PDA

View Full Version : #6 Youngstown State @ Western Kentucky : Last I-AA Game for WKU

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM
#6 Youngstown State
8-2 [5-1] #1 Gateway
@
Western Kentucky
5-4 [4-2] #4 Gateway

http://wfmj.images.worldnow.com/ads/61995_AM.jpg
WFMJ TV 21 in Youngstown will be broadcasting this game live; they will be doing all the production work for it too; so this will not be on any FSN stations.

Youngstown State is coming in after one of the greatest wins in Stambaugh Stadium History; as the Penguins came back from a 21-10 2nd half deficit behind the legs of Marcus Mason to defeat the #15 Salukis of Southern Illinois 31-24.

The Penguins will travel to Bowling Green, where they have never played good: EVER. They have lost their last 3 or 4 out there in Kentucky. This is the LAST I-AA Football Game in Western Kentucky History; so YSU really wants to send them out with a big loss!!! But all kidding put to side: Good Luck WKU in I-A; you made a lot of YSU fans, including me, jealous of moving up!

My Prediction
Youngstown State: 34
Western Kentucky: 21

Youngstown State clinches a share of the Gateway Crown, and with a UNI loss; will get the GFC Auto-Bid in the Playoffs!

GO GUINS

nmatsen
November 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
#6 Youngstown State
8-2 [5-1] #1 Gateway
@
Western Kentucky
5-4 [4-2] #4 Gateway

http://wfmj.images.worldnow.com/ads/61995_AM.jpg
WFMJ TV 21 in Youngstown will be broadcasting this game live; they will be doing all the production work for it too; so this will not be on any FSN stations.

Youngstown State is coming in after one of the greatest wins in Stambaugh Stadium History; as the Penguins came back from a 21-10 2nd half deficit behind the legs of Marcus Mason to defeat the #15 Salukis of Southern Illinois 31-24.

The Penguins will travel to Bowling Green, where they have never played good: EVER. They have lost their last 3 or 4 out there in Kentucky. This is the LAST I-AA Football Game in Western Kentucky History; so YSU really wants to send them out with a big loss!!! But all kidding put to side: Good Luck WKU in I-A; you made a lot of YSU fans, including me, jealous of moving up!

My Prediction
Youngstown State: 34
Western Kentucky: 21

Youngstown State clinches a share of the Gateway Crown, and with a UNI loss; will get the GFC Auto-Bid in the Playoffs!

GO GUINS

Care to re-phrase that? I believe that #1 should go next to the name of the University of Northern Iowa! Stop claiming that you are number one when you have lost to one of the teams you are tied with. If you want to be a legit number one or "champion" you need to root really hard for the Redbirds to do something that YSU has proved year in and year out they can't do, beat UNI! Oh yeah, you might want to watch out for WKU too...

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Care to re-phrase that? I believe that #1 should go next to the name of the University of Northern Iowa! Stop claiming that you are number one when you have lost to one of the teams you are tied with. If you want to be a legit number one or "champion" you need to root really hard for the Redbirds to do something that YSU has proved year in and year out they can't do, beat UNI! Oh yeah, you might want to watch out for WKU too...

YSU :
#1 According to The Official Website of the Office of the Gateway Football Conference (http://gatewayfootball.xosn.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7600&KEY=&SPID=2899)

BTW: You forget about SIU didn't you?? If they play like they did in Youngstown, SIU will beat UNI......and it will be by more than just a field goal!

bandl
November 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM
YSU is 5-1 in conference, .833 winning percentage. UNI is 4-1 in conference, .800 winning percentage. That is why YSU is listed in 1st place in the Gateway.

Killtoppers90
November 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Ummmm..guys. Before you start shoveling the dirt on our 1-AA career, you might want to know that the YSU game is NOT out final game of the season. We host Austin Peay next week in our 2006 season finale. Sorry to spoil the party.

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Ummmm..guys. Before you start shoveling the dirt on our 1-AA career, you might want to know that the YSU game is NOT out final game of the season. We host Austin Peay next week in our 2006 season finale. Sorry to spoil the party.

O yaa... Whoops! Well it is YSU'S last game!

CbusGUIN
November 6th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Would I be able to buy tickets day of the game down there or should I call WKU ticket office? Also, are there any regulations about tailgating(ex. open containers & such...) If there is anything else I should know I would appreciate.

PenguinPride23
November 7th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Go Guins. And go Salukis & Redbirds- knock off them UNI Panthers for us!

We'll be fighting for our Gateway lives as mentioned, I hope the D doesn't give up an early lead like they did against SIU, it'll be hard to come back on the road. Hopefully it'll be easier without having to contain Whitlock.

