PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 9

Smitty
October 19th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Previously in the SoCon...

Chattanooga 34 Citadel 14
Wofford 24 Samford 20
Western Carolina 35 Mercer 21
Gardner-Webb 47 VMI 41 (2OT)

Current Standings (not power rankings)

1. Western Carolina 3-0 | 5-2
2. Chattanooga 3-0 | 4-3
3. Wofford 2-1 | 4-3
4. Samford 2-2 | 3-3
5. Furman 1-1 | 2-5
6. Mercer 1-3 | 5-3
7. Citadel 0-2 | 2-5
8. VMI 0-3 | 1-7

This week

Mercer @ Chattanooga
Samford @ Furman
VMI @ Wofford
The Citadel @ Western Carolina

catamount man
October 19th, 2014, 07:36 AM
1) Chattanooga
2) Western Carolina
3) Wofford
4) Samford
5) Mercer
6) Furman
7) Citadel
8) VMI

Based upon order of teams that are playing the best down to the worst

10/25
UTC
Samford
Wofford
WCU

OL FU
October 19th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Mercer @ Chattanooga
Samford @ Furman - gonna stick my neck out
VMI @ Wofford

kdinva
October 19th, 2014, 08:35 AM
1) UTC
2) WCU
3) Wofford
4) Samford
5) Furman
6) Citadel
7) Mercer
8) VMI

UTC 40; Mercer 12
Furman 21; Samford 20
Wofford 38; VMI 24
WCU 31; The Citadel 23

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 19th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Not an effort to troll but what the hell happened to Furman? A decade ago, they were one of the proudest FCS programs. Now they aren't even in the top half of a depleted SoCon? Wth?

walliver
October 19th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Power Rankings:
1) Chatty - took care of business in the Holy City - odds on favorite to win the SoCon, but there is still plenty of time to "Pull a Huesman"
2) Western - I think this team is still a year away, but no-one else has a legitimate claim for #2 at this point.
3) Wofford - With starting QB out, team rallied and played the best fundamental game in two years. And even ran the wishbone with two tight ends for a few plays.
... it gets murky from here ...
4) Samford - This isn't last year's team, but is still a threat to every team left on their schedule.
5) Furman - some fans very excited after last two losses. They have to win to move up
6) Mercer - losing well
7) The Citadel - losing poorly
8) VMI - losing routinely

9) ETSU - on the clock

Predictions:
Mercer at Chatty - Mercer has played well this year, but Mocs are on a roll. Potential trap game, but I doubt it, Mocs 42-24
Samford at Furman - The Traveler's Rest Baptists have gone through a rough spell, and the Bama Baptists' post-season chances are on life support. I suspect the horses slip by the pups 28-24.
VMI at Wofford - Closer than it should be, but Terrier's pick up a 35-27 win.
The Citadel at WCU - Although I could see the Charleston pups bouncing back at the Whee, I wouldn't bet any money on it and Cants wins 31-28
ETSU doesn't lose.

Playoff Prediction;
Chatty with auto bid
2d and 3d place teams stay home due to poor OOC schedules and performances.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 19th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I was 4-1 last week. Wofford pulled out a good win against Samford and now there is some level of separation. Here is where I have at after this week (numbers in parenthesis indicates magic number for them to be eligible for at-large bid vs. number of games left on schedule).

1) Western Carolina (4 of 5) - Wins another critical game against Mercer
2) Chattanooga (3 of 5) - Went full throttle against The Citadel
3) Wofford (OUT) - Got win vs. Samford but still needs help to get autobid
4) Samford (OUT) - Now sitting at two conference losses with three games to go.
5) Furman (5 of 5) - No shame losing to South Carolina
6) Mercer (OUT)* - Nothing to be ashamed of vs. Western Carolina
7) The Citadel (5 of 5) - Got hammered by Chattanooga
8) VMI (OUT) - Lost to Gardner-Webb
ETSU - volleyball took care of business against Wofford and Mercer while women's soccer swept The Citadel and VMI
* eliminated from title contention

Predictions
Mercer @ Chattanooga (Game of the Week) - Mocs steamroll the Bears
VMI @ Wofford - Terriers bite the Keydets
Samford @ Furman - Paladins are peaking at the right time
The Citadel @ Western Carolina - Catamounts rip the Bulldogs

whoanellie
October 19th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Seems to Me that the "Southern Conference-Power Ranking" is an Oxymoron. Sort of like the South Carolina state crustascion "Jumbo-Shrimp"
It is good to see Western Carolina Cats turning things around and wonder if a Big South merger is in the works?

rokamortis
October 19th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Seems to Me that the "Southern Conference-Power Ranking" is an Oxymoron. Sort of like the South Carolina state crustascion "Jumbo-Shrimp"
It is good to see Western Carolina Cats turning things around and wonder if a Big South merger is in the works?

Probably no point in a merger unless the Big South loses the autobid - and then we'd be at the mercy of the SoCon who would have no reason / benefit to let our teams play as affiliate members.

The Cats
October 19th, 2014, 11:30 AM

Yes there is an oxymoron, but it's Elon + Football.

The Cats
October 19th, 2014, 11:36 AM
1) Chattanooga
2) Western Carolina
3) Wofford
5) Furman
4) Samford
6) Mercer
7) The Citadel
8) VMI

Predictions:
The Citadel at Western Carolina
Mercer at Chattanooga
Samford at Furman
VMI at Wofford

SU DOG
October 19th, 2014, 11:52 AM
1. UTC
2. Furman
3. Western Carolina
4. Wofford
5. Samford
6. The Citadel
7. Mercer
8. VMI

I posted on AGS several weeks ago that if our O-Line didn't improve, it would be a long year for my Bulldogs. The offense hasn't gelled and this team seems to lack direction. I think I see a contender in Furman with the new QB, and I will say again WATCH OUT for them. I would like to think we could win in Greenville Sat, but I don't even see it being that close. Samford, however, is #1 in the SoCon with talent that is underachieving. xbawlingx

Winners this week - Western, Mocs, Furman, Terriers

chattanoogamocs
October 19th, 2014, 12:59 PM

I almost spit my drink out when I read this. Thanks to whoanellie and his hapless Elon Fighting Midgets Parsons for this comedy relief.

BTW...what the hell is a "crustascion?" Is that some sort of Carolina thing? Or did they not teach you how to spell at Elon...or even worse, did they not teach you that the moron proof little red wavy lines under a word means to right click and spell check?

Elon Phoenix = paid the SoCon $500,000 to trade one basement for another.

rokamortis
October 19th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Bruce Fowler inherited a program with a lot of holes. He's slowly restocking the cupboard.

Frankly, we cannot keep players healthy. Second straight year Furman has just been decimated by injuries to key players at key positions.

Isn't this the third year? Your QB went down in 2012 and I thought you had a few others.

Isn't the 'cupboard wasn't full' excuse starting to wear a little thin in his fourth year?

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Not an effort to troll but what the hell happened to Furman? A decade ago, they were one of the proudest FCS programs. Now they aren't even in the top half of a depleted SoCon? Wth?

Bruce Fowler inherited a program that had a lot of problems. Lot of holes on the roster, and declining facilities. In the last several years Furman has made much needed investments in their facilities and recruiting. It is starting to pay dividends.

Unfortunately, Furman cannot seem to stay healthy. This is the second year in a row that the Paladins have suffered overwhelming injuries at key positions. Its hard at the FCS level to continue to have to play your third and fourth guy on the depth chart.

I do think Furman has made some personnel changes this season that will greatly help the team going forward. It wouldn't shock me to see the team turn a corner like they did last year and start a nice run here in the second half of the season. Unfortunately, it may be too little too late.

chattanoogamocs
October 19th, 2014, 01:32 PM
10,668 Chattanooga
14,285 Jacksonville State
8,872 Samford
8,848 VMI

9,946 Mercer
10,027 Reinhardt
12,227 Furman
10,173 Ave Maria
8,027 Austin Peay
9,277 Western Carolina

9,476 The Citadel
10,828 Coastal Carolina
8,573 Gardner-Webb
10,467 Charlotte
8,037 Chattanooga

8,928 Western Carolina
8,929 Brevard
10,511 Catawba
7,343 Wofford

8,223 Furman
7,533 Gardner-Webb
9,789 Western Carolina
7,347 Coastal Carolina

7,920 Wofford
7,392 North Greenville
7,108 UVA-Wise
9,259 The Citadel

5,614 Samford
4,968 Stillman
4,618 VMI
8,714 Mercer
4,157 Wofford

5,198 VMI
4,479 Davidson
4,490 Mercer
6,624 Gardner-Webb

2013 Attendance:
13,155 The Citadel
9,922 Chattanooga
9,379 Mercer
8,299 Furman
8,241 Western Carolina
7,773 Wofford
7,512 Samford
5,046 VMI

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Isn't this the third year? Your QB went down in 2012 and I thought you had a few others.

Isn't the 'cupboard wasn't full' excuse starting to wear a little thin in his fourth year?

This was posted on our forum, but Mercer's starting lineup on offense against WCU had most starting experience than Furman's against USC's. It is hard to even judge a coaching staff when the players he recruited cannot stay in the lineup due to injury.

Our QB went out in 2012 against Coastal, and Reese Hannon had to come in to play out the rest of the season as a true freshman. In 2013, Hannon spent time hurt, and we had three losses in games where he didn't play. In 2014, Hannon was lost for the season in week 1. I imagine that if you put those constraints on any other FCS program, they'd have issues.

Personally, recruiting started to fall off in the last few years of the Lamb administration. Fowler's first recruiting class (which was effectively Lamb's last class) was small and about half of those players are either buried on the depth chart, or have never seen playing time at Furman.

Two unexpected things in 2014 were that we lost Jairus Hollman and Eric Thoni to off the field issues. That was the best playmaker on the tam (Hollman nearly single handedly beat SCSU in the playoffs last season), and our starting center. Those losses were huge and unexpected.

ElCid
October 19th, 2014, 04:13 PM
1. UTC - They can only beat themselves at this point
2. Western Carolina - They look confident and are playing some good ball
3. Wofford - hot and cold
4. Furman - They have hit a bad stretch but might be on the mend
5. Samford - playing fairly unmotivated
6. The Citadel - cold and hot, lots of changes with the new coach, too many emotional games so far, they need to settle down
7. Mercer - motivated and balanced, they will only get better
8. VMI - Sparky still there?

