PDA

View Full Version : Southeastern Louisiana vs Central Arkansas Highlights

lionsrking2
October 19th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Highlights of last night's 41-24 homecoming victory over Central Arkansas. Great effort by the Lions, despite playing without two starters on the offensive line and without our starting nose guard. UCA has a good football team, and came ready to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVgN1pcpZP8

BEAR
October 19th, 2014, 04:55 PM
That game wasn't decided until 6 minutes and 11 seconds in the fourth quarter....then it was OVER! xlolx

Great game Lions! Bennett proved again why he was picked by Oregon to play there. He's so much faster than anyone on that field... Including Lions. Glad he's a senior! The Bears had the exact same trouble with Montana States QB. Seems to be our weakness. But it is what it is.

Any my word on the kid who might get suspended for targeting? I heard the league was going to review that play and a couple of others. Will be interesting now the league has a bunch of one loss teams.

Well onto next week and homecoming!

lionsrking2
October 19th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Bryan Bennett isn't close to the fastest guy on our team though I can understand why it might seem that way to Bear fans.

As for the "targeting" call, it was reversed on replay. It was shoulder pad to should pad hit and properly reversed IMO. I'm sure the league will look at it, as they do all of those calls, but you can't suspend him for that ... he wasn't a "defenseless player" and it was good clean football hit.

Other than UCA's first two drives, when they came out with stuff we hadn't seen on tape, we pretty much shut them down the rest of the way other than the big play that led to their only offensive score in the second half. If we don't give up the blocked punt for a TD, it's over earlier than that. But again, UCA is a good football team that is very well-coached.

BEAR
October 19th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Bryan Bennett isn't close to the fastest guy on our team though I can understand why it might seem that way to Bear fans.

As for the "targeting" call, it was reversed on replay. It was shoulder pad to should pad hit and properly reversed IMO. I'm sure the league will look at it, as they do all of those calls, but you can't suspend him for that ... he wasn't a "defenseless player" and it was good clean football hit.

Other than UCA's first two drives, when they came out with stuff we hadn't seen on tape, we pretty much shut them down the rest of the way other than the big play that led to their only offensive score in the second half. If we don't give up the blocked punt for a TD, it's over earlier than that. But again, UCA is a good football team that is very well-coached.

Well it being "properly reversed" is your opinion. Just as my impression of it is mine. We will see later this week when the league looks at it if it was or wasn't. If it was the kid deserves to be benched. What was confusing for fans listening was the incessant call by the radio guys that the defender launched himself, left his feet and hit head on. I laughed with my wife and said the call will be reversed because it's at their place and it's homecoming. BANG. Even the ref who was right there saw something enough to throw a flag. Let's just wait and see what he saw. They might not have a good angle on the play to confirm or deny it.

But that one play didn't decide the game but might have made it closer to end the first half.

For a team that had the Bears all figured out after the first two drives it was pretty amazing the lions couldn't put them away until 6 minutes left in the entire game. That tells me the lions will make the playoffs but again not go the distance. Not their fault, just that the SLC is weak this year overall. I don't see any SLC team winning the national title. These past few weekends proves a bunch of mediocre teams beat a bunch of mediocre teams in their own conference. But that's alright, when was the last time the SLC won the natty anyway?

I'd wish the the lions good luck the rest of the year but I need you to lose at least one! xlolx

lionsrking2
October 19th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Well it being "properly reversed" is your opinion. Just as my impression of it is mine. We will see later this week when the league looks at it if it was or wasn't. If it was the kid deserves to be benched. What was confusing for fans listening was the incessant call by the radio guys that the defender launched himself, left his feet and hit head on. I laughed with my wife and said the call will be reversed because it's at their place and it's homecoming. BANG. Even the ref who was right there saw something enough to throw a flag. Let's just wait and see what he saw. They might not have a good angle on the play to confirm or deny it.

But that one play didn't decide the game but might have made it closer to end the first half.

For a team that had the Bears all figured out after the first two drives it was pretty amazing the lions couldn't put them away until 6 minutes left in the entire game. That tells me the lions will make the playoffs but again not go the distance. Not their fault, just that the SLC is weak this year overall. I don't see any SLC team winning the national title. These past few weekends proves a bunch of mediocre teams beat a bunch of mediocre teams in their own conference. But that's alright, when was the last time the SLC won the natty anyway?

I'd wish the the lions good luck the rest of the year but I need you to lose at least one! xlolx

Good luck the rest of the way.

lion4life
October 20th, 2014, 09:22 AM
"For a team that had the Bears all figured out after the first two drives it was pretty amazing the lions couldn't put them away until 6 minutes left in the entire game."

Lions held the Bears to 135 total yards in the second half, and 1 offensive TD after the 1st Quarter. Not to mention forced 4 Bear Turnovers. I would say Southeastern had the Bears pretty "figured out". You weren't in the game until the blocked the punt, but at no point did it ever feel like UCA could win this game.

Also, I'm not saying the Lions are a no doubt National Title Contender but this team is improving every week. The Lions are big and physical on the Offensive and Defensive lines and have play makers all over the field. Not to mention the best player in the country IMO, in Bryan Bennett.

lionsrking2
October 21st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Also, I'm not saying the Lions are a no doubt National Title Contender but this team is improving every week. The Lions are big and physical on the Offensive and Defensive lines and have play makers all over the field. Not to mention the best player in the country IMO, in Bryan Bennett.

IMO, we're better than last year (especially on defense) and finally starting to hit our stride as a team. The SEMO loss was bad at the time, and will hurt when it comes to seeding, but may have served to get us refocused. We still have good teams left to play in SFA and McNeese, and will need to continue playing well to repeat as SLC champions; but I like where we are right now overall, even battling some injuries.

