PDA

View Full Version : PL Season Awards

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 7th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Any guess's for who's going to capture the awards for the season?

Offensive POY- either Randolph (HC) or Threatt (LU)
Defensive POY- No idea
Coach of the Year- Gilmore or Coen??

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Coen is definitely coach of the year whatever happens.

Right now, I'd put Randolph as Offensive POY.
On defense, I'd say Eric Rakus of Lehigh. He's been dominating the last month.

cosmo here
November 8th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Offensive - Dominic Randolph . . HC asks him to do everything in its offense

Defensive - Marcus Taylor . . hands down the best defensive player I've seen in the league this year . . don't have his stats since they don't come up on Fordham's page and the PL stats aren't updated yet, but he's around 11 tackles per game, more than 10 for a loss, 4 or 5 sacks, 4 FF, 4 FR, 2 Int. and a FR TD last week against Lafayette

Coach - Gilmore, Tavani or Coen, whoever gets the autobid . . if HC loses this week at Colgate, Lafayette beats Lehigh and goes to the playoffs, I don't see how Coen gets it definitely over Tavani . . if it's a three-way tie and HC goes at 8-3, 5-1, I don't see how Gilmore doesn't get it after losing every single skill position guy and putting together that kind of season . . if Lehigh runs the table in the league, or goes to the playoffs with one loss somehow, it's Coen.

LUHawker
November 8th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Offensive - Dominic Randolph . . HC asks him to do everything in its offense

Defensive - Marcus Taylor . . hands down the best defensive player I've seen in the league this year . . don't have his stats since they don't come up on Fordham's page and the PL stats aren't updated yet, but he's around 11 tackles per game, more than 10 for a loss, 4 or 5 sacks, 4 FF, 4 FR, 2 Int. and a FR TD last week against Lafayette

Coach - Gilmore, Tavani or Coen, whoever gets the autobid . . if HC loses this week at Colgate, Lafayette beats Lehigh and goes to the playoffs, I don't see how Coen gets it definitely over Tavani . . if it's a three-way tie and HC goes at 8-3, 5-1, I don't see how Gilmore doesn't get it after losing every single skill position guy and putting together that kind of season . . if Lehigh runs the table in the league, or goes to the playoffs with one loss somehow, it's Coen.

I think Randolph is the odds-on favorite.

We LU folks haven't yet seen Taylor, but his stats are impressive.

Coach still seems up in the year. I know you're a LC guy Cosmo, but even if LC gets to the playoffs, I don't think he wins that award with a 6-5 record. If LC goes to playoffs, its Gilmore. If HC goes to playoffs its Gilmore. If LU goes to playoffs its Coen.

letsgopards04
November 8th, 2006, 08:53 AM
How old is Threatt? He seems like he has been there forever. I think he was a freshman when I was back in 2000. Separate from that. Randolph for OPOY. I think Tavani should be COY even if they are co champs b/c even though he frustrates me, after losing so many on that defense and still having a competitive team is amazing and after starting 2-5 and potentially finishing 4-0 to make the playoffs would be incredible.

cosmo here
November 8th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I think Randolph is the odds-on favorite.

We LU folks haven't yet seen Taylor, but his stats are impressive.

Coach still seems up in the year. I know you're a LC guy Cosmo, but even if LC gets to the playoffs, I don't think he wins that award with a 6-5 record. If LC goes to playoffs, its Gilmore. If HC goes to playoffs its Gilmore. If LU goes to playoffs its Coen.

I don't know, if Lafayette goes to the playoffs that means HC lost to both Lehigh and Colgate after beating Lafayette and controlling its own destiny . . that puts HC at 7-4 with OOC wins against Marist, Brown and Dartmouth.

or Lafayette at 6-5 with OOC losses to Penn, Princeton, Yale and Harvard, with the automatic bid, the third straight playoff appearance, third straight PL championship, and winning the last four games to get in.

if Lehigh wins out, there's no argument.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I think Coen is Coach of the Year barring a loss to Fordham. Even if we lose to that school from Easton, he will have guided Lehigh to a co-championship his first year in the league, no mean feat.

I mention Rakus for Defensive POY simply because I have a real hard time picturing Lehigh winning the league and not having any POYs. Although LB Marcus Taylor is very very impressive, his team is 2-7 going into this week. It's hard to put a guy from a 2-7 team as the POY. SS Geoff Bean and LB Mike Galliugh have the same problem on 3-6 Colgate. Dominating players, but on teams with a losing record.

