PDA

View Full Version : I-AA to the NFL...

Minnesota87
November 7th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Why is it that certain schools, seem to always produce NFL players, but other schools only put a guy out there every so often?

Peems
November 7th, 2006, 09:10 PM
please elaborate on certain schools that "always" put out NFL players.

Minnesota87
November 7th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Hampton, Furman, Hofstra, McNeese, Cal-Poly, Montana, Western Kentucky, Illinois State are the ones that I notice put alot of guys at the next level, then there are schools like, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Portland State, that rarely see one of their guys get drafted or get a chance in the NFL. I am from Minnesota so mentioning the Dakota schools I might just be bias towards them, but its true.

Peems
November 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM
if you look at the "whos in the NFL" thread you will see sure we have guys in the NFL, some being in NFL Europe, but actually for the level that we have played at for the last 14 years you would think we would have more. i personally only think of AA players in the NFL who constantly contribute like a clarence moore for the ravens, or a mcnair, and a bj sams.

Minnesota87
November 7th, 2006, 09:27 PM
That is a good point. I forgot his name but the Ravens starting fullback played at Montana also.

Minnesota87
November 7th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Justin Green that is his name.

Peems
November 7th, 2006, 09:37 PM
hes not really the "starter" he competes with alan ricard. though he does get in often.

PenguinPride23
November 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM
my YSU Penguins have produced Jeff Wilkins, but that's it except for Jaworski.

The Browns.. off the top of my head TE Steve Heiden from NDSU, and Leigh Bodden from Duquesne.. looking at the roster there's two starting OL Joe Andruzzi from Southern Conn St and Hank Fraley from Robert Morris. Oh and the most boneheaded draft choice ever, LB Chaun Thompson from 0-11 D-II West Texas A&M. In the second round no less. xidiotx

UMass922
November 7th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Hampton, Furman, Hofstra, McNeese, Cal-Poly, Montana, Western Kentucky, Illinois State are the ones that I notice put alot of guys at the next level, then there are schools like, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Portland State, that rarely see one of their guys get drafted or get a chance in the NFL. I am from Minnesota so mentioning the Dakota schools I might just be bias towards them, but its true.

Actually, Northern Iowa currently has more players in the NFL than any other I-AA school, IIRC. Not sure about the exact number. Kurt Warner is obviously the school's most famous alum in the pros.

Minnesota87
November 8th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Northern Iowa Panthers in the NFL:

QB - Kurt Warner - Arizona
SS - Benny Sapp - Kansas City
C - Brad Meester - Jacksonville
TE - Ryan Hannam - Seattle
P - Derek Frost - Washington
OL - Chad Setterstrom - New Orleans
WR - Eddie Berlin - Tennessee
WR - Mike Furrey - Detroit

There might be more, but I know that those are the "popular" ones. My cousin played at UNI and was in training camp with the Cowboys back in '99. So yeah, I guess that UNI does have a lot of NFL talent coming to Cedar Falls.

PenguinPride23
November 8th, 2006, 12:42 AM
FROST!!!! I hate Derrick Frost... shanked a seven-yard punt for the Browns in 04 in a Sunday night game against the Ravens, basically gave the game away with that kick. :bang:

B&G
November 8th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Who was the GM for the Bills back in the 90's who seemed to pride himself on finding small college gems?

mcveyrl
November 8th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Who was the GM for the Bills back in the 90's who seemed to pride himself on finding small college gems?

I don't know, but I'm sure he wished he'd never found his "gem" of a kicker at JMU...Scott Norwood.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lizrdgizrd
November 8th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Northern Iowa Panthers in the NFL:

QB - Kurt Warner - Arizona
SS - Benny Sapp - Kansas City
C - Brad Meester - Jacksonville
TE - Ryan Hannam - Seattle
P - Derek Frost - Washington
OL - Chad Setterstrom - New Orleans
WR - Eddie Berlin - Tennessee
WR - Mike Furrey - Detroit

There might be more, but I know that those are the "popular" ones. My cousin played at UNI and was in training camp with the Cowboys back in '99. So yeah, I guess that UNI does have a lot of NFL talent coming to Cedar Falls.

You got them all, except Eddie Berlin isn't on an NFL roster at this point.

lizrdgizrd
November 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM
For those who care here's how the conferences break down on current NFL players:

A-10 .........17
Big Sky ......19
Big South .....2
Gateway ......24
Great West ....6
Independents ..1
Ivy ..........11
MAAC ..........1
MEAC .........18
NEC ...........3
OVC ..........11
Patriot .......1
SoCon ........13
Southland ....13
SWAC .........16

Minnesota87
November 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I think that in the coming years you will see the Great West Conference have more players in the NFL than anyone. NDSU and SDSU especially. They were both very successful in the D2 level, and they sent guys to the NFL then. Just wait for a few years untill they get some "real" d1-aa talent on their rosters. Both teams could be a threat for the D1-AA National Championship by 2010.

Peems
November 8th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I think that in the coming years you will see the Great West Conference have more players in the NFL than anyone. NDSU and SDSU especially. They were both very successful in the D2 level, and they sent guys to the NFL then. Just wait for a few years untill they get some "real" d1-aa talent on their rosters. Both teams could be a threat for the D1-AA National Championship by 2010.

success at the D2 level is much different than success in AA

Minnesota87
November 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM
True. But heres my case for NDSU....They havent had a losing season in forever and a day. They are a top 10 ranked d1-aa team right now, but arent eligible for the playoffs till like 08 or 09. They should have beat Minnesota, but the Bison longsnapper blew it for them. And any d1-aa school that can hang with a Big Ten team, no matter what Big Ten team it is, is definately on the right path with their program. They also beat Ball State in the beginning of the season.

Peems
November 8th, 2006, 06:14 PM
i dont understand how that means they will have NFL talent. sure they have played well but in AA and even 1-A but im not sure that means NFL.

lizrdgizrd
November 9th, 2006, 09:18 AM

i dont understand how that means they will have NFL talent. sure they have played well but in AA and even 1-A but im not sure that means NFL.
I'm with Peems. In that list above, the GW included all current players from SDSU & NDSU regardless of whether they were DII or IAA. NDSU has none and SDSU has 3 current NFL players. Why should they start loading up in the next few years?