PDA

View Full Version : Nova @ W&M

Nova09
October 14th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Haven't seen a thread yet, figured I'd get it started.

Homecoming for W&M

Any TV picking it up? W&M website shows "video link available at start time" and "audio link available at start time" are these free or do we have to sign up?

Mattymc727
October 14th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Go Tribe!

The Tribe offense will have to move the ball much better if they are going to keep up with Nova. Cluley looked lost in Durham on Saturday.

CHIP72
October 14th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I checked the CAA website 1-2 days ago and it appears there is no TV and/or free streaming (i.e. ESPN3 or something similar) for this game. :(

Anovafan
October 14th, 2014, 11:54 AM
W&M website says they will broadcast the game live in HD for FREE!

http://www.tribeathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=606208&SPID=80810&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209714995&DB_OEM_ID=25100

kdinva
October 14th, 2014, 12:02 PM
comcast-sportsnet is carrying towson @ Delaware.......fox college has maine v. albany......& that new "american sports network" ( or whatever) has URI @ richmond..... xscanx

Anovafan
October 14th, 2014, 12:19 PM
comcast-sportsnet is carrying towson @ Delaware.......fox college has maine v. albany......& that new "american sports network" ( or whatever) has URI @ richmond..... xscanx

The TV package for the CAA stunk this year in my opinion. They always favor the all-sports CAA teams and Nova isn't one of them.

Sitting Bull
October 14th, 2014, 12:31 PM
The TV package for the CAA stunk this year in my opinion. They always favor the all-sports CAA teams and Nova isn't one of them.

Why don't you just come down? It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend in Williamsburg.

It would be nice to see Villanova bring a decent contingent. It's usually pretty sparse in the previous games at Williamsburg.

superman7515
October 14th, 2014, 12:38 PM
comcast-sportsnet is carrying towson @ Delaware...

Yeah, the game was originally at 3:30 on Saturday, but got moved up to 12:30 to be televised since it's such a big match up. xrolleyesx

Nova09
October 14th, 2014, 12:42 PM
W&M website says they will broadcast the game live in HD for FREE!

http://www.tribeathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=606208&SPID=80810&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209714995&DB_OEM_ID=25100

Awesome! Any W&M folks know if I have to register before viewing? I guess I'll be testing this out with Friday night volleyball.

HailSzczur
October 14th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Why don't you just come down? It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend in Williamsburg.

It would be nice to see Villanova bring a decent contingent. It's usually pretty sparse in the previous games at Williamsburg.

Got tickets through the alumni association today for reception/tailgate and the game. Didn't seem like they had sold too many. I wouldn't hold your breathe on that a huge traveling Nova crowd though

hktribefan
October 14th, 2014, 01:27 PM
This is the first year that the HD feed is free, and it's a good quality feed. I don't know for sure if you have to register, I'm just logged in all the time on the site but if you do have to, it doesn't take more than a few minutes. The commentators who accompany the WM feed are great and tend to give pretty unbiased (at least I think unbiased) analysis and commentary. That being said, it does look like weather will be great that day so come on down and enjoy the festivities live!

Gordon Shumway
October 15th, 2014, 04:41 PM
bump....There has to more surrounding this game than just video feeds. :D

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 16th, 2014, 06:40 AM
WM fans, do you feel your team had a really poor outing last week and are better then they showed...ya now, "one of those games" or was that the real WM team?
I felt going into that game they were better then Richmond (not sure why, I hadn't seen them play), but now I get the feeling they may not even be the #4 team in the CAA.
What's the general consensus down there?

Mattymc727
October 16th, 2014, 06:46 AM
WM fans, do you feel your team had a really poor outing last week and are better then they showed...ya now, "one of those games" or was that the real WM team?
I felt going into that game they were better then Richmond (not sure why, I hadn't seen them play), but now I get the feeling they may not even be the #4 team in the CAA.
What's the general consensus down there?

I agree, I couldnt tell if the Tribe never got off the bus, whether they are very over-rated, or UNH is that good? A 32-3 blowout was the last thing I expected. I was wondering if the Tribe fans know that wasnt the normal team they usually watch (that was also my first time watching the Tribe).

