PDA

View Full Version : Teams who could challenge NDSU and why.

Pages : [1] 2

Lehigh'98
October 20th, 2014, 12:00 PM
NDSU is on the most impressive run FCS has ever seen. Yes App won 3 in a row, but they were beaten in the regular season. NDSU is just dominating good teams. Who is out there this year that will give them a run? Will it happen in the regular season or playoffs. To me, it looks like it will take a team to out Bison the Bison (Bucknell?). Meaning a team will have to be very physical on both sides of the ball, but also have a dual threat on offense. Villanova jumps out at me, not sure anyone else can pull it off at this point.

Bisonator
October 20th, 2014, 12:04 PM
At first glance I would agree with Villanova but I'm not sure about their defense. I think it's going to take a strong defensive team to do it. Keep it close and force some turnovers and you've got a chance. Just relying on out scoring them is not a good game plan.

rokamortis
October 20th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Denver Broncos, Seal Team Six, and the Harlem Globetrotters.

JSUBison
October 20th, 2014, 12:10 PM
NDSU is on the most impressive run FCS has ever seen. Yes App won 3 in a row, but they were beaten in the regular season. NDSU is just dominating good teams. Who is out there this year that will give them a run? Will it happen in the regular season or playoffs. To me, it looks like it will take a team to out Bison the Bison (Bucknell?). Meaning a team will have to be very physical on both sides of the ball, but also have a dual threat on offense. Villanova jumps out at me, not sure anyone else can pull it off at this point.

It will have to be like in Superman 3 when Superman splits in two and fought himself in the junkyard.

knucklehead
October 20th, 2014, 12:11 PM
And the Avengers

Bison56
October 20th, 2014, 12:12 PM

Not a chance.

thebootfitter
October 20th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Only if they all teamed up together and we're coached by an army of giant Ditkas.

Bison56
October 20th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson could beat them.

ST_Lawson
October 20th, 2014, 12:14 PM
At first glance I would agree with Villanova but I'm not sure about their defense. I think it's going to take a strong defensive team to do it. Keep it close and force some turnovers and you've got a chance. Just relying on out scoring them is not a good game plan.

As in....do what we did, but don't take your boot off their necks in the 4th quarter.

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Montana...I think? Hope? Depends on how much the O-line can improve over the next 5 games. If JJ actually has time to throw, he still has a lot of weapons at his disposal, and Canada and Van are both pretty dangerous backs. I think the coaches would also need to work in some more designed QB runs/read options plays, like they started to do against Davis, to keep the Bison D on their toes.

Oh, and throwing touchdowns instead of interceptions in the endzone would help, too.

Houndawg
October 20th, 2014, 12:16 PM

I think you have to score first, and have a solid TOP advantage in the first half to be able to hang with them for four quarters. Need to be up around 20 first downs to give the d some rest.

Lehigh'98
October 20th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Excellent, this was the thread direction I was hoping for.

The East German women Olympians from the 70's as the defense may stop them from scoring.

Silenoz
October 20th, 2014, 12:21 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/a5/1a58fb78-1e67-58a8-9821-bf2f247b4a85/1a58fb78-1e67-58a8-9821-bf2f247b4a85.image.jpg

smilo
October 20th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Villanova is a pretty underrated defense. If we get OLB Corey Majors back, we'll be a serious force. I am hopeful that he will be ready for the playoffs. A bit weak at CB and down at DE from last year, but at full strength, 4 elite safetys and 4 elite LBs can make up for that. I think Trey McBride exploited the CBs very well, but not many in the nation can like he does. Getting Medley and Hall back in the next 3 weeks and 1 week respectively will help rebalance the offense.
NDSU-Nova would be a sick game, and I'd be very sad if it's not the championship (after disposing UNH in the semis).

chattanoogamocs
October 20th, 2014, 12:23 PM
So admit it...this thread is just trolling to see if Chattownmocs will see it.

I mean, we all know the selection committee kept the Mocs out last year because they didn't want anyone embarrassing those paper tiger champs from the Dakotas.

...this board needs more cowbell! ;)

rokamortis
October 20th, 2014, 12:24 PM
And the Avengers

And Ocean's 11

deez_na
October 20th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Montana...I think? Hope? Depends on how much the O-line can improve over the next 5 games. If JJ actually has time to throw, he still has a lot of weapons at his disposal, and Canada and Van are both pretty dangerous backs. I think the coaches would also need to work in some more designed QB runs/read options plays, like they started to do against Davis, to keep the Bison D on their toes.

Oh, and throwing touchdowns instead of interceptions in the endzone would help, too.

I may have agreed with this but after watching them player earlier i just don't think they could win at the Dome. NDSU really dominated that entire game but struggled that day to punch it in. I don't see 4 straight field goals happening again like that. It's tough to say though and anything can happen. Montana did need a block to beat UND

VUCats02
October 20th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I'm really hoping Nova gets a shot at NDSU this year. Would be awesome to have the two best teams in the national championship this year just like in 2009.

lionsrking2
October 20th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Depends on what you mean by "challenge" but we (Southeastern Louisiana) definitely have the physical pieces to match up. We're big,fast and physical on defense, can play the run and very talented on the back end. Offensively, we hit some snags early in the year while breaking in a new offensive coordinator but have explosive skill guys and starting to hit our stride. We're also very good on special teams though our punt team scuffled this past Saturday vs UCA. Don't get me wrong, NDSU is my No. 1 team and prohibitive favorite to four-peat but to answer the question, we have the horses to make it a competitive game.

RabidRabbit
October 20th, 2014, 12:38 PM
A quad threat (tall WR's, good TE for the cross-patterns, mobile/accurate QB, and an outstanding RB) with a stout O-Line, plus a top 50 D, have a prayer if the Bizun have an off-game, and the opponent has a good game. Then, there'd be about a 3/10 chances in pulling the upset.

UNI and SDSU have the best chance within the MoValley. UNI has the home advantage this year. The Panthers play a penalty-free game, and actually work D Johnson like they should, they have a shot at the Bison. SDSU is the Bison's younger brother and damned near clone. Great Rivalry game! Fargo has been a curse to SDSU for years, except for 2008. But an off day for the Bison and an on day for the Rabbits....

Outside of the MVFC maybe Nova, UNH or SELA? IMHO, Mont St or EWU would find out that Offense will not win over a Defensive machine. IL St may get a shot at them in the title game if they are undefeated in regular season.

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Ditka

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I'm really hoping Nova gets a shot at NDSU this year. Would be awesome to have the two best teams in the national championship this year just like in 2009.

2009? Don't seem to recall a championship game that year. Nope, doesn't ring a bell.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Lots of team could. Like a few have said Villanova probably matches up the best because of their versatility to win in multiple different ways and the dynamic talent they have at QB but there are plenty of teams that could beat the Bison if they hit NDSU on the right day and play well.

walliver
October 20th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Chuck Norris

... with one hand tied behind his back.

HailSzczur
October 20th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Nova would match up very well I think. I honestly haven't watched much film of NDSU (ok really anything other than ISU highlights....).

I was looking through the NDSU stats, and they seem to a very ground and pound type of a team with about a 2:1 run to pass ratio. Nova's pass defense was made to look like swiss cheese by McBride this weekend, but NDSU doesn't seem to have a standout, conference leading receiver as no one averages over 50 ypg. Nova's run defense is a better than the pass defense, and would certainly have their hands full.

Personally I think the Nova O vs the NDSU D is where the game would be won. Our attack is so balanced and so well rounded it would give the Bison a ton to game plan for. 4 different guys can handle the ball out of the backfield, and after Poppy Livers, our number 2 through whatever receiver is a fluid conglomeration of Burke, Guylas, Horyne, Lincoln, and a few other guys who make me scratch my head when I hear their name called.

As long as it doesn't come down to a GW field goal, I think we'd have a shot. I hope this is the NC game, I'd love to take a whack at NDSU.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Nova would match up very well I think. I honestly haven't watched much film of NDSU (ok really anything other than ISU highlights....).

I was looking through the NDSU stats, and they seem to a very ground and pound type of a team with about a 2:1 run to pass ratio. Nova's pass defense was made to look like swiss cheese by McBride this weekend, but NDSU doesn't seem to have a standout, conference leading receiver as no one averages over 50 ypg. Nova's run defense is a better than the pass defense, and would certainly have their hands full.

Personally I think the Nova O vs the NDSU D is where the game would be won. Our attack is so balanced and so well rounded it would give the Bison a ton to game plan for. 4 different guys can handle the ball out of the backfield, and after Poppy Livers, our number 2 through whatever receiver is a fluid conglomeration of Burke, Guylas, Horyne, Lincoln, and a few other guys who make me scratch my head when I hear their name called.

As long as it doesn't come down to a GW field goal, I think we'd have a shot. I hope this is the NC game, I'd love to take a whack at NDSU.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/015/orly.jpg

SIUSalukiFan
October 20th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Depends on what you mean by "challenge" but we (Southeastern Louisiana) definitely have the physical pieces to match up. We're big,fast and physical on defense, can play the run and very talented on the back end. Offensively, we hit some snags early in the year while breaking in a new offensive coordinator but have explosive skill guys and starting to hit our stride. We're also very good on special teams though our punt team scuffled this past Saturday vs UCA. Don't get me wrong, NDSU is my No. 1 team and prohibitive favorite to four-peat but to answer the question, we have the horses to make it a competitive game.

Maybe you guys should figure out a way to beat SE Missouri before taking on NDSU.

skinny_uncle
October 20th, 2014, 01:10 PM
At this point I'd say Illinois State, although it will have to wait until the playoffs.

