PDA

View Full Version : Liberty at Appalachian State

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 02:44 PM
After a weekend of rain on Friday night and Saturday morning, gorgeous sunshine has broken through for game time at Kidd Brewer Stadium for an intriguing battle between two once formidable rivals, Appalachian State and Liberty. It is also intriguing from the standpoint of how FBS newby ASU does against an FCS team with FBS aspirations, Liberty.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Both teams are about even in my eyes. App state has gone down a LOT.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Liberty went for an onside kick on the first play of the day and the kicker botched it miserably. ASU's Marcus Cox then scored on a TD run on the first play from scrimmage. But Liberty has responded with the passing game to move to the ASU red zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Both teams are about even in my eyes. App state has gone down a LOT.
I was telling folks this was a 50-50 game all week.

- - - Updated - - -

Liberty converts a third and two for a first and goal at the four.

- - - Updated - - -

Gabe Henderson with a great catch to make it second and goal at the 1.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 02:49 PM
TD blast for Liberty. 8:23 left in the first period and its 7-7.

11 plays, 75 yards, 6:29 off the clock on the drive as Abner scores from the one.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 02:57 PM
ASU fumbles the ball away at the Liberty 10 after a long, sustained drive.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 03:07 PM
TD pass of 24 yards from Josh Woodrum to TE Dexter Herman makes it Liberty 14, ASU 7 with 46 seconds left in the first quarter.

7 plays, 88 yards, 4:04 on the drive.

AshevilleApp2
October 11th, 2014, 03:09 PM
TD pass of 24 yards from Josh Woodrum to TE Dexter Herman makes it Liberty 14, ASU 7 with 46 seconds left in the first quarter.

7 plays, 88 yards, 4:04 on the drive.

Are you happy about this?

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Terrible Internet up here today. Simms McElfresh and Taylor Lamb got together for a 63-yard pass play to tie the score at 14 for ASU early in the second quarter.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Are you happy about this?
Not sure what you are asking me? If you mean this illustrates some of the mistakes that the Charlie Cobb regime made, I will say that it does. I have always liked seeing FCS teams beat FBS opponents.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 03:24 PM
The rain has begun coming down again at Kidd Brewer Stadium.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 03:26 PM
A Bentley Critcher rugby punt results in an ASU TD when Liberty muffs the return and the ball is recovered in the end zone with 11:50 left in the half. The play is under review.

TD is confirmed. ASU 21, Liberty 14.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Perfect pass from Woodrum to Dante Shells for a 75-yard bomb on the next play from scrimmage. ASU 21, Liberty 21. 11:42 left in the half.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Kenny Scott of Liberty recovers a fumble on a hop and scoots into the end zone for 39 yards and a TD.
Liberty 28, ASU 21. Marcus Cox fumbled on a hit by free safety Jacob Hagen. 6:58 left in the half.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Liberty kills an App drive with an interception at the six and a return to the Flame 39. 3:57 left in the half.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Lamb to Malachi Jones for a long connection to the Liberty 23. Less than a minute left in the half.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 04:01 PM
App State shows a lack of aggressive by running the clock down to nine seconds facing fourth and three at the 16 to set up a 33-yard Critcher field goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Liberty 28, App State 24 at the half.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 04:27 PM
App state looks no better than an above average FCS school.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 04:31 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the future holds for App State. They're in a state that's saturated with FBS schools and have decent but not great academics. I'm not sure what their selling point as a FBS program is....

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 04:32 PM
App state looks no better than an above average FCS school.
This is probably the worst App State team in the past 25-plus years.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Doug Middleton saves a TD pass with a break up for App State on third and 10 from the 16.

Liberty's field goal makes it 31-24 with a 33-yard Field Goal.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 04:35 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the future holds for App State. They're in a state that's saturated with FBS schools and have decent but not great academics. I'm not sure what their selling point as a FBS program is....
National championships. Really app state is so bad that they wouldn't be top 7 MVFC or top 5 CAA. Sun belt is probably a top 3 FCS league at best and gets a boost from playing 4 FBS teams in OOC.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 04:36 PM
As a faculty member at App State, I'd argue that ASU's academics are better than you might think. But the future is as bleak as it is for any other FBS move-up not named Boise State.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 04:38 PM
As a faculty member at App State, I'd argue that ASU's academics are better than you might think. But the future is as bleak as it is for any other FBS move-up not named Boise State.

But it's still a regional university in a state with some outstanding schools. They might be "better than you think" but by an measurable metric they're solid but nothing really more. ECU, NC State and UNC all have the upper hand on App State and politics won't allow that to change. The Sun Belt is also a terrible conference. They're well behind the AAC and MWC...there's basically 3 levels of FBS football....

Charlotte starting football didn't do App State any favors either...

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Lamb to Beathard for Beathard's first career TD 60 yards on the strike. Liberty 31, ASU 31 with 11:36 left in the third period.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 04:41 PM
But it's still a regional university in a state with some outstanding schools. They might be "better than you think" but by an measurable metric they're solid but nothing really more. ECU, NC State and UNC all have the upper hand on App State and politics won't allow that to change.
Agreed App State isn't even a national university and only has an endowment of 70 million. For a university like that I would say App State is doing well.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM
But it's still a regional university in a state with some outstanding schools. They might be "better than you think" but by an measurable metric they're solid but nothing really more. ECU, NC State and UNC all have the upper hand on App State and politics won't allow that to change. The Sun Belt is also a terrible conference. They're well behind the AAC and MWC...there's basically 3 levels of FBS football....

