penguinpower
October 22nd, 2014, 06:06 PM
And....

MTfan4life
October 22nd, 2014, 06:09 PM
Hint, Princeton is in the top half.

frozennorth
October 22nd, 2014, 06:10 PM
Montana and the mighty band of western commuter colleges.

caribbeanhen
October 22nd, 2014, 06:18 PM
overrated, MEAC
Under - NEC

underdawg
October 22nd, 2014, 06:22 PM
The FCS Play-Off Committee thinks it's the MVFC

Southern Bison
October 22nd, 2014, 07:18 PM
When Eww can win with a non-existent defense and still lead the conference, it shows the Big Fluffy is overrated once again.

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 07:21 PM
When Eww can win with a non-existent defense and still lead the conference, it shows the Big Fluffy is overrated once again.

Yet we have trucked our last 2 MVFC opponents in the playoffs...hmm. It's all relative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Bison
October 22nd, 2014, 07:26 PM
So by that ridiculous logic, you admit you're weaker than the CAA and Southland?

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 07:32 PM
So by that ridiculous logic, you admit you're weaker than the CAA and Southland?

No, but the #2 team from a supposedly vastly superior conference shouldn't be getting blown out against a team from a conference that supposedly doesn't play any defense.

BTW, we've competed very well against the CAA in each game we've played them, and currently hold a 2-1 record against them in the playoffs.

We've historically done pretty well against the Southland, except SHSU apparently.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2014, 07:34 PM

This made me crack a smile.

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2014, 07:34 PM
xpopcornx

Grizalltheway
October 22nd, 2014, 07:38 PM

Well, can anyone tell the class the last time a team not named NDSU made the semifinals?

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 08:02 PM
Well, can anyone tell the class the last time a team not named NDSU made the semifinals?

Clearly not a fair point, since every MVFC team has either had to A) Play NDSU, or B) Play a playoff game on the road. ;)

centennial
October 22nd, 2014, 08:11 PM
This year Big Sky is by far the most overrated. They don't deserve more than 2 at larges, if that. After the top 3, the rest of the conference is poor.

kalm
October 22nd, 2014, 08:14 PM
This year Big Sky is by far the most overrated. They don't deserve more than 2 at larges, if that. After the top 3, the rest of the conference is poor.

So.........we're just like the MVFC then.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2014, 08:16 PM
Clearly not a fair point, since every MVFC team has either had to A) Play NDSU, or B) Play a playoff game on the road. ;)

Just like no Valley team has lost a home semi final game the last 3 years.....

heath
October 22nd, 2014, 08:18 PM
Most overrated=CAA
Most underrated=CAA
Just depends upon the year and recruiting.
Runs happen and teams are up and down, but in the past, the CAA is the best top to bottom in the FCS

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 08:19 PM
Just like no Valley team has lost a home semi final game the last 3 years.....

So, your one trick pony conference is slightly better than our one trick pony conference? Congrats. ;)

centennial
October 22nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
So.........we're just like the MVFC then.
Massey, Sagarin , GPI etc all are conspiracies against the sky. BTW South Dakota would be a top half Big Sky team. 7-1 against the Sky this year.

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2014, 09:16 PM

Picking your own data is fun. Of the current schools in the FCS, only 14 of 124 have a winning record in the playoffs. Four of those come from the Valley. No other conference has more than 3.

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2014, 09:18 PM
If we are going to call the Missouri Valley Football Conference the MVFC, is it okay to call the Big Sky the BS conference?

Grizalltheway
October 22nd, 2014, 09:27 PM

Umm, there are only 3 Big Sky teams currently in the top 25. Who exactly is overrating it?

Hammerhead
October 22nd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Portland State sold 809 tickets to their last home game. It's tough to compete with the Pac-12. :(

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/10/canzano_guess_which_local_coll.html

Montana and the mighty band of western commuter colleges.

penguinpower
October 22nd, 2014, 10:14 PM
The MVFC has a 23-1 out of conference record.

TheRevSFA
October 22nd, 2014, 10:18 PM
No, but the #2 team from a supposedly vastly superior conference shouldn't be getting blown out against a team from a conference that supposedly doesn't play any defense.

BTW, we've competed very well against the CAA in each game we've played them, and currently hold a 2-1 record against them in the playoffs.

We've historically done pretty well against the Southland, except SHSU apparently.

And except SFA....

dudeitsaid
October 23rd, 2014, 12:16 AM
Massey, Sagarin , GPI etc all are conspiracies against the sky. BTW South Dakota would be a top half Big Sky team. 7-1 against the Sky this year.

Top half, likely. 7-1...only if they didn't play the top four teams.

On the other hand, EWU and MSU would be 2nd and 3rd in the MVFC. Their offenses would create so many problems for these vaunted defenses, the DC's brains would implode. The coaches would not be able to readjust their gameplans quickly enough, and the teams too accustomed to ball control and time clock dominance would not know what to do when that is no longer relevant...

At least in the world of "woulda" homerism. It's funny to say a team "woulda" anything, because without the games being played, it is all speculative. Just because USD beat NAU by a touchdown, doesn't mean squat. NAU got beat by perennial bottom feeder UNC (who amazingly currently has the same record as USD) by the same point differential. And if you are counting on the moral victory of staying within 8 of UM, UM barely squeaked out a win versus UND. Each game is their own. It's too easy to drink the conference kool-aid, and think everyone in the conference is better than everyone else.