- Mercer @ Chattanooga - Hardest road of the year for Mercer; Chatty wins comfortably - 42-18
- Samford @ Furman - Toss up really, but Samford looking for a rebound - 31-28
- VMI @ Wofford - VMI will not stop Wofford's running game, but VMI's passing game will give Wofford fits - 38-28
- The Citadel @Western Carolina - Will the Cats get caught looking ahead to show down with Chatty? Or will they snap a 3 game losing skid to the Dogs? Will the Dogs D show up? Will the Dogs bounce back on O? WCU D is not as good as UTC but it's not bad. Dogs need to control the clock better. It will be Cat and Dog fight to the end. I will give the edge to the home team - 27-25

bonarae
October 20th, 2014, 04:12 AM
Mercer @ Chattanooga
Samford @ Furman
VMI @ Wofford

OL FU
October 20th, 2014, 06:26 AM
I almost spit my drink out when I read this. Thanks to whoanellie and his hapless Elon Fighting Midgets Parsons for this comedy relief.

BTW...what the hell is a "crustascion?" Is that some sort of Carolina thing? Or did they not teach you how to spell at Elon...or even worse, did they not teach you that the moron proof little red wavy lines under a word means to right click and spell check?

Elon Phoenix = paid the SoCon $500,000 to trade one basement for another.

It is funny that it matters who the comments come from. Not a sagarin fan but when you need something only biased by the algorithm, what the hell. Here is his list

1 Chattanooga
2. Western Carolina
3. Samford
4. Wofford
5 Furman
6 The Citadel
7 Mercer
8. Elon
9. VMI

xlolx

OL FU
October 20th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Mercer @ Chattanooga
Samford @ Furman
VMI @ Wofford

For twelve seasons I have cheered for Harvard football. But I can't take in the increasing indifference of the Ivy presidents towards improving the state of Ivy football, and in 2015, I will be moving on to ETSU, who is restarting its football program after 12 years of not having it.

Glad to have you with the SoCon bunch.

Mocs123
October 20th, 2014, 08:47 AM
1.) Chattanooga. Still the top team in the SoCon
2.) Western Carolina. Playing good football. Barring a complete meltdown Speir gets coach of the year. A side note: who would have guessed 10 years ago that UTC and WCU would be atop the SoCon?
3.) Furman. I have been saying FU was a good football team all year. I think they have finally figured things out on O.
4.) Samford. Talented, but may not be motivated since they seem out of the hunt.
5.) Wofford. Continue to get better every week.
6.) The Citadel. There aren't a whole lot of FCS teams with as tough of schedule thus far; two FBS schools (yes I realize one is a stretch), 3 ranked FCS schools, and an always tough Wofford.
7. Mercer. Staying competitive.
8. VMI. Might win a ball game if they could stop someone.

Mercer 10
Chattanooga 34. Another Mocs win sets up a big showdown in Cullowhee.

Samford 13
Furman 21. Either team could win, but I think Furman is motivated and Samford is beginning to fade.

VMI 42
Wofford 45 I think this could be an interesting game. Wofford struggles at defending the pass and VMI can throw the ball around. In the end VMI can't stop the terrier run game but I think this one will be closer then it should be.

The Citadel 24
Western Carolina 34 western goes to 4-0 in the conference.

SH_Moc
October 20th, 2014, 09:52 AM
1. Chattanooga - Mocs put The Citadel away early and the defense proved it is one of the best in the FCS.
2. Western Carolina - minus the Presby game WCU continues its surprise run at the top of the SoCon standings.
3. Wofford - Mike Ayers crew is always well prepared and gets better as the season goes along. Nice win over Samford.
4. Furman - Legit FCS defense, improving offense. They can definitely make a run and make some noise in the SoCon auto bid race.
5. Samford - Need to get some chemistry on offense. Will they play spoiler to the teams chasing the auto bid?
6. The Citadel - Looked bad on both sides of the ball on Saturday. I can understand the offense having a tough time against the Mocs D, but Dogs D could have handled the Mocs offense better than they did.
7. Mercer - I believe they got the one conference win they will get this year. Keep improving, stop playing a crap schedule and show us what you can do against big boy teams.
8. VMI - blew their best chance to get another W on the board for this season. Will Sparky be there for year 2 of their SoCon reunion tour?

Mercer @ Chattanooga - Mocs win big. UTC's defense dominates this game and sends the Bears back to Macon licking their wounds.
VMI @ Wofford -Keydets continue to show why they dwell in the SoCon cellar.
The Citadel @ Western Carolina - I thought about picking the Bulldogs but after watching their defense struggle with the Mocs, I have the surging Cats winning at home to setup the battle of the conference unbeatens next week.

Game of the Week - Because I think these are the most evenly matched teams playing this week and is a SoCon elimination game for the loser.
Samford @ Furman - Samford squeaks out a win on the road.

Catamount87
October 20th, 2014, 10:28 AM
1. UTC - Clearly the class of the SoCon with a defense to prove it. The offense might finally be stepping up to get a little closer to their defensive level.
2. WCU - Playing solid team ball with arguably the best WRs in the SoCon. We have a classic "bend-don't-break" defense.
3. Wofford - At times the pieces look to be there, but they need to learn how to put them together.
4. Samford - Fading, this week against Furman should be very telling.
5. Furman - What's happened to that highly touted defense? A horrid offense.
6. Mercer - They play hard, have a good, competitive offense but lack a good SoCon level defense.
7. Citadel - They sure seem like a Dr Jekyl/Mr. Hyde team.
8. VMI - They can score but they sure can't defend.

UTC vs Mercer - Mercer is somewhat 1 dimensional on offense and the Mocs are excellent on defense. This might get a bit ugly.
Furman vs Samford- some might think a toss up but Samford has an offense and Furman still hasn't been consistent on offense.
Wofford vs VMI - The Terriers win with solid ball control that'll keep the VMI offense off the field.
WCU vs Citadel - It'll be a hard fought game with WCU's passing and receivers being the difference.

PaladinNation
October 20th, 2014, 10:40 AM
1. UTC - Clearly the class of the SoCon with a defense to prove it. The offense might finally be stepping up to get a little closer to their defensive level.
2. WCU - Playing solid team ball with arguably the best WRs in the SoCon. We have a classic "bend-don't-break" defense.
3. Wofford - At times the pieces look to be there, but they need to learn how to put them together.
6. Mercer - They play hard, have a good, competitive offense but lack a good SoCon level defense.

UTC vs Mercer - Mercer is somewhat 1 dimensional on offense and the Mocs are excellent on defense. This might get a bit ugly.
Furman vs Samford- some might think a toss up but Samford has an offense and Furman still hasn't been consistent on offense.
Wofford vs VMI - The Terriers win with solid ball control that'll keep the VMI offense off the field.
WCU vs Citadel - It'll be a hard fought game with WCU's passing and receivers being the difference.

I'd say Furman has finally found its real offense… We'll see how they perform during the final SoCon stretch.
Funny that Furman plays toe for toe with CCU… possibly one of the most complete teams I've ever seen in Paladin Stadium, and yet Furman is an underdog at home to Samford. I get it we've been woeful so far but this team is getting better and getting an identity on offense. Thank you Blazejowski and oline.

citdog
October 20th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Chatty is good. VERY good. We'll make the trip up to the 'whee and see if WCU is.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Furman has played an SEC school that averages over 35 ppg and one of the top offenses in the FCS the last two games. I imagine that has something to do with it. No one left on Furman's schedule can come close to matching those offenses.

Offense has looked much better. I think Furman is coming about for a full broadside against Samford.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 20th, 2014, 12:44 PM
1. Chatty
2. Western
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. The Citadel
6. Samford
7. Mercer
8. VMI

UTC and Western in the driver's seat. Time to stock up on non-perishable food, water, and ammunition...

UTC 42 Mercer 14
Western 24 El Cid 17
Wofford 45 VMI 20
Furman 28 Samford 17.

Catamount87
October 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I'd say Furman has finally found its real offense… We'll see how they perform during the final SoCon stretch.
Funny that Furman plays toe for toe with CCU… possibly one of the most complete teams I've ever seen in Paladin Stadium, and yet Furman is an underdog at home to Samford. I get it we've been woeful so far but this team is getting better and getting an identity on offense. Thank you Blazejowski and oline.

This week against Samford will be pivotal in telling us if the Furman offense has really started to put it together. I really think it's a toss up right now. I do think you're better than your record, just how much, I don't know. I went with Samford only because I think they have it more together overall. But, I won't be surprised if they continue to fade, your offense plays well and y'all win.

OL FU
October 20th, 2014, 01:14 PM
This week against Samford will be pivotal in telling us if the Furman offense has really started to put it together. I really think it's a toss up right now. I do think you're better than your record, just how much, I don't know. I went with Samford only because I think they have it more together overall. But, I won't be surprised if they continue to fade, your offense plays well and y'all win.

I know its semantics. We aren't better than our record. The first 5 games we sucked. The last two we looked much better even for losses. The questions is are we going to turn it around like last year. It has to start (continue) this week. Even then, this will be a tougher road to hoe. Last year we got the auto bid because we beat Samford, Samford beat Chattanooga and Chattanooga beat us. That meant the team with a loss to the worst team (FU losing to Elon) got the auto bid. This year even if by some miracle we win out, you guys have to lose twice. So believing in miracles, I am pulling against you the rest of the way.

except for the Alabama Game:)

kdinva
October 20th, 2014, 01:27 PM
VMI 42; Wofford 45 I think this could be an interesting game. Wofford struggles at defending the pass and VMI can throw the ball around..

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4732386

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I know its semantics. We aren't better than our record. The first 5 games we sucked. The last two we looked much better even for losses. The questions is are we going to turn it around like last year. It has to start (continue) this week. Even then, this will be a tougher road to hoe. Last year we got the auto bid because we beat Samford, Samford beat Chattanooga and Chattanooga beat us. That meant the team with a loss to the worst team (FU losing to Elon) got the auto bid. This year even if by some miracle we win out, you guys have to lose twice. So believing in miracles, I am pulling against you the rest of the way.

except for the Alabama Game:)

Truly. Furman was awful in the first half of the season. I believe we could have won the SCSU and PC games with just even a modicum of offensive output. Still somewhat surprised we were able to fend of Mercer given how poorly we played.

