PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Playoffs: First Round Exits....

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Two teams come to mind:

App State - good on paper, playing in a down conference.

Montana - fat and sassy in one-team conference. Not challenged since week #1.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Wow! That's bold!

I don't disagree with the analysis, but I do disagree that either will lose at home in the first round with their likely opponents being the easiest teams in the field to play against. xidiotx :smiley_wi

mainejeff
November 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure about App State, but you bring up good points.

ToreroTime
November 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Two teams come to mind:

How is Cal Poly not a challenge! #9 Team in the country.

GGASU
November 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Two teams come to mind:

What did the doctor tell you about drinking so early in the day Cap'n! :nono: :nono:

89Hen
November 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Two teams come to mind:
For me too, but I'd say Hampton and the PL rep. Tenn-Martin a close third. :twocents:

Black and Gold Express
November 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Interesting to see that if we only get two teams into the playoffs, rather than three, we're in a "down" year?

I'll agree that the top end of the conference is not as loaded as it usually is, but where the conference has improved is that there's fewer true cupcakes. Certain weeks have been more of a test than they used to be.

Also I'll point out our 11-point win over the #4 team currently in the polls, and a 33-point win over the current #11 team in the polls show that we're more than capable of beating good I-AA teams.

Can we be beaten? Sure. We're not invincible. Nobody is. But we're going to be tough as hell playing at The Rock, where we now have an entire class of players never losing a regular season game (or playoff game so far) at home in their careers. That's quite an achievement in itself. And barring a complete meltdown this week, we're going to get up to three more chances to keep that streak intact.

BillLuc1982
November 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Cal Poly and USD if they make it

putter
November 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Two teams come to mind:

Cap'n,

Without a job you are letting all that "helmet polishing" affect your senses. :eek: Cal Poly was a huge challenge and, as you know, when you are the top dog in conference you get everyones best game. This team has been challenged but they need to get their offense on track to attempt a deep run in the playoffs.

P.S. --> what's with all the Montana hating lately?? :bawling: xlolx

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Interesting to see that if we only get two teams into the playoffs, rather than three, we're in a "down" year?

I'll agree that the top end of the conference is not as loaded as it usually is, but where the conference has improved is that there's fewer true cupcakes. Certain weeks have been more of a test than they used to be.

Also I'll point out our 11-point win over the #4 team currently in the polls, and a 33-point win over the current #11 team in the polls show that we're more than capable of beating good I-AA teams.

Can we be beaten? Sure. We're not invincible. Nobody is. But we're going to be tough as hell playing at The Rock, where we now have an entire class of players never losing a regular season game (or playoff game so far) at home in their careers. That's quite an achievement in itself. And barring a complete meltdown this week, we're going to get up to three more chances to keep that streak intact.

Good points. All the best to the Mountain Men, BGE. Just speculatin'

:)

BeauFoster
November 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Two teams come to mind:

Statements like this make me think that the Cap'n might be more eligible for disability than we all previously thought! xlolx

(no disrespect towards anyone legitimately on disability!)

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Cap'n,

Without a job you are letting all that "helmet polishing" affect your senses. :eek: Cal Poly was a huge challenge and, as you know, when you are the top dog in conference you get everyones best game. This team has been challenged but they need to get their offense on track to attempt a deep run in the playoffs.

P.S. --> what's with all the Montana hating lately?? :bawling: xlolx

No, UM hatin', putsie. Just callin' em as I seez 'em. I love the Montana folks, but just thinkin' they'll be early exits when they face a good non-conf playoff team.

putter
November 6th, 2006, 01:32 PM
No, UM hatin', putsie. Just callin' em as I seez 'em. I love the Montana folks, but just thinkin' they'll be early exits when they face a good non-conf playoff team.

You mean like Cal Poly? ;)

Grizo406
November 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Two teams come to mind:

I think App is the team to beat. They look good on paper, and from what I've seen, look pretty good on the field.

As far as Montana, well, unless we find our offense, you could very well be right, Cap'n.:bawling:

BillLuc1982
November 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM

YSU always gave Montana rude awakenings!

BillLuc1982
November 6th, 2006, 01:49 PM
As far as Montana, well, unless we find our offense, you could very well be right, Cap'n.:bawling:

Not if you play San Diego!

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Two teams come to mind:

I agree that your analysis is BS:eyebrow:

:rotateh: :nod: :p

MarkCCU
November 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I think San Diego will be the 2006 Champions

Dane96
November 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Right now, I think Umass and JMU are the teams to beat...have a feeling.

grizwin
November 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
No challenge lol have you seen our GRIZZZZZZ scores lol

BillLuc1982
November 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Saw JMU play on Saturday. YSU better bring their A+ game with them if they play JMU!

LUHawker
November 6th, 2006, 01:55 PM
For me too, but I'd say Hampton and the PL rep. Tenn-Martin a close third. :twocents:

I can't argue too much, but the PL rep is never an easy out.

