PDA

View Full Version : Rutgers vs. Princeton in 2019

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Hey guys, Rutgers fan here. One thing I noticed in our future schedule in 2019 is that RU has an open date on 11/9/2019. What do you think about it being filled by Princeton for the 150th anniversary of the First College Football Game? Being in our inaugural B1G season I know Jim Delany the Big Ten Commissioner would highly endorse it and I feel this game should be played because of the history involved. Or perhaps even have a double header where Princeton plays an Ivy League rival such as Yale, Harvard or Penn and Rutgers plays a Big Ten rival such as Penn State, Michigan or Ohio State. Thoughts?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Aside from the fact that it should be Lehigh vs. Penn State, I heartily agree, I'd love to see this happen.

Go Green
October 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Or perhaps even have a double header where Princeton plays an Ivy League rival such as Yale, Harvard or Penn and Rutgers plays a Big Ten rival such as Penn State, Michigan or Ohio State. Thoughts?

A double-header on the same field?

I know that happens once in a while at the D-III level because of inclement weather. But can't recall it happening at the D-I/FBS/FCS level anytime in recent memory...

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM
High Point Solutions Stadium where Rutgers plays is artificial turf and therefore can handle the rigors of a double header on the same day. Perhaps a noon start for Princeton vs. Penn, Yale, Harvard, etc. and then a night game for Rutgers vs. Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, etc.

citdog
October 9th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Hey guys, Rutgers fan here. One thing I noticed in our future schedule in 2019 is that RU has an open date on 11/9/2019. What do you think about it being filled by Princeton for the 150th anniversary of the First College Football Game? Being in our inaugural B1G season I know Jim Delany the Big Ten Commissioner would highly endorse it and I feel this game should be played because of the history involved. Or perhaps even have a double header where Princeton plays an Ivy League rival such as Yale, Harvard or Penn and Rutgers plays a Big Ten rival such as Penn State, Michigan or Ohio State. Thoughts?

One thought. Jim Delany is a

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--llN9zCb2--/17mrhckqxxywmjpg.jpg

superman7515
October 9th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Matty Ice? Isn't that the guy who keeps dragging the Falcons down, but the media still tries to pretend he's better than the Super Bowl MVP?

http://freshgoals.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/joe-flacco-super-bowl-xlvii-mvp.jpg

Suck it, Ryan!

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Matty Ice? Isn't that the guy who keeps dragging the Falcons down, but the media still tries to pretend he's better than the Super Bowl MVP?

http://freshgoals.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/joe-flacco-super-bowl-xlvii-mvp.jpg

Suck it, Ryan!

I actually am a big fan of Joe Flacco being from South Jersey. I still to this day say if he transferred to RU the Scarlet Knights would have went to at least 2 BCS Bowls in the Big East.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I actually am a big fan of Joe Flacco being from South Jersey. I still to this day say if he transferred to RU the Scarlet Knights would have went to at least 2 BCS Bowls in the Big East.

Instead he had to settle for Appy bowling over his defense in a real championship game. To his immense credit, he did rally them back.

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Lehigh,

Are the tickets for the Lafayette game at Yankee Stadium sold out yet? I would love to actually be able to attend although acquiring tickets are extremely tough.

citdog
October 9th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Lehigh,

Are the tickets for the Lafayette game at Yankee Stadium sold out yet? I would love to actually be able to attend although acquiring tickets are extremely tough.

Perhaps yet ANOTHER thread on this stinkfest of a ball game is in order? What say you patsy league fans??????

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Lehigh,

Technically it is sold out. At one point the Yankees were talking about releasing some more tickets, but I haven't heard anything recently. Alumni are asking around for tickets.

Sader87
October 9th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Princeton should play Rutgers in 2019. Yeah, they'll probably get smoked but it's not like they couldn't compete.

I doubt it will happen though.

RabidRabbit
October 9th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Rutgers is now part of the B1G, so they would not be allowed to play a FCS team. The B1G is talking of going to a 9 league games/season, and then only FBS programs (and P5 schools at the Commissioner's wish list) for OOC.

Bill
October 9th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Maybe Rutgers and Princeton's sprint teams will play to celebrate...and no, I'm not kidding!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Rutgers is now part of the B1G, so they would not be allowed to play a FCS team. The B1G is talking of going to a 9 league games/season, and then only FBS programs (and P5 schools at the Commissioner's wish list) for OOC.

Wrong. FCS games are allowed.

Go Green
October 9th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Princeton should play Rutgers in 2019. Yeah, they'll probably get smoked but it's not like they couldn't compete.

I doubt it will happen though.

I think Princeton has bad institutional memories of 1986, when they got whipped by a very weak Northwestern team. They haven't done any aggressive OOC scheduling since.

That being said, a doubleheader at Rutgers could work if everyone is on board. After all, Princeton and Rutgers played the first collegiate game at Rutgers.

PAllen
October 9th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I think Princeton has bad institutional memories of 1986, when they got whipped by a very weak Northwestern team. They haven't done any aggressive OOC scheduling since.

That being said, a doubleheader at Rutgers could work if everyone is on board. After all, Princeton and Rutgers played the first collegiate game at Rutgers.

Who cares if you get whipped? Who wouldn't want to play in this game? It could be used as a great recruiting tool for both schools, and it's not exactly going to effect the Ivy League Championship race one bit.

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Technically it is sold out. At one point the Yankees were talking about releasing some more tickets, but I haven't heard anything recently. Alumni are asking around for tickets.
Unlike the apparent Citadel troll here, I actually appreciate the Lehigh - Lafayette rivalry. I live in Philly and work with a few Lehigh alums and they are all good people, intelligent. RU plays Michigan State in East Lansing that day and would love to catch the 1-AA equivalent of the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry.

kdinva
October 9th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Rutgers v. Princeton in 2019 is super, and Rutgers already has a 1-AA game (Morgan St.), in 2017.....

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/rutgers-scarlet-knights.php

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 03:20 PM

I think Delany would allow this one FCS game due to its historical purposes. The B1G likes to think of themselves almost like the Public Ivy League, and the Big Ten and Ivy Leagues are the 2 oldest college athletic conferences. Or even the double header at High Point Solutions Stadium would work if Princeton would rather not play Rutgers directly.

Franks Tanks
October 9th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Lets get this out of the way again. The Big 10 has not banned its members from playing FCS schools. There was some sort of informal "agreement" that they would not schedule FCS schools past 2016 or what not, but a school will not be fined or kicked out of the league if they schedule an FCS school.

Princton at Rutgers in 2019 would be awesome, so long as Rutgers agrees to change their impossibly ugly uniforms before that time. Yeah, Rutgers would probaby win easy, but the Scarlet Knights play teams like Howard, which are arguably less talented than Princeton. Not so sure that Princeton would agree to be the undercard for a game at Rutgers. They are Princeton don't you know, and wouldn't take kindly to being the opening act.