SU DOG
October 20th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I voted for Cobb on the P&P POW ballot. Quite a young QB you guys have there. Six TDs is impressive for anybody. Now, if Sparky could just find some players to play defense, VMI could get back up to being competitive.
Congrats to Cobb.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2014, 01:50 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4732386

I forget the exact scores, but it looks like both Wofford and VMI got into a shootout with GWU.

Wofford has been very susceptible to teams that can throw it around a little.

kdinva
October 20th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I voted for Cobb on the P&P POW ballot. Quite a young QB you guys have there. Six TDs is impressive for anybody. Now, if Sparky could just find some players to play defense, VMI could get back up to being competitive.

VMI's bigger problem is showing up for away contests......they did darn well @ Bucknell to start off the season (and Bucknell is a legit top 40 squad as of now)........since then, nuttin'... xasswhipx

Catamount87
October 20th, 2014, 02:07 PM
VMI's bigger problem is showing up for away contests......they did darn well @ Bucknell to start off the season (and Bucknell is a legit top 40 squad as of now)........since then, nuttin'... xasswhipx

Y'all could pull a stunt like you did against WCU in I think '84, come out after halftime with Vaseline strategically placed on your jerseys and pants. I think 6-8 guys were sent back to the locker room for "equipment related" issues. Then the refs did a bit of an inspection before they were allowed back in the game.

SU DOG
October 20th, 2014, 02:22 PM

Well, you know your team better than I, but with all due respect, IMO, that defense is hapless at home or away.

catamount man
October 20th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Any Sparky rumblings up in Lexington? Wonder if he ever regrets leaving Boone after the 1988 season?

tenNesseeCat
October 21st, 2014, 08:01 AM
Power Ranking:

1 - UTC
2 - WCU
3 - Wofford
4 - Furman
5 - Samford
6 - Mercer
7 - The Citadel
8 - VMI

Picks:

UTC vs Mercer - 42-17 - Even though i wish they could, the cubs can't hang with the bird/train in any phase of the game.
Furman vs Samford - 31-20 - Blaze gets lavenders going against the sliding pups.
Wofford vs VMI - 34-30 - The lap dogs have just enough D to get past the northern Virginia misspellers.
WCU vs The Citadel - 38-20 - The Cats Offense gets a big Cullowhee homecoming crowd rowdy with a win over the Hectors!xdrunkyx

walliver
October 21st, 2014, 08:38 AM
I forget the exact scores, but it looks like both Wofford and VMI got into a shootout with GWU.

Wofford has been very susceptible to teams that can throw it around a little.

What killed us against GW was 4 pass interference calls in or near the end zone. A few were on passes that could not be caught inbounds. A couple may have been uncatchable, but all did involve some type of interference. We had similar issues in several other early season games. Even with poor defense, offensive inconsistency has been an issue. Both the WCU and GWU games were winnable with fewer turnovers and breakdowns. We have a very young line, which gets better every week, but at times look like the underclassmen they are. We have had too many 3-and-outs in key points of ball games. We could easily be 6-1, but just as easily be 1-6

Defensive adjustments have been made, and while pass defense is still our Achilles' heel, it has improved significantly the last three weeks.

That being said, we have had way too many bad experiences with VMI (a shocking loss in 2002 and many close calls), so I expect a close game.

SH_Moc
October 21st, 2014, 09:07 AM
I am hoping that both UTC and WCU are undefeated heading into next week's game in Cullowhee. Not only would that make for a compelling match up it would be good for the SoCon.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2014, 09:21 AM
I am hoping that both UTC and WCU are undefeated heading into next week's game in Cullowhee. Not only would that make for a compelling match up it would be good for the SoCon.

Would be good for the conference. Furman fans are now fans of any team playing Western.

Getting way ahead of myself, but margin of victory in some of these games may well become important. There is still a possibility for a wild three way tie breaker between Furman/WCU/UTC (if UTC beats Western and Furman wins out). I think that scenario (with three 6-1 teams all with a loss against the other) may get us a level deeper in the tie breaker scenario than the three levels we saw last season.

In any event, everyone still has to take care of their business. Every team but UTC really has to keep winning. WCU controls its destinty, but with two D2s and Alabama, they may need to win out to get to 7 D1 wins.

tenNesseeCat
October 21st, 2014, 09:37 AM
I agree! It would be nice if WCU went into that weekend ranked as well. Even if we dropped one to the citadel this weekend, it's still gonna be a big game! just not as eye catching without the undefeated records. Maybe both can win this weekend, and there will be some losses in the 20+ ranked teams area to get WCU in around 25. Ranked, undefeated, 1 vs 2 for the SoCon. Cullowhee would be on full alert! It sounds great, but the Cats have 60 minutes of football before any of that can happen! No bigger game than the one on Saturday for WCU!

walliver
October 21st, 2014, 10:24 AM
Would be good for the conference. Furman fans are now fans of any team playing Western.

Getting way ahead of myself, but margin of victory in some of these games may well become important. There is still a possibility for a wild three way tie breaker between Furman/WCU/UTC (if UTC beats Western and Furman wins out). I think that scenario (with three 6-1 teams all with a loss against the other) may get us a level deeper in the tie breaker scenario than the three levels we saw last season.

In any event, everyone still has to take care of their business. Every team but UTC really has to keep winning. WCU controls its destinty, but with two D2s and Alabama, they may need to win out to get to 7 D1 wins.

UTC is the only team with a reasonable chance for an at-large bid.
WCU has 2 D-2's and two FBS's (they lost the first, and beating Bama won't be easy). To get 7 D-1 wins, they either have to run the SoCon, in which case they won't need an at-large, or beat Alabama.
Wofford, who could also go 6-1, cannot get to 7 D-I wins (2 D-2's and an 11 game schedule).
FU would have to win out to get to 7 D-I wins, but even then at 7-5 would not be in a good spot, especially with no big OOC wins.

In a 6-1 three-way, the most likely deciding factor would be points allowed. Giving up 35 to WCU would put FU behind the 8 ball, unless UTC and Chatty get into a shoot-out.

tenNesseeCat
October 21st, 2014, 11:40 AM
Would UTC get an at large bid if WCU wins out, other than Alabama, and UTC wins out after a loss to WCU?

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2014, 11:41 AM
UTC is the only team with a reasonable chance for an at-large bid.
WCU has 2 D-2's and two FBS's (they lost the first, and beating Bama won't be easy). To get 7 D-1 wins, they either have to run the SoCon, in which case they won't need an at-large, or beat Alabama.
Wofford, who could also go 6-1, cannot get to 7 D-I wins (2 D-2's and an 11 game schedule).
FU would have to win out to get to 7 D-I wins, but even then at 7-5 would not be in a good spot, especially with no big OOC wins.

In a 6-1 three-way, the most likely deciding factor would be points allowed. Giving up 35 to WCU would put FU behind the 8 ball, unless UTC and Chatty get into a shoot-out.

Perhaps. 7-5 teams have made the field before. Maybe the SoCon is a one bid conference this year. Assuming (and a big assumption) that Furman reels off 5 straight wins with a double OT loss against a top 5 team, that might get them a look.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2014, 11:43 AM
Would UTC get an at large bid if WCU wins out, other than Alabama, and UTC wins out after a loss to WCU?

An 8 win #2 team in the SoCon would be a virtual lock, IMO. Unless it was last year, when UTC's 8 wins were less impressive than Samford's 8 wins.

The reality is, as weak as the SoCon seems to be this year, no one can really afford to lose. UTC may be able to afford a single loss and get an at large bid, but as you saw last year, being in a beauty contest with no marquee wins isn't a great place to be.

UCMoc
October 21st, 2014, 11:43 AM
Giving up 35 to WCU would put FU behind the 8 ball, unless UTC and Chatty get into a shoot-out.

OK, we get it, Chattown is bi-polar. Let it go!

chattanoogamocs
October 21st, 2014, 12:26 PM

I would put the odds at 60/40 on the yes side that UTC would get an at-large at 8-4.

Sounds like pretty decent odds, but after last year, I don't think and Moc fans want to be waiting on Sunday to see if Chattanooga is in or not.

OL FU
October 21st, 2014, 12:59 PM
I don't think a 7-5 Furman team gets and at large bid unless the Bsouth gets at least three (maybe 4) teams inxeyebrowx

walliver
October 21st, 2014, 01:39 PM
I don't think a 7-5 Furman team gets and at large bid unless the Bsouth gets at least three (maybe 4) teams inxeyebrowx

The Blue Ho's are undefeated in SoCon play.

I am actually pulling for UTC - the idea of the SoCon champions losing to PC College makes me ill.

walliver
October 21st, 2014, 01:43 PM
OK, we get it, Chattown is bi-polar. Let it go!

Must have been a Fraudian slip. Or it could be like our departed States pro fans always said, only Georgia Southern can beat Georgia Southern - that is until just about everyone in the SoCon proved them wrong. (I hope I don't give Chattown any ideas.)

SH_Moc
October 21st, 2014, 02:15 PM
I would put the odds at 60/40 on the yes side that UTC would get an at-large at 8-4.

Sounds like pretty decent odds, but after last year, I don't think and Moc fans want to be waiting on Sunday to see if Chattanooga is in or not.

I agree CMocs after last year's dagger to the heart with the selection show I am hoping the Mocs just handle their business and get the auto bid.

Catamount87
October 21st, 2014, 04:05 PM
I am actually pulling for UTC - the idea of the SoCon champions losing to PC College makes me ill.

Or worse, lose to Gardner-Webb. :D

chattanoogamocs
October 21st, 2014, 04:09 PM
Where did all the Mercer fans go?

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2014, 04:54 PM

Not a lot to talk about, sir. Just not feelin' it (as the kids say) with the sincere, kind, and well-intentioned words from 'Dins, Bullpups, and Cats fans and Coaches about Mercer being competitive, scrappy, and spirited.

