PDA

View Full Version : EWU loses to NAU 28-27

centennial
October 25th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Wow! Didn't see that coming. Wonder what it does to the Big Sky at large hopes...

catamount man
October 25th, 2014, 06:24 PM
WOW!!!

NDSUtk
October 25th, 2014, 06:25 PM
I was watching the game cast on ESPN... Why did Eastern not go for the field goal on 4th down from the 20ish? They were up 5...would have made it an 8 point lead.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 25th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I honestly don't think it's that shocking. Perhaps the most surprising part is the score. If EWU was going down in the Big Sky I would have guessed a shootout. Not a game in the 20's.....

centennial
October 25th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I was watching the game cast on ESPN... Why did Eastern not go for the field goal on 4th down from the 20ish? They were up 5...would have made it an 8 point lead.
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/fd4/a90/181/resized/i-don-t-always-understand-math-meme-generator-i-don-t-always-understand-math-but-when-i-do-potato-052bda.jpg?1328568840.jpg

veinup
October 25th, 2014, 06:27 PM
What a crazy finish. Congrats to the Jacks! I'm guessing this is the first time they've beaten a team ranked so highly (which i mentioned in the thread that i just created about this same topic lolz) xcoolx

bjtheflamesfan
October 25th, 2014, 06:30 PM
My guess is that Cal Poly probably needs both of their next two (tonight vs. Montana and next week vs. Montana State) to stay a major player in the discussion. I think you have 6 teams battling for playoff positioning with the Bobcats off this week. 5 bids certainly is within the realm of possibility I would think, but 3-4 is more likely

Professor Chaos
October 25th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Exactly, big blunder by the EWU coaching staff IMO using my 20/20 hindsight goggles. It's still only a one score game but you force NAU to score and get two (which they tried and didn't get in the end) in less than a minute. I guess it goes to show how little faith the EWU coaching staff has in the defense and with good reason based on the outcome.

EWU can definitely recover once they get Adams back to get a high seed but I still don't think they can be a legit national title contender with a defense so porous. The playoffs are too tough to navigate when you force your offense to be flawless in order to win.

Bronco
October 25th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Coaching and poor pass coverage all game cost EWU teh game

Congrats to NAU
Nice Homecoming win

centennial
October 25th, 2014, 06:32 PM
My guess is that Cal Poly probably needs both of their next two (tonight vs. Montana and next week vs. Montana State) to stay a major player in the discussion. I think you have 6 teams battling for playoff positioning with the Bobcats off this week. 5 bids certainly is within the realm of possibility I would think, but 3-4 is more likely
Not after 3 of the 4 teams lost their 1st game last year. I am thinking 3 at most. Big Sky is down this year.

Ivytalk
October 25th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Well done, NAU!

dbackjon is celebrating tonight...

clenz
October 25th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I honestly don't think it's that shocking. Perhaps the most surprising part is the score. If EWU was going down in the Big Sky I would have guessed a shootout. Not a game in the 20's.....

I disagree with the score thing.

I'm not shocked EWU couldn't find a way to win a game that was "ugly" and involved defenses making stop after stop. I've said all along I don't think EWU is built to play games like that. It's why I don't "like their chances" against teams that play defense and have a good enough offense to score 4 or 5 times.

I was told, repeatedly by EWU fans, that I was a hater and blah blah blah.

This is exactly the type of game I thought they'd lose.

Grizzlies82
October 25th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Wow! Didn't see that coming. Wonder what it does to the Big Sky at large hopes...

Well I saw it coming (see the Big Sky picks thread).
As to playoff implications, it certainly adds No. Arizona into the discussion. Their remaining schedule appears relatively easy. They don't play either Montana or Montana State this year (due to the damn expanded conference format). Montana has to overcome the Cal Poly triple option tonight, and in two weeks E. Washington, both on the road, play two other games and wrap up the season with MT State. So there is plenty of season left for UM or other Big Sky teams to stumble. Yet if the 'favorites' finish strong you could easily have four Big Sky teams in the playoffs.

clenz
October 25th, 2014, 06:58 PM
If the Big Sky gets 4 teams in I quit following the FCS

veinup
October 25th, 2014, 07:03 PM
This game makes me feel a little better about the fact that Montana is going to lose tonight.