Big Dawg
October 23rd, 2014, 12:44 AM
overrated, MEAC
Under - NEC

How in the world is the MEAC overrated...nobody, not even the posters on this board, pays any attention to our conference

WileECoyote06
October 23rd, 2014, 02:21 AM
How in the world is the MEAC overrated...nobody, not even the posters on this board, pays any attention to our conference

lol. .our highest rated team barely cracks the Top-25 and the conference ranks 11th out of 13. Yep, we're overrated.xeyebrowx

Rjones61
October 23rd, 2014, 05:12 AM

Two years in a row, people have belittled EWU for defensive play. Yet, two years in a row we advanced to the semi-finals. We have been a top four teams in the nation. Essentially, your logic is very stupid.

Rjones61
October 23rd, 2014, 05:48 AM
Picking your own data is fun. Of the current schools in the FCS, only 14 of 124 have a winning record in the playoffs. Four of those come from the Valley. No other conference has more than 3.

You are also picking your own data. You're using all time data to compare current strengths of conference schedule. I fail to see how games from the 1970's help dictate the strengths of conferences.

UNHWildcat18
October 23rd, 2014, 07:51 AM
Most overrated=CAA
Most underrated=CAA
Just depends upon the year and recruiting.
Runs happen and teams are up and down, but in the past, the CAA is the best top to bottom in the FCS

I agree IF the CAA gets more than UNH Nova Richmond in the playoffs it will be complete crap, we are very down this year as a whole.

bulldog10jw
October 23rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Hint, Princeton is in the top half.

Don't you have to be "rated" before you can be overrated?

MSUBobcat
October 23rd, 2014, 08:13 AM
If we are going to call the Missouri Valley Football Conference the MVFC, is it okay to call the Big Sky the BS conference?

It's obvious what you were attempting with your use of abbreviations for a juvenile attempt at humor. Unfortunately, your analogy fails miserably, as the Missouri Valley Football Conference is not called the MVF Conference. xdohx

Gil Dobie
October 23rd, 2014, 09:04 AM
The MVFC could end up as the most overrated by having only 2 teams in the playoffs. Will the committee take a 4 loss MVFC team over teams with better records. It's very likely that the 3rd place MVFC team has 4 losses, unless someone beats NDSU or Illinois St along the way. A 4 loss MVFC may deserve a playoff spot, but will they be selected.

kalm
October 23rd, 2014, 09:11 AM
The MVFC could end up as the most overrated by having only 2 teams in the playoffs. Will the committee take a 4 loss MVFC team over teams with better records. It's very likely that the 3rd place MVFC team has 4 losses, unless someone beats NDSU or Illinois St along the way. A 4 loss MVFC may deserve a playoff spot, but will they be selected.

They should be.

TypicalTribe
October 23rd, 2014, 09:35 AM

I think it's increasing likely that the best the Valley can hope for is 4 teams and it would not be all that surprising if only 3 teams end up with less than 5 losses. That being said, if any of the 2 or 3 loss teams finish at 8-4, they should get in based on schedule strength and quality wins. None would have collapsed with three late losses like Youngstown last year. If Southern Illinois and Youngstown can get wins this week, then there's still hope for 5.

penguinpower
October 23rd, 2014, 10:55 AM

It's obvious what you were attempting with your use of abbreviations for a juvenile attempt at humor. Unfortunately, your analogy fails miserably, as the Missouri Valley Football Conference is not called the MVF Conference. xdohx

The should have left it called the Gateway. It was a way better name
now it has the longest most stupid name. The CAA has a stupid name too. The A10 was better.

penguinpower
October 23rd, 2014, 11:05 AM

I think it's increasing likely that the best the Valley can hope for is 4 teams and it would not be all that surprising if only 3 teams end up with less than 5 losses. That being said, if any of the 2 or 3 loss teams finish at 8-4, they should get in based on schedule strength and quality wins. None would have collapsed with three late losses like Youngstown last year. If Southern Illinois and Youngstown can get wins this week, then there's still hope for 5.

Is the playoffs about selecting the best teams not the best records? Just because you are 9-0 in a junior varsity conference doesn't mean you deserve a playoff spot over an 7 win team in a big boy conference right?

IBleedYellow
October 23rd, 2014, 11:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sTr546k.gif

WileECoyote06
October 23rd, 2014, 11:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sTr546k.gif
I normally only give rep for posts. .but this gif was too funny. xlolx

IBleedYellow
October 23rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
I normally only give rep for posts. .but this gif was too funny. xlolx

We all know what's going to happen. Fans will call out any other conference other than their own, using playoff bids, head to head matchups, and history as their sources. No one will agree on anything, everyone will complain, and the final verdict will be to see which teams make it into the playoffs and eventually win.

MSUDuo
October 23rd, 2014, 06:29 PM
The AFC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

frozennorth
October 23rd, 2014, 06:55 PM

On the other hand, EWU and MSU would be 2nd and 3rd in the MVFC. Their offenses would create so many problems for these vaunted defenses, the DC's brains would implode. The coaches would not be able to readjust their gameplans quickly enough, and the teams too accustomed to ball control and time clock dominance would not know what to do when that is no longer relevant...

