PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-13

JALMOND
October 15th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Hard to imagine but we are now halfway through the season and things are clearing up, somewhat. But if the conference stays true to form, just when it seems things are clear, they become muddled, and this season could be very muddled very soon. Here are this week's Big Sky conference rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only and all up for discussion. I have to say, this season has probably been the toughest one in the 11 years I've been doing this. Anyway, here you go...

1. Eastern Washington (1)---No quarterback, no problem for the Big Sky's version of Quarterback U. All the Eagles did last weekend was go down to Southern Utah without their star quarterback and came back with a win. No big deal. This weekend, they stay at home and welcome Northern Colorado to their red turf.

2. Montana State (2)---Think that the Bobcats may struggle on the road last week at UC-Davis? Well, maybe early on, but the Bobcats could not be stopped to the tune of 77 points. Oh, yeah, they won the game. This weekend they get another shot at a big point total as Weber State comes to town.

3. Montana (3)---The Grizzlies took a week off last week after coming home with a last second, exciting win at North Dakota. Eager to get back in the conference battles, they welcome hapless UC-Davis to their home crowd.

4. Cal Poly (4)---The Mustangs took care of business on the road last week, getting a win at Weber State. Looking better than they did early on, this weekend they head out to Sacramento State to try to keep their hopes alive. No use trying to look ahead.

5. Idaho State (5)---The Bengals welcomed DII Simon Fraser to their big barn and, like all good Big Sky teams, dispatched them back to Canada with a loss. Now returning to conference action, they stay at home and play Southern Utah.

6. Northern Arizona (6)---The Lumberjacks also took last week off, and they probably needed to after their stunning loss two weeks ago at Northern Colorado. They get a chance to get back right with a trip this weekend to Portland State.

7. Sacramento State (7)---The Hornets headed out to Northern Colorado to try to get a important win and they succeeded. Thinking they now are back on the right foot, this weekend they entertain Cal Poly in a good matchup.

8. Southern Utah (8)---The Thunderbirds did their best to try to derail the strong Eastern Washington team last weekend, but they found themselves down at the end. They get another shot to stop a dream season as they go to Idaho State this weekend.

9. North Dakota (11)---After two close losses to the state of Montana, the No-Names bounced back in the second half to steal a win against Portland State. They may be eager to build on this success, but they draw the short straw this weekend and stay home.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---After their surprising win against Northern Arizona, the Bears took one on the chin last weekend at home against Sacramento State. This weekend, they move up to the red inferno at Eastern Washington.

11. Portland State (9)---The Vikings watched a sure win slip through their fingers last weekend at North Dakota, seriously damaging their season ambitions. Needing a win in the worst way, this weekend they entertain Northern Arizona.

12. Weber State (13)---Looking for their first win of the season, the Wildcats put up a strong effort last weekend against Cal Poly only to once again come up short. Things get worse for them this weekend as they go to Montana State.

13. UC-Davis (12)---Well, the Aggies chances in their game at home last weekend against Montana State went terribly awry, surrendering 77 points in a loss. They need to bounce back, but things do get easier as this weekend they go play at Montana.

RECAP: 1-2 together, 3 alone, 4-8 getting separated from 9-13, which is still bunched together.

cpalum
October 15th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks for this...If Cal Poly can continue to improve on defense they will be worthy of #4, maybe even #3 depending on how Montana does over the next few weeks. To stay relevant Cal Poly needs a win at Sac this weekend.....then they get Montana State and Montana at home. In the next three weeks they are either a playoff team or fall to the middle of the conference.

tomq04
October 15th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Cal Poly at home has a chance against the Montana's. Certainly would put a wrench in things.

GetEmGriz
October 15th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't say having to go to Montana and play Montana as "things do get easier" for the aggies. UC Davis doesn't have much of an offense, and Montana actually has a defense.

F'N Hawks
October 15th, 2014, 01:15 PM
NAU at #6. You like what they have shown this year?

tomq04
October 15th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't say having to go to Montana and play Montana as "things do get easier" for the aggies. UC Davis doesn't have much of an offense, and Montana actually has a defense.

lol

wapiti
October 15th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I thought I would list out who I think is still in the playoff hunt. Using 7 Div 1 wins to earn consideration for playoffs.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Yes, 5 games left. Two more W's for the 7 win total.

2. Montana State (2)--- Yes, 5 games left. Three more W's

3. Montana (3)---Yes, 6 games left. Four more W's

4. Cal Poly (4)--- Yes, 6 games left. Four more W's

5. Idaho State (5)--- Yes, 6 games left, but must win out to get 7 Div 1 wins.

6. Northern Arizona (6)---Yes, 6 games left. Five more W's

7. Sacramento State (7)---Yes, 5 games left. Four more W's

8. Southern Utah (8)---Nope, 5 games left. Cannot reach the 7 win total.

9. North Dakota (11)---Yes, 5 games left. Four more W's

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Yes, 5 games left. Must win or out.

