yorkcountyUNHfan
October 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Big step for your program....congratulations

PAllen
October 14th, 2014, 07:45 PM
xthumbsupx

bonarae
October 14th, 2014, 08:40 PM
xthumbsupx Even though both are MAC, nevertheless better competition for the Hawks.

centennial
October 15th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Wish the MAC would schedule us..

RichH2
October 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Well done,Good luck.

DFW HOYA
October 15th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Monmouth can play I-A opponents. Georgetown can play Marist. xbangx

JMG1MON
October 15th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Extremely excited about this!!! Amazing to see how the program has grown since I was at Monmouth.

Dave195
October 15th, 2014, 09:59 PM
3 more years in the Big South then on to the CAA to replace James Madison. You heard it here 1st folks

UNHWildcat18
October 15th, 2014, 10:14 PM
3 more years in the Big South then on to the CAA to replace James Madison. You heard it here 1st folks

Until you have a 8-10k stadium I doubt it.

Dane96
October 15th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Exactly. That was word for word what was told to Monmouth. I love the rivalry we had with Monmouth, and I'd welcome it again...but Monmouth has a facility issue that the CAA won't look past.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2014, 10:36 PM
3 more years in the Big South then on to the Patriot League

FIFY

Dave195
October 15th, 2014, 10:47 PM
The Patriot League is the other possibility. Our new president just came from Lehigh so you never know. I think the CAA is a slightly better fit though. Monmouth is building a new stadium this winter and if they just moved their current stands to the other side of the field they'd have the 8-10k. Pretty sure they won't though. #Zoning. A link to the new concept is below. We're increasing scholarships, added an ESPN rights agreement, and went to a new conference that doesn't fit geographically (Stony Brook plan). PS - @Dane96.. I love what Albany has done so far with their new stadium.

http://www.monmouthhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14300&ATCLID=209388178

Dane96
October 16th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Appreciate the thanks for Albany. Believe me, we went through (and still are going through) political, financial, and community issues for the stadium. Getting it to the 24,000 seat level will be a long and arduous task...so we can appreciate the pains Monmouth is going through.

I really hope that Gattusso schedules an OOC with Monmouth soon. We had some great battles with you guys. Good luck with the zoning...if that ever happens they'd be a great fit for the CAA.

DFW HOYA
October 16th, 2014, 12:47 PM
The Patriot League is the other possibility. Our new president just came from Lehigh so you never know. I think the CAA is a slightly better fit though.
http://www.monmouthhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14300&ATCLID=209388178

I think Monmouth is well positioned for both scenarios, but the Big South is not a long term option.

Most schools that are affiliate members have a back-up plan. PL fans are adamant that Fordham would never, ever leave the PL, but if James Madison moves up, Fordham, Monmouth and probably Liberty are on Tom Yeager's short list. Some could suggest Holy Cross (with a pivot to the A-10 in other sports) but that's not likely.

That's neither good nor bad, it's the way conference changes go.

Dave195
October 16th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Liberty is trying desperately to move up to the FBS level. Also, slightly unrelated news: Kennesaw St. is coming to the Big South next yr but I still don't know if that conference can survive. Liberty desperately wants to leave, Monmouth is almost certainly leaving in 3 years, and there have been rumors about CC as well. Hadn't heard Fordham wanting to switch conferences though.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2014, 02:09 PM
If the CAA hates Monmouth's stadium, they will like Fordham's stadium even less.

BucBisonAtLarge
October 16th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Fordham has endured a lot in the Patriot League, going scholly before everyone else was ready. This year they are eligible for the League title and autobid for the first time in a while. Now they'd go? I doubt it. Monmouth is a MAAC school with football now and the CAA makes more sense than the Big South, if they can make that transition. Campbell might be persuaded to upgrade from the Pioneer, as they are an all-sports member of the BSo.

Bogus Megapardus
October 16th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Fordham, Monmouth and probably Liberty are on Tom Yeager's short list. Some could suggest Holy Cross (with a pivot to the A-10 in other sports) but that's not likely.

If he tries to poach Fordham, I just hope the resulting slap fight between Tom Yeager and Carolyn Schlie Femovich gets live coverage on PLN.

rokamortis
October 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM
JMU is leaving? Which conference are they headed to?

xcoffeex

Go...gate
October 16th, 2014, 10:16 PM
I hope Fordham stays. However, I log on to the Rams' Voyforums board and see the negative feelings many of their posters have for the PL, and I wonder.

mattyice718
October 17th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Nice work Monmouth. Do you intend to expand your stadium at any point in time? Also wouldn't mind a game up the street at RU once you get acclimated to the FCS level lol

Dane96
October 17th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Monmouth is undergoing a nice renovation of their stands. However, expanding is just unlikely because of the fight the local community will put up. Just getting their new arena in place was a nightmare. It would be great if they can expand...but it will require some unbelievably special "political juggling".

ccd494
October 17th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I can't see any of Monmouth, Fordham or Liberty joining the CAA.

