PDA

View Full Version : Top Heavy, Predictable CAA

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 13th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Looking at the Week 8 CAA Picks Thread just like I did for Week 7 and week 6 and I keep wondering when this conference is going to produce some compelling games.

So far, the UNH @Richmond game was a very good game and the UD @JMU game was entertaining despite being very poorly played.

In the old days, a surprise team or two would get predicted toward the bottom and end up at the top and there would be many surprising results. This year, the standings appear to be headed toward a pretty close match of the preseason poll and the games have been a snooze.

Overall, the quality of the league appears to be lacking after 3 or maybe 4 teams.

I guess my question to CAA fans is this:

"Are you finding this league to be boring as crap this year?"

Gordon Shumway
October 13th, 2014, 09:01 PM
While it is unlikely a Cinderella will appear at this point, we are only 3 games into the conference schedules. I suspect there are a number of surprises still to come. But yes, the league does seem seriously stratified right now.

HailSzczur
October 13th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Doesn't help that the 2 teams in the top tier don't play each other, so we don't even have that to look forward to

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2014, 10:01 PM
The CAA has 4 teams that should/will receive playoff consideration; Villanova, UNH, Richmond and W&M. At least 3 of those will get in imo. JMU, Delaware and Albany are decent to pretty good. SBU is one of those teams that is better than their record shows imo. Elon, Towson and URI range from bad to horrific. The Rams might be the worst "power" conference team in the country....

superman7515
October 14th, 2014, 05:40 AM
The CAA has 4 teams that should/will receive playoff consideration; Villanova, UNH, Richmond and W&M. At least 3 of those will get in imo. JMU, Delaware and Albany are decent to pretty good. SBU is one of those teams that is better than their record shows imo. Elon, Towson and URI range from bad to horrific. The Rams might be the worst "power" conference team in the country....

And Maine is tepid water, so average they're the only team you forget about, haha.

Sitting Bull
October 14th, 2014, 06:14 AM
I thought the W&M - Stony Brook game was pretty entertaining.

SBU is 2-1 in the league though no one seems to want to bring them in the conversation.

UAlbany has proven no slouch either.

As someone mentioned, too bad we don't have Villanova playing UNH this year.

Mattymc727
October 14th, 2014, 06:40 AM
SBU is a sleeper and may have the defense to steal one, but I dont see them making the playoffs.

Has anyone fallen harder than Towson has in just 8 months? They are back to the old Towson....

I think Richmond is pretty good, they almost beat UNH and beat Liberty on the road, which may be tougher than people think.

Crazy that Nova and UNH dont play. Thats one of the best CAA games every year, let alone when they are ranked 2 and 3 at the moment.

superman7515
October 14th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Has anyone fallen harder than Towson has in just 8 months? They are back to the old Towson....

Lightning in a bottle with T-West and four seniors on the OL. People forget, even with all of that, they've been moving backwards in the conference since they won it in 2011.

Mattymc727
October 14th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Lightning in a bottle with T-West and four seniors on the OL. People forget, even with all of that, they've been moving backwards in the conference since they won it in 2011.

Interesting point, but its still amazing that they fell THAT hard.

UNH caught lightning in a bottle with Chip Kelly, Santos, and Ball, and have managed to turn that into a decade of winning (Probably more too).

UNHWildcat18
October 14th, 2014, 07:18 AM

I actually have to disagree with you on that. I see a 3 playoff team conference with UNH NOVA and UR. Out of the rest I actually see JMU being the 4th best possible team over W&M. I think they have the tools to win and can be the best of the rest if they utilize their talent.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I actually have to disagree with you on that. I see a 3 playoff team conference with UNH NOVA and UR. Out of the rest I actually see JMU being the 4th best possible team over W&M. I think they have the tools to win and can be the best of the rest if they utilize their talent.

19839.....WELL DEN....WE'RE BACK TA SAME 'OL CAA......AS DELAWARE OWNS UH W OVERAH DUH DUKIES...IN DEY'RE YARD.......STONY BROOK & ALBANY & MAINE.....WILL BE TRAPS TA AVOID...IFIN' SKEDS ALLOW........JES' WON'T BE UH NEW DARLIN' ON TOP....LIKE DUH BLACK BEARS.........MANAGED TA GO FROM BOTTOM TA TOP......19840...AWK!

bluehenbillk
October 14th, 2014, 08:06 AM
The great part of last year's run was Towson has been a perennial doormat. They as another poster said caught "lightning in a bottle" and had West there for 3 years & had him run behind a strong veteran line. Now Towson is just back to being Towson.

