PDA

View Full Version : Mercer at #19 UT Chattanooga

superman7515
October 25th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Mercer doing very well early, up 14-7 after a 74-yards pass to RB Tee Mitchell.

I'm really loving the broadcast though. First the play-by-play guy announces a play made by Tosin Aguebor and the color guy stops him... "Say that again? Is that how you say that? I was gonna call him Cousin Aggie."

Then Chattanooga gets a touchdown and they start blowing the train whistle, color guy stops him again...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's the Chattanooga choo-choo."
"Is that what it is? Well alright!"

kdinva
October 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM
I thought UTC was supposed to win by 30+........14-14, 8:00 in the 2nd...

marenlee
October 25th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Very sparse crowd for a ranked team on it's way to its first playoff appearance in decades. Tennessee doesn't play until tonight...

bjtheflamesfan
October 25th, 2014, 02:03 PM
38-31 utc in the 4th

superman7515
October 25th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Mercer may never catch up to where Georgia Southern and Appalachian State were, but they look like they'll be a solid addition to the SoCon.

superman7515
October 25th, 2014, 02:10 PM
The Bears with a good stop. They get the ball back with 4 minutes left and down one touchdown.

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Mercer may never catch up to where Georgia Southern and Appalachian State were, but they look like they'll be a solid addition to the SoCon.

Glad to have the Bears.

kdinva
October 25th, 2014, 02:17 PM
mercer turns it over on downs at the UTC 20......2:40 to play, 38-31 UTC.

Smitty
October 25th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Gah I was hoping for a miracle.

superman7515
October 25th, 2014, 02:29 PM
And Chattanooga knocks down the Hail Mary and the game is over. First time Chattanooga has started 4-0 in conference, but they certainly didn't look impressive doing it.

Lehigh'98
October 25th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Suprised Mercer put up 31 on Chatty's D. Mercer has been in almost every game this year. Nice job!! Congrats UTC

utcfan
October 25th, 2014, 05:00 PM
May not have been impressive, but Mercer played well and UTC did enough to win. Mocs control their own destiny and today's performance should help them get focused for the big game vs Western Carolina.

paward
October 25th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Mercer is a lot better than most may think. They will contend in a year or two.

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Mercer contended TODAY.

Ghost
October 25th, 2014, 08:33 PM
I may or may not have been saying this since the Furman game they played in week two. Just saying.

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I picked this game as 9 point or less win for the Mocs...I just had a feeling it wasn't going to be anywhere near the 24.5 point Vegas line. Mercer is good enough not to let anyone pull away too far.

It should be noted though...after being down 14-7 at the end of the first, the Mocs did have a 21 point lead in the 3rd quarter (outscoring them 28-7 over the middle 20 minutes of the game)...at that point, they might have gotten a little cocky/complacent (which considering the leads they have blown in the past, should never happen)...and kudos to Mercer because they never let up or gave up...and had the Mocs sweating at the end.

chattownmocs
October 25th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I picked this game as 9 point or less win for the Mocs...I just had a feeling it wasn't going to be anywhere near the 24.5 point Vegas line. Mercer is good enough not to let anyone pull away too far.

It should be noted though...after being down 14-7 at the end of the first, the Mocs did have a 21 point lead in the 3rd quarter (outscoring them 28-7 over the middle 20 minutes of the game)...at that point, they might have gotten a little cocky/complacent (which considering the leads they have blown in the past, should never happen)...and kudos to Mercer because they never let up or gave up...and had the Mocs sweating at the end.

Mercer played played well but chattanooga blew a million coverages. Meaning they weren't even covering people. Mercer has a nice offense but Jacob doesn't put up 457 yards and our offense doesn't get huge play after huge play. Mercer played a closebgame butbin no way shape or form are they anywhere near chattanoogas level man for man. They almost beat us today. They are a long way away from being on our level.

catamount man
October 25th, 2014, 08:51 PM
sighs...hell fire.......

superman7515
October 25th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Mocs control their own destiny...

No, they don't.

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 09:07 PM
No, they don't.

How do they not control their own destiny?