The problem for Monmouth and Fordham is that adding any northern school will be seen by the America East schools (Maine, UNH, Albany, Stony Brook) as an opportunity to expand the AE. Neither Monmouth nor Fordham would be interested in moving from the MAAC or the PL to AE. However, I have to believe that if Central Connecticut or Bryant had anywhere to park their football teams (other than the Big South) they would already be AE members. Neither have the on-field success of Fordham lately, but both have been respectable. And their facilities are fine, and expandable without the issues Monmouth faces. Plus, I think both schools (Bryant especially) would very willingly ramp up scholarships.

Liberty's issue is and remains that it is Liberty. The athletics are plenty good enough. The religion, yikes. Not a partner that northeast publics are looking for. W&M and Richmond can put their heads together on another southern option.

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Also wouldn't mind a game up the street at RU once you get acclimated to the FCS level.

This is a much better choice for the Scarlett Knights than is Princeton. A game that deserves to be played and an opponent that Rutgers fans actually have heard of and one with which they have much in common.

From what I've read and heard about that FCS level, though, acclimation could be a very long and difficult process. Has anyone ever done it?

UNHWildcat18
October 17th, 2014, 11:53 AM

The problem for Monmouth and Fordham is that adding any northern school will be seen by the America East schools (Maine, UNH, Albany, Stony Brook) as an opportunity to expand the AE. Neither Monmouth nor Fordham would be interested in moving from the MAAC or the PL to AE. However, I have to believe that if Central Connecticut or Bryant had anywhere to park their football teams (other than the Big South) they would already be AE members. Neither have the on-field success of Fordham lately, but both have been respectable. And their facilities are fine, and expandable without the issues Monmouth faces. Plus, I think both schools (Bryant especially) would very willingly ramp up scholarships.

Liberty's issue is and remains that it is Liberty. The athletics are plenty good enough. The religion, yikes. Not a partner that northeast publics are looking for. W&M and Richmond can put their heads together on another southern option.

The thing is though is that I doubt CCSU or Bryant would ramp the facilities to be accepted to caa. So unless they have NEC affiliate membership I don't see them going to AE. If monmouth was able to build on both sides and maybe on an endzeone to be at like 8.5-10k maybe but I don't see anyone joining the CAA from the north. Next school if any will be from the south

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2014, 12:20 PM
The thing is though is that I doubt CCSU or Bryant would ramp the facilities to be accepted to caa. So unless they have NEC affiliate membership I don't see them going to AE. If monmouth was able to build on both sides and maybe on an endzeone to be at like 8.5-10k maybe but I don't see anyone joining the CAA from the north. Next school if any will be from the south

This is just a guess, but I'd imagine that Bryant would rather go Patriot League and Monmouth would rather go CAA. I know there are vocal Fordham fans would like to see the Rams in the CAA (or even in FBS) but I think also the Fordham administration worked very hard throughout the PL scholarship ordeal in order to remain in PL football. CConn has had a bit of interaction with PL football and it is almost perfectly located, but persuading the Board of Regents to institute the PL academic index would be beyond problematic, I would imagine. And definitely, the next CAA member is going to have to be from Virginia or south.

Dave195
October 17th, 2014, 12:42 PM

Liberty wants to go FBS not CAA & you're right about the religion. YIKES lol

Dave195
October 17th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Nice work Monmouth. Do you intend to expand your stadium at any point in time? Also wouldn't mind a game up the street at RU once you get acclimated to the FCS level lol

I'd love to play Rutgers in football one day. They're coming to West Long Branch this year for basketball which will be fun. I'm going to go up there next season for the football game against Maryland (my Father's alma mater). Monmouth is still at least a few years away from playing a Big 10 team in football though lol

ccd494
October 17th, 2014, 01:07 PM
This is just a guess, but I'd imagine that Bryant would rather go Patriot League and Monmouth would rather go CAA. I know there are vocal Fordham fans would like to see the Rams in the CAA (or even in FBS) but I think also the Fordham administration worked very hard throughout the PL scholarship ordeal in order to remain in PL football. CConn has had a bit of interaction with PL football and it is almost perfectly located, but persuading the Board of Regents to institute the PL academic index would be beyond problematic, I would imagine. And definitely, the next CAA member is going to have to be from Virginia or south.