At least in the world of "woulda" homerism. It's funny to say a team "woulda" anything, because without the games being played, it is all speculative. Just because USD beat NAU by a touchdown, doesn't mean squat. NAU got beat by perennial bottom feeder UNC (who amazingly currently has the same record as USD) by the same point differential. And if you are counting on the moral victory of staying within 8 of UM, UM barely squeaked out a win versus UND. Each game is their own. It's too easy to drink the conference kool-aid, and think everyone in the conference is better than everyone else.
If you were to take the top 10 teams from the combined mvfc and big sky, 7 would be from the valley. Your conference has 3 more teams.

penguinpower
October 23rd, 2014, 07:26 PM
Defense > Offense. Always.

Pard4Life
October 23rd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Big South is overrated.

Sycamore62
October 23rd, 2014, 07:57 PM

Unless you are trying to sell tickets

IBleedYellow
October 23rd, 2014, 08:19 PM
Unless you are trying to sell tickets

We seem to do alright without a flashy offense. More people are excited to stand up and cheer when we are on defense. It's great.

kalm
October 23rd, 2014, 08:31 PM

No, not always. I think there's a Freakanomics riff that speaks to this.

Bisonwinagn
October 23rd, 2014, 10:02 PM
No, not always. I think there's a Freakanomics riff that speaks to this. And you have only one championship which happened during the year you had a good defense. Just saying.

kalm
October 24th, 2014, 07:07 AM
And you have only one championship which happened during the year you had a good defense. Just saying.

We had an ok defense, Delaware was leading the nation in points allowed.

Last year two years, SDSU and ISUr had way better defenses statistically.

And we're not the only example...

dewey
October 24th, 2014, 07:30 AM
We seem to do alright without a flashy offense. More people are excited to stand up and cheer when we are on defense. It's great.

Agreed. I love standing and yelling when NDSU is on defense. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs doesn't matter as I am standing and yelling for all of them.

Dewey

veinup
October 24th, 2014, 02:08 PM
the amount of childish bull**** on display in this thread is amazing. MY CONFERENCE! MY CONFERENCE! you ****ing nerds. stop.

veinup
October 24th, 2014, 02:09 PM
retrospectively, i guess most of you are 40+ year old men who dont have **** else to do.

we gotta keep perspective here. alphagriz hasnt touched a vagina in like 20 years.

AmsterBison
October 24th, 2014, 02:21 PM
the amount of childish bull**** on display in this thread is amazing. MY CONFERENCE! MY CONFERENCE! you ****ing nerds. stop.

retrospectively, i guess most of you are 40+ year old men who dont have **** else to do.

we gotta keep perspective here. alphagriz hasnt touched a vagina in like 20 years.

Your retrospective perspective is full of puerile invective.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 24th, 2014, 09:17 PM

He probably has worn off more pecker than you got....xlolx

robsnotes4u
October 24th, 2014, 10:48 PM

That statement is very over-rated.
http://www.nfl.com/features/freakonomics/episode-15

frozennorth
October 25th, 2014, 03:04 AM
I think there are more good defenses than offenses. At the FBS level how many of the last few champions were led by their defenses? Pretty much all of them but auburn. The elite offense always gets shutdown.

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2014, 09:29 AM

I say that because my fading memory remembers the MEAC getting 2 teams in the playoffs recently...

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2014, 09:55 AM
He probably has worn off more pecker than you got....xlolx

The AG1/Bison lovefest just took a new turn....xeyebrowx

Twentysix
October 26th, 2014, 09:55 AM

I think Indiana state, Illinois state and NDSU would destroy ewu. I'd give them at best 4th in the valley.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I think Indiana state, Illinois state and NDSU would destroy ewu. I'd give them at best 4th in the valley.

I hope the Bison get matched up against Montana State and EWU because those defenses are pretty poor. Video game offenses that just try to outscore the other team.

dudeitsaid
October 26th, 2014, 10:05 AM
With our backup QB, yes. Without...destroy, meh. Maybe you should look at our performance the last four years. How many times have we been destroyed?

But then again, this years MVFC is so deep, NDSU should be #1, and every other team should be #2. The rest of the FCS far below.

We've heard it all before. In 2010, we were going to get destroyed by Nova at home without our RB, who was the only reason we had any success that year. Then we would be embarrassed on national TV against Delaware. Then we would see the power of the MVFC from the Redbirds and Jackrabbits in 2012 and 2013. Who got destroyed then?

No offense, but if EWU is at full strength, they won't get destroyed, and I have absolutely no concern that they will not only show up in the game, but possibly beat all three. Maybe they would lose all three as well, but destroyed...no. Try again.

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2014, 10:10 AM

Can I ask a serious question of the MVFC? The Bison seem to have no problem scoring at least 34 against Iowa State and all their MVFC competition this year, except against WIU. But they were only able to score 22 at home against the Griz and 24 against the Big Sky's worst team, Weber. How is the league with such terrible defenses doing such a better job stopping the Bison juggernaut than the impenetrable MVFC defenses?