No one is ahead of them in the SoCon standings...they win, they're the champs...that's the definition of controlling their own destiny because they don't have to rely on anyone else to beat a team to help them win the title.

By the same token...WCU also controls their own destiny at this point too.

After next weekend, one team will no longer control their own destiny.

BisonFan02
October 25th, 2014, 09:24 PM
The SoCon could still be a three way mess with Chatty, WCU, and Wofford in the next two weeks.

superman7515
October 25th, 2014, 09:30 PM
How do they not control their own destiny?

Because the very definition of destiny is that no matter what you do, nothing will change the outcome. It is literally impossible for anyone or anything to control their own destiny. If they are "destined" to win the SoCon, they have absolutely no control over it at all, it's destiny. If they are "destined" to finish second, they have absolutely no control over it at all, it's destiny.

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 09:33 PM
The SoCon could still be a three way mess with Chatty, WCU, and Wofford in the next two weeks.

After last year with Chattanooga, Furman, and Samford...I don't even want to think about it.

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Because the very definition of destiny is that no matter what you do, nothing will change the outcome. It is literally impossible for anyone or anything to control their own destiny. If they are "destined" to win the SoCon, they have absolutely no control over it at all, it's destiny. If they are "destined" to finish second, they have absolutely no control over it at all, it's destiny.

This is a sports message board, not a philosophy class...what we are discussing here is the clichéd sport terminology of controlling you own destiny. Bobby Heenan would know the difference.

FUBeAR
October 26th, 2014, 12:45 AM
They are a long way away from being on our level.

STFU

chattanoogamocs
October 26th, 2014, 12:58 AM

STFU

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FUBeAR again.

OrangeJuice
October 26th, 2014, 04:54 AM

STFU

Now that is funny . . . mostly because it is 100% accurate.

For those that didn't see the game, that's Mercer QB John Russ uncharacterisitcally missing a wide open #3 JT Palmer in the end zone to tie the ball game with a few minutes left in the game. Despite missing this throw and turning the ball over on possession at the UTC 20, Mercer still had another chance to win the game.

Either Mercer is way better than most thought, or UTC is not very good. Or likely, a little bit of both.

OrangeJuice
October 26th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Mercer played played well but chattanooga blew a million coverages. Meaning they weren't even covering people. Mercer has a nice offense but Jacob doesn't put up 457 yards and our offense doesn't get huge play after huge play. Mercer played a closebgame butbin no way shape or form are they anywhere near chattanoogas level man for man. They almost beat us today. They are a long way away from being on our level.

It was really nice of UTC to not cover the Mercer receivers yesterday because it helped us gain a lot of yards and score lots of points. Question: Was the decision to not cover people a coaching decision or players decision by the Mocs?

PaladinFan
October 26th, 2014, 06:57 AM
I think we've all pretty well seen that Mercer is a lot further along than many expected. They've had a lot of guys in the system three years now, added some transfers at key positions, and have good coaching.

They are losing, but most of us expected them to not be competitive. They are more than competitive.

Granted, I also think the SoCon is very down. I'm not sure there's a team in this league that would stay on the field with some of the great SoCon teams of yesteryear.

catamount man
October 26th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I think we've all pretty well seen that Mercer is a lot further along than many expected. They've had a lot of guys in the system three years now, added some transfers at key positions, and have good coaching.

They are losing, but most of us expected them to not be competitive. They are more than competitive.

Granted, I also think the SoCon is very down. I'm not sure there's a team in this league that would stay on the field with some of the great SoCon teams of yesteryear.

WCU is not interested about "staying on the field" with teams from the past. Our past, unfortunately, speaks for itself. Good luck up at VMI. GO CATS!

Toby
October 26th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Mercer doing very well early, up 14-7 after a 74-yards pass to RB Tee Mitchell.

I'm really loving the broadcast though. First the play-by-play guy announces a play made by Tosin Aguebor and the color guy stops him... "Say that again? Is that how you say that? I was gonna call him Cousin Aggie."

Then Chattanooga gets a touchdown and they start blowing the train whistle, color guy stops him again...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's the Chattanooga choo-choo."
"Is that what it is? Well alright!"