Bisonator
October 20th, 2014, 01:11 PM

You'll learn absolutely nothing about NDSU from the stat sheet. NDSU is no place for a kid to put up gawdy stats. That's one thing that bothers me about the individual awards but it is what it is. At NDSU it's about the team and wins not numbers. With that said NDSU does like to establish the run but they can definitely throw it when need be, they'd just rather pound teams into submission.

skinny_uncle
October 20th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Maybe you guys should figure out a way to beat SE Missouri before taking on NDSU.

xsmileyclapx

Mattymc727
October 20th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I think the first key is to get them out of the dome (But it doesnt look like thats happening).

Also, in regards to Nova's defemse: UNH held W&M to 3 points and 200 yards, Nova gave up 31 and made Cluley look like Peyton Manning.

I know playing in Zable is a tough environment, but that much of a difference?

Can a W&M fan compare Nova and UNH for us? Nova has the better QB, we all know that, but Im not sure we can give the nod anywhere else yet.

Lehigh'98
October 20th, 2014, 01:21 PM
At this point I'd say Illinois State, although it will have to wait until the playoffs.

If the Redbirds can pull out a victory in Carbondale against a healthy Saluki team, that would be very impressive.

tomq04
October 20th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson could beat them.

I am in shock that this was ignored for 4 pages.

Gil Dobie
October 20th, 2014, 01:23 PM
ANY GIVEN SATURDAY!

Grizzlies82
October 20th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I know it's contrary to popular opinion but I believe the most likely to take NDSU down is a healthy E. Washington type team. Few, if any, can grind it out against them. Consequently I suspect the most likely way to beat the Bison is with a quick strike passing offense. This is far from certain, but No Dakota State hasn't faced that type of team during the past few seasons. So it seems plausible that type of team might get it done where others have failed.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I think the first key is to get them out of the dome (But it doesnt look like thats happening).

Also, in regards to Nova's defemse: UNH held W&M to 3 points and 200 yards, Nova gave up 31 and made Cluley look like Peyton Manning.

Can a W&M fan compare Nova and UNH for us? Nova has the better QB, we all know that, but Im not sure we can give the nod anywhere else yet.

NDSU has won 21 straight games outside of the dome. The last time they lost was in 2010 in Cheney. That might not be the formula.

Mattymc727
October 20th, 2014, 01:28 PM
NDSU has won 21 straight games outside of the dome. The last time they lost was in 2010 in Cheney. That might not be the formula.

Solid point, but havent they gone like 500-3 the last 5 seasons or so regardless? That Fargo Dome is quite the homefield advantage at the FCS level.

Id take my chances with the Bison at traveling.

Pard4Life
October 20th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Lehigh!

Bisonator
October 20th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Lehigh!

You're high.

World
October 20th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Agreed

Guaranteed that NDSU will NOT beat Illinois State during the regular season this year

Guaranteed

gotts
October 20th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Agreed

Guaranteed that NDSU will NOT beat Illinois State during the regular season this year

Guaranteed

Well I'll be damned. About the first prediction you'll be correct on!

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Agreed

Guaranteed

I agree with this statement.

GABison
October 20th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I know it's contrary to popular opinion but I believe the most likely to take NDSU down is a healthy E. Washington type team. Few, if any, can grind it out against them. Consequently I suspect the most likely way to beat the Bison is with a quick strike passing offense. This is far from certain, but No Dakota State hasn't faced that type of team during the past few seasons. So it seems plausible that type of team might get it done where others have failed.

Sam Houston State comes to mind for that quick strike offense. I believe they scored one touchdown in two games.

Thumper 76
October 20th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I think that NDSU is a ridiculous version on SDSU, and the teams I fear as a SDSU fan is a team that can jump on us quick. I think the Bison are the same way. The best way to beat them is to make them play catch up with the passing game. Take them out of their element. The problem is thats damn hard to do.

REALBird
October 20th, 2014, 01:59 PM
If the Redbirds can pull out a victory in Carbondale against a healthy Saluki team, that would be very impressive.

That would be EXTREMELY impressive since the game is in Normal. :)

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2014, 02:00 PM
NDSU napping.

Lehigh'98
October 20th, 2014, 02:04 PM

Damn, really thought Carbondale for some reason...Well that changes my pick 35-20 Birds

Lehigh'98
October 20th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Lehigh!

The Lehigh jokes are much funnier when we are good and the fans clamoring for national respect. Makes for nice trolling. This year there's no chest pounding

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2014, 02:08 PM

With a great week of practice, the game could be won in Carbondale

McNeese75
October 20th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Incarnate Word has learned a LOT from studying the film from their first visit and are silently preparing for upcoming coup.

Fear the BIRD!!!

xshakefistx

AshevilleApp2
October 20th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Nobody. Not this year or ever again.

UNHWildcat18
October 20th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Solid point, but havent they gone like 500-3 the last 5 seasons or so regardless? That Fargo Dome is quite the homefield advantage at the FCS level.

Id take my chances with the Bison at traveling.

I agree, while record shows otherwise playing the bison not in Fargo would be the preference of anyone playing the bison regardless of how little effect it's had on outcomes.

Grizzlies82
October 20th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Sam Houston State comes to mind for that quick strike offense. I believe they scored one touchdown in two games.

Sam Houston did mix in the pass but their version of 'quick strike' was primarily via high quality running backs.
Would still love to see how NDSU's defense held up versus an explosive air attack.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Sam Houston did mix in the pass but their version of 'quick strike' was primarily via high quality running backs.
Would still love to see how NDSU's defense held up versus an explosive air attack.

Like Coastal Carolina?

thebootfitter
October 20th, 2014, 02:50 PM
The typical scenario is that once the Bison settle in, the guys in the trenches start to overpower the opposing line and then things start to fall apart for the other team. Doesn't matter how good the quarterback and receivers are if the O line can't protect the quarterback.

With a combination of really solid line play for four full quarters and enough of a running game to keep the D honest, a mobile QB and exceptionally quick and athletic receivers, a high powered offense might be able to score a few on the Bison.

The problem then becomes the other side of the ball. Without a very strong D, the Bison will control the tempo of the game and keep the quick scoring offense off the field.

I'd love to see someone in the FCS truly challenge them again in the playoffs.

They've got some conference business to take care of first though.

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Like Coastal Carolina?

Yeah....I had to go back and look at that one.

Coastal Carolina
C/ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
INT

Ross (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514045/alex-ross)
13/26

Hazel had 8 catches for 91 yards and a TD......Taliaferro only had 53 yards on 11 carries and a TD for the other score.

lionsrking2
October 20th, 2014, 03:07 PM
The typical scenario is that once the Bison settle in, the guys in the trenches start to overpower the opposing line and then things start to fall apart for the other team. Doesn't matter how good the quarterback and receivers are if the O line can't protect the quarterback.

With a combination of really solid line play for four full quarters and enough of a running game to keep the D honest, a mobile QB and exceptionally quick and athletic receivers, a high powered offense might be able to score a few on the Bison.

The problem then becomes the other side of the ball. Without a very strong D, the Bison will control the tempo of the game and keep the quick scoring offense off the field.

I'd love to see someone in the FCS truly challenge them again in the playoffs.

They've got some conference business to take care of first though.

This is why I like our chances of matching up ... we have a mobile QB who can throw ... explosive skill players ... physical offensive line, and we're good on defense and special teams.

Bisonator
October 20th, 2014, 03:12 PM
This is why I like our chances of matching up ... we have a mobile QB who can throw ... explosive skill players ... physical offensive line, and we're good on defense and special teams.

Yeah I thought SELA had the best chance last year but you guys lost at home to UNH that got destroyed in Fargo.

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2014, 03:16 PM
My guesses would be for remaining Valley games: UNI (provided they work their offensive issues out) or Mo State.

As for into the playoffs I think Nova might be the only one.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Yeah....I had to go back and look at that one.

Coastal Carolina
C/ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
INT

Ross (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514045/alex-ross)
13/26

Hazel had 8 catches for 91 yards and a TD......Taliaferro only had 53 yards on 11 carries and a TD for the other score.

They had something like 44 ppg going in to that game. Everybody thought they would finally be able to break the bubble against NDSU. Didn't happen.

lionsrking2
October 20th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah I thought SELA had the best chance last year but you guys lost at home to UNH that got destroyed in Fargo.

Yeah but I still think we matched up better with NDSU than they did. That said, we had way too many injuries, including Bennett, even had we survived the UNH game. We were on bailing wire and scotch tape at that point. Would have been nice to get the opportunity though.

Anovafan
October 20th, 2014, 03:18 PM
I'd put Nova and UNH up against them any day of the week and give them each about a 40-45% chance of winning. They wouldn't be favored but they would have a decent chance, in my humble opinion.

thebootfitter
October 20th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I'll be the first to admit that the only real knowledge I have of the Lions is from box scores and reading AGS. Last year, I figured they may be one of the few teams capable of giving the Bison a good game.

This year, I'm not quite sold yet. I have no doubt they have athletes, including a great QB, but until I see them dominating the teams in front of them week in and week out, I think a little skepticism is in order with regard to putting together a whole game against a team like the Bison.

If anyone has a chance, though, I'd still probably put SELA on the list along with Nova, UNI, SDSU, Illinois State, UNH... EWU with Adams back and a much improved defense...

FargoBison
October 20th, 2014, 03:31 PM
NOVA
EWU
SELA
UNH
CCU
Montana
UNI
Mo State
ISUR

Some teams are listed because they would be coming to the dome for the second time and I think the second time is easier for teams, most aren't equipped to handle it the first time. See GSU 2011 vs 2012.