Mercer's Coaches, Players, and Fans feel like we've had the opportunity to win each of the 3 games we have lost. Anyone can disagree with that, but disagreeing is not going to change the way people 'feel.' Last year, the Bears were a team that played better than they were. This year they are better than they are playing. Despite what I'm sure will be viewed as lunacy, they expected to win the SoCon this year or at least be in the thick of the race at this point. I'm not sure, but I think 3 'blowouts' might have felt better - not being able to compete seems more tangible; something that can be improved. Not performing, with regard to DAP's and critical TO's, anywhere near the level of last year's team feels worse and harder to explain/solve. The DAP's don't have anything to do with the competition level and only some of the TO's do. Still hoping they can play one of those near-perfect games, as they did last year, and 'shock the world' this Sat. I'm not sure they are going to be expecting to win though, as they have the previous 20 times they have taken the field. We'll see....

How 'bout a crazy PowerRanking to liven things (and cheer me) up....based on what I've observed...NOT based on scores of actual games played...which, I know, is the REAL PowerRanking and the Bears have not fared well in that one, for sure. I've put an asterisk beside the teams I really haven't seen enough of to form an opinion, but I've ranked them anyway...using what most folks use - scores, stats, and reputation....

1) Chatt
2) FU (the FU team that started playing on 10/4/14)
3) Mercer
4) Woffy* (could be 3, could be 7 or anywhere in between...dunno)
5) Sammy (sorry Bullpups fans - y'all were very nice hosts a few weeks ago & yes, I saw the scoreboard)
6) WCU (sorry Cats fans - y'all were very nice last week & yes, I saw the scoreboard)
7) Citadel* (could be 3, could be 7 or anywhere in between...dunno)
8) VMI
9) ETSU
10) Marshall (1978-1983)

That should cause some folks to call the GA Mental Health Dept. on me....but it's what I feel...and my feelings are valid. Oprah and Dr. Phil told me so.

The Cats
October 21st, 2014, 05:38 PM
1) Chatt
3) Mercer
5) Sammy (sorry Bullpups fans - y'all were very nice hosts a few weeks ago & yes, I saw the scoreboard)
6) WCU (sorry Cats fans - y'all were very nice last week & yes, I saw the scoreboard)
8) VMI
9) ETSU
10) Marshall (1978-1983)

All I can say is WOW. All we've done is beat every team you placed above the Cats, that we've played. In the next few week's we'll get our chances at those as well.

You sure you got all those oars in the water? xrotatehx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2014, 06:18 PM
All I can say is WOW. All we've done is beat every team you placed above the Cats, that we've played. In the next few week's we'll get our chances at those as well.

You sure you got all those oars in the water? xrotatehx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Doubtful...and I hear ya....but I would say that it truly does appear to be the Year of the Cat. Apparently, Al Stewart just forgot to show up in Clinnon for a show a few weeks back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7LR46zrQU

If it helps to understand my rankings here and makes Cats fans feel better...certainly no shame in not being 'better' than the other teams...the SCOREBOARD and W-L records are what really matter...I have 5 SoCon Champ. rings and, although most of my (vain) teammates disagree with me, the only team that we were ever TRULY better than (consistently) was Davidson. On the other hand, we almost always PLAYED better than the other SoCon teams in those days and a lot of balls bounced our way (Preparation + Execution = Luck (or something like that)).

WCU is doing that (so far) this year, IMHO. Make sure to leave 2 tix at the WCU will-call for Mr. Stewart & Guest this Sat. :)

ElCid
October 21st, 2014, 07:02 PM
I agree! It would be nice if WCU went into that weekend ranked as well. Even if we dropped one to the citadel this weekend, it's still gonna be a big game! just not as eye catching without the undefeated records. Maybe both can win this weekend, and there will be some losses in the 20+ ranked teams area to get WCU in around 25. Ranked, undefeated, 1 vs 2 for the SoCon. Cullowhee would be on full alert! It sounds great, but the Cats have 60 minutes of football before any of that can happen! No bigger game than the one on Saturday for WCU!

Well I certainly hope my Dogs ruin it for you. But I think there may be some shaking out going on in Charleston. Strange Press Conference today. Coach appears a tad bit pissed with the players. I wish I knew how the Dogs will play, they may roll over or played possessed, who the heck knows. I will support the Dogs all the same. Just printed my tickets. It will be a beautiful day in the mountains regardless. I almost included WCU in my poll, but the 2 Div II games held me back. If you only hadn't lost to the hose....

CSU18
October 21st, 2014, 07:59 PM
Well I certainly hope my Dogs ruin it for you. But I think there may be some shaking out going on in Charleston. Strange Press Conference today. Coach appears a tad bit pissed with the players. I wish I knew how the Dogs will play, they may roll over or played possessed, who the heck knows. I will support the Dogs all the same. Just printed my tickets. It will be a beautiful day in the mountains regardless. I almost included WCU in my poll, but the 2 Div II games held me back. If you only hadn't lost to the hose....

I'm not so sure losing to the Hose is s bad loss these days. They beat Furman, WCU, CSU, and played CCU pretty close for 3 1/2 quarters from what I hear.

ElCid
October 21st, 2014, 08:11 PM
I'm not so sure losing to the Hose is s bad loss these days. They beat Furman, WCU, CSU, and played CCU pretty close for 3 1/2 quarters from what I hear.

I did not say that it was. The hose is much improved. But if they hadn't lost to them, I would have ranked WCU at least at 25 -23.

chattanoogamocs
October 21st, 2014, 08:22 PM
I have commented more than once on Mocfans that Western Carolina accidentally screwed themselves with their schedule this year.

They probably figured, at the time it was made, that it would still be another couple of years before they would really be competitive (though they definitely showed glimpses the last two years).

Two Non DI's were in there to make sure they had some easy wins at the beginning of the season to help the young team gain some confidence (I hate the SoCon playing Non-DI's...especially 2 in a season, but I completely understand why WCU...and Mercer...would do so). They probably figured the two FBS games wouldn't be a big deal (because no one thought they would be in the position to look at an at-large), so they might as well make some money and help the program financially in the long term...Chattanooga did the same thing in Rodney Allison's last season (FSU and Oklahoma).

Take out one of the Non DI's or one of the FBS games and replace it with a winnable FCS game and WCU might have had an at-large chance...unfortunately, now they have to win the autobid. Of course, I would assume most WCU fans are probably just happy to be in the mix...I know from reading their pre-season predictions, most would have been really happy with 6-6...now they are suddenly just one win from that with 5 games to play.

As for the whole conference, I was looking at the individual statistical leaders and they are very few seniors anywhere (especially on offense)...most teams are going to bring back a lot of young and talented players next season. Hopefully the SoCon will be able to right the ship and start doing better in the OOC...that is what earns at-large bids.

ElCid
October 21st, 2014, 08:30 PM
I have commented more than once on Mocfans that Western Carolina accidentally screwed themselves with their schedule this year.

They probably figured, at the time it was made, that it would still be another couple of years before they would really be competitive (though they definitely showed glimpses the last two years).

Two Non DI's were in there to make sure they had some easy wins at the beginning of the season to help the young team gain some confidence (I hate the SoCon playing Non-DI's...especially 2 in a season, but I completely understand why WCU...and Mercer...would do so). They probably figured the two FBS games wouldn't be a big deal (because no one thought they would be in the position to look at an at-large), so they might as well make some money and help the program financially in the long term...Chattanooga did the same thing in Rodney Allison's last season (FSU and Oklahoma).

Take out one of the Non DI's or one of the FBS games and replace it with a winnable FCS game and WCU might have had an at-large chance...unfortunately, now they have to win the autobid. Of course, I would assume most WCU fans are probably just happy to be in the mix...I know from reading their pre-season predictions, most would have been really happy with 6-6...now they are suddenly just one win from that with 5 games to play.

As for the whole conference, I was looking at the individual statistical leaders and they are very few seniors anywhere (especially on offense)...most teams are going to bring back a lot of young and talented players next season. Hopefully the SoCon will be able to right the ship and start doing better in the OOC...that is what earns at-large bids.

I thinking precisely the same thing when I was reviewing their schedule before I voted. Talk about the timing being off.xconfusedx

rokamortis
October 21st, 2014, 08:40 PM

The Big South recently decided to not allow any more sub-DI games. We'll see if it works. Then you have the different views on FBS games - Coastal isn't going to have any more while most of the other schools will schedule multiple.

Perhaps the ADs think that since the sub-DI games were non-counters anyway you might as well schedule an extra FBS game, get paid, and perhaps have a shot at an upset.

I'm not a fan of multiple FBS teams - PC has 3 on their schedule and just kills any chance at an at-large. But like WCU, I don't think they were thinking they'd have a legit shot at an at-large when the schedule was made.

chattanoogamocs
October 21st, 2014, 08:50 PM
Then you have the different views on FBS games - Coastal isn't going to have any more while most of the other schools will schedule multiple.

Ironic that you mention that, I just wrote a post on Mocfans about whether or not it was worth playing P5 money games...and I specifically used CCU as an example of a school that schedules winnable OOC games to add to their win total which makes it much easier to earn an at-large.

I argued that long term it is better to go to the playoffs more consistently than it is to play basically a throwaway game for a payday (outside of NDSU, you are going to beat a P5 about once in every 25 to 50 tries). In the mean time, when you get blown out by a major school, it reinforces to the general population that your program is small time, it hurts you in the FCS polls, and lessens your chance at an at-large. Chattanooga took a big gamble scheduling two FBS schools and top 10 FCS game (Jacksonville State) in the same season.

As another example, I pointed out that last season, if the Mocs had bought a home game versus a Campbell or Jacksonville or Savannah State...and dropped Alabama to finish the season...they end up 9-3 and would have made the playoffs (instead of being 8-4 and the last team out). Would that team have actually been any better? No, it's the same team...but perception (FCS win totals) is incredibly important and while they always claim that a loss to P5/FBS is not a big deal...it's still a loss. But which is more important...playoffs or $500k?

rokamortis
October 21st, 2014, 09:04 PM
Ironic that you mention that, I just wrote a post on Mocfans about whether or not it was worth playing P5 money games...and I specifically used CCU as an example of a school that schedules winnable OOC games to add to their win total which makes it much easier to earn an at-large.