Charlotte starting football didn't do App State any favors either...
App is far superior to UNCC in academics and probably ECU as well (both also regional universities). ASU is third in the state in the number of applicants and is over 18,000 now in enrollment.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I would argue that the Sun Belt contains no peer institutions for App State, other than Georgia Southern.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I would argue that the Sun Belt contains no peer institutions for App State, other than Georgia Southern.
How? The league is full of above average and average regional universities plus a couple of below average national universities. The endowments are also similar, App State might be a little better academically, but that's it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 04:53 PM
How? The league is full of above average and average regional universities plus a couple of below average national universities. The endowments are also similar, App State might be a little better academically, but that's it.

I agree. They fit in perfect with the most of the schools in the SBC....

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 04:57 PM
On topic I am still disappointed at App State. In my FCS world they are the same as NDSU.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 04:58 PM
35 yard field goal for Liberty makes it 34-31 Flames with 8:29 left in the third period.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:02 PM
ASU with a 48-yard TD from Lamb to Meadors to make it 37-34 with 6:42 left in the third quarter. Lamb has an ASU freshman single-game record with 366 yards passing, breaking the 1981 record of Randy Joyce against VMI.

- - - Updated - - -

Interception for Doug Middleton of ASU at the Liberty 48. 6:32 left in the third period.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Picked off.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:03 PM
What one of those schools has any kind of academic reputation?

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 05:05 PM
What one of those schools has any kind of academic reputation?
Check US news or any university rankings. Look at endowments on wiki.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Critcher with the field goal from 38 yards to make it ASU 40, Liberty 34. 4:47 left in the third period.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Check US news or any university rankings. Look at endowments on wiki.
Endowments don't mean you have a better university academically.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Endowments don't mean you have a better university academically.
Why not? Research is an important part of how much economic activity your school has. Some of it can be superficial but that's not true for the majority.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Liberty with a long TD drive to make it 41-40 Flames with 29 seconds left in the third period.

9 plays, 75 yards, one-yard TD by Abner, his second TD of the game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Why not? Research is an important part of how much economic activity your school has. Some of it can be superficial but that's not true for the majority.

The bottom line is App State has a lot of in-state competition both athletically and academically. As a Other 5 alum, I have a vested interest in these teams and schools. The Mountaineers had a great run in FCS. However, that means very little now in the grand scheme of things. This is a critical game for App State. It's also a big game for Liberty as they continue to search for a program defining win. Gill seems to have a lot of Rocco in him....

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 05:20 PM
The bottom line is App State has a lot of in-state competition both athletically and academically. As a Other 5 alum, I have a vested interest in these teams and schools. The Mountaineers had a great run in FCS. However, that means very little now in the grand scheme of things. This is a critical game for App State. It's also a big game for Liberty as they continue to search for a program defining win. Gill seems to have a lot of Rocco in him....
If liberty loses, their playoff dreams are almost gone.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 05:21 PM

I have to believe Gill will start to feel the pressure if they fail to make the playoffs again. The program still seems about where it was when he took over....

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:30 PM
16-yard punt from Critcher gives Liberty the ball at the ASU 46 with 14:36 to play. Huge series for both teams.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I have to believe Gill will start to feel the pressure if they fail to make the playoffs again. The program still seems about where it was when he took over....
The FBS propaganda doesn't work if they can't even make the playoffs.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Liberty needs to win the Big South to ensure a berth.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:35 PM
ASU partially blocks a Liberty field goal from 57 yards out to keep the game at 41-40 Liberty with 12:57 left. Next play is a 60-yard TD run for Terrence Upshaw and ASU leads 48-41 with the two-point conversion pass from Lamb to Beathard in the right corner of the end zone.

centennial
October 11th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Both teams have no defense.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Body slam by Olawale Dada of ASU gives Liberty a first down at the ASU 31.

- - - Updated - - -

4th and 2 for Liberty at the ASU 25 results in a first down at the 20. 8:11 left.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:52 PM
No props for the stinky Internet connection here today.

Woodrum had a 14-yard option run for a TD on a third and three play to tie it at 48-all with 6:19 remaining.

- - - Updated - - -

12 plays, 75 yards on the scoring drive for Liberty, which seems to be wearing down the ASU defense.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Upshaw with a long run to the Liberty 49 on the next play from scrimmage. Wiped out by holding.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 06:00 PM
ASU is running the ball at Liberty and has a first down at the Flame 39 with 3:12 left.

- - - Updated - - -

Down to 58 seconds left with ASU facing a third and six at the Liberty 23.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 06:01 PM
First down sprint pass to McElfresh for a first down at the Liberty 11. 53 seconds left.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 06:05 PM
ASU runs it down to two seconds and stops the clock for a potential game-winning field goal from 32 yards out. Critcher is kicking field goals for the first time in his career today.

- - - Updated - - -

The kick is WIDE left. Overtime.

- - - Updated - - -

The missed field goal call is under review.

- - - Updated - - -

26,058 attendance today on ASU homecoming.

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Liberty gets the ball first in OT after App wins the toss.

- - - Updated - - -

Third and one sweep for Abner to the ASU 14.

- - - Updated - - -

Liberty is running right at the tired ASU defense.

- - - Updated - - -

2nd and 10 after an incomplete Liberty pass. Abner with a delay to the ASU 9. 3rd and 5.

Cleets
October 11th, 2014, 06:13 PM
What is this tie score ..?

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Slant pass with motion against the grain. TD Liberty. 55-48.

- - - Updated - - -

ASU needs a TD and PAT to send it to a second OT.

Cleets
October 11th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Slant pass with motion against the grain. TD Liberty. 55-48.

thank you sir for these updates... !!!

Mr. C
October 11th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Marcus Cox with a first down run to the nine.

- - - Updated - - -

Lamb interception in the end zone. Liberty wins 55-48.

- - - Updated - - -

Lamb was trying to hit a receiver over the middle in the end zone and overthrew him.

IBleedYellow
October 11th, 2014, 06:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

App State, You suck. Lol

Cleets
Wow...

centennial
Dumpster fire. The mighty have fallen.

marenlee
This one was for Jerry Moore :D

IBleedYellow
October 11th, 2014, 06:18 PM
That said, Good job Liberty! Way to pick out another FBS scalp!

UNH Fanboi
October 11th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Great job Liberty sticking it to those FBS wannabes!

whoanellie
October 11th, 2014, 06:49 PM
THAT CAMPBELL game looms large but SunBelt has some real dogs with Fleas

Smitty
October 11th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Wow I remember them thinking Satterfield was the best hire possible. Looks like they may be regretting it now however.

bjtheflamesfan
October 11th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Watching out for bridge jumpers in Boone

Sly Fox
October 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM
This win is sweet on multiple levels. We'll be savoring this one in Lynchburg all through the bye week before we hit the Big South.

SpeedkingATL
October 11th, 2014, 07:52 PM
This win is sweet on multiple levels. We'll be savoring this one in Lynchburg all through the bye week before we hit the Big South.

Nice win Liberty. Well deserved victory.

knucklehead
October 11th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Nice win Liberty. Well deserved victory.

Thanks man! Kind words.

BullDog85
October 11th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Always love to see CrAppy State lose. Congrats Liberty.

BigHouseClosedEnd
October 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Great job Liberty.

LOL @Appy.

knucklehead
October 11th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Great job Liberty.

LOL @Appy.

Thanks! Still wish we could have last week back. Bad taste. haha

Drblankstare
October 11th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Hard to imagine now, but Appy was the King of FCS just a few short years ago. Now their an also ran in the scum belt. Friends don't let friends go FBS.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 11th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Wow I remember them thinking Satterfield was the best hire possible. Looks like they may be regretting it now however.

I remember saying on this board a season ago that I was not convinced Satterfield would make a better head coach over Shawn Elliott (the other finalist). Now I feel some level of confirmation that Satterfield is to App State what Derek Dooley was to UT.

IBleedYellow
October 11th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Hard to imagine now, but Appy was the King of FCS just a few short years ago. Now their an also ran in the scum belt. Friends don't let friends go FBS.
This is why I am living it up with NDSU being so great right now.

BullDog85
October 11th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Caldwell at CSU is waiting for CrAppy's call. Satterfield is toast. I don't see him making it very much longer unless they are short on cash and can't buy out his contract.

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2014, 10:55 PM
App goes down...and the worst part is, no one on here was really that surprised.

Needless to say, all the SoCon fans are snickering (some privately, some openly) just a bit right now.

BisonFan02
October 11th, 2014, 11:00 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-25049-laughing-out-loud-lol-gif-Now-xlnU.gif

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2014, 11:07 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-25049-laughing-out-loud-lol-gif-Now-xlnU.gif

Yep...pretty much just like that. :)

AshevilleApp2
October 11th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Good job Liberty. You absolutely deserved to win.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 11:17 PM
I saw a stat that the SBC is 4-24 against teams from other FBS conferences. Is that correct? I find it hard to believe it's that atrocious. If that's true something must done within FBS. The AAC has nothing in common with that type of football....

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2014, 11:22 PM
I saw a stat that the SBC is 4-24 against teams from other FBS conferences. Is that correct? I find it hard to believe it's that atrocious. If that's true something must done within FBS. The AAC has nothing common in that type of football....

Sounds about right...though if I were to defend the Sun Belt for a moment, I assume the majority of their OOC games are paycheck games versus P5 teams.

Of course, this is also the Sun Belt's second loss to an FCS team this year.

EDIT...just quickly looking at the composite schedule, it appears they have played 14 P5 schools so far with only 1 win (UL Monroe beat Wake at home...the other two home losses were Duke at Troy and Mississippi State at South Alabama)...11 of the 14 were road games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Sounds about right...though if I were to defend the Sun Belt for a moment, I assume the majority of their OOC games are paycheck games versus P5 teams.

Of course, this is also the Sun Belt's second loss to an FCS team this year.

Which is why they're truly nothing more than a quasi FCS conference. The separation that exists within FBS is maddening. The AAC and MWC as a whole take football and hoops very seriously. The fact that they are lumped in with the SBC just irks me, lol.

IndyTreeFan
October 11th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Congrats Liberty! Great win!!!

chattanoogamocs
October 11th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Which is why they're truly nothing more than a quasi FCS conference. The separation that exists within FBS is maddening. The AAC and MWC as a whole take football and hoops very seriously. The fact that they are lumped in with the SBC just irks me, lol.

To quote Judge Smails on Caddyshack..."well, the world needs ditch diggers too"...and at the FBS level, that is pretty much what the MAC and SBC are.

They are playing the same games versus high end P5's, just like FCS teams...but they do get paid in the $1 million range, as opposed to $400-$500K for FCS teams. So basically, they are just a higher priced call girl in the eyes of the P5.

:)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 11:38 PM
To quote Judge Smails on Caddyshack..."well, the world needs ditch diggers too"...and at the FBS level, that is pretty much what the MAC and SBC are.

They are playing the same games versus high end P5's, just like FCS teams...but they do get paid in the $1 million range, as opposed to $400-$500K for FCS teams. So basically, they are just a higher priced call girl in the eyes of the P5.

Great post....

If nothing else the MAC has an identity and a loveable quality. They, at times, have proven to be a very respectable conference. I actually thoroughly enjoyed Temple's time in the league. However, I can't help but think the current structure of FBS hurts the MAC, especially if the Big 10 remains down. The two conferences seem to feed off of each other....

caribbeanhen
October 12th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Give me Liberty or give me ....................?

Nice win

dewey
October 12th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Great post. Just a higher priced call girl...great analogy!

Dewey

Baldy
October 12th, 2014, 10:16 AM
App goes down...and the worst part is, no one on here was really that surprised.

Needless to say, all the SoCon fans are snickering (some privately, some openly) just a bit right now.
I can't speak for App fans, but "we" are snickering too...at the SoCon.

The Cats
October 12th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Congrats to Liberty, very nice win.

The Cats
October 12th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I can't speak for App fans, but "we" are snickering too...at the SoCon.

What's wrong baldy? Won't they let you play on the big-boy boards? ...you have to troll FCS boards to get your kicks. We feel bad for you that you moved up to the bottom tier FBS conference, but after all, it was your choice.

citdog
October 12th, 2014, 10:45 AM
What's wrong baldy? Won't they let you play on the big-boy boards? ...you have to troll FCS boards to get your kicks. We feel bad for you that you moved up to the bottom tier FBS conference, but after all, it was your choice.

Nicely done Cats. I too wonder why they even bother. Great win for the Fightin' Falwells! appy is staring 1-11 right in the face.

dgtw
October 12th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Great post....

If nothing else the MAC has an identity and a loveable quality. They, at times, have proven to be a very respectable conference. I actually thoroughly enjoyed Temple's time in the league. However, I can't help but think the current structure of FBS hurts the MAC, especially if the Big 10 remains down. The two conferences seem to feed off of each other....

I like the MAC, even though I have no ties to any of the schools or any of the states in the conference footprint. I like it because it is what a conference should be. A collection of like minded and like sized schools. The league is rather compact, so each school can avoid long travel to a number of conference rivals. None of them have delusions of grandeur that the Big Ten is going to pick them in the next expansion.

Baldy
October 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Damn cat, a little sensitive? xlolx

The Sun Belt might be the bottom conference this year, and, you're right, we did move because it was our choice. I just feel sorry for you that you're stuck in one of the worst FCS conferences, and you don't have a choice. Here's hoping you can make a little lemonade. xthumbsupx

With that said, I'm still a big fan of FCS, and I hate seeing it constantly getting shafted by the NCAA.

Baldy
October 12th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Nicely done Cats. I too wonder why they even bother. Great win for the Fightin' Falwells! appy is staring 1-11 right in the face.
Don't worry old friend, ****tydel will get to be our whore (again) next season.xsmiley_wix
Hope to see you there. xnodx

citdog
October 12th, 2014, 11:16 AM

The Sun Belt might be the bottom conference this year, and, you're right, we did move because it was our choice. I just feel sorry for you that you're stuck in one of the worst FCS conferences, and you don't have a choice. Here's hoping you can make a little lemonade. xthumbsupx

With that said, I'm still a big fan of FCS, and I hate seeing it constantly getting shafted by the NCAA.

It's so nice to only have to make one more trip to pigs ass, ga. We'll whip fannies.

Baldy
October 12th, 2014, 11:22 AM
It's so nice to only have to make one more trip to pigs ass, ga. We'll whip fannies.
That's nice and all, but I don't really care about the latent homosexual activities inside your locker room. ;)

smallcollegefbfan
October 12th, 2014, 12:22 PM
This game is no surprise. I had told a few App people that they might lose this game. Liberty has a few potential NFL guys, at least 5, maybe 6 (among seniors and juniors). App has maybe 2 (among seniors and juniors) who have a shot to make it. App also isn't very well coached. Congrats to Liberty. App's new AD may have some decisions to make pretty quickly. It's going to get interesting up there. I still think App can produce a solid winner in the SBC but sadly for them they may have to fire their former QB to do it.

walliver
October 12th, 2014, 12:32 PM

Mercer has beaten more scholarship teams than Appy this year.

catamount man
October 12th, 2014, 01:12 PM

I will give your team the utmost credit though. You guys have taken the FBS ball and ran with it. 4 more conferences wins and you'll sweep the Sun Belt. I have read that an exemption will be offered and you guys will play in the GODADDY.COM bowl. MAJOR kudos to Georgia Southern.

knucklehead
October 12th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Highlights:
http://youtu.be/ftqL1dZt7T8

Baldy
October 12th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I will give your team the utmost credit though. You guys have taken the FBS ball and ran with it. 4 more conferences wins and you'll sweep the Sun Belt. I have read that an exemption will be offered and you guys will play in the GODADDY.COM bowl. MAJOR kudos to Georgia Southern.
That would be nice, but it isn't going to happen. Good luck to the Cats. Feels good being on a playoff run, doesn't it? xthumbsupx

Baldy
October 12th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Mercer has beaten more scholarship teams than Appy this year.
I know, I almost feel sorry for them...almost. ;)

The Cats
October 12th, 2014, 11:07 PM
This is probably the worst App State team in the past 25-plus years.