If that school from Easton wins or gets a co-championship in the PL, maybe DE Marvin Snipes gets it.

I still think Holy Cross QB Dom Randolph is going to win the offensive POY come what may.

cosmo here
November 8th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I think Coen is Coach of the Year barring a loss to Fordham. Even if we lose to that school from Easton, he will have guided Lehigh to a co-championship his first year in the league, no mean feat.

I mention Rakus for Defensive POY simply because I have a real hard time picturing Lehigh winning the league and not having any POYs. Although LB Marcus Taylor is very very impressive, his team is 2-7 going into this week. It's hard to put a guy from a 2-7 team as the POY. SS Geoff Bean and LB Mike Galliugh have the same problem on 3-6 Colgate. Dominating players, but on teams with a losing record.

If that school from Easton wins or gets a co-championship in the PL, maybe DE Marvin Snipes gets it.

I still think Holy Cross QB Dom Randolph is going to win the offensive POY come what may.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you're overlooking Gilmore if there's a three-way tie and HC goes to the playoffs. To me, what he's done is more impressive than what Coen has done with Lehigh this year - losing his three-year starter at QB, the Offensive and Special Teams Player of the Year in Silva, his top two WR and first team all-league tight end, along with Cannon at center . . and put together the top offense in the league at this point. If they beat Colgate and Lafayette beats Lehigh, I think he gets it.

Last year Lafayette won the co-championship and didn't get anything - offense, defense, special teams or coach of the year. That's not a prerequisite.

Snipes hasn't played the last two games, and hasn't been that dominant anyways. Andy Romans has been the best defensive player by far, but he's only a sophomore and doesn't have "impact" plays - just lots and lots of tackles that other guys haven't been able to make.

even though Fordham is 2-7, Taylor is just dominant, like Nepa-Bennett-Costanzo dominant. I was much more impressed with him than Gallihugh at Colgate.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Who did get it last year? Nepa on defense... and Saraceno on offense.. and Silva on special teams... but who got COY? Biddle?

It sounds like the question should be: Who do you think is going to win the PL? Because everyone's answers are a little different if it's a two-way tie, a three-way tie, or Lehigh wins the whole thing.

What is certain is Holy Cross is guaranteed no worse than a 7-4 record, so it seems likely that a Crusader will get something, and with their incredible offense, Randolph seems like a good choice.

Rakus is good. You'll see. :rotateh: xsmileyclapx

cosmo here
November 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
last year was Silva on Offense and Special Teams, Nepa on Defense and Biddle Coach of the Year . . leaving the Leopards in the dark. I think the toss-up was Bennett or Nepa for defensive player, because you can't give it to Tavani or Biddle with Colgate owning us.

I'm sure Rakus is very good . . but he'll have to be great to impress me more than Taylor.

we'll have to come back to this next week and the week after, since so much depends on the last two games. also with Coach of the Year (and all of the voting), it seems like the coaches put a lot of emphasis on "what they did against us". so the PL games mean a lot more than the Ivy's.

ngineer
November 8th, 2006, 12:58 PM
How old is Threatt? He seems like he has been there forever. I think he was a freshman when I was back in 2000. Separate from that. Randolph for OPOY. I think Tavani should be COY even if they are co champs b/c even though he frustrates me, after losing so many on that defense and still having a competitive team is amazing and after starting 2-5 and potentially finishing 4-0 to make the playoffs would be incredible.

Threatt is a junior. He wasn't around in 2000. Came in for the 2004 season as a freshman. Started last year when Borda went down. When people are written about a lot, it seems they've been around a long time.
COY still has a lot of variables. If HC beats CU, I see Gilmore winning. Did a hell of a lot after losing alot. At same time, if LU wins out, Coen's ability to come in and suffer early adversity and turn it around will also be impressive. I don't think Tavani gets it either way due to the five game losing streak, despite a possible turn-around at the end.

cosmo here
November 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Threatt is a junior. He wasn't around in 2000. Came in for the 2004 season as a freshman. Started last year when Borda went down. When people are written about a lot, it seems they've been around a long time.
COY still has a lot of variables. If HC beats CU, I see Gilmore winning. Did a hell of a lot after losing alot. At same time, if LU wins out, Coen's ability to come in and suffer early adversity and turn it around will also be impressive. I don't think Tavani gets it either way due to the five game losing streak, despite a possible turn-around at the end.