Bryant meets PL academic requirements? That blows my mind. Bryant has always been the New England private school of last resort. Can't get into the Ivy's? There's the NESCAC. Can't get into the NESCAC? Try the Catholics or BU. Didn't make the cut? Have $35k/year burning a hole in your pocket? Here's your schedule at Quinnipiac or Bryant.

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Bryant meets PL academic requirements?

It does not. But Bryant, as a private school, would have a much easier time of implementing the AI (if that's what it wanted) than would a public Board of Regents that governs four different institutions such as in Connecticut. Also my point is that Bryant likely would prefer the PL to the CAA, not that it (or any of the other moves/changes suggested in this thread) are likely to happen.

ccd494
October 17th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I think there's a mutual attraction between Bryant and the AE. CCSU makes more sense (8/9 schools in the AE are public, Hartford the lone exception). But Bryant makes geographic sense and plays a lot of the AE schools already in a number of sports. It's a peer athletic institution, if not academic. What to do with football is the big question mark.

Say what you want about the America East, but it may be one of three or four conferences in America that you can still look at the list of members and say "that conference makes sense." You have the state flagships of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont; the three SUNYs (how you want to rank them is up to you); the "#2" campuses of Massachusetts and Maryland; and then Catholic school Hartford, who are a pretty good fit for an "odd duckling" of the conference.

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I think there's a mutual attraction between Bryant and the AE. CCSU makes more sense (8/9 schools in the AE are public, Hartford the lone exception). But Bryant makes geographic sense and plays a lot of the AE schools already in a number of sports. It's a peer athletic institution, if not academic. What to do with football is the big question mark.

Say what you want about the America East, but it may be one of three or four conferences in America that you can still look at the list of members and say "that conference makes sense." You have the state flagships of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont; the three SUNYs (how you want to rank them is up to you); the "#2" campuses of Massachusetts and Maryland; and then Catholic school Hartford, who are a pretty good fit for an "odd duckling" of the conference.

America East certainly makes abundant sense but the lingering question, of course, is football. Lax (in particular) and other Bryant sports would be fine in the AE but football has to go somewhere. If Monmouth has set the precedent, the NEC wouldn't allow Bryant (or CConn) as a football-only member.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2014, 02:28 PM

What is pretty hilarious, I just learned, is that Hartford is in the Big Sky for men's golf. Yes, THAT Big Sky.

The AE used to cover all of the Northeast all the way down to Delaware. But football split the conference, Delaware and some of the football-playing schools on one side, BU on the other. Ultimately, BU left for the Patriot League, but the remainder seems pretty happy with the current arrangement of the CAA managing football operations for those schools interested in playing football, and the AE being a basketball/hockey conference.

UAalum72
October 17th, 2014, 03:14 PM
and then Catholic school Hartford, who are a pretty good fit for an "odd duckling" of the conference.Hartford is private, but not Catholic.

UAalum72
October 17th, 2014, 03:17 PM
What is pretty hilarious, I just learned, is that Hartford is in the Big Sky for men's golf. Yes, THAT Big Sky.

Also, America East field hockey has just added U of Pacific, UC-Davis, UC-Berkeley, and Stanford.

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2014, 03:30 PM

Wasn't NJIT in the Big Sky for all sports until recently?

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Also, America East field hockey has just added U of Pacific, UC-Davis, UC-Berkeley, and Stanford.

What happened to the NorPac Field Hockey Conference?

UAalum72
October 17th, 2014, 03:45 PM
What happened to the NorPac Field Hockey Conference?Radford dropped FH, Longwood joined the MAC, Davidson joined the A-10, it was down to six members, the AE needed another member to keep the autobid, I don't know what Liberty and App State will do.

Sader87
October 17th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Holy Cross coulda been in the Big Sky Conference ya' know......

Dave195
October 17th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Wasn't NJIT in the Big Sky for all sports until recently?

NJIT wants to be in NEC or AE but those conferences want to see improvements in their facilities etc first.

Dave195
October 17th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Also, what's up with JMU? I know they want in to CUSA w/ ODU and not the Sun Belt (which wants or wanted them).

