PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-20

JALMOND
October 23rd, 2014, 01:39 AM
I know I'm a few days late, but here we are getting close to the end of October and we should be seeing some separation in the conference race. However, things may be clearer than at the beginning, but there are still some spots that are muddled. Still some football left to be played and some marquee matchups still out there. Here are this week's power rankings (last week's in parenthesis. All are my opinion only, as usual. Have at it.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---The Eagles did get the win at home last weekend against Northern Colorado but it might have been a bit closer than the Eagles wanted it. They do seem to be missing their quarterback as they hit the road this weekend at Northern Arizona.

2. Montana State (2)---The Bobcats also let Weber State stick around last weekend at their home as well, but still got the win. They get this weekend off to try to jumpstart that powerful and potent offense of theirs.

3. Montana (3)---The Grizzlies also let UC-Davis stick around a bit last weekend at home, at least for the first half. After halftime, they turned on the jets and cruised. They head out on the road and play at Cal Poly this weekend.

4. Cal Poly (4)---The Mustangs got a strong road win last weekend at Sacramento State. That should get them feeling good about themselves as they stay home this weekend, welcoming Montana to their home turf.

5. Idaho State (5)---The Bengals kept moving on last weekend, getting a home win against Southern Utah. They are now the favorites in their games now as they head on the road this weekend to play at Northern Colorado.

6. Northern Arizona (6)---The Lumberjacks held on for a close win last weekend at Portland State, proving that they can win on the road in conference. They stay at home this weekend, bringing in Eastern Washington.

7. Sacramento State (7)---A fine chance at a statement win at home for the Hornets went by the wayside last weekend, losing to Cal Poly. They get a bye weekend this weekend to prepare for the stretch run.

8. Southern Utah (8)---The Thunderbirds missed out on a chance to play spoiler last weekend, falling short at Idaho State. They get to be the favorite this weekend as they host North Dakota.

9. Northern Colorado (10)---They may not be in for moral victories, but the Bears more than held their own last weekend at mighty Eastern Washington. They stay at home this weekend, welcoming Idaho State to town.

10. North Dakota (9)---The No-Names drew the short straw last weekend, being the only conference team not to play. They get things going again this weekend, on the road at Southern Utah.

11. Portland State (11)---Once again, the Vikings rallied to take the lead, only to watch Northern Arizona this time steal the victory at home. Things have to get better some day, but this weekend they move on to play Weber State.

12. Weber State (12)---That elusive first win is proving more elusive than ever for the Wildcats, but they did stay close to Montana State on the road last weekend. This weekend, they welcome reeling Portland State for another try at winning.

13. UC-Davis (13)---The Aggies gave Montana a game on the road for a half, similar to the Eastern Washington game, before succumbing in the second half. They get this weekend off to regroup and refocus.

RECAP: 1-2 together, 3 on an island, 4-5 branching ahead of 6-8, 9-13 still bringing up the rear.

tomq04
October 23rd, 2014, 08:22 AM
I think temporarily MSU Should be #1, and I suspect idaho state will finish at #3

darell1976
October 23rd, 2014, 08:51 AM
I still don't get how SUU is 8th with 1 win. UND drops down because of a bye? 8-9 should be UND, UNC.

Grizalltheway
October 23rd, 2014, 09:21 AM
I think temporarily MSU Should be #1, and I suspect idaho state will finish at #3

Struggling against the #12 team at home means they should be #1?

GetEmGriz
October 23rd, 2014, 09:37 AM
I really hate that this conference has 13 teams... it's all speculative really to determine who is the best team at the end of the season when every team doesn't play each other. I miss the days of the 9-team round robin format.

wapiti
October 23rd, 2014, 03:25 PM
Who still has a chance at 7 Div 1 Wins?

1. Eastern Washington: Must win 1 of 4.

2. Montana State: Must win 2 of 4.

3. Montana: Must win 3 of 5.

4. Cal Poly: Must win 3 of 5.

5. Idaho State: Must win 5 of 5.

6. Northern Arizona: Must win 4 of 5.

7. Sacramento State: Must win 4 of 4.

8. Southern Utah: Out

9. Northern Colorado: Out

10. North Dakota: Must win 4 of 5

11. Portland State: Out

12. Weber State: Out.

13. UC-Davis: Out

Silenoz
October 23rd, 2014, 03:48 PM
I really hate that this conference has 13 teams... it's all speculative really to determine who is the best team at the end of the season when every team doesn't play each other. I miss the days of the 9-team round robin format.
That's why I ignore conference championships and records. Let the best teams make noise (or whimpers) in the playoffs

GetEmGriz
October 23rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Who still has a chance at 7 Div 1 Wins?

1. Eastern Washington: Must win 1 of 4.

2. Montana State: Must win 2 of 4.

3. Montana: Must win 3 of 5.

4. Cal Poly: Must win 3 of 5.

5. Idaho State: Must win 5 of 5.

6. Northern Arizona: Must win 4 of 5.

7. Sacramento State: Must win 4 of 4.

8. Southern Utah: Out

9. Northern Colorado: Out

10. North Dakota: Must win 4 of 5

11. Portland State: Out

12. Weber State: Out.

13. UC-Davis: Out

Doesn't the NCAA now allow FCS teams to count DII wins towards the DI 7-win requirement? If so, that would mean that EWU is already there, MSU has to win 1 of 4, and UM 2 of 5.

Silenoz
October 23rd, 2014, 04:19 PM
Yes. Or at least, they aren't completely ignored anymore.