I argued that long term it is better to go to the playoffs more consistently than it is to play basically a throwaway game for a payday (outside of NDSU, you are going to beat a P5 about once in every 25 to 50 tries). In the mean time, when you get blown out by a major school, it reinforces to the general population that your program is small time, it hurts you in the FCS polls, and lessens your chance at an at-large. Chattanooga took a big gamble scheduling two FBS schools and top 10 FCS game (Jacksonville State) in the same season.

As another example, I pointed out that last season, if the Mocs had bought a home game versus a Campbell or Jacksonville or Savannah State...and dropped Alabama to finish the season...they end up 9-3 and would have made the playoffs (instead of being 8-4 and the last team out). Would that team have actually been any better? No, it's the same team...but perception (FCS win totals) is incredibly important and while they always claim that a loss to P5/FBS is not a big deal...it's still a loss. But which is more important...playoffs or $500k?

The only think I'd disagree with would be the Pioneer non-scholly clubs. Since they are non-scholarship they are more or less viewed as DII/DIII. I know they count but I don't think they count the same - if you don't have some good wins to back it up then it may not help you enough.

But I agree about the P5 these games are pointless, other than money, and likely a loss unless you find a really down club like Vandy. We played SC last year and got walloped. They are a little down this year but we still would have gotten beat. if you don't need the money then there is no point in playing them.

Here's a sidestory you may find amusing. In 1993 Coastal splits off from the SC system in a bit of a messy divorce and a trustee vows to never support Coastal. We start playing football in 2003 and the heat starts turning up to play us. I can't really remember the turning point but i think it had something to do with the economy crashes in 2009 and they didn't have to pay us very much. A lot of people at Coastal are thrilled that we'll finally play the Gamecocks in football (and I think other sports as well). Then our coach decides no more FBS games. So all of that history, work, politicking just fell to the wayside. I wasn't a fan of the game anyway but I find the whole thing amusing.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2014, 09:12 PM

Interesting you would bring that up. I noted on Furman's forum that Furman's offensive lineup against USC actually had fewer collective starts than Mercer's lineup against WCU. 63 of Furman's collective 147 starts last week were just by two offensive linemen, Emert and Turner.

The critical fumble by Furman in the first half that swung the game against USC was on a play where a true freshman center snapped to a true freshman QB who handed it off to a true freshman RB. Would be interested to know if any D1 football team in the country had any play this season with three true freshman at those three positions.

chattanoogamocs
October 21st, 2014, 09:55 PM
Interesting you would bring that up. I noted on Furman's forum that Furman's offensive lineup against USC actually had fewer collective starts than Mercer's lineup against WCU. 63 of Furman's collective 147 starts last week were just by two offensive linemen, Emert and Turner.

The critical fumble by Furman in the first half that swung the game against USC was on a play where a true freshman center snapped to a true freshman QB who handed it off to a true freshman RB. Would be interested to know if any D1 football team in the country had any play this season with three true freshman at those three positions.

Chattanooga had something close at UTK...

True Freshman Center Jacob Revis (has been starting all season)...True Freshman RB Richarde Bagley (starting for injured Keon Williams)...but the starting QB was JR Jacob Huesman (though later in the game FR QB Alejandro Bennifield was in the game)

chattanoogamocs
October 21st, 2014, 10:08 PM
The only think I'd disagree with would be the Pioneer non-scholly clubs. Since they are non-scholarship they are more or less viewed as DII/DIII. I know they count but I don't think they count the same - if you don't have some good wins to back it up then it may not help you enough.

In the past, I would have agreed with you somewhat...but now they get an autobid to the playoffs which gives them more credibility (deserved or not)...and typically there is always one or two Pioneer schools that are ORV in the polls (deserved or not).

They definitely count more than a Non DI (deserved or not...some DII would drill them) simply for the fact that they are DI...and they hurt less than losing to an FBS (though they shouldn't). Case in point...no one is going to drop a team in the rankings for beating the crap out of Campbell, but the Mocs dropped three spots after losing to UTK (from 12th to 15th in the coaches poll).

Of course, you can't play anything but Pioneer...but to use Chattanooga as an example...add in Campbell and dump UTK from the schedule and the Mocs are 5-2, 3-0 (with a 4 point loss to an FBS school and an OT loss to a top 10 FCS Jax St) and could lose a SoCon game and still have 9 wins (which would almost guarantee them an at-large bid)...but with the UTK loss, if the Mocs falter once in the SoCon, then they are chewing their nails again on Sunday afternoon waiting to see if they get the call.

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2014, 12:39 AM
Chattanooga had something close at UTK...

True Freshman Center Jacob Revis (has been starting all season)...True Freshman RB Richarde Bagley (starting for injured Keon Williams)...but the starting QB was JR Jacob Huesman (though later in the game FR QB Alejandro Bennifield was in the game)

Revis & Bennifield are both Redshirt Freshman...Bagley IS a 'true' Freshman...and just to complete the info, Huesman is a Redshirt Junior

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2014, 07:02 AM
Revis & Bennifield are both Redshirt Freshman...Bagley IS a 'true' Freshman...and just to complete the info, Huesman is a Redshirt Junior

Bagley is the "I want to be a Moc, I want to be a Paladin, just kidding I want to be a Moc" guy.

OL FU
October 22nd, 2014, 07:02 AM
Not a lot to talk about, sir. Just not feelin' it (as the kids say) with the sincere, kind, and well-intentioned words from 'Dins, Bullpups, and Cats fans and Coaches about Mercer being competitive, scrappy, and spirited.

Mercer's Coaches, Players, and Fans feel like we've had the opportunity to win each of the 3 games we have lost. Anyone can disagree with that, but disagreeing is not going to change the way people 'feel.' Last year, the Bears were a team that played better than they were. This year they are better than they are playing. Despite what I'm sure will be viewed as lunacy, they expected to win the SoCon this year or at least be in the thick of the race at this point. I'm not sure, but I think 3 'blowouts' might have felt better - not being able to compete seems more tangible; something that can be improved. Not performing, with regard to DAP's and critical TO's, anywhere near the level of last year's team feels worse and harder to explain/solve. The DAP's don't have anything to do with the competition level and only some of the TO's do. Still hoping they can play one of those near-perfect games, as they did last year, and 'shock the world' this Sat. I'm not sure they are going to be expecting to win though, as they have the previous 20 times they have taken the field. We'll see....

How 'bout a crazy PowerRanking to liven things (and cheer me) up....based on what I've observed...NOT based on scores of actual games played...which, I know, is the REAL PowerRanking and the Bears have not fared well in that one, for sure. I've put an asterisk beside the teams I really haven't seen enough of to form an opinion, but I've ranked them anyway...using what most folks use - scores, stats, and reputation....

1) Chatt
3) Mercer
8) VMI
9) ETSU
10) Marshall (1978-1983)

That should cause some folks to call the GA Mental Health Dept. on me....but it's what I feel...and my feelings are valid. Oprah and Dr. Phil told me so.\

I like where Marshall is rated.

OL FU
October 22nd, 2014, 07:03 AM

Doesn't make me feel one damn bit better

tenNesseeCat
October 22nd, 2014, 07:49 AM
I'm never a fan of the D-II schools on the schedule. I can tolerate 1, but this year we have 2. I figured that had something to do with all the conference movement. I don't think it is that bad of a thing though. WCU could be in a lot better position than we are, had we taken care of business earlier. If we had beaten USF and PC, both were very winnable games, we'd be undefeated at this point with a win over an FBS. USF isn't as bad as made out to be either. They are #5 in the 11 team AAC at 2-1. The same record as Huston and Temple. We'd be ranked in the teens, probably, and only need 2 more D-I wins for playoff eligibility. Very doable with the citadel, samford, and vmi still to play. With a big paycheck still to come at the end. I don't know about other Cat fans, but at this point, with wins over fu,wc, and lamb. Our cake is baked and we are just waiting to put icing on the dang thing. Things like 4-0 wcu vs 4-0 utc in cullowhee, socon champs, and a playoff bid, are just the big presents from the rich uncle that we don't even know about yet. It's one game at a time in Cullowhee right now. No bigger game on the schedule than the citadel. after that is utc, then samford, and so on. This year, we needed wins, and paydays to pay off the last regime. (from what I gather) Not to mention that BC runs the option, and has the best rushing game in all of D-II. I think it was a good warm up game for the citadel and WC. I think they put more yards and points on us than wofford did. Bottom line, if we had won the games we were capable of, it wouldn't even be an issue. Winning cures the football woes, and that is what WCU is trying to do! GO CATS!!!

SCPALADIN
October 22nd, 2014, 08:03 AM
Bagley is the "I want to be a Moc, I want to be a Paladin, just kidding I want to be a Moc" guy.

IT'S MARSHA!! xnonox
xdrunkyx

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2014, 08:19 AM
Doesn't make me feel one damn bit better

They were bound to get us eventually. Heck, we play them every daggum season. They continue to improve and draw one step closer every year to beating us. We also continue to play them in Clinton.

You give any program in the country 30 chances to beat you, and sure enough, eventually they will.

OL FU
October 22nd, 2014, 08:39 AM
They were bound to get us eventually. Heck, we play them every daggum season. They continue to improve and draw one step closer every year to beating us. We also continue to play them in Clinton.

You give any program in the country 30 chances to beat you, and sure enough, eventually they will.

Logic has nothing to do with the emotional aspect of the game.xbawlingx

chattownmocs
October 22nd, 2014, 08:42 AM
Furman sucks, literally. Their fans are so positive. You've lost 5 in a row. Gtfo

walliver
October 22nd, 2014, 10:28 AM

That is one thing that has bothered me all year .. where did the seniors go?
I knew Mercer would have very few upperclassmen, but it seems like everybody is playing lots of freshmen and sophomores. Were the 2009-2010 recruiting classes that bad? Wofford, for example, only has 6 seniors on the team.

FU and WCU were likely affected by coaching changes, But Huesman has been around for a while, and Ayers has been here since forever. It's not like SoCon players are leaving early to go to the NFL. I know some of the details about how Wofford got in this mess. We had two potential studs at QB who redshirted. As a result we didn't recruit QB's heavily the next year, and then both QB's left school involuntarily after recruiting was over leaving a QB gap. Possibly as a result, 3 5th year offensive linemen chose to move on or go to grad school instead of returning. I'm sure each school has its own stories, but it just seems that no-one has a mature team on the field this year.