I listed Mo State because for some reason NDSU never plays well there and UNI has always played the Bison tough.

If EWU had a defense they would be perhaps the most dangerous team, especially on a neutral field but since they don't have that I would have to say Nova or UNH has the best chance.

thebootfitter
October 20th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I'd put Nova and UNH up against them any day of the week and give them each about a 40-45% chance of winning. They wouldn't be favored but they would have a decent chance, in my humble opinion.
You're a bit more optimistic than past performance suggests when plugged into some statistical models.

Massey shows Nova with a 13% chance and UNH with 9%. Sagarin is a little closer to agreeing with you, showing both teams as only roughly 9 point dogs on a neutral field.

Of course, it's about the matchup on the field, and I do think both of those teams would have a better chance than Massey is predicting.

lionsrking2
October 20th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I'll be the first to admit that the only real knowledge I have of the Lions is from box scores and reading AGS. Last year, I figured they may be one of the few teams capable of giving the Bison a good game.

This year, I'm not quite sold yet. I have no doubt they have athletes, including a great QB, but until I see them dominating the teams in front of them week in and week out, I think a little skepticism is in order with regard to putting together a whole game against a team like the Bison.

If anyone has a chance, though, I'd still probably put SELA on the list along with Nova, UNI, SDSU, Illinois State, UNH... EWU with Adams back and a much improved defense...

We played bad early at Tulane and it carried it over into a perfect storm loss at SEMO the following week, but we've been pretty dominant since and starting to hit our stride. We're also not sneaking up on anybody and getting everybody's A effort. NDSU hasn't looked dominant every week either, though we know what happens when the competition ratchets up.

Thumper 76
October 20th, 2014, 03:44 PM
On a serious note, I think Jesus Christ and his 12 disciples coached by Ditka MIGHT have a punchers chance as long as ndsu had an off day.

Bison56
October 20th, 2014, 03:48 PM
On a serious note, I think Jesus Christ and his 12 disciples coached by Ditka MIGHT have a punchers chance as long as ndsu had an off day.

I doubt it, I have seen the last supper picture and those guys wouldn't stand a chance,

thebootfitter
We played bad early at Tulane and it carried it over into a perfect storm loss at SEMO the following week, but we've been pretty dominant since and starting to hit our stride. We're also not sneaking up on anybody and getting everybody's A effort. NDSU hasn't looked dominant every week either, though we know what happens when the competition ratchets up.
Yeah, the best teams always hit their stride at the right time. Otherwise, they wouldn't be the best, right? :-)

I wholeheartedly agree that NDSU hasn't looked dominant in all their games to date. But, they are also starting to hit their stride. I think they've mostly worked out the kinks of having a big chunk of new players and coaches. They are starting to look similar in their dominance now as they did most of last year. (And last year was a special year for the Bison, no matter how you slice it.)

lionsrking2

You're reaching ... plus, they would have to go both ways. xeyebrowx

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2014, 03:51 PM
You're reaching ... plus, they would have to go both ways. xeyebrowx

From what I read, none of them went both ways.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Has anyone kept a list of the teams that claimed to "match up" with NDSU?

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Has anyone kept a list of the teams that claimed to "match up" with NDSU?

nobody ever thinks they cant win a game

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 03:56 PM

I know what you mean. I think NDSU will win every week.

caribbeanhen
October 20th, 2014, 04:01 PM
at this point you have to wonder what this team is still doing in the FCS..... FCS football might as well have the Ebola virus..... if you don't know what I'm talking about just check out the expression on the Bartenders face when you ask him to put the FCS game on .... haha

SIUSalukiFan
October 20th, 2014, 04:05 PM

I knew SIU didn't have a chance of winning in Fargo this year and got ridiculed for saying it before and after the game. xeyebrowx

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 04:10 PM
at this point you have to wonder what this team is still doing in the FCS..... FCS football might as well have the Ebola virus..... if you don't know what I'm talking about just check out the expression on the Bartenders face when you ask him to put the FCS game on .... haha

Student population of 15,000
Stadium capacity of 18,700
120th ranked TV Market

Just a good football program, little else to offer.

FargoBison
October 20th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Student population of 15,000
Stadium capacity of 18,700
120th ranked TV Market

Just a good football program, little else to offer.

None of those are NDSU's problem, geography is NDSU's issue.

NDSU brings the state, which isn't huge but for TV it would be enough considering the ratings NDSU football is getting. You should look at some G5 TV ratings, some games are abysmal. But none of that matters because distance is just too big for a league like say the MAC.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 04:24 PM
None of those are NDSU's problem, geography is NDSU's issue.

NDSU brings the state, which isn't huge but for TV it would be enough considering the ratings NDSU football is getting. You should look at some G5 TV ratings, some games are abysmal. But none of that matters because distance is just too big for a league like say the MAC.

Hawaii?

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2014, 04:31 PM

And NDSU isn't getting everyone's best game? Hell if there is a Team in the FCS that has a Target on their back it is this NDSU squad. Every team we play wants to be the team to end the streak. I laugh at you getting everyone's A game as if you have a 31 game winning streak. Nice try but compared to NDSU the target on your teams back is about the size of the testicles on an ant!

FargoBison
October 20th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Hawaii?

I wonder if the MWC is kicking itself about Hawaii but even there, they are a football only affiliate with the rest of their sports stuck in a California bus league.

I think NDSU could maybe swing that kind of arrangement with the Sun Belt but is the Belt a place we would want to be?

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I wonder if the MWC is kicking itself about Hawaii but even there, they are a football only affiliate with the rest of their sports stuck in a California bus league.

I think NDSU could maybe swing that kind of arrangement with the Sun Belt but is the Belt a place we would want to be?

Hell and NO

FargoBison
October 20th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Another issue NDSU has in going FBS is that we moved up to DI so late in the game.

The MAC is full, the WAC is dead and the MWC seems content(really the MWC raided from the WAC, I can't remember that conference ever adding FCS teams). The only conference looking to grow is the Sun Belt and that is a bad fit for both parties.

I don't really see NDSU going anywhere, since there is nowhere to go.

Grizzlies82
October 20th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Like Coastal Carolina?

Didn't really see Coastal as an explosive air attack. They were quite balanced and used Talaferro (sp?) pounding the ball to open up passing.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Didn't really see Coastal as an explosive air attack. They were quite balanced and used Talaferro (sp?) pounding the ball to open up passing.

Oh yeah, I forgot there was only one in FCS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2014, 04:54 PM
The two best teams in the CAA...

Talley is an awesome coach, arguably the best in FCS. They are very good in the trenches assuming they stay relatively healthy. They have difference makers on offense, especially at QB. They're also a "smart" team....

UNH is another one. I picked a UNH-EWU final and the guys from Durham have not disappointed. They are so due for a run it's ridiculous....

CCU in an intriguing team. They have a little 2011 SHSU in them imo.....

Grizzlies82
October 20th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot there was only one in FCS.

NoDak, not trying to be a smart ass. The actual quality air attack teams are somewhat scarce but there is, and has been, more than one. Living in Montana those nasty buggers at Eastern Washington are the first ones who come to mind. Though as an example, last year's Garaloppolo (sp? how is that for a wild guess at spelling) team would also fit that bill. I don't know that an air attack would take down your beloved Bison but I'd like to see how that match up played out.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2014, 05:04 PM
NoDak, not trying to be a smart ass. The actual quality air attack teams are somewhat scarce but there is, and has been, more than one. Living in Montana those nasty buggers at Eastern Washington are the first ones who come to mind. Though as an example, last year's Garaloppolo (sp? how is that for a wild guess at spelling) team would also fit that bill. I don't know that an air attack would take down your beloved Bison but I'd like to see how that match up played out.

People like to think that NDSU has a stout run defense and that's enough but I would put this defensive backfield against anyone, period. Couple that with an all American pass rusher like Kyle Emanuel and I'm not worried about anyone.

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I knew SIU didn't have a chance of winning in Fargo this year and got ridiculed for saying it before and after the game. xeyebrowx

Lol I meant as a player. I also suppose I've thought I could kick a lot of people's asses who would clean the floor with me.

Also, we are talking about a division of football that may not exist in its current state in 5 years. NDSU will likely go with the UN-BCS schools and fit well

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I take that back, there were 2.5 years in Terre Haute I thought we wouldn't win a game till we fired someone.

even if NDSU played a top 5 team now, you would think "ok, have to play a great game mistake free and we can pull this off". And since Cinderella stories happen it's the same as buying a lottery ticket andlanning on how you are going to,spend the money

Walkon79
October 20th, 2014, 05:18 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/a5/1a58fb78-1e67-58a8-9821-bf2f247b4a85/1a58fb78-1e67-58a8-9821-bf2f247b4a85.image.jpg

xnodx

Grizalltheway
October 20th, 2014, 05:30 PM
ISU is drastically improved this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Catsfan90
October 20th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I think that after the college of faith got stomped by Davidson they are really looking for an FCS redemption win. I think that COF vs NDSU would be a matchup for the ages.

kalm
October 20th, 2014, 05:58 PM
People like to think that NDSU has a stout run defense and that's enough but I would put this defensive backfield against anyone, period. Couple that with an all American pass rusher like Kyle Emanuel and I'm not worried about anyone.

I kind of feel the same way about our offense when we have all of our bullets, including Forte and Cory Mitchell.

We've listened the last 4 years how we don't understand the level of defensive play in the valley and then put up 40 against them in the playoffs.

I realize that NDSU is on a whole other level, but I think so is our offense at full strength. Our D would be the big question but I like our chances of holding NDSU under 30 as much as I like our chances of hanging the mid to high 30's on them.