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Can I ask a serious question of the MVFC? The Bison seem to have no problem scoring at least 34 against Iowa State and all their MVFC competition this year, except against WIU. But they were only able to score 22 at home against the Griz and 24 against the Big Sky's worst team, Weber. How is the league with such terrible defenses doing such a better job stopping the Bison juggernaut than the impenetrable MVFC defenses?
New team, new coaches, we are inconsistent. If the game was played later in the season we would have done better. You do know the MVFC is 7-1 against the Big Sky right? Your argument has no logic.

Thundar
October 26th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Offense did not play well at all against, weber, montana, or Western I'll

If we had got touchdowns in the Montana game over FG'S it would have been ugly, with that we still won the ooc bsc games comfortably 1 on the road

We also shut down the vaunted bsc offenses so...

MTfan4life
October 26th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Your argument has no logic.

The irony of this statement is incredible. First, Weber State also had new coaches, ones who weren't at Weber before, unlike Klieman. Second, NDSU won so many games by such large margins last season that A LOT of players got experience. They were at least two players deep at almost every position. Their key players had far more playing time than Weber's.

Second the Missouri Valley isn't 7-1 against the Big Sky, because each team in the conference doesn't get credit for every single win. That only matters as a statistic, not as an entire conference comparison. If every team in the Big Sky played every team in the Valley, then it would be accurate to compare the standings among each other.

If you are calling Montana and Weber State the vaunted BSC offenses, you haven't been watching much Big Sky football this season. Who's we? What's with all the conference orgies in the Valley? Each team is its own self. Plus, the road games to Big Sky teams were against Weber State and Southern Utah. I don't know why that would be something to brag about.

robsnotes4u
October 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM
The irony of this statement is incredible. First, Weber State also had new coaches, ones who weren't at Weber before, unlike Klieman. Second, NDSU won so many games by such large margins last season that A LOT of players got experience. They were at least two players deep at almost every position. Their key players had far more playing time than Weber's.

Second the Missouri Valley isn't 7-1 against the Big Sky, because each team in the conference doesn't get credit for every single win. That only matters as a statistic, not as an entire conference comparison. If every team in the Big Sky played every team in the Valley, then it would be accurate to compare the standings among each other.

If you are calling Montana and Weber State the vaunted BSC offenses, you haven't been watching much Big Sky football this season. Who's we? What's with all the conference orgies in the Valley? Each team is its own self. Plus, the road games to Big Sky teams were against Weber State and Southern Utah. I don't know why that would be something to brag about.

Very good points throughout

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 12:51 PM

I already said that we were inconsistent. Our OC( 1st time OC) was not calling the best games. The irony is the fact that you choose to look at 2 small subsets of not getting beaten badly, and not the fact that other MVFC teams had no trouble with the Big Sky. I can also pick and choose the fact that SD beat NAU who beat EWU. The fact remains that the Valley is 16 point favorites over the Big Sky according to Sagarin.
The only game NDSU was close to losing was WIU.

semobison
October 26th, 2014, 01:03 PM
With our backup QB, yes. Without...destroy, meh. Maybe you should look at our performance the last four years. How many times have we been destroyed?

But then again, this years MVFC is so deep, NDSU should be #1, and every other team should be #2. The rest of the FCS far below.

We've heard it all before. In 2010, we were going to get destroyed by Nova at home without our RB, who was the only reason we had any success that year. Then we would be embarrassed on national TV against Delaware. Then we would see the power of the MVFC from the Redbirds and Jackrabbits in 2012 and 2013. Who got destroyed then?

No offense, but if EWU is at full strength, they won't get destroyed, and I have absolutely no concern that they will not only show up in the game, but possibly beat all three. Maybe they would lose all three as well, but destroyed...no. Try again.

You do realize that in 2012 and 2013 you beat two teams from the Valley who were both 5-3 in conference play. In 2012 you beat NDSU in overtime who was 4-4 in conference play.

Walkon79
October 26th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Offense did not play well at all against, weber, montana, or Western I'll

If we had got touchdowns in the Montana game over FG'S it would have been ugly, with that we still won the ooc bsc games comfortably 1 on the road

You haven't played a "vaunted" BSC offense yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

semobison
October 26th, 2014, 01:08 PM

Two scores: 0-4 Valley USD 28 NAU 21.
2-2 Valley SDSU 44 Cal Poly 18

MTfan4life
October 26th, 2014, 01:09 PM
according to Sagarin.

YES! I knew you had to resort to your precious computer rankings at some point! Keep using those and the committee will soon ask you to join with those always accurate numbers. The Valley is 16 point favorites over the Big Sky? What does that even mean? When is the next time a team called the MVFC will play a team called the Big Sky??? That statistic would have no validity in any matchup between two teams. It's just a statistical average. It's not like the entire conference plays together in any given game.

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 01:21 PM
YES! I knew you had to resort to your precious computer rankings at some point! Keep using those and the committee will soon ask you to join with those always accurate numbers. The Valley is 16 point favorites over the Big Sky? What does that even mean? When is the next time a team called the MVFC will play a team called the Big Sky??? That statistic would have no validity in any matchup between two teams. It's just a statistical average. It's not like the entire conference plays together in any given game.