JMUNJ08
October 14th, 2014, 08:19 AM

I happen to agree and the key is the remaining schedule. JMU should have 2 easier games in Charlotte and Elon and would just need to go 2-1 vs W&M and @ Stony Brook & URI. That is not an easy task but much more doable than Delaware for instance (who we have to finish above) as they are @ W&M, Albany & UNH with Nova to finish the season at home. With how well Nova/ UNH playing, Delaware has no room for error and the committee rarely takes teams on losing skids to the playoffs...

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I happen to agree and the key is the remaining schedule. JMU should have 2 easier games in Charlotte and Elon and would just need to go 2-1 vs W&M and @ Stony Brook & URI. That is not an easy task but much more doable than Delaware for instance (who we have to finish above) as they are @ W&M, Albany & UNH with Nova to finish the season at home. With how well Nova/ UNH playing, Delaware has no room for error and the committee rarely takes teams on losing skids to the playoffs...

WAS NOT SAYIN'...DELAWARE HAS UH CHANCE.......JES' DUH CAA....ANYBODY.....CAN BEAT....ANY BODY........BRAWK!

UNHWildcat18
October 14th, 2014, 10:22 AM

Precisely. Also like I stated before I think JMU has slightly more talent than the rest hasn't played to their full potential. Really wish they beat Delaware before.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Precisely. Also like I stated before I think JMU has slightly more talent than the rest hasn't played to their full potential. Really wish they beat Delaware before.

19843..........BUT DEY DIDN'T.........WE LUV YA'S..xrolleyesx..TOO!

ccd494
October 14th, 2014, 10:40 AM
I have never been less excited to watch a Maine football team than this year's version. It is like watching paint dry. This may be the worst offensive team in the history of the CAA. The defense is decent, but they have zero help.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 14th, 2014, 10:47 AM

I haven't seen enough of WM to be able to compare them with JMU. I have seen a lot of JMU and I don't think they resemble a playoff team at this point.

TypicalTribe
October 14th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I think UNH and Villanova are clearly the class of the league. Richmond a clear 3rd and will be a playoff team if they avoid a bad loss the rest of the way. W&M's offense is yet again simply not playoff-worthy. As for the other teams, I don't see a plyoff resume anywhere without an upset of UNH or Villanova st some point. Delaware's loss to Sacred Heart really put a damper on any at-large hopes.

The conference just feels flat right now The energy we used to see and the quality of the games on a week-to-week basis is just lacking.

hktribefan
October 14th, 2014, 11:16 AM
A lot depends on which WM team shows up. The one that played the first half of the Hampton game, or second half of the Lafayette and Stony Brook games gives Nova a great game this weekend, then runs the table until a great matchup at the end of the season on national TV against Richmond with playoff implications. The team has all the tools there, it's just getting everyone on the same page for 60 minutes that seems to be a challenge.

bluehenbillk
October 14th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I think UNH and Villanova are clearly the class of the league. Richmond a clear 3rd and will be a playoff team if they avoid a bad loss the rest of the way. W&M's offense is yet again simply not playoff-worthy. As for the other teams, I don't see a plyoff resume anywhere without an upset of UNH or Villanova st some point. Delaware's loss to Sacred Heart really put a damper on any at-large hopes.

The conference just feels flat right now The energy we used to see and the quality of the games on a week-to-week basis is just lacking.

This is the closest I've seen to reality. My best as of now would be 3 CAA teams get in: VU, UNH & UR.

Mattymc727
October 14th, 2014, 11:40 AM
It really does seem like a down year this year. Only three playoff teams....but possibly 2 seeds?

NHwildEcat
October 14th, 2014, 11:54 AM

I think it might be because of how the bottom teams are anchoring down the rest of the league. We have teams adjusting to CAA football and it will take them some seasoning before they fit in. I think in 2-3 years once Elon, Albany & SBU are acclimated to the conference we should see better action, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

It really does seem like a down year this year. Only three playoff teams....but possibly 2 seeds?