I think it would be a fantastic game.

JayJ79
October 20th, 2014, 06:17 PM

Al Qaeda?

LehighU11
October 20th, 2014, 06:18 PM
...this board needs more cowbell! ;)

Speaking of cowbell, I'll go out on a limb and say that Mississippi State could challenge NDSU.

Theee Catrabbit
October 20th, 2014, 06:42 PM
If we could get a healthy Sumner back, it's a different story. Lujan has one more game sharpen up and learn, it's his first year in the system. I think it's taking a bit to learn what he can and can't do. But he has been a very serviceable backup QB, and maybe more than likely the starter for next year.
Sumner will not be ready in two weeks, probably not even three.

LeeshaJo
October 20th, 2014, 06:48 PM
At this point the only teams that can challenge NDSU are South Dakota, South Dakota State, University of Northern Iowa, Missouri State and Youngstown State.... a few more will be added later. Beyond that... it is all what ifs and who's its and maybes... Let the games roll. Still say one of these teams is going to knock them off.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I kind of feel the same way about our offense when we have all of our bullets, including Forte and Cory Mitchell.

We've listened the last 4 years how we don't understand the level of defensive play in the valley and then put up 40 against them in the playoffs.

I realize that NDSU is on a whole other level, but I think so is our offense at full strength. Our D would be the big question but I like our chances of holding NDSU under 30 as much as I like our chances of hanging the mid to high 30's on them.

No way would a pass happy EWU with a crappy defense "hang" mid 30s or higher on this defense. I hope this match up happens this year because the Bison defense will embarrass that offense. Plus, VA cannot produce when he is on the sidelines watching the Bison pound EWU's offense.

- - - Updated - - -

It will take a team with a very good defense to have the potential to beat them.

Who are they?

We'll find out.

semobison
October 20th, 2014, 07:06 PM
At this point the only teams that can challenge NDSU are South Dakota, South Dakota State, University of Northern Iowa, Missouri State and Youngstown State.... a few more will be added later. Beyond that... it is all what ifs and who's its and maybes... Let the games roll. Still say one of these teams is going to knock them off.

This here!!^^^^^ NDSU has got to face these teams yet this season. Even after two very solid weeks by the Bison, I will not be surprised if we drop a conference game this year as we did in 2011 and 2012, but we still win the natty, which is all that matters!

frozennorth
October 20th, 2014, 07:08 PM
1996 marshal and 2013 ndsu are the two teams that come to mind.

dudeitsaid
October 20th, 2014, 07:08 PM
I think you have to score first, and have a solid TOP advantage in the first half to be able to hang with them for four quarters. Need to be up around 20 first downs to give the d some rest.

Interestingly, EWU could fulfill this. If EWU could get the ball first, and get a stop or two, and make NDSU play catch up, with VA and Forte both in the game, they could have a chance. If NDSU got the ball first, and established their ball control game plan early, I think EWU would have a really tough time.

That being said, there are multiple teams that could compete. It isn't like they've destroyed every team they've played. That itself shows there is a chance a team playing a great game could come out on top.

That being said, NDSU has lost a game, and still won the NC. I could see the same thing happening this year. A loss in the regular season could provide additional fuel to the fire for a strong playoff run all the way to the NC.

In the playoffs, I'd have to give Illinois State the best chance. They likely know their enemy the best, and would have a slight edge on gameplanning for them. Plus, being conference mates, I'd have to imagine that would provide additional motivation.

Lehigh'98
October 20th, 2014, 07:10 PM
1996 marshal and 2013 ndsu are the two teams that come to mind.

As it stands 2013 NDSU > 2014 NDSU. Even if they win out, the level of dominance LY will be very hard to match.

frozennorth
October 20th, 2014, 07:28 PM
As it stands 2013 NDSU > 2014 NDSU. Even if they win out, the level of dominance LY will be very hard to match.
2014 is not far off 2013 right now, much closer to 2013 than 2012 or 2011. The defense is better (!!!) and deeper. The oline is close and getting closer. Rb is about as good, maybe a hair better. Wr misses smith, but rj has been a reasonable replacement, and vraa has been injured. Wentz is a dude.

You'll all get a reprieve next year when Emmanuel and dudzik leave, but wait till 2016. Ndsu is going to break the fcs the same way it broke d2.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM
2014 is not far off 2013 right now, much closer to 2013 than 2012 or 2011. The defense is better (!!!) and deeper. The oline is close and getting closer. Rb is about as good, maybe a hair better. Wr misses smith, but rj has been a reasonable replacement, and vraa has been injured. Wentz is a dude.

You'll all get a reprieve next year when Emmanuel and dudzik leave, but wait till 2016. Ndsu is going to break the fcs the same way it broke d2.

The Bison defense will take a step back in '15, at least right away but the offense will be better IMO. Johnson, the best O-lineman will be back and almost everyone returns or they split time this year. Vraa might take a medical hardship year.

But by mid season, the defense should be really good.

BisonBohl
October 20th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Honest answer, nobody in the FCS.

Sorry Folks.

Big_Fan
October 20th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I think we are good enough to make NDSU uncomfortable. I don't know if we could win the game, but our DL is good enough to slow down NDSU's run game. If we get pressure with our front 4, we win. The question would be - what can our offense do against the NDSU defense? We have a really good running game, and a dual-threat QB... if we can protect him, we can definitely compete. If he is running for his life,... not so much. If we played our best game, it would be a good game... anything less, and it would be a typical NDSU game.

Barring major attrition, we should be better in 2015 than we are this year.

kalm
October 20th, 2014, 08:40 PM
No way would a pass happy EWU with a crappy defense "hang" mid 30s or higher on this defense. I hope this match up happens this year because the Bison defense will embarrass that offense. Plus, VA cannot produce when he is on the sidelines watching the Bison pound EWU's offense.

- - - Updated - - -

It will take a team with a very good defense to have the potential to beat them.

Who are they?

We'll find out.

1) Our offensive balance is probably more slanted towards running at this point

2) Yes, NDSU could control the clock and possessions but that also limits NDSU's touches and relies upon EWU not scoring quickly.

I don't think NDSU's domination would be a foregone conclusion.

But thanks for your input!

kalm
October 20th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Honest answer, nobody in the FCS.

Sorry Folks.

Thatta kid! Way to win with class!

GoAgs72
October 20th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I've already said that I think it will be difficult for any Big Sky team to get past the second round. Having seen all of the good teams, none are complete with good offense, defense, special teams and coaching. North Dakota State's competition will probably be from Villanova, Illinois State or New Hampshire.

Bisonator
October 20th, 2014, 09:38 PM

EWU was the last team to score 30+ points on NDSU and that was an overtime game. Every Bison fan wanted that rematch in last years Championship. It would have meant more to last years team but I'm sure our guys would be up for it this year too. Bring it! xnodx

VUCats02
October 20th, 2014, 09:44 PM

I think W&M just flat out had a bad game @ UNH. UNH is an incredibly tough place to play at, and things can start to snowball fast. Hard to compare Nova and UNH by looking at 2 completely different games against a common opponent.

That being said, I would give UNH just as good of a shot to take down NDSU this year as Nova has. It really is too bad Nova and UNH can't play each other in the regular season this year. I highly doubt both teams win out to finish the season, but would've been a great game regardless.

Sycamore62
October 20th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Western Illinois already did or did I imagine that?

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 20th, 2014, 09:53 PM

I go into most games thinking we wont win, this is new for us though..............................Montana has zip, zero notta of a chance to beat NDSU anywhere this year. We already proved it.

McNeese75
October 20th, 2014, 09:56 PM

xeyebrowx Seriously, you are worried about that with him? xlolx

thebootfitter
October 20th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Western Illinois already did or did I imagine that?
The final score was only a touchdown difference, and for a good chunk of the game, WIU played tough. Though, it was probably the worst game the Bison will have this year. (We'll see...) And knowing how the Bison play, there wasn't a lot of suspense.

But yes... WIU gave them a good game. They could still be challenged any week in the Valley.

IBleedYellow
October 20th, 2014, 10:08 PM

2) Yes, NDSU could control the clock and possessions but that also limits NDSU's touches and relies upon EWU not scoring quickly.

I have confidence that NDSU would be able to force EWU off the field on more than 5 or more possessions. If their defense can't stop our running game, that will be that many less chances for the offense to really do anything.

This is the reason that I think NDSU vs EWU would be
1) a good matchup
2) a better matchup for NDSU
3) Why I'm confident that NDSU would be able to win.

Also, in the past 3 years we've had MULTIPLE teams with stated "high powered" offenses only score 21 points against us. You have to admit that we can have confidence in a defense that is able to do that to teams.

darell1976
October 20th, 2014, 10:11 PM
UND. Just think about it, a rivalry gets players extra jacked up, and UND's offense is bad, but our defense is a lot improved. I think UND could actually hang with the Bison.

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2014, 10:13 PM
UND. Just think about it, a rivalry gets players extra jacked up, and UND's offense is bad, but our defense is a lot improved. I think UND could actually hang with the Bison.

http://d3819ii77zvwic.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ik49VlPshlPIz.gif

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2014, 10:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

NDSUSR
October 20th, 2014, 10:33 PM

http://www.javierferraz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/facepalm_ernie.jpg

Bison56
October 20th, 2014, 10:34 PM

NDSUSR
October 20th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. :)

dudeitsaid
October 20th, 2014, 10:45 PM
EWU was the last team to score 30+ points on NDSU and that was an overtime game. Every Bison fan wanted that rematch in last years Championship. It would have meant more to last years team but I'm sure our guys would be up for it this year too. Bring it! xnodx

If it didn't snow, it would've been a lot higher. The snow hurt both teams offensive production, but NDSU had no answer for Taiwan Jones in that game, who ran for over 200 yards in the first half. Thankfully, the weather stepped in, or records would've been broken.