I am not even sure what you are arguing about really. There isn't really a comparison between the 2 conferences, that is validated by Saragin, Massey, GPI, AGS etc. The argument that Montana or Weber didn't lose badly to NDSU and hence are strong is destroyed by the fact that we are 7-1 against you. Like I said before SD defeated NAU, SDSU destroyed Cal Poly, UNI destroyed UNC, MSU destroyed UND. Statistically, that is more than enough to make a co relation between 2 sets of information. The committee is biased like any other group of people, and believe it or not, does pander to politics.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 01:40 PM

Really?

I give the Montana defense some credit, they made the Bison offense kick field goals. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other team. Weber played a very good game and it took the Bison quite awhile to get going....credit to Weber.

Now does MSU play great every game? All teams do not bring their "A" game every week.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 01:43 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maybe not but I can tell you this, I hope NDSU gets to play both Montana State and EWU this year because both of those defenses are poor. You cannot score like a video game when your defenses are getting pounded.

kalm
October 26th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Maybe not but I can tell you this, I hope NDSU gets to play both Montana State and EWU this year because both of those defenses are poor. You cannot score like a video game when your defenses are getting pounded.

Huh?

CrazyCat
October 26th, 2014, 01:51 PM
If a computer rating has a .500 team in the top ten overall. Their methods are flawed.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Huh?

What is so hard to understand with what I said?

NDB
October 26th, 2014, 01:59 PM

Do you promise not to puss out if we schedule you again?

That's what I thought.

dudeitsaid
October 26th, 2014, 02:04 PM
What is so hard to understand with what I said?
Probably the fact its a false statement. Maybe if your offense moves slowly down the field and controls the clock? Don't know if that is what you meant by defenses getting pounded. In my mind, that statement would mean you score quickly, which actually be more conducive to a high scoring game.

dudeitsaid
October 26th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I'm excited for our OOC games against the MVFC. Our AD is not afraid of the MVFC's best, our coaches aren't, are players aren't, and our fans aren't. Maybe we will lose, but I am excited to see how we stack up.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I'm excited for our OOC games against the MVFC. Our AD is not afraid of the MVFC's best, our coaches aren't, are players aren't, and our fans aren't. Maybe we will lose, but I am excited to see how we stack up.

2016 EWU comes to Fargo. I'm looking forward to this game.

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Hopefully, we meet in the playoffs this year.

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I am not even sure what you are arguing about really. There isn't really a comparison between the 2 conferences, that is validated by Saragin, Massey, GPI, AGS etc. The argument that Montana or Weber didn't lose badly to NDSU and hence are strong is destroyed by the fact that we are 7-1 against you. Like I said before SD defeated NAU, SDSU destroyed Cal Poly, UNI destroyed UNC, MSU destroyed UND. Statistically, that is more than enough to make a co relation between 2 sets of information. The committee is biased like any other group of people, and believe it or not, does pander to politics.

Who is making the argument that because Montana, and especially Weber, didn't lose badly that they are strong? My point was that, given 2 chances, one against the BSC's worst team, NDSU was unable to match what they have done offensively against supposedly superior defenses. Another Bison fan said something about not playing your best every game, but it's pretty coincidental that they chose to not get up for either game against Big Sky teams. It's even more odd when you consider that there's pretty much a consensus that conference-mates generally give a team better games due to the familiarity of playing against each other every year.

As for the other games you mentioned, if there was ever an inconsistent team that struggles on the road it's NAU this year. Losses to bottom feeders USD and UNC, but home W's over Cal Poly and EWU? Yes SDSU "destroyed" Cal Poly, but that was less than a month after having to suspend 5 players. They seem to have righted the ship since, given that they beat the Griz by almost as many points as the Bison scored total. UNI and MSU destroying the perennially bad UNC and UND is nothing to brag about in my opinion.

I appreciate your continual dick stroking of the computer ratings. With the way the rules are constantly softening football, soon we will just let the computers decide who will win the games and not even bother to play them. Won't that be FUN!!

NoDak 4 Ever
October 26th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Who is making the argument that because Montana, and especially Weber, didn't lose badly that they are strong? My point was that, given 2 chances, one against the BSC's worst team, NDSU was unable to match what they have done offensively against supposedly superior defenses. Another Bison fan said something about not playing your best every game, but it's pretty coincidental that they chose to not get up for either game against Big Sky teams. It's even more odd when you consider that there's pretty much a consensus that conference-mates generally give a team better games due to the familiarity of playing against each other every year.

As for the other games you mentioned, if there was ever an inconsistent team that struggles on the road it's NAU this year. Losses to bottom feeders USD and UNC, but home W's over Cal Poly and EWU? Yes SDSU "destroyed" Cal Poly, but that was less than a month after having to suspend 5 players. They seem to have righted the ship since, given that they beat the Griz by almost as many points as the Bison scored total. UNI and MSU destroying the perennially bad UNC and UND is nothing to brag about in my opinion.

I appreciate your continual dick stroking of the computer ratings. With the way the rules are constantly softening football, soon we will just let the computers decide who will win the games and not even bother to play them. Won't that be FUN!!

You are talking about essentially preseason games with a new offensive coordinator. It took a while to get things working, especially the offensive line. Both of those game would be blowouts now.

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM
You are talking about essentially preseason games with a new offensive coordinator. It took a while to get things working, especially the offensive line. Both of those game would be blowouts now.