2 seeds looks pretty good right now...and if it holds like the national polls, it would be the 2/3 seeds therefore avoiding NDSU until a title game match-up. I think we can all live with that.

bluehenbillk
October 14th, 2014, 02:16 PM

With Nova & UNH not playing each other it's mighty likely right now.

melloware13
October 14th, 2014, 03:24 PM
The way I see the conference, as a bunch of lumps:

UNH, Nova

Richmond, W&M

JMU, Delaware, Albany, SBU, Maine (could be broken into 2 groups as the season progresses)

Elon

URI, Towson

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I don't believe the UD loss to Sacred Heart is a "bad" loss at all. The Pioneers are a fringe Top 25 team this year.

The Hen's comeback win against Colgate is looking better and better each week. The Raiders have proven to be pretty good themselves. Despite some of the negativity from the natives I think the Hens stock is a bit on the up swing....

Tribal
October 14th, 2014, 06:18 PM
If Nova beats us, we'll have to go 4-1 to have a shot. Not an easy thing to do given our remaining schedule.

#RisingTribe

Engineer86
October 14th, 2014, 06:23 PM

I assume you saw Lehigh up there. Now consider that JMU snuck out of Goodman with a stolen win. They were not impressive at all then lost to UD at home. I just do not see all the love for JMU

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I assume you saw Lehigh up there. Now consider that JMU snuck out of Goodman with a stolen win. They were not impressive at all then lost to UD at home. I just do not see all the love for JMU

JMU was breaking in a new coaching staff and several transfers including one at QB. I think it's reasonable to expect a team like that (talented but raw) to take a few lumps and improve as the year goes on.

smilo
October 14th, 2014, 06:27 PM
If Nova beats us, we'll have to go 4-1 to have a shot. Not an easy thing to do given our remaining schedule.

#RisingTribe

Not exactly a difficult thing either when 2 are virtually guaranteed. You're almost in control of your own destiny with this schedule. Just beat JMU! Your defenses should be able to shut down Vad Lee.
Elon 99.9% win
Towson 98-99% win
Delaware 80% win
JMU 65-70% win
Richmond 35-40% win

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Not exactly a difficult thing either when 2 are virtually guaranteed. You're almost in control of your own destiny with this schedule. Just beat JMU! Your defenses should be able to shut down Vad Lee.
Elon 99.9% win
Towson 98-99% win
Delaware 80% win
JMU 65-70% win
Richmond 35-40% win

I'd knock down the Delaware odds to 55%, I see a snake in the grass scenario lining up for the Hens.....

UNHWildcat18
October 14th, 2014, 07:56 PM
JMU was breaking in a new coaching staff and several transfers including one at QB. I think it's reasonable to expect a team like that (talented but raw) to take a few lumps and improve as the year goes on.

Exactly, they looked very impressive vs Towson. I know Towson is not good this year but no other team truly destroyed them. I can see JMU running the table and going 8-3

UNHWildcat18
October 14th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Also in terms of the next few years I really see Albany becoming a powerhouse team.

Uncle Buck
October 14th, 2014, 09:17 PM
To throw in my two cents, UNH and Nova as many have said look good for two spots, I say a third sneaks in, maybe Richmond, but I don't think JMU or anyone else will come in fourth. W&M as mentioned will be in a tough spot if they lose to Nova as well.

I'd love see sbu steal one somewhere along the season. Great defense, no real QB, that spells blah!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

KPSUL
October 14th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I was at both the UNH - RU game and the JMU - Delaware game. You are right on target with you assessment of both contests.

The teams that could develop into challenging opponents include JMU and Stony Brook. JMU has a lot of talent on offensive and Coach Withers seems capable of putting it together. It's hard not to be impressed with SB's defense so far but the offense is anemic.

UNH's remaining schedule looks less than challenging, any loss would have to be considered a major upset. Villanova has tough road games with W&M, RU and Delaware. If they both managed to remain FCS undefeated VU would likely get a lower playoff seed due to difficulty of schedule and the OT game with Syracuse; however, UNH is more likely to finish out the Conference games undefeated.

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I was at both the UNH - RU game and the JMU - Delaware game. You are right on target with you assessment of both contests.

The teams that could develop into challenging opponents include JMU and Stony Brook. JMU has a lot of talent on offensive and Coach Withers seems capable of putting it together. It's hard not to be impressed with SB's defense so far but the offense is anemic.