Grizalltheway
October 25th, 2014, 07:07 PM
This game makes me feel a little better about the fact that Montana is going to lose tonight.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg158/MDA2008/sandbag.jpg

IBleedYellow
October 25th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Ewus defense finally bites them. However, just kick the damn field goal....

Sent from a TI-83+ Calculator

Grizzlies82
October 25th, 2014, 07:15 PM

Clenz, don't give up just yet. There is still a full month of football ahead.

But if the 'favorites' more or less win out, and it is now no longer the 16 team field, you might start exploring other hobbies.

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2014, 07:23 PM

Don't forget South Carolina St. beating BCU......that all but guarantees that the MEAC is going to get 2 also.....MVFC with 3...NDSU and two others.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 25th, 2014, 07:37 PM

I'm not shocked EWU couldn't find a way to win a game that was "ugly" and involved defenses making stop after stop. I've said all along I don't think EWU is built to play games like that. It's why I don't "like their chances" against teams that play defense and have a good enough offense to score 4 or 5 times.

clenz, I won't call you a hater or anything but you are just wrong. They can play that kind of game. It's not the way they want to play but they can pull a rabbit out of the hat as easily as anyone can.

Take a look at the stats on this game and you'll see they did just fine holding on to the ball, rushing, etc. Their defense fell apart at times (last two plays bit time) but played decent most of the game.

You are wrong on your analysis.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 25th, 2014, 07:39 PM

Doesn't make me feel better but I think you are correct. We won last week but looked like ottal **** and don't think we pull this one out tonight.

SeattleGriz
October 25th, 2014, 08:03 PM
The Eagles back up QB didn't seem to be on the same page as the receivers. That certainly didn't help the Eagles.

Red & Black
October 25th, 2014, 08:09 PM
The Eagles back up QB didn't seem to be on the same page as the receivers. That certainly didn't help the Eagles.

This. The QB has to make plays in this offense. Several head-scratchers in this game but the biggest ones were pulling our #1 RB out of the game on 3rd down and 3 when he's having a career game and then not kicking the FG on 4th down or at least running the ball to run down some more of the clock. Throwing it into the end zone in that situation was just bewildering to me.

YoUDeeMan
October 25th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Well done, NAU!

dbackjon is celebrating tonight...

Of course he is...coming from behind is his thing.

MTfan4life
October 25th, 2014, 09:34 PM
If Villanova didn't have Robertson, or SDSU didn't have Zenner, or SELA without Bennett, or Fordham without Nebrich, would their road loss to someone they shouldn't have lost to discredit the entire conference or even discredit that team? No. Also, conferences don't get at large bids. Teams do. I don't get why this loss means Eastern Washington is overrated or anything.

veinup
October 25th, 2014, 09:50 PM
because everything has to be tied to the never ending conference pissing contest.

HailSzczur
October 25th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Congrats NAU, looks like the Wildcats are moving up this week :)

Screamin_Eagle174
October 25th, 2014, 11:28 PM

Your argument might have legs if it weren't so completely ****ing idiotic. Our offense is being directed by a sophomore QB making his 3rd ever start. VA plays this game, and it's not even close. A team with a great defense and average offense will keep it close against us if our offense is full throttle and probably have a 50/50 chance to win, but to act like this game proves your point only serves to make you look like a pretentious idiot.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 25th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

penguinpower
October 26th, 2014, 06:34 AM

I agree with your assessment Clenz. I think it is spot on. Come playoff time your need to be more well rounded or you just won't make it

kalm
October 26th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I agree with your assessment Clenz. I think it is spot on. Come playoff time your need to be more well rounded or you just won't make it

We are "built" to score a **** ton of points and be a lock down defense…just like every team. Ok, so we're lacking in both categories right now. xlolx

We were one play away from winning exactly this type of game. And this is the same coaching staff that one a whole bunch of games exactly like what Clenz is talking about back in 2010.

But if by" well rounded" for the playoffs, you mean Valley teams with pedestrian offenses, heaven forbid they ever get into shootouts because they are not built to win those type of games. :D

Our defense is still giving up it's yards but at least we've gone from giving up points in the 50's against great offenses to averaging 25 ppg over the last three. Davis isn't much offensively but they did put 28 against the Griz, Southern Utah has a solid passing attack, and NAU is at least kind of decent on O.

The big thing yesterday was going 3-13 on third downs. That's where VA makes is hey and we were at over 50% when he was playing.

Oh well, still quite a bit of football left.