PDA

View Full Version : Strength of Schedule - Final Thoughts

Maverick
November 7th, 2006, 06:19 AM
How can anyone contemplate teams with a SOS rank in Sagarin of 231 such as USD or Charleston Southern at 225 even being worthy of consideration for an at-large bid to the playoffs? This runs completely contrary to what has been done in the past for at-large bids. Sagarin's rating seems to be heavily weighted for offensive production and won-loss thus the ranking results, but Sagarins SOS is based on the results of the teams played and is not factored in to the teams rankings. Thus USD has only 9 teams with a worse schedule. Wonder how they ran up those gaudy numbers with that schedule?
It does read in the NCAA playoff selection process that the committee will examine the record to determine a team's strength of schedule. Based on that, USD and Charleston Southern should not even be mentioned in any reality based comments on being the playoffs.
All of the ratings, polls, and statistical rankings are rendered invalid when the schedule of the team is twenty places or less from the bottom of the SOS rankings. Continuing to even suggest that such teams no matter the won-loss record with such an SOS are worthy of playoff selection makes our CS completely full of BS.
Validating such a travesty by selecting teams with a crappy SOS to the playoffs will turn our new CS into a scheduling circus. If this committee does allow such teams in then we know where that scheduling circus will be able to find itself a set of clowns.

CopperCat
November 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Very valid points. I would also like to argue against a case for Portland State getting in at a potential 7-4 record (one game @ Sac St. remaining). They scheduled three I-A teams, and won one of those games which is always impressive for a I-AA school. But on the contrary, they played two top 25 I-A teams that were guaranteed losses for PSU. So if the committee selects PSU, they would be saying "Go out and play big I-A schools three times in a season, and we will give you a hard look even though you don't have a great record." Its like a way out for a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. They play big name teams, but they lose the games and end up somewhere at the top of the conference w/out the auto-bid. Also PSU has lost to the top two BSC teams: UM and MSU. If you put PSU in ahead of a 7-4 MSU team, that again is rewarding a team that in my mind didn't really earn the right to go to the playoffs. If nothing else, I hope Sac St. can put to rest this PSU in the playoffs talk, but I don't think they will unfortunately.

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM
How can anyone contemplate teams with a SOS rank in Sagarin of 231 such as USD or Charleston Southern at 225 even being worthy of consideration for an at-large bid to the playoffs? This runs completely contrary to what has been done in the past for at-large bids. Sagarin's rating seems to be heavily weighted for offensive production and won-loss thus the ranking results, but Sagarins SOS is based on the results of the teams played and is not factored in to the teams rankings. Thus USD has only 9 teams with a worse schedule. Wonder how they ran up those gaudy numbers with that schedule?
It does read in the NCAA playoff selection process that the committee will examine the record to determine a team's strength of schedule. Based on that, USD and Charleston Southern should not even be mentioned in any reality based comments on being the playoffs.
All of the ratings, polls, and statistical rankings are rendered invalid when the schedule of the team is twenty places or less from the bottom of the SOS rankings. Continuing to even suggest that such teams no matter the won-loss record with such an SOS are worthy of playoff selection makes our CS completely full of BS.
Validating such a travesty by selecting teams with a crappy SOS to the playoffs will turn our new CS into a scheduling circus. If this committee does allow such teams in then we know where that scheduling circus will be able to find itself a set of clowns.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

BigApp
November 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

GreenDay17
November 7th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Very valid points. I would also like to argue against a case for Portland State getting in at a potential 7-4 record (one game @ Sac St. remaining). They scheduled three I-A teams, and won one of those games which is always impressive for a I-AA school. But on the contrary, they played two top 25 I-A teams that were guaranteed losses for PSU. So if the committee selects PSU, they would be saying "Go out and play big I-A schools three times in a season, and we will give you a hard look even though you don't have a great record." Its like a way out for a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. They play big name teams, but they lose the games and end up somewhere at the top of the conference w/out the auto-bid. Also PSU has lost to the top two BSC teams: UM and MSU. If you put PSU in ahead of a 7-4 MSU team, that again is rewarding a team that in my mind didn't really earn the right to go to the playoffs. If nothing else, I hope Sac St. can put to rest this PSU in the playoffs talk, but I don't think they will unfortunately.

And how would MSU be worthy???? They lost to DII Chadron State, to 2-8 Eastern Washington, by a score of 45-0 to a DI-AA opponent (4-5 UC Davis), while their IA win was against 1-9 Colorado.

PSU's losses on the other hand were against the #8 and #20 BCS teams, #2 Montana, and MSU (with MSU being the only team of questionable strength). PSU's 1A win was against soon to be "bowl eligible" New Mexico.

Other than the "head to head" comparison you haven't got a leg to stand on.

th0m
November 7th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I agree on all points. Same reason CCU hasn't gone post-season, but are actually considered by quite some people, they scheduled better teams and wone some of those games. I'd like to see USD do the same before they should be considered.

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 05:18 PM
PSU has a better case than MSU, but it might be USD who gets in....
based on the following...

UM beats UNC and MSU
Cal Poly loses to NDSU

Big Sky Conference gets 1 team in
Southaland gets 1 team in

USD then gets selected based on too many teams having 4 losses and the fact that USD will be undefeated and GPI worthy, not to mentioned ranked in all polls and be tops in many statistical categories. It's a crazy year in I-AA football and may be the only time a non-scholly from the PFL ever gets in.

Ronbo
November 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM
If we go 10-1....

