PDA

View Full Version : SoCon O & D POTY???

DinoDex200
November 7th, 2006, 02:41 PM
(More Speculating from DD200)

Who ya got?

My heart wants it to be an App sweep with Kevin Richardson and Marques Murrell (or maybe Wiggins).

My head says probably KR and Chad Nkang...who is deserving. Of course, Jerome Felton will be up there, too...but I think the fact that Richardson has alot more rushing yards, and almost as many TD's, will give him the edge

Freshman of the year should be a no brainer...although Huggins from Elon might give Edwards a run for the money.

They give away FOTY, right?

I'd probably vote for Lembo or Higgins for Coach of the Year.

Black Saturday
November 7th, 2006, 02:55 PM
My vote is for KR based on his performances and the fact we will have swept the conference. To the victor go the spoils.

HiHiYikas
November 7th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Even with Felton missing some key playing time with an injury, Felton/Richardson is too close to call, IMO.

I certainly hope it's KR, though.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Its close, but it wouldn't surprise me if we swept the awards

boonedocks
November 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I think KR has a great shot, I also feel while Murrell is my homer pick you have to include Mohring from GSU in the conversation. He really is a great player.

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I think Buckley at UTC has a shot in there. He's well ahead of everyone else in terms of yardage. I think Felton and Richardson are a toss up.

I know Murrell is a good player, but I don't think he's even the best defensive player on ASU's team, much less the best defensive player in the league. That award will go to Nkang with Morhing, Furman's Jones, and ASU's Wiggins in close pursuit.

HiHiYikas
November 7th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I think Buckley at UTC has a shot in there. He's well ahead of everyone else in terms of yardage. I think Felton and Richardson are a toss up.

I know Murrell is a good player, but I don't think he's even the best defensive player on ASU's team, much less the best defensive player in the league. That award will go to Nkang with Morhing, Furman's Jones, and ASU's Wiggins in close pursuit.
You're exactly right about Buckley - unless his Mocs' poor record hurts him. That ASU held him to a little over 50 yards suggests to me that a Mountaineer ought to win Defensive player of the year. I can see other defensive players in the SoCon getting considereation, though. ASU does make it hard to pick a best defensive player. Lots of guys with 60 or more tackles, a team average of only 3.9 yards per play. Wiggins leading the conference in INT's, Murrell leading in sacks and forced fumbles. Nkang, Mohring, and Jones all look good, too.

ASU definitely sweeps if the voters subscribe to the "to the winner go the spoils" theory. The question is, will they?

Appdad
November 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
To the victor's go the spoils!

FUwolfpacker
November 7th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Offensive Player of the Year: Buckley or Richardson

Buckley and Richardson are the two front runners in my mind. I'd like to say Felton was a front runner, but he doesn't have the yards to win considering he only has four more TD's than Richardson. Felton is asked to do more with blocking, so that takes away from his numbers some, but that isn't factored into the award. Plus he's been banged up the last few games, so that's hurt him some. KR has 11 more TD's but about 200 yards less than Buckley. I think Buckley's yards are more impressive considering the team around Richardson is much better. It's pretty close call in my opinion. Both guys are very deserving though.

Defensive Player of the Year: Nkang, Murrell, or Wiggins

Mohring, A. Jones, and Tharrington are all having great years, but I think those 3 have the best shot at winning. Just my opinion though.

Freshman of the Year: Armanti Edwards

No doubt in my mind about this one...doesn't even need an explination.

KiddBrewer
November 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM
offensive- K. Rich
defensive- mohring or wiggins
freshman- armanti

seantaylor
November 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Mohring is the best defensive player in the conference hands down. I don't think he will win, and that will be a shame.

gophoenix
November 7th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Does Hudgins count for freshman of the year being a redshirt freshman?

He's a good player, but also was injured in the 2nd drive of the Furman game and didn't play and is questionable for A&T. That could hurt him a lot.

But he's near 1000 yards on the season with 2 passing TDs as well. I dunno. He's good, but Edwards has great numbers and success behind him.

As for Nkang, lower numbers this year than last, though still leads the conference in a few categories. The fewer plays due to new clock rules makes him look like he is slumping.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2006, 07:58 PM
As for Nkang, lower numbers this year than last, though still leads the conference in a few categories. The fewer plays due to new clock rules makes him look like he is slumping.

Elon is a better overall team. He has more help and doesn't have to do it all. That to me is why his numbers are down

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Mohring is the best defensive player in the conference hands down. I don't think he will win, and that will be a shame.

Morhing is good, but saying hands down is a bit of a stretch.