We don't have Taiwan Jones, but we have other superstars who are equally as hard to stop. Not to be smug or disrespectful to other teams, but it's usually our own mistakes that stop us, more than the performance of other teams. That being said, in 2010, it was as much the luck of the bounce as anything else that put us all the way through. It's all part of the game.

NY Crusader 2010
October 20th, 2014, 10:46 PM
NDSU '13
Marshall '96
Holy Cross '87

This year I think whoever they face in the NCG will have the best chance because I don't see anyone beating them in the dome. Villanova is the #2 team in the country IMO, closely followed by UNH. My apologies if I'm not giving Montana their due. Haven't been too impressed with them the past couple of years and haven't seen them this year though I know they played NDSU tough. If they don't get upset on the road in MVFC play, I don't think they get touched until maybe Frisco...

NDSUSR
October 20th, 2014, 10:48 PM
If it didn't snow, it would've been a lot higher. The snow hurt both teams offensive production, but NDSU had no answer for Taiwan Jones in that game, who ran for over 200 yards in the first half. Thankfully, the weather stepped in, or records would've been broken.

We don't have Taiwan Jones, but we have other superstars who are equally as hard to stop. Not to be smug or disrespectful to other teams, but it's usually our own mistakes that stop us, more than the performance of other teams. That being said, in 2010, it was as much the luck of the bounce as anything else that put us all the way through. It's all part of the game.

And yet you guys only won due to a goal-line fumble. :)

tomq04
October 20th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Any of the top 5 teams + Montana state imo. With absolutely no substance to back that statement up.

darell1976
And then people wonder why some quit posting anything here. I thought this was AGS not Bisonville 2.0

NDSUSR
NDSU '13
Marshall '96
Holy Cross '87

This year I think whoever they face in the NCG will have the best chance because I don't see anyone beating them in the dome. Villanova is the #2 team in the country IMO, closely followed by UNH. My apologies if I'm not giving Montana their due. Haven't been too impressed with them the past couple of years and haven't seen them this year though I know they played NDSU tough. If they don't get upset on the road in MVFC play, I don't think they get touched until maybe Frisco...

I would rather see NDSU up against Villanova than EWU. NDSU would roll EWU, but nova in January could be a hell of a game.

Lehigh'98
October 20th, 2014, 10:51 PM

They won because they played better that day. Wasnt the fumble only for a tie anyway, no saying NDSU would have won after that. Let it go, you guys sound terrible repeatedly bringing this up.

NDSUSR
October 20th, 2014, 10:52 PM
And then people wonder why some quit posting anything here. I thought this was AGS not Bisonville 2.0

Here let me help you out -> http://www.ncaa.com/sports/icehockey-men/d1

dudeitsaid

True. We played piss poor in the snow. It looked like we were the dome team, though NDSU made several mistakes in the snow as well. Weren't there like 7 fumbles in the 2nd half! I honestly thought we were going to lose, and should've. But that final drive was something else. I don't know if it could be repeated in 100 tries.

All of that being said, NDSU is obviously the best in the FCS. Hence a thread like this. I think EWU would have a shot, but no way I would say it is a given, or even 50/50. But if the game progressed correctly, I think we could make it a heck of an interesting game.

NDSUSR
They won because they played better that day. Wasnt the fumble only for a tie anyway, no saying NDSU would have won after that. Let it go, you guys sound terrible repeatedly bringing this up.

Just messin with you. A win is a win is a win.

tomq04
October 20th, 2014, 10:53 PM
That win was on my birthday, was one hell of a game..just wished I remembered more of it. I just remember being ass cold.

dudeitsaid
October 20th, 2014, 10:54 PM

To be fair, must of us have a lot more losses to complain about...

It's easier for us to move on to the last time we felt like we were shafted.

NDSUSR
October 20th, 2014, 10:54 PM
True. We played piss poor in the snow. It looked like we were the dome team, though NDSU made several mistakes in the snow as well. Weren't there like 7 fumbles in the 2nd half! I honestly thought we were going to lose, and should've. But that final drive was something else. I don't know if it could be repeated in 100 tries.

All of that being said, NDSU is obviously the best in the FCS. Hence a thread like this. I think EWU would have a shot, but no way I would say it is a given, or even 50/50. But if the game progressed correctly, I think we could make it a heck of an interesting game.

I think this thread is completely ridiculous, thus my replies in this thread are mostly ridiculous.

NDSU can lose to any of the teams they play this year. A fumble here, a pick 6 there.... **** happens in football.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2014, 10:59 PM

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q75/fastfordfan/CryingTowel1.jpg

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2014, 11:01 PM

Go post what you said on a similar topic on any fan board (eGriz....Panthernation...heck, SS) and tell me what the reaction is.

darell1976
October 21st, 2014, 01:11 AM
Go post what you said on a similar topic on any fan board (eGriz....Panthernation...heck, SS) and tell me what the reaction is.

So Weber St and WIU hung with NDSU but you can't see UND doing that? September can't come soon enough.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 21st, 2014, 01:22 AM
So Weber St and WIU hung with NDSU but you can't see UND doing that? September can't come soon enough.
If by hang you mean "tailgating" then you probably could.

If you mean hang as in a football game with NDSU............if you consider a 20+ point loss "hanging" then you probably could...........again.

darell1976
October 21st, 2014, 01:23 AM

If you mean hang and in a football game with NDSU............if you consider a 20+ point loss "hanging" then you probably could...........again.

Shouldn't that have applied to the NDSU-WIU game that ended 17-10.

BisonFan02
October 21st, 2014, 01:38 AM

I suppose that is true for you guys....its about the only game you have to look forward to.

darell1976
October 21st, 2014, 04:08 AM
I suppose that is true for you guys....its about the only game you have to look forward to.

We get Craig Bohl's current team and former team next season.

chattownmocs
October 21st, 2014, 05:24 AM
It actually might be chattanooga. Chattanooga has the speed and physicality on D to make it a low scoring war. We would have a very difficult time moving the ball though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 21st, 2014, 06:34 AM

You EWU guys keep referencing the '10 playoff game between EWU/NDSU. That team for NDSU was full of RFR playing and they are all gone now. The year's Bison team is significantly better, esp the defense.

I hope these teams get matched up this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 21st, 2014, 06:37 AM

Any time. Truth hurts.

I'm more concerned about USD - SDSU - UNI - MSU - YSU then I would be about EWU.

IBleedYellow
October 21st, 2014, 06:39 AM
It actually might be chattanooga. Chattanooga has the speed and physicality on D to make it a low scoring war. We would have a very difficult time moving the ball though.

Make sure you actually get into the playoffs and then you can start talking about this game. ;)

NDSU needs to focus on the next games ahead as well.

clawman
October 21st, 2014, 07:02 AM
ISU is drastically improved this year, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Consider yourself and the Grizzlies fortunate you don't have to play them. THE MOST underrated team in all of FCS. Further proof that the polls are a joke.

kalm
October 21st, 2014, 07:49 AM
I have confidence that NDSU would be able to force EWU off the field on more than 5 or more possessions. If their defense can't stop our running game, that will be that many less chances for the offense to really do anything.

This is the reason that I think NDSU vs EWU would be
1) a good matchup
2) a better matchup for NDSU
3) Why I'm confident that NDSU would be able to win.

Also, in the past 3 years we've had MULTIPLE teams with stated "high powered" offenses only score 21 points against us. You have to admit that we can have confidence in a defense that is able to do that to teams.

Absolutely. There's no reason to not have all the confidence in the world for you guys.

Limiting possessions is one way to slow us down and we saw it in the first half of last year's Towson game and this year against Davis where we only had 3 possessions and 9 points. So we know it can be done for at least a half and perhaps the Bison can do it for 4 quarters.

Regarding other high powered offenses you have faced, true, but I'm not sure you've faced any that can hang 49 points and 56 points on Pac-12 teams. A Vernon Adams led offense has been held under 30 points only once in the past two seasons (Toledo). So yes, it can be done, but it's unlikely.

AmsterBison
October 21st, 2014, 08:08 AM
Pretty much every team NDSU faces the rest of the year. South Dakota State, Youngstown State, and Northern Iowa are all ranked, and Missouri State always gives NDSU a tough game - especially at their place.

South Dakota is the only one that can beat NDSU this week though.

Sycamore62
October 21st, 2014, 08:12 AM
If NDSU practices like it's a bye week, that Saturday's team is one who couldn't challenge.

bisonboone11
October 21st, 2014, 08:21 AM
Absolutely. There's no reason to not have all the confidence in the world for you guys.

Limiting possessions is one way to slow us down and we saw it in the first half of last year's Towson game and this year against Davis where we only had 3 possessions and 9 points. So we know it can be done for at least a half and perhaps the Bison can do it for 4 quarters.