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Lets get this out of the way again. The Big 10 has not banned its members from playing FCS schools. There was some sort of informal "agreement" that they would not schedule FCS schools past 2016 or what not, but a school will not be fined or kicked out of the league if they schedule an FCS school.

Princton at Rutgers in 2019 would be awesome, so long as Rutgers agrees to change their impossibly ugly uniforms before that time. Yeah, Rutgers would probaby win easy, but the Scarlet Knights play teams like Howard, which are arguably less talented than Princeton. Not so sure that Princeton would agree to be the undercard for a game at Rutgers. They are Princeton don't you know, and wouldn't take kindly to being the opening act.

I agree on the uniforms...Most RU fans hate them and wear the old uniforms to games. Don't underestimate Jim Delany, something tells me he would want this game to happen and may throw a king's ransom at Princeton to do it.

Bill
October 9th, 2014, 04:08 PM
would love to catch the 1-AA equivalent of the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry.

Eh, Ehmm. I believe you mean when you watch Ohio State - Michigan, you catch the 1-A equivalent of Lehigh - Lafayette. xnodx

Nova09
October 9th, 2014, 04:12 PM

Suck it, Ryan!

He is better than the SB MVP, not that it matters as both are not any good as far as starting nfl qbs go.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 04:45 PM
I think Delany would allow this one FCS game due to its historical purposes. The B1G likes to think of themselves almost like the Public Ivy League, and the Big Ten and Ivy Leagues are the 2 oldest college athletic conferences. Or even the double header at High Point Solutions Stadium would work if Princeton would rather not play Rutgers directly.

Army at Yale got a wavier this year because of the historical significance of the game. I can't imagine a game with more historical significance than a rematch of the first college game ever played.

kdinva points out that Morgan State already has a game vs. Rutgers on the 2019 schedule. That might cause a problem but I imagine the Morgan State game could be moved to another season. I would love this game to happen and I would be there for sure.

Failing that, mattyice718, the "Middle Three" schools would like to have a go at the Scarlet Knights, I think. Wavier no longer needed. We're still Rutgers' most-played opponents, you know . . . xrolleyesx

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Army at Yale got a wavier this year because of the historical significance of the game. I can't imagine a game with more historical significance than a rematch of the first college game ever played.

kdinva points out that Morgan State already has a game vs. Rutgers on the 2019 schedule. That might cause a problem but I imagine the Morgan State game could be moved to another season. I would love this game to happen and I would be there for sure.

Failing that, mattyice718, the "Middle Three" schools would like to have a go at the Scarlet Knights, I think. Wavier no longer needed. We're still Rutgers' most-played opponents, you know . . . xrolleyesx

I say bring it on lol. I and I'm sure many RU fans would love to play Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham, Udel, etc., instead of Howard and schools we have zero history with. The older Rutgers fans would be happy to play the Middle Three and we continue to grow as a Big Ten school in conference.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 04:58 PM

At this point the only tix are in the "secondary market," i.e., StubHub, etc. There's little doubt that tickets suddenly will appear in the parking lots, sidewalks and tailgate areas on the day of the game, but right now the tickets on StubHub range from $200 for nose-bleeds to well over $1,000 for field and main level seats.

Go...gate
October 9th, 2014, 08:29 PM
I agree on the uniforms...Most RU fans hate them and wear the old uniforms to games. Don't underestimate Jim Delany, something tells me he would want this game to happen and may throw a king's ransom at Princeton to do it.

RU had great unis - scarlet and white - and great helmets for many years. They look awful now.

marenlee
October 9th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Basically an exhibition game for Rutgers right? This would not count as a D1 win as Princeton doesn't like scholorships.

CHIP72
October 9th, 2014, 08:50 PM

As are non-alumni. xpissedx

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Basically an exhibition game for Rutgers right? This would not count as a D1 win as Princeton doesn't like scholorships.

Rutgers - Princeton would apply for an NCAA exemption like the one given to Army - Yale this season. Neither would (or would be permitted to) play the game if it didn't count.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 09:22 PM
RU had great unis - scarlet and white - and great helmets for many years.

Indeed they did. The "Middle Three" recollection for many, Go...gate:

http://i58.tinypic.com/15d03eu.png

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2014, 10:21 PM
I still can't believe Rutgers was playing here in the early 90's.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GHEu4WziYRQ/UH7nDw0jhlI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/75cdksEllMM/s1600/rutgers_stadium01.jpg

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 10:31 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GHEu4WziYRQ/UH7nDw0jhlI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/75cdksEllMM/s1600/rutgers_stadium01.jpg

Amazing isn't it? Now we play sellout crowds on national TV vs Penn State and Michigan in the Big Ten.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 10:31 PM

I liked that place. Also it was really easy to sneak in without a ticket.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Now we play to sellout crowds on national TV

So do we. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/images/smilies/razz.gif

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 10:40 PM
So do we. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/images/smilies/razz.gif

But not to Penn State or Michigan lol...that said respect to any school that sells out on a regular basis in terms of attendance.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 10:46 PM
But not to Penn State or Michigan lol...that said respect to any school that sells out on a regular basis in terms of attendance.

Where's citdog with a "schmeckle" reference when you really need him?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2014, 10:58 PM

There were a TON of PSU fans at the Rutgers game a few weeks ago. Playing teams with a large alumni base certainly helps. Unless Rutgers is really good I don't see that type of atmosphere for Illinois or Minnesota.

Rutgers's-Louisville from 2006/7(?) still remains one of my favorite games I've ever watched. The atmosphere in the stadium that night must have been off the charts. PSU-Ohio State in 2005 is another game that I would have paid good money to see. That game brought "Zombie Nation" to the masses. It happened to be night of the HC-Lehigh monsoon game. By 8 pm that night I was sick as hell.....

Go...gate
October 9th, 2014, 11:07 PM
I say bring it on lol. I and I'm sure many RU fans would love to play Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham, Udel, etc., instead of Howard and schools we have zero history with. The older Rutgers fans would be happy to play the Middle Three and we continue to grow as a Big Ten school in conference.

How about Colgate? We have played RU over forty times....

Go...gate
October 9th, 2014, 11:11 PM

That was great place to watch a football game. Went there many, many times.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Amazing isn't it? Now we play sellout crowds on national TV vs Penn State and Michigan in the Big Ten.

Why didn't Rutgers play Miami in 1991 or 1992? Both teams were in the BE those two years. I would have loved to see Da "U" roll into the old Rutgers Stadium back in the day....

Go...gate
October 9th, 2014, 11:14 PM

Saw a lot of RU games against "Middle Three" Lafayette and Lehigh, as well as Colgate, at the "old" Rutgers Stadium. Definitely showing my age.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 11:15 PM
How about Colgate? We have played RU over forty times....

Colgate would probably be the most competitive "Core Five" PL game vs. Rutgers right now.

Of course you're still gonna have to do dat HOODOO!

Go...gate
October 9th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Why didn't Rutgers play Miami in 1991 or 1992? Both teams were in the BE those two years. I would have loved to see Da "U" roll into the old Rutgers Stadium back in the day....

The early years of the Big East Football Conference saw some schedule shuffling before it was a true round-robin. UM had some very profitable games they did not want to drop.

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 11:23 PM
There were a TON of PSU fans at the Rutgers game a few weeks ago. Playing teams with a large alumni base certainly helps. Unless Rutgers is really good I don't see that type of atmosphere for Illinois or Minnesota.

Rutgers's-Louisville from 2006/7(?) still remains one of my favorite games I've ever watched. The atmosphere in the stadium that night must have been off the charts. PSU-Ohio State in 2005 is another game that I would have paid good money to see. That game brought "Zombie Nation" to the masses. It happened to be night of the HC-Lehigh monsoon game. By 8 pm that night I was sick as hell.....

The crowd noise from the Michigan game was so loud you could hear it 3 miles away in Somerset, New Jersey. I'd say there was about 7k PSU fans for the game, about 5k for Michigan. Wisconsin will sell out too for Homecoming. And FYI, RU has nearly half a million living alumni.

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Colgate would probably be the most competitive "Core Five" PL game vs. Rutgers right now.

I'm on board with playing Colgate. I'd rather not play Syracuse, Uconn or Pitt anymore bc I don't want them recruiting NJ. Temple is good too since the Linc was like a de facto home game for RU a few years ago.

Go...gate
October 9th, 2014, 11:26 PM
Colgate would probably be the most competitive PL game vs. Rutgers right now.

The Hoo-Doo remains alive and well!

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 11:29 PM

Not exactly a lot of blue and white as far as I can see here.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2014, 11:31 PM
I'm on board with playing Colgate. I'd rather not play Syracuse, Uconn or Pitt anymore bc I don't want them recruiting NJ. Temple is good too since the Linc was like a de facto home game for RU a few years ago.

Some Temple fans/alums, mostly those from NJ, consider Rutgers a big rival. While it's good for the two teams to play I don't think it's a must to do it yearly. Villanova is and always will be our #1 nemesis.....

Hopefully Rutgers and Princeton can figure out a way to make this game happen. It might pave the way for a LU-RU game again....

Go...gate
October 9th, 2014, 11:32 PM

Back in the day, Rutgers and Colgate played in football and just about everything else every year. The schools shared a fine relationship (Rutgers was happy to play Colgate home-and home in everything as well). In recognition of that relationship, the alumni associations of both schools combined to fund The Rutgers-Colgate Alumni Trophy, which was given to the winner of the football game between the schools. It was on display for many years at the Rutgers College Avenue Gym and later, at Hale Center outside Rutgers Stadium.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2014, 11:36 PM

Not exactly a lot of blue and white as far as I can see here.

This is a better pic. There were 10k+ PSU fans. The amount of blue and white stands out....

http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/pgmain/img/njcom_photos/photo/2014/09/13/rutgers-hosts-penn-state-in-its-first-big-ten-conference-football-game-9008be4e4b25c889.jpg

Go...gate
October 9th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Funny recalling all of this. It was a big deal growing up to go with my father and brother to Palmer or Rutgers Stadium, and the matchups were well-matched to the time - Princeton played the Ivies, Rutgers and Colgate, while Rutgers, in addition to Princeton, played Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Yale, Gettysburg, NYU, Army, Delaware, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, Holy Cross and Colgate. The ultimate in "bus games". It was a lot of fun and some damn good football was played, too.

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Some Temple fans/alums, mostly those from NJ, consider Rutgers a big rival of Temple. While it's good for the two teams to play I don't think it's a must to do it yearly. Villanova is and always will be our #1 nemesis.....

Hopefully Rutgers and Princeton can figure out a way to make this game happen. It might pave the way for a LU-RU game again....
Me being from Philly I completely agree that Temple and Rutgers consider themselves rivals. A little more friendly most TU alums are then say Cuse or Uconn who are the bane of my existence. It'll be interesting to see what rivalries develop in the B1G. I'd say Penn State has the most potential. Maryland idk if I would consider a rival just yet but who knows.

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 11:38 PM

Hmmm. I think some folks here, especially Patriot League fans, look at the entire college football thing a whole lot differently than do Rutgers fans. Just my xtwocentsx

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 11:39 PM
This is a better pic. There were 10k+ PSU fans. The amount of blue and white stands out....

http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/pgmain/img/njcom_photos/photo/2014/09/13/rutgers-hosts-penn-state-in-its-first-big-ten-conference-football-game-9008be4e4b25c889.jpg
Did you get tickets?

Bogus Megapardus
October 9th, 2014, 11:41 PM
The Rutgers-Colgate Alumni Trophy was given to the winner of the football game between the schools. It was on display for many years at the Rutgers College Avenue Gym and later, at Hale Center outside Rutgers Stadium.

Rutgers probably stole it. It's likely in the same dingy underground vault as the Little Brass Cannon.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Did you get tickets?

I didn't although I would like to get to Rutgers for a game. I've been to a ton of different stadiums but never the Scarlet Knight's home digs.

A couple of my PSU friends posted pics from the game on FB etc.....

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Glad to see we upgraded the marching band lol. Still not quite Big Ten standards but it sure beats the awkwardness of the Princeton one. I'm a sucker for a good marching band and seems like nearly all the B1G schools have excellent ones.

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 11:46 PM
I didn't although I would like to get to Rutgers for a game. I've been to a ton of different stadiums but never the Scarlet Knight's home digs.

A couple of my PSU friends posted pics from the game on FB etc.....
Might be able to get tix to Indiana for Senior Day...Wisconsin homecoming will sell out and next year OSU, MSU and Nebraska invade Piscataway.

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Might be able to get tix to Indiana for Senior Day...Wisconsin homecoming will sell out and next year OSU, MSU and Nebraska invade Piscataway.
Tailgating scene at RU is very underrated too if you ever do come up for a game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Tailgating scene at RU is very underrated too if you ever do come up for a game.

I'll definitely have to give it a shot. Hopefully Temple plays up there in the near future. I was in NJ for the ND-Syracuse game a couple of weeks ago. I'll be traveling to the Temple game @ PSU November 15th. We haven't beaten the Lions since WW2. We have a shot, like in 2011, this year....

mattyice718
October 9th, 2014, 11:52 PM
I'll definitely have to give it a shot. Hopefully Temple plays up there in the near future. I was in NJ for the ND-Syracuse game a couple week ago. I'll be traveling to the Temple game @ PSU November 15th. We haven't beaten the Lions since WW2. We have a shot, like in 2011, this year....
Go get em!!! That last 2 minutes still bothers me lol. RU should be 6-0 going into a war with Ohio State right now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 9th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Go get em!!! That last 2 minutes still bothers me lol. RU should be 6-0 going into a war with Ohio State right now.

Win or lose, attending a game at Beaver Stadium is awesome! I hope it snows!! xdrunkyx

Rutgers is solid. They were last year and seem improved this season. If Nova and the offense ever get it going consistently they could very easily reach double-digit wins....

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 12:01 AM

Agreed - even for other sports. I was at a Rutgers - Lafayette lacrosse game, wearing all my Leopard garb. I was offered food and beer as soon as I walked into the parking lot and I missed the FO and the entire first quarter as a result. Rutgers fans were very welcoming; everyone talked lacrosse and lax camps and who Lafayette might have that could do damage to the Scarlet Knights that day. Very knowledgeable lax fans.

When I left I discovered a big scarlet "R" magnet had been affixed to the back of my pickup. I still have it - stuck on the fridge with all the other ephemera. A great day all around.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Win or lose, attending a game at Beaver Stadium is awesome! I hope it snows!! xdrunkyx

Rutgers is solid. They were last year and seem improved this season. If Nova and the offense ever get it going consistently they could very easily reach double-digit wins....
I intend to make it up to Beaver next year and watch the Knights get a little payback. Many fans are going to the Horseshoe vs OSU...wish I had that disposable income. I'm going to College Park thanksgiving weekend for the Maryland game and likely will parley that into a day trip into DC.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2014, 12:05 AM

Great to see Lafayette was as inept at tackling then as they hopefully are today.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Agreed - even for other sports. I was at a Rutgers - Lafayette lacrosse game, wearing all my Leopard garb. I was offered food and beer as soon as I walked into the parking lot and I missed the FO and the entire first quarter as a result. Rutgers fans were very welcoming; everyone talked lacrosse and lax camps and who Lafayette might have that could do damage to the Scarlet Knights that day. Very knowledgeable lax fans.

When I left I discovered a big scarlet "R" magnet had been affixed to the back of my pickup. I still have it - stuck on the fridge with all the other ephemera. A great day all around.

Unless you are a Syracuse fan you'll find most Rutgers fans to be passionate but fun loving people. Can't wait for Big Ten Lax...Hopkins, Maryland, Rutgers and PSU are a solid core to build and I expect OSU and Michigan to compete once they get the resources too. I expect other schools like Northwestern, Michigan State and Wisconsin to add lacrosse at some point.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 10th, 2014, 12:08 AM
I intend to make it up to Beaver next year and watch the Knights get a little payback. Many fans are going to the Horseshoe vs OSU...wish I had that disposable income. I'm going to College Park thanksgiving weekend for the Maryland game and likely will parley that into a day trip into DC.

Beaver Stadium, The Shoe, Camp Randall and Memorial Stadium (Nebraska) are must see's if you ever get the chance. The Big House and Kinnick would also be cool. The away destinations in the Big 10 are certainly a step up from those in the AAC. I'd like to get to ECU and Cincinnati at some point, otherwise, blah....

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Beaver Stadium, The Shoe, Camp Randall and Memorial Stadium (Nebraska) are must see's if you ever get the chance. The Big House and Kinnick would also be cool. The away destinations in the Big 10 are certainly a step up from those in the AAC. I liked to get to ECU and Cincinnati at some point, otherwise, blah....
Our OOC even is stepping up...we play at Washington in Seattle in 2016. Husky Stadium has to be one of the most scenic college football venues in the country. People watch the game on boats out on the water.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 02:43 AM
inept at tackling

And you're one to talk, LFN?

Nonetheless, a worthy riposte, sir. xnodx

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 02:44 AM
I expect OSU and Michigan to compete once they get the resources too.

Money buys a lot of things but it doesn't buy tradition. Lacrosse is sacred and ought not be disturbed by interlopers. xsmhx

http://i58.tinypic.com/2pzwu12.jpg

CHIP72
October 10th, 2014, 05:07 AM

You may never get your car out of the grass parking "lots" around Beaver Stadium if it snows for a game. xoopsx

CHIP72
October 10th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Mattyice - no offense, but you're talking like Rutgers has arrived in Division I-A football. They haven't, and I'm not sure they ever will.

Incidentally, Rutgers will never be Penn State's eastern rival.

CHIP72
October 10th, 2014, 05:26 AM
All this talk about eastern college football back in the day makes me want to go off on a long discussion (again; I've had this discussion face-to-face and on other internet message boards many times) about how the Big East's decision to not admit Penn State to the conference some 30 years ago not only proved to be the worst decision the Big East Conference ever made (unless you're a school like Georgetown, Villanova, or St. John's, who postponed their day of reckoning for 30 years), but also has ultimately negatively impacted pretty much ALL of the schools in the East that played Division I-A football back in the 1980s (i.e. the eastern independents). (Ironically, the one exception to that might be Rutgers.) All of the old eastern independents (i.e. Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia, Boston College, Rutgers, Temple, etc.) are either interlopers in leagues based in a different region of the country and/or are in the leagues that are less prominent than a Big East Conference with all of those schools plus a few others in it would be. A true eastern football conference including the aforementioned schools plus Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Connecticut, and possibly Cincinnati, Louisville, Notre Dame, and a few other schools would have won the real college football battle (i.e. TV), which would have helped those schools on the field too. Instead, Penn State decides to join the Flyover Country Conference, I mean the Boring Ten, I mean the Big Ten, and eastern Division I-A football programs become more marginalized, after experiencing what quite frankly was an excellent era for the region as a whole in the late 1970s and 1980s. UGH!

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Mattyice - no offense, but you're talking like Rutgers has arrived in Division I-A football. They haven't, and I'm not sure they ever will.

I dare you to go to the Rutgers rivals.com board and say that on the free board.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 06:08 AM

So who exactly is your school and have they averaged sell outs for their conference games this year? Have they gone to the West Coast and taken down a Pac-12 school playing at 10 pm local time? Have they gone to Navy and handed the Midshipmen their first home loss in 2 years? And in the process holding the number 1 rushing offense to half their output? Have they beaten a blue blood like Michigan this season? Or better yet, have they set TV ratings records in Philly and NYC? Because Rutgers accomplished ALL of those tasks in half a season. So pump your brakes on what you just said unless your team has done some serious work this year.

superman7515
October 10th, 2014, 06:23 AM
So who exactly is your school and have they averaged sell outs for their conference games this year? Have they gone to the West Coast and taken down a Pac-12 school playing at 10 pm local time? Have they gone to Navy and handed the Midshipmen their first home loss in 2 years? And in the process holding the number 1 rushing offense to half their output? Have they beaten a blue blood like Michigan this season? Or better yet, have they set TV ratings records in Philly and NYC? Because Rutgers accomplished ALL of those tasks in half a season. So pump your brakes on what you just said unless your team has done some serious work this year.

If your cock's so big, why do you have to crow so loud to lessers?

Franks Tanks
October 10th, 2014, 06:37 AM

You gotta be "Rutgers Al"

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 07:12 AM
You gotta be "Rutgers Al"

Lol nah RutgersAl would boast we were going to the Shoe and upsetting Ohio State by 3 touchdowns and then beat Nebraska soundly the week after. He makes outlandish claims like that where everything I posted is the truth. My issue came from the quote saying we have not arrived in 1-a when I gave sound evidence disproving that theory.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I would like to see if any Princeton fans can comment on this. We kind of went off on a tangent there for a while.

Franks Tanks
October 10th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Lol nah RutgersAl would boast we were going to the Shoe and upsetting Ohio State by 3 touchdowns and then beat Nebraska soundly the week after. He makes outlandish claims like that where everything I posted is the truth. My issue came from the quote saying we have not arrived in 1-a when I gave sound evidence disproving that theory.

It depends what your definition of arrived would be. I am personally happy that the boys from "the banks of the old Raritan" are now a respectable college football program. Rutgers has come a long way from their lean years in the 80's and 90's and I think should now be considered a solid mid-level Big Ten program. I do not however see Rutgers competing for league titles and BCS bowl games on an annual basis anytime soon. Rutgers is a solid program that must hope they catch lightning in a bottle once every few years and compete for a league title at present.

Ivytalk
October 10th, 2014, 08:26 AM
It depends what your definition of arrived would be. I am personally happy that the boys from "the banks of the old Raritan" are now a respectable college football program. Rutgers has come a long way from their lean years in the 80's and 90's and I think should now be considered a solid mid-level Big Ten program. I do not however see Rutgers competing for league titles and BCS bowl games on an annual basis anytime soon. Rutgers is a solid program that must hope they catch lightning in a bottle once every few years and compete for a league title at present.

Unless Chris Christie wins the Presidency. Then watch the magic happen!

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Frankly I would be perfectly fine with that. We never will be Ohio State or Nebraska, but I could see us being like Wisconsin or Michigan State who is a perennial bowl team and may compete for a Big Ten Crown/Rose Bowl every 5 years or so if we put it all together.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 08:38 AM
I would like to see if any Princeton fans can comment on this. We kind of went off on a tangent there for a while.

Hey, Go...gate, do you know any Princeton fans? xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Unless Chris Christie wins the Presidency.

Christie's a Blue Hen. More likely to catch him at The Tub than in Piscataway on a Saturday afternoon. Or watching Seton Hall take down Rutgers in March at the Rock.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Christie's a Blue Hen. More likely to catch him at The Tub than in Piscataway on a Saturday afternoon.

Exactly. He surprisingly was neutral in our bowl game vs Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium last year although I heard he is close to Mike Brey the ND basketball coach and has kids that go there.

Bill
October 10th, 2014, 09:04 AM

Matty

Please don't point to beating Navy as arriving on the level of 1-A football. That's like saying some NEC team has arrived because they beat a Patriot League team...oh wait, haven't other threads been doing that?xsmiley_wix

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Hmm . . . could link matty over to the Ivy Voy Board to ply his craft. Those guys love to discuss Rutgers and Penn State football.

Or am I just being cruel? xangelx

PAllen
October 10th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Me being from Philly I completely agree that Temple and Rutgers consider themselves rivals. A little more friendly most TU alums are then say Cuse or Uconn who are the bane of my existence. It'll be interesting to see what rivalries develop in the B1G. I'd say Penn State has the most potential. Maryland idk if I would consider a rival just yet but who knows.

Maryland thinks they're rivals with Penn St. PSU thinks they are rivals with Ohio State. Ohio State are rivals with Michigan. So Rutgers should get in line and think of themselves as rivals of Maryland.

Franks Tanks
October 10th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Maryland thinks they're rivals with Penn St. PSU thinks they are rivals with Ohio State. Ohio State are rivals with Michigan. So Rutgers should get in line and think of themselves as rivals of Maryland.

Ohio State hates Penn State plenty. Not Michigan level by any means, but but still a healthy dislike. OSU fan are just angry in general, perhaps it stems from also being fans of the Browns or Bengals.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Ohio State hates Penn State plenty. Not Michigan level by any means, but but still a healthy dislike. OSU fan are just angry in general, perhaps it stems from also being fans of the Browns or Bengals.

I think OSU fans are angry simply from the fact that they are from Ohio. I think that alone would make me surly.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Someone on Rutgers Rivals fan page posted this discussion as support for the Princeton game for 2019. Hope it continues to gain more traction.

PAllen
October 10th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Hey, Go...gate, do you know any Princeton fans? xlolx

Wasn't there some guy on here with a bag over his head who went to Princeton for grad school or something? ;)

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Wasn't there some guy on here with a bag over his head who went to Princeton for grad school or something? ;)

I've never known Go...gate to wear a paper bag over his head. http://www.pcwize.com/thebat/pcwsmileys/pcwimages/paperbag_125.gif

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I live in Philly and work with a few Lehigh alums and they are all good people, intelligent.

We have a winner for joke and most misleading statement of the year on AGS! Congratulations! xthumbsupx

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Someone on Rutgers Rivals fan page posted this discussion as support for the Princeton game for 2019. Hope it continues to gain more traction.

Fancy seeing a Suckgers fan around here... well, maybe not... you are an FCS program masquerading as an FBS wanna-be.

The Big Ten does not want you... they only want you because of your proximity to NYC and large potential bonanza of TV dollars.

Suckgers symbolizes everything wrong with higher education and college athletics in general... paying for a house of a subpar coach, axing athletic programs while the football and stadium budget balloons, going from a quasi-Ivy institution to being the Arizona State of the Northeast.

Oh yes, welcome to the board...

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Fancy seeing a Suckgers fan around here... well, maybe not... you are an FCS program masquerading as an FBS wanna-be.

The Big Ten does not want you... they only want you because of your proximity to NYC and large potential bonanza of TV dollars.

Suckgers symbolizes everything wrong with higher education and college athletics in general... paying for a house of a subpar coach, axing athletic programs while the football and stadium budget balloons, going from a quasi-Ivy institution to being the Arizona State of the Northeast.

Oh yes, welcome to the board...

Tell that to Michigan then who even in a down year would curb stomp you. Oh and for the record RU is tied with Nebraska at 5-1 for best overall record in the Big Ten. Not bad for an FCS program masquerading as an FBS program eh? You sound like a bitter Sorrycuse fan stuck in 1998. Grow up.

Bill
October 10th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Matty

I think you're arguing from the wrong perspective. Michigan is not the poster boy for your discussion...no one is accusing Michigan of being an FCS school masquerading as a FBS one - that's not even debatable. No one here compares there school (on the field in football, that is) with Michigan. We have rather strong cases over them off the field , though :)

However, Pard's point is the interesting one. Rutgers wants to be more like Michigan, but isn't going about it in the best ways. Rutgers, as you know, is the highest subsidized FBS program. They operate so far in the red it's not even funny. On top of that, they got rid of legitimately successful sports entirely....sports that are not expensive to operate.