Ummmm, Wut? FBS Iowa State was week 1 and the Bison, even with a new OC, had no trouble hanging 34 on them (well done, NDSU, btw). Weber was only week 2 but still should have been blown out of the water given the previous week's display. UM was week 4 of a 13 week (including a bye) schedule. At what point does "preseason" end? On that note, the offensive game plan doesn't seem to have changed that drastically, if much at all, from what they did last year. Ball control with a strong running game and adequate to good passing to complement it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM

If you go back and read what they said, that sometimes to have to tip your hat to the other team.

Montana State/NDSU potential playoff match up this year will be interesting. Pretty safe to say the outcome would be much similar to the '10 playoff game with how dominant the MSU defense is this year...xthumbsupx

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 04:07 PM

Oh please. You have no argument to stand on, keep up with your circular logic. Big Sky has weak defenses. If you get to the playoffs and play a MVFC team you can decide for your self how "legit" we are. 23-1 vs the FCS. Computer ratings, conference vs conference records, stats you seem to find an argument against everything. I am sure you could use the same arguments to prove that there isn't a difference between the Big Sky and Mountain West too.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Ummmm, Wut? FBS Iowa State was week 1 and the Bison, even with a new OC, had no trouble hanging 34 on them (well done, NDSU, btw). Weber was only week 2 but still should have been blown out of the water given the previous week's display. UM was week 4 of a 13 week (including a bye) schedule. At what point does "preseason" end? On that note, the offensive game plan doesn't seem to have changed that drastically, if much at all, from what they did last year. Ball control with a strong running game and adequate to good passing to complement it.

Maybe, just maybe those first few games for the Bison, the team was finding out how to play with each other. Every O-lineman this year is new. One starter back but playing a different position.

Playing like they are now, those Montana and Weber games would be blow outs now. But hats off to those teams when they played the Bison. Montana's defense played a great game and Weber played a good game on both sides of the ball also.

kalm
October 26th, 2014, 04:12 PM

Well, Weber had an entirely new coaching staff, so I guess it would be pick 'em at this point.

semobison
October 26th, 2014, 04:17 PM

No computer dick stroking needed! 7-1 advantage MVFC, real live games! And...3 of your 4 teams lost their opening round playoff games last year. Since 2010 that has only happened to a Valley team once!... About the Bison and their BSC games, it does not matter what the scores were, we held both teams to their current season low and won both games!

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Oh please. You have no argument to stand on, keep up with your circular logic. Big Sky has weak defenses. If you get to the playoffs and play a MVFC team you can decide for your self how "legit" we are. 23-1 vs the FCS. Computer ratings, conference vs conference records, stats you seem to find an argument against everything. I am sure you could use the same arguments to prove that there isn't a difference between the Big Sky and Mountain West too.

You seem to be missing my point altogether, my literacy challenged friend. I never said anything about the Big Sky defenses being good. Seeing the scores against their fellow MVFC brethren is making me start to question the strength of the MVFC defenses (the second statement of my post that you quoted indicated what I was saying, but you missed the "my point......supposedly superior defenses" part. Which ones are the good defenses? Obviously NDSU. ISU-r appears to have a good defense on paper (haven't seen them play). UNI seems to hold most offenses at bay. Indiana State, if you omit the 34 they gave up to the Bison in Fargo? SDSU is giving up almost 33 pt/game in October.

I'm just wondering what the line is between the great MVFC defense and the terrible BSC ones? Every week NDSU rolls a conference team by more than either Big Sky team. I keep seeing conference games with scores like 30-27 or 41-26. Given the reputation for defense and familiarity with each other, why so many high scoring games?

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 04:42 PM
You seem to be missing my point altogether, my literacy challenged friend. I never said anything about the Big Sky defenses being good. Seeing the scores against their fellow MVFC brethren is making me start to question the strength of the MVFC defenses (the second statement of my post that you quoted indicated what I was saying, but you missed the "my point......supposedly superior defenses" part. Which ones are the good defenses? Obviously NDSU. ISU-r appears to have a good defense on paper (haven't seen them play). UNI seems to hold most offenses at bay. Indiana State, if you omit the 34 they gave up to the Bison in Fargo? SDSU is giving up almost 33 pt/game in October.

I'm just wondering what the line is between the great MVFC defense and the terrible BSC ones? Every week NDSU rolls a conference team by more than either Big Sky team. I keep seeing conference games with scores like 30-27 or 41-26. Given the reputation for defense and familiarity with each other, why so many high scoring games?
The only one literacy challenged here is you. Comparing a team trying to figure things out and using that to judge other teams. Then you make excuses for every fact placed in front of you. There is no need to make this personal, idiot.

MSUBobcat
October 26th, 2014, 04:57 PM
The only one literacy challenged here is you. Comparing a team trying to figure things out and using that to judge other teams. Then you make excuses for every fact placed in front of you. There is no need to make this personal, idiot.

Dunce, try to follow along here. What excuses have I made? I've never deviated from my point in post #63. Maybe one could have construed from that post that I was saying the Big Sky defenses are good because they held the Bison to less than their conference foes, but I was really saying that if the MVFC has good defenses (I called them impenetrable in the post) why do the Bison run roughshod over teams that should be familiar with them? Why are 2/5 games every week fairly high scoring games?