ButlerGSU
November 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM
With a team full of returnees anything short of the finals should be viewed as a disappointment for App State.

asu7
November 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM
With a team full of returnees anything short of the finals should be viewed as a disappointment for App State.

amen to that ... I do not see how this is a bad SOCON ... FU is still near the top ... and are ranked in the top 10 ... no they arent ranked first or anything ... the only difference is GSU ... they are down ... but a lot of teams are up ... look at Wofford, Citadel and even ELON ... those schools have improved ... while GSU has fallen due to a whole new system ... we will be tougher than most are expecting and quite frankly ... I like how everyone is playin us down :) ... come to THE ROCK thinkin you are gonna win ... I love it :)xlolx :hurray:

Even GSU and FU knows how tough it is to win at THE ROCK

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I don't see how anyone can say ASU is out the first round ( it might happen on AGS) unless they are solely basing their opinion on the GSU game. It is a mistake to base the value of an entire season or someones play off run on one game.

IF that really was the case we would have quit talking about UNI, Montana St, Furman, South Dakota State and a few others a long time ago:nod:

VictorG
November 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM

If I remember right earlier in the year Cap'n Tat predicted the Griz wouldn't make the playoffs so he's just keeping inform.:rolleyes: :nod:

89Hen
November 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM
the PL rep is never an easy out.
Not ever before, but I think this year is an aberration.

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I don't see how anyone can say ASU is out the first round ( it might happen on AGS) unless they are solely basing their opinion on the GSU game. It is a mistake to base the value of an entire season or someones play off run on one game.

IF that really was the case we would have quit talking about UNI, Montana St, Furman, South Dakota State and a few others a long time ago:nod:

I agree. The only thing that would cause ASU to lose in the first round is maybe overlooking the team they're playing, but I don't see that happening. They're probably going to be at home for 3, so it's going to be tough to get them out.

AppGuy04
November 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM
SLC champ and Hampton

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Two teams come to mind:

Somehow I just KNEW that an unemployed Cap'n would NOT be good for the sanity level on this board....:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

The high ranked team that'll lose in the first round is UMass.

Oh, and I'll predict here first that USD loses. ;)

Black and Gold Express
November 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM

... to UC Davis.

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Two teams come to mind:

Finally CAP'N CAT!!! You've changed on YSU....
I am happy you are behind YSU...

And judging by thoes first round exit's.... YSU could very well be a favorite to go to the nooooooga!

nmatsen
November 6th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Finally CAP'N CAT!!! You've changed on YSU....
I am happy you are behind YSU...

And judging by thoes first round exit's.... YSU could very well be a favorite to go to the nooooooga!

I think you mis-understood the Cap's post Fly. He thinks you guys are going to lose to WKU and get shafted by the comittee again. Its tough to exit in the first round when your not even in:smiley_wi

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I think you mis-understood the Cap's post Fly. He thinks you guys are going to lose to WKU and get shafted by the comittee again. Its tough to exit in the first round when your not even in:smiley_wi

Well, not quite, jegbomb. YSU is a playoff caliber team and I think they'll get in. They just can't beat UNI ever.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

nmatsen
November 6th, 2006, 03:09 PM
ever!!!

ASU Kep
November 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I think San Diego will be the 2006 Champions

If App were to get knocked out, I'd root for 'em. It'd make a great movie.

FlyYtown
November 6th, 2006, 03:22 PM
everrrr... You guys wonder why I want SIU or ILSU to beat you. I do not want to see UNI play us again in the playoffs and kick our ass...because we just can't beat them!

Longhorn
November 6th, 2006, 03:24 PM
amen to that ... I do not see how this is a bad SOCON ... the only difference is GSU ... they are down ... but a lot of teams are up ... look at Wofford, Citadel and even ELON ... those schools have improved ...

3-6 Citadel? 4-5 Elon? 5-4 Wofford? :eyebrow: Okay...if you say so. :rotateh:

GreenDay17
November 6th, 2006, 03:24 PM

To whoever they play after November 18th.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 6th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Exactly... 5 out of 8 teams have loosing records and there is no conference battle with 2 weeks remaining... that sounds like a down year to me!

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM

This is an improvement:nod: xlolx

Wofford will finish 7-4

mcveyrl
November 6th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Exactly... 5 out of 8 teams have loosing records and there is no conference battle with 2 weeks remaining... that sounds like a down year to me!

Let's not eliminate the possibility that it could be a matter of the bottom teams playing up. Just think, a sampling of A-10 losing teams are Villanova, Hofstra, W&M and Northeastern. It's not inconceivable that, if they play a little better (as they have in the past), the same thing could happen in the A-10 with 8 conference games to be played.

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM

No ****. Like I said in post #1, a down conference.

I'm thinking some of these ASU guys and blind SoCon fans are paying too much attention to the bevy of perennial "never-wills" beating a retooling GSU this year and referring to those isolated flashes in the pan to make a case for what is, truly, a mediocre conference. App State is the same as Montana, an 800 lb gorilla in a 9 x7 cage with one golden retriver and seven injured chihuahuas. App State would be a 6-5 team in the Gateway this year. Same with Montana.

No hatin', just speculatin'

: smh : : smh : : smh : :nono: :nono: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I'm thinking some of these ASU guys and blind SoCon fans are paying too much attention to the bevy of perennial "never-wills" beating a retooling GSU this year and referring to those isolated flashes in the pan to make a case for what is, truly, a mediocre conference. App State is the same as Montana, an 800 lb gorilla in a 9 x7 cage with one golden retriver and seven injured chihuahuas. App State would be a 6-5 team in the Gateway this year. Same with Montana.

That is the key word. Because there is no evidence in the argument

If ASU had lost to Mars Hill I would put them in the same category as Northern Iowa:nod:

Griz Grunt
November 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Cap'n, gotta thank ya! Given your record when picking against the Griz, well, looks like were a lock for a first round win. :nod:http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif :hurray:http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif :nod:

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Cap'n, gotta thank ya! Given your record when picking against the Griz, well, looks like were a lock for a first round win. :nod:http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif :hurray:http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif :nod:

Man, R! I pull picks out of my ass. I'm a big picture guy when it comes to college football.

:nod: :nod:

dbackjon
November 6th, 2006, 04:14 PM

xidiotx xidiotx :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM
xidiotx xidiotx :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Be careful, I think he pulled that out of his big picture assxlolx

McNeese75
November 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM
SLC champ and Hampton

:bang: Dammit, I knew somebody was going to throw that out :mad: :D

GGASU
November 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM

LOL We were 2-0 last year againist the best of the Gateway with one of the games played with our backup quarterback.

Both Montana and Appalachian would go undefeated in the Gateway this year. I will give you anyone out of the Gateway and ten points againist Montana or ASU in the playoffs.

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
LOL We were 2-0 last year againist the best of the Gateway with one of the games played with our backup quarterback.

Both Montana and Appalachian would go undefeated in the Gateway this year. I will give you anyone out of the Gateway and ten points againist Montana or ASU in the playoffs.

Overrated.

Your backup quaterback, might I remind you, got his ass positively kicked by UNI. Do you even SEE that game? He was the #1 reason Appy almost lost.

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Overrated.

Your backup quaterback, might I remind you, got his ass positively kicked by UNI. Do you even SEE that game? He was the #1 reason Appy almost lost.

You gotta love it.
What did that say about UNI:p

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM
You gotta love it.
What did that say about UNI:p

He's talking back up QB's doing, ahem, "well". Stick with us, FU. After he left, they did much better and eeked by with a win. That backup wouldn't play at Indiana State.

So, you were sayin'..............???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM
He's talking back up QB's doing, ahem, "well". Stick with us, FU. After he left, they did much better and eeked by with a win. That backup wouldn't play at Indiana State.

So, you were sayin'..............???

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I guess I look at the big picture like the time you rated ASU fourth among the playoff teams that UNI faces last yearxlolx

Sorry that big picture thing gets in the way

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I guess I look at the big picture like the time you rated ASU fourth among the playoff teams that UNI faces last yearxlolx

Sorry that big picture thing gets in the way

And?

:confused: :confused:

They were fourth. If the big picture thing is in your way, move over.

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
And?

They were fourth. If the big picture thing is in your way, move over.

How could they be fourth when they were the only team that beat UNI unless you think UNI should have been beaten alot sooner.

I am moving the big picture now:nod:

Griz Grunt
November 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM
...I'm a big picture guy...

A more honest stmt has never been posted on the internet!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx ;)

Now back to football.

Cap'n Cat
November 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM
How could they be fourth when they were the only team that beat UNI unless you think UNI should have been beaten alot sooner.

I am moving the big picture now:nod:

FU,

You don't deal in big picture worlds. Kind of a rote, black and white guy, you are. I'll 'splain my thoughts.

Of the four teams UNI faced in the playoffs last year, it was my observation, having personally witnessed all four games, that Appy was not the best of the four. Nothing more.

OK?

HiHiYikas
November 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Overrated.

I saw the game, and I have to tell you...I was SHOCKED that, after the end of the 4th quarter, the officials forgot to add UNI's "we kicked the other team's QB's ass" bonus points, which would have given UNI the 22-21 victory and their first National Championship.

Geeze, it would have been a UNI blowout if the "beating better teams in earlier rounds" bonus points had been added - something like 42-21 UNI, without a doubt.

I don't know what makes officials forget things like that, but, it's good for the Mountaineers that they did. ;)

I do hope that, if Edwards winds up seeing the field this postseason, he shows some improvement over last season. Whereas he wasn't exactly stellar against the Panthers in the NC game, Cap'n, your point is both relevant and sensible.

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
FU,

You don't deal in big picture worlds. Kind of a rote, black and white guy, you are. I'll 'splain my thoughts.

Of the four teams UNI faced in the playoffs last year, it was my observation, having personally witnessed all four games, that Appy was not the best of the four. Nothing more.

OK?

OK

I'll take black and white, rote kinda information like wins and losses
versus big picture putty cat kinda guys opinions:nod: :p

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I saw the game, and I have to tell you...I was SHOCKED that, after the end of the 4th quarter, the officials forgot to add UNI's "we kicked the other team's QB's ass" bonus points, which would have given UNI the 22-21 victory and their first National Championship.

Geeze, it would have been a UNI blowout if the "beating better teams in earlier rounds" bonus points had been added - something like 42-21 UNI, without a doubt.

I don't know what makes officials forget things like that, but, it's good for the Mountaineers that they did.

You can get in the I'm not a big picture kinda guy line with mexlolx

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Honestly, I don't have clue.

I am just trying to keep catfishccu from passing on post count:nod: :D

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM
teams the griz have beat: # 22 South Dakota state 36-7. # 23 Portland State 26-20 # 9 Cal Poly 10-9. and we do play the cats who are currently 18th in two weeks and who have won 6 in a row. not to mention we shut down a walter payton canidate in murietta.

BigApp
November 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
midwest bias xcoffeex

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
San Diego will most likely be one and done :)

OL FU
November 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM
San Diego will most likely be one and done :)

you are lovin' this, aren't you:p

psc2445
November 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=Cap'n Cat]No ****. Like I said in post #1, a down conference.

wow, just wow. hope there is no service fee on your speculatin' hotline. capn sounds like corso(put your money on the other)
xidiotx

BillLuc1982
November 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Appalachian State beat an extremely tough JMU!

I don't see them winning at all but they won't go byebye in the first round either.

skinny_uncle
November 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Tenn-Martin is in the OVC.
Lehigh is leading the PL.

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 07:24 PM
midwest bias xcoffeex

are you saying i have midwest bias? because first off montana is not in the midwest! and plus all those teams are voted in the top twenty five i didnt put em there.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 6th, 2006, 07:28 PM
teams the griz have beat: # 22 South Dakota state 36-7. # 23 Portland State 26-20 # 9 Cal Poly 10-9. and we do play the cats who are currently 18th in two weeks and who have won 6 in a row. not to mention we shut down a walter payton canidate in murietta.
Would you say that Montana has a better squad than 2004?

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
hard to say. im not saying we win the whole thing but i think we make it out of the first round. our defense is better than in 2004 but the major difference i see is at quarterback. Ochs was in his second year and knew what he was doing. Swogger has talent but hasnt seem to really come to his full potential yet and wont be able to since this is his one year on the team.

Death Dealer
November 6th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Ahem, excuse me BGE, I don't mean to interrupt you while you ridicule the Cap'n....especially when you doing that, but we're actually currently #10. O.K., you can carry on.:thumbsup:

Death Dealer
November 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Overrated.

That's a mighty big word you just slipped in there, cap'n. What it means is that App WON, and UNI LOST to a better team.:nod:

ASU Kep
November 6th, 2006, 08:51 PM
That's a mighty big word you just slipped in there, cap'n. What it means is that App WON, and UNI LOST.

Death Dealer = now officially my favorite Furman poster. Ever. :D :p

Death Dealer
November 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Death Dealer = now officially my favorite Furman poster. Ever. :D :p
Thanks Kep, just looking at the real picture, big or small.:D

GreenDay17
November 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
hard to say. im not saying we win the whole thing but i think we make it out of the first round. our defense is better than in 2004 but the major difference i see is at quarterback. Ochs was in his second year and knew what he was doing. Swogger has talent but hasnt seem to really come to his full potential yet and wont be able to since this is his one year on the team.

I agree that this year's defense is better. From the games I have seen (Sac St., Portland St., Weber St., Idaho St.) the special teams is better too. Where the Grizzlies are lacking is on the offensive side of the ball. When I saw the offense score points was when defense/special teams provided great field position.

A good team (not a great team) that doesn't get dominated in the field position game has a very good chance of beating Montana. Cal Poly almost beat them @ Missoula with an average starting field position of the minus 25 yard line because they only allowed UM to begin on the plus side of the 50 three times. UM's TD drive was only 25 yards.

This has been the M.O. for Montana much of this season. I really doubt they can win in the playoffs against a team that doesn't give them a short field.:twocents:(other than USD who would get absolutely blasted out of WaGriz Stadium)

ASU Kep
November 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
God I hope App State gets a chance to kick the crap outta UNI again this year.

placidlakegriz
November 6th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Two teams come to mind:

We just beat the number 6th ranked team and previously several other top 25 teams.

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I agree that this year's defense is better. From the games I have seen (Sac St., Portland St., Weber St., Idaho St.) the special teams is better too. Where the Grizzlies are lacking is on the offensive side of the ball. When I saw the offense score points was when defense/special teams provided great field position.

A good team (not a great team) that doesn't get dominated in the field position game has a very good chance of beating Montana. Cal Poly almost beat them @ Missoula with an average starting field position of the minus 25 yard line because they only allowed UM to begin on the plus side of the 50 three times. UM's TD drive was only 25 yards.

This has been the M.O. for Montana much of this season. I really doubt they can win in the playoffs against a team that doesn't give them a short field.:twocents:(other than USD who would get absolutely blasted out of WaGriz Stadium)

first off, lets give cal poly some credit they do have a very good defense. we need different play calling and we will be able to move the ball. second against "good" teams we had ****ty field position the entire game, Northern Arizona comes to mind and besides the fumble at the end of the game it was never very close. i believe as long as the griz have playoff games at home they will be favored to win those games.

rufus
November 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Appalachian State beat an extremely tough JMU!

I don't see them winning at all but they won't go byebye in the first round either.
I would say that App State actually beat an extremely weak JMU, which had struggled against a DII team the week before.

Luckily we seem to have left that team in Boone, and a new and improved team has emerged. Something clicked after the pathetic showing at App State.

GreenDay17
November 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM
first off, lets give cal poly some credit they do have a very good defense. we need different play calling and we will be able to move the ball. second against "good" teams we had ****ty field position the entire game, Northern Arizona comes to mind and besides the fumble at the end of the game it was never very close. i believe as long as the griz have playoff games at home they will be favored to win those games.

Cal Poly does deserve credit, and I'm not saying that Montana is not a very good team. They are. They just don't have a great offense.

Against NAU (which was a 24-21 game) the Grizzlies 3 TD drives were 46, 7, and 65 yards.

NAU's 2 TD's both were because of field position as they only had to drive 38 and 27 yards.

I believe this game epitomizes the Grizzlies - the defense is stout and hard to drive the ball on while the offense needs short fields to produce points (NAU is the 9th best defense in a 9 team Big Sky Conference in both total yards surrendered and points scored against).

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I would say that App State actually beat an extremely weak JMU, which had struggled against a DII team the week before.

Luckily we seem to have left that team in Boone, and a new and improved team has emerged. Something clicked after the pathetic showing at App State.
I would have to agree that the Dukes are a much better team now.....just as every other team. Playing at home does not gurantee a trip to Chatty....helpful...not required.

Go Dukes

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Cal Poly does deserve credit, and I'm not saying that Montana is not a very good team. They are. They just don't have a great offense.

Against NAU (which was a 24-21 game) the Grizzlies 3 TD drives were 46, 7, and 65 yards.

NAU's 2 TD's both were because of field position as they only had to drive 38 and 27 yards.

I believe this game epitomizes the Grizzlies - the defense is stout and hard to drive the ball on while the offense needs short fields to produce points (NAU is the 9th best defense in a 9 team Big Sky Conference in both total yards surrendered and points scored against).

i know i should be defending my team, but i agree on the last part of your post. against Idaho State (the worst pass defense in big sky) swogger was 15-30 for around 160 not impressive, but still i blame the playcalling and not him, though at times he did throw a little high.

GreenDay17
November 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
i know i should be defending my team, but i agree on the last part of your post. against Idaho State (the worst pass defense in big sky) swogger was 15-30 for around 160 not impressive, but still i blame the playcalling and not him, though at times he did throw a little high.

Yep, and against Idaho State the 2 TD's were on a 20 yard drive and an interception return by the defense.

It must be true - DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

poly51
November 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
everrrr... You guys wonder why I want SIU or ILSU to beat you. I do not want to see UNI play us again in the playoffs and kick our ass...because we just can't beat them!

The only way to beat them is to keep playing them. Look at Cal Poly vs Montana. 1-11 but that 1 was huge. We hope to see them again in the playoffs.

Block-A
November 6th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I know I'm a short-timer, but I must say that this is the most amusing thread I've ever seen on AGS (the San Diego threads got old... got oreos?).

The Cap'n is a troll, in the best sense of the term.

Peems
November 6th, 2006, 09:57 PM
The only way to beat them is to keep playing them. Look at Cal Poly vs Montana. 1-11 but that 1 was huge. We hope to see them again in the playoffs.

while i believe cal poly deserves to be in the playoffs, i personally would not like to see them again. the one thing i didnt understand about the game was why you didnt throw it to barden every play?

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Yep, and against Idaho State the 2 TD's were on a 20 yard drive and an interception return by the defense.

It must be true - DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

It sure as hell better be this year! And if we don't go deep, Bobby Hauck better can that f-ing OC in the off season! :bang: :bang:

poly51
November 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM
while i believe cal poly deserves to be in the playoffs, i personally would not like to see them again. the one thing i didnt understand about the game was why you didnt throw it to barden every play?

I agree. They should throw to Barden a lot more. It would make Noble a super star again. I think an opening round game of the Griz and Cal Poly would be super. It would definately be THE GAME of the first round.

AZGrizFan
November 6th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I agree. They should throw to Barden a lot more. It would make Noble a super star again. I think an opening round game of the Griz and Cal Poly would be super. It would definately be THE GAME of the first round.

Don't think that'll happen, at least I hope not. I want one of the cupcakes to get started..... :read: :mad:

Torero Tradition
November 6th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Lehigh = One and Done... if they even make it

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Griz have looked poor the last few weeks. Heard Hauck told people if they don't like the way things are being done that they shouldn't come to the games. :rolleyes:

November 7th, 2006, 02:40 AM
... Heard Hauck told people if they don't like the way things are being done that they shouldn't come to the games...considering all the boos I heard on their game broadcast, I don't blame him. Like the previous Griz coaches he's looking to get away from the freaks.

PantherRob82
November 7th, 2006, 02:53 AM
C'mon Ralph, sticking with a poor QB, bad play calling. Griz fans don't stand for that stuff. If the fans actually follow his wishes he will be gone very quickly. Money talks and sold out stadiums = :twocents:

VictorG
November 7th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Man, R! I pull picks out of my ass. I'm a big picture guy when it comes to college football.

Bifocals will help that!;)

VictorG
November 7th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Just asking here but does anyone think the Griz offense will perform better against non conference foes (Poly excluded because we've played them so much lately) who haven't prepared for our offense for 3 years straight?

LUHawker
November 7th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Lehigh = One and Done... if they even make it

USD will be the first out. How do I know?

Because they ain't getting in.

Cool your jets, Torrero.

asu7
November 7th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Ya APP is a different team now too ... We even have a new QB ... you guys played against Trey ... which he was still recovering from a shoulder injury ... APP is a different team too ... Do not expect the same team if you make it back to THE ROCK ... as we will not be expectin the same JMU team ... our O was awful at that time ... it has changed a lot now that we have a definite at QB ...

both teams are different ... you guys will have to prepare for a new QB and we will have to prepare for what you are doin differently ... JMU is not the only team that has changed over the season ... it should be a great game if it happens

asu7
November 7th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I would have to agree that the Dukes are a much better team now.....just as every other team. Playing at home does not gurantee a trip to Chatty....helpful...not required.

Go Dukes

exactly ... we have a new QB than the previous meeting and our O is stepping up :) ... it should make for a great game IF it happens ... :hurray: WELCOME TO THE ROCK :rotateh:

89Hen
November 7th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Tenn-Martin is in the OVC.
Lehigh is leading the PL.
Yes, that's why I said "Hampton and the PL rep. Tenn-Martin a close third". I don't see any of those three winning in the first round, but of course once the field is announced I reserve the right to change my mind.

Black Saturday
November 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Is your last name Hansen?

Did JMU beat APP earlier this year?

:confused:

DuckDuckGriz
November 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Isn't this the same guy that predicted UM would be a "dud" this year?
:rolleyes: You're just waitin for it aren't you?......Sick.....

psc2445
November 7th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Is your last name Hansen?

Did JMU beat APP earlier this year?

:confused:

ole Don rearin his head over here too?xidiotx

Black Saturday
November 7th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Citadel has losses to Texas A&M, Charleston Southern-possible playoff team, Pittsburgh, and APP. Not a bad resume considering they had the stones to put 2 I-A teams on their schedule.

Wofford has losses to South Carolina, Furman, and APP.

Elon, well they're just Elon.

Black and Gold Express
November 7th, 2006, 10:25 AM
App State would be a 6-5 team in the Gateway this year. Same with Montana.

I guess we'll just have to beat all the GFC teams we face again this year and hope that maybe we can be worthy.

I'm actually trying to recall the last time a Gateway team did beat us in the playoffs. I can't think of one since I've been following the Apps (1992).

GreenDay17
November 7th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Just asking here but does anyone think the Griz offense will perform better against non conference foes (Poly excluded because we've played them so much lately) who haven't prepared for our offense for 3 years straight?

Not really - the Grizzlies are playing with a QB that is what he is. When he was at Washington State he was a (approx.) 50% passer and that is what he is (approx.) at Montana. Couple that with the loss at the beginning of the season of Lex Hilliard and I believe the offense is limited at two very important positions (3 if you include the OC).

Although your question has some basis, this problem with familiarity is the same problem that all teams have within their conference - more so for the schools whose coaching staff have been there longer than the 3 years for Hauck in Montana (ie. Kramer at Montana State, Walsh @ Portland State, Wulff @ Eastern Washington, Sauers @ NAU, Lewis @ Idaho State).

I believe the problem falls on the shoulders of a QB with accuracy concerns, too many 5 and 7 step drops with a young offensive line, and the unfortunate loss of one of the better RB's in 1AA.:twocents:

asu7
November 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I guess we'll just have to beat all the GFC teams we face again this year and hope that maybe we can be worthy.

I'm actually trying to recall the last time a Gateway team did beat us in the playoffs. I can't think of one since I've been following the Apps (1992).

This is about your sig ... I believe if SD gets in they should go to the best team ... the worst team should get the 1 seed and the second worst team should get the 2 seed ... if that were the case based on rankings ... we would get SD ... will it happen? I doubt it :bang:

AppGuy04
November 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
This is about your sig ... I believe if SD gets in they should go to the best team ... the worst team should get the 1 seed and the second worst team should get the 2 seed ... if that were the case based on rankings ... we would get SD ... will it happen? I doubt it :bang:

if Montana is #2, they would go there.

asu7
November 7th, 2006, 11:32 AM
if Montana is #2, they would go there.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Pard4Life
November 7th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, PL champion is going out in the first round in Amherst.

BigApp
November 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM
are you saying i have midwest bias? because first off montana is not in the midwest! and plus all those teams are voted in the top twenty five i didnt put em there.

nope, not you, this thread.

