PDA

View Full Version : Bucknell @ Lehigh

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Bucknell moved the ball but was forced to punt around midfield. Lehigh marches right down the field for a TD!

7-0 Lehigh 7:51 1Q

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2014, 11:55 AM
With the rain, no way 7,000 here. P4L's attendance is probably more accurate.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Bucknell makes it easy on their second possession! TD Bison....

7-7 4:15 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 12:10 PM
And Lehigh's D gives up another big play. BU with a 75 yard TD pass....

14-7 Bison, 0:08 1Q...

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Bad read by Shaf had open WR outside. LU D still sucks

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 12:29 PM
And the defense does little to help the cause, TD Bison. This is truly horrific....

21-7 BU 7:34 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Holy hell, that was terrible. Lehigh fakes a punt at their own 30 and it's picked off. This was after a terrible offensive possession. BU with another short field....

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 12:35 PM
From bad to worse..

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 12:43 PM
From bad to worse..

And there's still the second half....

This might be HC 2007 all over again. That one ended up 59-10 in favor of the Crusaders...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2014, 12:46 PM
This half has been hideous.

crusader11
October 11th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Lehigh is a bad bad bad football team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 12:48 PM
At least Temple is winning at half. The Owls are 30 minutes away from 4-1...

Lehigh's offense had been very good before today. Everything is a dumpster fire this afternoon....

Engineer86
October 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Whoever is responsible for Lehighs recruiting needs to be fired. This team is slow and small and plays with no heart.

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Goalline stand very good, So what? Does not save a very bad half of football. 24-7

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 12:51 PM
LU defense shows some fight and makes a stand at the goal line to hold BU to a FG...

24-7 Bison at Half...The offense is more of a problem than the D today.....

crusader11
October 11th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Whoever is responsible for Lehighs recruiting needs to be fired.

Andy Coen?

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I see no fire for LU except on that stand. This team was not ready to play with any effort. Embarrassing. And think of all the recruits watching today.

Engineer86
October 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM
This is not an issue of the game. This program has clearly done a terrible job of recruiting. Attendance is about 1,500. No students at all

Pards Rule
October 11th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Wow - BU is for real

blackbeard
October 11th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Told you Bucknell +2 was free money this week

Pards Rule
October 11th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Told you Bucknell +2 was free money this week

Damn BB I have to follow your picks!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 12:59 PM
This is not an issue of the game. This program has clearly done a terrible job of recruiting. Attendance is about 1,500. No students at all

I don't think it's all talent at this point. Injuries and perhaps lack of depth is a problem. The "talent" issue is on the defensive side of the ball and that's more related to size imo. The lack of continuity within the coaching staff might have something to do with it. The Sr's have basically had 4 defensive coordinators during their Lehigh careers. This team is similar to those 07-'08 squads where there's talent and ability to compete but the margin of error is so thin you end up losing far more than you win....

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Not one deep ball against that secondary?

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Probably so owl but how is this teamnot ready to play today. 2 weeks and we have a slightly better D that still gives up big plays. And we are facing a BU without their QB or RB,

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Probably so owl but how is this teamnot ready to play today. 2 weeks and we have a slightly better D that still gives up big plays. And we are facing a BU without their QB or RB,

That I can't explain but being ready to play is no really related to "talent" imo. Lehigh was out not out "talented" per se by JMU, Yale or Monmouth. Bucknell is solid but they haven't really dominated anyone....

crusader11
October 11th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Oh my.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Bucknell scores on 80 yard WR screen on the first play of the second half....wow...

31-7 BU 14:42 3Q....

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Its not talent at all. Size an issue on DL. Desire is the issue. Team flat. Shaf facing very good Shaf not making consistent reads.
D is better but still big plays killing us.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup big plays,smh. A very long year.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 11th, 2014, 01:20 PM
It was a simple case of the sealing guy not making the tackle and then getting no secondary help. It was just horrible everything, postioning, coaching, everything. It happens every week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Not a good day for the league again...

Princeton 23 Colgate 7 - to be fair, PU is very talented....

Brown 14 HC 7 - HC really needs this one, Brown is middling at best...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Shaf picked a bad day to have his worst game. That was text book on everything not to do....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:26 PM
McHale is away due to a death in the family so Shaf's backup is a FR. To be fair, Shaf was hurt against Monmouth....

Engineer86
October 11th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Ian not going back in. I blame size on D on recruiting philosophy, likely speed over size, yet no speed. We need a change

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Lehigh had first and goal at the BU 3 and settle for a FG after an false start on a QB sneak that resulted in a TD....

31-10 BU about 5:00 3Q...

kdinva
October 11th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Keydets gave Bucknell a much better game (should have defeated the Bison).

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Colgate is fighting back against Princeton, 23-21 PU Half....

crusader11
October 11th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Lehigh had first and goal at the BU 3 and settle for a FG after an false start on a QB sneak that resulted in a TD....

31-10 BU about 5:00 3Q...

Just out of curiosity, why do you use an ellipsis when concluding any statement or sentence?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you use an ellipsis when concluding any statement or sentence?

Habit dating back to the old AOL instant messenger. Just open ended because you know the convo will carry on.....

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Cant score fromthe 3,sums up LU offense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Cant score fromthe 3,sums up LU offense.

Lehigh outplayed BU that quarter but lost it 7-3....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 01:51 PM
TD Lehigh!! This game should be about 31-24 right now....

31-17 BU 14:09 4Q

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 01:55 PM
A woulda coulda shoulda game. We did outplay BU in 3rd,scored 3 pts. Nice drive for TD. So we may make it a respectable looking score

PAllen
October 11th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Size has nothing to do with this defense's problems. Yes, they're getting pushed around a bit, but it doesn't matter how big you are if you can't make a tackle. First and second guys are missing their tackles on almost every play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 02:00 PM
BU got one first down too many on that drive.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 02:04 PM
TD Lehigh! Right down the field!

31-24 Bison 6:49 4Q

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 02:04 PM
LU alive tothe 9

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Nice TD for Shaf

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Bleeping atrocious!! First play from Bucknell and another 70+ yard TD pass...complete joke....

38-21 Bison 5:46 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 02:10 PM
#18 for Bucknell will be offensive player of the week....246 yards and 3 TD's....

Lehigh'98
October 11th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Worst team ever at LU

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM
This is the second time Coen has started 0-5 at Lehigh. That's a very odd stat for a coach who's overall record is well over .500. He has to get this turned around.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Thankfully Temple beat Tulsa 35-24 to go to 4-1.

Princeton 30 Colgate 28 6:28 3Q

Brown 27 Holy Cross 24 F/2OT

Fordham 43 Penn 22 7:49 3Q

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Flashes of good on both O and D.Surrounded by so many WTF plays. Emabarassing game for LU no matter that BU is good we played atrociously

- - - Updated - - -

Little doubt that none of D coaches will be back next year

Engineer86
October 11th, 2014, 02:29 PM
This is the second time Coen has started 0-5 at Lehigh. That's a very odd stat for a coach who's overall record is well over .500. He has to get this turned around.....

No he needs to go!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 11th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Flashes of good on both O and D.Surrounded by so many WTF plays. Emabarassing game for LU no matter that BU is good we played atrociously

- - - Updated - - -

Little doubt that none of D coaches will be back next year

The DL played their best game of the year. Newton and Campbell were all over the field. The secondary was absolutely pathetic. The LU guy on the broadcast was basically calling out the coaches for simply failing to properly align the D....

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Post game interview, Andy called the loss a major embarassment. Gee,who coulda guessed that,smh. It's on staff. This team was not ready to play and it showed. D showed some starch but still gives up big plays. We had a nice run but this team,albeit with talent, just does not know how to win.

BucBisonAtLarge
October 11th, 2014, 03:30 PM
That was a much tighter game than the score belies. The reserve backfield for the Bison looked great. Lauletta's passing seemed to have some more zip than Nitti. The Bison have a bye week to heal up for the 2nd half of the season.

RichH2
October 11th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Congrats to Bucknell for a dominant win.

Pard4Life
October 11th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Now if this were LC, the DC would be given a three year extension.

Just think: had Rob Curley not thrown an INT in 2009, Andy Coen would have been gone five years ago.

ngineer
October 11th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Worst team ever at LU

Hyperbole. You weren't around in the mid-late 1960's.

Bogus Megapardus
October 11th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Piling on here would be both unsportsmanlike and ungentlemanly. So please allow me take this opportunity to do so. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/images/smilies/razz.gif

ngineer
October 11th, 2014, 09:42 PM
With all the coaching changes on D and lack of size up front, horrendous tackling, Coen needs to determine whether the new hires and promotions are up to the job. The results say no. This also calls attention to the problem with lack of depth all PL will face when significant number of injuries occur. Our D coaches were D3 assistants last year, and it appears they may not be up to this level. No adjustments seem to be being made. Offense has had some problems but is adequate enough to win 3-4 games this year with even a mediocre defense. Pathetic

ngineer
October 11th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Piling on here would be both unsportsmanlike and ungentlemanly. So please allow me take this opportunity to do so. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/images/smilies/razz.gif

Enjoy it Bogie. November 22 is all we have anymore. We MAY finally learn how to play by then.

Southsider
October 12th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Now if this were LC, the DC would be given a three year extension.

Just think: had Rob Curley not thrown an INT in 2009, Andy Coen would have been gone five years ago.

Probably right P4L. I, for one, feel it's time for a clean sweep of the staff. I want a guy with fire in the belly. Coen just doesn't have it. I don't think I have ever seen him on the sidelines get in anybody's face. This slide started a few years ago, really. LU was beating mediocre teams by small margins. You begin to think you just need to show up for the W. John Whitehead would never put up with this nonsense.

LehighU11
October 12th, 2014, 07:56 AM
That first half was an absolute train wreck on par with the embarrassment against HC in 2007. Second half wasn't much better. #18 lit them up last year and did the same yesterday. How do you not put double coverage on him by the 4th quarter?

Did anyone else notice there were only 10 players on the field when LU punted after going 3-and-out to start the 2nd half? There would have been only 9, if not for a last second addition. This is a poorly coached group of players without the desire and will to win that we've seen the past few years. You have to wonder if Coen would have survived his fourth season without wins against LC in 2008 and 2009. Next week may be the best chance for a win the rest of the way.

CHIP72
October 12th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Based on just following the score when I was at the Temple/Tulsa game (entertaining game BTW), I think I'm glad I couldn't watch Lehigh/Bucknell.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 12th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Based on just following the score when I was at the Temple/Tulsa game (entertaining game BTW), I think I'm glad I couldn't watch Lehigh/Bucknell.

Temple is legit! I can't wait to for November 15th when we beat Penn State in Happy Valley! I'll be there!!

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Enjoy it Bogie. November 22 is all we have anymore. We MAY finally learn how to play by then.

THIS game is usually an anomaly to the rest of the year. Wow, closing in on 5000 posts!!

CHIP72
October 12th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Temple is legit! I can't wait to for November 15th when we beat Penn State in Happy Valley! I'll be there!!