Johnny5
November 7th, 2006, 01:31 AM
GO YSU...go anyone playing UNI....good luck WKU in 1A

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Tickets at WKU are easy. No where near a sell out.

FlyYtown
November 7th, 2006, 05:37 AM
GO Penguins!!
I love all these YSU Fans Coming About!!!

GoGuins
November 7th, 2006, 07:03 AM
GO Penguins!!
I love all these YSU Fans Coming About!!!

Yea, YSU is winning again. Climb on the bandwagon there's room

BillLuc1982
November 7th, 2006, 07:41 AM
YSU better be careful. Even though WKU is all but knocked out of the playoffs, they want to leave I-AA with a bang. YSU better play like they did the past two weeks because WKU is better than most people think; they just had a bad start.

I still think YSU will prevail because Heacock really has a focus on WKU games. He just had trouble the first four years because of an awful offensive coordinator who would run it up the middle when the other team had 37 men in the box.

YSU 31, WKU 21

nmatsen
November 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM
YSU :
#1 According to The Official Website of the Office of the Gateway Football Conference (http://gatewayfootball.xosn.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7600&KEY=&SPID=2899)

BTW: You forget about SIU didn't you?? If they play like they did in Youngstown, SIU will beat UNI......and it will be by more than just a field goal!

You know what fly, you are right about one thing, I forgot YSU is 5-1 and UNI is 4-1. Enjoy it while you can Daryll.

How do you figure that SIU is better than UNI when UNI came into the almighty "Ice Princess House" and beat you. With 5 turnovers of their own I might add. Then SIU came into the Ice Princess House, plays a great game, you beat them and all of a sudden they are better than us? Get realxidiotx

igo4uni
November 7th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Well, I've seen both YSU (on tv) and WKU (in person) play UNI. Both teams are very good. I was really impressed by Mason of YSU. He is a very good runner and got a lot of yards against UNI. Moore of WKU did not do nearly as well vs. the UNI defense. I think he ended up with 70 some yards. I think YSU has more to play for in this one, and even though it's a road game for them, I predict they get the win in Kentucky.:twocents:

nmatsen
November 7th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I predict so as well but every year they seem to lose to a WKU or SIU or Western Ill when I don't think they will. I know Fly will tell me that this game for them this was the UNI game but they lose that game every year.

After watching both teams YSU should (I STRESS SHOULD) win this game. Possibly by a couple of scores. But hey, thats why they play the games.

Daved
November 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM
You know what fly, you are right about one thing, I forgot YSU is 5-1 and UNI is 4-1. Enjoy it while you can Daryll.

How do you figure that SIU is better than UNI when UNI came into the almighty "Ice Princess House" and beat you. With 5 turnovers of their own I might add. Then SIU came into the Ice Princess House, plays a great game, you beat them and all of a sudden they are better than us? Get realxidiotx
So with that logic D2 North Dakota and WIU must be better than UNI right?Indiana has beaten "mighty" Iowa but they weren't able to beat SIU on their home turf.

OSUPenguin
November 7th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Yea, YSU is winning again. Climb on the bandwagon there's room
I've been reading AGS for about a year now. I just don't post very often. And I've been on ysupenguins.com since January 2004. I've never left the bandwagon. :nod: :rotateh:

GO 'GUINS!

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I've been reading AGS for about a year now. I just don't post very often. And I've been on ysupenguins.com since January 2004. I've never left the bandwagon. :nod: :rotateh:

GO 'GUINS!

You just ride with the Buckeyes sometimes instead. :rolleyes:

YSU has more dual fans than any school I've ever seen. All the Buckeye gear at the Ice Castle made me sick. :pumpuke:

GoGuins
November 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM

YSU has more dual fans than any school I've ever seen. All the Buckeye gear at the Ice Castle made me sick. :pumpuke:

Me too, but I'm a Michigan fan so it makes me sicker
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/jpierson1970/umosu.gif

ysubigred
November 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM

I puke looking at both Meetchicken and the Suckeyes ****zz!!!! :D :shakingmad: xazzx

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM

I'll second that. Michigan is my favorite I-A team, followed by ND. My goal is to someday see UM-ND at the Big House and in South Bend.

OSUPenguin
November 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM

If YSU would have had my major, I most likely would have went there. But Ohio State and Ohio University are the only 2 colleges universities with my major. AND, how could I not follow Tressel??!?

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 02:21 PM
If YSU would have had my major, I most likely would have went there. But Ohio State and Ohio University are the only 2 colleges universities with my major. AND, how could I not follow Tressel??!?

Fair enough if you went to school there. But seeing all the OSU shirts at the YSU game was pretty sad.