11. Portland State (9)---Yes, 6 games left. Must win or out.

12. Weber State (13)---Nope, 6 games left. Cannot reach the 7 win total.

13. UC-Davis (12)---Nope, 5 games left. Cannot reach the 7 win total.

Rjones61
October 15th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I thought I would list out who I think is still in the playoff hunt. Using 7 Div 1 wins to earn consideration for playoffs.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Yes, 5 games left. Two more W's for the 7 win total.

Good post, surprising how high SUU is without snowball's chance of making it to playoffs.

bojeta
October 15th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I think #4 is the correct spot for Cal Poly right now. They should actually be 3-0 in Big Sky play with an additional win over Big Sky member Portland State. In the attached videos, you will see that lightening can indeed strike twice. The Weber State back who is clearly down, ends up running for a bogus TD (2:04 to 2:30 in the video). The exact same thing happened in the NAU game, partly accounting for the Cal Poly loss. Two "block in the back" calls which replays showed never happened, likely resulted in an additional one or two TD differential. Yeah.... waaah.... I know. Just talking about it in relation to the ranking. Bottom line is the Mustangs likely must win out now for playoff consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9-Grx_9GtGs

NAU game with replay from angle showing player was down omitted at frame time 4:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JyDHfMTElA

darell1976
October 15th, 2014, 05:41 PM

We can do it!!!!!xthumbsupx

MTfan4life
October 15th, 2014, 06:12 PM

They did gain over 600 yards last week and have Gabe Manzanares, who, when healthy, is arguably one of the best running backs in the conference. They're not great, but they have a better offense than the first two conference opponents.

Also, has the defense actually proven they're THAT great? You can claim they held NDSU to 22 points, but the defense looked porous at best outside the red zone in that game. Aside from that game, Montana hasn't faced an offense that's worth anything. Out of South Dakota, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, and Wyoming, UNC is the only one who has averaged over 20 points a game on D1 opponents and that's because they've played Sac State and Houston Baptist.

I can't talk for others, but I know I'm not yet convinced enough stand on a rooftop and claim that Montana has a great defense this season. They've simply been VERY fortunate with the quality of offenses on their schedule so far. The true test will come in the second half of the season when they face 4 extremely talented offensive teams in Cal Poly, Sac State, Eastern Washington, and MSU. xtwocentsx

Grizalltheway
October 15th, 2014, 06:52 PM
They did gain over 600 yards last week and have Gabe Manzanares, who, when healthy, is arguably one of the best running backs in the conference. They're not great, but they have a better offense than the first two conference opponents.

Also, has the defense actually proven they're THAT great? You can claim they held NDSU to 22 points, but the defense looked porous at best outside the red zone in that game. Aside from that game, Montana hasn't faced an offense that's worth anything. Out of South Dakota, North Dakota, Northern Colorado, and Wyoming, UNC is the only one who has averaged over 20 points a game on D1 opponents and that's because they've played Sac State and Houston Baptist.

I can't talk for others, but I know I'm not yet convinced enough stand on a rooftop and claim that Montana has a great defense this season. They've simply been VERY fortunate with the quality of offenses on their schedule so far. The true test will come in the second half of the season when they face 4 extremely talented offensive teams in Cal Poly, Sac State, Eastern Washington, and MSU. xtwocentsx

I agree with all of this, but saying they have it easier by playing at Montana is silly. Jalmond just likes to take shots at the Griz every now and then.

Either that or he meant to say "don't".

robsnotes4u
October 15th, 2014, 07:19 PM
I agree with all of this, but saying they have it easier by playing at Montana is silly. Jalmond just likes to take shots at the Griz every now and then.

Either that or he meant to say "don't". I think you are reading into it too much. I believe he is saying that it will be easier offensively. They will not need to score 78 to win. That doesn't mean the game is easier

JALMOND
October 15th, 2014, 08:17 PM

Either that or he meant to say "don't".

Yes, big typo. It should read as "things don't get much easier". I did proofread it, must have missed that one. xembarrassedx

SactoHornetFan
October 15th, 2014, 10:32 PM
You have NAU who lost at UNC over the Hornets who won at UNC?!? xcrazyxxcrazyxxsmashx

And basically was a botched kickoff from beating MSU at home? Man you've been sucking those Portlandia weed fumes wayyyyy too long!