Even less impressive when you know that All Conference Tosin Aguebor is out for the season with an injury and did not play on Sat.

OrangeJuice
October 26th, 2014, 07:56 AM

I realize SoCon is way down. And Mercer isn't looking for validation from this board. We are responding specifically to snide remarks made before and after the UTC game by one person in particular. Just some comments:

"Again. Just awful. You (Mercer) haven't beaten ANYONE. NOBODY."
"Furman abd Mercer are both garbage"
"you (Mercer) guys aren't good"
"Chattanoogas D will dominate every offense we face the rest of the way."
"I hope they (Mercer) are prepared for a first half blowout"

Then when it's time to eat some crow we get, "They (Mercer) are a long way away from being on our level". Well a long way = about a 3 feet which is how much Russ's ball was overthrown to tie the score in the final minutes. That must be embarrassing for some Mocs fans.

We aren't where we want to be. We have 1 conference win. Hopefully that changes next week.

longtimemocfan
October 26th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Now that is funny . . . mostly because it is 100% accurate.

For those that didn't see the game, that's Mercer QB John Russ uncharacterisitcally missing a wide open #3 JT Palmer in the end zone to tie the ball game with a few minutes left in the game. Despite missing this throw and turning the ball over on possession at the UTC 20, Mercer still had another chance to win the game.

Either Mercer is way better than most thought, or UTC is not very good. Or likely, a little bit of both.

Wide open ? What game were you watching ? The ball was not perfectly thrown no,but the DB was right with him when the ball was in the air.

longtimemocfan
October 26th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Bottom line. Mercer is a good addition to SoCon.Your fans travel very well. Bobby Lamb is a good coach.Not sure what happened to him at Furman. Look forward to the return game in Macon next year.

AshevilleApp2
October 26th, 2014, 09:42 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FUBeAR again.

I got him for you.

FUBeAR
October 26th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Wide open ? What game were you watching ? The ball was not perfectly thrown no,but the DB was right with him when the ball was in the air.

There were 2 throws to MU's #3 in that last series in the same corner of the endzone. The posted pic is the 1st play (2nd down) - MU's #3 is WIDE OPEN - it's right there in the pic, longtimemocfan, UTC's #3 is 3 yards from him, beaten badly on the play. As someone else mentioned, I too thought the ball was 3 feet too high when I saw it live...until I watched a replay. It was no more than a few inches out of his reach. On the 2nd throw - 4th down, the WR was covered well and the ball was thrown in the only tiny window where it had a chance to be caught. I couldn't tell if the DB may have gotten a fingernail on it and tipped it out of reach or MU's WR just couldn't bring it in (which would have been an(other) amazing catch by him...but, bottom line, neither were complete...and THAT/THOSE was/were the 'distance(s)' between MU and UTC yesterday. If either one of those balls is caught, regulation, most likely, ends 38-38...and no one can say how the 'free football' in OT would have turned out.

UCMoc
October 26th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I realize SoCon is way down. And Mercer isn't looking for validation from this board. We are responding specifically to snide remarks made before and after the UTC game by one person in particular. Just some comments:

Then when it's time to eat some crow we get, "They (Mercer) are a long way away from being on our level". Well a long way = about a 3 feet which is how much Russ's ball was overthrown to tie the score in the final minutes. That must be embarrassing for some Mocs fans.

We aren't where we want to be. We have 1 conference win. Hopefully that changes next week.

I think the problem here is that you are irrationally expecting a rational response from the village idiot. Just leave the poor fella alone. Didn't you see what Alabama did to his Vols last night? He won't be able to see through the tears to make a proper BLT for a week.

The rest of us are giving you credit. By all accounts the Mercer team is better than expected and they made the Chattanooga defense look worse than they have all year. I am personally glad that you guys don't suck because it's good for the SoCon.

chattanoogamocs
October 26th, 2014, 12:32 PM

First off...everyone on here knows that guy is an absolute moron...who cares what he says.

But secondly...where have you all been this week (or actually, the last couple of weeks)? It's hard to have much respect to a fan base that only comes here on after the game to talk about their team...or expect others to eat crow (FuBear excluded...he's here all week).