UNH's remaining schedule looks less than challenging, any loss would have to be considered a major upset. Villanova has tough road games with W&M, RU and Delaware. If they both managed to remain FCS undefeated VU would likely get a lower playoff seed due to difficulty of schedule and the OT game with Syracuse; however, UNH is more likely to finish out the Conference games undefeated.

19862....UH...WHERE IS NEW HAMPSHIRE'S EDGE....IN SKED..& HIGHER SEED. ..OVERAH 'NOVA?....(ASSUMIN' 'NOVA TAKES CARE O' BILL & MARE & DUH ARCHNIDS...AS YA'LL DID)..ISN'T TAKIN' DUH 'CUSE TA OT......MO' BETTERAH....DAN CURB STOMP...BAH TOLEDO?.......YA'LL SAY JMU COOD BE UH FORCE.....'NOVA OWNS 'EM....NOT FOLLOWIN'...xdontknowx...BRAWK!

superman7515
October 15th, 2014, 09:02 AM
You're almost in control of your own destiny with this schedule.

No. You're not. You never are. I hate that saying. By the very definition of "destiny," it is a predetermined course of events. Absolutely nothing you do can or could change these predetermined events, which is what makes them destined to happen. Saying a team controls their own destiny is patently false, it is just saying that they aren't destined for anything and their actions control the outcome.

Mattymc727
October 15th, 2014, 09:47 AM
19862....UH...WHERE IS NEW HAMPSHIRE'S EDGE....IN SKED..& HIGHER SEED. ..OVERAH 'NOVA?....(ASSUMIN' 'NOVA TAKES CARE O' BILL & MARE & DUH ARCHNIDS...AS YA'LL DID)..ISN'T TAKIN' DUH 'CUSE TA OT......MO' BETTERAH....DAN CURB STOMP...BAH TOLEDO?.......YA'LL SAY JMU COOD BE UH FORCE.....'NOVA OWNS 'EM....NOT FOLLOWIN'...xdontknowx...BRAWK!

I think he meant lower seed as in lower number (Nova being a 2 vs UNH being a 3 or 4).

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I think he meant lower seed as in lower number (Nova being a 2 vs UNH being a 3 or 4).

....UPON FURTHERAH REVIEW.........YER RIGHT....APOLOGIES KPSUL....MIS-READ.....MIS-UNDERSTOOD....MIS-POSTED.......BE ON LOOK OUT FER FLOWERS....LAD.....xembarrassedx xhandshakex xembarrassedx .....AWQ!

Mattymc727
October 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
....UPON FURTHERAH REVIEW.........YER RIGHT....APOLOGIES KPSUL....MIS-READ.....MIS-UNDERSTOOD....MIS-POSTED.......BE ON LOOK OUT FER FLOWERS....LAD.....xembarrassedx xhandshakex xembarrassedx .....AWQ!

I read it the same way you did at first. It was a confusing way to word it.

JMU2004
October 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM
If JMU builds on the Towson performance, I would agree that they're improving. Tough to tell if TU quit after the 2nd defensive score. JMU's D actually held Towson to fewer yards than SBU, so that is encouraging.

We have had a boatload of injuries and are starting to get healthy again. The offense is tough to stop right now, but when you rely on O, the turnover bug can bite and you can lose any game. We'll need the D to step up if we want to make a run.

jmufan999
October 15th, 2014, 10:19 AM
The teams that could develop into challenging opponents include JMU and Stony Brook. JMU has a lot of talent on offensive and Coach Withers seems capable of putting it together.

exactly... and this is what i've been saying since preseason: we would take our lumps early, and (hopefully) improve as the season went on and the players got more comfortable in new systems.

i'm not ready to say the Towson game means anything. i know they're bad. still, 62 points is a lot. we have about 3 tough games left on the schedule (any game can be lost, of course, but WM/UR/SBU are especially tough) and we won't know more until at least one of those games is over.

GannonFan
October 15th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Interesting point, but its still amazing that they fell THAT hard.

UNH caught lightning in a bottle with Chip Kelly, Santos, and Ball, and have managed to turn that into a decade of winning (Probably more too).

Apples and oranges. UNH was never a doormat program - Bowes was a legendary coach there for a couple of decades and there were plenty of pretty good UNH teams in the '80's and '90's. Sure, they've taken it to the next level more often with McDonnell, but it's not like he was building a program from scratch. Towson, historically, has just been awful most of the time. Every now and then you'd see them with a breakout year, but never anything sustained. They didn't have any history in place, like UNH did, when they got lucky with the convergence of West and an experienced OL.