I haven't seen Chatty play this year, but no team has really impressed me much so far. Probably because of youth.

I suspect PC College and Gardner-Webb will go winless versus the SoCon next year - as it should be.

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Furman sucks, literally. Their fans are so positive. You've lost 5 in a row. Gtfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOyT8rDNpVs

Catamount87
October 22nd, 2014, 10:37 AM

You've nailed it in your analysis of the D-II and FBS/BCS games. I suspect we'll always have a game like that on the schedule given the proximity of schools like Mars Hill, Catawba and Lenior-Rhyne. I've never confirmed it but I suspect the second D-II game this year was a bit of a "favor" to Coach Walker at Catawba. He was our defensive coordinator in Coach Speir's first season. That said, the two D-II games were somewhat of an anomaly this year, albeit somewhat planned. It was a schedule built for success, in some regards, given how tough our schedule has been the previous 2 seasons with 5 FBS/BCS games, VaTech, Auburn and MTSU in 2013 and Marshall and Alabama in 2012.

Now on the idea someone floated in another post that the SoCon should not allow D-II and lower games, that's a bit of hypocrisy. Most FCS programs, meaning pretty much all of the SoCon, rely on the revenue from an FBS/BCS game. BCS schools are commonly paying out between $350,000 and $500,000 for those games. That's a significant part of the football budget at the FCS level. This same thing applies to D-II schools.(I'll check to see what common payouts are here.) Games against top FCS programs have guarantees that are a good portion of their football budgets. So, for FCS conferences to establish rules against D-II games is enormous hypocrisy.

Lastly, you are correct, our expectations weren't huge, 6-6 was viewed as doable while 5-7 not unrealistic and both still possible. The team has really come together and played up to their full potential putting themselves in a position we all thought would be a year away. I know you Mocs fans know this feeling as well, remember 2012?

Catamount87
October 22nd, 2014, 11:12 AM

1) Chatt
3) Mercer
8) VMI
9) ETSU
10) Marshall (1978-1983)

That should cause some folks to call the GA Mental Health Dept. on me....but it's what I feel...and my feelings are valid. Oprah and Dr. Phil told me so.

Dang, I guess we need to change our mascot to Rodney Dangerfield, no respect, no respect.

Seriously though, after being at the WCU/Mercer game and watching the replay on ESPN3, I thought it's clear that Mercer has most of the pieces to be successful. There are two things I thought were missing, experience and speed, mainly experience. Several of the Mercer penalties were really inexperience rearing it's ugly head, especially those back-to-back false starts in the 3rd quarter. I also thought defensive speed played a part there too. The talent level of Mercer's opponents really picks up from here on out. There are going to be some times the boys "get taken to school" but they'll learn and apply those lessons all to well. Us Catamount fans know this all too well. We are still a very young team that had a lot of underclassmen starting and playing the last three seasons. These young men are now sophomores and juniors with 2-3 years of experience under their belts and it's now showing. So don't fret, Mercer will be a threat soon enough.

citdog
October 22nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Dang, I guess we need to change our mascot to Rodney Dangerfield, no respect, no respect.

Seriously though, after being at the WCU/Mercer game and watching the replay on ESPN3, I thought it's clear that Mercer has most of the pieces to be successful. There are two things I thought were missing, experience and speed, mainly experience. Several of the Mercer penalties were really inexperience rearing it's ugly head, especially those back-to-back false starts in the 3rd quarter. I also thought defensive speed played a part there too. The talent level of Mercer's opponents really picks up from here on out. There are going to be some times the boys "get taken to school" but they'll learn and apply those lessons all to well. Us Catamount fans know this all too well. We are still a very young team that had a lot of underclassmen starting and playing the last three seasons. These young men are now sophomores and juniors with 2-3 years of experience under their belts and it's now showing. So don't fret, Mercer will be a threat soon enough.

I had the Catamounts ranked at #20 in both of my polls. They'll drop out after this Saturday though.

Smitty
October 22nd, 2014, 11:38 AM
I had the Catamounts ranked at #20 in both of my polls. They'll drop out after this Saturday though.

http://i.imgur.com/M8n88iz.gif

citdog
October 22nd, 2014, 11:43 AM
http://i.imgur.com/M8n88iz.gif

Not interested in the Cmitty Family Motto. So I should have had you ranked lower or not at all?

tenNesseeCat
October 22nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
That is one thing that has bothered me all year .. where did the seniors go?
I knew Mercer would have very few upperclassmen, but it seems like everybody is playing lots of freshmen and sophomores. Were the 2009-2010 recruiting classes that bad? Wofford, for example, only has 6 seniors on the team.

FU and WCU were likely affected by coaching changes, But Huesman has been around for a while, and Ayers has been here since forever. It's not like SoCon players are leaving early to go to the NFL. I know some of the details about how Wofford got in this mess. We had two potential studs at QB who redshirted. As a result we didn't recruit QB's heavily the next year, and then both QB's left school involuntarily after recruiting was over leaving a QB gap. Possibly as a result, 3 5th year offensive linemen chose to move on or go to grad school instead of returning. I'm sure each school has its own stories, but it just seems that no-one has a mature team on the field this year.

I haven't seen Chatty play this year, but no team has really impressed me much so far. Probably because of youth.

I suspect PC College and Gardner-Webb will go winless versus the SoCon next year - as it should be.

If i counted correctly, for WCU 40/64 players listed on the 2 deep for the citadel game are fr/so. with 14 of those being starters.

AshevilleApp2
October 22nd, 2014, 04:30 PM
Good to see some fresh WCU blood on this board!

ElCid
October 22nd, 2014, 04:40 PM
If i counted correctly, for WCU 40/64 players listed on the 2 deep for the citadel game are fr/so. with 14 of those being starters.

Yeah I know what you mean. It can always change before game time, but our game notes list 35/55 on the 2 deep as Fr/So with 15 of those starters.

Toby
October 22nd, 2014, 04:57 PM

It is nice to be missed! We are looking forward to coming to Chattanooga on Sat. If we can clean up the penalties and turnovers, we might make a game of it. I noticed on our Mercer fan site that a WCU fan was giving us advice on how to improve our offense and defense. We will pass that on to Coach Lamb so keep that in mind! :)

utcfan
October 22nd, 2014, 07:22 PM

On 2 deep listed for Mercer game; offense and defense, Mocs have 3 seniors on offense, and 4 for defense (3 DL). 38 of 44 returning.

walliver
October 22nd, 2014, 07:57 PM
On 2 deep listed for Mercer game; offense and defense, Mocs have 3 seniors on offense, and 4 for defense (3 DL). 38 of 44 returning.

That may make you the oldest team in the conference.

chattanoogamocs
October 22nd, 2014, 08:30 PM

LOL...in my original post I had said "Furman may have heard of him"...but I thought that might have been considered smack talk. :)

chattanoogamocs
October 22nd, 2014, 08:33 PM
Despite what I'm sure will be viewed as lunacy, they expected to win the SoCon this year or at least be in the thick of the race at this point

xhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxx homerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxh omerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxho merxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerxxhomerx

chattanoogamocs
October 22nd, 2014, 08:34 PM
Yes...I really did mean to press the homer alert koolaid icon that many times.

But is was only because I couldn't find a "delusional homer alart" icon.

All respect to a former All-SoCon O Lineman...but I fear Fubar may have taken one too many hits to the head during his career.

The Cats
October 22nd, 2014, 08:45 PM
I noticed on our Mercer fan site that a WCU fan was giving us advice on how to improve our offense and defense.

Not me.... I think Mercer's improved enough already... xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2014, 10:16 PM
Yes...I really did mean to press the homer alert koolaid icon that many times.

But is was only because I couldn't find a "delusional homer alart" icon.

All respect to a former All-SoCon O Lineman...but I fear Fubar may have taken one too many hits to the head during his career.

FUBeAR, if you please....Now I will not deny that it's obvious to most who know me that I played WAY too many plays without my helmet, but I don't think I said that I expected Mercer to win the SoCon or at least be in the thick of the race. I said "the Bears" (meaning Mercer's Players) expected that...and they HAVE expected to win each of their SoCon games so far. They didn't win 3 of those, but they sure could have...so I think their expectations were, to this point, a lot closer to reality than what most (not all) on this board expected before the season started. I sure hope, despite the odds, that they come out Saturday expecting to win as well; because if you don't truly expect to win, what does that mean? It means you expect to lose. And if you expect to lose, it's almost assured that you will. That's why teams that go down in the doldrums stay there for so long and can't seem to get out. It's not because their players suck or, necessarily, that their coaches suck, it's because their players expect to lose. It takes A LOT to change that - ask Coach Speir or Coach Huesman or, maybe, Coach Nichols at Presbyterian. If drinking Kool-Aid is what convinced these Bears that they SHOULD HAVE EXPECTED to win the SoCon THIS YEAR and to win every game they play, then I say DRINK UP MEN. (I actually say that a lot anyway...but that's another story.)

chattownmocs
October 23rd, 2014, 12:02 AM
FUBeAR, if you please....Now I will not deny that it's obvious to most who know me that I played WAY too many plays without my helmet, but I don't think I said that I expected Mercer to win the SoCon or at least be in the thick of the race. I said "the Bears" (meaning Mercer's Players) expected that...and they HAVE expected to win each of their SoCon games so far. They didn't win 3 of those, but they sure could have...so I think their expectations were, to this point, a lot closer to reality than what most (not all) on this board expected before the season started. I sure hope, despite the odds, that they come out Saturday expecting to win as well; because if you don't truly expect to win, what does that mean? It means you expect to lose. And if you expect to lose, it's almost assured that you will. That's why teams that go down in the doldrums stay there for so long and can't seem to get out. It's not because their players suck or, necessarily, that their coaches suck, it's because their players expect to lose. It takes A LOT to change that - ask Coach Speir or Coach Huesman or, maybe, Coach Nichols at Presbyterian. If drinking Kool-Aid is what convinced these Bears that they SHOULD HAVE EXPECTED to win the SoCon THIS YEAR and to win every game they play, then I say DRINK UP MEN. (I actually say that a lot anyway...but that's another story.)

