PDA

View Full Version : Best AA receiver of all time

Delaware Ghostrider II
November 7th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Anyone??

Peems
November 7th, 2006, 09:40 PM
it seems to me like this is a discussion between rice and ball. i give the nod to rice.

Delaware Ghostrider II
November 7th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Same here can anyone argue the point of Rice?: smh :

Mountaineer
November 7th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Rice gets the vote from me.

Peems
November 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM
while ball has more career touchdowns, doesnt rice have more career receiving yards and catches? also rice didnt have ricky santos throwing him the ball.

AZGrizFan
November 7th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Funny then, that Santos isn't mentioned in the greatest QB thread, but Willie Totten is. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

For the record, my vote goes to Rice.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2006, 09:46 PM
1. Rice
2. Ball
3. Fowlkes

BlueHen86
November 7th, 2006, 09:48 PM
My vote is Rice.
Just curious, does anyone know how many games Rice and Ball played in?
Did Rice ever play in the playoffs?

Peems
November 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM
ball will have played in more games by the time his career is up.

Peems
November 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Funny then, that Santos isn't mentioned in the greatest QB thread, but Willie Totten is. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

For the record, my vote goes to Rice.

its hard to say how "great" a quarterback is while he is still playing and is still only a junior.

Retro
November 7th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Mark Duper - Northwestern State.. Although i don't know for sure if NWST was I-AA when he played, early 80's...

FUtilitspurple
November 7th, 2006, 10:20 PM
How about Randy Moss?

Retro
November 7th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Randy Moss really didn't play in I-AA and only played at marshall for 2 years.. In 1996, it was Marshalls I-A transition year and 1997 they were in I-A...

DB_Atlantic10
November 7th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I have the taste for a Rice Ball...... LOLxlolx

DB_Atlantic10
November 7th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Randy Moss really didn't play in I-AA and only played at marshall for 2 years.. In 1996, it was Marshalls I-A transition year and 1997 they were in I-A... But didnt' Marshall win the NC in Mosses Sr. Year.... I watched that game....

Seven Would Be Nice
November 7th, 2006, 11:27 PM
TOxlolx xlolx xlolx xidiotx xidiotx

nickderiso
November 7th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Did Rice ever play in the playoffs?

He had nine receptions for 155 yards and one score against eventual I-AA runner up Louisiana Tech in the 1984 playoffs.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM
TOxlolx xlolx xlolx xidiotx xidiotx

Oh the son we'd rather forget.....

Chi Panther
November 8th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Rice then Ball....

But I have to put Dedric Ward and Wayne Crebet (spelling) up there in the TOP 10.....

Mr. C
November 8th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Randy Moss really didn't play in I-AA and only played at marshall for 2 years.. In 1996, it was Marshalls I-A transition year and 1997 they were in I-A...
I guess it didn't count in 1996 when Randy Moss led Marshall to a 15-0 record, the Southern Conference championship and the I-AA title. In my book, Rice and Moss have been the best I-AA receivers, with Ball at No. 3. Owens was a great talent at UTC, but he played on terrible teams and really didn't establish himself. But you knew watching him, he would be great in the NFL. Boy did he have some fun wars with Matt Stevens, the future NFL DB from App State.

catbob
November 8th, 2006, 01:03 AM
What about Finneran?

grizwin
November 8th, 2006, 01:51 AM
But didnt' Marshall win the NC in Mosses Sr. Year.... I watched that game....

YES MOSS won national title with Kresser at QB. 1996
1997 was MOSS last year thier first year in the mac

monmouthhawk
November 8th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Jerry Rice hands down. Ball benefits from New Hampshires offensive style. Rice, as we all know, set the bar as the greatest receiver in football history.

Dabnus Brickey
November 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
I'd have to say Rice. I saw him in person against the Atlanta Falcons, nice guy too.

SunCoastBlueHen
November 8th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Rice has to be #1. No one has mentioned John Taylor from Del. State. I would have him at least in the top five.

mcveyrl
November 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I agree with Rice at #1, but do we have a per game comparison of Rice and Ball?
i.e. TDs/game, yds/game, etc.

89Hen
November 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Rice

My favorite Hen receiver of all time was James Anderson. He only played two years at UD and just missed playing with Gannon and was in an offense that ran the ball a lot. Had he played with a Gannon or Nagy and played four years, he would hold every Hen record for receiving.

monmouthhawk
November 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I agree with Rice at #1, but do we have a per game comparison of Rice and Ball?
i.e. TDs/game, yds/game, etc.

Rice (I can't find a good set of stats for Rice, but here is a blurb):
Widely regarded as one of the greatest wide receivers in football history on any level, Rice will join his teammate Willie Totten as both ends of the famed Delta Devils "Satellite Express" will now be members of the College Football Hall of Fame. A two-time First Team All-America selection, Rice finished ninth in the 1984 Heisman Trophy voting as he set numerous Division I-AA records including single-season receptions (103) and receiving yards (1,450). A three-time First Team All-Conference pick, Rice was named the 1984 SWAC Player of the Year and Offensive Player of the Year for the State of Mississippi. A member of the Super South 11, he shattered school records with 310 career receptions, 4,856 receiving yards and 51 touchdowns.

David Ball:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/104869
Games Receptions Yards Yds/per game Avg per rec Long TD
44 278 4359 99.1 15.5 219 56

Jackluv
November 8th, 2006, 10:25 AM
rice than moss

GannonFan
November 8th, 2006, 11:08 AM
rice than moss

Agreed - Rice and Moss easily about all others. Moss was just toying with people when he was at Marshall, he was a freak.