Tribe4SF
October 16th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Tribe offense was just a no-show. Strange approach with Abdul-Saboor getting 12 on first carry and only eleven more carries for the game. The repeated quick out passes were a mystery, and I think were Cluley's choice at the line. The play was a no-go and resulted in McBride having 7 catches for only 28 yards. Team seemed flat, and Cluley never got tuned in. Hopefully an anomaly.

hktribefan
October 16th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Cluley is a young QB and has shown flashes of potential, but also some mistakes that come along with a new QB. He's hit some great shots down field, and has had some good runs but it's been hard to put everything together. The defense has loads of talent, but likewise has been unable to put a whole game together. From a mental standpoint I think this is an important game. The team needs to play well after what I think/hope was just a really bad day at the office for everyone up in Durham.

TypicalTribe
October 16th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I think this team simply isn't that good. As I said in another thread, the record said 4-1, but the statistics showed a team that was being outgained significantly and was living on turnovers and big special teams plays. The offense, yet again, is simply not very good and almost entirely unimaginative.

Laycock's coaching in these games against good teams continues to mystify me as well. Down 15-0 with an offensively challenged team, you can't kick a short field goal. You've got to try to score a TD to get momentum. The Tribe's red zone offense on the season is split about 50/50 between touchdowns and field goals, which is really poor. Cluley's passing efficiency is near the bottom of the league and they reall don't have much to scare defenses.

That's a pretty negative analysis, but it's the way this team feels, i.e. probably good enough to win most games against lesser teams, but nowhere near enough offense to compete with teams that put points on the board. I'll be surprised if the Tribe can stay within two scores of Villanova on Saturday.

Tribal
October 17th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I agree with SF...I simply cannot understand why our coaches went away from Abdul-Saboor in favor of plays that didn't work. I think our playcaller outsmarts himself when the basics may have worked.

I do think Nova will play a much better Tribe team than we saw last week.

#RisingTribe

HailSzczur
October 17th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Just wandered around campus. Really beautiful, can't wait to see it in the day light. Really like your gym, wish we had a place that sized

Tribe4SF
October 18th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Just wandered around campus. Really beautiful, can't wait to see it in the day light. Really like your gym, wish we had a place that sized

It is a beautiful place, as is Villanova. Check your PMs.

Sitting Bull
October 18th, 2014, 08:12 AM

Make sure you stop by Paul's for a per game cocktail, just across the street from the stadium.

Should be a full house. As of this morning, only about 200 tix left which I imagine will be snapped up when the ticket windows open at Zable.

HailSzczur
October 18th, 2014, 02:51 PM
This one's gonna be a track meet at this rate

VUCats02
October 18th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Story of the game is holding penalties for Nova stopping their offense and 2 turnovers for W&M in their redzone. If the holding penalties aren't there in the 2nd half, I think Nova's offense will start to find more of a rhythm.

smilo
October 18th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Story of the game is holding penalties for Nova stopping their offense and 2 turnovers for W&M in their redzone. If the holding penalties aren't there in the 2nd half, I think Nova's offense will start to find more of a rhythm.

Finding the rhythm is how we came back vs. JMU, but I am much more concerned about defense. The fumbles are nice, but the 2nd one was really a lucky muff and both occurred in the redzone as you said. The Tribe are moving the ball at will. The flea flicker was a tad lucky, but even if you take that out, they are playing at insanely high level especially on the running game (which says a lot when Cluley is 10/11 passing). The secondary has got to step up against McBride. CB is obviously our greatest weakness so we got to get some more help covering him. They have only two guys who have caught a pass. We must take advantage of our depth and limit their stars. Surely that sounds very general, but that's what must happen. Easier said than done. If their pass game is working, they'll be able to do whatever they want on the ground.

Nova09
October 18th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Finding the rhythm is how we came back vs. JMU, but I am much more concerned about defense. The fumbles are nice, but the 2nd one was really a lucky muff and both occurred in the redzone as you said. The Tribe are moving the ball at will. The flea flicker was a tad lucky, but even if you take that out, they are playing at insanely high level especially on the running game (which says a lot when Cluley is 10/11 passing). The secondary has got to step up against McBride. CB is obviously our greatest weakness so we got to get some more help covering him. They have only two guys who have caught a pass. We must take advantage of our depth and limit their stars. Surely that sounds very general, but that's what must happen. Easier said than done. If their pass game is working, they'll be able to do whatever they want on the ground.