BillLuc1982
November 7th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Hopefully the trend will change soon. Heacock's O-Coordinator made people follow OSU more. Now that he's gone, YSU should start to get its 90s fan base back.

FlyYtown
November 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM
YSU Fans Secondary Teams; or shall I say their true favorites!

1-Ohio State.
2-Notre Dame.
3-Michigan.

These teams come before YSU for most YSU fans, just look at our starting times, we plan AROUND OSU!!!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Is there someway that NBC affiliate that is televising the game there will have some Internet feed or something? I would love to see this game on TV. A shame it's not on ESPNU or something considering some of the games they televise...

FlyYtown
November 7th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Is there someway that NBC affiliate that is televising the game there will have some Internet feed or something? I would love to see this game on TV. A shame it's not on ESPNU or something considering some of the games they televise...

99.9% NO.... Sorry

igo4uni
November 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM
But seeing all the OSU shirts at the YSU game was pretty sad.

I saw a dude in an Iowa jersey at the UNI-Dome for the Missouri State game. I told him he was wearing the wrong shirt. He looked sheepishly at me and said he didn't have time to change.

I've also heard (on panthernation.com, I believe) of a UNI professor making students who show up in his class wearing Iowa or Iowa State shirts to turn them inside out!!!!!!!!

Khan4Cats
November 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
YSU Fans Secondary Teams; or shall I say their true favorites!

1-Ohio State.
2-Notre Dame.
3-Michigan.

These teams come before YSU for most YSU fans, just look at our starting times, we plan AROUND OSU!!!

Is that why you don't have a game on the 18th?:smiley_wi

FlyYtown
November 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Is that why you don't have a game on the 18th?:smiley_wi

B-I-N-G-O!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM
GO WKU! I don't want to hear any complainin out of YSU when they don't get a seed over JMU if both teams win out.

Paladin1aa
November 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM
YSU wins the Gateway.

YSU 28

WKU 17

And get a home play-off game.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 7th, 2006, 07:14 PM
This crazy Gateway... I don't know... WKU might be wanting to leave their conference foes with a sour taste in their mouths...

Johnny5
November 7th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Its hard when the best coach in D-1 football coached at our school. Its hard not to like Ohio State.

I disagree...Tressel is ok, but it is easy to not like OSU. As for the game, I think it will be a close one, as many of our road games happen to be. Unfortunately most peple put OSU/ND/Michigan above YSU...don't get me wrong I love Notre Dame football, but I have missed many a game to watch my Penguins.

Daved
November 7th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I disagree...Tressel is ok, but it is easy to not like OSU. As for the game, I think it will be a close one, as many of our road games happen to be. Unfortunately most peple put OSU/ND/Michigan above YSU...don't get me wrong I love Notre Dame football, but I have missed many a game to watch my Penguins.Glad to hear that, by rights those who live in the area and those who attended YSU should put YSU as the top priority as far as college football.

ysubigred
November 7th, 2006, 09:16 PM
This crazy Gateway... I don't know... WKU might be wanting to leave their conference foes with a sour taste in their mouths...

Did I miss something? WKU leaves next year :confused:

PenguinPride23
November 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Priorities, priorities.. I've been more excited about my Penguins than any other team recently, simply because tOSU has been playing cupcakes (and getting a scare from the Illini) and my Browns suck as usual. Plus I'm entering college this year and the Penguins are something new that I can justify rooting for without being called a bandwagon, and the Tressel connection doesn't hurt. :p

crunifan
November 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah, UNI students are getting less and less tolerant each year about wearing Hawkeye apparel on campus.

I rarely ever see Hawkeye apparel in the dome on game days though. Then again, Ohio State and Youngstown State have very similar school colors. Iowa and UNI aren't. Iowa stresses their gold and we stress purple...

FlyYtown
November 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM
BTW: Any YSU fans want any player signatures.. I will make them.. Nice sig of Mason and Gibson --->PenguinPride23

Go Guins!
Sorry about the delay of the SIU-YSU Videos. My memory card is not reading in my computer; so I am going to do it at another computer...

PenguinPride23
November 7th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Heh, thanks Fly. Mine usually turn out crappy but I like how this one looks. :D

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 7th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Did I miss something? WKU leaves next year :confused:
Yeah, they'll want to go out with a bang.

ysubigred
November 8th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Damn!!!!!!!!!! So much for the transition years etc...... I guess going to the Sun Belt they are already above most team already there :)

ysubigred
November 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I'm YSU 1st Ohio State second. I'd much rather see YSU win then Ohio State. I must say the only reason I like the Buckeyes is because of Tressel. I hate thier fans, they whine about everything. I guess Ohio State football is diffren't, anyone who goes to the horseshoe has an awwe on thier face. In my oppinion it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life.

