and that winner plays #2 seeded team, while Pioneer/OVC 3rd goes to #7 seeded team.

The distance criteria is keeping very good at-larges (mainly MVFC and Big Sky teams) from getting the 1st/2nd round match-ups with the likely easier match-ups. Butler/Tn St or NAU/SDSU what were those pre-selection ratings? SDSU vs Tn St, NAU vs Butler would have led to NAU and SDSU wins. We already know that SDSU/Butler would be a 35 pt win, as that was played regular season.

Choosing 2 MEACs (or 3) rather than all 7 D-I win MVFC reflects no SOS rating. BC, if they win out, does have the FBS W, and no losses OOC to FCS. That's a good thing. But punishing any team that has as many top 25 wins as MVFC teams will have who qualify, that's nonsense.

I completely agree, the selection committee needs to do a better job of separating the brackets in terms of power team match ups in the first and second round. It will never be perfect but I agree, it should have some changes made.

FargoBison
October 26th, 2014, 06:17 PM

The problem with this is say you have Butler vs SDSU and then the winner plays #1 NDSU...you have effectively given SDSU a bye week which isn't really fair for NDSU.

The main probelm is the Pioneer getting an auto, that conference is a joke, the team that wins the conference is a joke, what basically is a DIII team has no business being in a full scholarship playoff.

The playoff was infinitely better without the Pioneer.

Big Dawg
October 26th, 2014, 06:29 PM

Well when you begin to make the rules, let us know so that we can bring the Heritage Bowl back and make a profit

Bisonator
October 26th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Well when you begin to make the rules, let us know so that we can bring the Heritage Bowl back and make a profit

Go right ahead. Let me know when you start putting a quality team on the field. Apparently the truth hurts, but the fact remains that the MEAC is just flat out not very good compared to the other conferences. Look at the ****ing rankings. If you don't like it tough ****!

WileECoyote06
October 26th, 2014, 06:53 PM
lol. .. really? Is this even a real argument? Between the also-rans of college football in the eyes of FBS fans? Man please, just enjoy the fact that our colleges field football teams. The MEAC champion is in for now. The MEAC will occasionally receive an at-large bid. It is what it is, and all the crying in the world isn't going to change that fact.

I can logically argue for the inclusion of a ten win BCU, or a ten win A&T squad, alongside SCSU. But what's the point? It will fall on deaf ears. It does warm my heart however, to see more MEAC fans speak on AGS, though. Sometimes it feels like me and WestcoastAggie are the only ones here.

ejjones
October 26th, 2014, 07:05 PM
lol. .. really? Is this even a real argument? Between the also-rans of college football in the eyes of FBS fans? Man please, just enjoy the fact that our colleges field football teams. The MEAC champion is in for now. The MEAC will occasionally receive an at-large bid. It is what it is, and all the crying in the world isn't going to change that fact.

I can logically argue for the inclusion of a ten win BCU, or a ten win A&T squad, alongside SCSU. But what's the point? It will fall on deaf ears. It does warm my heart however, to see more MEAC fans speak on AGS, though. Sometimes it feels like me and WestcoastAggie are the only ones here.
I hear ya; it's difficult to comment on this board at times...because of some of the commentary.

Big Dawg
October 26th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Go right ahead. Let me know when you start putting a quality team on the field. Apparently the truth hurts, but the fact remains that the MEAC is just flat out not very good compared to the other conferences. Look at the ****ing rankings. If you don't like it tough ****!

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/030/403/YouMad.jpg

Regardless of whether you like it or not, we have an auto bid...it is what it is

Bisonator
October 26th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Regardless of whether you like it or not, we have an auto bid...it is what it is

No I'm not mad. Doesn't pay to be mad. Simply stating an opinion.

I agree.

Big Dawg
October 26th, 2014, 08:07 PM
No I'm not mad. Doesn't pay to be mad. Simply stating an opinion.

I agree.

Gotcha

Catbooster
October 27th, 2014, 12:25 AM
I remember when college football fans used to complain that the D-IA system was designed to keep the BCS conferences on top and prevent letting the lesser conferences contend for a championship. Apparently a lot of FCS fans now think that is a good system - only take teams from "power" conferences.

Maybe when we had a 16 team playoff system this would have been an issue, but I don't think it is with 24 teams making the playoffs. None of the last few teams in really earned or deserve to be in the playoffs anymore - they're just lucky that they get to play for at least another week.

That team that placed fifth in my conference should be in instead of that team with a good win loss record from a weak conference. xbawlingx Give me a break. xsmhx Maybe neither of them deserves it. Just consider yourself lucky if you made it and enjoy the ride.