Go...gate
October 17th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Bryant meets PL academic requirements? That blows my mind. Bryant has always been the New England private school of last resort. Can't get into the Ivy's? There's the NESCAC. Can't get into the NESCAC? Try the Catholics or BU. Didn't make the cut? Have $35k/year burning a hole in your pocket? Here's your schedule at Quinnipiac or Bryant.

Agreed. Admitting Loyola was bad enough.

Just as an aside, Quinnipiac only received an invitation to the ECAC Hockey League because Holy Cross decided not to join. It is a shotgun marriage in the extreme. Q's admission requirements are not even in the same solar system as the rest of the ECACHL. Bryant in the PL for football would be a similar situation.

If the PL is going to do something like this for football-only (and I hope they do not), I think Wagner or Monmouth would have to be the choice.

Sader87
October 17th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I continue to ask: why do we need more membahs for football?

I suppose it gives the league more stability to do so....but I like the size of the PL as is......I'd hate to have 8 or 9 league games and only a couple of OOC contests.

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I continue to ask: why do we need more membahs for football?

We don't. I agree completely. Scheduling OOC competition never has been a problem. Five non-league games provides us with a smorgasbord.

Bogus Megapardus
October 17th, 2014, 10:08 PM
I think Wagner or Monmouth would have to be the choice.

Wagner or Duquesne, possibly, but I agree with Sader87. We don't need to expand PL football.

Dave195
October 18th, 2014, 03:08 AM
Wagner or Duquesne, possibly, but I agree with Sader87. We don't need to expand PL football.

Wagner & Duquesne play in a lower scholarship, lower competition, lesser financed NEC. Wagner didn't even have the funds to move up to the MAAC w/ Monmouth & Quinnipiac.

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2014, 10:04 AM
However, I have to believe that if Central Connecticut or Bryant had anywhere to park their football teams (other than the Big South) they would already be AE members. Neither have the on-field success of Fordham lately, but both have been respectable. And their facilities are fine, and expandable without the issues Monmouth faces. Plus, I think both schools (Bryant especially) would very willingly ramp up scholarships.

I think this is the more likely scenario as well, although as someone else posted, I don't think JMU is headed anywhere in the next 3 years.

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2014, 10:10 AM

CCSU has recently made vast improvements to Arute (expanded seating, new videoboard, and new turf) so that it is already better than Meade at URI and the current facility at UNH (I know the new UNH facility will be much nicer). With a current capacity of 5,500 by adding some endzone seating or expansion of the West (main) grandstand, Central could get to just under 10k without much effort.

Facilities and increased schollys aren't a problem for CCSU - however, an invitation to the AE is what is really needed for the CAA Football situation to work for us.

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2014, 10:14 AM

Impossible. CCSU makes an excellent non-conf opponent for every PL school, but with a roster that is 50%+ in-state students (not to mention the academic qualifications), the Blue Devils couldn't make it happen and would be 100x worse fit than Towson ever was.

aceinthehole
October 18th, 2014, 10:22 AM

Agree. Institutionally, CCSU makes more sense in the AE - a #2 public like UMBC, Lowell - plus it has lots of history with all the existing members that goes back decades, much more than Bryant.

Bryant offers another private school to pair up with Hartford and offers a new market (RI) in the region. Bryant also has a very good MLax team - something the AE would like to have.

CCSU-Hartford would be an excellent rivalry in the league, but the UHa has never wanted CCSU in "their" league. Hartford is private, but not Catholic. Fairfield and Sacred Heart are the Catholic DI programs in the Connecticut.

Danielr11220
October 19th, 2014, 07:57 AM
CCSU and Hartford are both the odd ducks in there conference. One is the private school in the all public league and the other is the one public school in the all private league.

Dane96
October 19th, 2014, 09:04 AM
CCSU has recently made vast improvements to Arute (expanded seating, new videoboard, and new turf) so that it is already better than Meade at URI and the current facility at UNH (I know the new UNH facility will be much nicer). With a current capacity of 5,500 by adding some endzone seating or expansion of the West (main) grandstand, Central could get to just under 10k without much effort.

Facilities and increased schollys aren't a problem for CCSU - however, an invitation to the AE is what is really needed for the CAA Football situation to work for us.

Is this not reversed? An invitation to the CAA would allow you to come to the AE, likely. If you came to the AE without a guarantee for Big South or CAA football...you'd be in the "land without a conference".

dgreco
October 19th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Since when is Bryant a school of last resort?

I know Bryant isn't on par with the PL schools. The closet school academically is Marist and Bryant isn't that far behind Marist. Also, I wouldn't put Wagner above Bryant academically, close but not above. Also, other than Wagner, Bryant is head and shoulder above of the rest of the NEC schools.