Gordon Shumway
October 15th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I think SB is going to be a major player the rest of the year. I don't care who they have played, they have put up some insane defensive numbers. The only negative you can say about the defense is they seem to give up one big play a game. Like last week against Maine. They only gave up 6 first downs and 135 yards, but 76 of those yards came on one play. Same thing happened in the ND game (5/145 & 1 play of 68 yds). They had W&M beat, and then gave up a long TD pass in the last minute. If they figure out how to start scoring points, they could go on a run.

They only have two big challenges left on the schedule (@UNH, JMU). If they somehow won out they would be 8-4 (6-1). That may be a reach, but they are going to cause some problems down the stretch.

I'm just thankful the game in two weeks is in Durham.

BestDaneSinceHamlet
October 15th, 2014, 11:41 AM
UNHWIldcat18, as a fan of the Danes, curious as to an outsiders take on why you think that. Do share!

Mattymc727
October 15th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I think SB is going to be a major player the rest of the year. I don't care who they have played, they have put up some insane defensive numbers. The only negative you can say about the defense is they seem to give up one big play a game. Like last week against Maine. They only gave up 6 first downs and 135 yards, but 76 of those yards came on one play. Same thing happened in the ND game (5/145 & 1 play of 68 yds). They had W&M beat, and then gave up a long TD pass in the last minute. If they figure out how to start scoring points, they could go on a run.

They only have two big challenges left on the schedule (@UNH, JMU). If they somehow won out they would be 8-4 (6-1). That may be a reach, but they are going to cause some problems down the stretch.

I'm just thankful the game in two weeks is in Durham.

The have a good defense, but lets pump the breaks a tad. Maine, W&M, and UND arent exactly offensive juggernauts (and neither is Elon). That game against UNH will show how good they really are on defense.

KPSUL
October 15th, 2014, 12:10 PM

Right!

KPSUL
October 15th, 2014, 12:17 PM
The have a good defense, but lets pump the breaks a tad. Maine, W&M, and UND arent exactly offensive juggernauts (and neither is Elon). That game against UNH will show how good they really are on defense.

Good point. SB clearly has a solid defense, but SB would have to put up 20+ points to even think about beating UNH and I don't think they can do it in Durham.

Gordon Shumway
October 15th, 2014, 12:27 PM

I didn't say they were offensive juggernauts, and alluded to the fact they weren't. However, it is pretty hard to hold any team to 5 or 6 first downs, no matter how bad they are. Add to that the fact they have received little support from their offense, and I'm willing to give credit, where credit is due. They aren't going anywhere, if they don't start scoring more, but I mentioned that as well.

I hope they get torched in Durham, but I'm still glad the game is at home.

TypicalTribe
October 15th, 2014, 12:56 PM

I hate to say it, but even at 8-4, it would be a "soft" 8-4. Three losses to likely CAA playoff teams, no good OOC wins, no significant wins in conference and they would have lost their last game. They could sneak in with that resume but it would not be assured by any stretch.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 15th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I hate to say it, but even at 8-4, it would be a "soft" 8-4. Three losses to likely CAA playoff teams, no good OOC wins, no significant wins in conference and they would have lost their last game. They could sneak in with that resume but it would not be assured by any stretch.

I agree. Without having parsed through the 'bubble' yet, 8-4 in the CAA this year does seem like a very soft 8-4. We missed out at 8-3 two years ago and it feels like a similar sort of year. I think teams need to be at 9-3 to feel good on Selection Sunday.

Even at 9-3 with a loss to Villanova, we would have a whopping zero wins over playoff teams, assuming Liberty doesn't go on to take the Big South AQ.

Uncle Buck
October 15th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I didn't say they were offensive juggernauts, and alluded to the fact they weren't. However, it is pretty hard to hold any team to 5 or 6 first downs, no matter how bad they are. Add to that the fact they have received little support from their offense, and I'm willing to give credit, where credit is due. They aren't going anywhere, if they don't start scoring more, but I mentioned that as well.

I hope they get torched in Durham, but I'm still glad the game is at home.