So, my question remains, why does the MVFC have the reputation of having superior defenses this year? Which ones are good? As is my first post (#63), I ask this in all seriousness and not as the smack as you touchy Bison fans took it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Dunce, try to follow along here. What excuses have I made? I've never deviated from my point in post #63. Maybe one could have construed from that post that I was saying the Big Sky defenses are good because they held the Bison to less than their conference foes, but I was really saying that if the MVFC has good defenses (I called them impenetrable in the post) why do the Bison run roughshod over teams that should be familiar with them? Why are 2/5 games every week fairly high scoring games?

So, my question remains, why does the MVFC have the reputation of having superior defenses this year? Which ones are good? As is my first post (#63), I ask this in all seriousness and not as the smack as you touchy Bison fans took it.

Go read post #89.

As you said yourself.....you haven't seen the Bison play this year. I'll go out on a limb and say they are pretty good...xnutsx

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I am done with this thread. The stats are here for anyone to look at-
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stats/stats.aspx

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 05:17 PM
SCORING OFFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
1. Illinois State 6 33 8 31 0 0 0 253 42.2
2. North Dakota St. 7 27 13 26 0 0 0 227 32.4
3. Northern Iowa 7 23 18 23 0 0 1 217 31.0
4. Southern Illinois 8 31 9 30 1 0 0 245 30.6
5. Youngstown State 7 25 12 23 1 0 0 211 30.1
6. South Dakota St. 7 25 8 22 2 1 0 202 28.9
7. Missouri State 7 26 5 23 0 0 0 194 27.7
8. Indiana State 7 23 7 20 0 0 0 179 25.6
9. Western Illinois 8 23 8 22 0 0 0 184 23.0
10. South Dakota 7 15 12 12 1 0 0 140 20.0

SCORING DEFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
1. North Dakota St. 7 8 4 8 0 0 0 68 9.7
2. Illinois State 6 9 7 6 0 0 1 83 13.8
3. Youngstown State 7 18 5 15 0 0 0 138 19.7
4. Northern Iowa 7 18 5 16 0 0 0 139 19.9
5. Southern Illinois 8 20 10 18 1 0 0 170 21.2
6. Indiana State 7 17 12 16 0 0 0 154 22.0
7. Missouri State 7 18 10 16 1 0 0 156 22.3
8. South Dakota St. 7 23 3 19 0 0 0 166 23.7
9. Western Illinois 8 24 8 22 0 0 1 192 24.0
10. South Dakota 7 30 6 26 1 0 0 226 32.3

TOTAL OFFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Avg/G
1. Illinois State 6 1428 1293 386 2721 7.0 31 453.5
2. North Dakota St. 7 1617 1477 495 3094 6.3 25 442.0
3. Youngstown State 7 1471 1579 462 3050 6.6 25 435.7
4. South Dakota St. 7 1321 1624 491 2945 6.0 23 420.7
5. Western Illinois 8 1300 1865 559 3165 5.7 22 395.6
6. Southern Illinois 8 1301 1834 532 3135 5.9 31 391.9
7. Northern Iowa 7 1152 1555 486 2707 5.6 21 386.7
8. Missouri State 7 1431 1245 486 2676 5.5 24 382.3
9. South Dakota 7 1363 1193 472 2556 5.4 14 365.1
10. Indiana State 7 548 1808 466 2356 5.1 22 336.6

TOTAL DEFENSE G Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Avg/G
1. North Dakota St. 7 696 1084 418 1780 4.3 7 254.3
2. Northern Iowa 7 696 1361 458 2057 4.5 16 293.9
3. Illinois State 6 778 1161 426 1939 4.6 9 323.2
4. South Dakota St. 7 1252 1116 434 2368 5.5 20 338.3
5. Youngstown State 7 926 1507 447 2433 5.4 18 347.6
6. Southern Illinois 8 1170 1699 568 2869 5.1 19 358.6
7. Indiana State 7 1174 1340 535 2514 4.7 15 359.1
8. Western Illinois 8 1138 1811 560 2949 5.3 24 368.6
9. Missouri State 7 1144 1521 474 2665 5.6 18 380.7
10. South Dakota 7 1585 1371 469 2956 6.3 29 422.3

RUSHING OFFENSE G Att Yards Avg TD Yards/G
1. Illinois State 6 255 1428 5.6 17 238.0
2. North Dakota St. 7 327 1617 4.9 16 231.0
3. Youngstown State 7 296 1471 5.0 13 210.1
4. Missouri State 7 314 1431 4.6 10 204.4
5. South Dakota 7 289 1363 4.7 11 194.7
6. South Dakota St. 7 285 1321 4.6 12 188.7
7. Northern Iowa 7 263 1152 4.4 9 164.6
8. Southern Illinois 8 275 1301 4.7 14 162.6
9. Western Illinois 8 307 1300 4.2 9 162.5
10. Indiana State 7 197 548 2.8 9 78.3

RUSHING DEFENSE G Att Yards Avg TD Yards/G
1. North Dakota St. 7 199 696 3.5 5 99.4
1. Northern Iowa 7 245 696 2.8 10 99.4
3. Illinois State 6 239 778 3.3 4 129.7
4. Youngstown State 7 237 926 3.9 3 132.3
5. Western Illinois 8 295 1138 3.9 12 142.2
6. Southern Illinois 8 323 1170 3.6 11 146.2
7. Missouri State 7 258 1144 4.4 9 163.4
8. Indiana State 7 291 1174 4.0 10 167.7
9. South Dakota St. 7 262 1252 4.8 15 178.9
10. South Dakota 7 293 1585 5.4 16 226.4