I hope they are prepared for a first half blowout.

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2014, 01:33 AM
I hope they are prepared for a first half blowout.

Why? Are you working the corner of Reggie White Blvd. and 19th Street again? Oh, I'm sorry...misread your post....you typed blowOUT. My mistake.

chattownmocs
October 23rd, 2014, 06:17 AM
Why? Are you working the corner of Reggie White Blvd. and 19th Street again? Oh, I'm sorry...misread your post....you typed blowOUT. My mistake.

Ok...stfu

chattownmocs
October 23rd, 2014, 06:19 AM
If Mercers' players thought they were at a championship level they are probably not going to be winning many championships for a while. Clearly they have no clue what it takes and bonby lamb must have forgotten or just hasn't conveyed that message well.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2014, 06:48 AM
Sweet Melissa.

Furman RT Charles Emert is out against Samford with a concussion. If you are keeping count, that is four pre-season All SoCon Paladins out with injury (Carl Rider, Charles Emert, Reese Hannon, Trey Robinson). Frustrating for the team and the fans to have what should be a really good team just not be able to stay on the field.

Highly regarded T-FR Terrell Bush gets the start. He's played a bunch all season, so at least it is not someone coming off the bench cold. Since we are on the subject, Furman's two deep on offense against Samford has two seniors (LG Tank Philips and RB Hank McCloud), and both of those guys have been recovering from off-season injuries.

rokamortis
October 23rd, 2014, 07:14 AM
Sweet Melissa.

Furman RT Charles Emert is out against Samford with a concussion. If you are keeping count, that is four pre-season All SoCon Paladins out with injury (Carl Rider, Charles Emert, Reese Hannon, Trey Robinson). Frustrating for the team and the fans to have what should be a really good team just not be able to stay on the field.

Highly regarded T-FR Terrell Bush gets the start. He's played a bunch all season, so at least it is not someone coming off the bench cold. Since we are on the subject, Furman's two deep on offense against Samford has two seniors (LG Tank Philips and RB Hank McCloud), and both of those guys have been recovering from off-season injuries.

You guys don't seem to have much luck with injuries. Maybe they should join the golf team.

OL FU
October 23rd, 2014, 07:48 AM
You guys don't seem to have much luck with injuries. Maybe they should join the golf team.

Looks like the golf team may be playing offensive line before the season is overxsmhx

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2014, 07:54 AM

Hard to imagine a group with less luck with injuries than Furman. It makes one wonder if the program, as a whole, is doing something wrong. This is the third straight year now Furman has had to play a boatload of freshmen.

To his credit, Fowler has kept the ship afloat.

rokamortis
October 23rd, 2014, 08:49 AM
Hard to imagine a group with less luck with injuries than Furman. It makes one wonder if the program, as a whole, is doing something wrong. This is the third straight year now Furman has had to play a boatload of freshmen.

To his credit, Fowler has kept the ship afloat.

Most of the time it is just bad luck - but I agree that three years in a row it starts looking like a recurring problem. The first two things I'd look at would be the S&C program and how physical camp / practices are. Pure speculation, but perhaps with a few small tweaks to those areas and you could avoid some of these.

walliver
October 23rd, 2014, 09:06 AM
I hate to say it, but I am starting to miss the Statesboro Crackers and Boone Hillbillies. They were a bunch of arrogant, ignorant appholes and bubbas, but at least they were entertaining. The SoCon has devolved into a Whine and Cheese, hold the cheese and add more Whine, Conference.

Even Chattown is having difficulty maintaining his trollish standards now that his team is actually winning.

I guess I could visit the SunBelt board, but most of those guys are delusion in a sad, and not entertaining, way.

And by the way, all of FU's problems are retribution from the Creator for ripping up his grass and putting down a plastic field in the name of that of that false idol Lacrosse.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2014, 09:43 AM
Most of the time it is just bad luck - but I agree that three years in a row it starts looking like a recurring problem. The first two things I'd look at would be the S&C program and how physical camp / practices are. Pure speculation, but perhaps with a few small tweaks to those areas and you could avoid some of these.

I don't disagree with you. From what I understand, most of the injuries have occurred in-game or are unrelated to practice. One could not predict a GWU linebacker would roll over Reese Hannon's ankle, for instance. Our LG Tank Philips broke his leg in the WCU game last year, and has just now gotten back to what appears to be full speed.

We are just now getting guys back, however, from injuries that were suffered in offseason workouts. Those are killer. You cannot do much for stuff that happens in a game, but you sure enough can try to limit injuries in practices against your own players.

Much like last season, Furman's play has improved as they continue to get guys back in the lineup. Hank McCloud, who looked like a shadow of his former self the first few weeks of the season, put up 94 yards against Coastal and 104 against USC. He has gotten healthy and benefited greatly from the return of Ernie Cain from a knee injury, who is just a great blocking fullback.

Injuries are a part of football. Still, while losing any starter is a gut punch, having two or three out every single week begins to get tiresome.

Catamount87
October 23rd, 2014, 09:47 AM
It is nice to be missed! We are looking forward to coming to Chattanooga on Sat. If we can clean up the penalties and turnovers, we might make a game of it. I noticed on our Mercer fan site that a WCU fan was giving us advice on how to improve our offense and defense. We will pass that on to Coach Lamb so keep that in mind! :)

That was me and I was respectful in my comments in my thoughts and opinions on the game, what I saw that wasn't good and the things I saw that were good. You'll find that on many of the various message boards other fans do post and are welcomed because they are respectful and add to the discussion because they bring a different perspective to the conversation. Let's face it, if all the posts were nothing but "yes I agree" type posts, it wouldn't be that interesting or insightful.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2014, 09:53 AM
That was me and I was respectful in my comments in my thoughts and opinions on the game, what I saw that wasn't good and the things I saw that were good. You'll find that on many of the various message boards other fans do post and are welcomed because they are respectful and add to the discussion because they bring a different perspective to the conversation. Let's face it, if all the posts were nothing but "yes I agree" type posts, it wouldn't be that interesting or insightful.

Advice for Mercer - This is not how you block or attempt to tackle Gary Wilkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC7nTcj-Oi4

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2014, 10:18 AM
Advice for Mercer - This is not how you block or attempt to tackle Gary Wilkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUEMOu7ByLI

Is this more like what you were looking for? (You keep posting THAT video just to TORMENT me personally, don't you? I hate you PaladinFan...HATE, HATE, HATE!!! ;))

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
I knew as soon as I posted that someone was going to put Davis' touchdown run on there. Wilkins does not get beat often, but Davis sure enough finished his run.

Watching that play again and the blocking, it looks like it was a designed power on the left side, ended up being an outside run on the right side. Not sure who was more surprised to see Davis, Wilkins or USC's RT.

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
FuBear, watching that Mercer/Furman play again, I can see on that play why the much smaller Marchman is the LT and the much bigger Posey is the RT. Ira McCune's only contribution to that play was high fiving Wilkins in the endzone.

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2014, 11:01 AM
I knew as soon as I posted that someone was going to put Davis' touchdown run on there. Wilkins does not get beat often, but Davis sure enough finished his run.

Watching that play again and the blocking, it looks like it was a designed power on the left side, ended up being an outside run on the right side. Not sure who was more surprised to see Davis, Wilkins or USC's RT.

Nope - Inside Zone to the right...but the Cock's Center whiffing on Magwood & McCune (I think) crushing the USC TE down from the backside...and the LG not being able to cutoff the NG caused Davis to see too many bad jerseys in there and, so he bounced it...and then bounced #35 (happens to even the best players on occasion...just a whole lot funnier when it does happen to them!)

SH_Moc
October 23rd, 2014, 11:21 AM
Wilkins got destroyed on that run, holy cow!

chattownmocs
October 23rd, 2014, 11:42 AM
Furman fans have an excuse for everything. You just aren't good. You haven't been good in years. Stop with the excuses already. The non stop hype and discussion about two of the worst teams in the conference (furman. And mercer) continues. What will possibly end it?

SH_Moc
October 23rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
Furman fans have an excuse for everything. You just aren't good. You haven't been good in years. Stop with the excuses already. The non stop hype and discussion about two of the worst teams in the conference (furman. And mercer) continues. What will possibly end it?

Chattownmocs, as a UTC fan I would refrain from Furman bashing. While Chattanooga has won 3 of the last 4, prior to 2010 Furman won 15 straight games against the Mocs. That is what I call dominating a series. While I am happy that the Mocs have had some recent success against the Paladins but until we beat them 15 straight I would advise against slamming Furman.

rokamortis
October 23rd, 2014, 12:22 PM
I don't disagree with you. From what I understand, most of the injuries have occurred in-game or are unrelated to practice. One could not predict a GWU linebacker would roll over Reese Hannon's ankle, for instance. Our LG Tank Philips broke his leg in the WCU game last year, and has just now gotten back to what appears to be full speed.

We are just now getting guys back, however, from injuries that were suffered in offseason workouts. Those are killer. You cannot do much for stuff that happens in a game, but you sure enough can try to limit injuries in practices against your own players.

Much like last season, Furman's play has improved as they continue to get guys back in the lineup. Hank McCloud, who looked like a shadow of his former self the first few weeks of the season, put up 94 yards against Coastal and 104 against USC. He has gotten healthy and benefited greatly from the return of Ernie Cain from a knee injury, who is just a great blocking fullback.

Injuries are a part of football. Still, while losing any starter is a gut punch, having two or three out every single week begins to get tiresome.

Part of what I'm saying about practice is if they are too physical, it may just beat them up more and make them more susceptible to injury. But just a thought.

Speaking of freak accidents against Gardner-Webb. When Tyler Thigpen was our QB many moons ago, we played at GWU and was tackled and down and a GWU guy just lost his balance and fell on him and broke his collarbone. Just a freak accident.

chattanoogamocs
October 23rd, 2014, 12:25 PM
Chattownmocs, as a UTC fan I would refrain from Furman bashing. While Chattanooga has won 3 of the last 4, prior to 2010 Furman won 15 straight games against the Mocs. That is what I call dominating a series. While I am happy that the Mocs have had some recent success against the Paladins but until we beat them 15 straight I would advise against slamming Furman.