Dude you either leed a sheltered life or you really have football fever :thumbsup:

Go the central Europe and see the Alps/Zeuk (sp?) Spitz or one of the King Henry castles or better yet October fest in Munich ~ young frauleins tipsy showing happy things then we can talk about beautiful things :beerchug: The shoe :confused: :bang:

igo4uni
November 8th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I've been all over the united states, seen the grand canyon, Been to the yosemite in Cali, been to Niagra falls, saw the desert in Arizona, Natural land down in Arkansas, I've been to the beaches in Cancun, and in my opinion the Horse shoe is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, maybe second to my wife

I feel the same way about the UNI-Dome.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Daved
November 8th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I saw a dude in an Iowa jersey at the UNI-Dome for the Missouri State game. I told him he was wearing the wrong shirt. He looked sheepishly at me and said he didn't have time to change.

I've also heard (on panthernation.com, I believe) of a UNI professor making students who show up in his class wearing Iowa or Iowa State shirts to turn them inside out!!!!!!!!Sadly in this area ,YSU plays third fiddle behind High School football and the big schools(OSU,Penn State,Michigan and ND)as far as fan favoritism.I thought that this was the standard everywhere but I'm glad to hear that its not.

igo4uni
November 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM
The dome is a design only its mother would love
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

igo4uni
November 8th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Sadly in this area ,YSU plays third fiddle behind High School football and the big schools(OSU,Penn State,Michigan and ND)as far as fan favoritism.I thought that this was the standard everywhere but I'm glad to hear that its not.

Most schools in our division have to deal with these issues. Montana, MSU, UNH and Delaware are a few examples that come to mind that don't have in-state competition for fans and $$$s.

Johnny5
November 9th, 2006, 12:43 AM
We have Kent and Akron less then 90 mins away

No one willingly admits they like Kent football:smiley_wi

Kent Read Kent Write Kent Win (fluke year) Kent State:twocents:

ysubigred
November 9th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I've been all over the united states, seen the grand canyon, Been to the yosemite in Cali, been to Niagra falls, saw the desert in Arizona, Natural land down in Arkansas, I've been to the beaches in Cancun, and in my opinion the Horse shoe is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, maybe second to my wife

Awesome response :bow: Sounds like you have it covered :smiley_wi

BillLuc1982
November 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM
We have Kent and Akron less then 90 mins away.

Don't forget about the New Castle School of Trades 15 minutes away!
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

GoGuins
November 9th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Don't forget about the New Castle School of Trades 15 minutes away!
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Allegheny Wesleyan is right outside Salem tooxlolx
http://www.awc.edu/

Paladin1aa
November 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Wow !! Didn't know about that one, Go. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Daved
November 9th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Been in the UNI dome, one of the worst domes I have been in, #1 being the Tropicana Dome in St. Pete, #2 being the UNI dome, #3 Astro dome, it stunk. Some domes I like are Sky dome, Miller Park, Super Dome, Ford field and even the old Silver Dome. RCA isn't bad in INDY. But the UNI Dome is A: Ugly form the outside and B, plain in the inside, once again not as bad as The tropi dome. It's a design only it's fans and mother would love.

As for YSU look at our competition. We have Kent and Akron less then 90 mins away, Pittsburgh is 60 mins away, WVU is 2 hours, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, ND all split fans. Plus the instate schools of Miami, BG, Toledo, Cincy and Ohio U. Plus Northeast Ohio is one of the best regions in the country for highschool football. Not to also mention all the major pro teams we have located in Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Iowa has none. You cant compare Iowa to Youngstown, 2 diffrent areasExcellent points about why this area is different.

skinny_uncle
November 9th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Good point. This will be the Hilltopper's last Gateway game ever. I'm sure they would love to go out with a win, especially at home.

FlyYtown
November 9th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Any YSU fans going down... I was really considering it, but I don't feel like driving or flying down on a wet Saturday and coming back up on Sunday....

GO GUINS!

galojay
November 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Tailgating at WKU--- keep your drinks in a cup. Don't make it way obvious and you'll be okay. No kegs or drinking games.

Tailgating is pretty open. Their are a couple areas reserved for people with passes but their are other areas. Everyone is pretty friendly, except for the occasional drunk student might give you a little grief.

FlyYtown
November 11th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Gameday.... I think a new thread for the game is due.. I won't be here to update it, anyone else?

Toppermaniac
November 12th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Good point. This will be the Hilltopper's last Gateway game ever. I'm sure they would love to go out with a win, especially at home.

Unfortunately not. We didn't show up. Guess we decided to mail in the season after last week's loss knocked us out of the playoff hunt. A very embarrassing performance (or lack thereof).