PASS OFFENSE G Comp Att Int Pct Yards Avg TD Avg/G
1. Indiana State 7 166 269 1 61.7 1808 6.7 13 258.3
2. Western Illinois 8 148 252 7 58.7 1865 7.4 13 233.1
3. South Dakota St. 7 121 206 12 58.7 1624 7.9 11 232.0
4. Southern Illinois 8 159 257 8 61.9 1834 7.1 17 229.2
5. Youngstown State 7 103 166 2 62.0 1579 9.5 12 225.6
6. Northern Iowa 7 110 223 7 49.3 1555 7.0 12 222.1
7. Illinois State 6 73 131 6 55.7 1293 9.9 14 215.5
8. North Dakota St. 7 110 168 4 65.5 1477 8.8 9 211.0
9. Missouri State 7 88 172 4 51.2 1245 7.2 14 177.9
10. South Dakota 7 100 183 5 54.6 1193 6.5 3 170.4

PASS DEFENSE G Comp Att Int Pct Yards Avg TD Avg/G
1. North Dakota St. 7 118 219 6 53.9 1084 4.9 2 154.9
2. South Dakota St. 7 98 172 9 57.0 1116 6.5 5 159.4
3. Indiana State 7 128 244 6 52.5 1340 5.5 5 191.4
4. Illinois State 6 96 187 9 51.3 1161 6.2 5 193.5
5. Northern Iowa 7 128 213 7 60.1 1361 6.4 6 194.4
6. South Dakota 7 95 176 5 54.0 1371 7.8 13 195.9
7. Southern Illinois 8 128 245 6 52.2 1699 6.9 8 212.4
8. Youngstown State 7 121 210 5 57.6 1507 7.2 15 215.3
9. Missouri State 7 129 216 9 59.7 1521 7.0 9 217.3
10. Western Illinois 8 161 265 6 60.8 1811 6.8 12 226.4

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I am done with this thread. The stats are here for anyone to look at-
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stats/stats.aspx

Thanks for that link.

Pretty amazing stat: NDSU has given up only 8 TDs in 8 games...xthumbsupx

kalm
October 26th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks for that link.

Pretty amazing stat: NDSU has given up only 8 TDs in 8 games...xthumbsupx

That's because they haven't played a Big Sky offense...duh

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 05:48 PM
That's because they haven't played a Big Sky offense...duh

I know. If the Bison are lucky enough to make the playoffs, the first thing they should do is forfeit any game against the Big Sky. No way the Bison defense can contain any powerhouse BSC offense...xpeacex

dudeitsaid
October 26th, 2014, 06:26 PM

It's funny that this stat has been thrown around a few times. I wonder what the top 5 conferences would've been against the same OOC games. Most of those wins are versus sub .500 teams, and some of those teams are perennially weak. I have to think most of the conferences would've produced great results as well. Facing the likes of Incarnate Word, Weber State, Mississippi Valley State, Eastern Illinois, Austen Peay, Butler, St Francis, Tennessee Tech, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, UND, Valpo, and Drake don't really make me quake at fearsomeness of those victories. We play the schedule we have, and who would've know EIU and SUU would've slipped so much. But it's not like the MVFC went 23-1 against the best the FCS has to offer. There are few decent victories to hang the hat on, but less than half of that overblown statistic.

SUPharmacist
October 26th, 2014, 06:35 PM
It's funny that this stat has been thrown around a few times. I wonder what the top 5 conferences would've been against the same OOC games. Most of those wins are versus sub .500 teams, and some of those teams are perennially weak. I have to think most of the conferences would've produced great results as well. Facing the likes of Incarnate Word, Weber State, Mississippi Valley State, Eastern Illinois, Austen Peay, Butler, St Francis, Tennessee Tech, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, UND, Valpo, and Drake don't really make me quake at fearsomeness of those victories. We play the schedule we have, and who would've know EIU and SUU would've slipped so much. But it's not like the MVFC went 23-1 against the best the FCS has to offer. There are few decent victories to hang the hat on, but less than half of that overblown statistic.

Now I have not read this entire thread, and am in no way qualified to pass any judgment on any conference, but... when complaining about the MVFC OOC record and stating how weak that schedule was did you really lost 4 Big Sky Teams as examples.

dudeitsaid
October 26th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Now I have not read this entire thread, and am in no way qualified to pass any judgment on any conference, but... when complaining about the MVFC OOC record and stating how weak that schedule was did you really lost 4 Big Sky Teams as examples.
Yes. I'm not a conference homer. I think there can be strong or weak teams in any conference. I wouldn't categorize any of those as quality wins at this point.

SUPharmacist
October 26th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Yes. I'm not a conference homer. I think there can be strong or weak teams in any conference. I wouldn't categorize any of those as quality wins at this point.

Fair enough, and you are right that all conferences have both ends. But a 23-1 conference mark indicates even bottom feeders are getting their wins OOC. Does the strength of the Sky or Valley have any impact on NDSU or EWU in the playoffs? I would think any impact would be negligible.