I don't think UNHfan@rwu likes Stony Brook and wants to give any credit to the defense. As I said to him in another thread, what's been impressive are their numbers despite the offense killing them with three and outs all year. I don't see SBU beating UNH based on the terrible offense and it will be too hard to contain UNH all game. But I will say this, they play tough.

TypicalTribe
October 15th, 2014, 04:13 PM
If you look at UNH's schedule the rest of the way, the only concern might be that by the time they play a playoff game, they won't have been tested in more than two months. Could be a tough spot if they somehow draw a battle-tested MVFC team in the playoffs.

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2014, 04:22 PM
19870....UH....NEW HAMPSHIRE KNOWS...ALL TOO WELL......WHAT IT TAKES & HOW TO WIN....PLAYOFF GAMES...xnodx...BRAAWK!

49RFootballNow
October 15th, 2014, 04:36 PM
With the first words in the title of this thread, you can imagine my disappointment at opening this one up and seeing no pictures of ladies with future back problems.

UNH Fanboi
October 15th, 2014, 06:06 PM
If you look at UNH's schedule the rest of the way, the only concern might be that by the time they play a playoff game, they won't have been tested in more than two months. Could be a tough spot if they somehow draw a battle-tested MVFC team in the playoffs.

That is somewhat of a concern, but Montana had some pretty weak schedules during their deep playoff runs and they ended up fine. Ultimately I think the value of a top-4 seed is greater than the value of being battle tested but having to play on the road for the whole playoffs.

Anyway, it's premature to get too excited about that. URI is the only truly guaranteed win on the schedule. I think the most likely scenario is that we lose 1 and maybe sneak in as an ~8 seed, depending on what the rest of the top 10 does.

Catsfan90
October 15th, 2014, 06:14 PM
That is somewhat of a concern, but Montana had some pretty weak schedules during their deep playoff runs and they ended up fine. Ultimately I think the value of a top-4 seed is greater than the value of being battle tested but having to play on the road for the whole playoffs.

Anyway, it's premature to get too excited about that. URI is the only truly guaranteed win on the schedule. I think the most likely scenario is that we lose 1 and maybe sneak in as an ~8 seed, depending on what the rest of the top 10 does.
There is no such thing as a guaranteed win. URI plays the same football game that UNH does, plays by the same rules, and plays the same positions on the field.

superman7515
October 15th, 2014, 07:00 PM
There is no such thing as a guaranteed win. URI plays the same football game that UNH does, plays by the same rules, and plays the same positions on the field.

You've clearly never watched Rhode Island play then.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-07/18/8/enhanced/webdr10/anigif_enhanced-buzz-31768-1405685443-14.gif

Catsfan90
October 15th, 2014, 07:03 PM
You've clearly never watched Rhode Island play then.
I have. I don't look at anything as a guaranteed win until that 60 minutes is up. Did you wat URI play UNH in 2010? No one saw that coming.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 15th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I have. I don't look at anything as a guaranteed win until that 60 minutes is up. Did you wat URI play UNH in 2010? No one saw that coming.

+1

There was another game down there I can remember a couple years earlier that was in doubt far to late in the game...

UNHWildcat18
October 15th, 2014, 10:20 PM
UNHWIldcat18, as a fan of the Danes, curious as to an outsiders take on why you think that. Do share!

I think they have a good set of coaches the right facilities. Also I think their recruiting class last year was very strong and see them having a great one this year as they move up in schollies. Also they are Playing very well this year and have been competitive in caa play for being 1 year out the the NEC with a new head coach.

Mattymc727
October 16th, 2014, 06:59 AM

That one still haunts my memories.... I think that UNH team was one of the better teams since 2004 too. Those chokes against URI and Maine that year hurt bad.

Mattymc727
October 16th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I don't think UNHfan@rwu likes Stony Brook and wants to give any credit to the defense. As I said to him in another thread, what's been impressive are their numbers despite the offense killing them with three and outs all year. I don't see SBU beating UNH based on the terrible offense and it will be too hard to contain UNH all game. But I will say this, they play tough.

Didnt mean to pick on SBU so much Uncle Buck, I apologize. I think SBU is UNH's toughest game left actually. I know they have a talented defense, I just was trying to refute the listing as the number 4 defense in the FCS (I think thats hard to argue). For example, take out the Toledo game, and UNH has a great scoring defense too, but that was against some cupcake teams and I dont think anyone will sit here and say the UNH defense is one of the tops in FCS. One poster said SBU would be a "major player" from here on out and to me that sounded like claiming they would make the playoffs, which is probably why I went off on my rant.