Montana - 4 presently ranked top 25 victories. Cal Poly, MSU, PSU, SDSU.

If UMass goes 10-1, 2 top 25 victories. UNH and Maine.

Why all the hulabaloo about them?

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM
San Diego gets in because they want to reward Montana at a #2 seed. I mean, the top seeds out East also get the pasties, why not out West too. :)

GreenDay17
November 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
It's a crazy year in I-AA football and may be the only time a non-scholly from the PFL ever gets in.

No offense, but it'll be a sad day for I-AA football.:(

Khan4Cats
November 7th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by GreenDay17
No offense, but it'll be a sad day for I-AA football.

Actually with San Diego and their weak schedule all you get is OFFENSE:D

BisonSig
November 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Okay, San Diego doesn't get in because their competition is ranked on average more then 100 spots worse then Montana's. Undefeated or not, strength of schedule is to low.

Right now, I say Montana gets the top ranking, followed my UMass, ASU, JMU.

I got that from crunching the current ratings of all 4 of those teams competition to date, the only one out of order is JMU behind ASU by virtue of their loss to them.

Take it for what its worth...

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 05:51 PM
What is the highest ranked GPI team NDSU has played prior to this weekend?

AZGrizFan
November 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM

So they schedule 3 I-A's and lose two....you schedule 1 I-A and I D-II and LOSE to the D-II, and want the committee to pick you over PSU? Did PSU lose to a D-II? Did they lose to any I-AA 45-0?

Just wanted to see if I've got that straight....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FargoBison
November 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM
What is the highest ranked GPI team NDSU has played prior to this weekend?

Northeastern #29 but NDSU has also played 2 I-A's as well.

SactoHornetFan
November 7th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Like MSU has any room to talk. Our loss to Chadron, CHADRON, killed your I-A win. Simply, the Sky is going to be a one-bid conference this year, IMHO :eek:

ucdtim17
November 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I think Chadron and CU cancel each other out

ucdtim17
November 7th, 2006, 06:28 PM

UCD is #21 after the Dakota losses

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 7th, 2006, 07:01 PM
If we go 10-1....

Montana - 4 presently ranked top 25 victories. Cal Poly, MSU, PSU, SDSU.

If UMass goes 10-1, 2 top 25 victories. UNH and Maine.

Why all the hulabaloo about them?

The way they win... and UNH, Towson, and Maine have been in the top 25 this year... Just because they're out now doesn't mean they won't be back.

I actually agree though, JMU is better than UMass in my opinion, but they deserve the ranking since their loss was to I-A and they have no D-II games scheduled.

Start winning big and the computers will put you back up where you think you belong and your GPI won't suffer anymore.

bkrownd
November 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM
How can anyone contemplate teams with a SOS rank in Sagarin of 231 such as USD ....

Because this season there aren't as many teams who've had seasons worthy of a playoff spot. It takes more than just showing up on Saturdays. You gotta show something special, something interesting, even if it's against Valpo. New faces are refreshing. I don't want to see the same old "big name" programs cruising into the playoffs after a lackluster season. I wanna see what these toreros can do.

Torero Tradition
November 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I like the resurgence of UMASS football... congrats.... will be interested to see how the playoffs go for you guys. What's your football game atmosphere like there at UMASS?

CopperCat
November 7th, 2006, 08:55 PM
So they schedule 3 I-A's and lose two....you schedule 1 I-A and I D-II and LOSE to the D-II, and want the committee to pick you over PSU? Did PSU lose to a D-II? Did they lose to any I-AA 45-0?

Just wanted to see if I've got that straight....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Are you stupid? I'm not talking about MSU! I am talking about PSU, and if you want to dig on the Cats, then go to the smack board dumbass!

But as long as you want to talk about the Cats, they did shutout PSU, and yes, we have won six in a row.

grizband
November 8th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Beating one, and losing to the other by one point...

Dabnus Brickey
November 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Strength of schedule is important...i think there should an NIT for the rest of the ones who didn't make it. I wouldn't mind finishing #17 if we didn't get in.

AZGrizFan
November 8th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Are you stupid? I'm not talking about MSU! I am talking about PSU, and if you want to dig on the Cats, then go to the smack board dumbass!

But as long as you want to talk about the Cats, they did shutout PSU, and yes, we have won six in a row.

Apparently the only DUMBASS in the room is you, *****stick. Let me refresh your feeble boobkitty memory:

Originally posted by FTG06 (otherwise known as BlowingMyself06):

I would also like to argue against a case for Portland State getting in at a potential 7-4 record (one game @ Sac St. remaining). They scheduled three I-A teams, and won one of those games which is always impressive for a I-AA school. But on the contrary, they played two top 25 I-A teams that were guaranteed losses for PSU. So if the committee selects PSU, they would be saying "Go out and play big I-A schools three times in a season, and we will give you a hard look even though you don't have a great record." Its like a way out for a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. They play big name teams, but they lose the games and end up somewhere at the top of the conference w/out the auto-bid. Also PSU has lost to the top two BSC teams: UM and MSU. If you put PSU in ahead of a 7-4 MSU team, that again is rewarding a team that in my mind didn't really earn the right to go to the playoffs. If nothing else, I hope Sac St. can put to rest this PSU in the playoffs talk, but I don't think they will unfortunately.]

THAT, my pea-brained boobkat friend, is the sentence I was responding to. That fact that you're not smart enough to follow the conversation isn't my problem.

Now, go smack yourself again, SFB. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx