PDA

View Full Version : Bring on the Deliverence jokes...

Southern Bison
October 22nd, 2014, 05:19 PM
So there's this team making some noise in the SoCon deep in the North Carolina mountains...

I'm looking into rolling up to Cullowhee, setting up the tent for the weekend, and venturing to the game vs. the bellhops. Any WCU posters going to be there? xbeerchugx

citdog
October 23rd, 2014, 11:06 AM
Jon Voight. Ned Beatty, and Burt Reynolds are planning a float trip.

Southern Bison
October 25th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Decided to check out Presbyterian this weekend. I'm going to shoot for Chatty/Western next weekend.

MartletCat
October 26th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I'll see you there, SouthernBison. This past weeks game had great attendance, with a mistake filled game on both sides of the ball. I'm already beyond hyped up for what will surely be our toughest game of the season.

OL FU
October 27th, 2014, 06:35 AM
xeyebrowxWell not to change the subject of the thread but in defense of the Catamounts, The river in Deliverance is actually the northern border of South Carolina and Georgia

MartletCat
October 27th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I think Mill Street in downtown Sylva was used in a part of the film. Speaking of which, this street was very busy when I was in school, and it looks to have taken a slight turn for the worse, as numerous shops and a few restaurants have closed their doors on this side of the downtown area that you pass through when going towards Dillsboro. A lot of new business (mostly mass corporate fast food) has shown up a few miles up the road, closer to the university on Main Street Sylva, which I'm sure hasn't helped the downtown area.

But still....you always have that chance that you'll hear some banjo music depending on what road you venture down

OL FU
October 27th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I think Mill Street in downtown Sylva was used in a part of the film. Speaking of which, this street was very busy when I was in school, and it looks to have taken a slight turn for the worse, as numerous shops and a few restaurants have closed their doors on this side of the downtown area that you pass through when going towards Dillsboro. A lot of new business (mostly mass corporate fast food) has shown up a few miles up the road, closer to the university on Main Street Sylva, which I'm sure hasn't helped the downtown area.

But still....you always have that chance that you'll hear some banjo music depending on what road you venture down

Interesting didn't know that about Sylva and the movie.

I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that Sylva's entertainment district was dependent on the lack of alcohol sales in Cullowhee. Now that you can buy in Cullowhee.....

MartletCat
October 27th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Interesting didn't know that about Sylva and the movie.

I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that Sylva's entertainment district was dependent on the lack of alcohol sales in Cullowhee. Now that you can buy in Cullowhee.....

Funny you should say that, because when I was at WCU from 2007 - 11, there were a couple grocery stores and one liquor store, which were both in Sylva. Along with that, the only real restaurants you could buy beer at were in downtown Sylva. This used to be a blessing for downtown, but is now a huge burden. During my time in school, downtown Sylva establishments were divided, in that some really liked and welcomed students, and others tried be as inaccessible and unwelcoming as possible to anyone not at least in their mid-30s. Of course, the year after I graduate, alcohol was now being sold both on, and across from campus, at convenience stores and restaurants, making it beyond easy and much safer for the students to get some brews. In turn, this has helped contribute to the downfall of the downtown Sylva restaurants, which has been sad to see happen. Overall, it's really interesting to see how things change on a yearly basis in Cullowhee and the neighboring towns.

Please note that none of this includes that "other" liquor that is available, but not sold in stores :D

Southern Bison
October 30th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Funny you should say that, because when I was at WCU from 2007 - 11, there were a couple grocery stores and one liquor store, which were both in Sylva. Along with that, the only real restaurants you could buy beer at were in downtown Sylva. This used to be a blessing for downtown, but is now a huge burden. During my time in school, downtown Sylva establishments were divided, in that some really liked and welcomed students, and others tried be as inaccessible and unwelcoming as possible to anyone not at least in their mid-30s. Of course, the year after I graduate, alcohol was now being sold both on, and across from campus, at convenience stores and restaurants, making it beyond easy and much safer for the students to get some brews. In turn, this has helped contribute to the downfall of the downtown Sylva restaurants, which has been sad to see happen. Overall, it's really interesting to see how things change on a yearly basis in Cullowhee and the neighboring towns.

Please note that none of this includes that "other" liquor that is available, but not sold in stores :D

OL FU knows how good that stuff is...I was able to intergrate it in with the wine & cheese crowd at Furman last season!

Southern Bison
October 30th, 2014, 06:18 AM
We'll be up there between 10-11 with the Bison flag flying high!

OL FU
October 30th, 2014, 07:04 AM
OL FU knows how good that stuff is...I was able to intergrate it in with the wine & cheese crowd at Furman last season!

That was the best white wine I have ever tasted.xthumbsupx

MartletCat
October 30th, 2014, 12:14 PM
We'll be up there between 10-11 with the Bison flag flying high!

Sounds good, I'll be getting there with the girlfriend right around the same time, so I'll be on the lookout for your Bison flag. ...working until midnight on Friday makes for a fun commute out of Atlanta, but after roughly 4 hours of sleep, I wake up, and forget I was tired about fifteen seconds later because FOOTBALL!!

Appaholic
July 30th, 2018, 11:18 AM
xeyebrowxWell not to change the subject of the thread but in defense of the Catamounts, The river in Deliverance is actually the northern border of South Carolina and Georgia

The Chattooga runs from NC (at base of Whiteside Mtn outside of Cashiers, NC) into GA / SC and becomes their border. The movie was filmed beginning from the West Fork of Chattooga (where banjo boy is standing on the bridge) outside of Clayton, GA. Most of the rest of the movie was filmed on the Chattooga proper except for the waterfall scene (Burt Reynolds breaks his leg) which was filmed in the Tallulah Gorge. The lake scenes (paddling back to cars) was filmed in Lake Jocassee in SC as well as the opening credits of the movie (dynamite scene). "Aintry" was in fact filmed in Sylva NC. The scene where the Sheriff (who is actually the author of the book, James Dickey) warns them never to come back up was filmed in the parking area of Bad Creek Hydro area.

I really know too much about this movie.....

ursus arctos horribilis
July 30th, 2018, 11:49 AM
The Chattooga runs from NC (at base of Whiteside Mtn outside of Cashiers, NC) into GA / SC and becomes their border. The movie was filmed beginning from the West Fork of Chattooga (where banjo boy is standing on the bridge) outside of Clayton, GA. Most of the rest of the movie was filmed on the Chattooga proper except for the waterfall scene (Burt Reynolds breaks his leg) which was filmed in the Tallulah Gorge. The lake scenes (paddling back to cars) was filmed in Lake Jocassee in SC as well as the opening credits of the movie (dynamite scene). "Aintry" was in fact filmed in Sylva NC. The scene where the Sheriff (who is actually the author of the book, James Dickey) warns them never to come back up was filmed in the parking area of Bad Creek Hydro area.

I really know too much about this movie.....

xlolx
I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago and how long it had been since we had talked.

Good to know you are still around here and there.

BisonFan02
July 30th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Deliverance thread necro......search it out or nah? xlolx

Appaholic
July 30th, 2018, 04:21 PM
xlolx
I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago and how long it had been since we had talked.

Good to know you are still around here and there.

I'm back from my self-imposed exile of 6yrs. Hope you are well and will not mind me lurking about and re-connecting with old friends. Are the regulars still about?

Go Green
September 6th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Deliverance thread necro......search it out or nah? xlolx

RIP, Burt...