You realize you'll cause App fans to have a heart attack hearing that?

The Cats
October 12th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Always love to see CrAppy State lose. Congrats Liberty.

Maybe the only thing we can agree on....

but it's here.... Appy loses, and the fans on Yosef's MMB are already jumping ship and calling for Scott to be fired.

JSUBison
October 12th, 2014, 11:25 PM

lol, Mr C really went out on a limb there with that one. The only comparison would be last years Satterfield coached team that went 4-8. You can't compare any of the other teams in that 25 year time period, because Coach Moore had winning seasons 23 of 24 years.

The Cats
October 12th, 2014, 11:28 PM

I just feel sorry for you that you're stuck in one of the worst FCS conferences, and you don't have a choice.

See, you're not looking at things right. We're not stuck anywhere.

We're right where we need to be, and where we want to be.

Congrats to GSU on their season, you're doing well, but as my grandmother used to tell folks...."don't forget where you come from" you don't have come on here to try an look down on your former conference mates and score points with your new friends. Like us, they don't care what you think, either.

You're having a good year, beating the worst FBS has to offer, but hey... it's something.

ASU and the two GSU's + the Sun Belt = a marriage made in the minds of their fans, so they could feel good about themselves. It's just not working out for ASU and one of the GSUs.

chattanoogamocs
October 12th, 2014, 11:58 PM
you don't have come on here to try an look down on your former conference mates and score points with your new friends.

They looked down on the conference for at least the last decade...so this is nothing new...it is just a little more comical now that they have moved up why anyone from GSU would even need to come on here. You got what you wanted...a ticket to he glorious Sun Belt...why would GSU and ASU fans need to be slumming on an FCS board?

Ironically, no one has really trash talked GSU on here...they have transitioned well, hats off to them...this thread was poking a stick at ASU...so I find it humorous that it is a GSU fan on here jabbering back and forth.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Irony...

SoCon loses ASU and GSU and picks up Mercer and VMI and yet the big ole FBS Sun Belt is only ranked a few spots higher than weak little SoCon in the Sagarin. All I know is the Sun Belt must be saying "thank God for the Mac-East" or they would be the worst FBS conference. Congrats to GSU...the team in a conference that regular sports at least 3 teams in the weekly ESPN Bottom 10.

18 SUN BELT (A) = 54.43 55.02 ( 18) 11 54.75 ( 18)
19 MAC-EAST (A) = 53.55 54.18 ( 19) 7 53.97 ( 19)
20 COLONIAL (AA)= 50.24 50.59 ( 21) 12 50.35 ( 21)
21 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 50.21 50.62 ( 20) 6 50.42 ( 20)
22 SOUTHERN (AA)= 50.05 49.43 ( 22) 8 49.89 ( 22)

AshevilleApp2
October 13th, 2014, 03:51 AM

Not likely.

AshevilleApp2
October 13th, 2014, 03:52 AM
They looked down on the conference for at least the last decade...so this is nothing new...it is just a little more comical now that they have moved up why anyone from GSU would even need to come on here. You got what you wanted...a ticket to he glorious Sun Belt...why would GSU and ASU fans need to be slumming on an FCS board?

Ironically, no one has really trash talked GSU on here...they have transitioned well, hats off to them...this thread was poking a stick at ASU...so I find it humorous that it is a GSU fan on here jabbering back and forth.

Have you checked out the Sun Belt board? You'd be here too.

Appaholic
October 13th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Congrats Liberty. Well-deserved win....and on our Homecoming no less. Our football program is a dumpster fire. Considering the manner in which App finished last season on the upswing, I was willing to write the 4-8 season off as growing pains for a 1st time head coach. However, the current path of regression highlights Satterfield's readiness (or lack thereof) to assume the responsibilities of a HC. Not all great coordinators are great HC's. I never understood why we were so locked in on Satterfield as HC. If we were so dead set on keeping the coach within the App family tree, Everett Withers would have been a better hire. He lead an ACC team (UNC) to a respectable season in the midst of turmoil (Butch Davis fiasco). He also served as Coordinator at UNC & Ohio State. He was hired as HC of JMU, yet I never heard his name even in the mix for ASU's job...

CID1990
October 13th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Congrats Liberty. Well-deserved win....and on our Homecoming no less. Our football program is a dumpster fire. Considering the manner in which App finished last season on the upswing, I was willing to write the 4-8 season off as growing pains for a 1st time head coach. However, the current path of regression highlights Satterfield's readiness (or lack thereof) to assume the responsibilities of a HC. Not all great coordinators are great HC's. I never understood why we were so locked in on Satterfield as HC. If we were so dead set on keeping the coach within the App family tree, Everett Withers would have been a better hire. He lead an ACC team (UNC) to a respectable season in the midst of turmoil (Butch Davis fiasco). He also served as Coordinator at UNC & Ohio State. He was hired as HC of JMU, yet I never heard his name even in the mix for ASU's job...