LacesOut
November 8th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Rice.

UNHFan99
November 8th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Moss was a transfer in though he was a 1A guy that couldnt stay out of enough trouble to stay at Notre Dame or Florida State and had a decent Quarterback throwing to him too. Wasnt it Pennington? I think the vote goes Rice, Ball , and then Moss. Simply because Moss was forced into 1AA and only played two years.

BillLuc1982
November 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Jerry Rice, 'nough said!

mcveyrl
November 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Moss...couldnt stay out of enough trouble to stay at...Florida State

That, ladies and gentlemen, is saying something.

YoUDeeMan
November 8th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I'd have to say Rice. I saw him in person against the Atlanta Falcons, nice guy too.

Atlanta was so bad they played in I-AA? xlolx xlolx

UNHknowledge
November 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Best Reciever in I-AA history...what a silly question. Rice is arguably the greatest reciever in NFL history. This is like asking, "Who is the greatest Chicago Bull of all time."
I love Dave Ball and he is in the top 3 of I-AA history but Rice is it.

Peems
November 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Moss single handily defeated the griz in 96. however some griz receivers were never too bad. joe douglass and of course jimmy farris. etu molden wasnt too bad either, and hes doing well in the arena league.

Dallas Demon
November 8th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Mark Duper - Northwestern State.. Although i don't know for sure if NWST was I-AA when he played, early 80's...

Northwestern was I-AA at the time he played, we were I-A for 2-3 years in the mid-70s before I-AA was formed. Mark "Super" Duper was definitely one of the all-time great receivers to come out of I-AA and along with Mark Clayton and was the main reason Dan Marino got all of his yards passing.

However, Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver in NFL history so there's not much of an argument there.

If the question is who was the greated I-AA receiver while in college, that's an entirely different subject that is subject for debate.

Retro
November 8th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I guess it didn't count in 1996 when Randy Moss led Marshall to a 15-0 record, the Southern Conference championship and the I-AA title. In my book, Rice and Moss have been the best I-AA receivers, with Ball at No. 3. Owens was a great talent at UTC, but he played on terrible teams and really didn't establish himself. But you knew watching him, he would be great in the NFL. Boy did he have some fun wars with Matt Stevens, the future NFL DB from App State.

I didn't say it didn't count.. I'm just emphasizing the fact he only played in I-AA one year and i have a hard time giving a I-A transfer who only played one year the title of greatest I-AA WR ever regardless of what they did stat wise...

UNHFan99
November 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
i have a hard time giving a I-A transfer who only played one year the title of greatest I-AA WR ever regardless of what they did stat wise...

Agreed

PSUVikings
November 8th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Jerry Rice by a mile

FUtilitspurple
November 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I didn't it didn't count.. I'm just emphasizing the fact he only played in I-AA one year and i have a hard time giving a I-A transfer who only played one year the title of greatest I-AA WR ever regardless of what they did stat wise...

OK that's fair enough, but aren't people discussing David Ball as possibly the GREATEST wide receiver ever simply because of his stats. I've never seen him play, but I doubt he dominates teams single-handedly the way Moss did in his 1-2 years (whatever it was) in 1-AA. I mean the guy was unstoppable. It seems to me like Ball is a very good receiver who is a beneficiary of a pass-heavy offense. He's a great receiver don't get me wrong, but greatest ever or even top 2 or 3 is a pretty high classification. Jerry Rice is the greatest ever regardless, so Moss vs. Ball is a pointless argument.

XJMU84
November 8th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Jerry Rice - Best 1-AA and NFL receiver ever. :hurray:

John Taylor (also of San Francisco) was another good one from 1-AA :nod:

Gary Clark (JMU/Jacksonville Bulls - USFL /Washington Redskins/Arizona Cardinals) should be mentioned

-VA college player of the year, 1982
-Averaged 18.5 yards per reception during 3 year college career (155 catches for 2863 yards)
-Almost single handedly beat UVA in 1983 with two long punt returns for TD's (87, 89)
-One of the toughest and best blocking receivers there has ever been (and only 5'9", 175lbs)
-1st Round draft choice by USFL's Jacksonville Bulls after junior year (played 2 seasons)
- Played in two Super Bowls for Washington Redskins, 11 total seasons in the NFL
- 4 time Pro Bowl selection
- NFL #'s - 699 catches for 10,856 yards and 65 TD's :thumbsup:

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2006, 09:22 PM
EDDIE CONTE.....MAY NOT HAVE DUH EYE BULGIN' NUMBERAHS...(LIKE BALL & RICE)...BUT MAN.....COULD HE LAY OUT...FO' DUH BLADDERAH!..........AWK!

Retro
November 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Some Stats to chew on...........

Career Receptions (thru 2005)

1. Jacquay Nunnally - Florida A&M, 317
2. Stephen Campbell - Brown, 305
3. Jerry Rice - Miss Valley st., 301
4. Javarus Dudley - Fordham, 295
5. Chas Gessner - Brown, 292

Career Touchdowns (thru 2005)

1. Jerry Rice - Miss Valley st., 50
2. Eric Kimble - Eastern Wash., 46
3. David Ball - New Hampshire , 45
4. Randy Moss - Marshall , 44 (19 in I-AA IN 1996.)
5. Rennie Benn - Lehigh, 44

Career Yards (thru 2005)

1. Jerry Rice - Miss Valley st., 4,693
2. Jacquay Nunnally - Florida A&m, 4,239
3. Javarus Dudley - Fordham, 4,197
4. Eric Kimble - Eastern Wash., 4,140