Regarding other high powered offenses you have faced, true, but I'm not sure you've faced any that can hang 49 points and 56 points on Pac-12 teams. A Vernon Adams led offense has been held under 30 points only once in the past two seasons (Toledo). So yes, it can be done, but it's unlikely.
NDSU maybe hasn't played a team with as high powered of an offense as EWU, but no team has scored more than 27 on NDSU in 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014 so far. Not saying it can't happen, but it's also very unlikely.

jmufan999
October 21st, 2014, 09:14 AM
i think NDSU would struggle the most against a team just like themselves. assuming the offensive/defensive schemes haven't changed drastically since we played the Bison in '11, i think you need to be a power I-formation team and just get 3-4 yards on first down.... and keep pounding. mix in some play action, lot of pro style stuff. fortunately for them, there aren't a ton of those teams left in college football.

i could also see a team that's nearly the exact opposite of that giving them a little trouble... like EWU. i think that's less likely but possible.

i don't think heavy option teams (especially triple option teams) could do it. NDSU is too disciplined and technically sound on defense. i feel that plays right into their hands.

but most importantly, you need to play NDSU away from Fargo. they're just not going to lose there in the playoffs. so if they end up with the #1 or #2 seed, just go ahead and put them in the national title game. no one's going to beat them there unless they beat themselves.

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2014, 09:25 AM
i think NDSU would struggle the most against a team just like themselves. assuming the offensive/defensive schemes haven't changed drastically since we played the Bison in '11, i think you need to be a power I-formation team and just get 3-4 yards on first down.... and keep pounding. mix in some play action, lot of pro style stuff. fortunately for them, there aren't a ton of those teams left in college football.

i could also see a team that's nearly the exact opposite of that giving them a little trouble... like EWU. i think that's less likely but possible.

i don't think heavy option teams (especially triple option teams) could do it. NDSU is too disciplined and technically sound on defense. i feel that plays right into their hands.

but most importantly, you need to play NDSU away from Fargo. they're just not going to lose there in the playoffs. so if they end up with the #1 or #2 seed, just go ahead and put them in the national title game. no one's going to beat them there unless they beat themselves.

UM runs that style of offense, with the addition of a dual-threat QB some very talented WRs and TEs. But like I said earlier, our OL play was nowhere near the level it needed to be to pound the rock with any kind of effectiveness when we played them last month.

BisonBacker
October 21st, 2014, 09:27 AM

If you mean hang as in a football game with NDSU............if you consider a 20+ point loss "hanging" then you probably could...........again.

xlolxxbowx

aces1180
October 21st, 2014, 09:33 AM

LMFAO...With their offense, UN_ wouldn't even get the ball across the 50 against NDSU's D.

Thanks for the laugh!

deez_na
October 21st, 2014, 09:43 AM

Your offense is solid no doubt but your defense is one of the worst. I'll take our chances at our offense scoring more on your defense than yours will score on our defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Darrell have you been drinking?

chattownmocs
October 21st, 2014, 09:46 AM
I think you have to be better than them in a offense/defense matchup. I don't think any offense, including ewu, is better than their defense.

darell1976
October 21st, 2014, 09:47 AM
Your offense is solid no doubt but your defense is one of the worst. I'll take our chances at our offense scoring more on your defense than yours will score on our defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Darrell have you been drinking?

You don't think UND could hang with NDSU for 4 quarters? NDSU didn't exactly blow out Weber State and Western Illinois. UND put a big scare in Montana who lit up UND for over 50 points a year ago on the same field. God I love how you feel no one ever could beat you guys. xlolx

deez_na
October 21st, 2014, 09:51 AM
You don't think UND could hang with NDSU for 4 quarters? NDSU didn't exactly blow out Weber State and Western Illinois. UND put a big scare in Montana who lit up UND for over 50 points a year ago on the same field. God I love how you feel no one ever could beat you guys. xlolx

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell UND would sniff hanging with NDSU. Did you see what we did to INdiana St and SIU the past 2 weeks? Both those teams would beat UND with ease. Nobody said no-one could beat us. We're or I'm saying UND couldn't. Nothing wrong about that prediction.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 21st, 2014, 09:53 AM

Because no one does. That's why you get a 31 game win streak.

The first of UN_'s 31 most recent wins was September 18, 2008.

bisonboone11
October 21st, 2014, 10:00 AM
Is it possible? Well, look at the name of this website. However, UND would be WAY down the list of teams that have a chance. It is also possible that NDSU could hang with Ole Miss for 4 quarters (AGS). However, if someone posed the question of what teams could challenge Ole Miss, NDSU wouldn't be the first team that I would throw out there. That would just make me look delusional.

BisonBacker
October 21st, 2014, 10:04 AM
Is it possible? Well, look at the name of this website. However, UND would be WAY down the list of teams that have a chance. It is also possible that NDSU could hang with Ole Miss for 4 quarters (AGS). However, if someone posed the question of what teams could challenge Ole Miss, NDSU wouldn't be the first team that I would throw out there. That would just make me look delusional.

Oh stop with that common sense stuff darrel's busy creaming his computer monitor thinking about a game with NDSU xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
October 21st, 2014, 10:08 AM
Again, we'll just wait until next September. Just because their season has gone to **** doesn't mean we have to worry about them because we have a 4 peat to go for way before that.

AmsterBison
October 21st, 2014, 10:08 AM

Well, UND certainly can't beat (or hang with) NDSU until next year. That could be a game since NDSU is losing the heart of one of the best defenses to play FCS football. That said, NDSU fans who think that UND can't hang with the Bison are more in touch with reality than UND fans who think that they're anywhere near NDSU's level. On some future date, NDSU will lose; just as UND's biggest win in DI will someday be an actual W instead of a close L. Now, if you were going to claim that UND could go toe-to-toe with NDSU, you'd be on to something. :)

One play at a time. Lots of teams have hung with NDSU over the past four seasons for varying amounts of time, but only two have translated "hanging with" into W's.

Bison56
October 21st, 2014, 10:10 AM
This thread is full of hopes and dreams from fans of other teams. No one will ever beat the mighty Bison xnodx Deal with it.

semobison
October 21st, 2014, 10:15 AM

Missouri State 38, UND 0!!! Its a good thing you don't play in the MVFC! My guess is you would be 0 and something!

KUlawJack
October 21st, 2014, 10:22 AM
NDSU maybe hasn't played a team with as high powered of an offense as EWU, but no team has scored more than 27 on NDSU in 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014 so far. Not saying it can't happen, but it's also very unlikely.

Jesus Christ, that is an incredible statistic. Simply unreal.

IBleedYellow
October 21st, 2014, 10:26 AM
Jesus Christ, that is an incredible statistic. Simply unreal.

Up until last week no one had scored more than 14 on NDSU in 2014...then our offense finally fumbled and they returned that for 6 :(

So they were able to score 17.

Another fun statistic: NDSU RB John Crockett has more rushing yards than all of NDSU's opponents combined.

KUlawJack
October 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM
Up until last week no one had scored more than 14 on NDSU in 2014...then our offense finally fumbled and they returned that for 6 :(

So they were able to score 17.

Another fun statistic: NDSU RB John Crockett has more rushing yards than all of NDSU's opponents combined.

What are the numbers?

IBleedYellow
October 21st, 2014, 10:37 AM
What are the numbers?

I'm at work and can't pull up the numbers. I know that our opponents have less than 700 and John has something around 725.

EDIT: I was able to find them.

According to GoBison (http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5719) John has 764 yards on 148 carries.
According to Valley Stats (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ndsu.htm) Opponents have 696 on 199 carries.

SIUSalukiFan
October 21st, 2014, 12:23 PM
I'm at work and can't pull up the numbers. I know that our opponents have less than 700 and John has something around 725.

EDIT: I was able to find them.

According to GoBison (http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5719) John has 764 yards on 148 carries.
According to Valley Stats (http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ndsu.htm) Opponents have 696 on 199 carries.

I'm not sure if this is a trick question or puzzle or what but SIU's Ray Agnew has 836 yards on 136 carries through SIU's first eight games.

Trumpster
October 21st, 2014, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure if this is a trick question or puzzle or what but SIU's Ray Agnew has 836 yards on 136 carries through SIU's first eight games.

He means in NDSU's games John Crocket has more yards than Opp. combined yards in those same games.

SIUSalukiFan
October 21st, 2014, 12:38 PM
He means in NDSU's games John Crocket has more yards than Opp. combined yards in those same games.

Was it not worded well or am I an idiot? Both are possibilities.

Bison56
October 21st, 2014, 12:39 PM
Was it not worded well or am I an idiot? Both are possibilities.

Yes

344Johnson
October 21st, 2014, 12:40 PM
Does anyone have a dominant offensive and defensive line? If so... You can win

SIUSalukiFan
October 21st, 2014, 12:55 PM
Yes

I've re-read the original post. It was not worded well. :)

IBleedYellow
October 21st, 2014, 01:06 PM
I've re-read the original post. It was not worded well. :)

There are two posts...combine them and it makes sense.

thebootfitter
October 21st, 2014, 01:47 PM
I would guess that this sort of thing is not all that uncommon. Combine a good rush defense with a solid running back and it probably happens often.

What makes it a little bit more noteworthy is that Crockett splits his carries with two other backs. But he's still the primary.

NDSUSR
October 21st, 2014, 02:57 PM
This year:

Crockett has 776 rush yds. NDSU opponents combined: 696 rush yds

SIUSalukiFan
October 21st, 2014, 03:33 PM
There are two posts...combine them and it makes sense.

If I wanted to work a puzzle I wouldn't be on AGS. xlolx

Jackal
October 21st, 2014, 03:53 PM
Whats sad is you actually believe this

TILIS-BisonFan
October 21st, 2014, 08:46 PM
I would guess that this sort of thing is not all that uncommon. Combine a good rush defense with a solid running back and it probably happens often.

What makes it a little bit more noteworthy is that Crockett splits his carries with two other backs. But he's still the primary.

Crockett has approximately 45% of the NDSU rushing yards but yes with the rush defense NDSU has Im not that surprised

Bisonwinagn
October 21st, 2014, 08:51 PM
The toughest games left to win in the regular season are UNI and Missouri St both on the road. I actually think MSU will be the toughest since it comes after SDSU and UNI and NDSU seems to always stuggle with them.

