PDA

View Full Version : Big South Week 9

knucklehead
October 19th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Big South action is heating up. Although it may now be a 2 team race with CSU losing to Presby. This week is the first conference game for Liberty, Monmouth, and Gardner Webb.

Monmouth 5-1 @ Presbyterian 4-3 Could be an interesting game. Most of us still don't believe Presby, but Monmouth is a big unknown as well. Monmouth is coming off a bye week while Presby is coming off a huge 7-3 win vs CSU.

Gardner-Webb 4-3 @ Liberty 4-3 Injuries are stacking up for GW. They struggled mightily vs VMI and only won by 1 td in double OT. Liberty has had some defensive issues, but could have some big players back for this one. Should be another great crowd at LU after the App win. Liberty is coming off the bye week and hopes to keep the offense rolling.

Charleston Southern 5-2 @ Coastal Carolina 7-0 I was concerned about CSU's SOS of 78 as of last week and what that meant with their record. I'm not sure if we have a really good answer after that 7-3 loss to the Hose or if they just got out schemed. We shall see for sure this week. Coastal is coming off the bye week with a 7-0 record and wanting to keep the momentum rolling at home. Will it be a close one, or a CCU blow out?

rokamortis
October 19th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Big South action is heating up. Although it may now be a 2 team race with CSU losing to Presby. This week is the first conference game for Liberty, Monmouth, and Gardner Webb.

Monmouth 5-1 @ Presbyterian 4-3
Gardner-Webb 4-3 @ Liberty 4-3
Charleston Southern 5-2 @ Coastal Carolina 7-0

Between Monmouth and Coastal? I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, I think it is too early to call it 2 horse race. There could be a few teams with one loss and end up co-champions, an all too familiar occurrence. I'm hoping Coastal just doesn't let that happen and wins out, but i know you guys hope the same with Liberty as does Monmouth and GWU for each of their teams.

One of the challenges of being ina small conference. As other teams start to see their conference picture shape up, ours is just beginning.

knucklehead
October 19th, 2014, 08:08 PM
You are right, it is too early to know for sure, but that is MHO. Check above as I added some simple previews.

OL FU
October 20th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Are we picking.

PC - every week they make losing to them not look quite so bad.
Liberty -
CCU.

Libertine
October 20th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Fun fact: in each of their D1 wins (Furman, Western Carolina and Charleston Southern), PC has scored only one offensive touchdown per game. In their one FCS loss vs Coastal, they scored four.

OL FU
October 20th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Fun fact: in each of their D1 wins (Furman, Western Carolina and Charleston Southern), PC has scored only one offensive touchdown per game. In their one FCS loss vs Coastal, they scored four.

No doubt. When you look at PC's schedule and record it has been something of a head shaker. I wasn't real surprised (well I was surprised they beat us) that offensively we didn't do much. But last weekend's game against Charleston (at least the low score) was puzzling.

bjtheflamesfan
October 20th, 2014, 08:40 AM
This weekend will really answer the 2 horse race question (or begin to at least). a CSU win in Conway could really muddle things. with the Monmouth-Presby game probably serving as an eliminator as well. (Who would have figured that before the season) aLiberty win coupled with a CSU win probably puts the Flames in the driver's seat with the Bucs coming to Lynchburg along with Monmouth

knucklehead
October 20th, 2014, 08:53 AM
How on earth? So what you are saying is CCU's defense is bad. Haha (Ducks)

rokamortis
October 20th, 2014, 08:59 AM
How on earth? So what you are saying is CCU's defense is bad. Haha (Ducks)

That's one way to look at it. But someone on our site had a good response to my question of a similar nature - PC was able to go up and sit on the ball with CSU and guessing the others. With Coastal they had to change their offense and try and keep up.

knucklehead
October 20th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Good point. Should be interesting. Liberty did a lot of that vs App, slow down and run to keep their o off the field. I'm still not sure how I feel about Monmouth based on who they have played, and not sure if Saturday will clear that up.

knucklehead
October 20th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Another interesting piece of info is SOS. Warrennolan.com has the following:
#2 Presbyterian
#26 Liberty
#44 Coastal
#79 Charleston So.
#109 Monmouth
#112 Gardner Webb

bjtheflamesfan
October 20th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Saturday won't answer how good they are on either side, but the loser of that game between Presby and Monmouth probably is eliminated from the race for the autobid.