WileECoyote06
October 27th, 2014, 05:40 AM
I remember when college football fans used to complain that the D-IA system was designed to keep the BCS conferences on top and prevent letting the lesser conferences contend for a championship. Apparently a lot of FCS fans now think that is a good system - only take teams from "power" conferences.

Maybe when we had a 16 team playoff system this would have been an issue, but I don't think it is with 24 teams making the playoffs. None of the last few teams in really earned or deserve to be in the playoffs anymore - they're just lucky that they get to play for at least another week.

That team that placed fifth in my conference should be in instead of that team with a good win loss record from a weak conference. xbawlingx Give me a break. xsmhx Maybe neither of them deserves it. Just consider yourself lucky if you made it and enjoy the ride.

xthumbsupx

kalm
October 27th, 2014, 07:35 AM

So you're ok with the best teams not being selected? What criteria do you suggest?

MR. CHICKEN
October 27th, 2014, 07:59 AM

19918..........HANG YER NOGGINS......POWER LADS.....CATMAN....HAS EXPOSED YA'S..................xnodx.....BRAWK!

Engineer86
October 27th, 2014, 09:19 AM
If South Carolina State and Bethune-Cookman both win out (a somewhat significant if since they do play a couple not-terrible teams), SC State will have the head to head tie-breaker (even if NC A+T is included too I believe but that might be more complicated).

They would be 10-2 (the same as what we were speculating Sacred Heart to potentially be before their loss today if the only remaining loss had been Bryant). The losses would be SC State and getting dominated by FBS UCF.

The 10 wins would include (Sagarin ranking as of last Saturday out of 252 teams):
D2 Florida Tech
249 Savannah State
239 Florida A&M
233 Delaware State
231 Howard
228 Hampton
227 Norfolk State
223 NC Central
222 Grambling State
130 FIU

The losses are to #50 and #174.
Western Carolina was already ahead of them and teams like Bryant and James Madison are sure to jump ahead based on this defeat. Quite possibly some non-Harvard Ivies too.

So, even though I'm leading you, do you believe a team with 9-sub 222 wins should be invited for the FIU win? And secondly, will the committee extend the invitation?

I'm sure it's tough to say without knowing what other teams are going to be there, but compare them to a 7 win MVFC or maybe SLC team.

See Lehigh 2012 for e answer to this question.

WileECoyote06
October 27th, 2014, 09:49 AM
See Lehigh 2012 for e answer to this question.

Did Lehigh have an FBS win on their resume in 2012? Also Lehigh wasn't co-champion of the Patriot League that year. It makes a difference when it comes to the OVC and the MEAC, just look at the berths over the past four seasons.

WileECoyote06
October 27th, 2014, 10:03 AM
So you're ok with the best teams not being selected? What criteria do you suggest?
The top criteria is being best in your own conference. If that isn't established by either the eye test or metrics, then your shot at the playoffs is in jeopardy. Then teams are measured on their own merits, ie SCSU last year was a co-champion and played well in their losses. Then they are weighed against other criteria like winning streak, d1 wins, top-30 wins, etc.; and finally against each other.

If BCU holds the line and finishes 10-2, they're in. Welcome to the 24 team playoff. This didn't happen under the old format.

Engineer86
October 27th, 2014, 10:51 AM
You may be right, but if you're from the MEAC, Pioneer, Patriot, and NEC it should be that you better win your conference it you don't want to get at-larged by an 8-4…especially from the MVFC.

At this point, I agree with this and I would include the Southern as well.

Catbooster
October 27th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I want the best teams selected. But I won't lose any sleep over it if the 28th best team is selected instead of the 24th best team for the last slot. Isn't that what we're really talking about? The last few teams in vs. the last few teams out?

It's a matter of opinion which is the best remaining team. There's no objective measure that we would all agree on. The committee gets to make that final choice and I don't think it's a catastrophe regardless which team is the last one in.

Ultimately, I consider the playoffs a means to determine the national champs - the best team in the country at our level. I don't feel sorry for a team that's the fourth or fifth best in their conference not getting into the tournament to determine the best in the country. If they are fourth or fifth best in their conference, they've already shown us they aren't the best. That's why I think those last few teams should be happy to get the chance to keep playing, but none of them are entitled to their berth.

citdog
October 27th, 2014, 05:57 PM
At this point, I agree with this and I would include the Southern as well.

The computer rankings have the Southern Conference doing just fine.

citdog
October 27th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Did Lehigh have an FBS win on their resume in 2012? Also Lehigh wasn't co-champion of the Patriot League that year. It makes a difference when it comes to the OVC and the MEAC, just look at the berths over the past four seasons.

Does florida international really count as an fbs win? It's like beating appalachian.