I'm really starting to debate whether I should alter my plans for 11/15 and attend Temple/Penn State in State College. My plans that day currently are to attend a two-sport, three-game tripleheader in Philadelphia: Harvard/Penn football at 1 PM, Delaware State/Penn basketball at 4:30 PM, and Albany/Villanova football at 7 PM. That's the only date this year both Penn and Villanova (or one of them and Temple) are both at home but playing in different time slots such that one can attend both games. (The fact the Penn basketball game works time-wise is a bonus.) I've already bought my Amtrak tickets, so I'm set to go. However, I'm increasingly thinking the Owls could knock off the Nittany Lions this year and I definitely wouldn't want to miss THAT. Additionally, a friend of mine who is a Penn State alumnus and season ticket holder has an extra ticket for that game. On the other hand, I don't want to miss seeing Penn or Villanova play in person for the second year in a row. (Last year a friend/former girlfriend died unexpectedly on September 30th and I was focused a lot more on non-sports things for a couple months after her death, so I passed on attending some football games I originally planned to attend, namely Louisville/Temple, Villanova/Towson, and Princeton/Penn; I also passed on the Temple/Penn basketball game that was held right after the Princeton/Penn football game.) Decisions, decisions.

Fordham
October 12th, 2014, 10:03 AM
So where does Cecchini fit into all of this? Did he see it coming and desert what he knew would be a sinking ship? Valpo seemed like an odd choice for someone so highly thought of imo. If he were still at LU, would things be different? If my memory is correct, Coen was close to being gone and then they won that rivalry game to end the season which allowed him to stick around and then he brought Cecchini back and they went on their run in the next few years. Is that accurate? If so, Coen's success seems like it may be more so due to Cecchini than the other way around.

It's only been one year at Valpo. Any chance C gets a look if Coen's gone this year?

Neighbor2
October 12th, 2014, 12:03 PM
What I saw yesterday was frightful. Been watching Lehigh football for 50 years. The level of preparedness shown yesterday was the worst I've seen in MANY years. It's doubtful that sad display could be fixed by any one coach. As so many have stated, the team is absolutely too small and easy to be manhandled. Even more troubling, is the players seem confused, not proactive in any way. The pass coverage defenders were befuddled, I guess, getting beat by 5 yards, and more. Cornell SHOULD be able to give Lehigh a difficult time. I mean, how much can change in one week?

I'd have no problem letting Coen go after this season. Too much is dysfunctional under his watch.

Either way, Lafayette doesn't look so hot either. Two weak teams can still put on a nice show in New York, can't they?

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2014, 12:26 PM
What I saw yesterday was frightful. Been watching Lehigh football for 50 years. The level of preparedness shown yesterday was the worst I've seen in MANY years. It's doubtful that sad display could be fixed by any one coach. As so many have stated, the team is absolutely too small and easy to be manhandled. Even more troubling, is the players seem confused, not proactive in any way. The pass coverage defenders were befuddled, I guess, getting beat by 5 yards, and more. Cornell SHOULD be able to give Lehigh a difficult time. I mean, how much can change in one week?

I'd have no problem letting Coen go after this season. Too much is dysfunctional under his watch.

Either way, Lafayette doesn't look so hot either. Two weak teams can still put on a nice show in New York, can't they?

Of course OR it could end in a tie like # 100!! Even with the implementation of OT! Can you imagine, 0-0!

Bogus Megapardus
October 12th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Can you imagine, 0-0!

http://youtu.be/2V3CfD8TPac

RichH2
October 12th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Of course OR it could end in a tie like # 100!! Even with the implementation of OT! Can you imagine, 0-0!

In the sidelines for 100. A frustrating game for both. Each had multiple shots. Both shot themselves in the foot. As weak as LU team was back then,D still coordinated better than the bunch this year.
Much more likely to be a shootout

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2014, 01:55 PM
http://youtu.be/2V3CfD8TPac

I still use that quote!

Pards Rule
October 12th, 2014, 01:57 PM
In the sidelines for 100. A frustrating game for both. Each had multiple shots. Both shot themselves in the foot. As weak as LU team was back then,D still coordinated better than the bunch this year.
Much more likely to be a shootout

Like 1988? Hell, I couldn't go to the bathroom that game for fear of missing a TD!

Engineer86
October 12th, 2014, 04:07 PM

No, have you seen our defense? xrotatehxxrolleyesxxrotatehxxconfusedxxdrunkyxxdru nkyxxdrunkyx

centraljerseycat
October 12th, 2014, 04:24 PM
As an outsider who has great respect for the Patriot League, I could see Lehigh and Bucknell both having new coaches next year. Coen will be out because the program needs a serious reboot and Susan will be return to Delaware to reinvigorate Blue Hen nation.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 12th, 2014, 04:46 PM
As an outsider who has great respect for the Patriot League, I could see Lehigh and Bucknell both having new coaches next year. Coen will be out because the program needs a serious reboot and Susan will be return to Delaware to reinvigorate Blue Hen nation.

The program just concluded one of the best 4 year runs record wise in PL history. I have a better shot of succeeding Dunphy at Temple than Coen does of getting fired after this year. If Lehigh beats Lafayette, which is possible given the Leopards own problems, then most everything will be forgotten. With that said, if the dumpster fire picks up steam the pressure will be on him next year......

Engineer86
October 12th, 2014, 05:32 PM
The program just concluded one of the best 4 year runs record wise in PL history. I have a better shot of succeeding Dunphy at Temple than Coen does of getting fired after this year. If Lehigh beats Lafayette, which is possible given the Leopards own problems, then most everything will be forgotten. With that said, if the dumpster fire picks up steam the pressure will be on him next year......

So we have another year of this to look forward to.... Great xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

LehighU11
October 12th, 2014, 05:45 PM
So we have another year of this to look forward to.... Great xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx
Those were my sentiments shortly after the win in the 145th in 2009...Another year of this nonsense. xnonono2x

Lehigh'98
October 12th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Coen botched the offseason coaching moves. Feared this would happen.

RichH2
October 12th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Coen botched the offseason coaching moves. Feared this would happen.
Perhaps not on offense but haven't seen much to warrant keeping D coaches.

bison137
October 12th, 2014, 06:19 PM

I think the chance of Susan leaving Bucknell next year is slim. First, he is about 60 years-old. Second, his overall record at Bucknell is 21-29. Regardless of what he inherited when he took the job, I doubt either of those fact will excite the Delaware fan base. Plus I think he's quite happy at Bucknell.

I also think it's extremely unlikely that LU will fire a coach who has been as successful as Coen based on one bad year.

Lehigh'98
October 12th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Perhaps not on offense but haven't seen much to warrant keeping D coaches.

The offense is ok, minus Yale game they have not made plays when needed though. There's a difference between moving the ball from 20 to 20 and getting crunch time scores. Lehigh has not made big time plays when needed most. You could argue offense cost them Monmouth game.

CHIP72
October 12th, 2014, 07:04 PM
The offense is ok, minus Yale game they have not made plays when needed though. There's a difference between moving the ball from 20 to 20 and getting crunch time scores. Lehigh has not made big time plays when needed most. You could argue offense cost them Monmouth game.

Yeah, but you could argue that Lehigh's defense has cost them every game.

Engineer86
October 12th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Those were my sentiments shortly after the win in the 145th in 2009...Another year of this nonsense. xnonono2x

In 2009, they gave up 234 all year. This year they have given up 203 in five games. Beyond that watching this team is completely different than this team. There was a reason to feel good about the future. The trends of this team relative to our to others were positive. Looking at where other teams are trending now compared to us is not good.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 12th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Yeah, but you could argue that Lehigh's defense has cost them every game.

Chip, we went through this last year with Temple hoops. The Owls bottomed out, losing 20 games for the first time in the program's history. Despite the constant losing the team fought to the end notching a great win over SMU and nearly beating Memphis. This year most outside observers have us over .500 and battling for a bid....

Lehigh's biggest issues are on defense. The personnel is not very good and the coaching has shown zero ability to mask it, even a little bit. The offense in general is good. There's obviously no AA type WR (Kurfis/Spadola) out there or a consistent runner like Sherman but the unit is moving the ball and putting up points. The offense also has to deal with a terrible kicking game. The injuries and Parrish not stepping, or anyone else, has hurt. When you consider that, the new OC has done a very respectable job.

Lafayette is on a razor thin wire of falling off the cliff too. If Sheuerman got hurt they would be a complete mess too....

ngineer
October 12th, 2014, 10:55 PM
So where does Cecchini fit into all of this? Did he see it coming and desert what he knew would be a sinking ship? Valpo seemed like an odd choice for someone so highly thought of imo. If he were still at LU, would things be different? If my memory is correct, Coen was close to being gone and then they won that rivalry game to end the season which allowed him to stick around and then he brought Cecchini back and they went on their run in the next few years. Is that accurate? If so, Coen's success seems like it may be more so due to Cecchini than the other way around.

It's only been one year at Valpo. Any chance C gets a look if Coen's gone this year?

Cecchini had nothing to do with the defense which is stinking up the joint. With a mediocre defense, we'd be 4-1.

ngineer
October 12th, 2014, 11:07 PM

Schools like Lehigh and Lafayette do not fire coaches for one bad season. Heck, Tavani had several losing seasons and it has never phased the Maroons. Coen's record over the past 8 years is one of the best in LU history. This is not the SEC, PAC 12 or even the CAA or MVC. Only a handful of alums give a hoot about how well the football team is doing, and the students don't care about athletics, either. The Administration is concerned about 1) running a clean program, 2) running a program that mirrors the student body academically, 3) being competitive most of the time, and 4) beating Lafayette. A few die hards and fanatics think that because we are able to have some significant sucesses over the past 15 years that we should be "going to the next level". We don't have the resources, nor donors to make that happen. Every program suffers 'off years', and this one appears to be a confluence of bad news (serious injuries), bad decisions (hiring defensive assts. who are not ready for FCS prime time, and a few bad decisions on the field that cost some games.

- - - Updated - - -

Schools like Lehigh and Lafayette do not fire coaches for one bad season. Heck, Tavani had several losing seasons and it has never phased the Maroons. Coen's record over the past 8 years is one of the best in LU history. This is not the SEC, PAC 12 or even the CAA or MVC. Only a handful of alums give a hoot about how well the football team is doing, and the students don't care about athletics, either. The Administration is concerned about 1) running a clean program, 2) running a program that mirrors the student body academically, 3) being competitive most of the time, and 4) beating Lafayette. A few die hards and fanatics think that because we are able to have some significant sucesses over the past 15 years that we should be "going to the next level". We don't have the resources, nor donors to make that happen. Every program suffers 'off years', and this one appears to be a confluence of bad news (serious injuries), bad decisions (hiring defensive assts. who are not ready for FCS prime time, and a few bad decisions on the field that cost some games.

Pards Rule
October 13th, 2014, 06:39 AM

- - - Updated - - -

You have it covered as usual. Amazing but I recall reading an interview with Bill Russo in the Easton Express (before it absorbed the Bethlehem Globe-Times) before his first game as Lafayette coach in 1981 that basically outlined in the four points you made what he hoped to accomplish in his tenure. He did specifically mention he wanted to beat Lehigh at least 50 percent of the time.

RichH2
October 13th, 2014, 07:50 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Very well said.
+1

PAllen
October 13th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Coen's here for at least another year or two. As many have said, one bad year in the PL isn't going to get you fired. He needs to clean house on defense again. The offense has done quite well considering the injuries and how badly the D is playing. I think many are underestimating how deflating it can be for an entire team to watch the opponent drive down the field on your defense time and time and time again. If the defense can get sorted out, and the injuries healed, the next few years should be good ones. All of that said, there is no excuse for how unprepared this team was after a bye week. You've got two weeks to prepare, and the players still don't know where they're supposed be?