And you talk about playmakers, I'll take our team speed any day of the week ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoCqc6z62eY

BEAR
October 21st, 2014, 10:45 PM
Alright Lions fans. I guess you need to see it for yourself. Watch the video below and start about the 16:40 mark. The clear helmet to helmet is shown in regular speed AND slow motion. There were no shoulder pads popping. #2 bounced his helmet off our player's helmet with such force that our players head went back and your player flew over the top. How was he able to do that? Because he launched himself! If you don't see helmet to helmet after watching that then you need to take off your green colored glasses. That kid should be suspended and those officials, who couldn't even get the numbers right, should be disciplined. I know you lion fans have more class than to justify that hit as acceptable. Watch the video at the mark I told you and you will see.

http://ucasports.com/news/2014/10/21/FB_1021142615.aspx?path=football

lionsrking2
October 21st, 2014, 10:58 PM
Alright Lions fans. I guess you need to see it for yourself. Watch the video below and start about the 16:40 mark. The clear helmet to helmet is shown in regular speed AND slow motion. There were no shoulder pads popping. #2 bounced his helmet off our player's helmet with such force that our players head went back and your player flew over the top. How was he able to do that? Because he launched himself! If you don't see helmet to helmet after watching that then you need to take off your green colored glasses. That kid should be suspended and those officials, who couldn't even get the numbers right, should be disciplined. I know you lion fans have more class than to justify that hit as acceptable. Watch the video at the mark I told you and you will see.

http://ucasports.com/news/2014/10/21/FB_1021142615.aspx?path=football

You may want to review the targeting rule.

msupokes1
October 22nd, 2014, 05:52 AM
As much as I hate to agree with the Lions, I don't see a targeting there. I see a helmet to helmet but there is more to targeting than that.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2014, 08:15 AM
NCAA rule:

RULES
Targeting and Initiating Contact With the Crown of the Helmet (Rule 9-1-3)
No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with contact at the head or neck area—even though one or both feet are still on the ground.

Lowering the head before attacking by initiating contact with the crown of the helmet.

Seems pretty clear to me. But whatever. See you in the playoffs.

lionsrking2
October 22nd, 2014, 10:00 AM
NCAA rule:

RULES
Targeting and Initiating Contact With the Crown of the Helmet (Rule 9-1-3)
No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with contact at the head or neck area—even though one or both feet are still on the ground.

Lowering the head before attacking by initiating contact with the crown of the helmet.

Seems pretty clear to me. But whatever. See you in the playoffs.

He doesn't make contact with the crown of the helmet, and the runner is not defenseless - therefore, no targeting.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2014, 10:49 AM
He doesn't make contact with the crown of the helmet, and the runner is not defenseless - therefore, no targeting.

He did make contact with the crown of the helmet. Watch the video.

Nowhere does it say the runner has to be defenseless. That is listed as another possible scenario added to the crown of the helmet.

Just read above statement and actually watch the video. He qualified for more than one of those!

He lowered his head before he made contact with the runner. Fact.

He used an upward motion and STILL hit the crown of our players head. Fact.

Not only that but IT WAS IN QUESTION because the ref threw the flag when he saw it!

But nevermind, you just won't see it.

TheRevSFA
October 22nd, 2014, 10:59 AM
Yeah kinda like that face mask no call that allowed UCA to beat SFA

Very shoddy officiating this year by the SLC

lionsrking2
October 22nd, 2014, 11:10 AM
He did make contact with the crown of the helmet. Watch the video.

Nowhere does it say the runner has to be defenseless. That is listed as another possible scenario added to the crown of the helmet.

Just read above statement and actually watch the video. He qualified for more than one of those!

He lowered his head before he made contact with the runner. Fact.

He used an upward motion and STILL hit the crown of our players head. Fact.

Not only that but IT WAS IN QUESTION because the ref threw the flag when he saw it!

But nevermind, you just won't see it.

I've watched replay many times, from several different angles.

The crown is at the very top of the helmet, and at no time is it clear the crown made contact. Contact was made with the butt or forehead and to the left.

f there's no contact with the crown, then it becomes an issue as to whether the runner was defenseless or not, and in this case, it's clear he was not considering he had been running for several yards on a reverse.

The replay official knows the rules and is trained to spot targeting - he correctly reversed the call.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2014, 11:27 AM
I've watched replay many times, from several different angles.

The crown is at the very top of the helmet, and at no time is it clear the crown made contact. Contact was made with the butt or forehead and to the left.

f there's no contact with the crown, then it becomes an issue as to whether the runner was defenseless or not, and in this case, it's clear he was not considering he had been running for several yards on a reverse.

The replay official knows the rules and is trained to spot targeting - he correctly reversed the call.

I guess you'll just have to see it differently from what was on the video. The league will sort it out FOR the official I'm sure. These calls are always difficult to make but I'm sure whatever decision they make will be how they interpret it and that's what we have to go with as fans. xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
October 22nd, 2014, 11:36 AM
I guess you'll just have to see it differently from what was on the video. The league will sort it out FOR the official I'm sure. These calls are always difficult to make but I'm sure whatever decision they make will be how they interpret it and that's what we have to go with as fans. xthumbsupx

Good luck this week against the Demons.

BEAR
October 22nd, 2014, 01:50 PM
Good luck this week against the Demons.

Don't like the Demons? xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah kinda like that face mask no call that allowed UCA to beat SFA

Very shoddy officiating this year by the SLC

Bingo.

AmsterBison
October 22nd, 2014, 07:29 PM
Southeastern Louisiana is a scary looking team. Reminds me of Missouri State (which is a compliment.)