LFN has said that even if Lafayette beats Lehigh, he believes Cohen will be Coach of the Year with a co-championship (and a 6-5 record). Yet, if Lafayette beats Lehigh and goes to the playoffs with a Colgate win over HC this week, Tavani doesn't deserve Coach of the Year since our five losses happened to come in a row, instead of games 1, 3, 4, 6 and 11? I'm confused . . I stand by my statement that the school that gets the autobid should have the Coach of the Year.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
I think there is a big difference between taking a team for the first time in January and getting a co-championship vs. taking a team you've been building for three years and getting a co-championship.

cosmo here
November 8th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I think there is a big difference between taking a team for the first time in January and getting a co-championship vs. taking a team you've been building for three years and getting a co-championship.

Lehigh wasn't exactly down when Coen took over . . and there has never been a situation where a school has won three straight championships and the head coach wasn't Coach of the Year at least twice. If it happens since HC gets the automatic bid in a three-way tie, that's fine. But if Lafayette beats Lehigh, and goes to the playoffs (with a Colgate win over HC this week) and Tavani isn't Coach of the Year . . that would be unprecedented.

Andy
November 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I think the key to COY lies here:

Patriot League 2006 Football Preseason Poll
1) Colgate - 68 (8)
2) Lafayette - 61 (3)
3) Lehigh - 57 (3)
4) Holy Cross - 35
5) Fordham - 33
6) Bucknell - 27
7) Georgetown - 13

If HC ends with only one PL loss, Gilmore has taken his team beyond expectations to a greater degree than anyone else IMO and would be deserving, even over an undefeated PL Coen. (God forbid!)

Randolph, Taylor.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM
If HC beats Colgate in Hamilton Gimore deserves it no matter what Lafayette and Lehigh do IMO.I still think Threatt has a real good chance at OPOY if Lehigh beats Fordham and Lafayette. While Threatt has been erratic at times he's still be solid. Threatt's ability to run helps him out.

Threatts stats
Comp %- 61
Yards- 1604
TD's- 9
Ints- 2

Rushing
Yards- 203
TD's- 6

Randolph's Stats
Comp %- 64.6
Yards- 1969
TD's- 17
Ints- 5

Rushing
Yards- 22
TD's- 1

cosmo here
November 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
for Randolph, all but 180 of those yards have come in the last six weeks - 298 yards per game. and HC has run for 110 yards per game, Lehigh 150. Randolph has been asked to shoulder a huge load as a first-year starter and he has had to be nearly perfect to get them where they are now.

I think Threatt will be second team all-league over Saraceno, Maurer and Bassuener, but Randolph is clearly the Offensive Player of the Year unless he's awful - like 15-of-40 with four picks awful - at Colgate and Lehigh wins out, then Threatt may get it.

If Lafayette wins out and Hurt has huge games - 150+ like he's had the last two weeks he's been healthy - then he has a chance. It's still so early to tell at this point, even with only two weeks left, that's 1/3 of the league schedule.

carney2
November 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
OFFENSE - Randolph! He's the whole show up there and it's
been a very good show, hasn't it?

DEFENSE - Taylor! He's a runaway freight train. Nothing like him in this league. Unfortunately, he disappears every now and then. Where was he, for instance, in the first half last week vs. Lafayette?

COACH - Gilmore! Even if Holy Cross gets blown out by 97-0 this week at Colgate, he wins in a landslide or there needs to be a Congressional investigation.

cosmo here
November 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM
OFFENSE - Randolph! He's the whole show up there and it's
been a very good show, hasn't it?

DEFENSE - Taylor! He's a runaway freight train. Nothing like him in this league. Unfortunately, he disappears every now and then. Where was he, for instance, in the first half last week vs. Lafayette?

COACH - Gilmore! Even if Holy Cross gets blown out by 97-0 this week at Colgate, he wins in a landslide or there needs to be a Congressional investigation.

Carney, in the first half Taylor was recovering the fumbled shot gun snap (:rolleyes: ) and setting up Fordham's first TD. You couldn't not be impressed by him all game, I think when he "disappears" they're scheming everything away from him.