Rjones61
October 16th, 2014, 12:57 AM
You have NAU who lost at UNC over the Hornets who won at UNC?!? xcrazyxxcrazyxxsmashx

And basically was a botched kickoff from beating MSU at home? Man you've been sucking those Portlandia weed fumes wayyyyy too long!

I think the conference is banking on Sears messing everything up at SAC.

Red & Black
October 16th, 2014, 05:44 AM

Nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red & Black
October 16th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I think #4 is the correct spot for Cal Poly right now. They should actually be 3-0 in Big Sky play with an additional win over Big Sky member Portland State. In the attached videos, you will see that lightening can indeed strike twice. The Weber State back who is clearly down, ends up running for a bogus TD (2:04 to 2:30 in the video). The exact same thing happened in the NAU game, partly accounting for the Cal Poly loss. Two "block in the back" calls which replays showed never happened, likely resulted in an additional one or two TD differential. Yeah.... waaah.... I know. Just talking about it in relation to the ranking. Bottom line is the Mustangs likely must win out now for playoff consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9-Grx_9GtGs

NAU game with replay from angle showing player was down omitted at frame time 4:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JyDHfMTElA

Expandos? ;)

bojeta
October 16th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Expandos? ;)

Expanding my blood pressure!! 19874

Red & Black
October 16th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Expanding my blood pressure!! 19874

The NAU one is kind of hard to tell because of the shadow, but in the one on the bottom he certainly looks down.

veinup
October 16th, 2014, 06:49 PM
why dont we have replay ffs?

bojeta
October 17th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Big Sky is getting replay next year, except, ironically, for Cal Poly, and Davis because they are affiliate members, and would have to cough up the entire cost on their own. I've heard a couple of people state we might get it anyway. I sure hope so. At least we won't get totally screwed when traveling!

tomq04
October 17th, 2014, 05:10 PM
If Idaho State plays huge against SUU, they will have some good momentum going into their final stretch, watch out.

Grizalltheway
October 17th, 2014, 05:17 PM
If Idaho State plays huge against SUU, they will have some good momentum going into their final stretch, watch out.

With the way SUU's D has looked this year, it's hard to imagine that one being anything other than a blowout. Kind of crazy how they went from being one of the best defenses in the country to one of the worst in just one season.

Red & Black
October 17th, 2014, 05:42 PM

Idaho State is going to crush SUU.

Rjones61
October 17th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Idaho State is going to crush SUU.

Indeed. SUU is a joke this year.

Red & Black
October 17th, 2014, 06:01 PM
With the way SUU's D has looked this year, it's hard to imagine that one being anything other than a blowout. Kind of crazy how they went from being one of the best defenses in the country to one of the worst in just one season.

I think they would be doing better if you were still on the bandwagon.

tomq04
October 17th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Idaho State remaining schedule:

10/18/2014
Southern Utah University (Hall of Fame Game)
Pocatello, Idaho
2:35 p.m.
Details

10/25/2014
University of Northern Colorado
Greeley, CO
1:30 p.m.
Details

11/1/2014
Portland State University
Portland, OR
5:35 p.m. (MST)
Details

11/8/2014
Cal Poly
Pocatello, Idaho
Details

11/15/2014
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT
Details

11/22/2014
Weber State University
Pocatello, Idaho
Details

They can win all of these games, would make for an interesting finish. I do suspect Montana State should win in bozeman, but they are historically poor in november.

MTfan4life
October 17th, 2014, 07:01 PM

10/18/2014
Pocatello, Idaho
Details

10/25/2014
Greeley, CO
Details

11/1/2014
Portland, OR
Details

11/8/2014
Cal Poly
Pocatello, Idaho
Details

11/15/2014
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT
Details

11/22/2014
Weber State University
Pocatello, Idaho
Details

They can win all of these games, would make for an interesting finish. I do suspect Montana State should win in bozeman, but they are historically poor in november.

Keep an eye on October 25th. The last time Idaho State won a road game, Saddam Hussein was still alive. They've lost 48 straight road games since beating Northern Colorado in Greeley in 2006.

CrazyCat
October 17th, 2014, 07:51 PM

Are they ? Ash has had 2 losing records in November. Last year and his first year.

Red & Black
October 17th, 2014, 08:55 PM

10/18/2014
Pocatello, Idaho
Details

10/25/2014
Greeley, CO
Details

11/1/2014
Portland, OR
Details

11/8/2014
Cal Poly
Pocatello, Idaho
Details

11/15/2014
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT
Details

11/22/2014
Weber State University
Pocatello, Idaho
Details

I think they win 5 out of 6 of those games.

tomq04
October 17th, 2014, 10:16 PM
I apologize for the use of word historically. They crapped the bed last year, can they over come this year?

Grizalltheway
October 18th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Last year wasn't the only time they crapped the bed...