PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-6

JALMOND
October 8th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Just when things seem to be getting close to normal, things hit the fan. Montana loses their quarterback, although it seems he may be back (great time for a bye). Eastern Washington loses their quarterback and things aren't as rosy. What this all means for the conference altogether remains to be seen but for now here are this week's conference power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Many surprises across the conference with the margins, but not really any upsets, other than Northern Colorado getting their first conference win in almost two years.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---The Eagles were able to finally put aside the upstart Idaho State team, but it may have taken longer than needed. Now they have to head out on the road to Southern Utah without their number one quarterback.

2. Montana State (2)---The Bobcats squeaked out a win last week on the road against a game Sacramento State team. Possessing quite the explosive offensive power, they return to the Causeway area and play at UC-Davis this weekend.

3. Montana (3)---The Grizzlies were able to sneak past North Dakota on the road last week after losing their star quarterback early on. A bye week comes to the Grizzlies this weekend, giving them a chance to heal.

4. Cal Poly (6)---The Mustangs outlasted Southern Utah last weekend at home in another slugfest. Things won't get easier for them as they hit the road once again, this time going to play at Weber State.

5. Idaho State (7)---The Bengals gave their best effort last weekend at Eastern Washington and almost came home with the upset. They jump back into a nonconference game at home this weekend, playing Simon Fraser.

6. Northern Arizona (4)---After closing out Cal Poly at home, the Lumberjacks ended up laying an egg last weekend at Northern Colorado, winning every statistical category except the score. They also take a break this weekend.

7. Sacramento State (8)---The Hornets gave Montana State all they could handle at home in quite the scoring contest before succumbing in defeat. Needing a win in the worst way, they go out to Northern Colorado this weekend.

8. Southern Utah (5)---The Thunderbirds fell just short of a win last weekend at Cal Poly, thus effectively ending their shot at the playoffs. Playing for pride, they host the explosive Eastern Washington team this weekend.

9. Portland State (12)---The Vikings kept UC-Davis at bay last weekend at home, finally breaking in to the win column. Feeling better, they hit the road across the conference footprint this weekend, playing at North Dakota.

10. Northern Colorado (13)---The Bears got some relief and a lot of luck last weekend in their home win against Northern Arizona. Seeking to build on the momentum, they welcome reeling Sacramento State this weekend.

11. North Dakota (11)---The No-Names almost squeaked out an upset at home last weekend against Montana, only to fall victim to a little Griz magic. Feeling better, however, they bring in Portland State this weekend for another conference matchup.

12. UC-Davis (9)---The Aggies, aside from a bit of a scare that they gave Portland State just after halftime, never really threatened and went home with a loss. They entertain Montana State at home this weekend.

13. Weber State (10)---Drawing the short straw last weekend as the odd team that didn't play, the Wildcats move into the basement. Two weeks to prepare for a home tilt against Cal Poly this weekend may vault them out, however.

RECAP: 1-2 together, 3 on an island, 4-13 a jumbled mess.

ming01
October 8th, 2014, 01:55 AM
1. Eastern Washington- Still think offense will be great without VA
2. Montana- Defense is solid. Would've won by more with Johnson in vs UND.
3. Montana State- They are giving up a lot of points. Will drop one to somebody they shouldnt soon.
4. Idaho State- After their showing vs EWU have to put them here.
5. Cal-Poly- NAU loss to UNC put thems here.
6. Northern Arizona- Disappointing loss to UNC. How good are they?
7. North Dakota- Defense looks improved. Need to start finding some offense.
8. Sacramento State
9. Southern Utah
10. Northern Colorado
11. Weber State
12. Portland State
13. UC-Davis

tomq04
October 8th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Idaho State skips Montana this year, but plays MT ST in Bozeman, they could throw a wrench in the Cats plans, but I doubt it...
Mt St and EWU will share the crown.

edit- unless the wheels fall off this week.

robsnotes4u
October 8th, 2014, 11:39 AM
1. MSU-due to VA injury
2. EWU

The rest is a coin flip.

http://www.nfl.com/features/freakonomics/episode-15

Grizalltheway
October 8th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Idaho State skips Montana this year, but plays MT ST in Bozeman, they could throw a wrench in the Cats plans, but I doubt it...

They'll give the Cats and that "defense" all they can handle. Kramer had a narrow miss against one of his former teams, he'll be out for blood against MSU.xnodx

cpalum
October 8th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I could argue that Cal Poly has the #2 or #3 offense. I could also argue they have the #13 defense. Putting them at #4 right now may be a bit too kind.

wapiti
October 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM
After this past weekend it seems as though the bottom half of the Big Sky has improved.

Silenoz
October 8th, 2014, 02:48 PM
After this past weekend it seems as though the bottom half of the Big Sky has improved.

...or the top half just stopped playing offense or defense

catbob
October 8th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Honestly I don't see a complete team anywhere in the Sky this year. EWU/MSU have offenses that seem to be able to score at will, while neither of their defenses seems to want to stop anyone.

UM has a pretty solid defense, but the offense, especially the playcalling has been suspect. Talented group that seems to be being held back. Could be in part to decimated OL.

After that, it's really a toss up. There doesn't seem to be a strong contender for that 4th spot. I think Sac will rebound but they are already out of the conference race. ISU, Poly look good offensively but not defensively (theme in the Big Sky this year). UND looks solid on defense but offense has as much bite as a snail. I also think NAU will rebound - 5 turnovers on the road will lose 99% of the time, no matter who you are playing.

Overall I'd put:

EWU
MSU
UM

ISU
Poly
NAU
Sac
PSU
UND
UNC
SUU
Davis
Weber

mvemjsunpx
October 8th, 2014, 07:52 PM

If the wheels fall off for the contenders, it won't be this week.

Montana doesn't play, MSU plays the worst team in the league, and EWU isn't likely to lose to a Suutah team whose D has been surprisingly awful.

putter
October 8th, 2014, 09:17 PM
IF the Griz young O-Line can figure it out enough to give any QB more than 2 seconds Montana will be a handfull because of their D. IMO, EWU will have a dropoff without Adams. He just brings that added dimension you can't plan for and most QB's don't have that. I think they stumble at least once before he gets back as they can't stop anyone from scoring and I don't believe they will continuously score 45+ without him.

MTfan4life
October 8th, 2014, 09:17 PM
1. Eastern Washington (1)---The Eagles were able to finally put aside the upstart Idaho State team, but it may have taken longer than needed. Now they have to head out on the road to Southern Utah without their number one quarterback.

2. Montana State (2)---The Bobcats squeaked out a win last week on the road against a game Sacramento State team. Possessing quite the explosive offensive power, they return to the Causeway area and play at UC-Davis this weekend.

3. Montana (3)---The Grizzlies were able to sneak past North Dakota on the road last week after losing their star quarterback early on. A bye week comes to the Grizzlies this weekend, giving them a chance to heal.

4. Cal Poly (6)---The Mustangs outlasted Southern Utah last weekend at home in another slugfest. Things won't get easier for them as they hit the road once again, this time going to play at Weber State.

5. Idaho State (7)---The Bengals gave their best effort last weekend at Eastern Washington and almost came home with the upset. They jump back into a nonconference game at home this weekend, playing Simon Fraser.

6. Northern Arizona (4)---After closing out Cal Poly at home, the Lumberjacks ended up laying an egg last weekend at Northern Colorado, winning every statistical category except the score. They also take a break this weekend.

7. Sacramento State (8)---The Hornets gave Montana State all they could handle at home in quite the scoring contest before succumbing in defeat. Needing a win in the worst way, they go out to Northern Colorado this weekend.

8. Southern Utah (5)---The Thunderbirds fell just short of a win last weekend at Cal Poly, thus effectively ending their shot at the playoffs. Playing for pride, they host the explosive Eastern Washington team this weekend.

9. Portland State (12)---The Vikings kept UC-Davis at bay last weekend at home, finally breaking in to the win column. Feeling better, they hit the road across the conference footprint this weekend, playing at North Dakota.

10. Northern Colorado (13)---The Bears got some relief and a lot of luck last weekend in their home win against Northern Arizona. Seeking to build on the momentum, they welcome reeling Sacramento State this weekend.

11. North Dakota (11)---The No-Names almost squeaked out an upset at home last weekend against Montana, only to fall victim to a little Griz magic. Feeling better, however, they bring in Portland State this weekend for another conference matchup.

12. UC-Davis (9)---The Aggies, aside from a bit of a scare that they gave Portland State just after halftime, never really threatened and went home with a loss. They entertain Montana State at home this weekend.

13. Weber State (10)---Drawing the short straw last weekend as the odd team that didn't play, the Wildcats move into the basement. Two weeks to prepare for a home tilt against Cal Poly this weekend may vault them out, however.

14. Idaho (14)---Losing all hope on ever winning again.

RECAP: 1-2 together, 3 on an island, 4-13 a jumbled mess, 14 an embarrassment of a football program.

FIFY xthumbsupx

I figured since they wanted to come crawling back to the conference for everything else, they might as well be a part of the football rankings as well.

UNDColorado
October 14th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Jalmond where are you at? This is the one thread I look forward to each week!

cpalum
October 14th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Jalmond where are you at? This is the one thread I look forward to each week!

I second that comment

veinup
October 14th, 2014, 10:54 AM
almond signal activated

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 01:29 PM
almond signal activated

He is probably a little shaken after UND/Griz then UND/PSU Doesn't know where to put the teams after EWU, MSU, and ISU

tomq04
October 14th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see MSU, EWU, ISU, Montana

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see MSU, EWU, ISU, Montana

That order wouldn't shock me either

Grizalltheway
October 14th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Hell, Montana will probably lose their remaining games and finish last the conference. We're just an awful, awful team.

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Hell, Montana will probably lose their remaining games and finish last the conference. We're just an awful, awful team.

Not Probable but possible. Now if you say that next week I might change it to Probable and extremely possible.

MTfan4life
October 14th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Patience people. If you check the original post of this thread it was posted late last Tuesday night. Considering late Tuesday night hasn't arrived yet this week, I don't think it makes sense to start sending out any Jalmond signals yet. Sure he dates his rankings for Monday, but they usually don't come until late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

tomq04
October 14th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Patience people. If you check the original post of this thread it was posted late last Tuesday night. Considering late Tuesday night hasn't arrived yet this week, I don't think it makes sense to start sending out any Jalmond signals yet. Sure he dates his rankings for Monday, but they usually don't come until late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

I have a strange feeling he was eaten by a shark, this isn't good.

robsnotes4u
October 14th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I have a strange feeling he was eaten by a shark, this isn't good.

I am sticking with he is in shock in the hospital after UND losing to the Griz on a last second field goal, and then turning around a beating PSU, then throw in Idaho state rise. He cracked. Just laying there sucking his thumb, saying Sioux, Sioux, Sioux.

Hopefully he comes back stronger than ever