Lehigh'98
October 13th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Back to back double digit season losses will have Coen on the hot seat. I honestly don't see this turning around next year. I really like Coach, have a long history with him as a player and alumni. Really hope he can turn it around. The damage they've done on Defense can only be turned around with recruiting. I Actually think Bott deserves another shot to show improvement. He walked into a giant mess from several years of poor recruiting.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2014, 10:48 AM
The combined record of Lehigh's first five opponents are 22-7, 17-7 if you throw out the games against the Mountain Hawks. Not that that's an excuse for losing, but it's not like Lehigh has been losing to bad programs.

Also worthy of mention is that Lehigh's opponents also went 1-2 against FBS competition. That's 16-5 against FCS schools, again not counting the Mountain Hawks.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2014, 10:54 AM
The combined record of Lehigh's first five opponents are 22-7, 17-7 if you throw out the games against the Mountain Hawks. Not that that's an excuse for losing, but it's not like Lehigh has been losing to bad programs.

Also worthy of mention is that Lehigh's opponents also went 1-2 against FBS competition. That's 16-5 against FCS schools, again not counting the Mountain Hawks.

If Lehigh had Robert Morris, Columbia or URI on their schedule they would not be 0-5. It's been the perfect storm of inexperience, injuries and good competition. They've also played some of the best offenses in FCS.....

PAllen
October 13th, 2014, 10:57 AM
If Lehigh had Robert Morris, Columbia or URI on their schedule they would not be 0-5. It's been the perfect storm of inexperience, injuries and good competition. They've also played some of the best offenses in FCS.....

But we wouldn't be 5-0 either. Even with injuries and inexperience, we should be significantly better than the Robert Morrises and Columbias of the world.

Doc QB
October 13th, 2014, 11:59 AM

I dont think this gets enough attention. I posted a similar thought on the Lehigh board. I think Dave did see something program wise and bailed, lest he remain and endure a terrible year and the other offers to lead programs vanish. Now I am biased, having played with Dave and remain friends with him. While our defense may be crippling this year, with Dave on the staff calling plays, we have a lot more ability to call the 'knock out punch" play on O that puts the game away. Didnt get it against JMU, settle for FG attempt, miss...lost. Didnt get those plays in Yale game to start second half...lost. Monmouth...driving, stall, settle for a FG attempt, miss....lost. I think our O has solid enough athletes to have the right play call make a difference and dictate the end of those games rather than be victim to a pourous defense giving up miles of yardage and TDs late.

You couple that with injuries and a poor defense with defensive coaches that are not ready for prime time, you get 0-5. Botts has been around many places and done well, it cant all be placed on him. When some of his assistants are not seasoned at all, a majority of LBs are SS sized, his secondary is out of position and gets burned be relatively vanilla play action passes, and he has no Dline size with any push or experience, you give up 600 a game. Even the Air Lehigh offenses of Hank Small and Harris/McGowan/Kempa/Semptimphelter couldnt keep pace with that each week. Thats why Small is an AD now....

Maybe bigger issue is why we cant get better defensive assistants? Do we pay poorly other than HC, OC, and DC? Maybe even bigger issue is we were due a season like this, brings one back to earth after some pretty fine seasons. I just expect more.

RichH2
October 13th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Most of our D assts over the years have been young guys on the way up. Most have been quite good. Andy comes from D III. May explain reach this year. They may become good coaches. Heck they may be now but it does seem they are out of their depth . Obligation is to teach and actually get thru to the players. Clear they have not done so yet. Got no solution,can only hope they all figure it out. No doubt that this has been the most daunting opening 5 we haved faced in my time. The 0-5 in 1966 was not nearly vs as good teams as we have faced this year. That fact doesn't lessen our problems but it sure puts them in perspective.

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2014, 12:54 PM

- - - Updated - -

Well said, ng, as usual!

Bill
October 13th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Doc

Don't forget Brunner :)

By the way (not trying to be argumentative), do you think it is the assistant coaches or the talent level?

One could make the argument that recruiting philosophy and restrictions of the old PL was the problem with the Lehigh defenses of old. Without scholarships (and the AI), those coaches regularly confessed that it was going to be harder to find talented, big, "nasty" (for lack of a better term) defensive players. I'm hoping the scholarships take care of that.

The Air Small stuff makes me smile as I reminisce. That coaching staff, circa 1989, was ridiculously talented. Some were still sharpening their skills (a la Steckel), but a few sure went on to bigger things!

RichH2
October 13th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Hank was a treat. What an O. Spent a lot of time with Kevin.back then in NJ hunting talent. It was a fun time,cept for D staff that got few of the slots :),
No Bill overall talent in frosh and soph classes markedly higher. We always got some every year with need grants,just not as many. Athletic ability tho subject all the same transition as all from HS to D 1 . Some do it quickly others take longer. Talent is not our problem. Lack of coordination and blowing assignments are major D issues. DL 's lack of size a problem but they have improved with Stubbs and a healthy Palma.

Doc QB
October 13th, 2014, 02:30 PM
The Air Small stuff makes me smile as I reminisce. That coaching staff, circa 1989, was ridiculously talented. Some were still sharpening their skills (a la Steckel), but a few sure went on to bigger things!

That was my time....I played beind Glenn and Scott but never broke the line up, with injuries, transfers; I still have the shoulder and knee recon and emotional scars. But that was a fun time, whether 9-2 and beating all the Yankee Conf teams or going out to Idaho and getting smoked in the Kibbie Dome by UMich OC Dan Nuessmier, who was their QB. Steckel was at my HS for my signing, still hear from him. Fred Mariani, too. Higgins and Clauson obviously did well, solid men.

Now I get to make the scars...big ass ones, too.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Fred Mariani

Never met him, but all I've heard of him a nice guy. Wish Iona still had football.

Bill
October 13th, 2014, 02:49 PM
That was my time....I played beind Glenn and Scott but never broke the line up, with injuries, transfers; I still have the shoulder and knee recon and emotional scars. But that was a fun time, whether 9-2 and beating all the Yankee Conf teams or going out to Idaho and getting smoked in the Kibbie Dome by UMich OC Dan Nuessmier, who was their QB. Steckel was at my HS for my signing, still hear from him. Fred Mariani, too. Higgins and Clauson obviously did well, solid men.

Now I get to make the scars...big ass ones, too.

By the way, how about Pete Giunta? ex-NFL DC and currently with the Giants? I always remember that thick Boston accent every day..."Make the big play receivahh"

Bill
October 13th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Never met him, but all I've heard of him a nice guy. Wish Iona still had football.

LFN

As per your avatar, I found a way to work Iona into this conversation with Fred!xthumbsupx

Engineer86
October 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Back to back double digit season losses will have Coen on the hot seat. I honestly don't see this turning around next year. I really like Coach, have a long history with him as a player and alumni. Really hope he can turn it around. The damage they've done on Defense can only be turned around with recruiting. I Actually think Bott deserves another shot to show improvement. He walked into a giant mess from several years of poor recruiting.

That is why I raise the concern about who is responsible for recruiting. The problem I see is once you drop that far, it has to be very tough to recruit talented kids. The new varsity house should help. A new high tech scoreboard would help. But if we could not recruit well when we were winning how will we do now. Someone should call Bucknell for advice, they have done quite well revitalizing the program.

Engineer86
October 13th, 2014, 06:49 PM

And also just got throttle by Bucknell's backup QB and RB.

I hope I am wrong, but this team just is not bringing the same intensity as teams of the past and looking back at the close wins over weak teams the past few years, that can be said about the last two and a half years.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2014, 06:51 PM
That is why I raise the concern about who is responsible for recruiting. The problem I see is once you drop that far, it has to be very tough to recruit talented kids. The new varsity house should help. A new high tech scoreboard would help. But if we could not recruit well when we were winning how will we do now. Someone should call Bucknell for advice, they have done quite well revitalizing the program.

Coen brought in Spadola, Lum, Barket. Chagani, Groome, Boyko, Kurfis, Drawl etc. during the worst stretch of Lehigh football in 50 years. This was also after an offense that was as bad as this year's D. Remember Yale 7-0? This program/team won't be down for long. Just like Temple hoops....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2014, 06:54 PM
And also just got throttle by Bucknell's backup QB and RB.

I hope I am wrong, but this team just is not bringing the same intensity as teams of the past and looking back at the close wins over weak teams the past few years, that can be said about the last two and a half years.

What close wins over weak teams? There were a few nail biters but I don't remember them coming against poor teams. I guess the CCSU game last year? But that was the first game. Plus, when you're a ranked team and an established winner you take every teams best shot each week. The ability to rise up and win week after week regardless of opponent is extremely difficult....

RichH2
October 13th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Andy is an excellent closer . He built that team that went 39-9 . Unrealistic to expect fros and soph ,even with schollies,to step up immediately. Take a closer look at 2 deep. Schollie kids well represented. Lack of talent is not the problem. Meshing new coaches and so many new players has not gone ell or quickly. If you want to knock Andy , go to his choices of D assts.

Engineer86
October 13th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Andy is an excellent closer . He built that team that went 39-9 . Unrealistic to expect fros and soph ,even with schollies,to step up immediately. Take a closer look at 2 deep. Schollie kids well represented. Lack of talent is not the problem. Meshing new coaches and so many new players has not gone ell or quickly. If you want to knock Andy , go to his choices of D assts.

Other PL teams are in the same recruiting boat as we are and none PL teams we should be gaining an advantage with more depth. It seems that you are saying either our juniors and seniors were weak recruiting classes, maybe playoff success (for LU standards) hurt or the coaching disruption and performance has made that big of a difference. I hope your are correct as this could be corrected. As I said before, this team seems to be missing something. The Monmouth game was the one that stands out to me and coming out flat off a Bye week after an 0-4 start reinforces that to me.

RichH2
October 13th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Agree it is missing grit. Not to knock senior class but there seems to a disconnect with them and frosh and soph classes. Seniors know what it takes and how it has to be done. For whatever reason they haven't been able to get thru to them.

Bill
October 13th, 2014, 11:10 PM
The new varsity house should help. A new high tech scoreboard would help.

Huh?OK, just saw it on the web...and da** it, they're going to butcher it again. The last expansion was half-a$$ed, as is this one. A school with Lehigh's endowment and tradition needs a significantly bigger S&C area than the one they have now...there are DIII schools with larger facilities.

Sorry for the rant...it just irks me when they can't get it right the first time.

Southsider
October 14th, 2014, 06:28 AM
What close wins over weak teams? There were a few nail biters but I don't remember them coming against poor teams. I guess the CCSU game last year? But that was the first game. Plus, when you're a ranked team and an established winner you take every teams best shot each week. The ability to rise up and win week after week regardless of opponent is extremely difficult....

Owl, I have always admired your enthusiasm, and loyalty to the program, but remember the 10-1 team that didn't make the playoffs? LU was winning, but by narrow margins, against pretty so-so competition. I don't know the combined records, but I would guess they were pretty poor.

DatDude
October 14th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Huh?OK, just saw it on the web...and da** it, they're going to butcher it again. The last expansion was half-a$$ed, as is this one. A school with Lehigh's endowment and tradition needs a significantly bigger S&C area than the one they have now...there are DIII schools with larger facilities.

Sorry for the rant...it just irks me when they can't get it right the first time.When is this suppose to be complete????

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Owl, I have always admired your enthusiasm, and loyalty to the program, but remember the 10-1 team that didn't make the playoffs? LU was winning, but by narrow margins, against pretty so-so competition. I don't know the combined records, but I would guess they were pretty poor.