Well if they would call holding or the block in the back that is their tackle's specialty, I'd think we could stop them the same way they stop us

Mattymc727
October 18th, 2014, 04:15 PM
The Tribe are moving the ball? Quick turnaround from last week.

HailSzczur
October 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM
We're lucky to be down 7. Every time they roll out to pass we get burnt. Need a statement here on the first drive

VUCats02
October 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM
The Tribe are moving the ball? Quick turnaround from last week.

Big difference playing on the road vs. in front of a homecoming crowd at home.

VUCats02
October 18th, 2014, 04:21 PM
By the way, whoever said the W&M announcers were pretty unbiased is on some kind of drugs.

dwtime
October 18th, 2014, 04:34 PM
By the way, whoever said the W&M announcers were pretty unbiased is on some kind of drugs.

LOL you think the play by play guy could sound any more morose when Nova makes a big play?

smilo
October 18th, 2014, 04:54 PM

LOL, this has been my thought the entire game. New Hampshire is also the only guaranteed loss too, right? Like, Is that cuz you already got destroyed there, haha. These guys make baseball announcers sound unbiased.

VUCats02
October 18th, 2014, 04:56 PM
What an incredible game so far. Both QBs playing at the top of their games.

dwtime
October 18th, 2014, 04:59 PM
This game will probably come down to who has the ball last if the difference is less than 1 score.

HailSzczur
October 18th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Good lord our secondary is getting shredded

CHIP72
October 18th, 2014, 05:03 PM

I got home and started watching a few minutes ago and was thinking the same thing. xeekx

At least neither of them are Joe Buck though. xlolx

caribbeanhen
October 18th, 2014, 05:25 PM
does this game have a score?

Mattymc727
October 18th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Can watch it here free:

http://www.tribeathletics.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&id=1158779&catid=0&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=25100

Mattymc727
October 18th, 2014, 05:27 PM
31-28 Tribe 3:20 left

tribe_pride
October 18th, 2014, 05:29 PM
31-28 Tribe 3:20 left

With Tribe ball 2nd down at the Nova 25 or close to it and Nova has 1 TO left

tribe_pride
October 18th, 2014, 05:33 PM
What to do? 4 and 14 at Nova 34 with 2:00 to go and Tribe up by 3.

dwtime
October 18th, 2014, 05:34 PM
What the heck kind of a punt was that?

Mattymc727
October 18th, 2014, 05:35 PM

Worst punt in history?

5 yard punt....

Mattymc727
October 18th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Wow, Tribe are blowing this one

CHIP72
October 18th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Hey Mr. W&M PBP guy - MOVE THOSE CHAINS AND RAISE THE OFFICIALS' ARMS FOR VILLANOVA!

Mr. C
October 18th, 2014, 05:41 PM
So does anyone stream replays of this?

dwtime
October 18th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Leading with his shoulder folks.....

CHIP72
October 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM

A great punt in an elevator shaft?

dwtime
October 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Great football game.

CHIP72
October 18th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Does college ball have the required injury timeout in the last 2 minutes or the 10 second runoff?

dwtime
October 18th, 2014, 05:45 PM
McBride took a big hit, tough kid.

CHIP72
October 18th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Does college ball have the required injury timeout in the last 2 minutes or the 10 second runoff?

I guess not.

Mr. C
October 18th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Any updates? Gamecast is slow.

CHIP72
October 18th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Any updates? Gamecast is slow.

Four seconds left, W&M ball, ball at about the Villanova 47.

CHIP72
October 18th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Villanova holds on in an excellent game, wins 35-31.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2014, 05:54 PM
'Nova has a terrific team this year. This was a great win in a tough environment...

tribe_pride
October 18th, 2014, 05:56 PM

The playclock was stopped because of an incomplete pass so neither would have been required in the NFL. The injury rule is only if the playclock would have continued running

HailSzczur
October 18th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Back in the car for a very long, but very happy ride hone.

What was the call on the defensive penalty at the end of the game?

dwtime
October 18th, 2014, 06:21 PM

What was the call on the defensive penalty at the end of the game?