If you are going to be a fan...don't just show up on Sunday sticking your chest out.

chattanoogamocs
October 26th, 2014, 12:42 PM
And btw...pretty much every UTC fan but Chattown has been pretty respectful of what Mercer has accomplished. Sorry if we didn't genuflect to your liking.

Ghost
October 26th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Chattanoogamocs is right. I haven't seen any disrespect from any of the Chatty fans towards mercer with the exception of #UTKillingmesmalls

Toby
October 26th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Chattanoogamocs is right. I haven't seen any disrespect from any of the Chatty fans towards mercer with the exception of #UTKillingmesmalls

Totally agree. The Mocs were great hosts this weekend. Even when we had to move over to the shady side of the stadium with our bright orange, we were treated nicely. I think it is even fun to laugh at the town drunk. No need to take him seriously.

Even though we lost to WCU by a bigger margin, I think UTC wins next week. Mercer played much better this week than last week against WCU. Just look at the TO and penalty stats.

The Bears may have earned some respect by being competitive so far in the SoCon, but that doesn't help too much and it still leaves a bitter taste of defeat. They may be beating others expectations (and even mine) but they aren't beating their own expectations.

They gotta strap it on again this week against a good Citadel team. If they play like the did on Sat., I think they can get a W but I'm sure that Citadel will be favored.

Should be a good Homecoming crowd.

Eagle22
October 26th, 2014, 04:14 PM

Mercer is playing about how I thought they would. Enough to scare most of the teams in the league, but still a few players away from becoming a perennial favorite in the league. A few OL here and there for some depth, Tosin returning and they are right there.

The SoCon is completely down this year. The games I've watched have been pretty putrid, honestly. I watched the Chattanooga-Mercer game recording, and saw WCU-Mercer live. If WCU and 'Nooga are the best in the league, and it appears they are .... then I would expect an early exit for whichever team makes the playoffs. Neither team is an offensive dynamo, and the great SoCon teams of yesteryear would pound both into submission.

longtimemocfan
October 26th, 2014, 04:21 PM
There were 2 throws to MU's #3 in that last series in the same corner of the endzone. The posted pic is the 1st play (2nd down) - MU's #3 is WIDE OPEN - it's right there in the pic, longtimemocfan, UTC's #3 is 3 yards from him, beaten badly on the play. As someone else mentioned, I too thought the ball was 3 feet too high when I saw it live...until I watched a replay. It was no more than a few inches out of his reach. On the 2nd throw - 4th down, the WR was covered well and the ball was thrown in the only tiny window where it had a chance to be caught. I couldn't tell if the DB may have gotten a fingernail on it and tipped it out of reach or MU's WR just couldn't bring it in (which would have been an(other) amazing catch by him...but, bottom line, neither were complete...and THAT/THOSE was/were the 'distance(s)' between MU and UTC yesterday. If either one of those balls is caught, regulation, most likely, ends 38-38...and no one can say how the 'free football' in OT would have turned out.

The 2nd throw was the one I was making reference to. So even if he makes the throw doesn't mean you make it to overtime. There was still plenty of time on the clock and your defense wasn't exactly playing lights out 542 yards given up. Your team played a heck of game and have my respect,but enough of what should've, could've, would've.

longtimemocfan
October 26th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Totally agree. The Mocs were great hosts this weekend. Even when we had to move over to the shady side of the stadium with our bright orange, we were treated nicely. I think it is even fun to laugh at the town drunk. No need to take him seriously.

Even though we lost to WCU by a bigger margin, I think UTC wins next week. Mercer played much better this week than last week against WCU. Just look at the TO and penalty stats.

The Bears may have earned some respect by being competitive so far in the SoCon, but that doesn't help too much and it still leaves a bitter taste of defeat. They may be beating others expectations (and even mine) but they aren't beating their own expectations.

They gotta strap it on again this week against a good Citadel team. If they play like the did on Sat., I think they can get a W but I'm sure that Citadel will be favored.

Should be a good Homecoming crowd.