Cap'n Cat
November 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Probably never met before, BGE.

Loving this thread!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ronbo
November 7th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Loving this thread!!

Got a brand new Montana Cap that says we don't lose in the 1st round. You willing to put up a UNI Cap where your mouth is Cap'n? And don't stiff me like Chris Kelly (Great West Columnist) did when I bet him caps that Cal Poly would win the Great West in 2004.

Walkon79
November 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Two teams come to mind:

You've got to be kidding. EVERY game in the Big Sky is a challenge!

Walkon79
November 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM
One Team Conference? Look again my friend!

Peems
November 7th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Not really - the Grizzlies are playing with a QB that is what he is. When he was at Washington State he was a (approx.) 50% passer and that is what he is (approx.) at Montana. Couple that with the loss at the beginning of the season of Lex Hilliard and I believe the offense is limited at two very important positions (3 if you include the OC).

Although your question has some basis, this problem with familiarity is the same problem that all teams have within their conference - more so for the schools whose coaching staff have been there longer than the 3 years for Hauck in Montana (ie. Kramer at Montana State, Walsh @ Portland State, Wulff @ Eastern Washington, Sauers @ NAU, Lewis @ Idaho State).

I believe the problem falls on the shoulders of a QB with accuracy concerns, too many 5 and 7 step drops with a young offensive line, and the unfortunate loss of one of the better RB's in 1AA.:twocents:

i agree with you on a few things. mostly the long drop backs. this falls, as you mentioned, on the OC why the hell do we have to send all our receivers 25 yards downfield. if swogger has accuracy problems give him some short stuff across the middle. our short curl routes, screens, dump offs to the RBs. we did some of that at the end of the cal poly game and what do you know we moved the ball. i bet you our RBs have a total of 4 catches between them this year.

Peems
November 7th, 2006, 07:13 PM
just checked and sure enough our RBs have caught a total of 3 passes all year. one was by greg coleman who played only in the iowa game and has been out with injury for the rest of the year.

Black and Gold Express
November 7th, 2006, 10:13 PM

Loving this thread!!

I know we beat WKU in 2000 on the road in the quarters. I think that was the only other one. So 3-0 vs. the GFC isn't too bad a start of dominance. :thumbsup:

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 04:02 PM
first round exits....

hampton. lehigh. umass.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
first round exits....

hampton. lehigh. umass.

I think it's quite likely Lehigh will play Umass in the first round. I think if Lehigh makes the playoffs they can beat quite a few of the other teams. Unfortunately there is no chance to play those teams and they'll be sent to the wolves, most likely Umass possibily JMU, App State or YSU.

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
i seem to remember JMU playing Lehigh in the first round in 04. that was a rough game. though this time around it probably wouldn't be played on Lehigh turf.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2006, 04:16 PM
i seem to remember JMU playing Lehigh in the first round in 04. that was a rough game. though this time around it probably wouldn't be played on Lehigh turf.

There's zero chance it would be played at Lehigh. With 3 of the top 5 teams in the country within 6 hours of Bethlehem or Easton Lafayette or Lehigh will be sent packing to one of those top teams. If Holy Cross makes it they will most certaintly be playing Umass.

BlueHen86
November 8th, 2006, 04:20 PM
If by 'first round' you mean two weeks into the season I say the Hens.

JohnStOnge
November 8th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I think it's very unlikely that either App State or Montana will lose in the first round.

App State did beat James Madison; which is a pretty decent team. App did benefit from a +2 turnover margin in the game and had fewer total yards (but more rushing yards) than JMU...but that's till a pretty "quality" win.

As someone else noted, I think, Cal Poly's a pretty good team too and Montana beat them.

I agree with what someone else said. You're talking about these teams likely playing at home against opponents that are weaker than Cal Poly and JMU.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Being the number 1 seed (which is very likely at this point) App State should get an easy game (the committee also gives the number one team the luxury of a weaker opponent even in the 2001-forward playoff system). I'm surprised you picked them. The PL teams are always suspect and the PL has no strong candidates. Even if App state really is overrated (which I don't think) I don't see them losing in round one.

I do agree that the Socon isn't as good as was hyped early season.

As for Montana, I think the BSC is still decent enough. Montana would be in my top 4 most likely national champions team.

umassfan
November 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM
first round exits....

hampton. lehigh. umass.
How are Lehigh and UMass going to be first round exits when they will likely face each other in round 1 xidiotx

Peems
November 8th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Being the number 1 seed (which is very likely at this point) App State should get an easy game (the committee also gives the number one team the luxury of a weaker opponent even in the 2001-forward playoff system). I'm surprised you picked them. The PL teams are always suspect and the PL has no strong candidates. Even if App state really is overrated (which I don't think) I don't see them losing in round one.

I do agree that the Socon isn't as good as was hyped early season.