There's a difference between squeaking by poor teams and taking decent teams best shots. In 2011, the games Lehigh survived against poor competition were HC (who always finds a way to lose) and Georgetown when Lehigh had 7 turnovers and still won. Every other game was either easily won or they scraped by against respectable teams (.500 or better) , Liberty, Princeton or Fordham.

PAllen
October 14th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Agree it is missing grit. Not to knock senior class but there seems to a disconnect with them and frosh and soph classes. Seniors know what it takes and how it has to be done. For whatever reason they haven't been able to get thru to them.

I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) that this is a direct result of the Frosh & Soph classes feeling that they are "scholarship quality" while the seniors are just leftovers from the non-scholly era who weren't good enough to get a scholly somewhere else. I have absolutely no basis for this thought, except for my understanding of human nature and a group dynamic when you suddenly introduce a privileged class at the bottom of the social structure.

RichH2
October 14th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) that this is a direct result of the Frosh & Soph classes feeling that they are "scholarship quality" while the seniors are just leftovers from the non-scholly era who weren't good enough to get a scholly somewhere else. I have absolutely no basis for this thought, except for my understanding of human nature and a group dynamic when you suddenly introduce a privileged class at the bottom of the social structure.
Prrhaps. If so, quite foolish of them. But then human nature often is. Up to staff then to bridge the gap.

Southsider
October 14th, 2014, 06:21 PM
There's a difference between squeaking by poor teams and taking decent teams best shots. In 2011, the games Lehigh survived against poor competition were HC (who always finds a way to lose) and Georgetown when Lehigh had 7 turnovers and still won. Every other game was either easily won or they scraped by against respectable teams (.500 or better) , Liberty, Princeton or Fordham.

There you go again spoiling a good debate with facts xawesomex. I tend to look at the PL through the eyes of the outsiders, who generally feel the league is 2nd tier. Honestly, the PL has a long way to go. Hopefully everyone is on the right track. (Even the Spotted Pussies).

Engineer86
October 14th, 2014, 06:59 PM

The year is question is 2012 when LU went 10-1 and did not make the playoffs. And absolutely I stand Blythe comment the squeaked by mediocre teams. How many of the teams that LU beat that year had a record better than 1 win over .500? None.

Monmouth 5-5 beat by 10 on a last play scramble by Monmouth that ended with a LU scoop and score
CCSU. 2-8 beat by 21 close at half
Princeton. 5-5 beat by 3
Liberty. 6-5 beat by 2 got dominated, stole the game and escaped a late 2pt conversion failure
Fordham 6-5 beat by 3
Columbia. 3-7 beat by 21 again close at the half
Georgetown. 5-6 beat by 3 you mentioned the fumbles (every team has 1? Of these lose games with bad teams)
Bucknell. 3-8 beat by 22
Colgate. 8-3 lost by 11
Lafayette. 5-6 beat by 17

so our only true double digit win over a team close to average came in the Lafayette rivalry game. Yes we squeaked by mediocre at beat teams. Who on that list was better than mediocre?

Engineer86
October 14th, 2014, 07:01 PM
There you go again spoiling a good debate with facts xawesomex. I tend to look at the PL through the eyes of the outsiders, who generally feel the league is 2nd tier. Honestly, the PL has a long way to go. Hopefully everyone is on the right track. (Even the Spotted Pussies).

Unfortunately there are real facts to check.

heath
October 14th, 2014, 07:08 PM
The year is question is 2012 when LU went 10-1 and did not make the playoffs. And absolutely I stand Blythe comment the squeaked by mediocre teams. How many of the teams that LU beat that year had a record better than 1 win over .500? None.

Monmouth 5-5 beat by 10 on a last play scramble by Monmouth that ended with a LU scoop and score
Princeton. 5-5 beat by 3
Liberty. 6-5 beat by 2 got dominated, stole the game and escaped a late 2pt conversion failure
Fordham 6-5 beat by 3
Georgetown. 5-6 beat by 3 you mentioned the fumbles (every team has 1? Of these lose games with bad teams)
Bucknell. 3-8 beat by 22
Colgate. 8-3 lost by 11

so our only true double digit win over a team close to average came in the Lafayette rivalry game. Yes we squeaked by mediocre at beat teams. Who on that list was better than mediocre?
Up 10 at the half, Lehigh should have beat Colgate and gone 11-0. That game still haunts many, as the 3rd ring in a row was lost. THAT team did deserve a spot in the playoffs. but screwed themselves.

RichH2
October 14th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Fact are very dangerous . Tend to shorten PL threads :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2014, 08:52 PM

Princeton. 5-5 beat by 3
Fordham 6-5 beat by 3
Bucknell. 3-8 beat by 22
Colgate. 8-3 lost by 11

I knew it was 2012...typo

So the football game is only 30 minutes? I find it interesting that you say the only "true double digit win" came against Lafayette. In that game Lehigh trailed 17-0 iirc. Once again, it's a 30 minute game. Lehigh did not get dominated by Liberty either. That was a back and forth game where Colvin and the defense made big plays. Liberty got a BS 2 pt conversion to make it a little more interesting than it was.

I still stand by statement that when you're on a great run you're going to take everyone's best shot. Sure some of those games were close at times but ultimately Lehigh prevailed...

People have such interesting memories. In 1998 Lehigh needed a last second FG to beat Columbia, a great comeback to beat St. Mary's and an OT scramble to down Princeton. Yet everyone remembers the season from Colgate on. Winning ain't easy....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Up 10 at the half, Lehigh should have beat Colgate and gone 11-0. That game still haunts many, as the 3rd ring in a row was lost. THAT team did deserve a spot in the playoffs. but screwed themselves.