I would be very proud of the way your team has progressed so far. It's always good to look across the stands and see good support of the visiting team. Plus it adds to the attendance totalsxsmiley_wix

chattanoogamocs
October 26th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Mercer is playing about how I thought they would. Enough to scare most of the teams in the league, but still a few players away from becoming a perennial favorite in the league. A few OL here and there for some depth, Tosin returning and they are right there.

The SoCon is completely down this year. The games I've watched have been pretty putrid, honestly. I watched the Chattanooga-Mercer game recording, and saw WCU-Mercer live. If WCU and 'Nooga are the best in the league, and it appears they are .... then I would expect an early exit for whichever team makes the playoffs. Neither team is an offensive dynamo, and the great SoCon teams of yesteryear would pound both into submission.

It's all right Paul, we know the SoCon isn't as good as it was in the past, though that putrid you keep smelling, I am pretty sure it is coming from the Sun Belt.

Eagle22
October 26th, 2014, 05:09 PM
It's all right Paul, we know the SoCon isn't as good as it was in the past, though that putrid you keep smelling, I am pretty sure it is coming from the Sun Belt.

No need to be so touchy David it was simply an observation. Just calling a spade a spade, and I wasn't talking about the smell but what's right there in plain view. As you mentioned, there has been some putrid play in the Sun Belt as well, so I guess I'm just as qualified to weigh in as anyone else in that regard.

Frankly, I was expecting Chattanooga and Furman to clearly be head and shoulders above the rest in the league this year, but at least with Furman and their injuries it makes sense that they've been down. I also thought the Citadel would be better than they appear to be, maybe they can beat Mercer on Saturday.

After seeing Chattanooga being competitive vs. a MAC team, I guess I was expecting more. Maybe your Mocs can get to the playoffs again and make some noise. Good luck.

FUBeAR
October 26th, 2014, 07:06 PM
The 2nd throw was the one I was making reference to. So even if he makes the throw doesn't mean you make it to overtime. There was still plenty of time on the clock and your defense wasn't exactly playing lights out 542 yards given up. Your team played a heck of game and have my respect,but enough of what should've, could've, would've.

You saw this part, "bottom line, neither were complete...and THAT/THOSE was/were the 'distance(s)' between MU and UTC yesterday," right?

The rest of my post is 'might've' (as is yours) and was qualified by 'most likely.' So save the clichés for your kids & before you call somebody out with "What game were you watching?," maybe you SHOULD know, yourself, what happened in that game a whole 2 plays before the play you wrongly thought was being discussed or you COULD'VE or SHOULD'VE looked at the posted picture.

OrangeJuice
October 26th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I think the problem here is that you are irrationally expecting a rational response from the village idiot. Just leave the poor fella alone. Didn't you see what Alabama did to his Vols last night? He won't be able to see through the tears to make a proper BLT for a week.

The rest of us are giving you credit. By all accounts the Mercer team is better than expected and they made the Chattanooga defense look worse than they have all year. I am personally glad that you guys don't suck because it's good for the SoCon.

This is a good point about the village idiot. I was trying to very careful not a slam UTC and only slam that individual. But if the board is going to allow a flame, then be prepared for someone else to throw some water on it.

And to chattanoogamocs (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?3-chattanoogamocs), I was traveling all week and then have an early Saturday for charity fundraiser.

Looking forward to WCU vs UTC next Saturday. Hoping we can get conference win #2 and then listen to how bad the calls were all week from ElCid.

ElCid
October 26th, 2014, 08:48 PM
This is a good point about the village idiot. I was trying to very careful not a slam UTC and only slam that individual. But if the board is going to allow a flame, then be prepared for someone else to throw some water on it.

And to chattanoogamocs (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?3-chattanoogamocs), I was traveling all week and then have an early Saturday for charity fundraiser.

Looking forward to WCU vs UTC next Saturday. Hoping we can get conference win #2 and then listen to how bad the calls were all week from ElCid.

I certainly hope that you were speaking in general about ElCid fans because I personally have rarely voiced my opinion on the officiating. I can recall maybe one time mentioning something about the most egregious performance by the Refs. But for the record, if you have not figured it out yet, our refs leave something to be desired. Like most teams we have been on the short end here and there, but we have also gotten a call here and there. But we definitely deserve better as a conference.

longtimemocfan
October 26th, 2014, 09:12 PM
You saw this part, "bottom line, neither were complete...and THAT/THOSE was/were the 'distance(s)' between MU and UTC yesterday," right?

