PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

rokamortis
October 12th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I see a lot of people praising Liberty for the win over App State. I agree, they should be commended for beating a team with more scholarships. Especially one who was so dominant for so long even thought we recognize they have fallen on hard times. The lines and predictors I saw had this at about a 3 point spread in favor of App State, so they predicted it would be close.

One thing I haven't seen talked about as much is Charleston Southern's 1 point loss to Vanderbilt. An FBS team, in the SEC. Although they didn't the win, they played Vandy much tougher than anyone predicted. Vandy isn't very good either but is established and plays in the best FBS football conference.

So which one is better: a win against App State or a 1 point loss against Vanderbilt?

Ghost
October 12th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I don't think you will find a lot of people (even liberty fans) who will say that Liberty's win over App is better than the CSU loss to Vandy. as bad as Vandy is in the SEC they would cream App. Liberty took over time and a barley missed FG by APP to beat them. I'll give credit to CSU's HC. He's the real deal and I wouldn't be surprised if he's not being poached by a sunbelt team next year.

AshevilleApp2
October 12th, 2014, 02:26 PM
No disrespect to Liberty, but the loss to Vanderbilt.

Some App fans are already calling for a coaching change, bringing CS's coach in. I don't agree, but it shows how low people (at least the online variety) have come in a short time.

rokamortis
October 12th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I don't think you will find a lot of people (even liberty fans) who will say that Liberty's win over App is better than the CSU loss to Vandy. as bad as Vandy is in the SEC they would cream App. Liberty took over time and a barley missed FG by APP to beat them. I'll give credit to CSU's HC. He's the real deal and I wouldn't be surprised if he's not being poached by a sunbelt team next year.

He certainly outcoached Coastal last year.

knucklehead
October 12th, 2014, 02:28 PM
On the surface. CSU's loss is better, but alas it's a loss. I'll take the W

rokamortis
October 12th, 2014, 02:30 PM
No disrespect to Liberty, but the loss to Vanderbilt.

Some App fans are already calling for a coaching change, bringing CS's coach in. I don't agree, but it shows how low people (at least the online variety) have come in a short time.

They completely botched the Jerry Moore 'transition' and the FBS debut has been a **** show. I'm not sure if Chadwell is the best person for the job, but I can't see them being patient with Satterfield for much longer. Perhaps they'll give him one more season, but I could see them moving in a new direction after this season.

knucklehead
October 12th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I will say that Big South conference play will be much more like a gauntlet this year. Going to be really tough. Glad we have Chadwell and CSU at home this year. Gonna be a tough one, as is Monmouth (also at home). Coastal appears to be a monster.

ElCid
October 12th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Both teams did very good this week. I was very impressed with CSU, but wins are always better than close losses, always.

heath
October 12th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Vandy is horrible this year. Sad since the DC at Vandy that came over from Stanford was a Lehigh guy and we miss him sooooooo much now. BUT, I will take a win any day. After the tough Richmond game, good to see Liberty rebound.
Gotta go Flames here

BisonFan02
October 12th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I hate moral victories....take the W every time.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 12th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Vandy and App State look to be pretty similar in skill this year, I think a game between them would be a toss-up.

The close loss to Vandy does legitimize CSU some IMO - they have a great record, but they've played some weak teams.

On the other hand, while Liberty has played a tougher schedule, their signature win this season is probably Bryant (who is probably a stronger team this year than App State).

CSU has been more consistent, Liberty may have a slight edge in quality of wins, I'm not sure who I'll rank higher.

bjtheflamesfan
October 12th, 2014, 04:39 PM
If both had lost or both won I'd give the nod to the Bucs...but since Liberty won I'm giving it to them

MTfan4life
October 12th, 2014, 06:37 PM
as bad as Vandy is in the SEC they would cream App.

Vanderbilt is a joke. They needed a last minute touchdown to beat a terrible Massachusetts team at home. There's no way they would cream App. St. Vandy has only looked any resemblance to a FBS football team in their conference games. They've been beyond terrible in non-con play. Let's not go giving them any awards for being a member of the SEC.

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I think the win is always "better" but I think CSU's strong showing at Vandy is more "significant" just because their terrible schedule hasn't given us any indication of how good they are. I still rank Liberty higher but I think CSU has a legitimate claim to be considered a top 25 team to this point.

rokamortis
October 12th, 2014, 07:10 PM
I think the win is always "better" but I think CSU's strong showing at Vandy is more "significant" just because their terrible schedule hasn't given us any indication of how good they are. I still rank Liberty higher but I think CSU has a legitimate claim to be considered a top 25 team to this point.

So you think Coastal, Liberty, and Charleston Southern should all be ranked?

Thumper 76
October 12th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Depends on your phrasing. It's always better to have a win. It's more impressive to almost take out vandy

Professor Chaos
October 12th, 2014, 10:27 PM
So you think Coastal, Liberty, and Charleston Southern should all be ranked?

I think Coastal and Liberty should be ranked. I don't have CSU ranked in my top 25 but they're close IMO and I wouldn't fault someone who did put them in the 20-25 range.

CSU18
October 13th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I asked myself the same question. I remember beating App in regulation last year and everyone discounting it because App was "down." This year we go to Vandy, who I'm pretty sure is better than App and lose by 1 and it's being discounted because it was an L not a W. I think going toe to toe with any SEC team is more impressive than an overtime win against a Sun Belt bottom dweller.

Catamount87
October 13th, 2014, 08:56 AM
In the end, all that anyone will remember are the wins and losses. So, as the old saying goes, there are no "moral victories".

PAllen
October 13th, 2014, 09:43 AM
A win is a win is a win.