Youre a visitor here. Try to keep it to two sentences or less and save the war and peace for the "big boys" over at the sun bletch bbs

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Isn't Apphole the one that kept calling Satterfield "the chessmaster?"

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Isn't Apphole the one that kept calling Satterfield "the chessmaster?"

Being a good game day coach/playcaller and running a program are two different things. Satterfield seems to be a lot like Chris Hatcher, except Satterfield didn't inherit as much talent on the lines and doesn't have a Jayson Foster.

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Being a good game day coach/playcaller and running a program are two different things. Satterfield seems to be a lot like Chris Hatcher, except Satterfield didn't inherit as much talent on the lines and doesn't have a Jayson Foster.

That was my opinion when he was hired. He's clearly a good coach, but there are plenty of good coaches that fail tremendously as head coaches. Most, in fact.

I still think Hatcher could have been a good hire for Georgia Southern. I believe that hiring a coach to run the air raid with a roster built for the option and then demanding immediate success was a fool's errand.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Irony...

SoCon loses ASU and GSU and picks up Mercer and VMI and yet the big ole FBS Sun Belt is only ranked a few spots higher than weak little SoCon in the Sagarin. All I know is the Sun Belt must be saying "thank God for the Mac-East" or they would be the worst FBS conference. Congrats to GSU...the team in a conference that regular sports at least 3 teams in the weekly ESPN Bottom 10.

18 SUN BELT (A) = 54.43 55.02 ( 18) 11 54.75 ( 18)
19 MAC-EAST (A) = 53.55 54.18 ( 19) 7 53.97 ( 19)
20 COLONIAL (AA)= 50.24 50.59 ( 21) 12 50.35 ( 21)
21 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 50.21 50.62 ( 20) 6 50.42 ( 20)
22 SOUTHERN (AA)= 50.05 49.43 ( 22) 8 49.89 ( 22)

Irony...

People feel the need to poke fun App State and GSU's decision to move to FBS but get butthurt that anyone suggests we'd be better off in an a lower-FBS league than an FCS league that has put itself on a path to irrelevancy and actively discourages any good football or basketball programs from joining.

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Irony...

People feel the need to poke fun App State and GSU's decision to move to FBS but get butthurt that anyone suggests we'd be better off in an a lower-FBS league than an FCS league that has put itself on a path to irrelevancy and actively discourages any good football or basketball programs from joining.

Not to nitpick, but let's not pretend that GSU or App have "good" basketball programs.

People that continue to try to make this argument about logic continue to miss the boat. App and GSU wanted out. They didn't care where. We can ridicule the SunBelt all day long, but the reality is it is an FBS conference. That is what GSU/App wanted. App would rather be a laughing stock at the FBS level than a contender at the FCS level. That is what they asked for. They got it.

dbackjon
October 13th, 2014, 12:40 PM

They still have the other FBS wannabes in Georgia State and Idaho left on the Schedule. They will win one of those at least.

Liberty has more FBS wins than Georgia State (of course any FCS team with a FBS win can say the same thing)

dbackjon
October 13th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Have you checked out the Sun Belt board? You'd be here too.

Reading the CSNBBS Sun Belt board is a guilty pleasure of mine - delusions of grandeur, smug air of superiority from all three Georgia State fans, talks of making the CFB playoff, then the football season starts.

knucklehead
October 13th, 2014, 12:48 PM
They still have the other FBS wannabes in Georgia State and Idaho left on the Schedule. They will win one of those at least.

Liberty has more FBS wins than Georgia State (of course any FCS team with a FBS win can say the same thing)

More than 4 Sun Belt schools! haha

dbackjon
October 13th, 2014, 12:57 PM
App's remaining schedule:

@ 1-5 Troy
1-4 Georgia State
3-2 UL-Monroe
@ 4-2 Ark State
@2-3 UL-L
0-6 Idaho

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Not to nitpick, but let's not pretend that GSU or App have "good" basketball programs.

People that continue to try to make this argument about logic continue to miss the boat. App and GSU wanted out. They didn't care where. We can ridicule the SunBelt all day long, but the reality is it is an FBS conference. That is what GSU/App wanted. App would rather be a laughing stock at the FBS level than a contender at the FCS level. That is what they asked for. They got it.

I'm not saying we have good basketball programs by any means. People think of GSU and App with the discussion of the exit fee being raised but forget about CofC and Davidson. They talk about GSU and App fans griping about the direction of the SoCon, but don't seem to realize that Davidson and CofC fans basically did the same thing for a while, just not on this board. CofC fans were especially bad. They probably had more contempt for the SoCon and FCS football than any of the previous group of SoCon schools. They thought the league was putting too much emphasis on trying to be a strong FCS league and believed they weren't doing as well in the basketball RPI as they should because the league was holding them back even though they hardly won any championships and didn't do a whole lot out-of-conference.

But I digress. Like I have said before, I think there is definite potential for some of the SoCon football programs to benefit from not having GSU and App in the league for football. It's too early for finger pointing and laughing because App only has 1 win or because the SoCon is getting whipped by the Big South. In the end it may still work out for all of us.

Appaholic
October 13th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Youre a visitor here. Try to keep it to two sentences or less and save the war and peace for the "big boys" over at the sun bletch bbs

Sorry Cid, didn't mean to stump you & the other West Point wannabes with such big words as "regression" & "thereof"...I'll try to remember my potential audience next time and limit the conversation to "cat", "dog" & "ball" going forward...

CID1990
October 13th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Sorry Cid, didn't mean to stump you & the other West Point wannabes with such big words as "regression" & "thereof"...I'll try to remember my potential audience next time and limit the conversation to "cat", "dog" & "ball" going forward...

lol an ASU fan calling somebody a wannabe

Sun Blet bbs not very hospitable now after all the buildup eh?

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Irony...

Blah, blah, blah...no one over here is butthurt...we have no problem that you left, seriously, most are happy you're gone. But, after a decade of listening to you guys bitch and whine and run down your conference and conference mates, you better believe people are going to poke fun at the ****ty Sun Belt when they get the chance...and right now, ASU....and GaSt, and NMSU, and Idaho, and Troy...are making it very easy to poke fun. Fact is, the Sun Belt is just barely better than the downgraded conference you left behind, the only difference is, instead of being a $500 an hour prostitute in the eyes of the P5...you are now a $1,000 an hour one. ;)

Appaholic
October 13th, 2014, 02:30 PM
lol an ASU fan calling somebody a wannabe

I thought you'd enjoy that bit of irony....:D

BisonFan02
October 13th, 2014, 02:38 PM
MVFC > Sun Belt......and its really not even close.

AshevilleApp2
October 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM

I tend to agree. I'll also say enjoy your run while you can, nothing lasts forever.

BisonFan02
October 13th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I tend to agree. I'll also say enjoy your run while you can, nothing lasts forever.

Nope...the key is to keep the "down" years to a minimum and keep as much momentum as possible...the Bison have done a good job of that over the last 50 years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Blah, blah, blah...no one over here is butthurt...we have no problem that you left, seriously, most are happy you're gone. But, after a decade of listening to you guys bitch and whine and run down your conference and conference mates, you better believe people are going to poke fun at the ****ty Sun Belt when they get the chance...and right now, ASU....and GaSt, and NMSU, and Idaho, and Troy...are making it very easy to poke fun. Fact is, the Sun Belt is just barely better than the downgraded conference you left behind, the only difference is, instead of being a $500 an hour prostitute in the eyes of the P5...you are now a $1,000 an hour one. ;)

Barely better? Depends on which computer rankings you are looking at. Try these…behind the Big South, NEC, Ivies, and the Patriot League.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html

And I don't blame you for being glad GSU and App are gone. It'll certainly be easier for UTC to get the SoCon auto bid without us around.

knucklehead
October 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Well in simple terms, Liberty Lost to the trees and beat the mountaineers. So ya.

AshevilleApp2
October 13th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Reading the CSNBBS Sun Belt board is a guilty pleasure of mine - delusions of grandeur, smug air of superiority from all three Georgia State fans, talks of making the CFB playoff, then the football season starts.

Appa and dback on the same day! What year is this again?

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Barely better? Depends on which computer rankings you are looking at. Try these…behind the Big South, NEC, Ivies, and the Patriot League.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html

And I don't blame you for being glad GSU and App are gone. It'll certainly be easier for UTC to get the SoCon auto bid without us around.

Probably a good time to note that Furman/Samford/UTC won a conference title with GSU and App still in the conference. Even if they were eligible, neither of them would have finished first.

I think we all pretty well admitted that the SoCon is going through a transition period. You don't lose two quality football programs and just get along like you were.

Baldy
October 13th, 2014, 04:42 PM
See, you're not looking at things right. We're not stuck anywhere.

We're right where we need to be, and where we want to be.

Congrats to GSU on their season, you're doing well, but as my grandmother used to tell folks...."don't forget where you come from" you don't have come on here to try an look down on your former conference mates and score points with your new friends. Like us, they don't care what you think, either.

You're having a good year, beating the worst FBS has to offer, but hey... it's something.

ASU and the two GSU's + the Sun Belt = a marriage made in the minds of their fans, so they could feel good about themselves. It's just not working out for ASU and one of the GSUs. i
If the SoCon is where Western aspires to stay, outstanding, but even you have to admit that the conference has gotten considerably weaker over the last several years. The conference choosing to add Mercer and VMI only solidifies the fact they have no desire to get better.

As I said in a previous post, I'm still a big fan of FCS, so don't even try to go there. I keep up with our ex-conference mates and I'm glad to see Western doing well in spite of your snottiness.

Baldy
October 13th, 2014, 05:02 PM

...and this GSU fan has said again and again that he is a fan of FCS football etc. etc. etc.
I'm not and have never trashed any of the programs OR FCS, so slow your roll, chief...

My only beef was with the SoCon, and I was just willing to let bygones be bygones, but when the SoCon announcers covering the conference baseball championship were openly cheering against us in the championship game, it made winning the championship that much sweeter.

Oh, and over the years you have never...ever "slammed" the conference for some of the horrendous decisions its made over the last 15-20 years, have you? xrolleyesx

Baldy
October 13th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Actually, as bad as it is this year, the Sun Belt > any FCS conference.

I was also under the assumption that top tier FCS conferences were pretty much on par with low lever FBS conferences. Nothing could be further from the truth. While on field play is marginally on par with the elites, as far as exposure, organization, money, etc. the differences are night and day.
When a top tier (at that time) Southern Conference has its media day in an Embassy Suites in Spartanburg making the coaches sit at lunchroom tables with 30 to 40 local media present, the "****ty" Sun Belt holds it's media day at the Super Dome broadcasted on ESPN3 with 150+ local and national media in attendance.

I also assumed wrong when it came to recruiting. I thought elite level FCS could recruit with the better teams in the lower level FBS conferences. i can only speak for GSU, but we were one of the best recruiting powers in FCS. The quality of recruits who are visiting campus now destroys what we were doing. Recruit ranking are what they are, however, for App we had a 5 star recruit visit, and we have had several 4 stars visit so far. Will the 5 star commit to GSU, no and if any of the 4 star recruits commit it would be a major coup, BUT we are on their radar...now.

I could go on about the media coverage, TV deals (its wonderful to be able to get all our games now), replay, etc., but you get the idea. I love me some FCS football and there is quite a bit that I miss, but for GSU FBS is a much better fit.

dbackjon
October 13th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Appa and dback on the same day! What year is this again?

2010, why?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2014, 06:33 PM

I was also under the assumption that top tier FCS conferences were pretty much on par with low lever FBS conferences. Nothing could be further from the truth. While on field play is marginally on par with the elites, as far as exposure, organization, money, etc. the differences are night and day.
When a top tier (at that time) Southern Conference has its media day in an Embassy Suites in Spartanburg making the coaches sit at lunchroom tables with 30 to 40 local media present, the "****ty" Sun Belt holds it's media day at the Super Dome broadcasted on ESPN3 with 150+ local and national media in attendance.

I also assumed wrong when it came to recruiting. I thought elite level FCS could recruit with the better teams in the lower level FBS conferences. i can only speak for GSU, but we were one of the best recruiting powers in FCS. The quality of recruits who are visiting campus now destroys what we were doing. Recruit ranking are what they are, however, for App we had a 5 star recruit visit, and we have had several 4 stars visit so far. Will the 5 star commit to GSU, no and if any of the 4 star recruits commit it would be a major coup, BUT we are on their radar...now.

I could go on about the media coverage, TV deals (its wonderful to be able to get all our games now), replay, etc., but you get the idea. I love me some FCS football and there is quite a bit that I miss, but for GSU FBS is a much better fit.

It's not imo. As someone who follows FCS and "Other 5" football very closely, the MVFC is better than the Sun Belt this year. The SBC is truly horrific this year. The MAC in 2007 was atrocious too....

Bisonator
October 13th, 2014, 07:08 PM

Great what's all of that done to make GSU better off then they were 3 years ago? What's GSU's revenue and expenditures now? Has your enrollment increased? How about donor funding levels? I watched the ASU vs GSU game (to be honest it wasn't much different then an FCS game on an ESPN network, all the talk was about P5 games) but other then that I haven't heard a single thing about either on a national scale. Honestly I heard more about both when they were FCS schools. But hey I'm glad it's working out for you guys, that's all that matters.

citdog
October 13th, 2014, 08:51 PM

NOBODY GIVES A ****. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT BALDY Y'ALL HAVE YOUR OWN BOARD. YOU SECEDED REMEMBER? RUN ALONG AND MEASURE WHO IS THE TALLEST MIDGET ON THE SUN BELCH BOARD.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 14th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Probably a good time to note that Furman/Samford/UTC won a conference title with GSU and App still in the conference. Even if they were eligible, neither of them would have finished first.

I think we all pretty well admitted that the SoCon is going through a transition period. You don't lose two quality football programs and just get along like you were.

I agree with this. With Furman apparently getting snake-bit with injuries at key places and Wofford (and I'd argue el Cid too) not up to what they are capable you can't say the conference is at its mean.

Similarly in the Sun Belt App State, Troy, and UL are obviously down and Idaho will probably only be in the league a few years so the SBC below it's mean as well. Absolutely no doubt in my mind the conference is on even ground with both the MAC and CUSA.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2014, 09:18 AM
I agree with this. With Furman apparently getting snake-bit with injuries at key places and Wofford (and I'd argue el Cid too) not up to what they are capable you can't say the conference is at its mean.

Similarly in the Sun Belt App State, Troy, and UL are obviously down and Idaho will probably only be in the league a few years so the SBC below it's mean as well. Absolutely no doubt in my mind the conference is on even ground with both the MAC and CUSA.

Snake bit is generous. We've played 6 different quarterbacks since the start of 2013. That's voodoo type stuff.

Baldy
October 14th, 2014, 12:36 PM
It's not imo. As someone who follows FCS and "Other 5" football very closely, the MVFC is better than the Sun Belt this year. The SBC is truly horrific this year. The MAC in 2007 was atrocious too....
If you read my post again, I wasn't referring to on field play.

Aside from Arkansas State and Georgia Southern (with spotty play from USA, TX State and ULL) the Sun Belt has been atrocious this year, no doubt.

Baldy
October 14th, 2014, 12:56 PM
NOBODY GIVES A ****. WITH ALL DUE RESPECT BALDY Y'ALL HAVE YOUR OWN BOARD. YOU SECEDED REMEMBER? RUN ALONG AND MEASURE WHO IS THE TALLEST MIDGET ON THE SUN BELCH BOARD.
Ummm...one of your members brought it up...in an FCS thread...on an FCS board. xeyebrowx