Nationally I think UNH and Villanova and maybe EWU just because they can score in bunches. Also any MVFC team in playoffs would be difficult. I'm curious people thoughts on how much UNH has improved from last year?

thebootfitter
October 21st, 2014, 09:24 PM
I'm curious people thoughts on how much UNH has improved from last year?
That probably depends at least partially on whether they have all road games.

(I don't think they'd have won the game against the Bison last year, but I do think they'd have had a better showing if they hadn't been traveling three weeks in a row. Including, if I recall correctly, losing a day due to weather somewhere in their travels the week they were preparing for NDSU.)

2011BisonAlumni
October 21st, 2014, 09:35 PM

DB1976,

The point of this topic was WHO WOULD BEAT NDSU THIS YEAR. Not who woud go toe to toe. Not who would hang with them. Not who would play better for a half or quarter. Not who would play them tough. Not who could get a moral victory.

Who would beat them. That is what the topic is about.

WIU played NDSU tough and got a nice moral victory. There have been other teams who came out with a moral victory during the 31 game win steak. We know you love your moral victories at UND and are already projecting a hypothetical playoff birth due to your numerous moral victories, but try to stay on topic and answer with a real response. If you think UND would beat NDSU just say it. Hanging with doesn't count for a whole hell of a lot.

Red & Black
October 21st, 2014, 09:41 PM
Any time. Truth hurts.

I'm more concerned about USD - SDSU - UNI - MSU - YSU then I would be about EWU.

Homer much? You seem to forget that we're the last team to have beaten NDSU in the playoffs. Not saying that the teams are similar now, but if you think a healthy EWU wouldn't give the Bison a game I think you are probably kidding yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbirdz
October 21st, 2014, 09:50 PM
Chatty could beat anybody.

MSUDuo
October 21st, 2014, 09:50 PM
The toughest games left to win in the regular season are UNI and Missouri St both on the road. I actually think MSU will be the toughest since it comes after SDSU and UNI and NDSU seems to always stuggle with them.

Nationally I think UNH and Villanova and maybe EWU just because they can score in bunches. Also any MVFC team in playoffs would be difficult. I'm curious people thoughts on how much UNH has improved from last year?
I was actually going to say Missouri State with the way we've played you over the years but didn't think anyone would take it seriously.

I'm pretty sure I don't take it seriously...

2011BisonAlumni
October 21st, 2014, 10:05 PM
I was actually going to say Missouri State with the way we've played you over the years but didn't think anyone would take it seriously.

Oh I am pretty sure a lot of NDSU fans would take this seriously. If you go on Bisonville, there are a lot of fans who are worried about this game.

I don't know what it is about Missouri State that always causes a tough game for NDSU.

Bisonator
October 21st, 2014, 10:11 PM

You guys scored the most points on us last year. That game may have been even closer if Harris hadn't gotten hurt.

Bisonwinagn
October 21st, 2014, 10:25 PM
Homer much? You seem to forget that we're the last team to have beaten NDSU in the playoffs. Not saying that the teams are similar now, but if you think a healthy EWU wouldn't give the Bison a game I think you are probably kidding yourself.

I think he was just pointing out the remaining schedule not knowing who will be playing in the playoffs.

Twentysix
October 21st, 2014, 10:38 PM
Oh I am pretty sure a lot of NDSU fans would take this seriously. If you go on Bisonville, there are a lot of fans who are worried about this game.

I don't know what it is about Missouri State that always causes a tough game for NDSU.

The defensive scheme has always been tough on us.

AmsterBison
October 22nd, 2014, 07:46 AM

Missouri State almost always gives NDSU fits - lots of good athletes. I watched the first half and a bit of the USD @ Missouri State game (BTW, I wish more MVFC games were on ESPN3) and it looks like they will do the same this year.

Kierra Harris is still as scary as ever on offense.
Caleb Schaffitzel has feasted on NDSU QBs.
Your defensive line looked impressive.
Last year, your WRs looked like All-Pros, but I didn't see much of them because the Bears would run four times and then throw a TD pass (apparently, USD has not seen play action before.)

11/15 is a long way off though.

PAllen
October 22nd, 2014, 12:45 PM
Lehigh - there I said it. :)

Why? Because, nobody, I mean NOBODY thinks they'd have a shot. But be warned, if this team goes on a tear and wins the autobid, they'll surprise a few folks.

Honestly though, Lehigh's going to get killed this week and their season will be over after a snoozer in Yankee Stadium. It's just getting really boring around here for us PL posters.

Bisonator
October 22nd, 2014, 12:47 PM
Lehigh - there I said it. :)

Why? Because, nobody, I mean NOBODY thinks they'd have a shot. But be warned, if this team goes on a tear and wins the autobid, they'll surprise a few folks.

Honestly though, Lehigh's going to get killed this week and their season will be over after a snoozer in Yankee Stadium. It's just getting really boring around here for us PL posters.

Keep the players off twitter. xthumbsupx

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 06:33 PM
I think he was just pointing out the remaining schedule not knowing who will be playing in the playoffs.

I don't think that's what he meant at all.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 22nd, 2014, 06:47 PM

Well since that's exactly the rest of the Bison schedule, that's exactly what he meant.

Homer much?

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 06:51 PM
Well since that's exactly the rest of the Bison schedule, that's exactly what he meant.

Homer much?

Yes.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 22nd, 2014, 06:56 PM
Yes.

Then it must be quite disappointing as 2010 gets farther and farther away.

UNHWildcat18
October 22nd, 2014, 06:58 PM

I think when our running backs get healthy we are better offensively than last year. Also our defense has been playing much better week to week and has developed athletically from last year. I still don't think they are big and strong enough to deal with the bison for 4 quarters yet (not that anyone has been)

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 06:59 PM
Then it must be quite disappointing as 2010 gets farther and farther away.

Not really. There's only one other team in the FCS that has a remotely similar resume as Eastern the past 4 years. Hope that helps.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2014, 07:03 PM

Since you think you know what I mean to say then what is coming now.......

frozennorth
October 22nd, 2014, 07:16 PM
Not really. There's only one other team in the FCS that has a remotely similar resume as Eastern the past 4 years. Hope that helps.

Sam Houston state has done well.

kalm
October 22nd, 2014, 07:17 PM
Since you think you know what I mean to say then what is coming now.......

Nice back peddle off that high horse.

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 07:19 PM
Sam Houston state has done well.

Sam Houston does not have 3 semi-final appearances, nor a NC in the past 4 years. But you already knew that.

Southern Bison
October 22nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
E. Washington...trying to match the Houston Oilers of the '90s...

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 22nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
Nice back peddle off that high horse.

What frickin back peddle? I'm more worried about our 5 conference games that are remaining compared to a game against EWU.

More than likely NDSU will not meet EWU at all this year.

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
E. Washington...trying to match the Houston Oilers of the '90s...

I think it's great that NDSU has won NC's in each of the past 3 years. My point is, we've had a pretty good resume as well. If NDSU's recent success is the only metric out there to define success, then I guess there's only recently been one succesful team in the subdivision?

dewey
October 22nd, 2014, 07:38 PM
The game that concerns me the most the rest of the regular season is UNI. I am sure they, UNI, feels like they should have won last year and being at home with their backs against the wall and wanting revenge.

The other team is at Missouri State because NDSU struggles at their place.

On the national scene I would say Villanova, Eastern Washington and Montana in that order. I would not be concerned with New Hampshire or Coastal Carolina as NDSU completely destroyed them last year and even though this year's team is different they are playing at a level close to last year's team.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Sam Houston does not have 3 semi-final appearances, nor a NC in the past 4 years. But you already knew that.

EWU 2010-2013: 32-11 (.744) in the regular season, 8-2 (.800) in the playoffs, 3 playoff appearances, 1 NC

SHSU 2010-2013: 33-12 (.733) in the regular season, 7-3 (.700) in the playoffs, 3 playoff appearances, 0 NC

NDSU 2010-2013: 37-6 (.860) in the regular season, 14-1 (.933) in the playoffs, 4 playoff appearances, 3 NC

Hate to break it to you but EWU is closer to Sam Houston than they are to NDSU in the last 4 years.

Red & Black
October 22nd, 2014, 08:00 PM
EWU 2010-2013: 32-11 (.744) in the regular season, 8-2 (.800) in the playoffs, 3 playoff appearances, 1 NC

SHSU 2010-2013: 33-12 (.733) in the regular season, 7-3 (.700) in the playoffs, 3 playoff appearances, 0 NC

NDSU 2010-2013: 37-6 (.860) in the regular season, 14-1 (.933) in the playoffs, 4 playoff appearances, 3 NC

Hate to break it to you but EWU is closer to Sam Houston than they are to NDSU in the last 4 years.

When you look at it in terms of overall W/L, yes, we are more comparable to SHSU over the past 4 years. We do have one more semifinal appearance during that time, and a NC. Outside of NDSU, nobody else has done that, which was more my point.

kalm
October 22nd, 2014, 08:17 PM
Good god...this thread smacks of a post selection week discussion. Tons of football left to be played...

Bison56
October 22nd, 2014, 09:46 PM
How about we all just enjoy the season. xnodx

Sycamore62
October 22nd, 2014, 10:35 PM
I'd say at this point, if everyone brings their A game, NDSU would likely beat everyone in the country. The question is when will they mail it in vs a team that takes advantage of it. That is what happened last time that lost

NDSUSR
October 22nd, 2014, 10:39 PM
EWU sucks balls m'kay..

thebootfitter
October 22nd, 2014, 11:12 PM
EWU sucks balls m'kay..
As a fellow Bison fan, I have to chuckle at the level of butthurt so many of us have over that 2010 loss. Granted, they are not a Georgia Southern, and I know everyone wants a chance to avenge that tough loss, but c'mon...

What they've been able to do with their program in a relatively short timeframe is pretty impressive. Maybe they haven't had the same level of success as the Bison, but they are one of the few teams still in the FCS that have been consistently winning at a very high level over the past few years. I think it's safe to say they'd be considered one of the "elite" teams of the FCS.

In a head to head matchup, they would have challenged NDSU every year since 2010 except maybe last year, in my opinion. I don't think the Eagles would have won any of them (too much on the line for the Bison with avenging that loss), but they would have been interesting games, methinks.

kalm
October 23rd, 2014, 08:42 AM
As a fellow Bison fan, I have to chuckle at the level of butthurt so many of us have over that 2010 loss. Granted, they are not a Georgia Southern, and I know everyone wants a chance to avenge that tough loss, but c'mon...

What they've been able to do with their program in a relatively short timeframe is pretty impressive. Maybe they haven't had the same level of success as the Bison, but they are one of the few teams still in the FCS that have been consistently winning at a very high level over the past few years. I think it's safe to say they'd be considered one of the "elite" teams of the FCS.

In a head to head matchup, they would have challenged NDSU every year since 2010 except maybe last year, in my opinion. I don't think the Eagles would have won any of them (too much on the line for the Bison with avenging that loss), but they would have been interesting games, methinks.

You're a good egg, fitter.

thebootfitter
October 23rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
You're a good egg, fitter.
Just in case there be any confusion, though... I'm still not a fan, kalm. ;-)

Now, if the Eagles started consistently putting together a solid defense, I'd probably have a similar level of respect for them as I did for Georgia Southern in the FCS.

I'd still want the Bison to have as many chances as possible to embarrass them on the field.

NDSUSR
October 23rd, 2014, 09:22 AM
Man, you people need to lighten up. A lot.

thebootfitter
October 23rd, 2014, 09:24 AM
Man, you people need to lighten up. A lot.
Sorry.... Didn't catch the purple. ;-) But that sentiment is not uncommon among Bison fans.

kalm
October 23rd, 2014, 09:45 AM
Just in case there be any confusion, though... I'm still not a fan, kalm. ;-)

Now, if the Eagles started consistently putting together a solid defense, I'd probably have a similar level of respect for them as I did for Georgia Southern in the FCS.

I'd still want the Bison to have as many chances as possible to embarrass them on the field.

You bastard!

Rjones61
October 23rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
Weber State, apparently.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 23rd, 2014, 10:10 AM
Weber State, apparently.

yet the only scored once and got beat by 3 scores.

I certainly hope everybody challenges NDSU like that.

PantherRob82
October 23rd, 2014, 11:56 AM
The undefeated Dolphins team?

FargoBison
October 23rd, 2014, 02:09 PM
Weber State, apparently.

Wrong team that starts with a W.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 23rd, 2014, 04:28 PM
yet the only scored once and got beat by 3 scores.

I certainly hope everybody challenges NDSU like that.

Yep

Wonder where the Coyote fan is that said they were going to sweep the Valley this year.....

BEAR
October 23rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
Houston Baptist would probably upset NDSU. I mean when the Bizon players are laid out in pain from laughing so hard the HBs would lay it on them. That or the fact that football is one of those sports that the strangest upsets happen when a really bad team meets a winning team and fans turn on the news the next day in total disbelief.

darell1976
October 23rd, 2014, 10:46 PM
The undefeated Dolphins team?

Well it sure hell isn't the the current Dolphins team. Although Billy Turner against his former team would be an interesting matchup.:D

Drblankstare
October 24th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Some combo of the A Team, The Avengers, East German woman's weightlifting team and Jesus could probably hang for 3 quarters anyway.

Daved
October 24th, 2014, 08:18 AM
The undefeated Dolphins team?Since some of them are now in their 70's I don't think they could stop the Bison.Warfield and Csonka are from my neck of the woods.(NE Ohio).

Daved
October 24th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Yep

Wonder where the Coyote fan is that said they were going to sweep the Valley this year.....Probably behind a broom sweeping his mothers basement.:D

Bison56
October 24th, 2014, 08:21 AM
The Mean Machine.

KUlawJack
October 24th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Since some of them are now in their 70's I don't think they could stop the Bison.Warfield and Csonka are from my neck of the woods.(NE Ohio).

Jim Langer is an SDSU grad, played center on that undefeated team. Member of the Football Hall of Fame. His grandson starts at DT for us currently. He is a sophomore and a big sum bitch.

Jim also remains a big dude himself. He has hands the size of meat hooks and looks like he could still kick someone's ass off the line of scrimmage.

centennial
October 24th, 2014, 12:29 PM
If NDSU is going full throttle it will take a top 30 FBS team to stop us. However, we have a lot of new players and are inconsistent, a couple of turnovers along with a bad day for the team and we could easily lose.

AmsterBison
October 24th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Off of the top of my head: South Dakota, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Missouri State, Youngstown State.

Tribal
October 24th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Villanova, UNH, EWU, or maybe Ill State. That said, I'd take NDSU over any of those teams and all but 40 FBS programs.

#RisingTribe

Hammerhead
October 24th, 2014, 03:39 PM
In NDSU's last loss, the ISU defense scored 2 touchdowns and their offense only managed one field goal. The 2011 loss also featured NDSU on the losing side of the turnover battle, but no defensive points were scored by YSU.

If NDSU is going full throttle it will take a top 30 FBS team to stop us. However, we have a lot of new players and are inconsistent, a couple of turnovers along with a bad day for the team and we could easily lose.

Wilson16
October 26th, 2014, 04:29 PM
If getting beat by 30 is hanging in there then Duryl1769 is right on

TennBison
October 26th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Villanova, UNH, EWU, or maybe Ill State. That said, I'd take NDSU over any of those teams and all but 40 FBS programs.

#RisingTribe
UNH???? Really, you would put a program that got their lunch money stolen and were defeated the second they got on the plane heading west only a year ago. 52-14 and it was not even that close

NDSUSR
October 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Nova and Ill St are the only two mentioned above that will/can hang with NDSU.

KPSUL
October 26th, 2014, 05:39 PM
UNH???? Really, you would put a program that got their lunch money stolen and were defeated the second they got on the plane heading west only a year ago. 52-14 and it was not even that close

I don't believe Tribal was referring to the 2013 UNH Wildcats. Here's a novel idea; for you anyways. College teams actually change from season to season, sometimes significantly.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 26th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I don't believe Tribal was referring to the 2013 UNH Wildcats. Here's a novel idea; for you anyways. College teams actually change from season to season, sometimes significantly.

Is UNH significantly better this year?

NoDak 4 Ever
October 26th, 2014, 06:38 PM

UNH would have be significantly better and NDSU would have to be significantly worse for that margin to get close.

TennBison
October 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM
OH OH me , me , pick me I have my hand up and know the answer..................NO. As a matter of fact, they are not as good as they were last year. This year if they play NDSU the Bison would take their X-Mas presents and UNH would need to fly first class so that they could lay down in their seats because they would be in the fetal position the whole way to Fargo.

Daved
October 26th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Nova and Ill St are the only two mentioned above that will/can hang with NDSU.Citing ancient history their last 2 losses were from teams that shouldn't of been able to hang with them---bottom line-time will tell-I won't be shocked if UNI hung with them or pulled an upset.

Wildcat Pride
October 26th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Does Appalachia and Michigan ring any bells? Hubris is a dangerous thing.

centennial
October 26th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Does Appalachia and Michigan ring any bells? Hubris is a dangerous thing.
Like I have said before we are lucky to be undefeated this season. WIU had our number and we pulled it out. All it will take is a bad game from NDSU and an good one from the opponent. We certainly aren't like 2013, this team needs to work at it to win.

UNHWildcat18
October 26th, 2014, 07:43 PM
OH OH me , me , pick me I have my hand up and know the answer..................NO. As a matter of fact, they are not as good as they were last year. This year if they play NDSU the Bison would take their X-Mas presents and UNH would need to fly first class so that they could lay down in their seats because they would be in the fetal position the whole way to Fargo.

Hey don't be an asshole,last time I checked you haven't watched all of the UNH games, we are better this year than last year, our defense is improving not that they are good enough to wistand the bison. Also why do you think nova is that much better than UNH? We cruised over W&M and they barely got by and let a MEAC team stay around for 3 quarters this week. One more point playing in the Fargo dome is ridiculous, 130 decibel on every play for the other team, I'm not trying to complain that it's unfair and I'm not saying we would win outside of it because I doubt it. Stop being an asshole, we get it NDSU is far above any fcs team. Doesn't mean you have to laugh at all the other teams. Yeah UNH got their asses handed to them so did everyone else last year. Everyone probably will this year. Everyone is just speculating who could actually give them a decent game for a while I doubt anyone thinks these teams has a real shot...

KPSUL
October 26th, 2014, 07:54 PM

Several wins better than at this point in the season, haven't lost an FCS game yet. Wins over two quality conference opponents, W&M at home, Richmond on the road. The last 4 wins have been with the #2 QB playing, the starter is injured but there is very little difference between the two of them. They are more consistent and confident as a team. I don't know how they would do against NDSU, but I would say they are a better team this year. Actually, I didn't mention UNH in this thread. I was just to responding to BisonTenn's juvenile comments. In retrospect I shouldn't have, I suspect Tenn refers to his age when he started posting two years ago.