The rest of my post is 'might've' (as is yours) and was qualified by 'most likely.' So save the clichés for your kids & before you call somebody out with "What game were you watching?," maybe you SHOULD know, yourself, what happened in that game a whole 2 plays before the play you wrongly thought was being discussed or you COULD'VE or SHOULD'VE looked at the posted picture.

Yes I know what happened in the game, I think we were BOTH there in attendance. I probably missed the pics the first go round due to the fact they were so small. Fact of the matter the game is over and the final score isn't going to change because of those plays.

FUBeAR
October 26th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Fact of the matter the game is over and the final score isn't going to change because of those plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHuE5pDlEs

No further comment...

NOTE: (apologies for Mr. Winnfield's/Jackson's language...but it's a great scene)

longtimemocfan
October 26th, 2014, 10:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHuE5pDlEs

No further comment...

NOTE: (apologies for Mr. Winnfield's/Jackson's language...but it's a great scene)

xthumbsupx

OrangeJuice
October 27th, 2014, 04:57 AM
I certainly hope that you were speaking in general about ElCid fans because I personally have rarely voiced my opinion on the officiating. I can recall maybe one time mentioning something about the most egregious performance by the Refs. But for the record, if you have not figured it out yet, our refs leave something to be desired. Like most teams we have been on the short end here and there, but we have also gotten a call here and there. But we definitely deserve better as a conference.

ElCid = The Citadel fans in general. Sorry, haven't gotten everyone's names down yet. I'll be sure to distinguish differently in the future.

chattownmocs
October 27th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Do these teams appear to be on the same level.

Socon play:

Chattanooga 4-0 Mercer 1-4

PPG Chattanooga 41.25 Mercer 23.4

Points allowed Chattanooga 19 Mercer 28.6

Differential Chattanooga +22.25 Mercer -5.2

YPG Chattanooga 479.5 Mercer 366.6

Yards Allowed Chattanooga 305.5 Mercer 418.6

Differential Chattanooga +174 Mercer -52

It looks like the Mocs are 3 1/2 games, 27 points, and 226 yards better in the grand scheme of things. Good game, you still arent at our level.

FUBeAR
October 27th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Do these teams appear to be on the same level.

Yes, almost - STFU

chattownmocs
October 27th, 2014, 07:23 AM

STFU

You lost the game. You lost the game. Your team lost.

STFU

Smitty
October 27th, 2014, 07:29 AM

Yes, almost - STFU

I hate to say it, even if he caught the ball it is still a tie game. The way Mercer's defense was playing and the 1:50 left in the game, Chat probably could have gotten within FG range and just win.

BearDownMU
October 27th, 2014, 09:14 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone is talking about Steven T. Foster University. They don't even have football.

FUBeAR
October 27th, 2014, 09:37 AM

STFU

AGOTO, STFU

BisonFan02
October 27th, 2014, 10:31 AM

STFU

This is cute....kinda like when the Mocs lose, you flat out disappear for awhile versus just "STFU".

tenNesseeCat
October 27th, 2014, 10:44 AM
chattanooga blew a million coverages. Meaning they weren't even covering people.

Thanks to UTC for giving The Cats some good film to review!

citdog
October 27th, 2014, 10:48 AM
No need to be so touchy David it was simply an observation. Just calling a spade a spade, and I wasn't talking about the smell but what's right there in plain view. As you mentioned, there has been some putrid play in the Sun Belt as well, so I guess I'm just as qualified to weigh in as anyone else in that regard.

Frankly, I was expecting Chattanooga and Furman to clearly be head and shoulders above the rest in the league this year, but at least with Furman and their injuries it makes sense that they've been down. I also thought the Citadel would be better than they appear to be, maybe they can beat Mercer on Saturday.

After seeing Chattanooga being competitive vs. a MAC team, I guess I was expecting more. Maybe your Mocs can get to the playoffs again and make some noise. Good luck.