SH_Moc...over time you will just learn to ignore Chattown's blathering...like most everyone else on the board (though every once in a while, he will make a reasonable comment). Fortunately, most people don't judge all Moc fans because of the antics of one UTK fan. :)

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2014, 12:28 PM

Try this: on your PC, get to a DOS prompt, then type format c: /fs:NTFS - then just click YES thru everything else and you will no longer be bothered.

SCPALADIN
October 23rd, 2014, 02:22 PM

Why some of you guys still haven't blocked that mental midget's posts from displaying.....perplexing xcrazyx

citdog
October 23rd, 2014, 02:32 PM
Why some of you guys still haven't blocked that mental midget's posts from displaying.....perplexing xcrazyx

what is perplexing actually is why you would feel that was necessary

Toby
October 23rd, 2014, 03:07 PM

Yes I agree that you were respectful and had some good thoughts and opinions. I was just warning all the UTC fans that we are going to be better this week due to your input.

OL FU
October 23rd, 2014, 03:08 PM
what is perplexing actually is why you would feel that was necessary

It isn't necessary, it's required.:)

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2014, 03:16 PM
It isn't necessary, it's required.:)

Nah...I'm with CitDog - every town needs a Gomer and an Ernest T. Bass. With ChattTown, we get both rolled up in 1!

walliver
October 23rd, 2014, 03:26 PM
Nah...I'm with CitDog - every town needs a Gomer and an Ernest T. Bass. With ChattTown, we get both rolled up in 1!

And he makes a good sandwich.

Never diss a guy making your sandwich.

Toby
October 23rd, 2014, 03:27 PM

Advice for Furman. This is not how you defend in the red zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPFOdnLZVM&feature=youtu.be

OL FU
October 23rd, 2014, 03:37 PM

I don't have to have him literally on ignore to ignore him.:)

PaladinFan
October 23rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
Advice for Furman. This is not how you defend in the red zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPFOdnLZVM&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, I'm definitely not sure what happened there, but that is just about the definition of blown coverage.

Had the QB tried to get it to #3, though, he would have been steamrolled. I think that was the plan all along. :)

chattanoogamocs
October 23rd, 2014, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely not sure what happened there, but that is just about the definition of blown coverage.

Had the QB tried to get it to #3, though, he would have been steamrolled. I think that was the plan all along. :)

You wanna see wide open? Check out the first play of the Citadel game...

http://www.socondigitalnetwork.com/chattanooga/video/chattanooga-highlights-chattanooga-vs-citadel

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2014, 06:41 PM

You did it again PF - you're making me want to cry about how much the Bears missed #38 in their offensive scheme vs. Sammy and WCU...he does a lot of things to open up alternatives/opportunities in that offense, much of which goes unseen by the 'casual' fan. I know Toby posted it 1st, but it was seeing it a 2nd time that made me want to cry...so I blame you!

longtimemocfan
October 23rd, 2014, 08:20 PM
SH_Moc...over time you will just learn to ignore Chattown's blathering...like most everyone else on the board (though every once in a while, he will make a reasonable comment). Fortunately, most people don't judge all Moc fans because of the antics of one UTK fan. :)

Very well said. It's like don't feed the troll and he'll go away.

Toby
October 23rd, 2014, 08:21 PM
You wanna see wide open? Check out the first play of the Citadel game...

http://www.socondigitalnetwork.com/chattanooga/video/chattanooga-highlights-chattanooga-vs-citadel

Wow. I watched the whole thing but missed the Citadel highlight plays. Ugly.

chattanoogamocs
October 23rd, 2014, 08:52 PM
Wow. I watched the whole thing but missed the Citadel highlight plays. Ugly.

That was just one of those rare games (at least the first half) where absolutely everything went right on offense or defense for the Mocs. I can't think of a better 30 minutes of football against a DI for Chattanooga in at least the last 15 years. I think most of the Chattanooga fans were as stunned as the Citadel fans were (obviously for different reasons).

citdog
October 23rd, 2014, 09:25 PM
That was just one of those rare games (at least the first half) where absolutely everything went right on offense or defense for the Mocs. I can't think of a better 30 minutes of football against a DI for Chattanooga in at least the last 15 years. I think most of the Chattanooga fans were as stunned as the Citadel fans were (obviously for different reasons).

Fannies were whipped.

chattownmocs
October 24th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Now we have chattanooga fans involved in the "hey, look at how great we were on this play" circle jerk. Who freaking cares. Hey chattanoogamocs. Stop worrying that I am an actual college football fan of both my home state team and my hometown team, that play at different levels. Start worrying about your job performance inside the athletic department because it has plummeted this year.

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Now we have chattanooga fans involved in the "hey, look at how great we were on this play" circle jerk. Who freaking cares. Hey chattanoogamocs. Stop worrying that I am an actual college football fan of both my home state team and my hometown team, that play at different levels. Start worrying about your job performance inside the athletic department because it has plummeted this year.

Ahhh...chattown called me out. It actually made me smile a little to know that I have gotten under his skin of this mental midget. I am just disappointed that he didn't end his post with...

STFU!

(I am trying to figure out how my job performance has plummeted this year...I haven't even worked yet...I just work during basketball season)

chattownmocs
October 24th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Ahhh...chattown called me out. It actually made me smile a little to know that I have gotten under his skin of this mental midget. I am just disappointed that he didn't end his post with...

STFU!

(I am trying to figure out how my job performance has plummeted this year...I haven't even worked yet...I just work during basketball season)

Mocsvision is trash. You said you worked on it. It sucks this year. and basketball has always sucked. Maybe get a better angle than the baseline.

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Mocsvision is trash. You said you worked on it. It sucks this year. and basketball has always sucked. Maybe get a better angle than the baseline.

I will send your suggestion up the chain of command where I am sure it will be given the serious consideration it deserves.

Thanks for watching! xthumbsupx

Toby
October 24th, 2014, 02:02 PM
xslapfightxxpopcornx

kdinva
October 24th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Mocsvision is trash...... and basketball has always sucked. Maybe get a better angle than the baseline.

gotta be better than televising a hoops game from Chuck South's "arena"......a fixed camera in the baseline corner, they don't have that "Crow's nest" above the side bleachers for cameras.

The Cats
October 24th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I will send your suggestion up the chain of command where I am sure it will be given the serious consideration it deserves.

Thanks for watching! xthumbsupx

Wonder how tough it is to carry on a conversation with yourself? xcoffeex xblahx

chattanoogamocs
October 24th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Wonder how tough it is to carry on a conversation with yourself? xcoffeex xblahx

You'll have to explain better what you mean by that.

Sandlapper Spike
October 25th, 2014, 09:44 AM
gotta be better than televising a hoops game from Chuck South's "arena"......a fixed camera in the baseline corner, they don't have that "Crow's nest" above the side bleachers for cameras.

Charleston Southern is currently practicing at a local private high school's gym because one of the backboards in the BucDome was broken a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't been fixed yet. There is a chance it won't be ready by the time the season starts.

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 03:35 PM
SoCon Standing and Remaining SoCon Schedules

4-0 Chattanooga: @WCU, Wofford, @Furman
4-0 Western Carolina: UTC, @Samford, VMI
3-1 Wofford: @UTC, @Furman, Mercer
3-2 Samford: WCU, @Citadel
1-2 Furman: @VMI, @Citadel, Wofford, UTC
1-4 Mercer: Citadel, @Wofford
0-3 Citadel: @Mercer, Furman, Samford, @VMI
0-4 VMI: Furman, @WCU, Citadel

SoCon Scores

Mercer 31
Chattanooga 38
A: 10,763

VMI 3
Wofford 38
A: 8,010

Samford 45
Furman 0
A: 8,047

The Citadel 15
Western Carolina 29
A: 13,323 (10th largest at E.J. Whitmire Stadium)

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 06:25 PM
10,692 Chattanooga
14,285 Jacksonville State
8,872 Samford
8,848 VMI
10,763 Mercer

10,027 Western Carolina
8,929 Brevard
10,511 Catawba
7,343 Wofford
13,323 The Citadel

9,946 Mercer
10,027 Reinhardt
12,227 Furman
10,173 Ave Maria
8,027 Austin Peay
9,277 Western Carolina

9,476 The Citadel
10,828 Coastal Carolina
8,573 Gardner-Webb
10,467 Charlotte
8,037 Chattanooga

8,179 Furman
7,533 Gardner-Webb
9,789 Western Carolina
7,347 Coastal Carolina
8,047 Samford

7,942 Wofford
7,392 North Greenville
7,108 UVA-Wise
9,259 The Citadel
8,010 VMI

5,614 Samford
4,968 Stillman
4,618 VMI
8,714 Mercer
4,157 Wofford

5,198 VMI
4,479 Davidson
4,490 Mercer
6,624 Gardner-Webb

2013 Attendance:
13,155 The Citadel
9,922 Chattanooga
9,379 Mercer
8,299 Furman
8,241 Western Carolina
7,773 Wofford
7,512 Samford
5,046 VMI

tenNesseeCat
October 25th, 2014, 09:45 PM
WCU should take the top spot in attendance after next weeks big show down in Cullowhee! Do you think UTC will bring a good crowd?

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 09:50 PM
WCU should take the top spot in attendance after next weeks big show down in Cullowhee! Do you think UTC will bring a good crowd?

They would need 13,354 to pull into a tie in attendance (the Mocs have one home game left...two weeks from today vs Wofford).

I would think with such a big game on the line that at least a few hundred would make the scenic drive up to Cullowhee...but if the forecast is really going to be 58 and rain, that might put a damper on things (for UTC attendance...and overall for WCU to try and move in front of Chattanooga in attendance this year)

EDIT: I am not sure were that weather forecast came from (someone said it on this board in another thread or on Mocfans...I just looked, it says mid 50's and only a 10% chance)

chattanoogamocs
October 25th, 2014, 09:53 PM
If the weather is nice, I might tag along with some of the SID staff...I have never been to Cullowhee for a football game (plenty of other times...and for basketball...but never for football)

OrangeJuice
October 26th, 2014, 05:04 AM
I expect our HC game next Saturday versus The Citadel will put Mercer over the 10,000 attendance average for the year as well.