Rutgers, in my opinion, still has an identity crisis. They wish to identify themselves (academically) with elite NE private schools...and simply aren't there anymore. Athletically, they wish to identify themselves with huge 50K+ student public schools of the midwest (save Northwestern). The reality is their student body and academic mission is more like Illinois, Minnesota, Ohio State, etc. A large public research school is a fine mission...so as Pard said, they need to embrace their new reality to being an Arizona State type.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 11:15 AM
My retort was that we just took down a school that in the eyes of most people is college football royalty and pushed another storied program in Penn State to the limit in its first two ever B1G games. When he throws the term "FCS program masquerading as an FBS program" my response is to tell you to look at our record and who we played. And the subsidy will go down. You realize RU just added 3000 more donors and secured it's largest corporate sponsorship in only 3 months of Big Ten association? And that the CIC will generate billions in research dollars? Need to look at things from a micro level not a macro one.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Rutgers has nearly half a million living alumni.

We're a discriminatory lot here at AGS. That's why we'll never run with the Big Boys like Rutgers. For example, if it had been a Lehigh fan who posted about his school having a half million alumni, I immediately would have replied with one (or more) of the following:

"And they're easy to find, too. In fact I just had one over to clean my gutters. I was going to have him sweep out the fireplace while he was at it, but I thought it best not to let him in the house."

"Impressive. Can you control them all by remote? Turn them all off at once?"

Or I might have linked back to this (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?157378-Ivy-League-Non-Conference-Schedules-2015-2017&p=2128879&viewfull=1#post2128879) post from a couple of months ago, indecorous as it might be.

But I would never, ever have have posted such things about Rutgers. Not a chance. So you see what I mean? That's just flat-out discrimination on my part, plain and simple. And we hate ourselves for it.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Got to give credit where credit is due. That quote was pretty funny.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Rutgers is a fine school, and has a fine college football program. But they don't know what they want to be in this new world. Do they want to be Penn State in New Jersey, a revenue-producing, college athletic destination for NY/NJ/PA? Do they want to be a school that emphasizes basketball over all else, making deep runs in the NCAA tournament, while otherwise being a super-selective school for out-of-state kids? Do they just want athletics to be a cozy front porch for the rest of their academic programs, not really caring whether they are top-level, or not? Do they want to cancel athletics altogether? (Before you laugh at that last one, Rutgers faculty members have been very vociferous in that area in the past.)

I think Rutgers students and alumni (of which my wife is one) are confused about what Rutgers wants itself to be. That's why nobody can really come up with an answer to the question above. There are deep divides as to what athletics should be at Rutgers, and their massive spending in an effort to attract big-time athletics thus far has made some enemies.

The B1G experiment is fascinating on a lot of levels. It provides desperately-needed funds to Rutgers Athletics, though they tellingly don't get a full share of the money right away. At some level they are like B1G schools, but they're just so far away - which Rutgers fans will really be flying to Michigan on a regular basis to watch football games? - so fan interest may be tough to germinate. To be sure, Rutgers football this season has been a giant boon - you can't say how huge it is that they're doing well and are well on track for bowl eligibility. But IMO, questions about their finances remain. The hope is clearly that the B1G payouts will be enough to balance the books. We'll see if that happens.

- - - Updated - - -

I blame everything on Tressel.

Bill
October 10th, 2014, 11:46 AM
from a couple of months ago, indecorous as it might be.

There goes Bogie again, using those big PL words!xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2014, 11:46 AM
On an unrelated note, I'm starting to think Rutgers should schedule Lafayette. A couple more losses to them and they'll tie Lehigh's record against them (30-43-1).

That and Lehigh's inevitable win over Rutgers will put the Brass Cannon in Grace Hall forever. Let's make this happen.

Go Green
October 10th, 2014, 11:48 AM
. We never will be Ohio State or Nebraska, but I could see us being like Wisconsin or Michigan State who is a perennial bowl team and may compete for a Big Ten Crown/Rose Bowl every 5 years or so if we put it all together.

Nebraska will never be Nebraska. :)

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Rutgers is a fine school, and has a fine college football program. But they don't know what they want to be in this new world. Do they want to be Penn State in New Jersey, a revenue-producing, college athletic destination for NY/NJ/PA? Do they want to be a school that emphasizes basketball over all else, making deep runs in the NCAA tournament, while otherwise being a super-selective school for out-of-state kids? Do they just want athletics to be a cozy front porch for the rest of their academic programs, not really caring whether they are top-level, or not? Do they want to cancel athletics altogether? (Before you laugh at that last one, Rutgers faculty members have been very vociferous in that area in the past.)

I think Rutgers students and alumni (of which my wife is one) are confused about what Rutgers wants itself to be. That's why nobody can really come up with an answer to the question above. There are deep divides as to what athletics should be at Rutgers, and their massive spending in an effort to attract big-time athletics thus far has made some enemies.

The B1G experiment is fascinating on a lot of levels. It provides desperately-needed funds to Rutgers Athletics, though they tellingly don't get a full share of the money right away. At some level they are like B1G schools, but they're just so far away - which Rutgers fans will really be flying to Michigan on a regular basis to watch football games? - so fan interest may be tough to germinate. To be sure, Rutgers football this season has been a giant boon - you can't say how huge it is that they're doing well and are well on track for bowl eligibility. But IMO, questions about their finances remain. The hope is clearly that the B1G payouts will be enough to balance the books. We'll see if that happens.

- - - Updated - - -

I blame everything on Tressel.

I agree RU is a fractured school in terms of culture. That being said times change and many people against it now may not be there ten years down the road. The Big Ten is an entity I like because they care about academics, more research based than say liberal arts. Oh and to answer your question RU sold out its allotment vs OSU approximately 5k. So the fan base is there imo.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 11:58 AM
My retort was that we just took down a school that in the eyes of most people is college football royalty and pushed another storied program in Penn State to the limit in its first two ever B1G games. When he throws the term "FCS program masquerading as an FBS program" my response is to tell you to look at our record and who we played. And the subsidy will go down. You realize RU just added 3000 more donors and secured it's largest corporate sponsorship in only 3 months of Big Ten association? And that the CIC will generate billions in research dollars? Need to look at things from a micro level not a macro one.

I'm afraid this exemplifies what we refer to around here as the "Georgia State" approach to identity awareness. It isn't always the most prudent tact in a forum that includes a great many deliberately small, private colleges that have no desire at all to be like the Big 10. It's just a guess here - and I could well be wrong - but some here might have been admitted to Rutgers if that's what they really wanted.

Oh, and . . . uhh . . . our enrollment is less than one-twentieth that of Rutgers. But our endowment is greater. xwhistlex

Sader87
October 10th, 2014, 12:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uz3I77MB-cMost importantly, what does Mr MaGoo think about all this???

Bill
October 10th, 2014, 12:10 PM
It isn't always the most prudent tact in a forum that includes a great many deliberately small, private colleges that have no desire at all to be like the Big 10.
Oh, and . . . uhh . . . our enrollment is less than one-twentieth that of Rutgers. But our endowment is greater. xwhistlex

Bogie - correct me if my math is wrong...but if we added the undergrad enrollment of the ENTIRE PL we would still be the smallest Big 10 school (save Northwestern)? Nebraska is smallest - by far - public at about 25K....

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Most importantly, what does Mr MaGoo think about all this???

As you know, Sader87, during Quincy Magoo's four years at Rutgers, Lafayette outscored the Scarlet Knights 144-0. But the truly important issue is this (and you are uniquely qualified to respond) - Mr. Magoo was Rutgers Class of 1928, so all those games would have occurred prior to 1930. Do they count?

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Bogie - correct me if my math is wrong...but if we added the undergrad enrollment of the ENTIRE PL we would still be the smallest Big 10 school (save Northwestern)? Nebraska is smallest - by far - public at about 25K....

Geez, Bill, I've only got ten fingers and one of them doesn't work so well. You want me to do all that cipherin'? xconfusedx

Bill
October 10th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I keep thinkin, but nothin happens!:)

Sandlapper Spike
October 10th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I can't wait until 2022, when Columbia plays Stevens.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 12:24 PM

If I understand your question correctly, Bill, you'd like to know if I think a non-scholarship all-star team comprised of the best of the Ivy and Patriot could beat a Big 10 team such as Northwestern, or perhaps Rutgers. I'm going to go ahead and give you a definite "Yes" on that.

DFW HOYA
October 10th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Stevens College: Four time defending Seaboard Conference champions...
http://www.stevenscollege.edu/315895.ihtml

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Stevens (-21) at Columbia o/u 24

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 12:26 PM
To go off topic here for a minute, it seems as though Lehigh and Lafayette fans are among the more active responders on the board. Is your game at YS going to be televised on ESPN or ESPN2?

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Stevens still plays football? I thought they disbanded their team.

Bill
No.However, Bogie has assured me it will be available on ESPN 8 "the ocho" and WILL be available to Verizon FIOS subscribers in the NY/NJ/PA area.

Sandlapper Spike
Stevens College: Four time defending Seaboard Conference champions...
http://www.stevenscollege.edu/315895.ihtml

Not the same Stevens, though. The one that played Columbia dropped football after the 1924 season.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Is Cotton and Pepper Brooks from Dodgeball doing official commentary too?

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Not the same Stevens, though. The one that played Columbia dropped football after the 1924 season.

Stevens Tech in Hoboken, of course. Great school. Hasn't played varsity football in nearly 100 years, though they do have a club team. I'd still favor them over Columbia by a couple of scores.

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Stevens Tech in Hoboken, of course. Great school. Hasn't played football in nearly 100 years. I'd still favor them over Columbia by a couple of scores.

I think I would bet the spread on Stevens if that's the case. Last time I checked Columbia was the basement dweller of the Ivy League.

Go Green
October 10th, 2014, 12:43 PM

How about Stevenson?

http://gomustangsports.com/sports/fball/index

Bill
October 10th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Green

By the way, Stevenson may have a better football facility than Columbia. And sadly, I may only be half-joking. Former Ravens site...it's ridiculous for DIII.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 12:49 PM
How about Stevenson?

Come to think of it, Steve & Son Sporting Goods of East Paducah sponsors an 85-lb-and-under pee wee team. They'd be game, I'm sure.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Where, oh where has my citdog gone . . . . http://tinyurl.com/nt8b4vg

Bill
October 10th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Where, oh where has my citdog gone . . . . http://tinyurl.com/nt8b4vg

I keep waiting for him to join the coffee klatch...

PAllen
October 10th, 2014, 01:04 PM
On an unrelated note, I'm starting to think Rutgers should schedule Lafayette. A couple more losses to them and they'll tie Lehigh's record against them (30-43-1).

That and Lehigh's inevitable win over Rutgers will put the Brass Cannon in Grace Hall forever. Let's make this happen.

I thought it was in Lower Grace. Or was that the basement of Taylor? xcoolx

PAllen
October 10th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Stevens still plays football? I thought they disbanded their team.

I'd still take Stevens and the over.

PAllen
October 10th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Green

By the way, Stevenson may have a better football facility than Columbia. And sadly, I may only be half-joking. Former Ravens site...it's ridiculous for DIII.

And all of their home games are televised locally. I'm looking at you Georgetown.

PAllen
October 10th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Come to think of it, Steve & Son Sporting Goods of East Paducah sponsors an 85-lb-and-under pee wee team. They'd be game, I'm sure.

I might have to go with Columbia in that one... Nah, the peewees by 7.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Stevens Tech won a "national championship" somewhere in there in the 1800s. Stevens played both Lehigh and Lafayette and they were always a test to see how good their teams really were nationally.

PAllen
October 10th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Bring Back Stevens Football! Come on Bogie, we need a poster! Or, maybe even some T-shirts.

Bill
October 10th, 2014, 01:20 PM
While we're at it, how about Rider? Undefeated since 1951, I believe.xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
October 10th, 2014, 01:41 PM
And all of their home games are televised locally. I'm looking at you Georgetown.

You do realize that television stations in Washington DC have more important things to cover than college football, right? xeyebrowx

While we're at it, how about Rider? Undefeated since 1951, I believe.xthumbsupx

More accurately, "winless since 1951".

PAllen
October 10th, 2014, 01:48 PM
You do realize that television stations in Washington DC have more important things to cover than college football, right? xeyebrowx

More accurately, "winless since 1951".

Hmm, a quick look at the TV broadcast schedule for tomorrow at 1PM shows: 3 college games, one Gaelic Football game, some sitcoms from 40-50 yrs ago, a few 30-40 yr old movies, and a ton of "paid programming". Clearly much more important that college football. Damnit, I need to know how to get a Nu Wave Oven!

Oh, I forgot Rick Steve's Europe and the America's Test Kitchen.

Well, ok, maybe more important than Georgetown football. xrolleyesx

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Bring Back Stevens Football! Come on Bogie, we need a poster! Or, maybe even some T-shirts.

http://i58.tinypic.com/1yqyrr.png

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Tell that to Michigan then who even in a down year would curb stomp you. Oh and for the record RU is tied with Nebraska at 5-1 for best overall record in the Big Ten. Not bad for an FCS program masquerading as an FBS program eh? You sound like a bitter Sorrycuse fan stuck in 1998. Grow up.

Ah, you misunderstand me. Without logic or reason, our enmity list:

1) Lehigh.... .... .... .... 2) Penn 3) Rutgers

Rutgers would be number two, but we have not played in awhile.

ps the Big Ten is an FCS conference masquerading as an FBS conference... any SEC fan will support that claim :D

In any event, it's unlikely Princeton and Rutgers will meet in the near future. Princeton has severely downgraded its schedule unjustifiably even at our level. They are now scheduling Pioneer teams i.e. non-scholarship and not very competitive programs. Princeton used to scheduled primarily Patriot League teams, but we went scholarship. Princeton is more or less a quasi-scholarship program that can compete with other top FCS teams, but they are simply reluctant to do so.

I would have said the same thing about Yale, but they seem to be making a collective effort to upgrade their competition i.e. Army, locking-in Holy Cross for a long series, scheduling Maine. Harvard seems to be heading in the direction of Princeton... scheduling oblivion. Aside from Yale, Cornell deserves credit for creating a real schedule. It's unclear what Penn will do, but last year they had W&M, Villanova, and Lafayette.