Which way is the sun belch board? You have some nerve speaking on horrible conferences. Yours is rated lower than FCS leagues. So GLAD you are GONE.

tenNesseeCat
October 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM

Did you expect the SoCon to lose two programs, pick up some start up programs, and improve? I think the SoCon will be just fine with teams that WANT to be there. Take a look at the youth in the league right now. Give everyone a couple more years, and lets see where it stands.

Some of the great SoCon teams of yesteryear would/did pound a lot of teams, but WCU and UTC this year, would still beat a lot of teams from yesteryear. If you wanna play hypothetical football. No one said they were all time great SoCon teams, but they are turning out to be pretty good!

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Did you expect the SoCon to lose two programs, pick up some start up programs, and improve? I think the SoCon will be just fine with teams that WANT to be there. Take a look at the youth in the league right now. Give everyone a couple more years, and lets see where it stands.

Some of the great SoCon teams of yesteryear would/did pound a lot of teams, but WCU and UTC this year, would still beat a lot of teams from yesteryear. If you wanna play hypothetical football. No one said they were all time great SoCon teams, but they are turning out to be pretty good!

I think you also have to take the environment into account. Remember, the SoCon has to compete with probably 15 or so more programs in the South for Recruits that either did not exist or did not play D1 15-20 years ago.

It seems reasonable to suggest that we may never again see a great SoCon team. There's just too much daggum competition for recruits.

tenNesseeCat
October 27th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I think you also have to take the environment into account. Remember, the SoCon has to compete with probably 15 or so more programs in the South for Recruits that either did not exist or did not play D1 15-20 years ago.

It seems reasonable to suggest that we may never again see a great SoCon team. There's just too much daggum competition for recruits.

Good point, very true!

BearDownMU
October 27th, 2014, 12:08 PM

Respectfully, I don't think I agree with this. There are definitely more teams competing for recruits, but I think the development of high school athletes has way outpaced the amount of schools with programs, meaning there are many more qualified recruits. Had this conversation with FUBeAR the other day about how sophisticated high school play books have become, as well as the tools and training processes from when we played. My high school now has better technology and facilities than some colleges when I was coming through. Just the rise of Hudl as a way to break down game film vastly increases the ability of high school programs to assess, analyze, and coach their players.

So, I understand the sentiment, but I think there are way more high school players that are college ready, thus a much bigger recruit pool.

OL FU
October 27th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Respectfully, I don't think I agree with this. There are definitely more teams competing for recruits, but I think the development of high school athletes has way outpaced the amount of schools with programs, meaning there are many more qualified recruits. Had this conversation with FUBeAR the other day about how sophisticated high school play books have become, as well as the tools and training processes from when we played. My high school now has better technology and facilities than some colleges when I was coming through. Just the rise of Hudl as a way to break down game film vastly increases the ability of high school programs to assess, analyze, and coach their players.

So, I understand the sentiment, but I think there are way more high school players that are college ready, thus a much bigger recruit pool.

In the last ten years or so, you add Mercer, Georgia State (maybe more from Ga don't know), CCU, Charleston Southern, PC (move up), Charlotte. That's six schools added to GSouthernU, Furman, Wofford, Citadel, SC State, ASU, WCU, Elon (8 schools). Population and technology have not increased 75%

I am sure I left somebody out.

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2014, 02:42 PM
In the last ten years or so, you add Mercer, Georgia State (maybe more from Ga don't know), CCU, Charleston Southern, PC (move up), Charlotte. That's six schools added to GSouthernU, Furman, Wofford, Citadel, SC State, ASU, WCU, Elon (8 schools). Population and technology have not increased 75%

I am sure I left somebody out.

Go back a little further and you have Wofford and Elon transitioning to D1 football. Old Dominion also started a program, as did South Alabama Kennesaw State, and ETSU (again).

From Furman's perspective, Furman used to just about have the market cornered on 1AA football players looking for a school with a combination of strong academics and strong football. Heck, we were the only private school for decades that had even appeared in a national title game, much less won one. You could make an argument that there are numerous such schools now.