I think the MAAC schools -- academically are the closest to Bryant.

As for the conference discussions, I know Bryant originally was seeking membership in the PL but it fell short. Bryant has had the opportunity to move to the MAAC and balked at the chance, and I am somewhat confident Bryant wouldn't make the jump to AEast -- even if they had somewhere else to place football.

I see CConn following Monmouth's steps well before Bryant ever does.

aceinthehole
October 19th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Is this not reversed? An invitation to the CAA would allow you to come to the AE, likely. If you came to the AE without a guarantee for Big South or CAA football...you'd be in the "land without a conference".

Yeah, your right - it's really a chicken/egg discussion.

CCSU can't leave for the AE without a guaranteeing a spot for football in the CAA. On the other hand, we can't move football to the CAA without the deal to move the other sports to the AE. They both have to happen simultaneously as part of a package deal.

Central will NOT follow the Stony Brook/Monmouth model of Big South football - that is 100% out of the question. So the bottom line is that Central will stay in the NEC for the foreseeable future, unless there is an offer on the table for AE/CAA Football just like UA, SBU, Maine, and UNH.

UNHWildcat18
October 19th, 2014, 07:54 PM

Do you think that CCSU would ever build permanent CONCRETE structures behind both or one endzone, as well as maybe redoing the current home side? I know they have new bleachers on the other side but its not.....like a reallll stadium expansion. Not trying to hate or make fun of just wondering?

dgreco
October 20th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Yeah, your right - it's really a chicken/egg discussion.

CCSU can't leave for the AE without a guaranteeing a spot for football in the CAA. On the other hand, we can't move football to the CAA without the deal to move the other sports to the AE. They both have to happen simultaneously as part of a package deal.

Central will NOT follow the Stony Brook/Monmouth model of Big South football - that is 100% out of the question. So the bottom line is that Central will stay in the NEC for the foreseeable future, unless there is an offer on the table for AE/CAA Football just like UA, SBU, Maine, and UNH.

Do they make the jump to AEast and go indy in football and hope to find a home?

ccd494
October 20th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Since when is Bryant a school of last resort?

I know Bryant isn't on par with the PL schools. The closet school academically is Marist and Bryant isn't that far behind Marist. Also, I wouldn't put Wagner above Bryant academically, close but not above. Also, other than Wagner, Bryant is head and shoulder above of the rest of the NEC schools.

I mean, I know that it isn't letting in the kids who don't or barely graduate high school, but it seemed to be where the upper middle class kids with mediocre grades ended up. Bryant, Elon, Quinnipiac... all seemed to be the same basic school.

dgreco
October 20th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I mean, I know that it isn't letting in the kids who don't or barely graduate high school, but it seemed to be where the upper middle class kids with mediocre grades ended up. Bryant, Elon, Quinnipiac... all seemed to be the same basic school.

To be fair, many of my friends did end up at elon -- and fit into your "criteria." Also, when I was a student at Bryant we did have a bunch of Long Island bros

Bill
October 20th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Guys, hasn't Elon undergone a rather large transformation with its academic profile in the past 15 years? Granted, I'm looking at it from afar, but it is now "selective" and the #1 Regional Southern University, for whatever that's worth...

aceinthehole
October 20th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Do you think that CCSU would ever build permanent CONCRETE structures behind both or one endzone, as well as maybe redoing the current home side? I know they have new bleachers on the other side but its not.....like a reallll stadium expansion. Not trying to hate or make fun of just wondering?

Not likely to see major infrastructure behind the endzones, but they could do something like what they do at Zable in the endzones. The North endzone hosts an alumni tent and that area can be expanded for an improved SRO viewing area. However, there is enough room to add more permanent seats on the West grandstands (press box side). Arute will never be mistaken for the size of Delaware Stadium or the modern of LaValle or Bob Ford, but it can meet any "CAA requirements" without zoning issues Monmouth faces.

aceinthehole
October 20th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Do they make the jump to AEast and go indy in football and hope to find a home?

No, very unlikely. Overall, CCSU is content with the NEC, as all 18 sports have AQ access and manageable travel/budget commitments. Central isn't going to give up the stability and access provided by the NEC unless the alternative is better than what we have now. As long as NEC sponsors football, there is absolutely no incentive to go to the Big South or Indy.

JMG1MON
October 21st, 2014, 10:15 AM
Monmouth vs Rutgers will never happen. The B1G starting in a few years will no longer be playing FCS opponents AFAIK.