Villanova player tackled the QB without his helmet on, once your helmet comes off you have to stop playing.

HailSzczur
October 18th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Was our thought. Couldn't hear anything from the PA system.

Any word on McBride status? Kids got all CAA written all over him and you'd hate to see him miss time

smilo
October 18th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Was our thought. Couldn't hear anything from the PA system.

Any word on McBride status? Kids got all CAA written all over him and you'd hate to see him miss time

He came back into the game for the final 3 or 4 plays. He should be fine.

HailSzczur
October 18th, 2014, 06:39 PM
He came back into the game for the final 3 or 4 plays. He should be fine.

Good to hear. That was a scary hit. Probably the defensive play of our season though

Tribe4SF
October 18th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Very disappointed in the loss, but that was one helluva football game.

HailSzczur
October 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Very disappointed in the loss, but that was one helluva football game.

Think the last time I saw a game that was that much of a nail bitter was the 09 playoffs vs you guys

Sitting Bull
October 19th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Jay Colley is a semi folk hero at W&M. He has been doing the play-by-play I think as long as Laycock has been there in the early 80s. He also handled all the baseball broadcasts for the Rochester Red Wings, not sure if he still does that.

We all expect him to be biased, he loves the program and school as he has been part of it for near 40 years.

if you are implying that Nova's broadcasters are not biased - and those not there had to view through the Tribe website - I think that says more about Villanova than W&M.

Nova09
October 19th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Jay Colley is a semi folk hero at W&M. He has been doing the play-by-play I think as long as Laycock has been there in the early 80s. He also handled all the baseball broadcasts for the Rochester Red Wings, not sure if he still does that.

We all expect him to be biased, he loves the program and school as he has been part of it for near 40 years.

if you are implying that Nova's broadcasters are not biased - and those not there had to view through the Tribe website - I think that says more about Villanova than W&M.

I have absolutely no problem with the way the game was announced, you could tell how much fun the guys in the booth were having, but it was a W&M poster who told us that they wouldn't be biased, when they clearly were.

- - - Updated - - -

No one has mentioned the true story of the game--Nova did not miss an XP or FG! Sure, they didn't attempt a FG, but still, a perfect kicking day!

caribbeanhen
October 19th, 2014, 09:54 AM

bridge Tunnel or I-95

CHIP72
October 19th, 2014, 10:03 AM

And there's nothing really wrong with the bolded part above; that definitely came through during the webcast. My issue is similar to what Nova09 said above. Honestly, I thought the W&M announcers (particularly the color commentator) were reasonably fair considering they are announcing from the W&M point of view and primarily for a W&M viewing audience. (The "Mr. Official, move those chains" did get annoying though.) That doesn't mean there wasn't bias though; it means the bias didn't go to ridiculous, semi-unprofessional or unprofessional levels (and that sometimes is the case, including with major league pro sports team announcers).

The comments about team-oriented TV or web-streamed broadcasts get at why I'd prefer to watch a "neutral" broadcast (assuming the announcers are reasonably familiar with both teams) rather than a team broadcast, even if the team broadcast is for the team I'm rooting for. However, beggars can't be choosers. In cases where the broadcast isn't neutral and is a team broadcast, I'm fortunate in that with some of the teams I root for (Lafayette and Lehigh in particular, both of whom often have free streaming for games), the shoe is usually on the other foot (though I think both the Lafayette and Lehigh announcers are reasonably unbiased; fans rooting for those teams' opponents are better judges than I am though).

Gangtackle11
October 19th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Great game. Tons of respect to W&M. I watched on W&M feed. There was a strong bias, but to be expected. Who cares? It was a great game played to 2 solid CAA squads. Glad to escape there with a win.

tmcnova
October 19th, 2014, 11:43 AM
W & M was really strong yesterday and could have easily won. Robertson's magic continues for Nova and for someone like me who has watched Nova for the last 45 years it has been quite a pleasure. I am already dreading two years from now when he leaves. He is the best QB Nova has ever had, in my memory, even when they were playing at the top level through the late 60's, 70's and 80's.

VUCats02
October 19th, 2014, 03:19 PM

I am not implying that the Nova's broadcasters are not biased, I'm just saying the W&M person who stated earlier in this thread that I would get unbiased commentary was flat out wrong. I'm not saying it's an issue, but the "Mr. Official move those chains" is probably one of the dumbest lines I have ever heard in any kind of sport broadcasting.

tribe_pride
October 19th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I am not implying that the Nova's broadcasters are not biased, I'm just saying the W&M person who stated earlier in this thread that I would get unbiased commentary was flat out wrong. I'm not saying it's an issue, but the "Mr. Official move those chains" is probably one of the dumbest lines I have ever heard in any kind of sport broadcasting.

If that really bothered you that much, then your life must be perfect otherwise.

I agree that he is biased and the original person who made the comment was not correct but most announcers have some sort of catchphrase and that is his. And can't believe you haven't heard dumber lines from other broadcasters.

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2014, 04:57 PM

You've obviously never been to a game at Hampton. Announcer: "MOO DA CHAINS! ... (loooong pause)...FIRST DOWN!....(pause)...PIE-RATS!"

HailSzczur
October 19th, 2014, 07:47 PM

Are you within radio range (there's no online radio broadcast sadly) because Joe Eichhorn and Ryan Fannon do a fantastic job. Grew up listening to those guys every away Saturday.

Bisonator
October 20th, 2014, 08:32 AM
What was Laycock upset with after the game? I saw him and Talley exchanged words and he looked pissed about something.

Nova09
October 20th, 2014, 08:43 AM
What was Laycock upset with after the game? I saw him and Talley exchanged words and he looked pissed about something.

Didn't catch that, he didn't seem worked up in his post game interview which was while he was still on the field, so I'd imagine it was nothing major. Either pissed about the loss or the personal foul at the end, but since the foul was for a defender continuing without a helmet, not a dirty hit, don't think it would be that.

hktribefan
October 20th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Wow, some people got really worked up over my perception of how our own broadcasters call the game! I said I thought they were pretty unbiased, and I assumed most people would realize that they are our broadcasters so would naturally have a slant towards WM. Apparently quality of the opposition broadcasters was the most important takeaway from this game, I'll be sure to temper my promotion of Tribe broadcasters in the future!

In all seriousness though, what a great game. Props to Villanova for that last drive, Robertson is a gamer.

Anovafan
October 20th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Didn't catch that, he didn't seem worked up in his post game interview which was while he was still on the field, so I'd imagine it was nothing major. Either pissed about the loss or the personal foul at the end, but since the foul was for a defender continuing without a helmet, not a dirty hit, don't think it would be that.

Jimmye got upset about Harmon's targeting hit on the WM RB when his helmet popped off at the end. He said VU needs to do something about him. The reply was, Jimmye, your team had 4 personal fouls.

And the refs missed the W&M kick to the head of one of the VU players. That should have been an ejection. Even the W&M internet/tv announcers said that.

Kudos to the internet/tv feed. That was a great production and fun to watch for me. Of course they are homers but that is to be expected!

HailSzczur
October 20th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Jimmye got upset about Harmon's targeting hit on the WM RB when his helmet popped off at the end. He said VU needs to do something about him. The reply was, Jimmye, your team had 4 personal fouls.

And the refs missed the W&M kick to the head of one of the VU players. That should have been an ejection. Even the W&M internet/tv announcers said that.

Kudos to the internet/tv feed. That was a great production and fun to watch for me. Of course they are homers but that is to be expected!

That kick to the head was pretty blatant, all the parents around me were going crazy. Both teams were pretty chippy, but overall I think the refs called a fairly even game. Not going to say great, but certainly even.

Tribal
October 21st, 2014, 04:01 PM
It was a free HD feed, not the $10 many other programs charge for subpar quality. Hit the mute button next time and open another browser to carry VU's audio feed. Simple solution.

#RisingTribe

Anovafan
October 21st, 2014, 07:52 PM
It was a free HD feed, not the $10 many other programs charge for subpar quality. Hit the mute button next time and open another browser to carry VU's audio feed. Simple solution.

#RisingTribe

It looked like an audition for the ALL VA sports network. Quality was great, sideline interviews, just awesome, and free to boot. I was very impressed. Way better than anything small time Villanova could produce.