knucklehead
October 20th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I just don't buy Monmouth at all. Maybe I'm underestimating them, but not only is their SOS 108, but the combined record of their opponents is 9-28. I think the best they do in the Big South is 2-3, but they could prove me wrong.

rokamortis
October 20th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I just don't buy Monmouth at all. Maybe I'm underestimating them, but not only is their SOS 108, but the combined record of their opponents is 9-28. I think the best they do in the Big South is 2-3, but they could prove me wrong.
They are winning the vast majority of games that they have in front of them. I'll give them respect / benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

knucklehead
October 20th, 2014, 12:27 PM
They are winning the vast majority of games that they have in front of them. I'll give them respect / benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
Oh, I agree with that, just not expecting their future to be as good.

knucklehead
October 21st, 2014, 11:40 AM
I'm also curious to get 2 opinions re CSU. What on earth happened (3pts?) Vs Presby? And do they have a shot to rebound vs CCU?

bjtheflamesfan
October 21st, 2014, 11:54 AM
I think the CCU game could go one of three ways:

1) THhe Bucs are still hung over from the loss and CCU pounds them wanting to make a statement after last year

2) the bucs start out flat but lose late after getting the wheels gripping in the second half
3) the bucs circle the wagons and pull the upset and throw the Big South title race into a spin cycle

rokamortis
October 21st, 2014, 12:34 PM
I think the CCU game could go one of three ways:

1) THhe Bucs are still hung over from the loss and CCU pounds them wanting to make a statement after last year

2) the bucs start out flat but lose late after getting the wheels gripping in the second half
3) the bucs circle the wagons and pull the upset and throw the Big South title race into a spin cycle

No way the Bucs come out flat vs Coastal. They tend to play up for our games. What will really matter is how Coastal comes out.

Last year Coastal came out flat and the Bucs had a great gameplan and execution. By the time we decided we wanted to play a football game the Bucs just sat on the ball, grinded it out, and we couldn't get a stop.

We've come out the gates slow most of the season, but I'm hoping it was due to who we were playing - most of the teams just weren't that exciting. I'm expecting Coastal to come out motivated on Saturday to get some revenge for last year.

So I see it being like 1 of 2 games: Like Furman where it is a battle on both sides and could be anyone's game? Or like Presby who fought tough but ultimately couldn't hang.

knucklehead
October 22nd, 2014, 10:01 AM
Big South #2 conference in GPI for 2nd straight week ahead of Big Sky, CAA, SoCon, etc.

knucklehead
October 22nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Picks:
Monmouth 5-1 @ Presbyterian 4-3 - Presby (yea I'll go out on that limb not buying Monmouth's sos)

Gardner-Webb 4-3 @ Liberty 4-3 Liberty by 2 scores.

Charleston Southern 5-2 @ Coastal Carolina 7-0 - Coastal by 2 scores

knucklehead
October 23rd, 2014, 11:36 AM
Bump. Any picks?

jmrepak
October 23rd, 2014, 02:16 PM
Bump. Any picks?
Monmouth - I don't believe Monmouth is as good as their record, but Presby isn't either and their highest scoring FCS game was against us at 28. Monmouth has only scored less than that twice. These teams are pretty equal in my opinion, but I think Monmouth's offense will outpace Presby's
Liberty
Coastal

CoastalFan2005
October 23rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
Bump. Any picks?

We've been doing a weekly Big South Pick 'Em on CoastalFans (http://www.coastalfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=57770.0) all season and for the past several years. Feel free to join us anytime.

knucklehead
October 23rd, 2014, 02:29 PM
Then I'd have to join and post bad things. Haha I kid I kid. I think I'm already a member.

Libertine
October 23rd, 2014, 02:48 PM
Monmouth - I don't believe Monmouth is as good as their record, but Presby isn't either

This.

kdinva
October 24th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Presby 23; Monmouth 17
CCU 35, CSU 20
Liberty 38; Gard-Webb 24

bjtheflamesfan
October 24th, 2014, 11:02 AM
We've been doing a weekly Big South Pick 'Em on CoastalFans (http://www.coastalfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=57770.0) all season and for the past several years. Feel free to join us anytime.