As for Montana, I think the BSC is still decent enough. Montana would be in my top 4 most likely national champions team.

oh how i miss the days when the BSC was an offensive juggernaut.: smh :

GreenDay17
November 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM
oh how i miss the days when the BSC was an offensive juggernaut.: smh :

Me too. I think some of it has to do with the defenses getting better, but at the same time the offenses are becoming very predictable and vanilla. The BSC used to be the trend setters, spreading out defenses and attacking every down. Now they seem to play Big 10 style football.

chiapet9
November 8th, 2006, 08:21 PM
How are Lehigh and UMass going to be first round exits when they will likely face each other in round 1 xidiotx

there are 16 teams. lehigh MIGHT play someone else (JMU perhaps). also - its a guess. i have no clue who will exit the first round.

Peems
November 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Me too. I think some of it has to do with the defenses getting better, but at the same time the offenses are becoming very predictable and vanilla. The BSC used to be the trend setters, spreading out defenses and attacking every down. Now they seem to play Big 10 style football.

remember back when PSU was #2 in 2000 and blanchard and charles and dunn and company were so explosive. and hell even the griz (and we complained then if only we knew what we do know) would put up numbers. those were the days.:(

GreenDay17
November 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
remember back when PSU was #2 in 2000 and blanchard and charles and dunn and company were so explosive. and hell even the griz (and we complained then if only we knew what we do know) would put up numbers. those were the days.:(

Shootouts indeed!!

I had the displeasure of coaching against 1) Dickenson, Baker, Gurnsey, Wells, and Cockhill, 2) Ah Yat and Douglass, 3) Miller, Farris, and Humphrey. That was a great run of offense for the Grizzlies, covering 1992 to 2000 I think. That Dickenson was something else, he could paint a Picasso on a cardboard box using crayons. I remember people giving Miller a hard time, but he was one of the toughest guys I've ever seen. We knocked him out of the game twice, once in the 2nd qtr and once in the 3rd, and he still returned to get the win. Still makes me mad to this day.

rcny46
November 8th, 2006, 09:12 PM
There's zero chance it would be played at Lehigh. With 3 of the top 5 teams in the country within 6 hours of Bethlehem or Easton Lafayette or Lehigh will be sent packing to one of those top teams. If Holy Cross makes it they will most certaintly be playing Umass.

If Holy Cross makes it and goes to Amherst,You could host UNH.:D .I just don't want them going out to Ohio to play the one team that would worry me the most out of all their possible matchups.Of course,all that would be predicated on UNH making the field in the first place.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2006, 09:20 PM
If Holy Cross makes it and goes to Amherst,You could host UNH.:D .I just don't want them going out to Ohio to play the one team that would worry me the most out of all their possible matchups.Of course,all that would be predicated on UNH making the field in the first place.

That is the only realistic chance for Lehigh to get a home game. If Holy Cross were to make it as an at-large, at 8-3 i think they have a decent chance, that could open up the door for Lehigh. Lehigh has the $$ and the facilities to basically host a game anytime the playoff commitee allows them to. Even so i don't think a 7-4 Lehigh team would be deserving of hosting. In 2004 when Lehigh hosted i think they were deserving. They were 9-2 and PL Co-Champs, perhaps they should have hosted someone other than 9-2 JMU but that's how it worked out.

JMUfan2008
November 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I think it's very unlikely that either App State or Montana will lose in the first round.

App State did beat James Madison; which is a pretty decent team. App did benefit from a +2 turnover margin in the game and had fewer total yards (but more rushing yards) than JMU...but that's till a pretty "quality" win.

As someone else noted, I think, Cal Poly's a pretty good team too and Montana beat them.

I agree with what someone else said. You're talking about these teams likely playing at home against opponents that are weaker than Cal Poly and JMU.

JMU at that point in the season was not a "quality" win...well, maybe a little, but we weren't nearly at the level we are now. That team would have lost to half the teams on our schedule...

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
SAN DIEGO/DELAWARE STATE.....LEAVE DUH DANCE...EARLY!.....NO WAIT!....TOREROS ARE IN....DEN STATE IS WOOFED....SAN DIEGO OUT....DEN STATE....IS STILL WOOFED...:nod:...BAWK!

BillLuc1982
December 3rd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Two teams come to mind:

Hmm both teams could end up in 'Nooga

Daved
December 3rd, 2006, 09:09 PM
Hmm both teams could end up in 'NoogaHope one of 'em misses the train and has to stay in Boone!

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Hope one of 'em misses the train and has to stay in Boone!
Keep hope alive! xlolx

Ronbo
December 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Two teams come to mind:

You gotta' lotta' crow to eat Cap'n. Let's see, Montana will be a dud, Montana won't win the Big Sky, Montana will lose to the Cats, and Montana will exit the first round of the playoffs. Better get that gut checked, it's giving you lot's of bad signals.:nod: :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx

lizrdgizrd
December 4th, 2006, 11:26 AM
You gotta' lotta' crow to eat Cap'n. Let's see, Montana will be a dud, Montana won't win the Big Sky, Montana will lose to the Cats, and Montana will exit the first round of the playoffs. Better get that gut checked, it's giving you lot's of bad signals.:nod: :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx
You're just reading it wrong Ronbo. You go agains't the Cap'n's gut. If he says it'll happen, it won't! Be glad he's NOT on your side. ;)