Red & Black
October 23rd, 2014, 04:51 PM
Doesn't the NCAA now allow FCS teams to count DII wins towards the DI 7-win requirement? If so, that would mean that EWU is already there, MSU has to win 1 of 4, and UM 2 of 5.

It's more like, they don't completely throw out a DII game now...they just aren't weighted as heavily as a DI win. Previously, if you had an 9-3 regular season record with a win over a DII, they looked at your record as being 8-3. That kinda thing...

MTfan4life
October 23rd, 2014, 07:55 PM
I still don't get how SUU is 8th with 1 win. UND drops down because of a bye? 8-9 should be UND, UNC.

This is power rankings, not record rankings. While I don't disagree that UND should be higher, Southern Utah has faced a nasty schedule. It's hard to argue that any other team below them would have a better record playing the same schedule SUU has faced.

darell1976
October 23rd, 2014, 07:58 PM
This is power rankings, not record rankings. While I don't disagree that UND should be higher, Southern Utah has faced a nasty schedule. It's hard to argue that any other team below them would have a better record playing the same schedule SUU has faced.

SUU is ranked 8th, loses and remains 8th. UND was 9th, has a bye and drops to 10th. Damn that Bye team is one tough team.

MTfan4life
October 23rd, 2014, 08:03 PM

There is no 7 D1 win requirement anymore. They have a points system for their SRS rating and that uses FBS, FCS, and DII games. Eastern Washington played Montana Western and they are NAIA, so they wouldn't count for anything regardless.

MTfan4life
October 23rd, 2014, 08:11 PM
SUU is ranked 8th, loses and remains 8th. UND was 9th, has a bye and drops to 10th. Damn that Bye team is one tough team.

It's possible to be passed in any given ranking system when you don't play. Northern Colorado played within double digits of a team who is ranked in the top 5 in the country. Jalmond thought that was worthy enough to move them up in the rankings.

JALMOND
October 23rd, 2014, 08:40 PM

The margin between N Dakota and N Colorado is pretty thin. Your guys played MSU close on the road, Bears just played EWU close on the road. Your win came at home against Portland State, they have a win at home against Northern Arizona. Beware, it could flip-flop again next week.xlolx

Bisonwinagn
October 23rd, 2014, 09:47 PM
There is no 7 D1 win requirement anymore. They have a points system for their SRS rating and that uses FBS, FCS, and DII games. Eastern Washington played Montana Western and they are NAIA, so they wouldn't count for anything regardless.

You forgot to include the additional points for playing anyone in the east.

darell1976
October 23rd, 2014, 10:43 PM
The margin between N Dakota and N Colorado is pretty thin. Your guys played MSU close on the road, Bears just played EWU close on the road. Your win came at home against Portland State, they have a win at home against Northern Arizona. Beware, it could flip-flop again next week.xlolx

But c'mon we are better than 10th we are a solid 9.:D

centennial
October 23rd, 2014, 10:47 PM
But c'mon we are better than 10th we are a solid 9.:D
If you win more than 6 I am going to be surprised. Good turn around regardless.

darell1976
October 23rd, 2014, 10:49 PM
If you win more than 6 I am going to be surprised. Good turn around regardless.

UND still has to play 1 win SUU, 2 win UNC, and winless Weber State...with our offense sputtering 6 may be a tall order.

robsnotes4u
October 24th, 2014, 07:56 AM
UND still has to play 1 win SUU, 2 win UNC, and winless Weber State...with our offense sputtering 6 may be a tall order.
Bartels or Molberg this week?

F'N Hawks
October 24th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Bartels or Molberg this week?

Mollberg. UND better be able to run the ball this week or they may never be able to all year.

darell1976
October 24th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Mollberg. UND better be able to run the ball this week or they may never be able to all year.

Plus it's supposed to be windy so running the ball will be a must.

tomq04
October 26th, 2014, 08:22 AM
1. Montana state
2. Idaho State
3. Ewu
4. Montana
imo to finish this week. When va returns we can reassess.

robsnotes4u
October 26th, 2014, 09:19 AM
1. Montana state
2. Idaho State
3. Ewu
4. Cal Poly
imo to finish this week. When va we can reassess.

FIFY

MTfan4life
October 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM
1. Montana state
2. Idaho State
3. Ewu
4. Montana
imo to finish this week. When va we can reassess.

May I ask why couldn't Idaho State be #1? Their razor thin loss to EWU was in Cheney, while MSU's was in Bozeman. ISU beat Sac State by 20, while MSU needed a last second touchdown to beat the Hornets. Idaho State's other conference wins have been by 25+.

dudeitsaid
October 26th, 2014, 02:27 PM
May I ask why couldn't Idaho State be #1? Their razor thin loss to EWU was in Cheney, while MSU's was in Bozeman. ISU beat Sac State by 20, while MSU needed a last second touchdown to beat the Hornets. Idaho State's other conference wins have been by 25+.
Those are really good points.
I think MSU is one of those teams with a target on their backs, a perennial top team, especially over the last five years. But ISU...what credibility did they have? Who viewed them as a threat? I think they are gaining respect now, but for the first half of the season, I don't think they were taken very seriously. And as much as we would like to not think it's so, those things have some level of psychological impact on some players.

That being said, I think maybe they should be tied, lol!

tomq04
October 26th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I can handle
1t. Mt St
1t. Idaho St
3. Ewu
4. Cal Poly