PDA

View Full Version : Clip of RMU-Albany Helmet-to-Helmet

rmutv
November 6th, 2006, 09:06 PM
As promised in the RMU-Albany game thread, here is what I could get that showed the controversial hit by Eric Neugebeur on Mario Hines. We only had two angles, so I zoomed in and centered on the hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8fOlV6zL44

The clip is 8 seconds long and shows the entire hit.

There was no penalty on the play, although afterwards RMU WR Michael Rogers was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after he shoved Albany DB Rashad Barksdale, who was covering Hines on the play and stood over him and barked at him after the Neugebeur hit.

You can clearly see that Eric Neugebeur lines up the hit about 5 steps away, drops his head three steps away, and hits Hines in the side of the helmet with the crown of his own helmet.

By the way, Hines is okay. He's still a bit out of it and still has a sore neck and a bit of a headache, but he's okay.

BobbyMo
November 6th, 2006, 09:14 PM
TV,
Thanks for putting that up. I am not sure of the helmet to helmet rules, but anyone who has played knows its damn near impossible not to lead with head sometimes. I still do not think his intent was to put his helmet into Marios.

Again, just my opinion. Thanks again for showing it. Looking forward to Tues night to watch the whole game again.

Lafayette71
November 7th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Great job with the clip there. I'd have to agree that while it is unfortunate that the receiver was injured, I don't see that as being a particularly "dirty" hit. His job in that position is to seperate the reciever from the ball and he's really lowering his shoulders for a big hit. Hines covers ups in anticipation of the hit and dropped his earhole into the path of the defenders head. It looks like he's attacking with his helmet in slo-motion but in reality that's bang bang play. un-intentional or not he still should have been flagged for striking the opponent with the crown of the helmet since he didn't have his head up.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
RMUTV...you are a ballsy fool. You were ripped apart on another board for the thread you started. THE CLIP CLEARLY SHOWS A LEGAL...and AWESOME FOOTBALL TACKLE.

As stated before, you owe Neug's a public apology for your horse**** rant on another board.

And, get the facts straight. BARKSDALE STOOD NEAR HINES...and BARKED AT NEUGS FOR A MONSTER HIT.

Was it unsportsmanlike...yeah, but not enough for a penalty considering the game was full of huge hitting by both sides. I dont condone taunting...but after seeing that hit again...it was clearly legal.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Great job with the clip there. I'd have to agree that while it is unfortunate that the receiver was injured, I don't see that as being a particularly "dirty" hit. His job in that position is to seperate the reciever from the ball and he's really lowering his shoulders for a big hit. Hines covers ups in anticipation of the hit and dropped his earhole into the path of the defenders head. It looks like he's attacking with his helmet in slo-motion but in reality that's bang bang play. un-intentional or not he still should have been flagged for striking the opponent with the crown of the helmet since he didn't have his head up.

No, actually he shouldnt have been flagged at all. First, bang bang play...not getting that call unless it was an intentional play, which it was not.

Second, if you slow mo it (which about 30 different fans on other boards have), you can clearly see, Neugs drop his shoulder...hits Hines in the chest with the shoulder first, and the collision actually spins NEUGS HEAD INTO HINES SHOULDER PAD, finally grazing off the helmet...barely!

It was TEXTBOOK!

rmutv
November 7th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Thank you all for your opinions. My final statement on the issue is this:

Through repeated viewings and some discussion with others, there is some lack of clarity regarding the helmet-to-helmet hit rules that I need to become more familiar with. I'll make that admission. Neugebeur did not make a dirty hit, but he did hit Hines with the crown of his helmet. Either that was because of pure incidental contact or because of the way Neugebeur hit him.

As Lafayette said, I think Neugebeur should've been hit with a penalty, but obviously anything beyond that would be extremely controversial. My original statement here on AGS said that Negebeur led with his helmet, hit with his helmet, and hit Hines in his helmet.

While it's no longer clear that Neugebeur led with his helmet, there was significant contact with the crown of his helmet on Hines. That is what propelled me, and members of the team, to review this much closer.

Thanks again for your opinions. It appears we're at a stalemate.

Dane96
November 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Actually, the crown is the top of the helment...so again you are wrong. NEUGS LEFT SIDE OF THE HELMET HIT MARIOS PADS...then the HELMET as an incidental, secondary hit.

BTW...I find it interesting that Walton and Ford have had no discussion on the matter...maybe because Walton felt it was fine...

Further, two people are not at a stalemate if the others claims are unsubstantiated and fail to have evidence backing it. Evidence shows a clean hit...thus no penalty. Thus, your position, is baseless.

It is called logical reasoning...try it sometime instead of proclaiming on two boards (where the fans of your own school rip you to shreds) that a player and team is dirty.

Not to say individuals cant be dirty...but not in this instance.

I WOULD CHECK YOUR PM.

monmouthhawk
November 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Totally clean. Just unfortunate for any injuries.

alumNEC
November 8th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I honestly thought it looked much worse in person than it actually was... This clip is an absolutely legal hit, no doubt about it, it is all shoulder by the Albany defender with a minor incidental helmet contact afterwards... But I am very happy to hear that the RMU player is doing well, he seemed relatively fine after the game, like I said before he was smiling and shootin' the breeze at the post-game handshake... The players and coaches both handled the game with a lot of class which is very hard to do with a hard-hitting battle like this game was, it made me happy to be a fan of the NEC

TxSt02
November 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM
clean... it just looks worse in slow mo

danefan
November 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM
looks clean to me....just looks like a good hit.

rmutv
November 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Quick injury update on Mario Hines:

He was re-evaluated after his symptoms didn't improve and it's now been determined that he did suffer a concussion from the collision. He's been attending class but there's some confusion what his status for the season finale against Sacred Heart is. Seems Mario wants to play - he always does - but there's obviously some health concerns as well. So we'll see.