Do you see any improvement out of the offense yet or is it just going to be a problem till year end?

Uncle Buck
October 16th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Didnt mean to pick on SBU so much Uncle Buck, I apologize. I think SBU is UNH's toughest game left actually. I know they have a talented defense, I just was trying to refute the listing as the number 4 defense in the FCS (I think thats hard to argue). For example, take out the Toledo game, and UNH has a great scoring defense too, but that was against some cupcake teams and I dont think anyone will sit here and say the UNH defense is one of the tops in FCS. One poster said SBU would be a "major player" from here on out and to me that sounded like claiming they would make the playoffs, which is probably why I went off on my rant.

Do you see any improvement out of the offense yet or is it just going to be a problem till year end?

Hah, no worries. And I agree, there is no way SBU will make the playoffs. They do have a solid defense that imo has been great in light of a horrific offense. The problem for sbu and why the playoffs is absurd is because against better teams, the defense can only hold them back for so long.

As for next year, they thankfully sat Kinder the senior who is go's awful and gave the reigns to a junior. He's not great by any stretch, but he's the best option so far. I still think they need a kid who throws a better ball, but we'll see. My senior year at Hofstra we had a kid play qb that was so bad the year before, they made him a receiver. He came in and was lights out and we went 8-1-1, maybe sbu will catch that lightening in a bottle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Sitting Bull
October 19th, 2014, 10:38 AM
This weekend did add a few surprises. A great game in Williamsburg, a real upset at Delaware and UAlbany continues to show they can more than compete.

What we have at this point:
Top tier: no question, Villanova and UNH. As has been pointed out, a shame they don't play this year. Robertson in my view would give Villanova the edge.

Tier 2: W&M and UR. If things go as expected, the annual rivalry game at the end of the year could be for third place and a playoff spot. W&M has to feel they can run downhill now after going through two straight games against the leaders (Delaware, JMU, Elon and Towson remain before UR finale). Toughest potential roadblock for the Tribe will be a game at JMU. UR still has Villanova and JMU on tap before the ending game in Williamsburg. I give the edge to W&M here to finish 3rd and expect them to beat Richmond.

Tier 3: JMU, UAlbany and Stony Brook. All here do have to play each other which will help with some separation. So far, the edge is to JMU as they did squeak past UAlbany on the road and appear as if they turned a corner in their last game against Towson. JMU at Stony Brook will be the key match-up ahead. All as of today still have a chance to steal a playoff spot though JMU's loss to Delaware will be a major hurdle to overcome. They really can't afford a third loss - and at least one looks likely (W&M, at Stony Brook, at UR).

Tier 4:Maine, Delaware, Towson and Elon. Not sure how these will separate out, all pretty close. I have felt all along that Delaware was moving along on a very fortunate schedule though did not expect they would lose to Towson. From here, they have a tough road to go.

Tier 5: URI: gets this spot all to themselves. You have to feel bad for them but I feel worse for the teams that missed getting URi on their CAA schedule this year (W&M).

Uncle Buck
October 19th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Good assessment. I think SBU is definitely at the bottom half of that third tier. I can't see them getting past UNH this week just based on the fact that I don't think we'll score 14 points and the defense will be on the field a lot. Albany however has me interested as I think the Danes have a real solid squad this year.

Dane96
October 19th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I agree with the assessment as well. What's really interesting with Albany, and I may borrow Danefan's comments of the same, Gattuso has the Danes lined up for the potential to squeak out 8 wins this year with essentially the same squad as last year. Great coaching job to get these kid to believe.

danefan
October 19th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Albany has gotten this far because it hasn't made bad mistakes and has capitalized on others mistakes.

+17 in turnover margin leads the nation by a lot.

32counter
October 19th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Dane first 4 games were against some real heavyweights-Holy Cross,Central Conn,URI,and mighty Columbia.Let's not get carried away.You should have gotten 17 turnovers against the Manhattan Lions by itself.

danefan
October 19th, 2014, 06:14 PM
It's hard to go +17 against anyone at
any level. It's what has kept Albany around with what is at some times and atrocious offense.

And jump to conclusions much? I never said anything about Albany 5-2 record. I was also the first to say we shouldn't have been ranked at 4-0.