Logically, it makes sense to schedule Rutgers, but Princeton just has different ideas of what they think their football program should be.

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Are we talking about Stevens Tech football?? Wow, you know this thread has reached Lafayette-UNH level discussions... :D

Stevens disbanded football before the war... the FIRST World War! I also think that they are the only early college football program currently not playing.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I also think that they are the only early college football program currently not playing.

NYU?

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2014, 02:14 PM
NYU?

No, I mean pre-early... as in "there are local rules on how to play the football game" and the score has two parts for each team early.

*pre-early also refers to the era colloquially known within Easton as the Dominion of the Frankosaurus, an era where the quarterback ran the ball and threw blocks... no fancy-dancy passing at all

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Matty ice - speaking of the SEC, I found their Simpsonization picture...

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/sec-simpsons.jpg

mattyice718
October 10th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Ah, you misunderstand me. Without logic or reason, our enmity list:

1) Lehigh.... .... .... .... 2) Penn 3) Rutgers

Rutgers would be number two, but we have not played in awhile.

ps the Big Ten is an FCS conference masquerading as an FBS conference... any SEC fan will support that claim :D

In any event, it's unlikely Princeton and Rutgers will meet in the near future. Princeton has severely downgraded its schedule unjustifiably even at our level. They are now scheduling Pioneer teams i.e. non-scholarship and not very competitive programs. Princeton used to scheduled primarily Patriot League teams, but we went scholarship. Princeton is more or less a quasi-scholarship program that can compete with other top FCS teams, but they are simply reluctant to do so.

I would have said the same thing about Yale, but they seem to be making a collective effort to upgrade their competition i.e. Army, locking-in Holy Cross for a long series, scheduling Maine. Harvard seems to be heading in the direction of Princeton... scheduling oblivion. Aside from Yale, Cornell deserves credit for creating a real schedule. It's unclear what Penn will do, but last year they had W&M, Villanova, and Lafayette.

Logically, it makes sense to schedule Rutgers, but Princeton just has different ideas of what they think their football program should be.

You mean this SEC?

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/sec-simpsons.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Haha you beat me to it by literally seconds. Well played!! Let me take a wild guess on which one is Vandy lol

- - - Updated - - -

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 02:53 PM
To go off topic here for a minute, it seems as though Lehigh and Lafayette fans are among the more active responders on the board. Is your game at YS going to be televised on ESPN or ESPN2?

No.However, Bogie has assured me it will be available on ESPN 8 "the ocho" and WILL be available to Verizon FIOS subscribers in the NY/NJ/PA area.

Well, unfortunately the latest word is the FiOS deal is off (they were overheard muttering something that sounded like, "Hoya my a$$") and the lo-speed ESPN stream has been bumped to ESPN Eleven (It's One Louder!™) which is compatible with all first-generation Atari game consoles. The good news now is that Top Experts at the Rutgers Graduate Institute of Twisting Random Wires Together and Hoping Something Works - indeed the very Top Experts - have offered their services pro bono to ensure we have the very latest communications technology available by game time.

http://bonumpublicum.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/green-acres-phone-pole.jpg?w=270&h=203

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM
No, I mean pre-early... as in "there are local rules on how to play the football game" and the score has two parts for each team early.

NYU started playing football in 1873 and ceased in 1952.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/incomplete_data/year_by_year_discontinued.php?teamid=2226

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2014, 03:07 PM
NYU started playing football in 1873 and ceased in 1952.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/incomplete_data/year_by_year_discontinued.php?teamid=2226

Ah, apologies... thought they started in the 1890s...

Sader87
October 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Everything before 1930 in college football doesn't count......xdrunkyx

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2014, 03:45 PM

Hmm, not sure... 1932 seems about right... that way, we can also discount Colgate's accomplishments.

Bogus Megapardus
October 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM

I claim a Mr. Magoo (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?161806-Rutgers-vs-Princeton-in-2019&p=2158406&viewfull=1#post2158406) exemption, Sader87.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2014, 03:52 PM
As long as the cutoff is before 1950 I'm in

Go...gate
October 10th, 2014, 05:56 PM
You may never get your car out of the grass parking "lots" around Beaver Stadium if it snows for a game. xoopsx

Or rains.....

Go...gate
October 10th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Princeton has severely downgraded its schedule unjustifiably even at our level. They are now scheduling Pioneer teams i.e. non-scholarship and not very competitive programs. Princeton used to scheduled primarily Patriot League teams, but we went scholarship. Princeton is more or less a quasi-scholarship program that can compete with other top FCS teams, but they are simply reluctant to do so.

You hit this one right on the head.

Thank you, Gary Walters.

Pard4Life
October 10th, 2014, 06:49 PM
You hit this one right on the head.

Thank you, Gary Walters.

Yes, it's more baffling since the AD is Gary Walters. He is considered among the best ADs in the NCAA, and has been on many committees. And, Princeton is a model athletics department... "Education through Athletics." Princeton fields very strong programs in many other sports, and they schedule tough opponents in basketball. Lacrosse has been national champions. They even try in hockey. He is relegating the football program to club-level status, essentially, and is running the football program contrary to the rest of the department. At this point, Princeton should just schedule TCNJ... and frankly, they would be more competitive than Valporaiso or other PFL teams.

Go Green
October 10th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Yes, it's more baffling since the AD is Gary Walters. He is considered among the best ADs in the NCAA, and has been on many committees. And, Princeton is a model athletics department... "Education through Athletics." Princeton fields very strong programs in many other sports, and they schedule tough opponents in basketball. Lacrosse has been national champions. They even try in hockey. He is relegating the football program to club-level status, essentially, and is running the football program contrary to the rest of the department. At this point, Princeton should just schedule TCNJ... and frankly, they would be more competitive than Valporaiso or other PFL teams.

I know. Harvard has just been...

Wait- you're talking about Princeton here? Ok, them too.

Ivytalk
October 11th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I know. Harvard has just been...

Wait- you're talking about Princeton here? Ok, them too.

Who are you messin' with, sheep-lover?xeyebrowx

Son of Eli
January 4th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Who cares if you get whipped? Who wouldn't want to play in this game? It could be used as a great recruiting tool for both schools, and it's not exactly going to effect the Ivy League Championship race one bit.

The 2013 Sagarin ratings had Rutgers rated at 100 and Princeton at 112. If Princeton could again field an Ivy League Champion caliber team in 2019 the game could be competitive.

At any rate, the game would still be worth playing even if Princeton did get blown out. The game would be an excellent showcase for the entire nation of the proud football heritage of Ivy League schools.

Princeton would leave the field with their heads held high no matter what the score. And I don't think Rutgers would be so classless as to run up the score anyway.

ngineer
January 4th, 2015, 04:34 PM
One thought. Jim Delany is a

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--llN9zCb2--/17mrhckqxxywmjpg.jpg
Hey Cit, what are you doing with that on your desk? (;-)