They should have got in. To force a team with a proven track record to go undefeated is an absurd requirement imo. Lehigh needed to go 3 years without a league loss. I'm not sure those great HC teams did that. The law of averages gets you at some point....

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Who on that list was better than mediocre?

Liberty was a conference co-champion of the Big South that season, tying Coastal and Stony Brook but missing an at-large.

Princeton was better than their record might indicate, upsetting nationally-ranked Harvard before collapsing to finish the year.

And Lehigh didn't escape Liberty on a 2-point failure. In a move that our current DBs would be well-served to study, CB Bryan Andrews made a great jump on the ball to knock it away.

Lehigh also had 10 D-I wins and was robbed of an at-large spot by teams that only had 7 D-I wins, such as Sam Houston State and Wofford. Only Bucknell in 1997 had 10 D-I wins and didn't get an at-large spot, and that was back in the days of 16 teams.

BucBisonAtLarge
October 14th, 2014, 10:47 PM
At the two-year point in its scholarship phase-in Fordham went 1-10, beating only Columbia. Obviously there is some dynamic to master, integrating the scholarship and non-scholarship men. Lehigh has played a tough OOC schedule to this point. The Yale and JMU games were seesaw, last-possession-type games. It has to get better.

PAllen
October 15th, 2014, 10:58 AM
So Lehigh went 10-1, with wins over teams with a combined record of 40-55. Only two of those wins came against teams with winning records, and both of those were 6-5. Should Lehigh have gotten an invite? Yes. Did they play some pretty weak competition a whole lot closer than a truly good team would have, you bet.

BucBisonAtLarge
October 15th, 2014, 02:09 PM
So Lehigh went 10-1, with wins over teams with a combined record of 40-55. Only two of those wins came against teams with winning records, and both of those were 6-5. Should Lehigh have gotten an invite? Yes. Did they play some pretty weak competition a whole lot closer than a truly good team would have, you bet.

On Nolan, one of the 38 rankings used in Massey FCS composite, Lehigh has the 6th toughest schedule thus far in the FCS, based on a pure w/l ratio of D1 opponents. I am not making excuses but rather trying to condition this discussion. They picked a tough road, though Monmouth in the Big South is not Monmouth in the NEC. Bucknell's SOS is nothing like LU, but suffers a bit because both Sacred Heart and Bryant had D2 wins.

Hey, I suppose you could schedule West Chester. Delaware did it long enough...

http://warrennolan.com/football1aa/2014/sos

Lehigh'98
October 15th, 2014, 03:25 PM
You can try and sugarcoat things all you like with the tough schedule. Bucknell just came into our house, had drinks with our wives and made our kids call them daddy. This was after a bye week, an 0-4 start and a revenge factor. We were not prepared to play on offense, defense and special teams (10 men on field). There are fundamental football issues that don't seem to be getting addressed.

PAllen
October 16th, 2014, 01:00 AM
You can try and sugarcoat things all you like with the tough schedule. Bucknell just came into our house, had drinks with our wives and made our kids call them daddy. This was after a bye week, an 0-4 start and a revenge factor. We were not prepared to play on offense, defense and special teams (10 men on field). There are fundamental football issues that don't seem to be getting addressed.

And the guy who did it only had one eye and a prosthetic arm. Serious issues to be resolved on South Mountain. Now is when a head coach earns his money.

Southsider
October 16th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Andy's comments in todays Morning Call would suggest, to me anyway, that the leash may be pretty short going forward for anyone not meeting expectations. I hope so!

Libertine
October 16th, 2014, 07:48 AM
And Lehigh didn't escape Liberty on a 2-point failure. In a move that our current DBs would be well-served to study, CB Bryan Andrews made a great jump on the ball to knock it away.

That great jump on the ball happened to be through the intended receiver, but, you know...technicalities. Though in the official's defense, I can only assume he didn't call it because he had already had a long, disappointing night and just wanted to go home.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2014, 08:47 AM
That great jump on the ball happened to be through the intended receiver, but, you know...technicalities. Though in the official's defense, I can only assume he didn't call it because he had already had a long, disappointing night and just wanted to go home.

I think I speak for every Lehigh fan here that we'd take our defense doing that every play even with the flags.

RichH2
October 16th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Andy's comments in todays Morning Call would suggest, to me anyway, that the leash may be pretty short going forward for anyone not meeting expectations. I hope so!
Both Call an Express articles are pretty clear that he has exhausted his patience with mental errors and lack of pride. Might wish he did it sooner but glad he finally has. Hope ful that he has gotten thru to players and coaches.

Southsider
October 16th, 2014, 11:01 AM
On another note, any word on new LU Pres.? Last thing they need now is an anti athletics/football person!

PAllen
October 16th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I'm up for it! Football, Wrestling, Basketball, Lacrosse, and Baseball all get upgrades on day one. Who's with me?!

RichH2
October 16th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I'm up for it! Football, Wrestling, Basketball, Lacrosse, and Baseball all get upgrades on day one. Who's with me?!
:) A perfect fit. Need a groundswell to boost your candidacy.
Gotta admit I like our interim. Kinda hoping he gets the job. He's definitel on the pro sports side.

ngineer
October 16th, 2014, 01:03 PM
:) A perfect fit. Need a groundswell to boost your candidacy.
Gotta admit I like our interim. Kinda hoping he gets the job. He's definitel on the pro sports side.

The 'interim' is just that. Kevin has no designs on the job from what I've heard. I do agree that we need someone with experience in academia that recognizes the contributions a good athletic program can provide to the students, as well as keeping the alumni engaged. That's why I was sorry to see Gast leave. She went to USC and was on the track team and clearly appreciated the dynamic of athletics and academics going hand in hand.

Pards Rule
October 18th, 2014, 08:09 AM

John D. Simon apparently beat you to it. Named LU president - on 6ABC news just now.