Ive been part of it and it is a total blast! actually won in 2012 (much to the chagrin and consternation of the chants fans there lol)

jmrepak
October 25th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Ive been part of it and it is a total blast! actually won in 2012 (much to the chagrin and consternation of the chants fans there lol)
Hey BJ, tried to send you a PM but I don't have anything in my sent folder so I don't know if it went through. I'm glad you have fun with us in the coastalfans Pick'em. If your tag there is flamesfan710, you didn't pick the CSU v CCU game. Try to fix it before the games start. You're near the top of the board and I'd hate to beat you on a technicality. I'm YoungAlum07 over there.

bjtheflamesfan
October 25th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks bud...I got it fixed

knucklehead
October 25th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Pick csu BJ

CSU18
October 25th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I believe you can now officially call the Big South a 2 horse race now. Hats off to the Chants.

knucklehead
October 25th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Presby is still is it and I wish I was kidding. Haha

knucklehead
October 25th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I know Liberty is already in the beat poll, but should move into the TSN poll this week. Coaches poll is doubtful since it makes no sense.

Fellow voters....what is you opinion of 5-3 Presby ?

citdog
October 25th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I know Liberty is already in the beat poll, but should move into the TSN poll this week. Coaches poll is doubtful since it makes no sense.

Fellow voters....what is you opinion of 5-3 Presby ?

PC was #25 in both of my polls last week.

bjtheflamesfan
October 25th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Next week is a chance for a statement game for PC, more so than the CSU game I think. Liberty has been at or part of the top of the Big South pretty much every year since 2007 and to be in the discussion you gotta beat them (which PC did in Clinton in 08). A win in that matchup does 2 things: 1) likely locks them in at #2 in the conference for 2014 (since CCU has the head to head) 2) Officially kills Liberty's playoff chances once again

CSU18
October 25th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I really don't think Presbyterian is as good as y'all are giving them credit for. They're good - I'm not saying they're not, but not sure they're too 25 material. Yeah they beat WCU, Furman, and CSU, but that's proven to be mediocre wins.

Southern Bison
October 25th, 2014, 08:43 PM
My opinions from the Presbyterian game today:

They play a conservative game offensively...very few shots downfield today. Play was a bit sloppy for both teams with self drive-killing penalties.

If Presby can tighten up the mistakes and actually extend the opponent's defense past 5 yds of the LOS, I can see them making some noise and at least becoming a playoff bubble team.

SOS (#2) is due to 3 FBS games this year including #3-ranked Ole Miss.

cjsweat
October 26th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Presby's impressive start really doesn't surprise me but I am disappointed with Monmouth. Coming off three big wins and a bye week, yet they score 12? It's fun to see the Big South be so competitive this year. That CSU - Monmouth game is going to be fun to watch too.

Also, Liberty out-gained Gardner Webb 499 yards to 56 yesterday. That's ridiculous.

knucklehead
October 26th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I just don't see Presby being able to limit LU's offense enough to win, and if what we saw yesterday is for real, they won't score many points on LU's d either. But who knows. LU has tripped in Clinton before.

I said all along that Monmouth was overrated, hadn't played anyone. Said similar things about CSU, but I think they are better.

cjsweat
October 26th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Presby did spoil WCU earlier in the season too. They have talent at places and find ways to limit opponents. I think it will be similar to GW, where Presby won't be able to generate drives. But LU always has one WTF game and they've played us close before.

rokamortis
October 26th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I just don't see Presby being able to limit LU's offense enough to win, and if what we saw yesterday is for real, they won't score many points on LU's d either. But who knows. LU has tripped in Clinton before.

Playing well against a bad team doesn't really tell you much.

PC is improved and catching people off guard - sooner or later someone is going to catch on.

knucklehead
October 26th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Picks:
Monmouth 5-1 @ Presbyterian 4-3 - Presby (yea I'll go out on that limb not buying Monmouth's sos)

Gardner-Webb 4-3 @ Liberty 4-3 Liberty by 2 scores.

Charleston Southern 5-2 @ Coastal Carolina 7-0 - Coastal by 2 scores
Just wanted to gently remind everyone that I picked Presby. Haha. And the other 2 as well.

rokamortis
October 26th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Just wanted to gently remind everyone that I picked Presby. Haha. And the other 2 as well.

That was a good call. I got duped by Monmouth.

knucklehead
October 26th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I was pretty sure they were overrated, but still don't have a great read on Presby. I'll start the new thread for this week's games tomorrow

bjtheflamesfan
October 27th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Now now knuckle...as Christians we are supposed to practice humility... ;)